Tales of MI - graphic issues and some examples

13»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    It is true that compared with the other games MI2 had some dark, dark moments.

LeChuck: Do you know what happens next?
    Guybrush: Umm... Well...
    LeChuck: I will then take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it my "Screaming Chair". Every day I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?
    Wally: He didn't say what he was going to do to me!
    Guybrush: An ottoman comes to mind.

It'd be nice to see that sort of thing again, sure.
  • edited July 2009
    inso wrote: »
    It is true that compared with the other games MI2 had some dark, dark moments.

LeChuck: Do you know what happens next?
    Guybrush: Umm... Well...
    LeChuck: I will then take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it my "Screaming Chair". Every day I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?
    Wally: He didn't say what he was going to do to me!
    Guybrush: An ottoman comes to mind.

It'd be nice to see that sort of thing again, sure.

Its not really THAT dark is it...? its still comical and tongue-in-cheek.
  • edited July 2009
    I have quoted or referenced that line many, many, many times. That's LeChuck.
    TG wrote:
    Its not really THAT dark is it...? its still comical and tongue-in-cheek.
    I'm going kill you by dropping you in a pit of acid and then magically keep your bones alive forever. You will be able to feel horrible pain as I sit in the twisted creation I've made from your body as I delight in your torment?

It's funny and dark - a rare quality possessed by MI2 - but it is very sinister.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I have quoted or referenced that line many, many, many times. That's LeChuck.
    I'm going kill you by dropping you in a pit of acid and then magically keep your bones alive forever. You will be able to feel horrible pain as I sit in the twisted creation I've made from your body as I delight in your torment?

It's funny and dark - a rare quality possessed by MI2 - but it is very sinister.

But, he didn't say it like that. The said it in an amusing way. The "any questions?" emphasizes this.

Am I alone in thinking that was funny?

EDIT - sorry, didn't finish reading your post!

I agree funny and dark, black comedy basically.
  • edited July 2009
    This game really sounds like it's going to be the spiritual successor to LeChuck's Revenge. I love the other games, but the 2nd is unparalleled in its morbid, comedic and yet scary ending. To this date no other adventure game I've ever played has had an ending that came close to being as legitimately scary and frightening as when LeChuck
    walks into the room and stabs your voodoo doll to send you into another dimension.

I love details like LeChuck's body being dug up so they could stuff his soul into his rotting corpse...I really feel like LeChuck became a much more interesting and compelling character in LeChuck's Revenge.

Exactly this is because I think LeChuck’s Revenge is the best Monkey-Island-Game yet.
    Bytheway, the whole music-track of the final battle in the tunnels can be downloaded here. It captures the atmoshpere beautifully. Listening to this gives me shivers.
  • edited July 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    Exactly this is because I think LeChuck’s Revenge is the best Monkey-Island-Game yet.
    Bytheway, the whole music-track of the final battle in the tunnels can be downloaded here. It captures the atmoshpere beautifully. Listening to this gives me shivers.
    I just flipped it on. I too am getting the shivers. I was expecting the bleeps and bloops. This recreation is brilliant. I wish I could get it as an mp3.

Anyway. I have seen the games not really as a split between 1 and 2 vs. 3 and 4 like many like to divide them but 1/3/4's feel vs. 2. MI2's atmosphere wasn't really wasn't touched upon again later in the series. Thankfully we were provided a worthy and great game in Curse but I felt like the character was more of an evolution of Guybrush in Secret than in LCR. Escape provides more of the same and makes Guybrush even more timid due to his marriage - an acceptable in-character progression but not exactly where I'd want them to go with it.

Tales seems to finally progress upon what Guybrush was like in MI2 which is what I've been wanting to see for years. I always wondered where that beard and jacket had gone to...
  • edited July 2009
    Well, exactly. It's possible for something to be funny and very dark at the same time. I'm not saying there isn't humour in it, but it's not exactly what you'd call a whimsical and light hearted exchange of words.

The other thing to keep in mind was that in MI2, Guybrush was TERRIFIED of LeChuck. He hasn't been scared of him for a while, so I'd love to see TMI get to the point where LeChuck really is someone to be feared again.
  • edited July 2009
    I just flipped it on. I too am getting the shivers. I was expecting the bleeps and bloops. This recreation is brilliant. I wish I could get it as an mp3.

It is an MP3... just right-click save file as.
  • edited July 2009
    inso wrote: »
    Well, exactly. It's possible for something to be funny and very dark at the same time. I'm not saying there isn't humour in it, but it's not exactly what you'd call a whimsical and light hearted exchange of words.

The other thing to keep in mind was that in MI2, Guybrush was TERRIFIED of LeChuck. He hasn't been scared of him for a while, so I'd love to see TMI get to the point where LeChuck really is someone to be feared again.
    You hit on a key point. He really became less...extremely imposing in the third game. I would love LeChuck to become the terror of the seven seas again.
  • edited July 2009
    It is an MP3... just right-click save file as.
    Hm. Thanks.

Apparently I need to pay for Quicktime Pro to do this.
  • edited July 2009
    Hm. Thanks.

Really? You on a mac or something then?

I mean on windows, right-click the link in the thread (then save target as) not the page it links to.
  • edited July 2009
    Hm. Thanks.

Naaah, you don't. I guess you were right-clicking in the quicktime-window, weren't you?

Here you can download the whole soundtrack (and many others)

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

Choose your soundtrack on the left side

Just right-click on the links -> save as...
  • edited July 2009
    Wow. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the help, track downloaded successfully.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Still a touchy subject for some of you... So I want to say that I am not saying this is the way the game should look, Im also not saying TTG got it wrong because I think the game looks great... I am just having fun and thinking hmm what would that shot look like if it had been the typical MI night scene?

As an interesting note my daughter (age 10) says she likes the original unaltered shot better :P

So without further ramblings another day to night shot.

Its past your bedtime Guybrush!!!
    79453668.jpg
    Here is the original
    35m35ee.jpg

any chance you can make a screenshot with telltale' sky, but with those nice and enhanced clouds, really like how the pop out in youre screenshot
Sign in to comment in this discussion.