Pre-order "bonuses"

Soo... how about offering something of value to the loyal customers who've already bought pretty much every single episode of pretty much all of your games?

"Free Telltale Games episode of your choice!" Wow, thanks, but I've already got two extra episodes of Sam & Max. Don't really need any more.

"Collector's DVD slipcase" Yeeeeah, doesn't really do it for me either.

"Access to exclusive Monkey Island section of TT site" Really doesn't do it for me.

I mean, a lot of people have been loyal customers for quite a while now. How about giving like, a discount or dropping the postage on the DVD or something? I do understand you have a business to run, but still, offering free episodes of games I already own doesn't really entice me into pre-ordering anything.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Gimme a Guybrush action figure! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Where is this mystical "exclusive Monkey Island section"? I'm apparently incredibly dense, because I can't seem to find it (though I have pre-ordered).
  • edited June 2009
    ^ It's the Private Pirates Club forum beneath this one on the main list.

Dominic Armato will be dropping in there, and that alone is a fantastic bonus.

(Though I have to say that I too already own everything Telltale have made, so that free episode isn't really doing anything for me)
  • edited June 2009
    I don't really see the point in having a VIP lounge for us who preordered, if they only ignore most of the questions asked.. My two cents.. I at least feel ignored. I had at least one very simple question, but noooo.. :( I got my answer to the other question, when I watched the trailer again ;O

Curly clouds <3
  • edited June 2009
    well I guess they are pretty swamped right now with the announcement and the e3 coming up...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I think the first Monkey Island cover art by Purcell in 20 years is pretty awesome...

If you don't like the preorder goodies you can always wait and buy the game on release day for the same price without them, of course.
    jannar85 wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in having a VIP lounge for us who preordered, if they only ignore most of the questions asked.. My two cents.. I at least feel ignored. I had at least one very simple question, but noooo.. :( I got my answer to the other question, when I watched the trailer again ;O

Curly clouds <3

I don't think the staff knows about the forum yet. It'll warm up. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    I think the first Monkey Island cover art by Purcell in 20 years is pretty awesome...

If you don't like the preorder goodies you can always wait and buy the game on release day for the same price without them, of course.

The art is awesome!

That said, I would not mind it saying that the price for buying when the game is released is going to be the same as the pre-order price; it wasn't clear if the price was part of the "bonus".

And I will say that while I happily pre-ordered...the bonuses aren't, really, that great for someone who's already a Telltale fan, seeing as he or she probably has what he or she wants, episode-wise; that does seem to be the main "pre-order bonus" thing.

As you say, we can always order later, but it wouldn't hurt to include SOMETHING else that's a bonus and feels...well, DEFINITELY worth a PRE-order, as opposed to just waiting for 7/7.
  • edited June 2009
    ...Oh, come on, now. *points at a new thread in the private forum* Out of respect for it being private, I'll not specify what's in it, but I'll say this: you have PHOTOS of things that would be WONDERFUL bonus-features for those pre-ordering. Heck, you could ship 'em with the DVD at the end of the season.
  • edited June 2009
    I pre-ordered, but I don't see the private forum. Where is it? How do I access it?
  • edited June 2009
    I'm a little curious if anyone knows if the free game coupon has an expiry date. In a related question, does anyone know when the "Season Upgrade" will show up for Wallace and Grommit? I figure there's no point in getting a W&G game if all it does is cost me the bundle price. I assume it's at the end of the season, or something to that effect. I've never really been in the situation where I've had one game and wanted the others.
  • edited June 2009
    dankirk wrote: »
    I pre-ordered, but I don't see the private forum. Where is it? How do I access it?
    I was wondering about that too.
  • edited June 2009
    It should be right under this forum. It wasn't for me, and I had to send in a support request. They sorted it out in just a few minutes, apparently some database hiccup happened. I assume something similar has happened to you.
  • edited June 2009
    Is also hidden for me...

I will send them a message right away :)
  • edited June 2009
    I appreciate the bonuses! (Thanks, TT!)
  • edited June 2009
    I appreciate the bonuses! (Thanks, TT!)

agreed, however I haven't preordered yet... no paypal...
  • edited June 2009
    I like the bonuses although I am nearly out of games to buy. I used my free code to finally pick up the first episode of Bone which I've been meaning to play for a while. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind a % off coupon for the store in the future so I can pick up those two Bone discs.
  • edited June 2009
    It should be right under this forum. It wasn't for me, and I had to send in a support request. They sorted it out in just a few minutes, apparently some database hiccup happened. I assume something similar has happened to you.
    Well, there's the big, honking "ENTER HERE" link in the order confirmation mail that I'm very sure adds the forum to your list of forums...

np: Tosca - Springer (No Hassle (Disc 1))
  • edited June 2009
    I used the free game bonus to go back and get a game I missed the first time around. Bone.

So I quite enjoyed the bonus. And I'm super stoked about the Steve Purcell MI artwork. The cover for MI2 is one of my all-time favorite artworks, and it belongs in a museum.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't see why anyone would complain about this when its the same price as it will be after, its just a little something extra for no extra charge. The art is a HUGE bonus for me, as was my free Wallace and Gromit episode :3 Also brought me back here! I'm happy!
  • edited June 2009
    Someone who's already ordered: does the free game come as a coupon code to use later or does it force you to choose one before the transaction is complete?
  • edited June 2009
    EMAN528 wrote: »
    Someone who's already ordered: does the free game come as a coupon code to use later or does it force you to choose one before the transaction is complete?

It's a coupon code.

I've not decided myself yet what to purchase...
  • edited June 2009
    You get a coupon code to be redeemed later.
  • edited June 2009
    Hakobus wrote: »
    I mean, a lot of people have been loyal customers for quite a while now. How about giving like, a discount or dropping the postage on the DVD or something? I do understand you have a business to run, but still, offering free episodes of games I already own doesn't really entice me into pre-ordering anything.

You should want to pre-order to support Telltale, because they're a freakin awesome, classy business that repeatedly puts out great games. Seriously, they're releasing new Monkey Island games, I can't believe anyone, anywhere who is any kind of fan of Monkey Island would even consider complaining about this in any way. SHOW THE LOVE MAN
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    dankirk wrote: »

If you're having trouble viewing the private forum please send an email to support@telltalegames.com , and we'll get it straightened out.
  • edited June 2009
    Soo... how about offering something of value to the loyal customers who've already bought pretty much every single episode of pretty much all of your games?

"Free Telltale Games episode of your choice!" Wow, thanks, but I've already got two extra episodes of Sam & Max. Don't really need any more.

"Access to exclusive Monkey Island section of TT site" Really doesn't do it for me.

You should take a step back and think about how hilariously ungrateful you sound :) You could always give the free game coupon to a friend.
  • edited June 2009
    I fully intend to pre-order very soon. And I love the bonus' mentioned.

However, I would be happy beyond belief to see a Guybrush, Lemonhead, Le Foot, Wally, or Elaine action figure at the bottom of my game box.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the preorder bonus is good enough. The private forum access itself simply seals the deal. :D

Ah, and if anyone doesn't want their coupon code, feel free to throw one my way. ;-)
  • edited June 2009

So you've been offered a bunch of free stuff in addition to the games you're getting, and you're complaining that it's not good enough? Nice.
  • edited June 2009
    How about linking up some avatars in that private forum that we can use to make ourselves look like Guybrush on various other forums on the interwebs?
  • edited June 2009
    Not that I'm complaining, I would have happily paid $70 for just the episodic games of the MI series.

EDIT: Also, I haven't downloaded anything yet with my free-bee. I've got the Sam & Max games, and wanted to try Strongbad, but haven't gotten to it yet, so THANK YOU!
  • edited June 2009
    I'm gonna preorder for the artwork alone. I love the artwork for the first two, and I can't wait for this one.
  • edited June 2009
    Jenny wrote: »
    I fully intend to pre-order very soon. And I love the bonus' mentioned.

However, I would be happy beyond belief to see a Guybrush, Lemonhead, Le Foot, Wally, or Elaine action figure at the bottom of my game box.
    hell i'd be extremely pleased if they just made some MI figures that we could BUY. I'd get the whole set.

telltale, why don't i just give you my bank account number
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah I thought for the pre-order bonus there'd be something more interesting (Murray the talking skull?) but at least I can use the coupon for Wallace & Gromit ep1 which I still haven't played.
  • edited June 2009
    each box should include a skeleton arm with glue on it's hand
  • edited June 2009
    Is the secret forum supposed to be right below this one on the list? I see nothing. :confused:
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    each box should include a skeleton arm with glue on it's hand

Not a chicken with a pulley in the middle?
  • edited June 2009
    or perhaps some wooden nickles and a pearly bra
  • edited June 2009
    Something pink
  • edited June 2009
    So you've been offered a bunch of free stuff in addition to the games you're getting, and you're complaining that it's not good enough? Nice.
    No, I wasn't actually complaining. But it might've come out too-ungrateful-sounding. I was asking why Telltale keeps offering free episodes of games that many people already own. I mean, sure it's nice to cater to new fans, but how about also thinking of the ones who already have all of Telltale's episodic releases?
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    No, I wasn't actually complaining. But it might've come out too-ungrateful-sounding. I was asking why Telltale keeps offering free episodes of games that many people already own. I mean, sure it's nice to cater to new fans, but how about also thinking of the ones who already have all of Telltale's episodic releases?

If you look around, you'll notice an abundance of people who joined in June or May. We want to cater to them as much as we want to cater to you. Many people DO own our entire collection, so maybe the free episode is nothing to excited for. I don't know if there's an expiration date, but I'd suggest holding on to it if there isn't. You can either buy now and get free stuff, or buy later and just get the games. Sorry if awesome artwork isn't your cup of tea :( I think the marketing team wanted to get something cool for the hardcore fans and I think most people on here would agree that it's pretty awesome.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.