Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• edited January 2015

Already introduced characters that will definitely become POV later: Jenna Harking, John Gutten, Janae, Garthon Breaker, Gabin Strad, Alanna Reyne, Vashord Tallian, Ilish Granver

Unintroduced characters that will definitely become POV later: Drent Golton, Edward Anturion, Kersea Catelins, I'lian, Alys Boleyn, Raenna Minsworth, Arthur Nathamer, Jenelyne, Jeyne Redwyne, The Hawk, Amelia Dayne, either Lee York or Ser Edrick

And then there are some I am still thinking about making POV, both already introduced and unintroduced. For example, I had planned Leonard as a POV for the last part of chapter 1. Maybe I'll do that in a later chapter.

This list does also not include the Prologue and Epilogue characters of future books, since they include very brutal spoilers.

The Voting is closed! Torvin will stay with Gabin in Harrenhal, while Garthon will travel with George to Maidenpool I started writing

• Jenna Harking I could kinda guess, Garthon will be interesting, Alanna is no surprise either. And for the unintroduced, well most of them don't say much to me of course but Jeyne Redwyne and Amelia Dayne catch my eye since they are from major houses. The Hawk sounds interesting, must have sharp eyes...or claws :D

• I assume all these characters are good if they are to be POV characters.

• I see that my main man The Hawk is up there with Unintroduced characters that will definitely become POV later, could not wish for more =)

• edited January 2015

Lucas

”So, how is it going?”, Lucas asked and leant backwards. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw that Leonard gave him an angry look. Well, the other knight brought that on to himself! John raised his jug of beer. ”First, let me propose a toast! To Lucas Flowers, the craziest son of a bitch I ever had the honour of fighting with!”, he shouted, far louder than necessary. ”Eh... and what's with me?”, Temari asked with a frown. Janae gave him a pat on the back.”We all know that you're not crazy, Temari. You're just stupid...”, she said and sounded completely honest. Temarik tried to make a comeback, but was silenced by a short glance from Gutten. ”Be nice to each other...”, he said with a stern expression on his face.

When he looked at Lucas, he gave him a slight smile.”The Gutters had better days... We have been banned from Qohor, for mocking the Black Goat”, he explained, as serious as someone could possibly say it. Still, Lucas couldn't help but to let out a loud laugh, especially as Behara raised her fingers to her head as if she had goat horns and baaed. Gutten chuckled. ”Yeah... it was something like this, except that it involved Janae seducing the High Priestess of the Goat for our mission and then leaving before breakfast. The Qohoriks wanted to claim my other eye for it, and Temari had to use Wildfire to get me out of that” Temari raised an eyebrow. ”He makes it sound far worse than it was. I only had to kill four of them. The rest likely survived...”, he started but was interrupted by Behara. ”Except the ones that burned to death...”, she said and sounded less than thrilled.

”We will also have problems to find work in Volantis in the future...”, Gutten said, while giving Temari a sharp glare. Temari sighed. ”He was harassing my sister. Not my fault that he lost his teeth”, he explained, while Behara gave him a disapproving look. ”He wasn't harassing me, he was flirting”, she hissed. Gutten shrugged.”Turned out the man was a triarch's son. We figured that we're no longer welcome in that city, so we decided to head back to Westeros. And here we are... well, some of us...”, he explained. Lucas closed his eyes. He noticed that some familiar faces were missing. Before he could ask, Janae cleared her throat. ”Tomjack got killed in Qohor. Leo Swift bit the dust near Pentos. Trout got his share of the money and retired in Volantis. And Red Ryon left the company when we decided to travel to Westeros. Jaro and I'Lian are still with us, but do some work on their own, they should be somewhere near Highgarden right now. They will join us again soon, if they are still alive”, she explained and seemed to look genuinely sad. Lucas could never tell with Janae. For him, she was probably one of the coldest persons he ever met. The only one who managed to make her smile once in a while was Gutten, when he had one of his more approachable moments. Still, Lucas knew that in her own way, Janae cared for the Gutters, as much as John did. ”I'm sorry to hear that...”, Lucas answered. She did not answer. Gutten avoided his gaze for one moment.

In this moment, the red-haired barmaid came back and gave John a new jug of beer. ”A beer for the bear”, she said with a coy grin. As John looked at her, his drunken smile quickly returned. ”Ah... Lucas, may I introduce you to Cass, the prettiest barmaid in Reach?”, he said, while putting a hand around the girls waist. She gave him a playful smack on the head. ”You're pissed, John. You don't know what you're talking”, she said, while Gutten gave her a smile. ”Isn't she great, Lucas? Cass wanted to become a Septa. You have to agree that would have been a waste...”, he said, while Cass gave him another smack. ”You are unbelievable John Gutten!”, she said, but she smiled while saying it. As she went back to the bar, John gave Lucas a wink. ”Who would have known that they have girls like this in Reach?”, he asked and stood up to go after her. Temari rolled with his eyes, while Samantha chuckled and looked at Lucas. ”Was he always like this?”, she asked. Lucas shook his head. ”He can be cold, to anyone, except to the ones he loves. And enough alcohol can change a man. I think I have never seen him drunken like this”, he said.

They looked up, as Gutten grabbed Cass and started to carry her towards the stairs that lead to the second floor. Janae rolled his eyes.”I know him for thirteen years, but that is a new low, even for him”, she scoffed. A haggard old woman stepped out of the backroom, maybe in her late fifties, with a saggy face and with grey hair. ”John Gutten! Not here, you know that!”, she began to shout, but Gutten didn't even seem to notice her. Cass was clearly enjoying it, but let out playful squeals. Gutten finally looked at the old woman as she stepped right into his way. ”Eh, Gunel, let me have something nice for once, will you?”, he said, but he let Cass down regardless. The old woman shook her head. ”You had something nice for the last four nights, Gutten”, she scolded him. Gutten shrugged and shook his head. ”Eh, you're good at ruining all the fun, Gunel”, he moaned, while the older woman gave him a wrinkly smile. Gutten smiled back and looked at the young brown-haired girl that played the harp earlier. ”Lunett! You want some fun tonight?”, he asked and laughed snortingly. Lucas noticed that the innkeeper narrowed his eyes, at least until Gutten bursted into laughter and collapsed on the floor, still giggling. Janae shook her head and looked down on the table.

Temari joined Guttens laughter and stood up. ”I should probably bring John to his room, before he starts to puke”, he smiled. Lucas looked at the innkeeper, with his enormously muscular arms. He doubted that Gutten could take a punch from this guy in his drunken state. Temari walked to John, while giving the innkeeper a friendly wave.”Everything alright, Aylard! I'll bring him to his bed”, he said. ”No, I'm not tired man...”, Gutten started to protest, but Temari grabbed him by the arm and dragged him upstairs. As soon as he was out of sight, Behara looked over to Leonard. ”You're leaving your poor friend sitting there all alone Lucas. Why don't you ask him to sit with us?”, she suggested. Lucas sighed. Oh, not again. He had seen this look in Beharas eyes once, when she fell for a handsome sailor in Pentos. As soon as Temari noticed this, the sailor suddenly wasn't that handsome anymore. ”I don't think I should do that. Besides, he isn't really my friend. We're just on the same mission”, Lucas said. No, the last thing he needed right now was Behara falling for Leonard the Stately.

Well, if you're not talking to him, I will”, the girl said decisively. Samantha looked at her and raised a brow. ”You sure that's a good idea, Hara? Your brother won't be thrilled”, she said in feigned interest. Behara shook her head. ”Do I look like I care? I am almost eighteen years old. I can choose who I want to talk to. Besides, Temari is not my father!”, she proclaimed before walking over to Leonard, who sat on his table with a scowling face. Samantha looked after her and sighed. ”Temari won't like that. And Aylard will hate it. A brawl in his inn is the last thing he wants”, she said, before taking a deep sip from her beer. ”Well, at least your knight is better off hitting on Behara than on Aylards daughter. Temari will just beat him up royally. Aylard would likely smash his legs”, she said while giving a friendly smile to the innkeeper. Lucas looked over and noticed a large warhammer, hanging on the wall behind the man. ”Aylard the innkeeper? Where did he get that hammer from?”, he asked. Samantha shrugged. ”Never asked him. Never cared. I think he was some kind of soldier once. Must have hit him hard when Reach and the Storm King made peace. Apparently nobody told him that there's still Dorne to fight against. He never talks about himself though. You know, he got all that 'wounded warrior'-bullshit veterans are so prone to do”, she snarled.

”Seven”, Janae said. Samantha looked over to her in confusion. ”Seven what?”, she asked. Janae looked over to the innkeeper and leant forwards. ”Seven graves. In the backyard. That man is no wounded warrior, I've seen those. He is simply a family man without a family”, she said, looking genuinely sad for one moment. ”So cut him some slack, Sammy”, she mumbled, before looking down on the table again. Samantha shrugged. ”Whatever... Look at those arms, Lucas. Aylard can definitely use that hammer. So, should your knight try to hit on sweet Lunett, better give him a warning”

Lucas looked over to Leonard. The knight was a competent fighter himself and somehow he doubted that an innkeeper could beat him up, former soldier or not. Temari was a different story, however. Though not older than Leonard, he had more years of combat experience and even fought in Essos for years. Though not the best fighter Lucas had even seen, Temari was still more than able to defeat a knight, especially when he was angry. And there were days where even talking to Behara in the wrong way was enough to make him angry. But Lucas could not judge him. Not after all that Temari had been through. Behara was all that was left of his family.

Janae was still remarkably silent. While she was never talkative in any way, Lucas noticed that she appeared strangely sullen right now. That was still more emotion than she usually showed. ”Is everything alright, Janae?”, he asked. She looked up and then towards the stairs. ”Sometimes, John Gutten is unbelievable...”, she said and closed her eyes for a moment. Lucas knew that Janae and Gutten were close friends, almost like siblings, ever since Gutten saved her life shortly after she escaped her former master. And he had noticed Guttens strange behaviour too. One of the reasons he and Janae always got along so well was that they were similar in their personalities. They were cold, ruthless cutthroats when necessary. Guttens positive side was a bit more visible than Janaes, but still, they could have been siblings. Except that Gutten could not be described as good-looking in any way. ”Is everything alright with him?”, Lucas asked. Gutten was a friend, one of his best actually. But the way he behaved, this cheerfullness, the flirting, excessive drinking, that was not him.

”Ever since Trout left the company, he started to act... strange. I think he is afraid to loose his friends”, she said. Lucas looked at Behara who sat on a chair next to Leonard. The knights frown was gone, replaced by a charming smile. Seven Hells, Temari would not like this. ”He never drank that much and he never was active with whores before. At least not that active. And he requires that blasted Bear song at least once a day. Get's outright melancholic otherwise. Luckily, Samantha has a good singing voice and Behara can play the flute well enough” Janae stopped talking and looked at Behara. She frowned, probably thinking the same thing as Lucas did. Temari would not like this. Not one bit. ”I know him for thirteen years no and for the first time in all these years he seems to be really hit by something. We lost four men in ten months. Five, if we count you. But you're here now” She paused again and looked Lucas directly in the eye. ”You should stay with us, Lucas Flowers. You should hear how Gutten talks about you. It would be good for him and for you. You are one of us” She looked at Leonard, who was still talking to Behara, and made a derogatory hand wave. ”You don't need this. The way he talks to you? To him, you will always be 'Flowers', the bastard knight. The Gutters are family. Nobody of us is better than the others. If you're a bastard, we all are. And when we continue our way, you should join us”, she said with a stern face.

This time, Lucas had no doubt that Janae was serious. He was afraid that it would come to this, one day. The Gutters were his friends, more than that. But he swore an oath, an oath to a good man. ”Janae, you know I can't do that. I'm a sworn knight now...”, he explained, as softly as possible. Janaes gaze hardened. ”You spent a whole year with us, Lucas. You fought with us, you laughed with us and cried with us. My bear took a shine to you. You know that Behara had a little crush on you, don't you? And then you just turn your back on us and leave for Westeros...”, she said with a bitter voice. Lucas gave her a soft smile. Janae had her good sides. She was strong, cold and brutal, but Lucas always suspected that she had a good heart. ”Janae, you and the Gutters are family for me. You helped me, formed me, you took a boy and made a man out of him. But I also have a family by blood here in Reach”, he explained and closed his eyes for a moment. It was brutal injustice that he had been banished from Darkdell. Still, he held no ill will against his father. His brother on the other hand... Petyr was a cunning man and a danger for his family. It were his poisonous words that lead to the banishment. He hadn't heard anything about his family in the past few months, but everyday Petyr was around them was a day they were in danger. ”They need my help, Janae. The old Lord that gave me refuge in the past months, he promised to help. But he is dead. My brother, Petyr, he wants to murder my father and our older brothers as well, to gain control over the house. I have to regain my honour and I have to stop him”, he explained.

”He is right...”, Samantha proclaimed. Janae and Lucas both looked at her in surprise. She looked back and raised her eyebrows ”What are you looking at? Family is important. Mine was killed years ago. Given the opportunity, I would do anything to avenge them. I would hurt the men who killed them. I would make them pay. I would hear them scream. Stranger have mercy, for I have none. But if I had the chance to prevent all of this, I would do anything for it and so should you... Besides, I never liked the name 'Petyr'”, she explained. Janae looked her in the eye and Lucas saw something in her face changing. When she looked at Lucas, she almost smiled. ”Perhaps I was wrong. If it helps you in saving your family, you should regain your honour. And if you meet this Petyr asshole face to face, stab him in the crotch for me, will ya?”, she said and Lucas had to smile. That was actually sweet, considering he was talking to Janae. ”So, how does your current job help you in regaining your honour?”, Samantha asked. This time she even looked honestly curious. Lucas looked at Leonard, who just made Behara laugh with one of his stories. Oh, this won't end well...

”The Lord I lived with, Lord Raylan... he got murdered, alongside his Maester. His castellan suspects the Maester's apprentice, a young boy named Dairon. A bit younger than me. Tall, but very thin. Reddish brown hair, pale skin. He was last seen taking the road to Oldtown, so Leonard and I chased after him. Lord Robert, he promised to help me stop my brother, before he becomes a danger to my family. Perhaps the new lord will do the same, if I manage to bring Lord Roberts killer to justice”, he explained, before noticing that Samanthas face turned into a bright grin. ”What? What is it?”, he asked. ”Lord Raylan of Raylansfair? Is the castellans name... Harris?”, she asked. Lucas looked at her in confusion. ”How do you know?”, he asked and the mercenary let out a slight chuckle. ”Two reasons. The first is, our current employer is this Harris guy”, she said and Lucas couldn't contain a smile. The Gutters were coming to Raylansfair! Mother have mercy, the moment John Gutten would meet Ilhan Lagoon would be priceless! They were exactly the type of man who could not stand to be around another experienced fighter without constantly fighting against him. But still... why would Harris hire the Gutters in particular? As if she had read his thoughts, Samantha continued to speak. ”We are a small group, loyal to our employer, not overly expensive and perfect for small operations. Harris hired the Gutters via courier, three weeks ago. We were in the Dornish Marches, fighting for Swann, the marcher lord. Your castellan offered payment far above what Lord Swann paid, so we decided to accept. You have to know, after the Pentos incident, we have quite a reputation. We only wait to meet up with Jaro and I'lian, they should come here soon” This time even Janae gave him a surprised smile. ”That means you stick around either way, boy”, she said.

”Second reason is that your target sat in this room yesterday”, Samantha continued. This time Lucas almost choked over his beer. ”Dairon was here?”, he asked. The mercenary rolled with her eyes. ”That's what I said, yeah. Kyette, the blonde barmaid, she took some pity on the child and gave him a beer. And after that, he started to tell us everything. About Maester Eaton. About Lord Robert. Most of it was pretty interesting for us, considering that we're going to work in that hellhole soon. He talked to Kyette for a long time, told her a bit more in private. Maybe you should talk to her”, she said. Lucas looked over to the bar. The blonde barmaid wasn't there, instead the old woman, Gunel, was standing there, giving him a short stare. Damn it, he had to hurry! They were close, maybe a few short hours behind him. If they got on the road now, maybe they would catch up to Dairon before he would reach Oldtown. Lucas jumped up. He saw Leonard, who just wrapped an arm around Behara, looking at him in confusion. And in that moment, everything went to hell...

”What the fuck is that!”, a familiar voice shouted. Temari slowly walked down the stairs, his eyes burning with anger. ”I'm gone for a few minutes, having to hear John fucking Guttens drunken gibberish and in the meantime you let my sister whoring around with Ser Fuckturd over there?” He didn't even try to conceal his anger. Lucas was thankful that Temari wasn't armed. Leonard on the other hand was. He saw the innkeeper turning around towards his war hammer. ”Excuse me?”, Behara said, sounding highly irritated. ”Did you just call me a whore?” Temari gave her a short glare. ”You know what I meant! And you, you fucking knight, take your hands of my sister now!”, the mercenary said and took a few steps towards Leonard. Unsurprisingly, Leonard stood up. ”What is your problem?”, he said, looking calmer than he sounded. Lucas felt a hand on his shoulder and as he turned around he saw Samantha standing behind him. ”Come on, Lucas. Sit down, there is no need in interfering with that. Temari knows exactly how far he can go”, she said. She was right, Temari knew exactly how far he could go. But did Leonard know that too? And did Temari even care?

”You are my problem. People like you. You see a pretty girl and all you can think about is making her your little whore for a night”, Temari said. Every word was oozing with disdain. And even though he was calmer than the mercenary, Leonard started to get angry too. ”That was not my intention, you stupid knuckle dragger. Your sister started to talk to me and we were only having a normal conversation. Besides, she is not a child, so why don't you stay out of our business?”, he answered. Temari did not answer, but Lucas could see that he was trembling with rage. ”God damn it! Do something, or I will!”, the innkeeper shouted. Samantha shook her head. ”Let them fight. Temari will give him a beatdown, or, preferrably your knight will give one to Temari. He seems to be the more reasonable of the two. There is no need to be caught in the middle”, she said and gave Lucas a stern look.

[Restrain Leonard] [Restrain Temari] [Get between them and try to restrain both] [Let them fight]

• edited January 2015

So, apparently post size limit is still a problem. After my PC crashed yesterday, I lost two hours of work, exactly the two hours I still needed to complete the part. To make up for it, I used the day to write 2 parts in a row. Hopefully that makes up for keeping you waiting longer than I wanted.

Unfortunately, this part is even longer than the last, that managed to be just shortly under my greatest enemy, the post-length limit. And I can't bare the thought of cutting it. Several hundred words would be required. Combined, these two parts are a mega-part and by far the longest part I have ever written for this.

So, this next part will be posted in two new posts. This one will contain the bulk of the story, the next one will contain the rest of the part and the choices for this part. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm still surprised that post-length limit is actually a thing. If you read this before voting for the Lucas part, please vote under the next Jenna post for both choices.

Jenna 1/2 (choices under the next post, vote there)

”Come on! Give me more, you filthy maggots!”, Ser Ilhan shouted, while effortlessly parrying a strike. His riposte was a swift, quick and severe blow to the recruits knee. The young man fell on the ground, holding his knee and screaming in pain. Ser Ilhan showed him no mercy and started to deliver heavy strikes to the recruits ribs, even targeting the obviously damaged knee a few more times, before finally letting off of him. ”And that is how you don't fight! Have you seen how he completely failed to defend himself? You don't need to deliver the strongest hits on the battlefield, you need to stay alive. You understand that?”, he instructed his recruits. A few days ago there had been seven of them, young boys from the surrounding farmlands. Jenna was on bowing terms with some of them. Today, only four recruits appeared for the training. One has left House Raylan's service, one found a job in the kitchen and a third was still barely conscious after the Impaler hit him on the head. And after today, there were only three recruits left. Jenna watched the training from her safe and comfortable place atop the gatehouse. In the evenings, the guards came here to play cards, but in the afternoon, this was her place. Lady Halla did not need her service during these hours, so she spent her time in the small room, sitting on a chair, watching the recruits train. Sometimes she watched out of the other window, the one that face the city. She had always loved this view more. But Ser Ilhans fighting lessons were definitely more exciting. In her eyes, he was a terrible instructor, similar to Lady Halla. He was only able to induce fear in his recruits and more than once he had beaten them bloody. Yes, he was definitely similar to Lady Halla. On the other hand, Jenna could not deny that the castle guards were exceptionally trained, at least from what she had seen. She could not imagine that there was any castle in the world that had guards who are trained like this. Maybe, Ser Ilhan really understood something about his profession. In that case he wouldn't be so similar to Lady Halla anymore. ”Lady my ass, she's a slave-driver”, she mumbled, before putting her hands on her mouth in sudden shock. Did she just said that aloud? Oh, by the mercy of the Seven, hopefully no one heard that! But who should? Slowly, Jenna Harking started to become a bit calmer. She was alone. And she liked it that way. Nobody could harm her in this room. At least not during this time.

”Come on! Next! Are you maggots? Or are you a pile of shit? Come on, show me that you are at least maggots!”, the Impaler shouted. ”Maybe two of you this time?” Jenna looked down on them and smiled. Yes, she was safe here. She never understood how anyone could ever become a fighter. Her grandfather was a soldier, but he died in battle. And it did the family no good. Jenna still remembered her mother, her soft smile, her brown eyes. But nothing more. When she thought of her mother, she only saw the smile and the eyes. The rest has vanished over the past ten years. But she remembered the despair and helplessness she felt as her mother died. Starved to death, as Maester Eaton said. Maester Eaton... For a short moment she closed her eyes. And was horrified by that. She was able to think about her mother without feeling sadder than usual. But the thought of Maester Eaton made her almost teary-eyed. She barely knew the man! Yet, his death was fresh. It has been two days. It would get easier, yes, it always would. She just had to stay calm, like always. She just had to smile. It was easier when she smiled.

Of course, Ser Ilhan defeated both of his opponents without even breaking a sweat. The first recruit, a fat, young boy from the village, didn't even manage to attack. The second managed to deliver a weak blow to Ser Ilhans chest. The following strike to his shoulder was enough to knock him to the ground, however. Jenna shook her head. What a bunch of idiots, spending all day playing a war, while in the Dornish Marches a real war took place. Her brothers were there, fighting against the Dornishmen in an uneasy alliance with the Stormlands. A few months ago, her father received a letter from them, stating that they are fine and that he should not worry. But after that, nothing. Jenna tried her best not to think about it too much. ”Just smile, Jenna, just smile”, she mumbled to herself.

”What was that?”, a voice called her out. As Jenna turned around in shock, he saw Carma Strad, standing in the doorway of her little safe haven. ”You're talking to youself Jenna?”, she asked with a friendly smile. Jenna calmed down a bit. Carma was no danger. She was the wife of a local tailor and had three children of her own. And she was beautiful, even after three pregnancies, one of the most beautiful women Jenna had ever seen. Her hair was a bright golden blonde, far more shining than Jennas common brown hair. Carmas eyes were a deep blue and she always had a bright smile. Jenna always thought that her own smile looked a bit forced. Maybe because it was, for the most times. She was not a great beauty, but she wasn't bad looking either. But next to Carma she felt like an ugly duckling.

”Carma, you startled me! What are you doing here?”, she asked. Carma smiled. ”Lady Halla told me to look for you. It's almost evening. You should go down and bring Ser Ilhan a refreshment”, she answered and hold up a small carafe. ”Me? But... why me?”, Jenna stuttered. She hated talking to Ser Ilhan. Something about him always frightened her. Then again, she somehow managed to be afraid of Leonard Constantine too and he was arguably one of the nicer people in this castle. Carma shrugged. ”I haven't asked her. The Lady is in a particularly bad mood today”, she said, before handing Jenna the carafe. ”Come on, do it and I will try to calm the Lady down a bit”, Carma offered and gave Jenna a comforting smile. Though only five years older than her, Carma acted like a mother, sweet and caring for the other servants. Because of that, Jenna admired her. She managed to gave her a weak nod before taking the carafe. Why did it have to be the Impaler? She worked here for two years now and in all this time, she had only talked to him once. But that was enough to scare her for a lifetime! In the right light his eyes almost appeared to be red. And his always disgruntled face with the fine wrinkles on his bald head was enough to gave her nightmares. Jenna gulped and started to go down the stairs, trying not to spill any of the wine with her shaking hands. Trying not to be afraid.

Ser Ilhan was just finished beating up the last recruit. One of the boys could hardly walk anymore and had to be carried by the groaning others. ”Get a hold of yourself, maggots, and stop whining for fucks sake!”, Ser Ilhan shouted, before turning around and looking at Jenna. ”What? What do you want?”, he asked with his snarling voice. Jenna had almost dropped the carafe in sheer terror as the Impaler pointed his sword on her. It was only a wooden training sword, but in his hands almost anything seemed to be a deadly weapon. ”M...M'lord....”, she began to stutter. Ser Ilhan took a few steps towards her and grabbed the carafe. ”Are you afraid of me, Jenna Harking?”, he asked. Seven have mercy, he knew her name! Why did he knew her name? Jenna felt tears in her eyes and managed to give him a small nod. This obviously amused the Impaler. ”And why are you afraid of me, girl?” This time his voice softened up a bit. Jenna took a deep breath. ”Because... m'lord you always shout and you always beat the recruits and you always look so angry...”, she said. She almost fainted as Ser Ilhan grabbed her shoulders. He was soft, but determined. ”You really need a backbone, girl. Walk with me and I'll tell you a thing or two”, he said. Jenna felt panic inside of her. ”Oh... No... No... please m'lord I have work to do. Lady Halla will be angry at me...”, she stuttered. The Impaler laughed his raspy laugh.”Bullshit. Lady Halla isn't worth the shit she produces. You little kitchen maggots learn nothing from her. She is just there to scare you. Come on girl. Walk. With. Me”, he said, this time with emphasis. Jenna couldn't do anything, her legs moved automatically. Gods, for years she hadn't been that afraid. Together with the Impaler, she walked towards the walls and climbed the stairs. Ser Ilhan made a handwave, pointing at the city. ”What do you see there, Jenna?”, he asked. Jenna looked at him in confusion. What did he want?

”M'lord I don't understand. I see Raylansfair...”, she said. ”Exactly!”, the Impaler shouted, making her wince. ”That's what I talk about, girl! You see Raylansfair. Home. A place to live in. And you have no backbone. All it takes is one scary-looking Dornishman like me to make you piss your pants! And do you know what? Most of the people down there are like you”, he growled. ”They are weak, they are soft, they are maggots. They wouldn't recognize real danger if it kicks them in the face” He made another handwave, this time towards the ocean. ”And what do you see there?”, he asked, his voice now dangerously low.

Jenna looked at him, in a mix of curiosity, confusion and utter terror. What did he wanted to say? What did he wanted to hear? ”I see... I see the ocean...”, she said. In the moment she saw his face, she knew she gave the wrong answer. ”The ocean...”, he mumbled, before throwing his hands in the air. ”The motherfucking ocean! How typical for you people! You look at the Sunset Sea and only see an ocean. Well, I see danger! Tell me, are you afraid of me?”, he asked. Jenna gave him a weak nod. Oh yes, she was afraid of him. In all her life she had never been so afraid. Not even Lady Halla was that bad. ”You don't need to be”, he answered and to Jennas surprise, his face softened. ”I am no danger for you. I shout, I scream, I cuss like sailor and I beat my recruits bloody. But real danger lies across this ocean. Have you ever seen an Ironborn, girl?”, he asked. Jenna shook her head. Six years ago, they attacked. But they attacked the city, not the surrounding farms. She had never seen an Ironborn before, but she heard stories about them. Stories that kept her awake at night. ”Well, the Ironborn, they are monsters. They are the danger. I shout and look angry to show my recruits how an Ironborn looks like. I beat them bloody to show them how an Ironborn fights”, he said. Jenna took a deep breath. Ser Ilhan did not seem to be angry or terrifying right now. Still, she was afraid.

”But m'lord, your recruits hate you...”, she mumbled. Ilhan gave her an almost friendly smile. ”I don't need to be loved by these maggots if they only survive in battle. I am the master-at-arms. Nobody will ever tell me that he loves my work. Nobody will ever thank me for knocking out his front teeth. Not even when he manages to parry such a strike on the battlefield, a strike that would knock out more than his teeth. But that's alright”, he answered. Jenna realized that her jaw slightly dropped. Ser Ilhan had a human side? She could hardly believe that. ”Why are you telling me that?”, she asked and noticed to late that she failed to adress him as 'm'lord'. Ilhan shook his head. ”Take a guess, girl! You are weak, probably one of the weakest persons I have ever seen! You are so afraid of the world that I couldn't even attempt to teach you some backbone as long as you are afraid”, he snarled. Jenna noticed that she shivered. ”Are you still afraid, girl?”, Ser Ilhan asked. Jenna nodded. Yes, she was still afraid. And there was little that Ilhan could say that would make it different. ”Then do me a favour... think about a monster. Think about the most terrible monster you can imagine”, Ilhan ordered her and Jenna obliged. She failed tough...

The most terrible monster she could think about could not be pictured. Even the statue of the Stranger in the Sept managed to give fear a face. And that was better than nothing. Sheer and utter horror, that was something Jenna could not depict. How should she imagine famine? How should she imagine death? Her dying mother, maybe. But that was not the embodiement of death and famine. Dead or not, that was her mother. Only smiles and eyes remaining. True death was something so much more terrifying that she couldn't even dare to imagine it.

”I... I can't, m'lord”, she finally said. To her surprise, Ilhan patted her on the back. ”That's right, Jenna. You can't. Neither can I. Don't look so surprised, I have fears too. Mine are a soldiers fears. My greatest fear is death. I can't imagine how death looks. I have seen dead people. I have seen dying people. But death, the pure embodiment of death... For a while I imagined it as a giant, winged shadow, raining fire down on us. But death can't be depicted. And in that moment I understood, that there are horrors, far bigger than anything we can even imagine. Death being the worst of them. What I try to teach my recruits is, not to be afraid. They shouldn't be afraid of me. If it can be seen, it can be killed. They should be furiously angry. If I frighten them, they should not piss themselves like children. They should attack me”, Ser Ilhan explained. ”That's why I am here. To teach them that monsters exist. Ironborn being the worst of them. But also bandits. A drunkard with a broken bottle. Anything that can hurt the people we love. But I also teach them that swords exist and that they can be used against monsters. And the moment a recruit manages to land the first blow on me, the first real blow, not this shitty caress they managed today, you should see the proud look on their eyes. I take maggots and turn them into men. I teach them how to survive. Does that make me a monster in your eyes?”, he explained. Jenna looked at him in confusion. Was Ser Ilhan really trying to help her? Why? But she shook her head. ”You are no monster m'lord... if you say the truth...”, she told him. His laugh was terrible and made her wince and shiver. ”That's a good first step. I have seen you a few times, Jenna Harking and I have to admit, even seeing you makes me angry. You are so weak, it is disgusting. You are scared of Lady Halla, you are scared of me, you are scared of Ser Harris. That is pathetic! But you are not beyond hope. I shall make you a stronger person, if you want it or not. That is an order!”, he told her.

Jenna gulped. ”What do you want me to do, Ser Ilhan?”, she asked. She noticed how weak her voice sounded. She noticed it and for the first time in years she wanted to sound different. Her voice was wonderful and fitting for her. She was unassuming and no threat with a voice like this. She was overlooked and overheard. That was all she wanted. But now, she wanted to sound strong. She wanted to wipe that judging look from Ser Ilhans face. But she was too afraid. ”What I want you to do is to become stronger. To face your fears. You are afraid of Lady Halla, right?”, he asked. Jenna nodded. ”Lady Halla is a weak person. Do you know why she never screams when she talks to me? She is frightened of me. That's why she hates me... She is like that maggot whose kneecap I broke earlier today. She can deliver strong blows, but once someone retaliates, she will go down. In all her time here, there were three servicewomen who managed to shut the Lady up. Do me a favour, girl. The next time she says something nasty to you, make it four servicewomen” There was something in the way he spoke that made Jenna feel... braver than before. Was that his job? Making people feel brave? All these years in which she was afraid of him, all for nothing. He was no monster. And maybe he could make her stronger. Did she really want to be stronger? Jenna looked down onto the Sunset Sea. She tried not to be afraid.

• edited January 2015

Jenna 2/2 (This time with choices!)

After the talk with Ser Ilhan, Jenna felt stronger. More confident. She looked the guards in the eye as she walked past them and to her surprise, some of them even gave her a slight nod. She even managed to smile. She felt great! But as soon as she met Lady Halla, a few hours later, all the newfound confidence was blasted away. The housekeeper was shouting at two young servicewomen for breaking a simple clay pot. And she was in a very bad mood. Jenna saw tears flowing down on the girls faces. The housekeeper turned around and saw Jenna. ”Jenna Harking! You worthless pile of trash! Come over here, there is work to do. You know what work is, don't you?”, she shouted. Jenna wanted to say something. Wanted to tell her that she wasn't worthless. That she was hard-working and that she knew that swords existed. But looking into Hallas frightening eyes, all she managed to get out of her throat was ”Yes Lady...” And she wasn't even that sure herself. ”Somebody needs to sweep through Lord Roberts chambers. I am sure this filthy Bastard left the room in a complete mess as he searched it. You will do it, or I swear to the Seven, you better pray to the Stranger”, she hissed. Every word of her shattered the walls of confidence Jenna had just built, like a riptide destroying a sandcastle. Shattered them until there was only Jenna, poor Jenna Harking, all alone in this castle, all alone with a monster. And no sword in sight.

With shivering hands she grabbed a broom and made her way to the Great Tower. She had always liked Lord Raylan. She wasn't afraid of him. He was kind, the few times he talked to her. He thanked her for her service and gave her a friendly smile. She always imagined that her grandfather had a smile like this, at least from what her father told her. And she knew that he had no children. So who would take over Raylansfair? Harris would be a likely candidate in Jennas eyes. He was not a bad man. He was polite, friendly and not arrogant. Ser Darren Tallwood was a good man too, he was always kind and polite. But he was gone for several months now and likely as dead as Lord Robert. No, it would likely be Harris. Harris was a good man, at least from what Jenna had seen. But was he a good lord? Lord Robert has been both. And Harris was at least acting Lord Raylan now. So he already was a lord and had to be adressed as one. Lord Harris Raylan. That sounded wrong...

As soon as Jenna entered the great tower, she heard the voices. It sounded like two men arguing, muffled voices, one man clearly agitated. It came from the second floor, where Harris had his rooms. She had to pass the floor to get to Lord Raylans chambers. With an uneasy feeling, Jenna continued her way up. She reached the second floor. She could almost hear what the two men were talking about. But... should she? That could be dangerous... But for every monster there was a sword...

Jenna stopped. That was wrong. That would get her into trouble. But curiosity got the better of her. She heard two men arguing. Ser Ilhans voice was distinctive. And... was that Ser Harris? Lord Harris, she corrected herself. He was a Lord now. “Who gave you the right to decide in this matter, Harris Flowers?“, Ilhan shouted. For a short moment there was silence, but then Jenna heard the Lord speaking. “I am your Lord, Ser Ilhan. You will never speak to me like that again, do you understand? I am the Lord of Raylansfair, and I intend to stay so!“ Jenna gulped. The way Harris said that sounded almost dangerous. ”It was his last will, Harris. You can't deny him that!”, Ser Ilhan shouted, followed by an audible sigh from Harris. ”I already regret telling you about it. Lord Raylan was old and ill. Not able to make rational decisions. I will make arrangements to prevent the worst damage, even if the boy should reach Oldtown. Or if Lucas and Leonard should bring him back here”, the acting Lord said. ”What are you suggesting, Harris? Do you want to kill them all? Do you want to frame the young Dairon for a murder he never commited? That's what Harren Hoare would do!”, Ilhan shouted. Harris did not answer at first. But when he continued to speak, he sounded sad and far older than he truly was.”I am afraid, Ilhan. This house is all I have. I will not let it burn to the ground, just because Lord Raylan decided it would be a good idea” ”Seven Hells Harris! You are more pathetic than the servicewoman I spoke to earlier! At least she had something that could get better. You are just a wincing child, afraid of change! We have to inform the King about Lord Raylans last wish. He will decide in that matter!”, Ilhan said. ”We will NOT inform the king!”, Harris answered. His voice sounded determined and angry now. ”And you will speak to me with respect! I am your lord!” Jenna gulped and noticed that she shivered with fear. ”You made a bloody vow to honor Lord Raylan and his wishes! You are his castellan!”, Ser Ilhan answered. ”Some vows are meant to be broken...”, Harris answered, his voice barely audible through the thick wooden door. Jenna closed her eyes. She had to get to work. But this... She had to try not to be afraid. Maybe she could start here.

[Get back to work] [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

• {Let them fight}

Lucas ”So, how is it going?”, Lucas asked and leant backwards. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw that Leonard gave him an angry look.

• {Continue eavesdropping on the coversation}

Jenna 2/2 (This time with choices!) After the talk with Ser Ilhan, Jenna felt stronger. More confident. She looked the guards in the eye

• It is great to see the new installments of the story. I understand that mishaps can happen at times, so it is great to see that it didn't stop you from putting out the story though.

Jenna 2/2 (This time with choices!) After the talk with Ser Ilhan, Jenna felt stronger. More confident. She looked the guards in the eye

• [Restrain Temari]

[Continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

• edited January 2015

[Let them fight] Not my problem lolz :D

[Continue eavesdropping on the conversation] Too interested to just leave :p

I remembered Oberyn's style to speak in the show and started to think the Impalers lines in dornish accent XD

• [restrain temari]

[continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

• Oh great, now I will never get that accent out of my head again XD

[Let them fight] Not my problem lolz [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation] Too interested to just leave I remembered Oberyn's style to speak in the show and started to think the Impalers lines in dornish accent XD

• Alt text

Oh great, now I will never get that accent out of my head again XD

• [Get between them and try to restrain both]

• [Let them fight.]

**[Continue eavesdropping.] **

• [Restrain Leonard]

I really wanted to see the 'Let Them Fight' Gif but for ol 'Lenny's safety I couldn't.

[Get back to work]

• [Let them fight]

• [Let them fight] Someone's bound to get pissed, so just keep Lucas away from there pissing contest. This tavernkeeper is bound to stop them anyway.
    [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation] These may aswell be Ser Ilhan's final words. Plus I am quite interested myself.

Honestly, at first, Jenna and Ilhan reminded me of Sansa and Hound.

• That was unintended, but rereading it, I definitely see it. Now I can only hope that people don't start to ship them, since I really can't think of a fancy ship name for these two XD

[Get between them and try to restrain both] [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation] Honestly, at first, Jenna and Ilhan reminded me of Sansa and Hound.

• Jenhan

That sounds weird.

That was unintended, but rereading it, I definitely see it. Now I can only hope that people don't start to ship them, since I really can't think of a fancy ship name for these two XD

• edited January 2015

Ilna?

Pipas posted: »

Jenhan ... That sounds weird.

• [restrain temari]

[continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

• [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

[Let them fight]

• [Continue eavesdropping on the conversation]

[Let them fight]

Alt text

• The Voting is closed!

Lucas will be like this:

Alt text

Jenna will continue to eavesdrop on the conversation

The writing for the next part has started, it will likely consist of two shorter POV's, but only one choice. It should be up either later today, or tomorrow. We're nearing the end of the chapter pretty fast!

• Siv...read my comment above Super's here..

SivD1 posted: »

[Continue eavesdropping on the conversation] [Let them fight]

• Didn't even read it, to be honest ;)

Siv...read my comment above Super's here..

• [Restrain Leonard]

I really wanted to see the 'Let Them Fight' Gif but for ol 'Lenny's safety I couldn't.

SivD1 posted: »

Didn't even read it, to be honest

• Maya

She looked at Gregar. The man looked pretty competent. Surely, the old Lord Redfort wouldn't give her a weakling for this mission. And she believed him, that the Mountain Clans would be no danger for him. He almost looked like one of them! But, the stories she heard were enough to give her a more than uneasy feeling. The Mountain Clans had resisted every king of the Vale for the past six thousand years. They descended directly from the First Men. They had cruel and bloody rituals for their Old Gods. No, she wouldn't take her chances on Gregar, as reliable as he might be. She looked at the Bronze Lord, who still observed her, with his nightmarishly pale eyes, smiling his stilted smile, being dangerously calm for a man of his reputation. Then again, the most dangerous men she ever met had been calm.

Truly dangerous men didn't need to be angry to get what the want. They only need to be.

“I made up my mind. We'll take a ship in Gulltown, and travel to Crackclaw Point. From there we take the road through the Stormlands, completely bypassing the Mountains and the Riverlands”, Maya decided, noticing a slight shift in Gregars face. “We're travelling with a fucking ship? What is this shit, you don't trust me?”, he mumbled, but was immediately silenced by a short glare from Lord Royce. “The safe way, huh? I would have thought you were more of a daring type”, he said and chuckled. Daring? Yes, Maya thought of herself as very daring. Daring enough to deal with the Bronze Lord. Royce looked at Gregar. “Maya is the leader here, do you understand? If she gives you an order, you follow. You protect her, under any costs, until either me or Lord Redfort command you otherwise. Is that clear?”, he asked, his voice becoming harder for a short moment. Gregar crossed his muscular arms and Maya noticed that he wore plated gauntlets, with a black wooden cover. Was that ironwood? She knew the falconers of the Vale used covers like this.

Gregar noticed her short stare, as did Lord Royce. “Gregar is not a falconer”, he said and looked at Gregar. The other man grumbled, before adding “For my owl. Ember”, he said. Lord Royce smiled. “I am glad you shared this detail with us, Gregar”, he said softly, before looking at Maya again. “My dear child, I am sure you will fill us all with pride”, he spoke, before standing up. “You will travel, not only as my... the Vales agent, but also as the ambassador of House Arryn in Raylansfair. It might help you in speaking with this weak lord, or his Maester”, he said, before walking to a small chest in the back of the room.

“As an official ambassador, you need to look like one of course. That's why I'm giving you a gift now”, he revealed, before opening the chest. He pulled something out. A blanket? No, as Lord Royce showed it to her, Maya saw a hooded cloak, probably the finest cloak she had ever seen. It was all in black, but elaborately decorated with red runes. The Bronze Lord almost seemed to be proud as he gave it to her. “Wear it with pride, Ambassador Iresons”, he commanded. And as Maya put the cloak on, she felt indeed something resembling pride. Ambassador Maya Iresons! A few years ago, who would have thought that. For probably the first time, she smiled at Lord Royce.

Her smile quickly faded as the Bronze Lord smiled back. “I have one more thing for you”, he proclaimed and handed her a small casket. “They are exeptionally crafted. Not quite Valyrian Steel, but they should still serve you well”, Royce explained. As Maya opened the casket, she saw two daggers, the hilts richly ornamented with the sigils of House Royce and House Arryn. For one moment, she was speechless. Orson Royce never made any presents without expecting something in return. “I... Mylord Royce... I don't know what to say...”, she stuttered. “Say nothing, sweet child. You're actions will be gratitude enough”, he said. Gregar grumbled something and Maya gave him a short glare. That could be fun. The journey to Crackclaw Point would take at least five days. Five days on a boat, with only Gregar to talk. Or not to talk. And they needed to find a ship first.

As if he had read her thoughts, the Bronze Lord turned to her. “I assume you have to pack some things first. But as soon as you're ready, meet one of my men at the harbour”, he said. Maya could only look at him in disbelief. He had already known she would take the safe route! How has he done that? Royce shook his head. “You are easy to read, sweet Maya. I knew you would take the safe route. That's why I chose you for this job. We can't need someone who is willing to take needless risks. Too much is at stake”, he explained. Maya could only nod. There were times were the Bronze Lord managed to surpass the oceans of fear he managed to instill in Maya, calmly evoking feelings beyond terror inside of her. These were the times were she would truly understand, why he had a reputation like this. He knew how people would think, before even they knew it.

“Who...”, she began to ask, but was silenced by Lord Royces smile. Why did she even talk to him? He already knew. “I assume you know him. His name is Irving Todd”, he explained. And in that moment, Maya knew without a doubt, that Lord Royce had a terrible sense of humour. “Irving? Mylord Royce, you're going to send me on a mission with Irving Todd? Irving the Useless?”, she asked, still in disbelief. Yes, she knew Irving Todd. The Vales whiniest watchguard. He was useless, in more than one way. No sense of duty. No sense of honour. No skills in combat. No discipline. Yes, Maya did not like him. He was everything she never wanted to be. “Why him, mylord Royce? Out of all people, why him?”, she asked.

“Because he is easy to manipulate, sweet child. I know exactly what he wants. And I find it oddly refreshing to give him some task this once. He won't have any big role for you, I assure you. He will carry your belongings and Gregars too. He will cook your food. I have heard that he isn't that bad as a cook. He will serve as a human shield should you be attacked. Consider him your loyal servant. I have informed him that he has to follow your word as much as he has to follow mine. After a few moments he was eager to follow my orders”, the Lord explained.

Maya sighed, resigned to her fate. There she was, doing a task for the most dangerous man in Westeros, accompanied by a semi-mute Mountain Man and her very own waste of space.

“I guess I should go on my journey, Mylord Royce”, she groaned.

No Choices for this part

Richard

Richard looked at his friends. Phillip gave him a cheery smile. “Don't worry, Richard. Ilish is fine, she'll manage”, he said. He looked at Ilish and the stranger. He saw the grin on the strangers face, a cold and almost emotionless grin, the grin of a dead man. Richard made a decision. “Sorry Phillip, but I have to do this”, he said and stood up.

“That won't end well...”, Phillip mumbled, but to Richards surprise he stood up. He met Richards surprised gaze and chuckled.“What? You think I'm going to let you go there alone?”, he said in a decisive tone.

Urid let out a sigh and stood up too. “Well... I don't think I have much of a choice here, do I?”, he asked. Richard noticed that he didn't seem to be too sad about this.

As the three men walked up to the stranger, Richard noticed his heart beating in his chest. And he asked himself why he was so nervous. They were three men, the stranger was alone. And while Richard was the only one of them who was really muscular, Phillip and Urid were no weaklings either. The stranger on the other hand looked more lanky, almost gaunt, at least as far as Richard could see it under the man's long brown overcoat. He looked rather harmless, if it weren't for those dead eyes and the unnerving smile. As the three men approached him, he gave them a deep stare, his smile fading. Ilish used this distraction to break free from his grip and gave him a hard slap in the face with the backhand. The stranger, more surprised than hurt almost fell from his chair.

“Fucker... Thanks Richard”, Ilish mumbled before taking a step backwards. Richard noticed that she was shaking. The stranger stood up, first looking at her with anger, before facing the three men. He wasn't tall and actually had to look up to look Richard in the eyes. “What was that about?”, he asked, his voice harsh, raspy and more befitting to an older man, but remarkably calm. “I was only having a nice conversation with the lady”, he hissed. Phillip sneered. “Yeah, 'nice conversation'. Let us be the judge of that”, he said. The stranger slightly opened his coat and Richard gazed a rusty dagger in a leathery sheet. Suddenly the man didn't seem to be that harmless anymore. “Yes. A nice... conversation”, he said with emphasis, staying dangerously calm. His eyes were wide opened and Richard noticed that he hadn't blinked one time.

“What does it matter to you with whom I talk?”, the stranger asked again, this time he looked Richard directly in the eyes. The farmer noticed that he winced and actually had to blink to stand this gaze. It was unsettling. And the unnerving smile was gone.

“Ilish is a friend and you were clearly harassing her”, Urid said, but was silenced by a sharp glare from the stranger. “Harassing? I am not harassing her”, the stranger said again. “I'm only waiting for blacksmith Mettel to finish my appointment” Riachard froze. Lyria! That creepy weasel had something to do with her? That could explain her earlier tenseness. “What do you have to do with Lyria?”, Richard asked and with clenched fists. The stranger looked down, then up again. “Harassing her, apparently”, he said with a bitter voice, before smiling again. “The dear blacksmith Mettel is just doing an assignment for me. And I'm going to pay her appropriately. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to worry...”, he said, apparently not noticing or not caring for the angry look in Richards face. The way he answered was provoking and Richard was only seconds away from grabbing him and slamming his head on the table. Only seconds...

Phillip seemed to notice that too and put a hand on Richards shoulder. “Easy now... What is your name, stranger?”, he asked. The stranger gave him a slight smile and Richard noticed that Phillips hand on his shoulder strained for a moment.

“Woodbark. Wolfius Woodbark”, the sranger said and gave Phillip an irritated stare as the man started to laugh. “Come on, your bullshitting us. You made up that name”, he said. Wolfius shook his head. “That is my name”, he insisted, before looking Richard straight in the eye. “And what's yours?”

Richard gulped. He noticed that he barely breathed. This stinking weasel was not only harassingIlish and Lyria, now he was targeting him as well. He wouldn't take any of his crap. “My name is Richard Harking. Now could you please...”, he started, but was interrupted by Wolfius, who was looking at Phillip now. “Harking. I'll remember that. And yours?”, he asked. Phillip looked at Richard, visibly confused. “What is that shit about, creep?”, he asked. “I'm not giving you my name, who knows what you're going to do with it, maybe jerking off to it or stuff”, he answered with a mocking smile. Wolfius only gave him a cold glare before turning to Urid. “And yours?”, he asked again, this time with empasis. Urid looked at Richard for help, when Ilish cleared her throat. “His name is 'Geddafuck Outtahere'. And before you ask, my name is 'Orill Katya Ballsoff'”, she said with a voice as sweet as a knife.

Wolfius gave her a confused look. “And people say I have a weird name. Mind if I call you... Katya? That's a pretty name...”, he said, but he seemed to understand what Ilish was saying and took a few steps back. “We will meet again”, he proclaimed and walked out of the inn, leaving Richard in mild confusion. This stranger seemed to be weird, almost laughable. Yet... something was off with him. His smile. His stare. His strange way of speaking, always so calm and monotone. This man wasn't harmless. Not at all.

“What the fuck was that?”, Phillip finally managed to say. Urid shook his head. “A madman obviously. He was creeping me out”, he muttered, before looking at Ilish. “Are you alright?”, he asked softly. Ilish snorted. “Of course I'm alright!”, she hissed, before giving the men a smile. “But I appreciate the help”

“What exactly did he told you?”, Richard finally asked. He did not like this. This man had an assignment with Lyria? And the look in his eyes...

“It started as polite talk. He asked me about the city. Said he came from another city, had to do some business in Raylansfair”, Ilish said and sighed. “But as I went to leave, he grabbed my arm. He was still polite, in a creepy way. Gave me compliments”, she continued. Phillip gave her a bright smile. “Yeah, he was clearly a madman”, he joked, but quickly shut up, as Ilish gave him a furious look. “You think dealing with creeps is funny, Phillip Loren? Try wearing a dress in this inn for a day and we'll talk”, she hissed. “He was polite, calm, but unnervingly pushy. And he wouldn't let go of me. Asked me about my name. My age. Where I live. Haven't told him anything of course”, she continued, sounding visibly distressed. “I'm glad that you guys were here”

With these words, Ilish turned away and walked over to another table, as if nothing had happened. Phillip chuckled. “Well, she's is fine that's for sure”, he said. “So, we're going back to drinking our beers now, or do you want to spend more time thinking about Wolfido Woodbarf, or whatever his name was?”

“Woodbark”, Richard said. “The name was Woodbark. And I don't think we should make fun of him” He gave Phillip a stern look.“You noticed that too, right? That stare, as if he would look directly in your soul. That is no man you should make fun” Richard shuddered for a moment. “I'm afraid we have to cancel our meeting...”, he muttered. “This guy said something about an assignment he had with Lyria. I'll gotta go and warn her about him”

Phillip shook his head. “Don't think she will listen to you Richard, but go on, knock yourself out”, he scoffed. Urid gave Richard a cheerful smile. “I think you're doing the right thing. You're always doing the right thing”, he said.

Richard gave him a sad smile. “Trust me Urid, that's hardly true”, he answered before turning around, leaving the Inn and stepping out on the streets. It was evening, slightly warmer than the last evenings, but still cold. It was autumn and according to the Citadel, it would be a short autumn, barely a year long. Winter was coming. It was going to be a harsh winter and the thought alone made Richard shiver. Of course, he had a long summer to hoard supplies. Yet still, the thought of years of winter always filled him with an uneasy feeling. It wasn't quite fear, but more like worry. Worry for his daughter. Worry for his friends. The last winter took his wife, when the food hadn't been enough. Richard looked to the Sept. On days like this he found it hard to believe in the mercy of the Seven. It must have been a cruel joke from them, to give their world unpredictably long seasons. The last summer had been six years long, the last winter only five. But these five years had been enough to shatter Richards world. He looked up to the castle. At least Jenna had a good life now. The castle was safe. The castle was warm. And nobody would ever starve to death in the castle.

He continued the way through the city, up towards the forge, while the sun set. Soon, Raylansfair was illuminated only by the last shafts of sunlight, a gloomy red twilight. Richard had always loved the night, especially in Raylansfair. It was quiet, peaceful and calm. The perfect time to think and to be alone for some time. As always, Richard had a lot to think about. His family, mainly. Jenna was his only daughter, his sweetest child. She was gentle and timid, yet sometimes Richard was more afraid about her than she could ever be herself. It was truly a blessing that Lord Robert gave her the position as a servant. Richard had to insist that she tried to get this position and even though he never asked, he was certain that Maester Eaton had his hand in this. He knew the old Maester had feelings of guilt for not being able to save Richards wife. And then there were his sons. Arvin, his oldest son, his most ferocious son. Dylar and Dramin, Jennas younger brothers, barely grown men, trying to emulate their older brother. The day they had volunteered to follow him into the war was one of the darkest in Richards life. They were in the Dornish Marches now, fighting alongside the forces of the Storm King. Fighting against the Dornish. Richard didn't knew what was worse.

As he passed an alleyway, something caught his eye. Made him freeze in terror. There, on the ground laid a body. He couldn't see who it was. He didn't even look, for above this body, a figure stood. Richard couldn't detect any features in the dark, but he saw that the figure was armed with a short dagger. For a moment, Richard and the figure stared at each other, before the figure turned around and ran down the alleyway. Richard rushed to the body. It was a young girl, maybe a bit younger than Jenna, with short red hair and a pretty face, freckled like Ilish's. A thin, red smile was on her throat. Richard looked up and saw that the figure already advanced a few metres.

[Run after the killer] [Call for help]

• [Run after the killer]

Amazing chapter!

Maya She looked at Gregar. The man looked pretty competent. Surely, the old Lord Redfort wouldn't give her a weakling for this mission. A

• [Run after the killer]

Maya She looked at Gregar. The man looked pretty competent. Surely, the old Lord Redfort wouldn't give her a weakling for this mission. A

• [Call for help]

Awesome Chapter!!!!!!!!!!

• [Call for help]

Hope did this before, and running after the killer got people killed.

• [Call for help] Richard, you got to stop being the hero. Who do you think you are? Jon Snow?

• [Call for help]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.