Pre-order "bonuses"

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I agree with the original posting: I do not care about any artwork (I buy a game to play!), the coupon is actually just worth $5 (as you can buy any episode for $5 right now using the latest promotion code), and it should be in Telltale's own interest to give as much information as possible to people who have not pre-ordered the game yet (in order to convince them to do so).

If you compare this with W&G (the pre-order offer was $26 and you got 2 bonus episodes), this is not a very attractive deal, especially now that it seems there will be keyboard control for TMI again. :(
  • edited June 2009
    this is not a very attractive deal

It's freakin' Monkey Island! That's an attractive deal within itself. I don't see why Telltale should have to offer any pre-order bonuses at all, but I think it's great they do. The unique Steve Purcell box is more than enough for me, let alone a free episode (to gift to a friend).
  • edited June 2009
    It's freakin' Monkey Island! That's an attractive deal within itself. I don't see why Telltale should have to offer any pre-order bonuses at all, but I think it's great they do. The unique Steve Purcell box is more than enough for me, let alone a free episode (to gift to a friend).

Yeah, I don't get this either. It really baffles me how much complaining people do on these forums. It's like whining about a Ferrari because the cupholder is out of place.
  • edited June 2009
    It's freakin' Monkey Island! That's an attractive deal within itself.

I had also enjoyed playing Monkey Island almost 20 years ago. But there have been more than enough movies or games that got worse and worse with every sequel. - This game certainly will attract a lot of people (and I guess this is Telltale's main motivation to develop a sequel more than 9 years after the "Escape from Monkey Island" was released), but that does not mean that I will worship it just because of its name. - The name alone does not make me pay about $35 for a game 5 week in advance without knowing what I will really get for my money.
    I don't see why Telltale should have to offer any pre-order bonuses at all, but I think it's great they do.
    All I did was to directly compare their pre-order offer for TMI to their pre-order offer for W&G. - And you have to admit that a $8.95 discount on the final sales price plus two free games (worth $8.95 at that time) is a better deal than no discount at all plus one free game (worth $5 right now) plus some exclusive artwork and access to a "secret website" that is mainly interesting for people who worship everything about "Monkey Island" (and buy all the merchandise).
    Personally I am most interested in good adventure games, no matter if it is about Guybrush & LeCuck, Sam & Max, Wallace & Grommit, Tom & Jerry, so I would prefer a discount (like Telltale did for W&G) over of a "fan bonus". That's all.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I couldn't care less about the discount, or the extra episode... for me, it was a bit about the purcell DVD thingy and everything about preordering a new Monkey Freaking Island game by telltale....

Heck....I probably would have preordered if it where more expensive than the normal one "just for the support".......
  • edited June 2009
    Hm i dunno if i got this right. So Preorders will get a nice Purcell cover for their DVD and the others will get something uglier afterwards? Somehow questionable but worth the Preorder then.

The other two points don't make sense to me:

Special forum:
    So creating something and closing it for the majority and then afterwards opening it for a few is a feature?

Extra Episode:
    As it has been mentioned already. If someone is interested in a Season he probably bought it already and if not it isn't quite useful. Although it sounds good as a feature for TTG in order to get people introduced into other series.

After all lowering the price a bit like for W&G was overall the better solution in my opinion, from a customers point of view.
  • edited June 2009
    I have a question. Does the free episode also count for xbla episodes like Wallace and Gromit. I have all strong bads and dont have enough points.
  • edited June 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I have a question. Does the free episode also count for xbla episodes like Wallace and Gromit. I have all strong bads and dont have enough points.
    The free episode has to be bought on the telltale store, so I don't think you can get an xbla one.
  • edited June 2009
    1. It is a preorder bonus.
    2. It is coming to you free - to the majority who would have preordered regardless.
    3. Why do you feel you are entitled to aught else?
  • edited June 2009
    Because people like to bitch about everything and anything. Personally, I didn't preorder it for bonuses, I preordered it because I want Monkey Island. Quite simple really.
  • edited June 2009
    Masquerade wrote: »
    Why do you feel you are entitled to aught else?
    Why else should you spend your money now when you do not get the game before July 7th, regardless if you pre-order it or not? (unless there is a bonus included) - This is different than for products that are actually shipped (like books or DVDs), and the reason for placing an order in advance is to make sure that you get the product immediately at the time it is released.
  • edited June 2009
    Why else should you spend your money now when you do not get the game before July 7th, regardless if you pre-order it or not? (unless there is a bonus included) - This is different than for products that are actually shipped (like books or DVDs), and the reason for placing an order in advance is to make sure that you get the product immediately at the time it is released.

But there is a bonus included. ;) Some people just seem to take issue with what that bonus is, which seems altogether nonsensical. I could say that a preorder of Tales Of Monkey Island should include and original art piece by Steve Purcell, a gold plated disc and a $100 coupon - yet that would not make me any more entitled to it now, would it? Many games are also preordered irrespective of whether or not bonuses are included or not. It is an incentive, certainly. Yet by no means compulsory.

If you do not consider these pre-order bonuses to be worth your while: then simply do not preorder it. Creating a storm in a tea-cup for the sake of it is rather unnecessary.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the slipcase is a cool bonus and I'd love to preorder... but I want subtitles! Ok, I understand english pretty well but I don't like to pay for something in english that maybe it's going to be on shops in my language later. That's the reason of not buying here S&M but bought the rest of your games (I even have Texas Hold'em... well, I got that one free with the survey:D). Strong Bad isn't probably going to be out of USA and W&G have subtitles!

So... what I'd like to know is if Monkey will have... or if I have to wait until it's on the shops here in xxxxxxs months.

I suppose you don't want to say "no" yet to avoid the loose of customers but... if it's "yes" I wanna know before June 6th!
  • edited June 2009
    Masquerade wrote: »
    But there is a bonus included. ;)
    True. But as Hakobus explained in the very first posting in this thread, this bonus is not that attractive for some people as it was for Wallace & Gromit:
    • The DVD slipcase painted by Steve Purcell does not give you any value unless you are a collector or a big fan of Steve Purcell (unless you can sell it on eBay later). I am neither. I am just interested in getting a good adventure game.
    • The free Telltale game episode does not make too much sense for people who have purchased all the other games already. (I got everything but "Strong Bad"; and I do not like those characters at all.) Besides I consider this more as a bonus for Telltale than for the customer, as many people who play one episode of another series will probably buy the upgrade for the full series later.
    • The "exclusive Monkey Island section" again is mainly interesting for fans of the "legacy" games who soak up every new information they can get like a sponge.
    On the other hand site, a $8.95 pre-order discount (as it was offered for W&G) should be attractive for everybody (except for Telltale), since you can use the money you have saved for whatever you like. - That's all I wanted to state.
  • edited June 2009
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! I wants me some booty!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hakobus wrote: »
    I was asking why Telltale keeps offering free episodes of games that many people already own.
    They give out episodes somewhat often, because the episodes are theirs to give. If they had to buy something new to give, or have something made, or ship a physical item, they'd be taking a much bigger loss.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm preordering for Steve Purcell's painting!
    Although a poster would look better than a slipcase on my wall ;-D
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale's grave mistake: they forgot to ask Nightsurfer what would be an acceptable bonus FOR HIM. What's this? Artwork, Secret Forum, and a Free Game?? BAH. It's like they didn't even ASK Nightsurfer what HE wanted!
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    They give out episodes somewhat often, because the episodes are theirs to give. If they had to buy something new to give, or have something made, or ship a physical item, they'd be taking a much bigger loss.
    Very true that.

As it has become apparent that the free episode comes as a coupon code and not as something you need to choose right away, I think it actually is a pretty good deal.

I'd like to know if the code has an expiration date, though, since I do own all currently released episodes of all of Telltale's episodic catalogue.
  • edited June 2009
    I would also like to know from someone official *nudge TTG staff* if the code for a free episode has an expiration date. I will be pre-ordering, and if I hold on to the code for a later purchase, I would hate for it to expire without me knowing. I don't mind if it has an expiration date, I just want to know what it is.
  • edited June 2009
    After the Wallace and Gromit pre-order deal, I don't think Telltale can really call this an "Amazing" pre-order deal. That's not to say they owe us anything or that they must do that again, but this pre-order "deal" is fairly average at best by comparison. :P

I'll take it, certainly, but really the cover art is the only thing that has me interested....and it is frankly a bonus that we got for free during seasons 1 and 2 of Sam and Max.
  • edited June 2009
    Mh... can the coupon-code be used by another person?
  • edited June 2009
    Can't wait to see a new Steve Purcell Monkey Island cover!
  • edited June 2009
    man i love this but now ill never get a classic monkey island poster from the old days haha.. darn i wished mine wasnt damaged long ago (flood)
  • edited June 2009
    that steve purcell cover better come in poster form! :D
  • edited June 2009
    What can I say? Access to the secret preorder forum is, to me, pretty neato. Especially considering some of the discussions being held there. Limited edition Steve Purcell DVD slip? Excellent on its own, throw in a signature with it and it's golden. :3 Free bonus game? Neat, now I can try SBCG4AP like I keep telling myself to.

In the end though, for me, the greatest preorder bonus is simply getting to play the games as and when they're released. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the free episode coupon doesn't seem to work with CSI: Hard Evidence. Is this true?
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder - do we get the collector's and original slipcase? What if we decide we prefer the original one? :)
  • edited June 2009
    I still would like to know what's the difference to the Sam&Max DVDs. Mine show Purcell paintings as well, so what's exatcly the extra?
  • ScottAlexanderScottAlexander Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    @taumel

The difference here is that Steve Purcell doesn't work for Telltale on a daily basis, with Sam&Max he was here on a regular basis. Now he's doing this because he rules.
  • edited June 2009
    JDspeeder1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the free episode coupon doesn't seem to work with CSI: Hard Evidence. Is this true?
    CSI is not really an "episode". - The coupon is worth $8.95 and can only be used for games offered for that price. (You can not get a $8.95 discount on anything else, like a whole season or a season upgrade.)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The coupon does have an expiration date, but it's a year from now, so hopefully you'll find a reason to use it before then. :D
    Mh... can the coupon-code be used by another person?

Sure. Just give it to them and tell them to enter it during checkout.
  • edited June 2009
    I think that ofering a poster and a Map of Monkey Island (or any other island for the matter) would be a nice adition to the Collectors edition.

A exclusive cover is nice, but shallow.
  • edited June 2009
    As well as the Steve Purcell cover art as I'd be interested to see how that would look, its a shame copies can't be signed by Ron Gilbert himself that would be nice extra to the pre-order
  • edited June 2009
    @taumel

The difference here is that Steve Purcell doesn't work for Telltale on a daily basis, with Sam&Max he was here on a regular basis. Now he's doing this because he rules.
    Ah okay i see.

Hmm but why keeping this only for some users and not share it with all?! I mean i would love to see my game packaged the best way generally.

Maybe i just lack this freaky exclusive/vip makes me high gen.
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    Ah okay i see.

Hmm but why keeping this only for some users and not share it with all?! I mean i would love to see my game packaged the best way generally.

Maybe i just lack this freaky exclusive/vip makes me high gen.

so preorder it? get the exclusive purcell artwork

it costs the same as if you bought it next month

i dont understand why this is an issue

nobody's DENYING you this artwork

just preorder it if you want it. that's it. there's no conspiracy. you CAN have it if you want it! what's the problem?

why complain about an opportunity
  • edited June 2009
    I don't see the opportunity or maybe it's just the other way around. If i would be TTG i obviously would have asked Purcell doing the artwork due to the history and all the other great covers he did and i simply would offered this to all customers. As i said it doesn't make sense to me offering an uglier cover for those who might buy the game afterwards as it somehow seems silly to me lowering the value of your product in such a way but i'm also not from marketing nor do i drink Voodoo tea out of Melee Island mugs whilst sweating and typing this almost naked in Herman underpants or so. Actually i love codewheels or would love to see a Monkey Island newspaper/letter of marque instead, free for those who preordered but still available in the shop for those who might want to buy it afterwards, btw. same could be done with the Purcell cover if you want to milk the fans.
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    I don't see the opportunity
    I do see the opportunity... - for Telltale:
    • They get your money 5 weeks in advance. (That helps to pay the bills or build some capital.)
    • Even if you should dislike the demo and do not want the game any longer, they have you money already.
      (They have been quite generous in the past if you encountered technical difficulties with the game on your system though.)
    • They have no minimal costs resulting from this offer.
    • If you use the coupon to buy one episode of another game, you will probably upgrade to the full series later (and spend additional money).
    Consider to postpone the pre-order to the 6th of July. You can keep your money for another 5 weeks then, possibly get the chance to play the demo before you order the game, and do not have any disadvantage except that you cannot access the mysterious website section with all the "secret stuff". ;)
  • edited June 2009
    I'm aware of the advantages on TTG's side, it's just that i don't see it on the customers side. I even would have prefered a $1-5 of your order will be donated to Ron Gilbert advantage.
  • edited June 2009
    I love the internet.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.