Telltale and Mojang Developing 'Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series' for 2015

Minecraft: Story Mode logo

As 2014 comes to a close, we are delighted to confirm our partnership with Mojang to create a new episodic game series based on one of the most popular video games in history - Minecraft.

Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product that will premiere in 2015 on consoles, computers and mobile devices.

Telltale's game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation.

For more information on why Telltale and Mojang chose to work together, visit Mojang's blog.

2014 is Telltale's tenth anniversary year; seeing in the climactic finales of the critically acclaimed and best-selling The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two. With the recent premieres of both Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands, our 2015 lineup will include the remainder of both of those new series, and now it will also include the premiere of Minecraft: Story Mode.

After ten years of making games, Telltale is JUST getting started! We would like to thank all of our incredible fans across the world, as we continue to forge ahead in creating adventures where the most important author of each story is YOU. We'll have more in the months ahead, but for now, we thank you again, and wish you a safe and happy holiday and a prosperous New Year!

Comments

• C'est complètement fou.

• Thank YOU ^^

You're - THE BEST! :)

• edited December 2014

I don't know how to take this news...

My mind...I.

Ok. Let's see where this takes us :)

• Shut up and take my money!!! (as usual)

Oh, please make this one a family game, I'd love to play it with my Minecraft-obsessed 9 year old daughter.

• Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming.

• Looks like I found the first Telltale game I won't be buying. Why waste your time on this when you have so many good IPs?

• Alt text

Well that was unexpected...

But I guess it's kinda cool.

• Good bye sam, good bye max. Say hello to steve and mr creper man :(

• I know, I know, don't judge before playing. But this idea sounds genuinley dumb tbh

If we're honest here, it's just to also lure 10 year old kiddies to Telltale Games...catching!

We'll see. For now, I'm definitley against this.

• People doesnt likes this idea :/ however im sure you'll manage to surprise us all!

• 10 years kids will think it's boring, I guess :P

But I really hope the graphics won't be too squarish. It wouldn't just be comfortable for the eye.

I know, I know, don't judge before playing. But this idea sounds genuinley dumb tbh If we're honest here, it's just to also lure 10 year old kiddies to Telltale Games...catching! We'll see. For now, I'm definitley against this.

• Big Meh for me

• People don't tend to like anything, if you were to go off the internet.

People really should just wait and see.

Anyhow, same. Hope they manage to pull it off and I think there's a good chance they will given their writer's versatility.

L4Vo5 posted: »

People doesnt likes this idea however im sure you'll manage to surprise us all!

• À qui le dites-vous !

Hirototo posted: »

C'est complètement fou.

• That's funny, because that's almost the opposite for me. I only bought The Walking Dead games from Telltale and I'll very probably buy the Minecraft one. I'm not really into Borderland and even less into Game of Thrones... I might try A Wolf Amongst Us, but I not sure the game will runs well enough with my Intel's HD Graphics 4000... :(

stanng243 posted: »

Looks like I found the first Telltale game I won't be buying. Why waste your time on this when you have so many good IPs?

• I'd much rather have another Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island. And If you've never played those, you're doing something wrong.

BOWi123 posted: »

That's funny, because that's almost the opposite for me. I only bought The Walking Dead games from Telltale and I'll very probably buy the M

• I played Sam and Max. Great game!

But maybe this Minecraft won't suck that much, since Mojang is only cooperating, and the leader will be our beloved Telltale.

I'd much rather have another Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island. And If you've never played those, you're doing something wrong.

• I AM SO EXCITED! I WILL DEFINITELY GET THIS DAY 1!!!

• Looks like this is the first episode game I won´t buy from telltale...

• I hope we wont play the boring default character.

• Or another Strong Bad... pouts

I'd much rather have another Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island. And If you've never played those, you're doing something wrong.

• In this case they don't like it because it's actually a stupid idea.
    If Telltale were making a Star Wars or a Hobbit game (for example) people would be pretty fine with it.
    But Minecraft is a game with no story and some ugly, ugly graphics. It's main plus is the sandbox nature of the game. And telltale games are linear and non-sandbox at all.

Rob_K posted: »

People don't tend to like anything, if you were to go off the internet. People really should just wait and see. Anyhow, same. Hope they manage to pull it off and I think there's a good chance they will given their writer's versatility.

• Well, Mojang said Telltale won't reveal the full story of Steve, the default char

WalkerHH93 posted: »

I hope we wont play the boring default character.

• Please God do Firefly! Or perhaps consider Star Wars, Dr Who or even Harry Potter.

But Minecraft!? OK i'll probably give it a try, but since i hate Minecraft i will probably not enjoy this. Hope you surprise me! :D

• Well, colour me curious. Any plan for a Linux version? Minecraft itself is available on Linux, so it wouldn't make much sense if Story Mode wasn't available on Linux as well.

• Why in god's name are you people doing this? You don't even have the staff to update the 5 series you currently have at reasonable intervals, why are you starting another one?
    I keep checking this blog hoping to see some shred of information about The Wolf Among Us, Tales From The Borderlands, or The Walking Dead, and this is what I get instead?
    Wth.

• Because you and others say so?

Forgive me if I don't reply further, other than to say we know nothing about it and I think, based on their past history, we should at least trust them a little when it comes to narrative.

Spadge posted: »

In this case they don't like it because it's actually a stupid idea. If Telltale were making a Star Wars or a Hobbit game (for example) pe

• I definitely won't be buying this one. I'm a little disappointed actually. I'd much rather have a Star Wars game or a new Monkey Island.

• edited December 2014

They have 3 series . . . Walking Dead, GoT and Borderlands. Borderlands may not get a second season either.

Sure, they might make a second season for Wolf, but there's no official announcement. And yes, I would like a 2nd Wolf season too, but it's up to telltale what they do and this might work out. We know next to nothing about it, plus I think they've earned a bit of faith when it comes to narrative despite the IP having a non-existent story. (And I know what's coming . . . 'they're making this instead of Wolf'. I already covered that. they can make what they want, though they should be prepared for a possible loss of sales.)

Why in god's name are you people doing this? You don't even have the staff to update the 5 series you currently have at reasonable intervals

• edited December 2014

I should probably try both series someday... :P Are they really good? :P

• Yesyesyesyesyes

• @Churned well, at least it's not Star Wars

Alt text

• im in the middle, i mean minecrafts fun and all but telltale seem to pick something up and build onto the story the creator has made ,but with minecraft i dont see that happening anyway becuase minecraft doesnt have a story and generally it will bring young kids to telltale games which i think is a bad idea see what happened to CoD (just a example) it was a great game good story, good multiplayer and then kids got there hands on it and ruined it for all of us. personally telltale i will buy it and see what its like but i think this is a bad idea.

• Alt text
    NOOOOOOOOO!

Just JOKING I'm oke with it

• I am currently feeling exactly how I felt when I saw the Tales from the Borderlands announcement or maybe much more unsure than I did with Tales. But considering how awesome Tales is, I am going to give Minecraft: Story Mode, the benefit of the doubt. :)

Can't wait to see how Telltale manage this one.

But jesus, that was one hell of an unexpected news...

• I'm.... oddly looking forward to this.

• after the minecraft game make a breaking bad game

• When in 2015?

Wow, I can't believe I'm looking forward to Minecraft.

• I am too, I am really interested to see how this goes.

Its safe to say it will probably be released alongside Walking Dead S3.

Crips posted: »

When in 2015? Wow, I can't believe I'm looking forward to Minecraft.

This discussion has been closed.