Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• I have no idea. Maybe it's the fact that her survival really was a bit too narrow considering who she was up against. But chances of her death had been there, she just got extremely lucky. But I am positive that I'll manage to change the general opinion on Jenna.

TheFurryOne posted: »

Why is Jenna Harking hated?

• I love all the Harkings :D

I have no idea. Maybe it's the fact that her survival really was a bit too narrow considering who she was up against. But chances of her dea

• I started the trend.

DeathToJenna

TheFurryOne posted: »

Why is Jenna Harking hated?

• No it´s:

DeathToTheHarkingsExceptAlan

I started the trend. DeathToJenna

• So... you know I charmingly described the place I went to for vacation for as the German Outback, mainly because of it's lack of internet. W

• edited April 2015

Liquid is a tireless robot, always working on this story. One character is introduced, he prepares for the next. One character is developed, he prepares for the next.

Also, I can't fake my death, not as long as I haven't written this awesome stuff that I have planned :D

And it's good to see you, Lord! Sorry for not having your character introduced until now, but he is planned to make his first appearance in this chapter, in one of the coming parts. There are some nice plans involving him :D

Lord_EAA posted: »

JESUS CHRIST. I came here to ask how this was going but i take ONE look at the non-introduced characters list and im wondering why Liquid hasent pretended to be dead yet. I guess hes way too awesome for that ^-^. But still.....Jesus.

• edited April 2015

No it's

DeathToTheHarkingsIncludingAlan

supersagig posted: »

No it´s: DeathToTheHarkingsExceptAlan

• Dude i COMPLEATLY understand don't worry. And thanks i sadly havent gotten the time to read so far but concidering the few bits i have read were fantastic and the fact that all the 'fan' commenters love it i would'nt be supprised if you get a call from George R Martin asking you to help with Winds of Winter so i have no doubts in your skills.

Liquid is a tireless robot, always working on this story. One character is introduced, he prepares for the next. One character is developed,

• I think you're all a little confused, it's actually...

DeathToNoHarkingsIncludingAlan

No it's DeathToTheHarkingsIncludingAlan

• Wait, Jenna is the girl who survived against Wolfius? In that case...

Alt text

I have no idea. Maybe it's the fact that her survival really was a bit too narrow considering who she was up against. But chances of her dea

• why not?

DeathToEveryoneButHarrisBeTortured

NoHopeLeft posted: »

I think you're all a little confused, it's actually... DeathToNoHarkingsIncludingAlan

• Harlan Hoare approves of this.

why not? DeathToEveryoneButHarrisBeTortured

• YAY BTW :D

So... you know I charmingly described the place I went to for vacation for as the German Outback, mainly because of it's lack of internet. W

• You were in Germany, you should go a little bit to the East, we would welcome you in Poland :D

In all seriousness, can't wait :D

So... you know I charmingly described the place I went to for vacation for as the German Outback, mainly because of it's lack of internet. W

• well, the Germans did visit you 70 years back....

wait didn't it happen like this?

Alt text

oh, never mind...

Crips posted: »

You were in Germany, you should go a little bit to the East, we would welcome you in Poland In all seriousness, can't wait

• Be prepared for a new chapter starting early tomorrow!

Lies.

Alt text

Can we maybe get an updated list for the characters to appear in Book 1?

• I am very sorry. I am currently writing it and try to finish it in the next 30 minutes, but if I don't make it until then, I will go to sleep and finish it tomorrow. Had a few distractions today and ended up being not as productive as I wished I would be.

Be prepared for a new chapter starting early tomorrow! Lies. Can we maybe get an updated list for the characters to appear in Book 1?

• Don't worry about it Liquid, It's so funny making you like this lol. You're so amusing when you act like this.

So can we get that updated character list?

I am very sorry. I am currently writing it and try to finish it in the next 30 minutes, but if I don't make it until then, I will go to slee

• Yes, I'll make an updated list about the characters in Book 1 soon. A few new submissions made it into Book 1

Don't worry about it Liquid, It's so funny making you like this lol. You're so amusing when you act like this. So can we get that updated character list?

• That's sweet.

Well, I should stop distracting ya. Keep up the good work.

Yes, I'll make an updated list about the characters in Book 1 soon. A few new submissions made it into Book 1

• My only suggestion is to describe character clothing/faces with more detail. for some characters you did not really say what they were wearing or what they looked like to an extent, leaving the reader guessing.

• Oh, yeah, right.

Forgot that Germans don't want to drink tea with us. Neither do they want alcohol.

well, the Germans did visit you 70 years back.... wait didn't it happen like this? oh, never mind...

• But if everyone would be dead, who would torture Harris?!?!!?!

why not? DeathToEveryoneButHarrisBeTortured

• edited April 2015

Yes, I guess I really have to do that a bit more. I always try not to go too detailed with the characters looks since I fear it distracts from the actual plot too much and since I think I am not very good with it, but I agree that I have to go into more detail with most of them.

My only suggestion is to describe character clothing/faces with more detail. for some characters you did not really say what they were wearing or what they looked like to an extent, leaving the reader guessing.

• edited April 2015

Act II: Shattered and Broken

Chapter I: Butterfly

Lucas

No... that was impossible. The man was dead. Nobody could survive a fall like this. They had found his corpse, shattered and broken, fallen from the tower. Murdered. But who had found the corpse? Some servants? He had never seen it. It had to be impossible! Yet, here he was. Maester Eaton. He was a bit paler than Lucas remembered, his face a bit thinner, gaunt, a bit harder. The eyes had the same blue colour, but instead of the warmth Lucas had always found in Eaton's eyes, these looked at him with cold indifference. But everything else was the same. The fine wrinkles, the sharp nose...

“Maester Eaton...”, Lucas repeated, still in complete shock. “This is impossible”, Leonard exclaimed, only marginally more composed. Maester Eaton looked at them, still showing no signs of any joy. “Do I know you?”, he finally asked. It was his voice, but any trace of kindness was gone, as well as most signs of the physical weakness Eaton suffered from. Instead this voice sounded sharp, determined and would have been befitting to a man a good twenty years younger. But still, that was his voice. His eyes showed no sign of recognition, but he was carefully eyeing the sigil on their tabards.

“Two knights from Raylansfair. From what Dairon here told me, you are... Lucas Flowers and Leonard Constantine, I presume”, he said slowly. Lucas regained his composure a bit earlier than Leonard and took a step towards the man, still unsure what to say or how to act. “How... no... who are you? You can't be Maester Eaton!”, he stuttered and the Maester raised his eyebrows in surprise. “You keep using that name, boy. You'd be well advised to show some respect for the dead”, he hissed. “No, I am not Eaton and I have never pretended to be. My name is Quent, but you will call me Archmaester”

Lucas looked at Leonard, who finally managed to close his mouth. “But...”, the other knight stuttered. “You are... you...” He paused and looked at Lucas, visibly shaken. The Maester looked at them, shaking his head. “Your confusion is understandable. After all, me and my brother look quite similar”, he said. The revelation his Lucas like a horse kick. “Brother!”, he exclaimed. “You are Eaton's brother!”

Quent gave him a sharp glare. “Younger brother by two years. But in my age, two years hardly matter” He finally pointed at the chairs. “Sit down”, he ordered and Lucas was only to happy to oblige. His knees were shaking and he was still looking at the man in pure shock. He looked like Eaton. But he was different. Small mannerisms that were characteristic for Eaton. The underlying sadness in his eyes. Quent was different. There was no sadness in his eyes. There was only bitterness, a glare sharp enough to cut rocks. Eaton had this glare too, but it always seemed to be benevolent with him, keen and friendly. Quent on the other hand looked leery, resentful.

“Two knights, serving a dead house and my dead brother, chasing a barely-grown halfwit across the Reach”, Quent said and his frown formed into a cold smirk. “And now you are here and call me 'Eaton'” As he spoke the dead man's name, his voice hardened. “I assume you have many questions”

Leonard leant forwards, looking the Archmaester directly in the eyes. He had regained his composure completely, although Lucas noticed the same shock in his stare that he felt himself. “You are Eaton's brother... why had he never mentioned you?”, Leonard asked.

Quent shrugged, a surprisingly agile movement for a man of his age. “We weren't close. I have rarely spoken about him, I guess he never spoke of me. That's the positive thing about the order of Maesters. We have no last name and no family”, he explained. “Besides, what would he say about me? I can say nothing good about him and I doubt it would be any nicer the other way around”

Lucas watched Leonard leaning backwards again, still breathing heavily. Eaton's brother! The Archmaester was Maester Eaton's brother. He opened his mouth, but before he could say something Leonard looked at Dairon. “And you?”, he hissed. “You knew anything about this?” His voice sounded probably sharper than he intended and Dairon slightly shivered. “N... No, Ser Leonard! Eaton only told me to go to Archmaester Quent, to give him...”, he said but paused and looked at the Archmaester. Quent had looked at Lucas while Dairon was speaking and let out an audible sigh now. “It's alright, boy. These knights already know about Lord Raylans last will”

As he noticed Lucas surprised glare, his smirk got colder. “What? You are easy to read, boy. Not a liar. Your companion is a bit harder...”, he said and looked at Leonard. “Are you a liar, boy?” Lucas noticed Leonard's facial expression turning into an angry frown, but the knight stayed silent, clenching his fists. Quent shook his head. “Remarkable self-restraint”, he said with a mocking tone, before reaching into a pocket inside of his robe, pulling out a small envelope. Lucas noticed the broken seal of House Raylan on it. “Anyways, here is your last will”, he said, slightly waving it, before putting it right in front of him, his smirk turning into a devious smile.

“You know, as a Historian who can't write history, things get quite boring sometimes...”, he started, looking from Lucas to Leonard. “And this...” He grabbed the last will, holding it in his pale hands, riddled with age-marks. “This is a wonderful coincidence, don't you agree?”

Leonard was about to say something, but this time Lucas cut him off. “So, you are telling us that you're going to give the will to Lord Hightower? To get your archive?”, he asked. Something wasn't right here. The way Quent looked at them... Lucas was not a skilled liar, he was nowhere like his brother. But he knew how manipulating someone looked like. “I don't think you're doing this...”, he added.

This time Quent looked surprised. “And why shouldn't I? Every Historian before me hoped for a chance like this” He waved the last will again. “Tell me, why shouldn't I do this? A single word to Lord Hightower and he will bring your archive to it's knees. He will bring it home, where it belongs. Tell me, why shouldn't I? I'm curious what you're offering”

Offering? Seven Hells, what could he offer? He had little money and all the riches of Raylansfair wouldn't be enough to satisfy a man like Quent. There was nothing he could offer. Lucas looked at Dairon. Eaton's apprentice was only two years younger than him, but looked a good five years younger, more a boy than a man. And he looked guilty, avoiding his stare, instead looking at the table. And in that moment, Lucas realized something. “Maester Eaton knew that Hightower wouldn't be good for Raylansfair, right?”, Lucas said, looking triumphantly at Quent. The Archmaester gave him a nod. “Correct, boy”, he answered.

"Maester Eaton was a wise man”, Lucas continued and Quent shook his head. “Debatable. But when it came down to his city, yes, even I admit that I know men more foolish than him”, the Archmaester answered and Lucas gave him a triumphant smile. “And still he gave Dairon the last will with specific instructions to contact you, knowing fully well about the grudge between you...”, he started but was cut off by Quent slamming his fist on the table. The sudden, loud sound was enough to silence him.

“Grudge?”, Quent growled, his voice. “We came from very humble beginnings. Not quite peasants, but poor smallfolk, a small merchants sons. I always strived for greatness. I always wanted to write history. While Eaton was outside, tormenting some old man, I learned. I learned how to write. I learned how to read. I studied, even before I came here. And I was better than Eaton. Still, everything I had to work so hard for was nothing compared to the easiness Eaton acquired new skills” The Archmaester paused for a moment as his cold glare faded, replaced by something much deeper. “He never worked, yet still I had to struggle to be better than him. If only he would have had my ambition... the greatest mind I've ever known, wasted to a foolish boy” For a moment the Archmaester seemed genuinely sad. “Of course, he had to start studying too. It had always been my dream, but he followed me out of spite. And while I worked hard, forged my links, he was outside, drinking, getting into fights. Naturally, the Citadel chose him to be Raylansfair's Maester, a troublemaker, having only his necessary links”

The sad look on Quent's face was replaced by cruel smirk. “He was especially bad in healing, having to bribe the Archmaester to be able to forge his link. Guess that killed Lord Raylan's younger sister when she was crushed by that horse. I know I could have saved her” The cruel smirk vanished, replaced by a stern, angry glare. “I became Archmaester of history. Yet he, a simple Maester, had everything I ever wanted. And he did not deserve it. He didn't even want it. And yet...”, Quent hissed, before pausing and looking Lucas straight in the eye, furious enough to make the knight flinch. “He was my brother. Don't you ever dare calling this a grudge again!”

Leonard cleared his throat. “Does that mean you are helping us?”, he asked. Quent gave him a short nod. “Exactly. Me and my brother... we haven't talked for years. I am not too saddened by his untimely death. A Maester has no family. Yet, he is my blood. And I won't turn him down”

Archmaester Quent looked at Lucas again. “Hightower won't be good for Raylansfair. Only the Seven know what madness afflicted Lord Raylan when he chose him as his successor. And then there is this...”, he explained, pulling out a small document out of his robe. “A second note, accompanying the will. Written by Eaton. Most of these words are... personal... but I could tell that my brother was afraid. Probably for the first time in his life, not counting the time where he let Morna Raylan die. And he was uncertain. Uncertain what to do. Torn between loyalty for his city and loyalty between his old friend”

The old man shook his bald head. “Normally I would marvel over this. My brother, uncertain what t to do. It would will me with glee. But after what he had written here... It might seem like it, but I never truly hated my brother. I hate what I'm going to do, but I won't let him down. He wanted me to choose, but not the choice I would make, but the choice that is the right one here”

He stared at the last will. “And I am afraid I am not able to make the right choice. I am too biased. An old man who spent a lifetime in bitterness. That's why I hoped for people like you. Dairon told me about you. Lucas Flowers, the bastard of Darkdell. Banished from your lands... Tell me, how was it when you tried to murder your father?”

Lucas felt anger growing inside of him and for one moment he had to suppress the urge to jump at the Archmaester. “I have never tried to murder him!”, he shouted. “I tried to save him from my brother!”

Quent shrugged. “Of course you have. And I won't doubt your version of this story, not as long as you are the one with the sword”, he said and looked at Leonard. “And Leonard Constantine. Finding something about you was a bit harder. Tell me, when your whore tied you to a boat and tried to burn you alive, what where your feelings? Did you feel betrayed? Angry? Are you a man who seeks vengeance?” His voice was like poison and Lucas saw how Leonard's face dropped. “How do you know about that?”, the knight growled. “How the fuck do you know about that!” He raised from his chair, but Lucas was quicker, grabbing Leonard by the arm. “Len...”, he hissed sharply and the other knight gave him a glare of helpless anger. Quent answered with a cold smirk.

“As I thought. An angry man”, he said gleefully. “The Citadel has it's ways to find out about people. I knew, the castellan would send knights after Dairon. And Raylansfair only has four knights. The castellan won't go himself, not while he has to build up his own position. This 'Impaler', he won't go either. He is too important to go on such a petty mission. But Lucas Flowers, the bastard and Leonard Constantine, the messenger... I did some research on you. I have expected you, just not yet. Maybe tomorrow. You were faster than I thought”

He looked at Leonard and his face got a bit softer, almost resembling Eaton's for a moment. “I am sorry, Ser Leonard. I never meant any disrespect”, he said. Leonard gave him a cold glare. “Have I mentioned that I hate liars?”, he growled as an answer. Quent's polite expression vanished, replaced by the usual cold look. “Understandable, after what happened”, he simply stated. Lucas saw Leonard clenching his fists, but staying silent.

“From what I see, you are better suited to decide, better than me for sure”, Quent explained. “That's why I am giving this responsibility to you. However, there are a few things you need to talk to with Dairon. Some very interesting things. I have uncovered some extraordinary secrets too and I am willing to share them with...”, he explained but was cut off by the sound of someone banging on his door. Before he could answer, the door was opened and the old man who sat in the antechamber stepped in. “Archmaester!”, he exclaimed. “I hear men coming. Several, actually. And from the sound they make, they have to be armed”

Leonard gave Lucas an alarmed stare and both of them raised and put hands on their swords. Quent raised too, but he gave them a stern look. “No violence”, he hissed. “I can guess who that might be. Mullendore and his butchers. Was only a matter of time until they find the boy. Only thing that surprises me is that Mullendore is faster than Butterfly and the Burned Man”

He looked at Dairon. “You need to go, boy. Hide under the bed while we talk to Mullendore”, he warned him and Lucas gave him an alarmed stare. “You're sending him away? Why?”, he demaned to know. Archmaester Quent didn't even look at him, instead he was pulling Dairon up, pushing him towards his bed. “Because Maron Mullendore is not the kind of man you want to have this boy talking to. He is only marginally better than the Burned Man. Don't you worry, I won't send him away. I will only send him to an old friend, someone who will never be searched by anyone, not by Butterfly, not by the Burned Man, not by Hightower and his hounds”

He paused a moment and smiled cheerfully. “I'm sending him to the Mage. Wulvren might be the only one here whom I would trust in any way. Half of the Archmaesters are paid, either by Butterfly or by the Burned Man. Butterfly has the Smith and the Healer on his payroll. The Burned Man pays the Stargazer and the Tactician. And those are only the ones I know about. I suspect that the Seneschal might be on someone's payroll, but I have no proof. The only one who isn't interested in any bribery and who isn't of interest for anyone is Wulvren the Mage. It's a shame that Valyrian Steel gets wasted on someone like him”

Quent interrupted himself, pushing Dairon under his large bed. “And stay there! Say no word”, he hissed. Leonard leant forwards to Lucas, whispering in his ear. “Do you trust him?”, he asked. Lucas shook his head. “Not a single bit”, he answered. Leonard seemed to be pleased by this answer. “You're no fool, Flowers. But he is right with one thing. This Mullendore mustn't know about Dairon or the will. He is Hightowers creature. Give him anything and he will decide for us, but he will decide in favour of Hightower”

Quent looked up to Lucas. “Whatever Mullendore says, don't believe him! He is not your ally, I am. Don't tell him anything about Dairon!”, he urged, sitting down again.

Heavy boots could be heard in front of the door and Lucas looked up as the door was opened. He had expected to be disturbed after their little show in the antechamber. But he hadn't counted on that many guards entering the room. Their leader was a tall man, probably around fifty years, maybe older. His hair was fiery red, but started to grey and he was a bit on the heavy side. Six black and orange butterflies were visible on his tabard... House Mullendore of Uplands.

“Good evening Maester, Sers. I hope I don't disturb anything important”, the knight said politely while taking a stilted bow. “My name is Ser Maron Mullendore. I have a few questions for these two knights” His voice sounded hoarsy, but polite. The look in his dark blue eyes was harsh, but Lucas appreciated the honesty he saw in them.

Quent offered him a chair with a polite gesture and Mullendore sat down, folding his arms, while looking at Lucas, Leonard and Quent, his mouth forming a casual smile. “I assume you have heard about me?”, he asked and Lucas gave him a nod. He remembered what the guardsman at the gate told him. Mullendore was a man he wouldn't want to have around Lunett...

“Yes, Ser Maron. I have heard that you are tasked with bringing down these crimelords”, he said and Mullendore's casual smile vanished. “Right. The cripple and that fucking Butterfly”, he said. “I should be thankful for Butterfly. After all he already defeated most of this cities criminals, at least the ones who don't work for the cripple. But I have lost men too, good men, honest men. The kind of man who won't take bribes...” His stare suddenly hardened. “You wouldn't take any bribes, right?”, he asked. Leonard frowned as he heard this, vigorously shaking his head. “With all due respect, Ser Maron, but we are knights”, he answered.

For a moment Mullendore looked baffled. Then his smile returned. “Ah, right, I forgot. Knights from the countryside. Sers, you do my job for twenty years, you'll see that most men around me are corrupt to the core. But I believe you. You have this look of honest men...” He let out a sigh, looking at the Archmaester. “But look at me, babbling like a fool when I have questions for you” His polite smile returned.

“You see, currently I'm targeting the Burned Man, but I am also working against Butterfly. I dream of a city in which both of them have no place anymore. A city in which the law has a meaning again. And all will be well...”, he said and paused for a moment.

“I have... well... you might say I have interrogated one of Butterflies men. Asked him about his plans. He knew one thing, you know... he was looking for a young boy, a Maester's apprentice, coming from Raylansfair. The boy's name was Dairon. Naturally my men searched the city, with little success. A common boy can remain hidden in a city as large as Oldtown. I am not the Burned Man with his network of spies and people aren't as afraid of me as they are of Butterfly, so I can't even intimidate them as well as I should be able to do... But then I received word that two knights from Raylansfair entered the city and I knew we have a common goal, namely finding the boy and protecting him against Butterfly. You want to bring him back to Raylansfair, I want to use his knowledge against Butterfly, but we can work together here”

Mullendore's polite smile vanished again, replaced by a hard and questioning look. “And now you are here, talking to the Historian. Which brings me to my first question... do you know where this Dairon currently is?”

Archmaester Quent gave Lucas a completely neutral look, but it was clear what he was thinking. Leonard didn't look at Lucas, but Lucas knew the knight's opinion. If he revealed Dairon's presence in this room, Mullendore could protect him. But he would use him to favour Lord Hightower. And whatever Archmaester Quent knew, he made it clear that he wouldn't work with them anymore if Lucas would sell Dairon out to Mullendore...

[Reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore] [Don't reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore]

• The other thing is also how the author of the character described the clothing. If he only mentions facial and body features, you need to make something up, which is usually far less convenient xD

Yes, I guess I really have to do that a bit more. I always try not to go too detailed with the characters looks since I fear it distracts fr

• [Don't reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore]

This has been an amazing chapter. What a great way to kick off Act 2. SO tense.

Act II: Shattered and Broken Chapter I: Butterfly Lucas No... that was impossible. The man was dead. Nobody could survive a fall li

I sure freakin' hope they don't get killed because of this. ;-;

Act II: Shattered and Broken Chapter I: Butterfly Lucas No... that was impossible. The man was dead. Nobody could survive a fall li

• (Don't reveal Dairon position to mullendore)

• [Reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore]

• [dont reveal dairons position to mullendore]

• [Don't reveal Dairon's plan to Mullendore]

• [Don't reveal Dairon's position to Mullendore] Why do it? lol

Awesome Part and start for an Act and Chapter!

• I also think the twist that Lucas tried to kill his father was sweet.

• Like I promised, there's backstory time coming for many characters in this chapter. Lucas and Leonard both learned something vague about each others backstory now which will play a role in the next Lucas parts

I also think the twist that Lucas tried to kill his father was sweet.

• Excellent Liquid.

This has been an excellent chapter, even without the backstory.

The revelation was well done.

Like I promised, there's backstory time coming for many characters in this chapter. Lucas and Leonard both learned something vague about each others backstory now which will play a role in the next Lucas parts

•                  Can I play too?

Alt text

• OMG, that was so intense.

And Maester Eaton is alive?!

Alt text

Lucas No, he was done waiting. The Citadel mocked him and Leonard and they would keep them waiting for a long while, time they could use

Sign in to comment in this discussion.