Telltale and Mojang Developing 'Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series' for 2015

Comments

• So No TWD or TWAU? No Mentions

• I highly recommend The Wolf Among Us, and I played it on my laptop's HD 4000 quite smoothly.

BOWi123 posted: »

That's funny, because that's almost the opposite for me. I only bought The Walking Dead games from Telltale and I'll very probably buy the M

• No, just no. First of all, Minecraft has no story at all! It'll be really hard to come up with a decent plotline, with actual choices to be made. And they're already doing a Minecraft movie! Minecraft is becoming the most milked franchise ever and it does not need half the merchandise and add-ons that it does.

I want Telltale to do more violent, mature seasons like they have previously done, like us people holding out for TWAU and TWD. I feel very strongly that this game will not sell well.

• Hell yes Firefly would be the best one yet, although Borderlands might be too similar.

Ddddd123 posted: »

Please God do Firefly! Or perhaps consider Star Wars, Dr Who or even Harry Potter. But Minecraft!? OK i'll probably give it a try, but since i hate Minecraft i will probably not enjoy this. Hope you surprise me!

• Whats this?
    Telltale is making a game that sounds interesting...
    I'd already given up on them, but maybe they'll still be able to make something good.

• edited December 2014

Some obvious concerns:
    1) Minecraft has no story, so really this game can be about anything and anyone and will in no way be tied to any Minecraft lore, because there is none.
    2) What makes Minecraft fun is the sandbox ability to go anywhere, and build anything. Telltale Games are overtly linear, with little to no environmental interaction (except for the specific items we are allowed to click on) and with only one or two paths to take.
    3) What are we going to do in the game? Talk about building stuff, and then NOT build it? Talk about how nice it would be to go explore that cave over there, and then NOT?
    4) I'm concerned they are just appealing to the masses of people who love Minecraft, but are not going to be able to deliver on what it is that is special about that game.

• I think you're wrong on 1 front. It probably WILL sell well, because people love Minecraft, and will buy anything related to it. So money-wise, this is probably a good idea for Telltale. For their long-term reputation, maybe not.

Mooreo posted: »

No, just no. First of all, Minecraft has no story at all! It'll be really hard to come up with a decent plotline, with actual choices to be

• I see what you're saying.

Dun dun dun

But I think it'll have a chance because Minecraft has no story, they can build there own lore.
    They do have a big task trying to get the feel right.

Also they're probably making it for their (Telltale's) own audience.

P.S. the game will end with you fighting a dragon.

MrMcDillard posted: »

Some obvious concerns: 1) Minecraft has no story, so really this game can be about anything and anyone and will in no way be tied to any Mi

• Why? Minecraft is a game which needs no story for it to work. No offense telltale but this is the worst possible idea for a story driven game about choice.

• edited December 2014

1) Minecraft has no story, so really this game can be about anything and anyone and will in no way be tied to any Minecraft lore, because there is none.

Surely that's a good thing?

2) What makes Minecraft fun is the sandbox ability to go anywhere, and build anything. Telltale Games are overtly linear, with little to no environmental interaction (except for the specific items we are allowed to click on) and with only one or two paths to take.

What makes Borderlands fun is shooting things.

3) What are we going to do in the game? Talk about building stuff, and then NOT build it? Talk about how nice it would be to go explore that cave over there, and then NOT?

What are we going to do in Tales in the Borderlands? TALK about shooting things?

4) I'm concerned they are just appealing to the masses of people who love Minecraft, but are not going to be able to deliver on what it is that is special about that game.

I'm concerned they are just appealing to the masses of people who love Borderlands, ...

I don't need another Minecraft game that plays like Minecraft. I can already play Minecraft. An interactive story set in that world? Sign me up.

Much like their other games, I think Telltale are just fans of the IP and want to set a story in that specific IP's world. YouTube is filled with people making stories with Minecraft, I don't see why Telltale shouldn't be allowed to do something similar.

Some obvious concerns: 1) Minecraft has no story, so really this game can be about anything and anyone and will in no way be tied to any Mi

• Two ways of looking at it: Minecraft will quickly die out from over-exposure and going overboard with expanding. Or, it just gets even more overhyped and Telltale sells their soul and reputation for money.

I think you're wrong on 1 front. It probably WILL sell well, because people love Minecraft, and will buy anything related to it. So money-wise, this is probably a good idea for Telltale. For their long-term reputation, maybe not.

• Thank you for your thoughtful rebuttal! Allow me to re-rebuttal :-)

• Surely that's a good thing?
      I don't think it is a good thing to have a story-based game that is based on a world with no story. The reason people liked Borderlands was because they knew the characters and the general theme of the world (back water planet treasure hunting etc.).

• What makes Borderlands fun is shooting things.
      True, but there was still some shooting in the Tales version, right?

-What are we going to do in Tales in the Borderlands? TALK about shooting things?
    See above, plus talking about shooting things is fun when it has CONTEXT. There is already a rich world that your story is taking place in. Characters you know, situations you've heard of, places you've been. Minecraft has pretty much NO context, because there is no prior lore about the world. No story. And the closest thing to a character is Mr. Creeper, who has an explosive personality. There isn't a lot of deep character development to be had there.

• I'm concerned they are just appealing to the masses of people who love Borderlands
      They did appeal to those masses, which is why a lot of those people were disappointed with the game, which is my point.

But to your last point, it is a point well-taken. I don't mean to be a nay-sayer. It is very possible that Telltale can create a brand new set of characters, and add a whole new plot line and motivation to the World of Minecraft that has never existed before. That could be fun and exciting, to be inside the world but this time actually be given some context for what it is we are all doing there. So to that end, I say good luck to Telltale, and I hope that they can pull it off. It WOULD be fun to experience a new side of Minecraft, as long as there is no expectation for it to actually be anything like Minecraft.

DarthBo posted: »

1) Minecraft has no story, so really this game can be about anything and anyone and will in no way be tied to any Minecraft lore, because th

• If you can run The Walking Dead, you can run The Wolf Among Us.
    Intel HD 4000 is more than enough for Telltale games. Buy it!

BOWi123 posted: »

That's funny, because that's almost the opposite for me. I only bought The Walking Dead games from Telltale and I'll very probably buy the M

• I honestly don't understand why people are freaking out about this. Especially if they have played this thing about the game by Mojang. https://mojang.com/2014/12/play-info-quest-ii-you-might-learn-something/ Honestly, that really just got rid of all of my fears. And to be honest, the end credits of Minecraft felt like it could be in some sort of mysterious story of some sort. That and the music disks 11 and 13. In fact... why not use those as story elements? Yeah! Yeah! That sounds like a great idea!

• You have surprised us in the past TT, let's hope you do it this time too

• Are you serious.

• To be honest im gonna really enjoy this never asked for it or expected it but man im excited for this im a real big geek for walking dead and minecraft too so ill be for sure getting this

• Im thinking this game has some promising things for it who knows this could be a pretty good game im not joking

Mooreo posted: »

Two ways of looking at it: Minecraft will quickly die out from over-exposure and going overboard with expanding. Or, it just gets even more overhyped and Telltale sells their soul and reputation for money.

• Alt text

@Churned well, at least it's not Star Wars

• I'll play it bc it's Telltale and I like minecraft but this is probably the weirdest Telltale/known game mix I've ever seen. 0-0

• WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think I speak for everyone when I say, Do we have to pay for this? I mean, We bought minecraft, and since apparently its not an add-on, is it a separate game? Not to mention Minecraft 2 (On Mojang.com's post on their site), will I have to pay for that too? What do you guys think? Is it a new game mode for Minecraft or will we have to pay for it, along with Minecraft 2?

• I really hope Minecraft: Story Mode is still multiplayer and sandbox and that the world will persist between episodes so I can play it with all my Minecraft buddies and we can build a cool world while following a cool story. I hope that's not too much to hope for. You can do it, Telltale.

• edited December 2014

The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.

source: mojang.com

Stormer127a posted: »

WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think I speak for everyone when I say, Do we have to pay for this? I mean, We bought minecraft, and since apparently its n

• "The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices."
    And thanks to the telltalegames lack of skill, RIP Linux support.

TyWMick posted: »

The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke. source: mojang.com

• .hack//Minecraft?
    Neverending (Story) Minecraft?
    Every Robbinson Cruso ripoff ever written, now as a game!?

Random charcater spawns in the middle of nowere and has to survive, build the world/rebuild the world, is atacked by griefers, builds a farm but in the end needs to travel to the nether and beat the dragon after colecting enough stuff?

I am interested in how you direct this telltale! Feels like a nice first step towards a first original IP someday!

Also please refere to other fiction based on games with little lore, i want minecrafts version of "Mario Mario". Creeper Creeper?

• Does it crashes? The Walking Dead crashes very often on my laptop.

I highly recommend The Wolf Among Us, and I played it on my laptop's HD 4000 quite smoothly.

• Isso ae , só q tem ter jeito de construir q nem no mine

• I don't know exactly what you mean by "PC" (even a Mac is technically a Personal Computer, aka PC). I'll assume Windows? Well, I'm interested, but it'll have to run on Linux in order to have my business. I don't run Windows on my "PC".

• It's a separate game. Despite the name of the game being "Story Mode," it's actually going to be an entirely new game. It's going to be a game sold in different episodes that tell a story like a TV show does.

Stormer127a posted: »

WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think I speak for everyone when I say, Do we have to pay for this? I mean, We bought minecraft, and since apparently its n

• edited December 2014

It probably won't be based on the hilarious "Minecraft N00b Adventures" Machinima series, but I'd love a villain similar to Gaylord Steambath.

• TWAU and TWD S2 disappointed me. I have doubts on telltale's abilities to craft a story out minecraft/

• They'll be taking it into more of a family friendly way. Pretty excited to play this with my family. :)

Korpil posted: »

Shut up and take my money!!! (as usual) Oh, please make this one a family game, I'd love to play it with my Minecraft-obsessed 9 year old daughter.

• that will be great i guess...

• Just make it awesome and you can take my money if not gooooood byeeeeeeeeee

• Well it wouldn't be their first original IP. Puzzle Agent and Hector were original.

DrRadon posted: »

.hack//Minecraft? Neverending (Story) Minecraft? Every Robbinson Cruso ripoff ever written, now as a game!? Random charcater spawns in

• How can u ppl support these stupid games... breaking a game into episodes just to get more money... taking the adventure out of games making ppl do it ur way... making them think they have a choice in the matter... U ppl will be the death of real games... minecraft is an open world build it ur way do it ur way game... and the ppl making it give u rights to make number 2 just cuz they want more money... if they made minecraft to like they did the first millions of ppl would buy just cuz the brand of play style that it has... and u ppl that support this tell tail minecraft crap need ur heads looked at...

• Don't get me wrong, I love telltale and the great games they've developed. Heck, I'm sure that this Minecraft game will have legs to stand on but I can't help but feel disappointed... I'm probably in the minority that doesn't really like Minecraft. I can see its appeal but it just never got to me. Now, for a studio that deeply invests its players' time and hearts into great, narrative, story-driven experiences, Minecraft just seems like an effort from Microsoft to expand the franchise. I'm not saying it's a 'cash grab' and I'm sure that loads of players are excited, but I just can't see myself emotionally investing myself to a game that revolves around building blocks and incomprehensible facial expressions.

Those are a few of my thoughts anyway. For a studio that's associated itself with such epic titles, Minecraft just seems like they're moving down a 'Notch' (get it?)

Anyway, I do hope the game does well but I'll be holding off until their next adaptation.

• edited December 2014

Are you f'ing kidding me? Minecraft? Out of all of the amazing possible IP's that exist out there that Telltale could take advantage of with their style of games and they pick Minecraft as their next project. Wow, just wow. Personally, I would have KILLED for them to have jumped into series like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Now those are IP's that literally have endless possibilities for a Telltale games series, but I have absolutely ZERO interest in Minecraft or a Minecraft story.

Looks like that will be the first Telltale Games release that I don't buy. What a waste!

• edited December 2014

Woah dude we gotta give this game a chance theres no sneakpeeks or screenshots of it yet it could be good u dont judge something there is no actual pictures of ingame gameplay minecraft has no real story so i would love to see a full from scratch telltale story that would be intresting but im sure ur choices would be good too but im not gonna judge this game just yet minecraft is a fun game and telltale has not failed us yet

OrangeCrush posted: »

Are you f'ing kidding me? Minecraft? Out of all of the amazing possible IP's that exist out there that Telltale could take advantage of with

• I don't need screenshots or sneak peeks to know that I will have zero interest in this game. To each their own. If your excited for a Minecraft Adventure game then by all means, buy it and enjoy it. I have ZERO interest in minecraft, the visual style of Minecraft, and most of all a story based off of Minecraft. Just not my cup of tea at all. I can think of a hundred different games I would rather play than a Minecraft styled adventure game.

Again, this is a HUGE disappointment in my book as there are countless IP's out there that Telltale could have knocked out of the park. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this decision was based purely on money as I don't buy for a second that someone stood up at one of Telltale's creative meetings and said "Hey, lets do a series on Minecraft". No doubt this was all MS. Since aquiring the Minecraft IP, they have been looking to expand the franchise in every way possible. This clearly has Microsoft $$$ written all over it.

It is disappointing, but it is what it is. Its not like there won't be other games to play, or even other Telltale games to play. Not that big of a deal in the long run. Its just disappointing as again, there are so many other quality IP's that Telltale could have jumped into. Again, I would have killed for a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game series from Telltale. Now those are IP's that are perfectly suited to Telltale's style of game and i have no doubt the end result would have been a million times better than Minecraft.

Lehfeels posted: »

Woah dude we gotta give this game a chance theres no sneakpeeks or screenshots of it yet it could be good u dont judge something there is n

This discussion has been closed.