Pre-order "bonuses"

13»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Another preorderer who can't see why there's so much fuss.

I don't have any of the other telltale games, so the voucher will be put to good use. For those of you that already have all the games, I'm sure that there'll be something along soon that you can use it on.

As someone who has played all of the MI games, the secret forum/access to developers etc is awesome. Even if you aren't one of the uber-fans, there's some interesting reading there.

And to those who keep going on about the 'ugly' case for non-preorderers, it won't be ugly, it'll be some standard TMI DVD case, which our slip will go over.

Quit whining!
  • edited June 2009
    is all of the episodes going to be in sale at the store. at the realese date..?
  • edited June 2009
    wu-style wrote: »
    is all of the episodes going to be in sale at the store. at the realese date..?
    Each episode of Tales of Monkey Island for the PC releases online on Telltatle's store on a monthly basis as a download. Sometime after the series' season is complete, you'll be able to order all of the episodes on DVD. If you've bought all the episodes of the season, you only pay the shipping cost for the DVD.

If you want to play the Wii version, you'll have to buy it on WiiWare through the Wii's own Wii Shop channel.
  • edited June 2009
    Hakobus wrote: »
    Soo... how about offering something of value to the loyal customers who've already bought pretty much every single episode of pretty much all of your games?

"Free Telltale Games episode of your choice!" Wow, thanks, but I've already got two extra episodes of Sam & Max. Don't really need any more.

I appreciate this a lot. I have missed revival of the adventure games, because I have spent last decade just playing hardcore strategy games, which probably would scare away most people who are used to RTS. I liked the original Sam & Max and I'm happy to see that there are two new Sam & Max games which I have missed. Now I have if I use my coupon first episode of Season 1 or Season 2. If I like the episode, I will probably buy both seasons. So for Telltales it's good business and I like idea of playing entire episode more than idea of trying some demo.
    "Collector's DVD slipcase" Yeeeeah, doesn't really do it for me either.

For me this was the reason why I pre-ordered. I'm old fashioned and without this offer I would have waited till the DVD version is available. I like Steve Purcell's art and I like to buy limited collector's editions of the games which have some special art work etc. Poster would have been even better, but even this was good enough offer to get my attention.
    "Access to exclusive Monkey Island section of TT site" Really doesn't do it for me.

Some people love these exclusive forums. I admit that I also like to read developer's comments and ask questions, but for me private forums don't mean much. But since it's free extra, I'm not complaining.
    I mean, a lot of people have been loyal customers for quite a while now. How about giving like, a discount or dropping the postage on the DVD or something? I do understand you have a business to run, but still, offering free episodes of games I already own doesn't really entice me into pre-ordering anything.

Getting limited edition version if you pre-order actually a good deal and was enough to make me buy, even when I had never heard about Telltale Games before. Usually you have to pay 10-20€ extra for limited editions.
  • edited June 2009
    ^ Agreed with everything you said. I think it's a great deal. I've just discovered this place through a friend who posted about the new Monkey Island game on another forum and I was absolutely pumped to see the Sam and Max series going on strong as well! I've already pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island and have bought the Sam & Max seasons bundle. I'm getting ready for some awesome nostalgic adventuring soon!
  • edited June 2009
    I appreciate this a lot. I have missed revival of the adventure games, because I have spent last decade just playing hardcore strategy games, which probably would scare away most people who are used to RTS. I liked the original Sam & Max and I'm happy to see that there are two new Sam & Max games which I have missed. Now I have if I use my coupon first episode of Season 1 or Season 2. If I like the episode, I will probably buy both seasons. So for Telltales it's good business and I like idea of playing entire episode more than idea of trying some demo.

For me this was the reason why I pre-ordered. I'm old fashioned and without this offer I would have waited till the DVD version is available. I like Steve Purcell's art and I like to buy limited collector's editions of the games which have some special art work etc. Poster would have been even better, but even this was good enough offer to get my attention.

Some people love these exclusive forums. I admit that I also like to read developer's comments and ask questions, but for me private forums don't mean much. But since it's free extra, I'm not complaining.

Getting limited edition version if you pre-order actually a good deal and was enough to make me buy, even when I had never heard about Telltale Games before. Usually you have to pay 10-20€ extra for limited editions.
    i like your attitude
  • edited June 2009
    I appreciate this a lot. I have missed revival of the adventure games
    Not to mention missing the point of the topic, which was asking for something for the fans who already have all of Telltale's previous releases.

But I do agree that since the free episode coupon can be used sometime in the future, it is a good deal even for those of us who own the previous episodic releases.
    Yes, since usually limited/collector's edition releases have something special in them. I paid 10 euros extra for the collector's edition of Fallout 3, which scored me a metal lunchbox, an art book, a making of dvd and a Vault Boy bobblehead. Had Telltale asked for 10€ extra for a dvd slipcase, I would have told them to go fuck themselves ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Not to mention missing the point of the topic, which was asking for something for the fans who already have all of Telltale's previous releases.

But I do agree that since the free episode coupon can be used sometime in the future, it is a good deal even for those of us who own the previous episodic releases.

For most of the people it's a good deal, but what can you do? I have got games which I already own as free gifts when I have ordered latest titles from companies whose games I regularly buy. I usually give those extra copies to someone else.

But what should the gaming company give instead, someone else's games? There's limited amount of stuff what gaming companies can give away for free.
    Yes, since usually limited/collector's edition releases have something special in them. I paid 10 euros extra for the collector's edition of Fallout 3, which scored me a metal lunchbox, an art book, a making of dvd and a Vault Boy bobblehead. Had Telltale asked for 10€ extra for a dvd slipcase, I would have told them to go fuck themselves ;)

Some collector's editions have all kinds of fancy stuff, others might just have strategy guide or a poster. Limited DVD slipcase without extra cost is all right at least in my eyes. If you don't like the idea you can always order the regular version (with same price) after pre-ordering ends.

They wouldn't need to give anything extra and it would be still a fair deal.
  • edited June 2009
    On the other hand site, a $8.95 pre-order discount (as it was offered for W&G) should be attractive for everybody (except for Telltale), since you can use the money you have saved for whatever you like. - That's all I wanted to state.
    If they would have put on the website: Tales of Monkey Island, now not for $43.90 but $34.95. Would that have made you happier?
  • edited June 2009
    If they would have put on the website: Tales of Monkey Island, now not for $43.90 but $34.95. Would that have made you happier?
    If everybody who does not pre-order really had to pay $43.90 later? - Yes, that might have convinced me to pre-order. (But games usually get cheaper over time, not more expensive.)

The general question is: Why should I pay for something right now that I have not evaluated by a demo yet, and that I will not get before 7/7 anyway?

Making a (subjective) list of pros and cons, my decision is not to spend the money right now, as I am not sure that I will like the control scheme, if the game will still work on my somewhat outdated PC, etc. - If the demo is released in advance, I might reconsider, but the only disadvantage I get from not paying now compared to paying on 6th of July is that I do not get access to that hidden forum; which is nothing I really need.
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder - do we get the collector's and original slipcase? What if we decide we prefer the original one? :)

from an Interview at the E3:

Emily: People who buy the game before the July 7th launch will get the limited edition Steve Purcell cover for the collector's DVD. Anyone's eligible for the DVD, but this cover, it's gonna be like a flipcase that goes over the DVD case that only preorder people can get.

I really love the preorder deal.
    I preordered for the Artwork and the private forum alone. The free game was also very neat. I have all games from Telltale on steam but with the free episode I bought the whole Strong Bad Season here too (including usage of my 5$ coupon fopr the other episodes). Now my friends can play strong Bad with my Telltale Account if they want to. Maybe they will also buy some of the games if they like the Strong Bad Episodes. I will definitely order the Strong Bad DVD with my Monkey Island DVD when it comes out.
  • edited June 2009
    I was a long time PC gamer until a few years ago when I got sick of having to upgrade hardware and drivers, etc..... so I turned to PS2/PS3 and Wii consoles.
    I love how the Wii is bringing back the point'n'click adventure game!

So why no pre-order/bonuses for the Wii version???
    I'll be going for the Wii over the PC version because I'd much rather prefer to kick back with a Wiimote to play rather than at a desk with a mouse.
  • edited June 2009
    For most of the people it's a good deal, but what can you do? I have got games which I already own as free gifts when I have ordered latest titles from companies whose games I regularly buy. I usually give those extra copies to someone else.

But what should the gaming company give instead, someone else's games? There's limited amount of stuff what gaming companies can give away for free.

Some collector's editions have all kinds of fancy stuff, others might just have strategy guide or a poster. Limited DVD slipcase without extra cost is all right at least in my eyes. If you don't like the idea you can always order the regular version (with same price) after pre-ordering ends.

They wouldn't need to give anything extra and it would be still a fair deal.
    except telltale isn't charging 10 bucks extra for the bonus stuff. if they were, THEN you might have a case.

this isn't that difficult of a concept

they're giving this extra stuff away at no extra cost to us, and you're bitching that the free stuff isn't good enough. you sound like a spoiled brat.
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    except telltale isn't charging 10 bucks extra for the bonus stuff. if they were, THEN you might have a case.

this isn't that difficult of a concept

they're giving this extra stuff away at no extra cost to us, and you're bitching that the free stuff isn't good enough. you sound like a spoiled brat.

I'm not complaining and I'm happy with the stuff I'm getting, but it's true that I'm a spoiled brat (at least compared to elder people who still remember rationing).
  • edited June 2009
    BrendanK wrote: »
    So why no pre-order/bonuses for the Wii version???
    I'll be going for the Wii over the PC version because I'd much rather prefer to kick back with a Wiimote to play rather than at a desk with a mouse.

The Wiiware versions are downloaded through Nintendo's own Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo's in complete control and it's out of Tell Tale's hands. The way Wiiware works you really can't do special preorders or special editions based on how many you buy etc for any games downloaded on Wiiware. With the PC releases Tell Tale is in complete control and you download the games through their own website store. Complete with user registrations to keep track of what people have what etc. You can't do that on Wiiware.
  • edited June 2009
    I think that people complain a lot because is actually free.
    Im not from the USA so here (in Argentina) we do not have the lucky to be able to buy thes kind of material. For a lot of reasons that are no important to mention.
    To have a Pre-Order of a MI Game is my "dream come true" oportunity. For me to expend those dollars to a company that is making games that they are actually worth buying is a good money expended (and let me tell you that here are not 1 to 1 when we convert to our money).
    TellTale Games are giving me the oportunity to experience a MI game after so many years and i think its going to be a serie in a good hand (or do you want to have another MI4?? - altough i enjoy it, it wasn´t the best of the saga).
    For those who are complaining on buying a pre-order because it doesn´t has a helmet that trhows lasers or a metal box that when you open it appears a reinbow and in the end a treasure, let me tell you that nobody is making you buying the pre-order. You can make a contructive opinion on wich things can be added to a future pre-order bonus, but always being thankfull for there is already in the actual pre-order.

From my side, i woild like to Thank TTGames, because they are bringing back the joy for many people. They answered all the question that i had in the past and i hope the keep doing MI Games!!
  • edited June 2009
    a three-headed monkey for all ;-)

dreikopfaffe.jpg
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The Wiiware versions are downloaded through Nintendo's own Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo's in complete control and it's out of Tell Tale's hands. The way Wiiware works you really can't do special preorders or special editions based on how many you buy etc for any games downloaded on Wiiware. With the PC releases Tell Tale is in complete control and you download the games through their own website store. Complete with user registrations to keep track of what people have what etc. You can't do that on Wiiware.

Both well accurate and well spoken. Right now consoles are really only set up to releasing single, non-serial games. I know with Homestar, Nintendo worked very closely with us to streamline the development and approval process to make a monthly schedule even remotely possible, but there is only so much they can do right now. The back-end infrastructure just isn't there.

Maybe if episodic gaming becomes more common, the various consoles will support more options for releasing and supporting episodic games. Honestly, I think everyone would benefit from it, not just the 1 or 2 episodic developers.
  • edited June 2009

dreikopfaffe.jpg

Cute :)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I mean, a lot of people have been loyal customers for quite a while now. How about giving like, a discount or dropping the postage on the DVD or something?

This is an excellent idea, I'll get right on it! All you have to do is
  • edited June 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Confusing post is confusing.
  • edited June 2009

...not buy it?

:D
  • edited June 2009

Ah c'mon! don't let us wait any longer for the anticipated answer! :D
  • edited June 2009

dreikopfaffe.jpg

Where.

Did.

You.

Get.

That?

I want one.
  • edited June 2009
    Where.

Did.

You.

Get.

That?

I want one.

It`s self made... ;-)

Three little Monkey`s from eBay,
    but two one have lost their lives,
    or better, their bodies *ggg
  • edited June 2009
    If Telltale would offer that monkey as a pre-order bonus, I would order immediately! :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    If Telltale would offer that monkey as a pre-order bonus, I would order immediately! :cool:

They don`t ask me about Series-Production ;-)
  • edited June 2009

If they or LucasArts would sell something like that in their store, I'd buy one in an instant.

You should post that photo in the Fan Art thread.
  • edited June 2009
    Well I'll be keeping my free code for the first episode of whatever series comes after Tales of Monkey Island. Unless a friend is nice enough to me to earn said code :)
    It`s self made... ;-)

Do you have a picture of the two discarded monkey torsos?
  • edited June 2009
    Hi,

I didn't really care for the extra bonus as MI itself was the best bonus for me anyway.

What left me a bit wondering in terms of special humor is that there was no bonus in form of a T-Shirt saying "I took the special pre-order deal for <original artwork>Tales of Monkey Island</original artwork> and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" (alternatively put in the sentence from MI1 when Threepguy Woodbrush[1] finds the treasure [or was that when finding Big Whoop?{I will replay 1+2 in the next couple day but my language of choice is German. But maybe I should try it in English for the full expierince on second run?}])(hope all brackets are closed now).

Anyway, bringing out the game is fairly enough in my point of view costing same price with or without the bonus. Just think about what you normally get for pre-ordering... solely the game and most often not even sooner than when buying at stores.

Last thought:
    Hoping for some original TTG MI hatwear so I can sit them anywhere near the S&M ware to lighten up my heartware because they are a soft wear.

He who loves Telltale for S&M, MI and soon for W&G and SBCGFAP:
    Michael

[1] spelling is intentionally, maybe check your humor-accelerator; or maybe it wasn't funny at all ;-)
  • edited June 2009
    It`s self made... ;-)

So basically like in MI1 with the navigtor head where they took the head and got rid of the navigator[1].

Amazing what an 19 year old game can teach you for live.

[1] I just hope I got it right...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.