Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• Could we maybe get a tentative list of the characters who are going to make their debuts in Chapter 2? I want to do some weird name dissection like I did with the earlier chapters.

• Ah, with pleasure, I always do this gladly. Keep in mind, this list might not be complete and not all I mention here might actually find a spot in the chapter proper, in some cases this will depend on how the part they are supposed to appear in will flow while I write it and in other cases, the plans are not entirely final, but if one of these does not appear in Chapter 2, chances are good they'll make it into Chapter 3. Most of these characters will appear in the next chapter though, that is certain. So, without further ado, let us begin:

New characters to appear in Chapter 2:
    Ribel Orkwood, Agar the Cold, Vii the Innocent, The Hawk, The Pig, The Rat, Hazar the Weak, Inquisitor Hadrax, Ser Lachlan Keding, Semsi the Slicer, Nalia, Adian, Maldar the Quiver, Mirandra the Sweet, Sharako the Orphan Mother, Jorario the Beast, Timos the Hammer, Jaqiros Nestoris, Vhassah the Shield, Montoya the Duelist, Marie Redloon, Wildor Goodbrook, Lady Evelyne Blackwood, Walder Blackwood, Ethan Blackwood, Raymon Blackwood, Marian Blackwood, Ser Torvin Hale, Lyra Bracken, Sebastian Sand, Bartmer Tidewater, Adelayne Camberlyng, Asher Velaryon, Salazar Redwind, Herman Irons, Barnell Nednock, Neil Nednock, Kory Umber, Arryn Blackwell, Vanis Rardein zo Narrn, Jaerelos Hartys, Nea Umber, Kari Umber, Runa Umber, Melany Stratford, Naela Orlatis, Irae Caleris, Naelys Qaranor, Lazaaros Fyllaar, Konrad Blacktyde, Rose, Johannes Challender, Maurice Mad-Eye, Hishi, Seresa Stassohr, Remi Royce, Lucia, Yusuf Hillsider, The Fang, Lord Donnel Selwyn, Valydyn, Hemys Raelgaeron, Ser Vahaegor Caentaris, Rowan Crios, Lord Chrass Serry, Melvard Purcell, Aryl Purcell, Alwin Redwyne, Otho Wayland, Viera Coldwater, Cale Nullgard, Lady Margo Serry, Vanesha Selwyn, Osborn Royce, Redmond Royce, Ser Gerold Grimm, Lord Alester Allyrion, Lady Belandra Allyrion, Ashara Allyrion, Yandry Allyrion, Dustran Selwyn, Dana Darke, Valeris Selwyn, Derik Selwyn, Visedar Solus, Eraenys Solus, Aena Solus, Selyse Selwyn, Lord Kyle Coldwater, Gylbert, Helerei Hewett, Ser Garibald Chester, Dunaver Flowers, Garris Oparo, Gill, Lucifer, Holgar the Red, Lysara Rogare, Lord Zeth Arryn, Octavia Shett, Arianna Hewett

So far, so few. Seriously though, this might finally be the chapter where the list of unintroduced characters shrinks a bit, which is definitely extremely important and I would be overjoyed if I manage to achieve this. I dearly hope I haven't forgotten any character that will appear in this chapter, as the ton of names has honestly gotten a tiny bit overwhelming. As said, with most of these I am actually positive I will be able to introduce (not yet necessarily develop) them, so let's see how it all works out :)

Could we maybe get a tentative list of the characters who are going to make their debuts in Chapter 2? I want to do some weird name dissection like I did with the earlier chapters.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited January 2018

So many characters, lots of analysis.

Ribel Orkwood,

The real question is, is he an Orc of Isengard or of Mordor?

Agar the Cold, Vii the Innocent, Hazar the Weak

I have a feeling these guys are not what their sobriquets say they are.

The Hawk, The Pig, The Rat

Coming in Chapter 3: The Owl, The Goat, The Squirrel.

Inquisitor Hadrax

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Seriously though, probably some Faith Militant wacko.

Semsi the Slicer, Nalia, Adian, Maldar the Quiver, Mirandra the Sweet, Sharako the Orphan Mother, Jorario the Beast, Timos the Hammer, Jaqiros Nestoris, Vhassah the Shield

Here we have an Nestoris, interesting enough. The Slicer is strange, I would not expect that to be a word known to medieval Westeros. The rest of these people should like a traveling band of weirdos, or actors. The last one, the Shield. I wonder if they have anything to do with the Shield Islands.

Montoya the Duelist

My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Lady Evelyne Blackwood, Walder Blackwood, Ethan Blackwood, Raymon Blackwood, Marian Blackwood

Back in the Black(wood). Very interesting. Should add some stuff to the Riverlands storyline.

Barnell Nednock, Neil Nednock

Nednock for some weird reason is one of the strangest names I've heard from this story.

Hishi

Hishi has confused me for chapters, so, like months/years. I have always heard so much about them, but I end asking what sex they even are and what the hell are they about. I doubt my many questions will be answered. So strange.

Valydyn, Hemys Raelgaeron, Ser Vahaegor Caentaris, Rowan Crios, Melvard Purcell, Aryl Purcell, Alwin Redwyne, Otho Wayland, Viera Coldwater, Cale Nullgard

These are ASOIAF names alright. So many y's where i's should be and lots of "ae".

Lord Alester Allyrion, Lady Belandra Allyrion, Ashara Allyrion, Yandry Allyrion

The Allyrion family, ah. Not surprised to be seeing them since Ysilla and everything. Yandry though, that, that is a weird name. It sounds like someone yawned in the middle of saying "Gendry".

Dana Darke, Visedar Solus, Eraenys Solus, Aena Solus, Lord Kyle Coldwater, Garris Oparo, Gill, Holgar the Red, Lysara Rogare, Lord Zeth Arryn, Octavia Shett

Ah the Solus family. I remember someone mentioning they submitted them. Should be interesting. A Lord Arryn? Presumably the Gulltown branch, right? I can imagine that he will have a big impact for a particular event in the story. A Rogare too. Interesting.

Lord Chrass Serry, Lady Margo Serry, Helerei Hewett, Ser Garibald Chester, Arianna Hewett

Shield Islands characters! Is Helerei pronounced Hillary? That may or may not change my opinion of the characters, heh. Batter up, eh?

Lord Donnel Selwyn, Vanesha Selwyn, Dustran Selwyn, Valeris Selwyn, Derik Selwyn, Selyse Selwyn, Gylbert, Dunaver Flowers

Ah my characters. All hail the Donnel. Can't wait to see how the readers respond to 'em.

Lucifer

Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones

Pleased to meet you,
    Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah.
    But what's puzzling you is just the nature of my game.
    Just as every cop is a criminal,
    And all the sinners saints.
    As heads is tails just call me Lucifer,
    'Cause I'm in need of some restraint.
    So if you meet me,
    Have some courtesy,
    Have some sympathy, and some taste.
    Use all your well-learned politesse?
    Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah.

• The real question is, is he an Orc of Isengard or of Mordor?

Don't rule out the possibility that this is a Mount Gundabad orc. I mean, oh my god, just because someone is an orc doesn't mean they have to be from Isengard or Mordor, you can't just say stuff like that! Jokes aside, Ribel is actually a she (and most certainly not an orc), which kinda makes the name one of the weirder ones, to be absolutely fair. To be precise, Ribel has been mentioned before, as the salt wife of Reymand Orkwood and former spouse of Gabin Strad.

Here we have an Nestoris, interesting enough. The Slicer is strange, I would not expect that to be a word known to medieval Westeros. The rest of these people should like a traveling band of weirdos, or actors. The last one, the Shield. I wonder if they have anything to do with the Shield Islands.

Hm, I must admit I am not sure if this word is out of place, though according to my knowledge, slicing is perfectly common and should have been in a medieval society, given that it describes a certain technique of cutting stuff and that is something the human race has always been talented at. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt here.

My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Now take a guess whom this character was (in name at least) inspired by ;)

Nednock for some weird reason is one of the strangest names I've heard from this story.

Sometimes, it has to be said. I have received all kinds of names, from super fitting ones to pretty odd ones and this is definitely among the odder choices.

Hishi has confused me for chapters, so, like months/years. I have always heard so much about them, but I end asking what sex they even are and what the hell are they about. I doubt my many questions will be answered. So strange.

You probably won't receive answers to all of your questions, so maybe at least some secrets about the enigma that is Hishi will be revealed.

The Allyrion family, ah. Not surprised to be seeing them since Ysilla and everything. Yandry though, that, that is a weird name. It sounds like someone yawned in the middle of saying "Gendry".

Actually, Yandry is a canon name, apparently of Rhoynish origin, as the only character from the books with that name is a Rhoynar. Though House Allyrion is of Andal descent, the strong rhoynish influence in Dorne likely resulted in a generally broader variety of names. Both names probably originated from the same source though while the Andal Westeros has long since evolved the name to Gendry, the Rhoynar had a different development where the name turned into Yandry and in Dorne, where both cultures meet, both names are likely to be common.

Ah the Solus family. I remember someone mentioning they submitted them. Should be interesting. A Lord Arryn? Presumably the Gulltown branch, right? I can imagine that he will have a big impact for a particular event in the story. A Rogare too. Interesting.

Aye, the Solus family has been submitted by TheRightfulKing and they will make their debut in the next chapter :) Zeth Arryn meanwhile is indeed of the Gulltown cadet branch and therefore will play quite the role in the events set around that city.

Shield Islands characters! Is Helerei pronounced Hillary? That may or may not change my opinion of the characters, heh. Batter up, eh?

Helerei is actually pronounced Heleri, because I misspelt her name in this overview (but not in the actual character list, strangely enough). I am not sure how it is pronounced, though since the Hewett family has a liking for soft, flowery names, I'd say it is pronounced slowly and softly, like Heh-Leh-Rih. Alternatively, a fast pronounciation, something sounding a bit like Helleri could be in the realms of possible, though I am tending towards the former as the pronounciation. Definitely no Hillary in the story yet and I actually hope this will never change.

Ah my characters. All hail the Donnel. Can't wait to see how the readers respond to 'em.

That... should be all of them, right? The problem with them is that in the character document, they are so far between each other and while I know I have included every member of the Selwyn family in this list, I only remembered Gylbert, Dunaver and Lucifer from the household and I am not sure if those were all of them or if I missed one hiding between all these characters. If one of the Selwyn household is missing from this list, let me know, they are supposed to be all at least introduced in the next chapter.

So many characters, lots of analysis. Ribel Orkwood, The real question is, is he an Orc of Isengard or of Mordor? Agar t

• Originally planned for yesterday, I think I left you without new content for too long. Here you have the alternative choices for the first chapter of Book 2. The What If parts are going to happen as well, though likely tomorrow. My current plan is to begin the next chapter on Sunday or Monday. Until then, have a nice couple of days :)

Also, on another note, I have received a couple messages, but I am very busy today, just barely managing to write these alternative choices all together. I will try to respond to most of the shorter messages today, tomorrow at latest, but it might take me until early next week to answer to the longer messages for those that are still waiting for a reply from me. Be assured, it will come, but I might need a bit of time, you know me :D

Alternative Choices: Book 2, Chapter I

Ellena I:

[Speak up in defence of Noelle]

This choice would have put Ellena onto a more forgiving path towards Noelle. Not entirely absolving her of her crimes, by no means no, but she would have accepted the chance that Noelle might be important, in a slightly stronger way than what she eventually did in her final part this chapter. Further choices could have eventually meant her even learning to forgive Noelle. The priestess herself would have seen this as a sign that Ellena is willing to forgive her, which would have shaped her future actions as well. In general, the choices in this chapter would have leant towards a less hard attitude towards Noelle. Wulvren would have been displeased but surprisingly, while Aegon and surprisingly Visenya would have been impressed by Ellena speaking up (even if they don't really share her opinion), due to the guts this takes.

Richard I:

[Tell Leonard not to hide]

As a result of Leonard not hiding, they would have revealed almost the full truth to Mathea. Though understandably shocked and probably a slight bit overwhelmed at first, she wouldn't have betrayed their trust at all. In fact, Mathea would have proven to be a valuable ally, even if she never would have fully joined this resistance movement. Violence is not her style after all. But fully knowing what this is about, she could have distracted their enemies, provided shelter and her considerable skills as a healer. Now, though sympathizing with Richard and co., Mathea remains a neutral character.

Ysilla I:

[Try to talk him down]

Well, as you probably expected, talking a crazed and panicking terrorist down ends about as well as you'd think. Ysilla would have failed to talk him down, leading to him blowing himself up with the wildfire, albeit he would have hesitated long enough for her to jump to safety, means she would have escaped unharmed, though the fact that she escaped only barely, paired with the memory of seeing this young man blowing himself up right in front of her eyes would have continued to haunt her, something that would have become notable later on.

Garthon I:

[Leave him to rot]

For the most part, this would have changed little in how Garthon's storyline would have progressed. It was a character choice for him, if he is willing to grant a defeated enemy some respect and dignity. If leaving Tedyn Bullister to rot, he would have did just that and he actually wouldn't have really felt bad about it. Unfortunately, the Sons of the Trident under Deywn still would have found him, though a little bit about the later scene at their camp would have been changed, as Deywn would have been stopped faster.

Jaron I:

[Refuse the handshake]

Of course, not much would have changed by now, other than that the alliance between Jaron and John would have started on a colder note, meaning it is more likely it'll stay purely professional. If the nature of their partnership eventually changes something about the outcome of the story cannot be revealed yet, though it is likely that it eventually will have some degree of influence.

Kyra I:

[Agree to work with Herman]

A choice with drastic consequences and probably one that could have been among the most important of the chapter. This choice would have completely changed Kyra's strategy in the coming chapters. With the choice she eventually made, she effectively decided in favour of her anger and her loyalty, whereas working with this Herman Irons would have meant that Kyra would have been open to further side with Damon's schemes, while also being more careful about getting someone else, such as Gravven, involved.

Edrick I:

[Remain silent]

In this particular turn of events, Edrick would have not told Viveka his name. She... actually would have respected that, because she respects strength and bravery. However, since she hates defiance, she would have beaten him into submission afterwards. Edrick would have remained steadfast, earning more respect and ire, resulting in her just making a name up for him and calling him by that for the remainder of their interactions in the story.

Jenna I:

[Don't tell her about the meeting]

All the possible consequences for Saerya not attending the meeting at the Harking farm cannot even be mentioned here, but surely, they would have been substantial. For now, Saerya would have never gotten into contact with Vali, resulting in her not suspecting him to be any special, whereas he always had his doubts about her, kinda resulting in a reversed Saerya-Sherryl situation and this would have put her at a notable disadvantage. However, she also wouldn't have gotten involved with the rest of the resistance, for the better or worse, therefore unable to bring her own skill to the fight against Mullendore. Potentially, she could have learned about the meeting later on, which, if not invited, would have made her more reluctant to help Jenna out in the future.

Alys I:

[Choose Alisa]

Actually, this choice was supposed to have an effect in this chapter, but plans changed and as you have seen, Alisa actually ended up having the larger role despite Carvin being the assigned bodyguard for Alys. However, it will change something about the next chapter, when Alisa, majorly guarding Edward, might not always be available when Alys runs into trouble at Merman's Rest.

Willfred I:

[Tell Roger about the dream]

Spoiler alert, Roger is not an expert on creepy dreams. However, he is smart enough to realize that this might not be entirely normal and as such, he would have strongly urged Willfred to take this seriously, to seek help if possible. It would have also meant that Willfred would have had someone to trust in when it comes to whatever weird thing is happening with him at the time. Probably not the worst choice in the long run.

Drent I:

[Remain silent]

This choice wouldn't have changed how Argella sees Drent, because she actually never expected any support from him or the others. She would have gone through with confessing her guilt to her father and in a way, she would have felt better about what she perceives as her failure in Raylansfair. However, while she wouldn't have thought worse of Drent, neither would she have thought better, which she now arguably does. She would have still approached him later with the offer to champion for her in the tourney, though less cordial about the matter.

Raenna I:

[Remain standing]

Well, I never honestly expected you to pick this choice, but if you are curious, this wouldn't have been a good option, one that could have potentially put Raenna's entire involvement with the North at risk. See, Torrhen is definitely not a king who puts much value on proper manners, but this would have been a stark mistake on Raenna's part, for the sake of personal vanity and he would have questioned if she is truly the right one for the problems of his kingdom.

Arthur I:

[Change the topic]

Mostly a character building choice, this option would have given Berick less screentime in this chapter, as he eventually had, but perhaps more importantly, it would have been obvious that Arthur still hates to even talk about his father, barely being able to face his stressful family situation. It would have strengthened this aspect of his personality, probably making him a more brooding, reclusive person in general in the very long run.

Ysilla II:

[Politely ask to be let through]

In contrast to the more determined attitude Ysilla sported in the choice that actually won, this would have given her more charming side a chance to shine, even if it would have been notably less efficient. Ysilla would have namely tried to charm Allar into stepping aside, something he wouldn't have reacted much to and she would have, as such, only managed to get through to Absidee after letting the Sandstorm involvement in the city slip. It would have had minor changes to her relationship to Allar and Jen.

Richard II:

[Allow her to take Kersea to the clinic]

One of the most major choices in the entire chapter, particularly for Kersea, who would have gotten a storyline in this chapter, mostly revolving around her time at the clinic. More screentime for Mathea, Rosalie and Malien would have been one consequence, but also potential danger in form of the Sphynx and Connor. Avoiding them while not dying due to her wound would have been Kersea's main goal in this chapter and while the odds of succeeding were heavily in her favour, I would have probably built in additional challenges, maybe resulting in consequences not involving her death, such as the potential of future death among her allies if the Sphynx manages to identify her.

Sadie I:

[Decline Edward's offer]

As you have probably guessed, a lot about Sadie's storyline in these early parts is about recovery, for as much as possible. This was one of the choices and declining Edward's offer to train with him would have been detrimental to this goal. Basically, there are several points Sadie can achieve when it comes to getting through the trauma and depending on how much she will achieve, her storyline will take a different turn. There will be different ways to do it though and different ways with which Sadie can recover (or fail at that, while we're at it). Declining Edward's training would have disappointed him, but would have probably helped Sadie with coming to terms with her not being all that much of a fighter anymore. She would have been more open to options in different fields than just plain combat in the future.

Garthon II:

[Stay silent]

Not taking the risk of trusting in Dacey would have ended up as the worse choice here, by far actually. As you know, everything turned out alright when you called out for Dacey. Not doing that though would have put Hjalgar at serious risk. I mean the kind where he would have died before Edric would have managed to intervene. This would have caused Deywn to actually be punished for it (ten lashes, basically a slap on the wrist), whereas Dacey would have been called out for remaining silent. Deprived of probably his most loyal and valuable ally in the mission to come, Garthon's journey would have also been much darker.

Jaron II:

[Ask the city guard for help]

Actually kind of a big choice, as it would have meant that Jaron wouldn't have met with Ayden again. He would have decided to leave his friend in peace, meaning they wouldn't have had their final farewell. Instead, Farris Flowers would have had a role in this chapter, showing the rather desolate state of the city guard after the departure of Maron Mullendore and Ryder Harrington. He would have agreed to help Jaron out, but in return, he would have asked the opposite of what Joshawa eventually demanded for his help, meaning he would have wanted Jaron to do anything possible to save Ryder's life.

Jenna II:

[Let Saerya do it]

By letting Saerya spend time with Vali, Jenna would have helped both, actually. Thing is, Saerya would have never had the idea that Vali is more than just some apprentice if not for her attending the meeting, or, importantly, spending time with Vali. Her suspicion would have been nothing more than that though, whereas Vali's already present suspicions would have grown stronger to the point where he would have easily deduced her true allegiance during their next meeting.

Ellena II:

[Say Noelle should be killed at once] and [Say Noelle's life should be spared]

Neither option would have changed something about the way the story in this chapter will play out. The decision lies with Aegon, not Ellena and he would have merely listened to her suggestion. He has his doubts about Noelle, but knows he cannot afford to ignore her, so as such, he has made up his mind even before asking Ellena. However, this choice decided how the Targaryen's see her at first. As you have probably noticed, Aegon is somewhere between Rhaenys and Visenya in terms of harshness, being able to act just as hard and determined as Visenya always urges him to be, while also being influenced by Rhaenys' compassion. Visenya would have approved of Ellena's suggestion and her approval is a rare and valuable thing to achieve. Rhaenys meanwhile would have been a bit disturbed by a young girl advocating the execution of a woman and therefore more wary around Ellena. In return, Visenya would have seen Ellena as weak and indecisive for suggesting that Noelle should be spared entirely, a decision Rhaenys would have found herself to be more inclined to though. She wouldn't have necessarily valued Ellena more with this option though, as she herself has some doubts about Noelle, so I'd say this is objectively the worst of the three options.

Kyra II:

[Try to talk Lord Mallister down]

Actually quite an important choice, because unlike what you might expect, Kyra had a chance to talk Arrec down. There would have been another choice for her in this chapter and depending on it, Arrec could have ended up calling the wedding off, or at least trying to. The important factor here would have been to appeal to his pragmatism, not the love for his daughter, but Kyra could have succeeded. The wedding would have been postponed and eventually called off entirely, which would have obviously had consequences for Elaena, but also for Arrec and Harmund. Surprisingly, Harmund would have seriously approved of this choice. Knowing that he is somewhat capable of approving the actions of others, he would have been less harsh towards Kyra, at least a tiny bit. The only one thoroughly displeased by this turn of events would have been Harren himself.

Edrick II:

[Send her away]

The cut Edrick received from Viveka is essentially a minor wound, something he would have eventually cleaned himself, if not as professionally as Sylvi. Mostly, it would have given her less of a role in this chapter and she wouldn't have interacted with Edrick and his group. I really cannot say much about the future consequences of this choice, but Sylvi's involvement in this storyline is going to have some influence, which should become clearer as the story progresses.

Arthur II:

[Go and look for Aditha]

Unlike the other choice, which gave more screentime for Ryler, this one would have meant an appearance for Aditha in this chapter. She would have been shown to deal with the loss of Hackor (and the revelation that he actually truly cared for her in his own way) even worse than Arthur and probably could have needed the company of her brother quite dearly. With the siblings slowly drifting apart, this choice could have prevented this development.

Alys II:

[Introduce yourself as Alys Boleyn]

Alys, oh Alys, this would have been a truly foolish choice. You made a wise decision by not revealing her name, because while Edward actually intended to reveal it, this would have drawn the interest by men she really does not wish to be interested in anything about her. Blacksails himself and Sargasso Saan, the latter of whom actually specializes in human trafficking and extorting ransom money, would have been quite friendly towards her, but always with some sinister motives, something that would have caused major trouble in the near future.

Drent II:

[Punch Garen]

Punching Garen would have meant a full-out brawl between the two, which Drent, due to Garen's injury, would have come out on top. It would have been up to Emphryus to break them up and reprimand both with very harsh words and punishment. However, Garen would have actually been pleased, given he riled Drent up enough to bait him into this. He would have also seen himself as right in either way, that Drent has gotten too arrogant for his position.

Willfred II:

[Agree to have a talk with Ser Kasyn]

This choice would have meant more screentime for Kasyn in this chapter, also granting him potentially important information Willfred has about the dealings in Raylansfair. Interestingly though, it would have made him more likely to trust Petyr, yet not Mullendore, whom Willfred already harbours some suspicions against. As such, future events involving Kasyn would have played out differently than they will now.

Sadie II:

[Stay at the camp]

Again, recovery is the key theme here and staying at the camp would have not necessarily been detrimental to that goal, it would have just brought up different solutions (and ways to fail). Instead of spending the next chapter at Castamere and getting to meet the Reyne family (for the first time in three years out of story!), Sadie would have remained at the camp, resulting in more screentime for Melanie, Wylie, Nilanne, Edward and Blane but also Gyles and Sanyse. Sadie would have personally kept an eye on Melanie, potentially uncovering an important piece of information for the future of her storyline, at the cost of losing some of Leo's trust, who was very pleased by her decision to accompany him to Castamere.

Richard III:

[Don't demand an answer]

There you have the most important choice of the entire chapter, the one that decided about Richard's fate. Alan has always been difficult to deal with, but when pushed as Richard did in the choice that won, he lashes out, so not demanding an answer would have been the only way to avoid the fallout and subsequent betrayal. This would have allowed Richard to survive this chapter. However, Alan eventually would have turned on him regardless out of pure jealousy, though in this case, Richard would have had a chance (by far not a given) to survive the confrontation with Mullendore. For this chapter though, it has been this choice that decided on his fate at the end of this chapter. Basically, he would have allowed Alan to get away with an obvious lie and continuing to leech off his pocket, which would have pleased Alan, while Mathea would have really questioned his sanity for such a move.

Raenna II:

[Decline in favour of rest]

Ah, I am super glad you did not pick this option XD See, I think the alternative is the easiest way to establish the northern cast, which, after all, mostly consists of new characters, who have yet to leave a strong impression. This would have been a missed opportunity for that. Instead however, Raenna would have spent more time with Briar and Brandon, as well as another brief scene with Torrhen Stark as well as Roffe and Dag Umber, where she would have learned about the nature of her mission.

Jenna III:

[Confront Vali]

This choice would have given Jenna another short part, though with actually wide-reaching consequences. Pretty much, confronting Vali would have caused him to deny everything in his usual way, but behind all this, he would have grown wary and more cautious around her, leading to him potentially managing to hide his involvement in all this, spying on the group from afar, with his allegiance being only revealed later on. From there on, things would have proceeded as they will do now, just a bit later, which possibly would have had other consequences for Samantha and the Shield Island cast.

Jaron III:

[Decline to kill Ryder]

Without agreeing to kill Ryder, Jaron wouldn't have gained Joshawa's information and this in return would have been crucial for gaining Samuel's support. Without learning about Ryder's whereabouts, Samuel would have flat out refused to help Jaron out and they would have parted ways for good. Instead, Samuel would have remained in Oldtown for a little longer, eventually learning Ryder's location from Keat, after Joshawa stalled him for a longer time. In frustration, he would have outright murdered Joshawa before leaving Oldtown, making both Harrington brothers a target to Hishi. Jaron meanwhile would have been free of any promise towards Samuel and ended up encountering and potentially even allying with Ryder instead.

Ysilla III:

[Hug him] and [Slap him]

Not much would have changed between the choices, certainly no huge and far reaching consequences, as it was mostly just this, an ultimately harmless interaction between the two siblings. It would have had some minor consequences on how the relationship between them is, leaning more towards loving and caring or belligerent and teasing. Now, you essentially got a mixture of both, which I believe is quite fitting for these two.

Keat I:

[Hand over the backpack]

Certainly the more pleasant option for Keat's ear, as handing over the backpack to Thorrin Bannister would have settled his debt. Bannister would have taken all of it, way more than he is owed, but happy with this development, he would have spared Keat and would have never bothered him again unless Keat would decide to bother with him. Without Bannister threatening him, Keat would likely be more relaxed, but the lack of coin would have caused problems with the other people he is in debt to and let me assure you, some of these are worse than Thorrin, the kind no one in their right mind would ever want to even remotely mess with.

Edrick III:

[Refuse the offer and remain her prisoner]

By not working for Viveka, Edrick would have lost a relatively comfortable way of gaining his freedom, as well as the goodwill of his captor. Viveka would have kept him locked up, treating him no different than any other prisoner and any further offer would be off the table. Instead, she would do as she promised, she'd send word to his family, demanding a ransom and eventually receiving the expected reply that they are unable to meet her demands. There would be other ways to gain his freedom, but they would pit Edrick against Viveka, definitely not a particularly safe thing to do.

Garthon III:

[Refuse the alliance]

An absolutely major choice for Garthon, though perhaps not entirely in the way you think. Without being an ally to the Sons of the Trident, his journey still would have led him to Raventree Hall, where some elements of it would have remained, yet the journey as a whole would have taken a different turn quickly. Edric would have seen himself forced to send Deywn after all, together with Dacey and Gavin and there would have been conflict with Garthon's group, even causing death among them, something that would have only supported the true antagonist of this storyline.

Kyra III:

[Keep it a secret]

In this route, Kyra would have kept Damon's information a secret from Gravven. He would not have bought it, but would have accepted her not sharing this. As a result, Kyra would have confronted the Sons of the Trident on her own, without the considerably talented fighter that is Gravven by her side, yet also without his volatile presence, presenting several different options how this confrontation can go in the next chapter.

Arthur III:

[Ask Malien for help]

No consequences for this chapter, as this has been Arthur's final part in it, but there would have been consequences for the next chapter. As you can imagine, it would have given Malien a larger role, as she would have readily assisted Arthur and Ryler in getting out of the clinic. However, the Sphynx would have gotten suspicious of her, putting her in severe danger, as he has quite a reason to pursue Ryler. This could have possibly ended with her death in a later chapter even, albeit she would have made things easier for Arthur and Ryler.

Samantha I:

[Hold Leonard back]

By holding Leonard back, Samantha would have stopped him from beating Vali up. Jenna would have been very grateful for that and wouldn't have found herself forced to intervene. Equally grateful would have been Vali, who would have been more open to the thought of allying with them, being spared a painful beating. He would have been more friendly with them and also allowed Leonard (but not Saerya) to remain in the room. Leonard himself could have dropped some interesting bits on Chrass Serry, whom he has met before, something that could potentially change how you initially see this man.

Alys III:

[Tell him how you truly think about Edward]

Another downright terrible option, as Alys could have made quite easily. This would have caused Edward to have a considerably harder time winning the captains over and it would have completely cost her his protection in return. Similar to revealing her identity, this would have made her a huge target to the cutthroats at Merman's Rest, albeit with slightly different circumstances and it wouldn't have put her at such a disadvantage. Most importantly, even though Edward would have left Alys to defend herself, Alisa and Carvin would have both secretly disobeyed him and continued to protect her, but they are only two and without the influence of Edward. As such, things could have gotten really bad for Alys next chapter.

Drent III:

[Decline her request]

Yet another important choice and one that would have changed Drent's storyline immensely. Pretty much, he would have severed ties with Argella through this, focussing more on the people around him than the princess. To say she would have felt hurt by this would have been an understatement and she would have cut all contact with him in return, though their paths would have ultimately remained connected. She would have also become a somewhat darker character after what she perceives as quite the betrayal. Drent would have spent the next chapter not as a participant in the tourney, but as a regular soldier, a spectator and guard, having different interactions with the participants. Ironically, the more positive outcome of this option would have seen Garen warming up to Drent again, thinking that his warnings would finally be paid some sort of attention.

Willfred III:

[Plan to murder Maron Mullendore]

As a choice that will have an effect only on the next chapter and not on the one that just ended, I naturally cannot tell you too much about the outcomes of it so far. However, this choice decided on Willfred's strategy in Chapter 2, with both outcomes going to result in a different ending. More details will be revealed in next chapter's What If segment.

Sadie III:

[Tell her to stay away from Melanie]

Unlike Willfred's choice, this one will have even more far-reaching consequences, likely not making any difference in the next chapter, but making quite a huge one later on. As such, you know I cannot tell you much about it yet, but be assured, this will change quite a lot about the way Sadie's storyline will play out.

Raenna III:

[Encourage Harrold to mount the moose]

Now, say it with me, a moose is a wild animal and trying to mount one is a stupid and reckless idea. Harrold would have learned something on that day, namely that as chill as his moose is, it has miles to go before being able to be used as a mount, especially by a drunken and careless man. He would have ended up scaring it, causing it to run off, with himself receiving minor injuries in the process. Nothing too bad, very superficial wounds and nothing he wouldn't shrug off, but it would have been humiliating and probably a bit humbling.

Jaron IV:

[“No”]

In the context of this scene, Jaron would have told Ayden that he has no intentions of actually killing Ryder Harrington and only said it before to gain Samuel's support. This would have been a character choice, something Jaron would have decided for himself in this moment. It won't be the only choice to decide where he stands in this conflict, but it would have been the first big one and this particular option would have made him more reluctant to go through with it. The eventual decision he makes is likely not one he will make out of something you directly choose, but a sum of all of your choices, slowly shaping his character into one way or the other. Everything else would make little sense after all, I doubt it'd be logical to have him reassure Samuel and himself about killing Ryder at all times and then ultimately making the decision not to go through with it, so yeah, when it comes to this part of his storyline, every choice you make until then will be taken into account.

Ysilla IV:

[Leave the decision up to Meria and Absidee]

Here's the thing, one thing I can already reveal: This choice is not up to Meria and Absidee. Sure, we got the ruling princess of Dorne and her spymistress, but neither of them can force Theodan to do something he does not want to do, in this case letting his beloved little sister leave on a dangerous mission while staying with the family he had to leave years ago. We're talking about a man that takes what he wants first and only then thinks of potential consequences. As such, he would have seemingly agreed with their decision to leave him in Godsgrace, only to follow her in secret and catching up with her at a later stage of their journey, albeit somewhat disappointed she did not insist on taking him in the first place.

Edrick IV:

[Say you prefer to ally with the Riverborn]

A choice about strategy we got here. Edrick now decided to honour his agreement with Viveka, essentially becoming her ally in a fashion as genuine as can be. In the other choice, he would have kinda tried to outsmart her, pretending to work with her and enjoying the freedom this offers, but secretly sympathizing with the Riverborn and working with him to gain his freedom.

Garthon IV:

[Take Dacey with you]

The choice of Garthon's ally among the Sons of the Trident is a crucial one, this must be said. As it is now, Garthon will have Gavin by his side, working with him and probably pulling his weight, albeit in a different way than Dacey would have. Both have their positive and negative aspects they can bring to the tasks ahead and I can say, both will have positive and negative consequences that should be further talked about in the future.

Samantha II:

[Take Davith with you]

Davith would have proven to be a valuable ally to Samantha during her time on the Shield Islands. Spoiler alert, not everything will be all fine and dandy and Davith could have been useful there. However, he is surely also going to be useful in Raylansfair, so with this choice, I'd say there is no truly better choice here, just different outcomes which you, depending on your preference, might see as better or worse, but which are objectively largely even in terms of consequences.

Keat II:

[Try to escape]

In short, Keat's attempt to escape from a great shot with a crossbow in a narrow alleyway, while bleeding and being generally disoriented, would have failed catastrophically. He would have been dragged to Hishi, but this time with a crossbow bolt to the leg for his troubles.

Ellena II:

[Tell Rhaenys your story]

For Ellena's relationship with Rhaenys, this wouldn't have changed much, if anything at all. However, the other members at court would have heard her story and this could have pleased some of the more easily worried attendees, such as Visenya, who now is surely at least curious why Ellena will not tell her story openly and what could be so terrible that she decides to hide it.

[Refuse to tell her]

This meanwhile would have been the worse choice. Rhaenys would have been a bit offended by this, given that she made her a very generous offer and meant no harm with her question, though she would have guessed that Ellena is simply not ready to talk about her past, meaning she would have somewhat understood. However, other members at court would have reacted less kindly, among them Visenya, who would have even suspected Ellena to have ill intent towards her sister or her newborn nephew.

• As promised, here is the What If segment for the first chapter of Book 2! The next part is probably going to be out tomorrow. Writing has started, though I will be barely available for most of the day. We'll see, maybe I'll manage to do it tomorrow. The next chapter will start with a familiar face and I am excited, with the hopes that so are you. By the way, if you have not yet reacted to the chapter finale and answered to the questions, don't feel discouraged by the new chapter being about to start, I am always pleased to read about your thoughts :)

What would have happened...

...if Lunett would have survived?

One of the twists with the biggest consequences was clearly Lunett's death in Chapter 4. If she would have survived there, she would have survived Book 1 as a whole. While breaking up with Lucas over the course of the storyline, she would have remained fond of him and his death would have devastated her. As such, she would have actually contributed to the resistance, through her being in contact with Leonard. Though bringing virtually no skill of value to the task, she would have made up for it with determination, helping out wherever an extra set of hands is necessary. As another voice of reason, she would have mostly taken a bit of a mediator role between Saerya and Vali, something that will not exclusively fall to Jenna.

...if Jenna would have died?

You do remember she could have died, right? It was a long time ago and to be absolutely fair, not everything that happens now has been even close to a plan back then. But if Jenna would have died, things would have taken a turn for the far darker. Leonard would have missed his link to Richard and Kersea and his chances of survival would have gotten worse (though keeping him alive would have been by no means impossible) and even if, he would have ended up a lone wolf. In general, this resistance movement wouldn't have happened in the same way. Richard, consumed with grief and hatred, would have remained unconnected to any of the other characters save for Kersea, who would have helped him with hunting down Wolfius and taking vengeance. Seriously, with Jenna being the one that connects Leonard (and Samantha, Sasha and Davith through him), Richard (with Kersea), Saerya and Vali together, her early demise would have changed a lot and this choice will remain important in these segments.

...if Richard would have died?

Similarly to Jenna, Richard could have died before, in Chapter 3 of Book 1 and it would have made a difference, albeit not one as crucial as Jenna's death. Jenna would have still brought the different characters together, including Kersea, whom she would have met in this chapter and there could have been conflict between her and Alan, resulting in his betrayal. However, in this case, there obviously wouldn't have been a Richard around to sacrifice himself to buy them time, neither is Jenna brave enough to do it. Instead, the one up for the task would have been none other than Leonard himself. He wouldn't have died though, instead he would have been captured, with his fate being explored in Chapter 2.

...if Leonard would have never left Raylansfair?

One of the major choices from the early story and truly, it would have had massive consequences by now. Leonard would have never developed this hatred towards Mullendore, nor would he have become a target. Instead, he would have actually settled in at the new court, becoming a knight of House Vyrwel, sworn to Petyr. He would have had suspicions against Mullendore though, which could have potentially been exploited by Jenna to ultimately turn him against his leaders. For the most part, he would have concerned primarily with the good of the city, though if given proof of Mullendore's deeds and maybe even Petyr's involvement in them, he would have proven that at heart, he remains a hero.

...if Ellena would have never left with Noelle?

Well, here's a route I am glad we never get to explore, because I would have had a problem showing Team Targ in this chapter. See, ultimately, Ellena's path would have been connected to Noelle again, though they would have met under different circumstances, possibly as enemies even, with Ellena potentially falling for the lies of the enemy the priestess seeks to destroy. In this chapter, she would have made her way to Oldtown again, encountering a familiar face in Talea, but also meeting an acquaintance of Noelle's enemy, a very dangerous person themselves and one who could have introduced Ellena to a somewhat darker world and life. Consider this character, at least in this particular route that might still partially happen with a different PoV and under different circumstances an even darker version of Noelle. Ellena would have made first contact with this character and impressed them, actually gaining their favour for what it's worth. By the way, the same would have happened if Noelle would have been killed by Raenna.

...if Jaron would have had no reason to journey to Essos?

Last time I did these, I mentioned a possibility for Jaron to never actually get together with Harpy, or possibly breaking things up. This would have taken away his reason to leave Westeros and he would have remained there, essentially experiencing a drastically different storyline. He wouldn't have allied with John, wouldn't have allied with Samuel, he wouldn't have remained in Oldtown even. Instead, his journey would have led him to the Stormlands, his old home, where he would have received a storyline about possibly winning glory at the Storm King's court, essentially becoming our second PoV there. However, he wouldn't have remained there for long, as his alternative route would have eventually seen him getting captured in a skirmish against the Targaryen army, where he could have potentially ended up switching sides and becoming one of the main Targaryen Point of Views.

... if Harren Hoare would have died?

The final one for now and one with far reaching consequences for Garthon and Kyra. Under King Harmund, Kyra would have remained captain of the guard, something she owes Harrick for, who would have been one of the few able to somewhat control his unstable brother. Harmund would have been a terrible king and this would have been seen in her parts, where Kyra would have had to avoid getting into conflict with him. Basically, take her situation, then make it ten times more risky. Of course Harmund would have simply laughed about the marriage proposal, before chasing the Mallisters away. Beyond that, the Sons of the Trident would have tripled their efforts to take down the Ironborn. Garthon would have been considered a hero by them and welcomed with open arms, even by Deywn, who would have become one of his main allies in the things to come, fiercely loyal to the man who helped taking down the tyrant. However, their whole actions would have become increasingly brutal in the attempt to stop Harmund before he would do irreparable damage to the Riverlands.

• What fun! Time to analyze.

Richard I:
    [Tell Leonard not to hide]
    As a result of Leonard not hiding, they would have revealed almost the full truth to Mathea. Though understandably shocked and probably a slight bit overwhelmed at first, she wouldn't have betrayed their trust at all. In fact, Mathea would have proven to be a valuable ally, even if she never would have fully joined this resistance movement. Violence is not her style after all. But fully knowing what this is about, she could have distracted their enemies, provided shelter and her considerable skills as a healer. Now, though sympathizing with Richard and co., Mathea remains a neutral character.

Damnit. DAMnit. Oh well. At least Mathea is not in danger by being associated with them.

Ysilla I:
    [Try to talk him down]
    Well, as you probably expected, talking a crazed and panicking terrorist down ends about as well as you'd think. Ysilla would have failed to talk him down, leading to him blowing himself up with the wildfire, albeit he would have hesitated long enough for her to jump to safety, means she would have escaped unharmed, though the fact that she escaped only barely, paired with the memory of seeing this young man blowing himself up right in front of her eyes would have continued to haunt her, something that would have become notable later on.

Edrick I:
    [Remain silent]
    In this particular turn of events, Edrick would have not told Viveka his name. She... actually would have respected that, because she respects strength and bravery. However, since she hates defiance, she would have beaten him into submission afterwards. Edrick would have remained steadfast, earning more respect and ire, resulting in her just making a name up for him and calling him by that for the remainder of their interactions in the story.

The way you phrase this is absolutely hilarious. "She...actually would have respect that.................she would have beaten him into submission afterwards." To be honest, I kind of wish I saw this beating.

Garthon II:
    [Stay silent]
    Not taking the risk of trusting in Dacey would have ended up as the worse choice here, by far actually. As you know, everything turned out alright when you called out for Dacey. Not doing that though would have put Hjalgar at serious risk. I mean the kind where he would have died before Edric would have managed to intervene. This would have caused Deywn to actually be punished for it (ten lashes, basically a slap on the wrist), whereas Dacey would have been called out for remaining silent. Deprived of probably his most loyal and valuable ally in the mission to come, Garthon's journey would have also been much darker.

Wow, Hjalgar actually could have died. That's rad. He deserves it too, killing the late, great, Clint 'Cleaver' Volmark.

Richard III:
    [Don't demand an answer]
    There you have the most important choice of the entire chapter, the one that decided about Richard's fate. Alan has always been difficult to deal with, but when pushed as Richard did in the choice that won, he lashes out, so not demanding an answer would have been the only way to avoid the fallout and subsequent betrayal. This would have allowed Richard to survive this chapter. However, Alan eventually would have turned on him regardless out of pure jealousy, though in this case, Richard would have had a chance (by far not a given) to survive the confrontation with Mullendore. For this chapter though, it has been this choice that decided on his fate at the end of this chapter. Basically, he would have allowed Alan to get away with an obvious lie and continuing to leech off his pocket, which would have pleased Alan, while Mathea would have really questioned his sanity for such a move.

Well, darn. Knew Alan wouldn't go behind him if it we were chill. Mathea questioning Richard's sanity sounds funning. I am curious to see where/when Alan's eventual betrayal would be.

Keat I:
    [Hand over the backpack]
    Certainly the more pleasant option for Keat's ear, as handing over the backpack to Thorrin Bannister would have settled his debt. Bannister would have taken all of it, way more than he is owed, but happy with this development, he would have spared Keat and would have never bothered him again unless Keat would decide to bother with him. Without Bannister threatening him, Keat would likely be more relaxed, but the lack of coin would have caused problems with the other people he is in debt to and let me assure you, some of these are worse than Thorrin, the kind no one in their right mind would ever want to even remotely mess with.

Hishi....and company. I still wish we did this with ol' Keat. We really made the phrase "lend me your ears" true, and that's not good. I eagerly await the inevitable Thorrin-Keat reunion.

Samantha I:
    [Hold Leonard back]
    By holding Leonard back, Samantha would have stopped him from beating Vali up. Jenna would have been very grateful for that and wouldn't have found herself forced to intervene. Equally grateful would have been Vali, who would have been more open to the thought of allying with them, being spared a painful beating. He would have been more friendly with them and also allowed Leonard (but not Saerya) to remain in the room. Leonard himself could have dropped some interesting bits on Chrass Serry, whom he has met before, something that could potentially change how you initially see this man.

But that wasn't as fun! Roughing up the witness is a good thing. I have a bad feeling about Chrass Serry. We'll see how the choice we made impacts the future here.

Raenna III:
    [Encourage Harrold to mount the moose]
    Now, say it with me, a moose is a wild animal and trying to mount one is a stupid and reckless idea. Harrold would have learned something on that day, namely that as chill as his moose is, it has miles to go before being able to be used as a mount, especially by a drunken and careless man. He would have ended up scaring it, causing it to run off, with himself receiving minor injuries in the process. Nothing too bad, very superficial wounds and nothing he wouldn't shrug off, but it would have been humiliating and probably a bit humbling.

At least the moose didn't run off. I still wished we got to see this though. Maybe next chapter, more moose action.

Keat II:
    [Try to escape]
    In short, Keat's attempt to escape from a great shot with a crossbow in a narrow alleyway, while bleeding and being generally disoriented, would have failed catastrophically. He would have been dragged to Hishi, but this time with a crossbow bolt to the leg for his troubles.

This would have been funny at least. If Thorrin Bannister was paid off, I still assume Keat would have went to Hishi's place, yes? If so, would a choice like this still happen, and would Keat, with all his ears, be able to escape then?

...if Jenna would have died?
    You do remember she could have died, right? It was a long time ago and to be absolutely fair, not everything that happens now has been even close to a plan back then. But if Jenna would have died, things would have taken a turn for the far darker. Leonard would have missed his link to Richard and Kersea and his chances of survival would have gotten worse (though keeping him alive would have been by no means impossible) and even if, he would have ended up a lone wolf. In general, this resistance movement wouldn't have happened in the same way. Richard, consumed with grief and hatred, would have remained unconnected to any of the other characters save for Kersea, who would have helped him with hunting down Wolfius and taking vengeance. Seriously, with Jenna being the one that connects Leonard (and Samantha, Sasha and Davith through him), Richard (with Kersea), Saerya and Vali together, her early demise would have changed a lot and this choice will remain important in these segments.

Lone wolf. Like Wolfius used to be. Can you name some of the presumably terrible ways Leonard could have died for lols? Also, grrr, I am glad that Jenna did not die, but I still having lingering wishes that she did.

...if Richard would have died?
    Similarly to Jenna, Richard could have died before, in Chapter 3 of Book 1 and it would have made a difference, albeit not one as crucial as Jenna's death. Jenna would have still brought the different characters together, including Kersea, whom she would have met in this chapter and there could have been conflict between her and Alan, resulting in his betrayal. However, in this case, there obviously wouldn't have been a Richard around to sacrifice himself to buy them time, neither is Jenna brave enough to do it. Instead, the one up for the task would have been none other than Leonard himself. He wouldn't have died though, instead he would have been captured, with his fate being explored in Chapter 2.

Damn, that would have be rough. I can imagine it be pretty awesome though. I am interested in reading about that fate in the Chapter 2 What if's. Considering a few things, I have a couple of ideas on what that could be.

...if Leonard would have never left Raylansfair?
    One of the major choices from the early story and truly, it would have had massive consequences by now. Leonard would have never developed this hatred towards Mullendore, nor would he have become a target. Instead, he would have actually settled in at the new court, becoming a knight of House Vyrwel, sworn to Petyr. He would have had suspicions against Mullendore though, which could have potentially been exploited by Jenna to ultimately turn him against his leaders. For the most part, he would have concerned primarily with the good of the city, though if given proof of Mullendore's deeds and maybe even Petyr's involvement in them, he would have proven that at heart, he remains a hero.

Hero baby! Atta boy. I wonder how this would impacted the next chapter. Jenna though, convincing him all that, man she would be a tough cookie.

...if Ellena would have never left with Noelle?
    Well, here's a route I am glad we never get to explore, because I would have had a problem showing Team Targ in this chapter. See, ultimately, Ellena's path would have been connected to Noelle again, though they would have met under different circumstances, possibly as enemies even, with Ellena potentially falling for the lies of the enemy the priestess seeks to destroy. In this chapter, she would have made her way to Oldtown again, encountering a familiar face in Talea, but also meeting an acquaintance of Noelle's enemy, a very dangerous person themselves and one who could have introduced Ellena to a somewhat darker world and life. Consider this character, at least in this particular route that might still partially happen with a different PoV and under different circumstances an even darker version of Noelle. Ellena would have made first contact with this character and impressed them, actually gaining their favour for what it's worth. By the way, the same would have happened if Noelle would have been killed by Raenna.

OOooooooo. Acquaintance of the enemy, eh? I have my suspicions of who that might have been. We'll have to wait to see when they finally show up though.

...if Jaron would have had no reason to journey to Essos?
    Last time I did these, I mentioned a possibility for Jaron to never actually get together with Harpy, or possibly breaking things up. This would have taken away his reason to leave Westeros and he would have remained there, essentially experiencing a drastically different storyline. He wouldn't have allied with John, wouldn't have allied with Samuel, he wouldn't have remained in Oldtown even. Instead, his journey would have led him to the Stormlands, his old home, where he would have received a storyline about possibly winning glory at the Storm King's court, essentially becoming our second PoV there. However, he wouldn't have remained there for long, as his alternative route would have eventually seen him getting captured in a skirmish against the Targaryen army, where he could have potentially ended up switching sides and becoming one of the main Targaryen Point of Views.

How fascinating. Now who knows what the hell he's going to get himself mixed up in Essos.

... if Harren Hoare would have died?
    The final one for now and one with far reaching consequences for Garthon and Kyra. Under King Harmund, Kyra would have remained captain of the guard, something she owes Harrick for, who would have been one of the few able to somewhat control his unstable brother. Harmund would have been a terrible king and this would have been seen in her parts, where Kyra would have had to avoid getting into conflict with him. Basically, take her situation, then make it ten times more risky. Of course Harmund would have simply laughed about the marriage proposal, before chasing the Mallisters away. Beyond that, the Sons of the Trident would have tripled their efforts to take down the Ironborn. Garthon would have been considered a hero by them and welcomed with open arms, even by Deywn, who would have become one of his main allies in the things to come, fiercely loyal to the man who helped taking down the tyrant. However, their whole actions would have become increasingly brutal in the attempt to stop Harmund before he would do irreparable damage to the Riverlands.

All hail King Harmund. I wish I saw this king, it'd be great. Chaos everywhere.

As promised, here is the What If segment for the first chapter of Book 2! The next part is probably going to be out tomorrow. Writing has s

• Damnit. DAMnit. Oh well. At least Mathea is not in danger by being associated with them.

Indeed, this option would have also put her at risk. After all, her line of work already means she is closer to some elements of Mullendore's men than others, namely the Sphynx and Connor and the former definitely would have gotten a bit suspicious about her in the long run.

The way you phrase this is absolutely hilarious. "She...actually would have respect that.................she would have beaten him into submission afterwards." To be honest, I kind of wish I saw this beating.

That is kinda Viveka's thing. She's perfectly capable of respecting someong for showing guts, while also growing angry at the lack of respect they show. It would have been a brutal beating even, leaving Edrick with much more serious wounds than just a simple cut.

Well, darn. Knew Alan wouldn't go behind him if it we were chill. Mathea questioning Richard's sanity sounds funning. I am curious to see where/when Alan's eventual betrayal would be.

Depending on future choices, the betrayal could have happened either in Chapter 2 or in Chapter 3, with that last one being inevitable (though Richard's death not necessarily being, even if it has always been notably more likely than the alternative).

This would have been funny at least. If Thorrin Bannister was paid off, I still assume Keat would have went to Hishi's place, yes? If so, would a choice like this still happen, and would Keat, with all his ears, be able to escape then?

If Thorrin would have been paid off, Keat would have still encountered Lanford, yet he would have been much more confident about his ability to get out of this situation. To no avail though, Lanford is quite capable of shooting a target in a narrow alleyway. However, Keat would have kept both of his ears, as Lanford definitely has no interest in removing them.

Lone wolf. Like Wolfius used to be. Can you name some of the presumably terrible ways Leonard could have died for lols? Also, grrr, I am glad that Jenna did not die, but I still having lingering wishes that she did.

Well, most of them revolve around Mullendore and his servants. Among scenes that flashed through my mind would have been a public execution (no trial by combat, after the close outcome of last time, Petyr would have denied him this right) or a duel against the Tom in the streets, which would have ended with the Tom coming out on top. Keep in mind, all of these would have been preventable, some of them pretty easily even, I'm rather confident that some possible deaths would have been extremely unlikely.

Hero baby! Atta boy. I wonder how this would impacted the next chapter. Jenna though, convincing him all that, man she would be a tough cookie.

Aye, it would have required a lot of effort by Jenna, especially as with her never saving his life, he would have never gained the initial reason to even trust her. It wouldn't have happened in the next chapter even, instead it would have been a slow process of gradually convincing him.

What fun! Time to analyze. Richard I: [Tell Leonard not to hide] As a result of Leonard not hiding, they would have revealed alm

• Act I: The Calm Before

Chapter II: Thorns

Jenna

She shouldn't have stayed. Jenna knew this much the moment she walked through the gates of the castle. It wasn't a cold day, yet she was shivering, her hands clenched to the point where her palms ached, the marks of her fingernails pressed into her flesh. Her eyes reddened from crying, she was resisting the urge at this very moment, though she knew it was only a matter of time until it would prove too much again.

She shouldn't have stayed, but whom else could? That's what she had told Leonard when he offered her to come with them, he offered to bring her to a better place. To flee, to run away, to let them win. To let him win. She narrowed her eyes and through a veil of grief, she felt something much darker growing. Jenna did not want to run. She wanted to take from him what he took from her.

The beast... there was nothing he loved in this world, or else she would have destroyed it. No one he cared for but himself and so, this would be what Jenna would do, not today, but someday. She did not want to see him in pain, to make him beg as he'd deserve, even now she could not even bring herself to think about it, for she feared what it'd do to her. But his death, she yearned for it.

More than that though, she yearned for life, for her father's life and the thought itself caused her to tear up, as she bit down heavily onto her lower lip, almost to the point of drawing blood. Anything to help her focus. She couldn't afford...

And then, a memory of her father flashed through her mind and she gave in, just for a moment. Her father, smiling at her the day she told him she got the position at the castle. There was love in his gaze and pride and there were only tears and pain in hers.

No, she had to focus! Whom else could? Leonard and Kersea had to leave, she knew they would return, but they could not stay here. Saerya? Jenna admired her, the confidence, the pride. But she said it herself, she would be willing to spare the one who should never be spared. Jenna liked her, admired her, but how could she trust her with doing what had to be done? Vali? She barely knew him! She barely knew either of them and she only had this one chance. Never would she waste it by trusting the wrong person.

Leonard and Kersea were gone for two days by now. Her father was gone... Clenching her teeth, she tried to avoid the though. They hadn't shown her the corpse. The city guard captain who had spoken to her had refused to tell her how it happened and as such, she had to fill in the blanks herself. Through the muffling veil around her mind, she had understood at least one very important piece of information. They considered her as innocent. Nora had vowed for her... Alan had.

The thought of the wretched traitor was almost worse than of the man that actually did the deed. Fury flared up in Jenna's eyes, as she tried to hide her gaze from anyone that might notice her. They had never done so before and that was her blessing right now, for she knew how she had to look like. But Alan... her father used to call him family, but she would not make the same mistake. She had no family and he was the one at fault for that.

It was him who had taken them all. Her mother, for his greed. Her father, for his jealousy. Her brothers were gone as well and Jenna had mourned them when the letters from the marches stopped coming. And in a way, this was on Alan too, as the mother he had taken from them could have stopped them where a father's love had not been enough.

No, Alan was at fault as much as the murderer. And now, he had won, a fact that made her scream inside her mind with beastly rage. He had not yet claimed the farm she had lived on her entire life, the farm her father had built, but she knew, it was only a matter of time. And as far out of her reach as he was right now, she would not give him the satisfaction of finding her there when he'd come to claim his prize. Unable to return, there was nowhere else she could have gone to.

Forcing herself to breathe calmly, Jenna crossed the courtyard. She had made the attempt to get to her work the day before already, yet the moment she had spotted the castle in the distance, she had to turn around, overwhelmed by just about everything. It wasn't better by now, but she was able to focus, to blend it out, if only for moments at a time.

The moments these thoughts crept back into her mind though, they were the hardest and right now, she had to struggle once more. Her father was gone. In a way, Jenna had barely begun to realize what this meant, aside from the crippling loss. And guilt, oh yes. How many times had he saved her? And now that he would have needed her, she had been unable to do the same for him.

“Jenna?”, a familiar voice called out for her and just for a second, a hint of the former warmth shined through, yet as Jenna's gaze met Carma's, she only saw the bitterness. Would she end the same? Spiteful and broken, because she couldn't save the only person she truly loved in this world? If anything, she could understand Carma a bit better now, though it did not change that she was afraid she'd end up like her former best friend.

She stopped, looking at the other woman out of reddened eyes. “Carma”, she greeted her with a thin, quiet voice, as both stood in the shadow of the large door that led to the Great Hall. For a moment, Carma seemed to hesitate, before she finally pulled herself together, as her expression hardened. “I wasn't sure you'd come today”, she finally said. “Or at all”

Jenna clenched her fists, as she took a deep breath. “Why wouldn't I come?”, she asked, her voice shivering. “Because my father was murdered by one of the men I serve?” Carma sighed. “Listen, I...”, she started, before she paused. “I do not mourn your father. It's no secret how I thought about him” She pressed her lips together. “And yet, he did not deserve his fate”

To these words, Jenna inhaled sharply. “Thank you”, she pressed through her teeth and though she knew Carma meant her no harm, she wasn't making things any easier. “What will be my duties for today?” Carma gulped, as a look of concern appeared on her face. “Jenna, why have you returned?”, she asked flatly.

Jenna met her concern with her feigned apathy. Concerned that Carma would see the grief and rage beneath, she barely dared to look her in the eyes as she answered. “Where else would I go?”, she asked in return. “Alan will come, he'll throw me out and I still need to eat, I still need to sleep” Now, she briefly looked at the other woman, noticing an all too small spark of the kind mother Carma used to be.

“And so you decide to come here”, Carma deduced. “To serve the man that murdered your father” Jenna frowned at this choice of words, though Carma pointed past her, at the Great Hall. “Come with me”, she ordered and obediently, Jenna followed. They crossed the remains of the courtyard, away from any prying eye and into the Great Hall, which, as expected was empty at this time of the day.

“I ask you again”, Jenna stated, her calmness standing in stark contrast to the thoughts that were running wild in her head. “Where else would I go?” Carma narrowed her eyes. “I'm not sure if you're lying to me or to yourself”, she replied. “But I see right through you. You had the world. Literally any other place in it and you chose Raylansfair, you chose the castle, you chose to serve Ser Maron. You chose to come back and it wasn't due to a lack of alternatives”

As she mentioned the name of the beast, tears welled up in Jenna's eyes. “I never wanted the world”, she said and Carma gave her a calm nod, her expression briefly showing the same grief. “I know”, she spoke. “All you yearn for is holding him close once more. Knowing he's there, knowing he's alive and well. You'd trade the world for another moment”

Silently, Jenna nodded and she knew she couldn't utter a single word or else she would break. “You and me, we are the same in these regards”, Carma stated. “And this is why I know why you chose to be here” On shaky legs, Jenna staggered towards one of the benches and Carma sat down next to her.

“With your heart's desire out of reach, you settle for the next best thing. You want vengeance”, she deduced and Jenna tensed up. “How do you...”, she began, though she paused, allowing Carma to reply. “Because it is all I want”, the other woman admitted. “Vengeance on the man that took Urid from me” Helpless anger flared up on her face, hatred twisting her fair features. “Wolfius”, she growled. “There is nothing I would not do to hurt him like he did to me” She narrowed her eyes, as she calmed down. “This is why you are here, isn't it?”

Jenna gulped. “Does it matter?”, she asked, to which Carma sighed. “Of course it does”, she hissed. “Your father is no longer here” This sentence alone stung like a thousand knives and Jenna's palms began to shake. “How often did he save your life? How much of what he did was done for you? Richard kept you save but now he is dead and you have to look out for the live he has given to you. I... fear you're on a path that'd throw it away”

Jenna glared at her by now, her anger momentarily growing stronger than her grief. “Does it matter?”, she repeated and Carma raised her eyebrows. “Of course it does!”, she assured her. “You can't just ruin your life by trying to take his” She sighed, as she put a hand onto Jenna's back. “Jenna...”, she said softly, though impatiently, Jenna shook her off.

“Just shut up!”, she growled. “You're one to talk! You still have your children, you still have a purpose. The man who murdered Urid is on the run, they all want him dead. Meanwhile, they all bow to the man that... that...” She paused, as her voice broke, though she noticed how Carma's expression had gotten colder again.

“I am not your mother, girl”, she told her. “I speak as your friend. At least I hope we still are” She grabbed her by the shoulders and this time, Jenna was too weak to shake her off. “You're hurt, you're angry, perhaps you're broken even, or close to break. But you have never been a killer. What you are trying to do is madness and if you think I stand by and let you do it, you are sorely mistaken!”

Grunting in anger, Jenna jumped up. “Just stay out of this!”, she barked and her glare, though shot at Carma, was not directed at her. “Deal with your own problems before tackling mine” She knew at once that she shouldn't have said that. Carma slowly rose from the bench, pain now visible on her face, the same bitterness that darkened Jenna's heart.

“Seven protect you, girl”, she told her. “I'm not here to stop you and if you don't want to, I won't care” She shook her head. “But whatever you wish to do, it won't bring back your father. Be a fool at your peril, but if you continue down that path, you'll remain alone for the rest of your life”

With these words, she turned around and Jenna, eyes wide, stared after her, pressing a clenched fist against her chest, as she slowly sank back onto the bench. Tears streaming down her face, she was unable to stop them. Carma's words had hit heavily, tearing down already fragile walls, unleashing a rampage of pain and rage inside her. Burying her head in her arms, Jenna Harking fully gave in to the grief.

There was no thought she had, not a clear one at least as she sat there, alone in the Great Hall. Why had she returned? No one else could, she thought, no one else could do what? What was it she actually could do without her father? Taking revenge? This goal, it seemed as far as she felt alone. Killing Alan, killing the monster, in her mind she murdered them a thousand times over, stabbed them, sliced them, strangled and burned them, smashed their bones and stripped their flesh. In her mind, she made them scream. In her mind, she feared nothing but herself.

But outside her mind, there was a lot to fear and just as she managed to control the sobbing, she heard something that made her blood chill. Footsteps, the loud footsteps of people who were not used to muffle their steps. Two, one of them speaking, the other one laughing. And it was this sound of laughter that caused her to gasp, because she recognized the fiend by his voice alone.

She could not face him, not now! What was she thinking, gods, what was she thinking? She was not ready, was she ever? Jumping up, she listened to their footsteps coming closer and she knew, she had to leave, or else she was not sure what she would try to do.

Jenna shivered and not for the first time this day, she was nearly crying, yet again. Just barely pulling herself together this time, she hurried through the hall, approaching the door in front of her. Fear, yes, she was afraid. Mostly of herself, to be honest. The anger she felt when spotting the beast, the murderer. The sorrow, the grief. How could she face what was lying ahead? What else was she, but her father's shadow, his ghost? What else indeed...

“You there, girl”, a voice sounded and Jenna froze in terror. With shaking fists, almost drawing blood by now, she remained solid, facing the door, as she heard the footsteps behind her. “Girl?”, the voice asked again. “Did you hear me? Is everything alright?”

Slowly, Jenna turned around and she took a sharp gasp as she spotted Maron Mullendore. The brute was looking smug, though no arrogance in the world could hide his weakened body. Limping and still requiring a cane, he hid one eye beneath an eyepatch and he had the pale complexion of one that had been sick not long ago. Noticing her distraught expression in an instant, he raised an eyebrow.

The other one was less terrifying to her, but considering the circumstances, this did not mean much. Lord Vyrwel was dressed elegantly, even for his standards, wearing a dark attire adorned with silver and a bright, red cloak. His hair was freshly cut, putting emphasis onto his handsome face and the look on his face was inscrutable.

“Cry somewhere else, girl”, Mullendore growled and Jenna's eyes widened, as she stared just at him. He narrowed his single eye, as he tilted his head. “Have we met before?”, he asked, at which point Lord Vyrwel put a hand onto his shoulder. “Maron, do me a favour”, he spoke, calmly and softly. “Take Hugo and ten good men on horseback. Ride to meet out guests and then lead them to the castle”

Mullendore averted his gaze from Jenna and she used the opportunity to shoot him a hateful glare for a moment, a much needed relief from the stress that holding herself together took upon her. He hesitated for a second, before putting an open palm onto his chest, just above the heart. “Of course, mylord”, he gave in, briefly looking at Jenna, who shivered under his terrifying stare and as he walked her way, she almost jumped out of the path, making room for him to approach the door.

Lord Vyrwel remained though and so did she, staring at him and trying to hide her fear. “You were crying”, the lord stated and she nodded. His face, previously stern, softened up a bit and while it did wonders in making him seem less threatening, Jenna could not help but be terrified of him.

“Ah, excuse my manners”, the lord said politely. “Sit down, girl” He pointed at the bench next to her and Jenna did as she was ordered, knowing better than to not follow his wish. To her surprise though, Lord Vyrwel sat down next to her and she tensed up.

“Would you like to tell me what happened?”, he asked and it dawned upon her that he had no idea whom she was. She felt a lump in her throat, as she weakly shook her head. “I don't know if I can talk about it, m'lord”, she managed to utter, her voice a tear-stained whisper.

Lord Vyrwel gave her a nod. “It must have been terrible then. My apologies for what happened to you”, he assured her and his voice sounded genuine to her. “But I want you to know, if this has anything to do with something one of my men did, you can tell me” He extended a hand and she cowered away from it, causing him to pause. “I noticed how you looked at Maron just now. What did he do?”

Jenna took a deep breath and she knew, thinking about all the things she'd like to do to them was one thing, but being here in the presence of this lord, it made her realize how tiny her chances of going through with them actually were. After all, she could barely open her mouth in his presence. “He... he...”, she began, stuttering, as she tried to say the following. Finally, she mouthed him the word 'murder'.

Lord Vyrwel's eyes widened, a moment in which he revealed curiosity and the hint of concern below. “I have seen you around before, though I never quite caught your name. What is it?”, he finally asked and Jenna pressed her lips together. “Je... Jenna”, she stuttered, to which Lord Vyrwel frowned, for a moment at least, before a calm, understanding smile appeared on his face. “Petyr”, he spoke.

“I... I know”, Jenna mumbled, instantly blushing in shame as she realized how stupid that must have sounded. To her surprise, Lord Vyrwel, or Petyr, or whatever he wanted to be called, chuckled. “I would have been surprised if not”, he revealed, before a stern expression formed on his face. “It is Jenna Harking, is it not?”

To this, she nodded and he raised an eyebrow. “That explains the tears”, he spoke. “Jenna, before we continue this talk, let me offer my condolences for your loss” He raised a hand, though as she tensed up, he lowered it again instead of putting it onto her shoulder. “This was not what I wanted and I assure you, Maron acted without my consent”

His apology, it meant nothing to her and if anything, it only brought up more of the pain. And she was not sure what would be worse, him lying to her face, or him actually telling the truth about this. After catching a glimpse of the beast that was Maron Mullendore, she was almost willing to believe him.

“What did you want then?”, she asked, only then noticing how frank her question had been. “M'lord”, she was quick to add. Petyr sighed. “A direct question”, he mumbled. “And not one that is easy to answer. There are many things I want, yet your father's death has not been among them. You must understand, though he is my ally and confidante, Maron has a mind of his own and sometimes, there is something wicked in it”

Jenna avoided his calm gaze, though she found herself calming indeed, as fury made way for fear. Her heart was beating wildly and she tried her best not to give in to the reflex and run away. “I am surprised you returned to the castle”, Petyr admitted and she nodded. “I have nowhere else to go”, she spoke. “My uncle has been given the farm” There was pure venom in her words, a bitterness she could not hide.

“Ah yes, your uncle”, Petyr said, as he sighed. “Maron's decision, a reward for valuable information as he called it. I understand your choice though. This cannot be easy, but I want you to know that as long as you do your duties, there will always be a place for you by my court. I'm not the type to turn you away in your time of need”

“Thank... thank you, m'lord”, Jenna stuttered and Petyr put a hand onto her back. This time, though instantly tensing up in growing panic, Jenna allowed it. “I understand your tears”, he told her. “My own father died not long ago and still I mourn him. Today however is not a day for tears, because I expect important guests from the neighbouring lands”

Jenna bit down onto her lower lip, remembering that Saerya had mentioned something like this. It had been two days ago and yet, it felt like a lifetime. “I am sorry, m'lord”, she mumbled and Petyr sighed. “That is not what I meant”, he assured her and to her surprise, he did not sound impatient. “I will not stand in the way of you and your grief, only a monster would do so. I still need you fit for your duties though”

“You can count on me, m'lord”, Jenna promised, staring at the ground below her feet, trying to ignore the warm hand on her back. “Good”, Petyr simply replied, before he gave her a curious look. “Captain Nora vowed for you, she praised you highly and I must admit, this is making me curious. There is one thing you might do for me”

As he said this, she looked at him and to her surprise, she spotted a hint of sympathy in his green eyes. “I want to hear what happened”, he told her. “If you find the strength to tell me, that is. I want to hear your version, not Maron's, so that I might get to the full truth behind the events that led up to your father's death”

His smile returned. “Could you do that for me?”, he asked and after hesitating for a few seconds, Jenna nodded, though her eyes betrayed how she felt. Petyr's hand moved away from her back, as the smile faded. “You are afraid”, he deduced and to this, she gave him a nod. He raised an eyebrow. “Of me?”, he asked.

[Nod] [Shake your head]

• [Shake your head]
    I suppose that it is the best choice to not leave a bad impression to the lord

RT:
    1) In the first part of this chapter Jenna..remain at Raylainsfair (something that I won't complain since you explain the reasons of this choice and how it is possible for Jenna to still work at the castle very well)
    2) I really like read Jenna thoughts in this part!
    3) Maybe I'm the only one but this part make me remember the very first part that Jenna had as a PoV (expecially the conversation with Carma)!
    4) It seems that Petyr pretenders have reach Raylainsfair,after so much publicity by a certain reader I hope that they (and their family) will be really interesting characters
    5) Btw I really love all the interaction that Jenna has in this part and expecially the one with Lord Petyr!Probably because he is a villain that is not just "evil" but has some sympathetic qualities
    6) It is funny that Jenna has found two person to hate even more than Wolfius

BQD
    Lord Petyr Vyrwell
    I will not stand in the way of you and your grief, only a monster would do so.

Act I: The Calm Before Chapter II: Thorns Jenna She shouldn't have stayed. Jenna knew this much the moment she walked through the g

• [Shake your head]

Act I: The Calm Before Chapter II: Thorns Jenna She shouldn't have stayed. Jenna knew this much the moment she walked through the g

• [Nod] I choose this option because I think it would be best if Petyr saw Jenna as just a fearful and timid girl, perhaps underestimating her as a consequence.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this part, a great way to begin Chapter 2! Richard's death has certainly pushed Jenna's character development forward, and while I am intrigued and excited to see where her storyline will go, I am also extremely concerned for her. Maron has no problem killing innocent girls if he sees it necessary, we know that, and while Petyr appears more affable, he is almost as ruthless as his one-eyed friend. Carma is right, Jenna should've just left, but I won't complain because this gives more screentime for our lovely duo of villains :D And I'm guessing the Selwyn's have arrived now, that should be interesting.

• 1) In the first part of this chapter Jenna..remain at Raylainsfair (something that I won't complain since you explain the reasons of this choice and how it is possible for Jenna to still work at the castle very well)

Indeed, Jenna remains at Raylansfair and I never had any other plans for her whereabouts. I can definitely see why some of you got the impression I plan for her to leave Raylansfair though, it would have made sense. However, from a narrative standpoint, Jenna has been a major character in the Raylansfair storyline. So have Kersea and Leonard, but unlike her, their potential for storytelling is limited if they remain in Raylansfair. After all, what can they do right now aside from sitting in some farmhouse or getting caught? Jenna meanwhile has a lot of unexplored potential in Raylansfair, so she won't leave anytime soon. Add to that the in-story reasons, which are honestly even more important, as Jenna in her current state of mind is not willing to leave before avenging her father.

2) I really like read Jenna thoughts in this part!

Ah, glad to hear it! That was something I wanted to put emphasis on, especially as I chose not to show Jenna's initial reaction to her father's death right in the aftermath. This is by far and above the most important event that happened in her life and as such, it will shape her thoughts and actions, something I hope I have sufficiently shown with her thoughts in this part.

3) Maybe I'm the only one but this part make me remember the very first part that Jenna had as a PoV (expecially the conversation with Carma)!

Hehe, it wasn't precisely on my mind while writing, but I see why you remember it. It's a bit of a darker mirror of their earlier conversation and since then, both have drastically changed. Compare the old Jenna, timid but gentle and ultimately innocent to her right now, conflicted, actually hateful with legitimate reasons to be afraid of legitimate threats. She has grown, I'd say, but on the way she definitely lost some of the innocence she had in the early chapters. Carma meanwhile is barely recognizable after losing Urid. Considering how she used to be, she deserved this the least out of any character and at this point, their friendship is also effectively over.

4) It seems that Petyr pretenders have reach Raylainsfair,after so much publicity by a certain reader I hope that they (and their family) will be really interesting characters

Oh, I certainly hope they will be interesting! They have been invited and are expected to arrive soon, which is why Maron was sent ahead to meet them. Definitely a cast of very colourful characters, with a couple of interesting secrets I look forward to explore. Since they are quite a number of new characters and I never shine at introducing several characters at once, I cannot promise they will all catch your interest right away, but I believe they should do so in proper time.

5) Btw I really love all the interaction that Jenna has in this part and expecially the one with Lord Petyr!Probably because he is a villain that is not just "evil" but has some sympathetic qualities

You remember when I said that Petyr should soon get the screentime he deserves, right? Well, I can confirm we are going to explore his character a lot deeper than what you know so far in Jenna's parts. As the PoV at the court of Raylansfair, she'll be put into some unique situations in which some new aspects to Petyr's character will be shown. To be honest, while I believe some villains simply must be hated by the readers (see Wolfius, being hated is kinda his thing), I always aim to show some villains with sympathetic, humanizing traits and arguably, my main goal is to have them outnumber the complete monsters by far (which is not all that easy considering that a number of submitted villains are, in fact, complete monsters). Petyr is the best example of this, he's definitely a major antagonist, a man who murdered his father and is responsible for the death of his brother, but that doesn't mean he has to be an asshole, he can be genuinely pleasant, he loves his daughter, he is capable of showing sympathy towards Jenna and I am relatively sure, if I'd write the story from his perspective, it'd even be possible to twist it to the point where he actually appears as the good guy. The protagonist at least and not exactly evil.

6) It is funny that Jenna has found two person to hate even more than Wolfius

Yeah, at this point Wolfius barely matters to her anymore and it is save to say she's over the trauma she suffered at his hands. For that, she can thank Dr. Maron and his fairly unique therapy approach. Do you notice how misunderstood that poor man is? Seriously though, she never truly hated Wolfius. She was scared, wounded, but barely knew him at the same time, so she at most hated some image of him. She knows Alan and she knows Maron at least a lot better than Wolfius, so they are the ones she can truly and wholeheartedly hate.

BQD
    Lord Petyr Vyrwell
    I will not stand in the way of you and your grief, only a monster would do so.

Kinda shows Petyr's character here. There is the chance that he was not being entirely genuine while saying that, but what would he gain from messing with a grieving servant? So, it is likely he actually sympathized with her right there, especially as he knows loss (and we're not talking about the ones he is responsible for).

[Shake your head] I suppose that it is the best choice to not leave a bad impression to the lord RT: 1) In the first part of this chapt

• Anyway, I really enjoyed this part, a great way to begin Chapter 2! Richard's death has certainly pushed Jenna's character development forward, and while I am intrigued and excited to see where her storyline will go, I am also extremely concerned for her. Maron has no problem killing innocent girls if he sees it necessary, we know that, and while Petyr appears more affable, he is almost as ruthless as his one-eyed friend. Carma is right, Jenna should've just left, but I won't complain because this gives more screentime for our lovely duo of villains :D And I'm guessing the Selwyn's have arrived now, that should be interesting.

You are right there, it is extremely dangerous for Jenna to remain. Maron has no problems with just killing Jenna if given a reason, whereas Petyr, while being a bit less willing to kill random citizens (and technically, he is Jenna's lord as well), is definitely not above murder either. This opens up a lot of interesting possibilities, but also for danger and death. Carma had a point, but as you said, her leaving would kinda mean that the only PoV in Raylansfair who could reasonably interact with Maron and Petyr would be Arthur and he will have his own share of problems to deal with =)

[Nod] I choose this option because I think it would be best if Petyr saw Jenna as just a fearful and timid girl, perhaps underestimating her

• [Nod]

I think Petyr would easily see through Jenna's attempt at lying since she doesn't have her shit together yet. Besides, it's not weird for servants to be afraid of their Lords right? So it's not like a major offense or anything.

• [Shake your head] By saying we are afraid it will become more obvious that Jenna was indeed involved with Richard's actions.

It's obvious he's trying to manipulate stupid Jenna for information, but I also believe Petyr is attempting to sexually take advantage of her because of her grief. This guy already had a bastard, and Jenna is apparently somewhat attractive. I do not trust his intentions whatsoever.

“Thank... thank you, m'lord”, Jenna stuttered and Petyr put a hand onto her back. This time, though instantly tensing up in growing panic, Jenna allowed it. “I understand your tears”, he told her. “My own father died not long ago and still I mourn him. Today however is not a day for tears, because I expect important guests from the neighbouring lands”

I think tears of laughter when we see one of the guests, eh? And the only tears I'll have is for the unlucky girl who has to marry this lying dick.

• I think Petyr would easily see through Jenna's attempt at lying since she doesn't have her shit together yet. Besides, it's not weird for servants to be afraid of their Lords right? So it's not like a major offense or anything.

Depending on the lord, it is definitely nothing unusual for a servant to be afraid of them. Just imagine how Roose Bolton's servants must feel. At least though, being afraid of someone has never been a punishable offense and those cruel enough to punish such trivialities have always been the ones to actually be flattered by fear. So, it would mostly be a personal choice, if Jenna admits to her fear right into Petyr's face, or if she puts on a brave facade. If he catches her lying, well, it remains to be seen how he'd react, but how exactly does one regret when learning that someone else is afraid of them to begin with? Might be as awkward for him as it is for her.

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Nod] I think Petyr would easily see through Jenna's attempt at lying since she doesn't have her shit together yet. Besides, it's not weird for servants to be afraid of their Lords right? So it's not like a major offense or anything.

• It's obvious he's trying to manipulate stupid Jenna for information, but I also believe Petyr is attempting to sexually take advantage of her because of her grief. This guy already had a bastard, and Jenna is apparently somewhat attractive. I do not trust his intentions whatsoever.

He might indeed try to manipulate her, manipulating others is Petyr's main way of gaining information. Where Maron uses torture, he is more subtle and occasionally more effective as well (just imagine if Maron would have manipulated Lucas and Leonard instead of trying to break them through torture, the results could have been chilling). If this is truly his intention is not entirely clear, but well, it is in the realms of possible, as Jenna is probably going to realize eventually. As for him trying to take advantage of her in a sexual way, this is equally an option that would not be unthinkable with what you know about Petyr. It should be said, Edith's mother has been a servant girl at Darkdell and Jenna, while probably not the prettiest around (particularly when overshadowed by the likes of Saerya or Carma), is conventionally attractive and particularly vulnerable at the time, something a man such as Petyr could be drawn to. Nothing of this is confirmed, but it is all in the realms of possible with him, as is him just genuinely expressing his condolences. You'll probably get to know him a lot better over the course of the coming chapters, I plan to flesh him out a lot more thoroughly.

I think tears of laughter when we see one of the guests, eh? And the only tears I'll have is for the unlucky girl who has to marry this lying dick.

Tears, probably not. You are right though, a marriage is on Petyr's mind and he has sent for several noble lords to present their daughters. The neighbouring lords will be the first to arrive, but more are confirmed to come eventually.

[Shake your head] By saying we are afraid it will become more obvious that Jenna was indeed involved with Richard's actions. It's obvious

• [Shake your head] Huh, so Vyrwel still has a semblance of consciousness eh. This could be a good chance to earn his trust, make him believe she doesn't know what other things he has done.

• [Nod]

• The Voting is closed!

Jenna is going to shake her head

First of all, apologies for not closing the voting yesterday. As you may noticed, we had a tie. Paired with this being far from the most active voting (actually quite the opposite), I was hoping for more votes in order to break the tie. This did not happen and I think I waited enough, especially as the part will be ready shortly. As such, I simply count the first vote twice, in the hopes that those absent will manage to return next time. This choice was not all that crucial, which is why I am fine with breaking the tie myself, but it will lay the groundwork for how Petyr sees Jenna and this in turn can end up quite important in the future.

And the next part shall be out today. I took my time with it, mostly because I was quite a bit busy, mostly with renovating the house and in my free time discovering the marvel that is Overwatch, which, seriously, is better than I ever thought. However, I also wrote, if at a slightly slower pace than usual while I was holding out for more votes to break the tie and as a result, I am very confident I will be able to finish the part soon today, in a couple hours at most. This next part will lead us back to Harrenhal and to Kyra's storyline. Last time we saw her was when Arrec and Elaena Mallister arrived at the castle, where the lord wanted to arrange a betrothal between his daughter and Harmund. Not even Harmund was thrilled by this and for once, he actually sided with Harrick, who adviced against it. However, Harren was quite happy with the offer, which included the port of Seagard to pass to House Hoare after Arrec's death, given that Elaena is his only child and heiress. As such, he accepted and the next part will be set a little bit later, during the actual wedding ceremony. As I said, the part is almost ready and will only need a bit more polishing, so I'll get it done in 2-3 hours, I think.

• Kyra

It was a common belief that a wedding was supposed to be a joyful occasion. However, from Kyra's experience, it was more often than not the opposite and the wedding of Harmund Hoare and Elaena Mallister was no difference. A bride crying on her wedding night was nothing unusual, though even she had to admit, Elaena had more reason than any other she had ever known.

Harrenhal had no sept, yet perhaps out of a strange and misplaced sense of respect for his new daughter-in-law, Harren had surprised even Kyra by somehow acquiring a Septon, a thin man with greying hair and a voice she considered to be infuriatingly soft. One of the smaller halls had been converted into a makeshift sept for the day, a farce considering that two thirds of the attendees followed a different faith.

That being said, the thralls had done admirable work. If not for the husband, any Greenlander lady could consider herself lucky to receive such a lavish wedding. The walls decorated with tapestries, equally representing the sigils of House Hoare and Mallister, while two white hangings, adorned by the golden star of the Greenlander Faith framed the large window which made up the far end of the hall. Through the light of the setting sun, the scenery was haunting.

Kyra had positioned herself close to the king, at one of three ways one could access the small podium the ceremony was supposed to take place. The husband's family was located on the right side of it, the bride's was supposed to be on the left, yet only Elaena's father was attending and his role was a different one.

Their side was closer to the small side door that led out into the courtyard, so Kyra had assigned Gravven to it. Of course the door was locked, but on the unlikely chance that anything unexpected would happen, she felt safe knowing that the most reliable man was there. Always a hand on Red Rain, he would never be caught by surprise.

She herself was keeping a hand on the blade of her axe. Smaller than a usual double-handed weapon, a man such as Gravven would probably use two of them, one in each hand. Alas, Kyra was shorter than those she commanded and felt comfortable using both hands instead. Carefully eyeing the hall, she smirked as she noticed the crossbowmen on the balconies. There were five on each side of the hall, reserved for guests of honour, though Kyra had dared to place two of her men, armed with crossbows, together with the higher lords. It was against the usual protocol, sure, but tasked with the safety of the king above all others, she made the protocol tonight.

And indeed, most seemed fine with it. Half of the garrison was up in arms tonight, guarding the walls, tripling the usual number at the gates, with severe controls for anyone who wanted to get in or out. The makeshift sept itself was guarded by half a hundred, a dozen alone with crossbows, the rest with sword or axe.

Kyra's gaze fell upon Reymand Orkwood, probably one of the few who seemed offended by having to share his balcony with two of her men, even if there was barely anything noble about him to begin with. Almost a dwarf, he was barely tall enough to look over the railing into the hall below. His wife, Ribel, was a good head taller than him, outshining him in any other possible way as well, her golden blonde hair contrasting his dirty white, her fair features his crooked face. Kyra remembered the Orkwood girl's marriage and up until now, she had considered it the least happy wedding ceremony she had ever witnessed, even worse than some of the funerals she had attended. At least Reymand was too cowardly to be cruel, even towards his wife. Harmund, well, he was of a different kind.

She had to admit though, the Hoare's were quite something to look at, an image of the Iron Kings in all of their glory. Black of hair, their dresses matched with it and aside from Harren, who hadn't gotten out of his thick armour, their clothes were made of fine silk. It seemed out of place on someone as Harndon, whose deranged grin contrasted the more solemn expressions of his family, but Harrick looked downright stunning.

Harlan meanwhile had gotten out of his rooms for one of the first times since nearly dying during Torvin's attempt on his father's life. Always a bit on the portly side, the tedious recovery process had left its mark and he had gotten thinner, something that gave him a shocking similarity to his youngest brother.

And Harmund... in all of the wedding ceremonies she had been to until now, the good and the bad, at least the husband had the courtesy or common sense to look happy. After all, they usually had a say in whom they'd choose, more than the bride at least and even an unwanted marriage could be sweetened by a pretty face and a comely shape. While Elaena might grow into a beauty one day, Harmund was understandably unhappy and his frown was proof enough how massively he had to be forced. Earlier this week, Harrick had outright told her that among the things his brother had been threatened with was getting disowned if he wouldn't comply and they both agreed that it was a shame he gave in after that. Though nobody could force him to hide his disdain for his child bride, for her family, her customs and all of the Greenlander culture.

The doors to the hall got pushed open and Kyra relaxed a bit as she noticed the Mallister entourage. As expected, Elaena was visibly sobbing even beneath the hooded cloak she was wearing. Arm in arm with her father, it was the most miserable procession she ever had the questionable honour of witnessing. Half a dozen dour-faced handmaidens, young girls in Elaena's age or just a bit older, now all stranded in this castle thanks to her father's schemes. Only Arrec was smiling and his smile was almost enough for the rest of them combined.

As the bride walked closer, led by her father, or perhaps forced, Harren gave Harmund an unsubtle nudge into the ribs. The crown prince narrowed his eyes, before reluctantly taking a step forward. He held a cloak in his hands, almost awkwardly, as Elaena stopped right next to him. Arrec removed her veil and the girl looked terrified. Kyra knew this expression, she had seen it in the eyes of dying men, on the shores she had raided.

“As it is custom, you may now cloak the bride”, the Septon began softly and Harmund growled something. Elaena shivered, looking for her father, who had taken a step back. Suddenly, she was there all alone, up with the worst of Harren's sons, though she held it together, somehow. Harmund, a look of annoyance on his face, spread the cloak and draped it around her, not gently as a husband should, but with the expression of having to do some sort of chore.

The Septon was, wisely enough, not a chatty one, which was probably what kept him alive in this moment. He simply gave Harmund a nod, before smiling at Elaena. The girl did not reciprocate, as Harmund raised an eyebrow. “What now?”, he asked. “I put clothes on her, are we married now?”

“Usually, it is custom that the vows are said”, the Septon told him and Harmund sneered. “Your customs”, he remarked, before he glared at Elaena. “You want to say words, girl?” Elaena hesitated for a moment, before she nodded. “Father...”, she began, her hands twitching, as she briefly glanced at Arrec. “Smith, Warrior...”, she continued, her voice meek and cracking. Yet she barely paused. “Mother, Maiden, Crone...” Now, she made a short, notable pause, taking a deep sigh. “Stranger”, she added. “I am... I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days” The words, while not customary on the Iron Islands, had something warm to them when spoken by both, though with only Elaena saying her vows, her voice shivering, way too young and thin in this large, silent hall, it was pitiable.

The girl looked at Harmund, who rolled his eyes. “Anything else?”, he asked, not even trying to hide the annoyance in his voice, as he glared at the Septon. “Usually, there is supposed to be a kiss between the newlyweds, then I say a speech and...”, he began, though Harmund cut him off. “I think we can speed it up a little bit”, he snarled. The Septon took a deep breath, exchanging a look with Harren, who nodded subtly. “I... I think it is done”, he finally gasped. Harmund sighed, before he raised his hand. The Septon nearly took a step back, though ultimately held his ground as Harmund merely patted him on the shoulder. “You can piss yourself now, Greenlander”

Kyra was almost certain the Septon would do just that once finally over with this, though Harmund now glanced at his father. “What now?”, he asked. “You said something about a feast?” This caused actual shouts of agreement from the Ironborn side of the crowd, as Harmund completely ignored his new bride. As Kyra assumed, this was the best Elaena could hope for in the current situation.

“A feast, aye!”, Harren proclaimed and the cheering got louder. Kyra flashed a grin, as Gravven outright chimed in. “A feast we shall have, my friends!”, the king roared. “This shall be a day for celebration! Two houses became one, a bright future awaits!” For his standards, this was a downright cheerful speech and it was met with excitement. To be fair, the crowd was easy to please and the thought of a free meal and ale did wonders with most who had previously looked bored.

As the king clapped into his hands, the room began to raise from their seats. Elaena sighed, as she quickly rushed over to her father. He embraced her into a hug, kissing the side of his head, smiling with a misplaced pride. Harmund walked down first, still a slight frown on his face. The king followed, Harlan limping next to him. Harrick had an arm around Harndon, who was grinning widely and slightly twitching. As they passed, the young prince glanced at Kyra and she smiled thinly. Then, she followed, shortly behind Arrec Mallister and Elaena Hoare.

Gravven quickly caught up to her and she gave him a firm nod. “So far, it goes about as well as I expected”, she remarked, to which he shrugged. “Well, I'm mostly here for the feast”, he explained. “Though I've been to worse weddings” Kyra raised an eyebrow at that remark. “Sounds like a story you've got to tell me one day”, she spoke. Gravven grinned. “Eh, the evening's not over”, he replied. “Who knows, this could still take a turn for the worse”

As Kyra had settled in the Hall of the Hundred Hearths, she had to admit that this was unlikely though. The small Riverlander entourage was mostly keeping for themselves, with the exception of Arrec, who was seated at the table of honour with the royal family. This hall was even better guarded than the smaller one they had turned into a makeshift sept and two hundred soldiers were up in arms, some of them even openly patrolling through the room itself, on Kyra's orders focussing on Arrec's retainers in particular. With her job as good as done, she allowed herself to relax as well, as she glanced through the room, enjoying the warmth of the burning fires, the smells of roasted meat and cold ale and the laughter of a thousand celebrating Ironborn.

Harmund and Elaena sat side by side, though the prince did not deign to look at her. Instead, he was chatting with his father, the ale he constantly downed doing wonders on his mood. Harren was barely drinking though, as Kyra noticed. Harrick's seat was empty and she narrowed her eyes.

What thought she had was lost when Gravven roared with joy a few feet away from her. Holding a tiny axe, he grinned widely at Velmont Redloon, who had gotten pale. “You want to repeat that, Redloon?”, he asked and the Riverlander turncoat shook his head. “Oh, come on! Say it again, they all want to hear it!”, Gravven urged him and Velmont sighed. “I... said I can take you in the Finger Dance any time”, he admitted to which Kyra had to smirk.

“Show him how it's done, Gravven!”, she urged him and he saluted in turn, the blade of the small axe touching his forehead. “I was hoping you'd say that, captain”, he replied and as Velmont tried to retreat, Quellon Codd and Dagon Saltcliffe grabbed his shoulders, pushing him into the space they had hastily cleared out for the two men.

Elsewhere, Alerah Blacktyde was closely dancing with Whalen Wynch and Kyra raised an eyebrow at the match, given that Lord Wynch was over twenty years her senior and, scarred and greying, anything but a looker. She chuckled as she realized that looks were secondary when he himself was unmarried and his lands at Iron Holt in need of an heir.

It surprised her that the ladies of the Iron Islands joined in on this Greenlander travesty. Even Alerah, perhaps the fiercest Kyra knew beside herself, had traded leather and mail for a flowing dress that made her look as if she was surrounded by dark water as Whalen twirled her around, surprisingly skilled for a man of his age. It was a Riverlander custom, dressing up for such occasions, yet over the last decades, it had finally found its way to the Islands as well, where most women were all too eager for a chance to wear something else but practical, yet admittedly homely clothes.

Velmont's screams caused her to focus her attention back at the two men dancing the Finger Dance. As expected, Gravven had won, proudly displaying the axe he had caught, whereas Velmont was kneeling on the ground, holding the upper half of his left index finger, severed when he failed to catch. “That would be settled then!”, her second-in-command proclaimed loudly, as his companions patted him on the shoulder for his victory.

Briefly, she tensed up as she felt a hand on her belly from behind, though then, the briefest of smiles found its way onto her face. “Even in that garb, you're more radiant than all of them combined”, Harrick whispered into her ear and she could smell his breath, hinting at the surprisingly few ales he had drunken. Hells, at this point she herself was probably less sober than him. His lips briefly touched her neck.

“Let me guess, you'd still prefer me in a silken dress, Prince Harrick”, she mumbled in return, to which his hand moved to her waist. “Not quite”, he told her. “I'd much rather have you without” She spun around, an impish grin on her face. “I think you made that clear before”, she agreed, as she put a hand onto the chainmail above the leather chestpiece. “At least this garb is going to keep me safe if trouble comes up”

Harrick tilted his head. “Do you expect trouble?”, he asked, to which she shook her head. “Not really”, she admitted. “The castle is well guarded and our enemies are not enough to pose a threat today” To this, Harrick sighed and her smile grew smaller. “What's the matter?”, she asked.

“I'd say you underestimate them”, he told her. “Our enemies are numerous, far more than my father wishes to admit” Kyra however understood immediately. “The other Riverlords”, she stated and Harrick gave her a nod. “As much as Lord Mallister's support benefits us, from his standpoint I'd say he picked the wrong side”, he explained. “The Riverlords will never forget this and they gain power and confidence”

“The Dragonlord?”, Kyra asked and Harrick frowned. “The houses near Blackwater Bay have all bowed to him. Rosby without a fight, Stokeworth after some... minor convincing. Bryen Darklyn and Grenn Mooton marched against them and they failed miserably. Both perished, alongside half of their men, the survivors pledged to House Targaryen under new lords”

“Grim news”, Kyra admitted. “I guess the other Riverlords are not unhappy about this” Harrick shook his head. “Darklyn and Mooton have been loyal, they chose us over Targaryen and died for this. What kind of message will this send to the lords who are already doubting? Tully, Blackwood, whom do you think they will choose?”

Kyra frowned, as she considered this. “We're far from the sea”, she mumbled and Harrick sighed. “I haven't told father yet”, he admitted. “Not today. Please, keep this a secret for now” She nodded, noticing how tense he truly was. “It'll be good”, she promised, putting his hand onto hers. “Targaryen is not the first they proclaim as their saviour and he won't be the last. He'll fail, like all who came before him”

Harrick averted his gaze, before an almost sheepish smile formed on his face. “I am sorry”, he told her. “I shouldn't have darkened your mood on this day” Kyra tilted her head, placing her arms on his shoulders, giving him a tender smile. “You did not”, she assured him and she felt her own heartbeat fastening. This in turn caused her to tense up, more than the dark news he had shared with her. Inches away from his face, they gazed into each other's eyes.

Finally, Kyra pulled away, feeling slight relief at not holding him so close anymore. Sharing a bed at times was one thing, but this? She wasn't sure what to make of it. “Someone could see us”, she remarked and Harrick, desire in his eyes, smirked at her comment. “What?”, he asked. “Are you afraid they could grow jealous of you?” This caused Kyra's grin to return and she actually chuckled. “You're too kind to yourself”, she replied and both shared a brief laugh.

It was in this moment that Harren raised from his chair. Kyra saw that he quickly glanced at her, narrowing his dark eyes, before focussing on his son, who leant back, an expression of drunken boredom on his face. “My friends!”, he roared and the Ironborn cheered him on by slamming their jugs onto the table. “It has been a long day and I see you enjoy the gifts I have given to you!”

“Harren!”, they roared. “Harren King!” He calmed them down by raising his hands slowly. “I know, I know! And my friends, there will be a lot more. I want you to feast, I want you to drink, for this day is truly worthy of revelry!” His heavy hand, clad in black steel, lowered down onto Elaena's shoulder and the girl just barely stopped herself from letting out a scream of fear.

“My family has grown larger today, for I received a daughter”, the king said and his smile was almost friendly. Yet Kyra knew how he was and Elaena was smart enough to sense it and as such, her eyes did not lighten up. “Harlan, please”, Harren said and with a groan, the wounded prince pushed himself up from his chair, the second farthest away from the newlyweds at the table of honour.

Using the table itself to keep himself walking, he limped over to his father and his sister-in-law and from afar, Kyra saw something in his hand. He handed it over to Harren, who patted him onto the back. “I was never blessed with a daughter myself”, Harren said, his loud voice carrying effortlessly through the hall. “Some would call that in return a blessing, that four sons are more than any man could wish for, though I am inclined to disagree”

Kyra noticed how Harrick clenched his fists, as the king continued. “A daughter always obeys”, he said, looking at Harmund, who defiantly met his glare. It was Harren who looked away first, onwards to Harlan. “A daughter never disappoints” Harlan gulped, quickly looking to the ground. “A daughter is the grace of her family”, the king continued and Harndon was too deluded to realize what was going on, as he merely grinned at his father. “Her wisdom and guidance is the most valuable of goods” Finally, he looked at Harrick, who pressed his lips together. “A daughter puts her own family... above the rest”

With these words, he looked down at Elaena at last and he smiled, as he placed both hands on her shoulders. “As such, it is my delight to welcome you in my home, daughter! May your life here be long and joyful!” Elaena suddenly looked down at the golden locket the king had placed around her neck. “This is a treasure I never thought I'd pass on, with only sons in my family. It belonged to my mother and you will wear it with pride”

The girl gave him a nod, still shy, but out of more than just politeness. With a grin, Harren turned to his men. “My friends, I know this day has been filled with customs some of you have never experienced before. Strange customs from green lands and even after a hundred years, some ways remain strange to our kind!”, he roared. “However, I do believe you will enjoy this next ritual. As I said before, you have all been enjoying this evening. All but one of you”

As soon as he said this, he placed a hand down on Harmund's shoulder. “You have drunken a lot, yes, but you have barely eaten, you haven't smiled, you haven't jested!”, he spoke. What would have sound encouraging from someone else had something unsettling from Harren, for Kyra knew he was many things, but certainly not the encouraging type.

“My son, it is time you find some enjoyment in this night!”, Harren spoke. “It is time for the bedding!” These final words were spoken almost chillingly calm, yet they were met with the enthusiastic cheering of the gathered Ironborn. The newlyweds themselves did not chime in. Harmund's expression darkened even further, whereas Elaena, for a moment, looked absolutely panicked.

The Ironborn drowned out what protests the two could bring up by cheering, deafeningly so. Kyra did not chime in, neither did Harrick. It came as no surprise to her that Gravven wasn't thrilled either. The raider approached them with a frown not less severe than Harrick's. While she wasn't been surprised by this, the prince certainly was, as he gave him a questioning glance. “Always took you as someone who likes tradition, Drumm”, he remarked.

“Aye”, Gravven confirmed. “Our tradition. That right here though, it's kinda disgusting. Only Greenlanders could get the idea to force the bride to be stripped by a hundred strangers on her wedding night” He chuckled. “Yet we're the savages, eh?”

With Harren and Arrec not joining in, Harlan was the first to reach the bride. Elaena had tensed up, raising her hands to defend herself, as the secondborn prince had a leery grin on his face. Help came from an unexpected source, as Harmund rose from his chair, putting a hand against Harlan's chest and heavily pushing him backwards. Still with a wounded leg, the prince stumbled backwards, quickly falling to the ground, as Harmund towered over him with hatred in his eyes.

“Back off, bastard”, he hissed. “I think I'm quite able to undress my bride on my own and when I want” His glare hit the gathered Ironborn and Riverlanders, fearsome enough to bring about half of them back onto their seats. “We understand each other? Good”, he growled, as he glanced at his father. Harren's feigned smile had faded by now, replaced by the cold, stern look Kyra had come to know and, on occasion, respect. “As you wish”, he admitted. “Enjoy your night” This final sentence had been spoken with disdain and a sharp sort of malign.

Harmund clenched his fists, before he reached for Elaena's forearm, yanking her up from her chair. The girl was crying by now and seeking for help, she looked for her father. Arrec, visibly sweating, forced a smile as he looked at her and raised his glass, giving her an enthusiastic nod. “Come, wife”, Harmund spat.

So, the newlyweds made their way through the room, as Kyra, flanked by Harrick and Gravven, watched them. Tears streamed down Elaena's face and she stared at Harmund in open fear, while the prince wasn't looking at her at all. Instead, he focussed on Kyra, whom he had to pass to leave the hall for the deeper parts of the castle, to get to the tower where his rooms were located.

“Greyjoy, a word”, he growled. “Outside” With this, he had passed her, while Kyra tensed up, slightly confused by his request. She narrowed her eyes and looked at Harrick, who subtly shook his head. Kyra did not want to go, she had to admit it, though at the same time, there were a lot of things she did not want to and perhaps angering a man such as Harmund, especially on the current day, was not the brightest idea. Yet was following him a better one? She glanced down at her axe, knowing she had to make a decision.

[Follow Harmund] [Stay with Harrick]

• edited January 2018

[Follow Harmund] I am admittedly a bit hesitant to choose this, particularly because Harrick seems to be advicing against it. That said, I don't think it is wise to anger Harmund now, and I'm (perhaps naively) hoping that he indeed just wants to have a word with Kyra.

Anyway, this was a really nice part, with the Hoare's showing signs of integrating to Andal culture :D Culture clashes are always interesting, and this whole wedding was the epitome of cultures clashing. I also found Gravven's distaste towards the bedding ceremony quite funny. He is not wrong, it is a very barbaric custom when you think about it, but it's just funny coming from an Ironborn =)

Kyra It was a common belief that a wedding was supposed to be a joyful occasion. However, from Kyra's experience, it was more often than

• [Follow Harmund]

Kyra It was a common belief that a wedding was supposed to be a joyful occasion. However, from Kyra's experience, it was more often than

• [Follow Harmund] Didn't thought the marriage would occur so soon, and is as depressive as we thought.
    I doubt Harmund is stupid enough (even drunk) to assault the captain of his guards, just because he can tell there's something between his brother and Kyra.

• edited January 2018

[Follow Harmund]

And yes,Sorry for my absence there.My little cousin was eating my brains.He is very irritating and intolerable.He didn't let my touch my pc.

• [Follow Harmund]

• [Follow Harmund]

I don't think disobeying someone like Harmund is a good idea, it could get Harrick into trouble too.

• I am admittedly a bit hesitant to choose this, particularly because Harrick seems to be advicing against it. That said, I don't think it is wise to anger Harmund now, and I'm (perhaps naively) hoping that he indeed just wants to have a word with Kyra.

Well, the reason why Harrick advices against it is mostly because he has such a low opinion on Harmund (probably for good reasons) that he would never advice anyone whom he cares for to get near him. Harmund in return really doesn't like Kyra, so there are arguments against going with him for sure. The question really is if Harmund would dare to do anything to her in a castle filled with soldiers loyal to her.

Anyway, this was a really nice part, with the Hoare's showing signs of integrating to Andal culture :D Culture clashes are always interesting, and this whole wedding was the epitome of cultures clashing. I also found Gravven's distaste towards the bedding ceremony quite funny. He is not wrong, it is a very barbaric custom when you think about it, but it's just funny coming from an Ironborn =)

Aye, I like this culture clash as well. The Hoare's and some of the Ironborn are indeed integrating, as you know that process has been going on for quite some time now, albeit it has never been as severe as with Harren, whose rule is based in the Riverlands and not on the Iron Islands. They might not even notice it, but the fact that Harren was very willing to provide a sept to have his son marry with Andal customs is a clear sign for that. Most Ironborn are not okay with this and Gravven is definitely among them. As an Ironborn, he is definitely not in the best position to protest against customs such as the bedding though, but it shows that both sides have customs the other sees as primitive and barbaric. Probably the Ironborn a bit more though :D

[Follow Harmund] I am admittedly a bit hesitant to choose this, particularly because Harrick seems to be advicing against it. That said, I d

• Didn't thought the marriage would occur so soon, and is as depressive as we thought.

And it has only just started. The sole silver lining for Elaena is that Harmund has absolutely no interest in her. It'd be a thousand times worse if he'd actively want her, but as utterly sick as he might be otherwise, he is simply not attracted to children. It's quite a shame that this must be noted as his single redeeming trait. However, Elaena cannot expect any sort of kindness from him and the marriage is going to be a horrible one for her, that much should be clear.

I doubt Harmund is stupid enough (even drunk) to assault the captain of his guards, just because he can tell there's something between his brother and Kyra.

Well, while not a genius, Harmund is definitely not stupid, no. He is, however, a psychopath with a temper and at times, he just borderline functions. Intelligence and a bit of an impulse control is what sets him apart from Harndon. However, you are right, it is not particularly likely he'd try to assault Kyra, but at the same time, he is not the most predictable man either.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Follow Harmund] Didn't thought the marriage would occur so soon, and is as depressive as we thought. I doubt Harmund is stupid enough (e

• Ah, I understand. Welcome back, I am glad you managed to make your return. With me taking things a bit slower after the chapter finale (though it will pick up again), you haven't missed much :)

[Follow Harmund] And yes,Sorry for my absence there.My little cousin was eating my brains.He is very irritating and intolerable.He didn't let my touch my pc.

• [Follow Harmund] The prince commandeth, we must doeth.

“Show him how it's done, Gravven!”, she urged him and he saluted in turn, the blade of the small axe touching his forehead. “I was hoping you'd say that, captain”, he replied and as Velmont tried to retreat, Quellon Codd and Dagon Saltcliffe grabbed his shoulders, pushing him into the space they had hastily cleared out for the two men.

Codddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

You know, I am happy for this family. Harren seems like a great father-in-law. What a nice day.

• edited January 2018

[Follow Harmund] I really don't know what to pick here, but I know that angering Harmund any further won't do us any good. The thing that makes me at least a little confident with going with this, is that Kyra will be taking her axe with her. While Harmund no doubt has a lot more physical strength than Kyra, I imagine she's a lot better than him with a weapon in hand. I'd be more certain that nothing would happen if someone as physically strong as Gravven were to go with her, but I'm confident she'll be more than able to defend herself should anything happen. Besides, Damon hasn't appeared yet, and while he's a scheming cunt, he does care a lot about his sister (or at least used to). I'd like to think he's keeping an eye on her during the wedding, and as soon as he sees her following Harmund he'll probably make sure to be close by.

Man, what a great part! I was looking forward to the wedding and I gotta say it was great. Didn't expect Harren to bring a septon though, that couldn't have rubbed well on his Ironborn bannermen, especially the ones who still keep the old way close. I gotta say that I feel really sorry for Elaena, for a number of reasons. Saying that her future is not looking well would be a massive understatement... fucking Arrec.

Ha! That finger dance scene was amazing, damn. I gotta give it to Redloon though, he's got guts (or in this case, extreme stupidity) to challenge an Ironborn in the Finger Dance. While I doubt he was expecting Gravven to take this so seriously, he should be thanking the gods for the outcome. He only lost one finger, when in the worst case scenario he could've gotten his entire hand chopped off. I also love Gravven's disgust for continental culture, it was really fun to read. The irony behind the whole thing is just too good :D

• [Follow Harmund]

• [Follow Harmund]

• [Follow Harmund]

• edited January 2018

Codddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

And not just any, but actually Lord Codd, the head of the house. He's previously been mentioned to be the father of Sylvi and uncle of Viveka, currently serving directly at Harrenhal.

You know, I am happy for this family. Harren seems like a great father-in-law. What a nice day.

Yeah, surely, this is going to be Elaena's happiest day so far. No, wait, I meant her happiest day from now. She's got a loving husband, a father-in-law known for his kindness (and see, he even made a nice speech about how great she is, with no hidden intentions at all) and on top of that, she gets to be the queen one day. Through this marriage, she's gotten her very own Prince Harry and fulfilled every girl's childhood dream of becoming an actual princess.

[Follow Harmund] The prince commandeth, we must doeth. “Show him how it's done, Gravven!”, she urged him and he saluted in turn, the b

• I really don't know what to pick here, but I know that angering Harmund any further won't do us any good. The thing that makes me at least a little confident with going with this, is that Kyra will be taking her axe with her. While Harmund no doubt has a lot more physical strength than Kyra, I imagine she's a lot better than him with a weapon in hand. I'd be more certain that nothing would happen if someone as physically strong as Gravven were to go with her, but I'm confident she'll be more than able to defend herself should anything happen. Besides, Damon hasn't appeared yet, and while he's a scheming cunt, he does care a lot about his sister (or at least used to). I'd like to think he's keeping an eye on her during the wedding, and as soon as he sees her following Harmund he'll probably make sure to be close by.

Well, while Kyra will meet him alone, she won't be unarmed for sure. As captain of the guard, not being armed would go against her duties. She's definitely skilled, having a good teacher and though five years younger than him, she's probably gotten more actual combat experience as well, since she has started to raid at an earlier age. Just how good each of them is will be seen over the course of Book 2, as I have planned for both to get some fight scenes. You also bring up a good point there, Damon is around somewhere. He attended the wedding, you can count on that, and he really cares about Kyra, so Harmund himself knows, if he tries anything, he has to face the wrath of the Lord Captain.

Man, what a great part! I was looking forward to the wedding and I gotta say it was great. Didn't expect Harren to bring a septon though, that couldn't have rubbed well on his Ironborn bannermen, especially the ones who still keep the old way close. I gotta say that I feel really sorry for Elaena, for a number of reasons. Saying that her future is not looking well would be a massive understatement... fucking Arrec.

Ah, I am glad you enjoyed it :) Harren did indeed bring a septon and this hall is going to remain a sept out of what might even be an ounce of kindness towards his new daughter-in-law. It is mentioned after all that Harrenhal during the War of the Five Kings has a long-abandoned sept and I'd say it is the makeshift one that was simply kept in use for the months after the wedding. Call it the Riverlander influence. This wedding is actually a victory for the Riverlands as a whole, because from their current viewpoint, it means that a Riverlander will one day be the second most important person in the kingdom and that the king after Harmund will be half Riverlander. We obviously know that Aegon is going to have a say in this, but if he would have never been born, I'd say the Ironborn culture would have actually slowly vanished over the course of the next couple hundred years, with the once purely Ironborn kings having more and more Riverlands blood in them and their customs being assimilated slowly. It was the case before, but back then, the Drowned Men were powerful and the Ironborn kingdom went no further than the Islands themselves. Now, 90% of the kingdom is not on the Iron Islands, roughly the same number are no Ironborn and slowly, not even their kings will remain pureblooded Ironborn. Even a king as harsh as Harren is willing to bring in a septon for this wedding, so imagine how a hypothetical son of Harmund and Elaena would act, especially if his mother gets a say in how to raise him.

Ha! That finger dance scene was amazing, damn. I gotta give it to Redloon though, he's got guts (or in this case, extreme stupidity) to challenge an Ironborn in the Finger Dance. While I doubt he was expecting Gravven to take this so seriously, he should be thanking the gods for the outcome. He only lost one finger, when in the worst case scenario he could've gotten his entire hand chopped off. I also love Gravven's disgust for continental culture, it was really fun to read. The irony behind the whole thing is just too good :D

Well, it was extreme stupidity, definitely not bravery. Velmont has drunken a bit and decided to brag a bit and unfortunately for him, Gravven heard it. Questioning his skill with the Finger Dance, I guess he'd take that pretty seriously and it is safe to say that he has proven to be at least one of the best. Velmont got off easy, but he learned a valuable lesson. And well, it is ironic, isn't it? Gravven does not think so of course. He might not be all in favour of every single custom they have on the Iron Islands, but all in all I consider him to be someone who appreciates their culture, while the Riverlander culture, probably more familiar for you and me, appears strange and at times downright laughable to him. In this particular case, he is even disgusted, because Elaena is technically Harmund's rock wife (despite not being Ironborn, the fact that their kingdom exceeds the Islands makes this a bit more complicated) and as unrepentantly misogynistic as they are, the way I see it a rock wife is actually treated with respect, while the bedding ceremony is the opposite of respectful behaviour.

[Follow Harmund] I really don't know what to pick here, but I know that angering Harmund any further won't do us any good. The thing that ma

• The Voting is closed!

Kyra is going to follow Harmund

Well, this is the outcome I have the more detailed plans for, though I was pretty certain it would not end up unanimously, given whom she's going to follow here. Harmund is a loose cannon, drunken and in a remarkably foul mood even for his standards. That being said, he has something on his mind and the fact that he approaches Kyra, whom he openly loathes, is quite unusual, to say the least. Her next part should shed some light onto his reasons and I can confirm, not going with him would have angered him even more, probably meaning he'd take his anger out on Elaena.

The next part should be out later today. I am currently writing the first part for Jaron's storyline in this chapter, although I am pretty sure an important choice has to come up relatively early into his storyline, so I think there will be room for a second PoV. This second one, I am uncertain about. There's several I consider, including Janae to keep things in Essos, as well as possibly Drent or Arthur. Since Janae might require a full-length part to catch up with her after her break in the last chapter, Drent or Arthur are the more likely possibilities. Really quickly, I can confirm that Jaron's part will show his arrival in the city of Lys, his first time being outside of Westeros and already confronting him with some new situations and one very important choice, whereas Drent's part will cover the morning of the tournament Argilac has arranged in honour of Argella, while Arthur's part will show the aftermath of his decision to help Ryler getting away from the Sphynx. I'll try my utmost to get it all done today and am positive that it should work out :)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.