What did you do to the thief?

A man tried to steal some weapons and desert the Forresters. What did you do to him?

Maybe I should have send him to the Wall, but I cut his fingers off because I want to send a message to the other men that they shouldn't steal from the Forresters.

Comments

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I sent him to the wall.

Even before i got the choice i was hoping to be able to punish him with labor but the wall was the next best thing.

• I chopped off 3 fingers and sent him to the wall.

• you can do both?

I chopped off 3 fingers and sent him to the wall.

• I chopped his fingers and carried out the sentence myself. Just like Ned would have :P.

• No, he will be automatically sent to the Wall, if you chopped off his fingers.

kgoodies posted: »

you can do both?

• "The man who passes the sentences must swing the sword." :)

I chopped his fingers and carried out the sentence myself. Just like Ned would have :P.

• sent him to the wall. my only regret that i couldnt behead filthy dumb bell.

• i released him, frankly it was mostly in spite of Ser Royland for kicking the poor man for absolutely no good reason

• I showed the man mercy. He was doing what he did out of fear and desperation for himself and his family. Mercy can sometimes be the best weapon .... probably not in westreos, but if that's not the case, I'll learn so the hard way.

• I was like, "Well, Stannis cut Davos's fingers and Davos loved him." Not until after I made the choice did I remember nobody else liked Stannis...

• I agree with the kicking, but when the man starts shouting that House Forrester is doomed, I think that Royland has some right to smack him in the head.

Choombi posted: »

i released him, frankly it was mostly in spite of Ser Royland for kicking the poor man for absolutely no good reason

• true enough, but he hit him after every single thing a said, to that he had no right.

I agree with the kicking, but when the man starts shouting that House Forrester is doomed, I think that Royland has some right to smack him in the head.

• I just sent him to the wall which is what I wanted to do anyway

• Chop chop chop.

• I showed mercy. I think I did right with that, Duncan stated there were no more things missing, so Eric was probably the only one.
    Also, he stated he would never forget it, I was hoping to get him to work for me in some way, but that will not work out.. seeing the unevitable ending and such.

• Cut off 3 Fingers. Wanted to give him a light punishment and that was the lightest option to choose. Letting him off with no punishment? Means no one will respect my Lordship or our rules. The Thief stated his family would die without him so I didn't send him to the wall for that reason. So there was really only 1 choice.

• I did the Davos on him, but will probably change it when i play again, because i really wanna meet him again on the wall with Gared.

• Sent him to the wall.
    I don't know why, but from reading the books I've learnt that Jon Snow might always use extra swords, so I thought that would be benefit for everyone. Didn't cut his fingers just because I knew he might need them to fight on the wall.

This is how you plan things, kids!

• I freed him. I felt sorry for him.

• I let him go, had him paid and his family fed.

• Sent him to the wall, he'll probably bitch and whine to Gared when they meet up

• I sent him to the Wall, but in retrospect I think I should have gone with the traditional punishment.

• My decision:

• Set him free? To show mercy shows greatness, but it also makes you look weak, if you just became a lord and you're still just a child. And since you don't want this to happen again, you have to punish the guy somehow.
    • Sending the man to the wall? He has apparently 6 children so taking away their father might not be a very good punishment.
    • Cutting off 3 fingers is the normal punishment and I choose to go with that one. Theft can't be repeated and I needed to strengthen my new position as kid lord. So I cut off the fingers myself. This might have looked horrible to some, but it was certainly the best solution.

I just hope that the man can still take care of his children with 3 missing fingers. Davos seemed to deal with it so I think that guy can as well.

• I set him free. He kept saying family so I didn't want to be mean xD.

• I wanted to chop his fingers off but I felt sending him to the Wall he's going to need as many fingers as he can get.

• I showed him mercy. Stealing two wooden spears and a shield because he panicked over the safety of his family didn't really seem like much of a heinous crime to me. I understand that order needs to be kept and all that... but it just didn't seem right to punish him under the circumstances.

• I find it kind of surprising most people seemed to go "Huh stealing things, thats cool bro run along" I mean I know people liked to be good but your letting criminals get off scot free?

He wasnt even stealing food etc. He just deserted and took weapons.

• I did the same for the same reasons.

Isterio posted: »

My decision: * Set him free? To show mercy shows greatness, but it also makes you look weak, if you just became a lord and you're still

• edited December 2014

I showed him mercy but, honestly, that would be a bad idea in real life.

However, I didn't want to start my reign off with finger chopping.

The PR was good but deserters are going to be a serious issue soon.

• I also want to show him mercy. But at the time, I have to remember that Ethan has just become lord and he has to assert his authority. The thief was shouting words of desertions and lowering the morale. If I let him go, others might want to desert or steal as well. Also, I was kinda thinking about Ethan's character development at the time. He has to stop being a kid and become a man in order to ensure the future of his house.

I showed him mercy but, honestly, that would be a bad idea in real life. However, I didn't want to start my reign off with finger chopping. The PR was good but deserters are going to be a serious issue soon.

• I sent hi to the wall. It's a cruel mercy, but kinder than permenant maiming.

He couldn't go free though, be use it makes the house look too weak. Desertion is an VERY serious crime, even in the modern world. Frankly, I'm surprised three fingers were at stake and not his head,

• That's why the wall was such an attractive option to me. It lets him keep making a living, but keeps him far enough away to prevent keep him from making trouble.

I showed him mercy but, honestly, that would be a bad idea in real life. However, I didn't want to start my reign off with finger chopping. The PR was good but deserters are going to be a serious issue soon.

• I sent him to the wall. I kinda got angry with him shouting "This house is falling!" I mean if he wants mercy that's probably not the wisest thing to say to the lord?? But I also thought Ethan is not someone who chops mans fingers off, he is still a child. Hope to see the man at the wall when Gared gets there.

• Sent him to the wall, though I didn't know the wall was so horrible.

• I think the wall is the cruelest thing you can do because that keeps him from ever seeing his family again.

• Chopped his fingers off. My assumption was that he could go back to his family after that, minus three fingers, so they wouldn't starve.

It remains to be seen how the writers are going to approach consequences for behavior in this series, but in the books I would expect a lord who lets a thief walk away without punishment to be portrayed as kind of an idiot. Pardon one offense and you encourage the commission of many. It didn't help that he started screaming about how our house was doomed right in the middle of everyone.

• His sceaming of doom didn't win a lot of points from me.

MrMiyagi posted: »

Chopped his fingers off. My assumption was that he could go back to his family after that, minus three fingers, so they wouldn't starve.

• I showed him mercy. I thought it wasn't time to kill, but to stay united, also to avoid traitors from within.

It haven't worked, I'm afraid :V

Sign in to comment in this discussion.