Tales of MI - graphic issues and some examples

Comments

• edited June 2009
    @RockNRoll

That kind of comment reminds me of something I saw in the Oblivion community from quite a few of the younger members when it came to mods.

They'd add in all kinds of mods until they thought the end result looked sweet, and then they shared the screenshots. Oh Gods, the screenshots. Some of what they added might've looked decent on its own, or standing by its own merits, some of it was awful, and they'd just mash it all together regardless. It was painful to see.

There were one or two good screenshots, but you see, these were screenshots from people who understood what worked and what didn't with the setting, they understood cohesion with an artistic representation, what fit the style and what just stuck out like a sore thumb, and they could tell a good idea from a bad one, so that was an improvement.

Now take the Monkey Island ideal as Oblivion, Telltale are the smart kids who understand sticking with the style, and giving things a cohesive, solid look, they don't add things which stick out or look out of place, everything in their screenshots looks like it was supposed to be there.

And then we have those who're doing representations of how the game could be made "better", and they remind me of those Oblivion kids who thought they'd made their game sweet, as opposed to a gut-wrenchingly horrible messy mesh of opposites, interspersed with things that were just plain bad.

Ex: The sand that looks "A LOT better"? To me, that looks totally out of place, it looks like someone dumped a bunch of gravel on a beach and then stuck a chest in the gravel. It looks like gravel in contrast with the other sand, which is yellow and vibrant. You can have one or the other, but the contrast between the two makes the new sand look like gravel. Why would there be gravel there? The end result is that it looks out of place and unprofessional, that's bad art direction.

So no, in my opinion, the edits aren't a lot better, they're much, much worse. But again, there's always going to be those who have absolutely no idea of how art works and they're going to toss any old junk together and think it looks great, just because they don't really know better.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't recall if you ever directly critiqued my changes? I'm just curious on your opinion of them.
  • edited June 2009
    I think its pretty unfair to say people "have absolutely no idea of how art works" Just because they disagree with the things you like.... Art is not so black and white... what one person thinks is garbage could be in an art gallery next week.
  • edited June 2009
    For the record, of all the suggestions on this thread, the only modification that I consider to enhance the visuals rather than ruin them is this one:

tomi.jpg

It's tasteful and subtle, yet it really enhances the "feel" of the environment. If the game looked like this, it might actually be my favourite game in the series in terms of aesthetics.

The others all suffer from the problems that VagrantWulf mentions.
  • edited June 2009
    I like the colorful look to be honest.
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    For the record, of all the suggestions on this thread, the only modification that I consider to enhance the visuals rather than ruin them is this one:

tomi.jpg

It's tasteful and subtle, yet it really enhances the "feel" of the environment. If the game looked like this, it might actually be my favourite game in the series in terms of aesthetics.

The others all suffer from the problems that VagrantWulf mentions.

Honestly though, this is by far the best looking screenie of the bunch anyway. The trick is to add a bit more depth to the ones where the edges and simplicity of the models are more apparent. Say, this one:

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail_original.cfm?original=/imgserver/bdb/117400/117417/original.jpg

I noticed that there is a brief moment in the W&G demo where Telltale used some depth of field effects, which looked real great. Anyway, I agree that by just adding some filters, adjusting the colors and lighting this could look way less "flat". The ship in the background in particular... there's a lot of visual trickery that could hide the geometrical simplicity.

However, I'm not really the one to bitch about this. Except for Wallace and Gromit for whom a low polygon count didn't matter much, Telltale characters have always been rather edgy, but they made up for that with cool animations. However, particular in screens where the lighting is more colourful and vibrant (like the lighting that eluminates Guybrush and Elaine on the front page), things look a lot more interesting than in the shot above.

edit: Some examples from the game Jack Keane.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/JackKeane/JackKeane3.jpg
    http://www.adventurespiele.net/Bilder/JackKeane_Capetown5.jpg
    http://static1.filefront.com/images/ruyplkhvkp.jpg

There's also one example that shows what the right lighting can do to scenes that don't look any more complex than those shots from Tales Of MI at all:

http://gameland.com.hr/wp-content/gallery/jack-keane/jack-keane_1.jpg

That there's pirates and ships involved too is, of course, coincidence. :D
  • edited June 2009
    @RockNRoll

That kind of comment reminds me of something I saw in the Oblivion community from quite a few of the younger members when it came to mods.

They'd add in all kinds of mods until they thought the end result looked sweet, and then they shared the screenshots. Oh Gods, the screenshots. Some of what they added might've looked decent on its own, or standing by its own merits, some of it was awful, and they'd just mash it all together regardless. It was painful to see.

There were one or two good screenshots, but you see, these were screenshots from people who understood what worked and what didn't with the setting, they understood cohesion with an artistic representation, what fit the style and what just stuck out like a sore thumb, and they could tell a good idea from a bad one, so that was an improvement.

Now take the Monkey Island ideal as Oblivion, Telltale are the smart kids who understand sticking with the style, and giving things a cohesive, solid look, they don't add things which stick out or look out of place, everything in their screenshots looks like it was supposed to be there.

And then we have those who're doing representations of how the game could be made "better", and they remind me of those Oblivion kids who thought they'd made their game sweet, as opposed to a gut-wrenchingly horrible messy mesh of opposites, interspersed with things that were just plain bad.

Ex: The sand that looks "A LOT better"? To me, that looks totally out of place, it looks like someone dumped a bunch of gravel on a beach and then stuck a chest in the gravel. It looks like gravel in contrast with the other sand, which is yellow and vibrant. You can have one or the other, but the contrast between the two makes the new sand look like gravel. Why would there be gravel there? The end result is that it looks out of place and unprofessional, that's bad art direction.

So no, in my opinion, the edits aren't a lot better, they're much, much worse. But again, there's always going to be those who have absolutely no idea of how art works and they're going to toss any old junk together and think it looks great, just because they don't really know better.
    The edits were obviously of just small, singled out elements of the picture (like just the sand, or just the water), like I said just samples of an idea, so criticizing the lack of cohesion is really missing the point. To me, I look at them and just see them as better ideas, as good fan art, not necessarily professionally completed.

And I'm NOT an Oblivion kid haha
  • edited June 2009
    Here's my attempt. I've implemented a bloom filter and a slight blue tint to the image. The top image is the original, the bottom one is modified.

bloomtint-1.jpg

I'm no expert, but I think that it subtly enhances the feel of the image. It's not a huge change, but something like this could easily be implemented by means of a full-screen filter in the game. Personally, I think that Telltale are on the right track, but improved lighting/filtering would take it to another level without requiring a significant amount of work.

They key, I think, is to not go overboard on the filters. They should enhance the visuals, providing a slight feeling of warmth and glow, without becoming a distraction.
  • edited June 2009
    Yup, particularly with supposedly photo-realistic art styles I saw this getting a bit overboard. So that all of a sudden what was meant to be a realistic historical war game appears to happen in a fairy land akin to Ridley Scott's Legend. :D Still, filters like Bloom effects can be taken advantage of, as they can cover lower detailed areas as well. I dunno why Telltale wouldn't do this given their simple geometrics in this case. I took a couple of screenies from Wallace&Gromit which make me quite confident that Telltale know a deal or two about making 3D graphics looking vibrant. But then they ARE professionals. :D

That's a great use of depth of field effects!
  • edited June 2009
    Ypu, Telltale have proven that they know how to make fantastic games - and how to make their games look fantastic. I'm sure that come the 7th of July, episode 1 will be pretty as a picture.
  • edited June 2009
    I trust Telltale more than I trust random guys on the internet when it comes to gamedesign and gameart.
  • edited June 2009
    Some of them are interesting but the intensitiy on some hurt my eyes
  • edited June 2009
    Jumping on the bandwagon!

picture.php?albumid=245&pictureid=1653

nice colore sheme, looks like MI2 too mi^^
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    For the sake of participation, though, here's the same screenshot with photoshop's "poster edges" filter applied to everything except the sky:

posteredges.jpg

wow that looks cool.....it looks like hand drawn.....but it wouldnt work ingame because we dont have static Backgrounds....that dont work in 3D movments it would look strange....
  • edited June 2009
    Rebirth wrote: »
    wow that looks cool.....it looks like hand drawn.....but it wouldnt work ingame because we dont have static Backgrounds....that dont work in 3D movments it would look strange....

Would it? Lots of 3D games use cell shading.
  • edited June 2009
    wezzy wrote: »
    I trust Telltale more than I trust random guys on the internet when it comes to gamedesign and gameart.

take it easy no one has claimed they know how to make games better than TTG... I surely didn't. This thread (at least I think) was made to introduce how things could have been done different.... I for one am not going to be posting anymore examples due to this thread having such a hostile tone.
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    The edits were obviously of just small, singled out elements of the picture (like just the sand, or just the water), like I said just samples of an idea, so criticizing the lack of cohesion is really missing the point. To me, I look at them and just see them as better ideas, as good fan art, not necessarily professionally completed.

Yes! Thats exactly what i was thinking of. Its not about sand at all, its about example of a variety that can effect the scene. Its also about some colours, variety of patterns, perspective, distance, or slight animations and textures in benefit of whole settings and scenes. I dont see anywhere that someone posted picture and said - "HA HA! Look, I m better graphic designer then Telltale!"

True, its hard to conclusion something based on stil pictures, and while i agree that in motion its looks different, it doesnt look much different in terms like colour scheme, backgrounds, patterns, sky, water design and so on.
  • edited June 2009
    Wait to see what the final shots look like when episode 1 is released. From what I've heard, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much polish there is left to do.
  • edited June 2009
    ... I dont see anywhere that someone posted picture and said - "HA HA! Look, I m better graphic designer then Telltale!"

Quite right. There's no need for hostility on these forums. This topic is just a harmless bit of fun, and people's contributions don't constitute a personal attack on any of the wonderful artists who are working on bringing us a very pretty new instalment of Monkey Island.

We're just having a polite discussion about the look of the new game, nothing more. I'm sure that no one here - myself included - is making demands or claiming that they can do better than the Telltale folks.
  • edited June 2009
    It all looks good, but if you don't want people arguing with you then don't start a thread by saying the game has graphic issuses and reading them off like a priviileged intellect. I suppose their is nothing to be gained, and there for no sign of you being in direct compition with TellTale games so that leaves only opinion. Using something as a frame of reference to build upon however suggests that you could evolve the concept yourself. To be quite honest I do like the clouds over the sea, and the way you described it was like a true graphic designer would. You have some good ideas, and your work on the sand appears very life like and well done. You could be a graphic desinger and this thread apparently wasn't meant for criticsms on your behalf, but its almost unimaginable that everyone is going to come into this thread without an attitude. So , I don't want to carry on I am just offering insights on the side why I think it blew up, but their reasons more worth considering, than debating. You have good ideas
  • edited June 2009
    OK in that mindset... TTG shouldn't have put out unfinished screens if they didn't want people to speculate on how it would or could look.
  • edited June 2009
    There's nothing wrong with speculating on the final look of the game. It fits well within the realm of "General Discussion".
  • edited June 2009
    Quite right. There's no need for hostility on these forums.

Haven't seen any. Sure, there were people popping in just to say how pointless a thread this'd be, but this being the internet and all, one needs to know how to deal with trolling.

I watched bits of the E3 stage demo video from Gamespot, and liked how the palms off in the distance looked as if they were hand-painted - I think it's a just a texture acting as a backdrop. Couln't make out any kind of filtering effects or anything similar off this clip though.
  • edited June 2009
    nice work i prefer the modifide images on all of those. yes monkey island is cartoony but it does have a serious darker tone too (at least in the first 2 games and i think telltale should bring that back) and some of the modified screenshots reflect that
  • edited June 2009
    I like the way you did that night image
  • edited June 2009
    I want to play that game now, it looks beautiful ! Thank you for posting that.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah I am looking forward to it just as much as the MI games.... It pretty much seems like it could be in the same world... just on a different Island.
  • edited July 2009
    Still a touchy subject for some of you... So I want to say that I am not saying this is the way the game should look, Im also not saying TTG got it wrong because I think the game looks great... I am just having fun and thinking hmm what would that shot look like if it had been the typical MI night scene?

As an interesting note my daughter (age 10) says she likes the original unaltered shot better :P

So without further ramblings another day to night shot.

Its past your bedtime Guybrush!!!
    79453668.jpg
    Here is the original
    35m35ee.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Why do some people insist MI is usually at night anyway? Don't get it. Seems to me there's been a good mixture of day and night throughout the series and neither one is 'typical'. In fact, I'd be willing to go as far as saying there are more 'daytime' locations in the MI games than night time.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm not insisting anything calm down..... I didn't cancel your birthday.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »

LOL.

Have to say I agree with your daughter though... Im sure that scene would look great at night with the proper lighting however.
  • edited July 2009

I wasn't necessarily talking about you, there are some people around who seem to think MI 'should' be at night ... but you did talk about the 'typical' MI night scene and I'm not sure there's really any such thing. There are a few islands in a night setting, but I think they were all rather different in style.

Incidentally I think your image manip looks good, too, but I think that screenshot rocks as it is. It may be my favourite one so far.

Also I think the latest trailers and screenshots really prove how much polish there was to do since E3 - a lot of people doubted very much would change.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree its my favorite screen shot too... I think the game looks great and I'm not saying that how it should have been done for that particular scene but we have not seen many night screen caps so far.. and I like playing around in photoshop.

Maybe typical is not the word I should have used... instead maybe I should have said the parts that seem to be the most remembered and talked about are the night scenes.. because honestly I can not think of many games that have captured the magic of being outdoors at night as well as the MI games.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree its my favorite screen shot too... I think the game looks great and I'm not saying that how it should have been done for that particular scene but we have not seen many night screen caps so far.. and I like playing around in photoshop.

Maybe typical is not the word I should have used... instead maybe I should have said the parts that seem to be the most remembered and talked about are the night scenes.. because honestly I can not think of many games that have captured the magic of being outdoors at night as well as the MI games.

I suppose that the night scenes of MI do conjure a particular sort of atmosphere very well, yes. In a podcast a little while ago I think it was Mike Stemmle talked about a thematic move from day to night as the series goes on, which means hopefully some of that mood will be recaptured in later chapters.
  • edited July 2009
    I would assume this first episode is mainly set during the day, and the next one will be mainly set in nightime, so we should see nighttime screenshots from episode 2 after the release of this first episode
  • edited July 2009
    I suppose you're right Merkel. Sometimes its hard to remember that this is episodic in nature and they have not finished all the episodes entirely.
  • edited July 2009
    Merkel wrote: »
    I would assume this first episode is mainly set during the day, and the next one will be mainly set in nightime, so we should see nighttime screenshots from episode 2 after the release of this first episode

Well, actually, from what Mike said in that podcast, it seems more likely that it'll be a very gradual transition from daytime scenes to nighttime scenes across the episode (dark and stormy intro aside). That's the impression I got. So we can probably expect ep 2 to take place in the daytime, but perhaps at a later time of day.

It was described as a 'thematic' transition from day to night, so I don't think it's supposed to be later in the -same- day, I think that the idea is that the chapters will gradually get darker as the story gets darker - that's my hunch. I think I remember talking to Jake once and he mentioned that he thinks we'll be surprised by how much the mood of the game changes as the series goes on, and this might be the sort of thing he was alluding to.
  • edited July 2009
    This game really sounds like it's going to be the spiritual successor to LeChuck's Revenge. I love the other games, but the 2nd is unparalleled in its morbid, comedic and yet scary ending. To this date no other adventure game I've ever played has had an ending that came close to being as legitimately scary and frightening as when LeChuck
    walks into the room and stabs your voodoo doll to send you into another dimension.

I love details like LeChuck's body being dug up so they could stuff his soul into his rotting corpse...I really feel like LeChuck became a much more interesting and compelling character in LeChuck's Revenge.
  • edited July 2009
    bloomtint-1.jpg

I'm no expert, but I think that it subtly enhances the feel of the image.
    I'm no expert but it really looks horrible.
    It looks like I need new glasses.
    79453668.jpg

I really love the blue in guybrushs jacket but overall I refere the original.
    PS: Why is the night green? Okay it was in CoMI but I really thought the green sky looked horrible in that game.
  • edited July 2009
    That's not really subtle. It looks like someone dropped a spotlight on Guybrush.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.