the voices need to go

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
I haven't been on the site in a while and figured e3 would be as good of a time as any for an update. I must say that telltale has dropped the ball on the voices. They really just don't sound right. I haven't played Sam&max for years but the moment I heard the trailer I knew it just wasn't right. Sure the game looked great but for a comedy adventure geme it is critical for it to sound great.
Time for a petition maybe?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Honestly, I think you're over reacting a bit. The voices seem alright to me, i actually thought they were pretty good. Then again, TellTale has already said they don't have the final voices down yet, so we'll see what happens. Inevitably though they won't be able to make everyone happy...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    No need for a petition! :)) We are paying close attention to people's reactions to the trailer, don't worry. SamNmaX88 is right, though, that there's no way we can please everybody -- even if we DID get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, there are some people who would complain that we should be using Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler from the cartoon show...

May I ask what it is that you don't like about the voices? Is it just that they don't sound like the originals to you, or do you have a specific gripe with one (or both) of them? (Also - you mentioned you haven't played the game in a while. It might be an interesting experiment to load it up again and see if they really sound the way you remember them sounding. :D)
  • edited May 2006
    May I ask what it is that you don't like about the voices? Is it just that they don't sound like the originals to you, or do you have a specific gripe with one (or both) of them? (Also - you mentioned you haven't played the game in a while. It might be an interesting experiment to load it up again and see if they really sound the way you remember them sounding. :D)

I haven't watched much of the TV show, but out of all the actors for Sam (including the trailer here), I think Bill Farmer had the best delivery (speed perhaps?). The fellow who did the bits of the TV show I saw sounded way too much like Guy Smiley to me.
    The one from the trailer did manage to get through "Holy jumping saints a plenty riding sidewise on a candy-pink fat-boy" admirably (if a little fast).

Max in the trailer isn't too bad (Neither of them are). The voice is less ummm 'rough', and a little more 'cudley' (lol, I don't think I'm very good at describing voices - compare the "Bonzai!!!" from the Freelance Police trailer with "I got it! I got it!" from this one) than Jamison's, but I don't know if that's good or bad.

When you guys announced neither of the previous pairs of actors were going to be playing the voices, I was expecting something far worse than what's in the trailer.
    It sounds to me like they're doing their best to imitate Farmer and Jamison's performance from Hit The Road, and on the whole, it's not too far off.

If these guys were to take on the roles permanently, I think they wouldn't be too hard to get used to, and maybe a little time in the characters might help as well (one and a half minutes isn't much for us to form an opinion on or them to get a feel for their characters).

On a side note, was the term "Lagomorph" around before Purcel (and Sam and Max) joined LucasArts?
  • edited May 2006
    See, I have the Floppy Disc version of Sam and Max. I never had voice acting. I did watch the cartoon, but I don't remember what they sounded like.

Wasn't there going to be alternate reality Sams and Maxes with the voices of the cartoon voice actors?
  • edited May 2006
    even if we DID get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, there are some people who would complain that we should be using Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler from the cartoon show...

Farmer and Jameson were just excellent, and it was the delivery that really made them perfect for the role. The Sam/Max banter was consistently casual, and they managed to say those ridiculous things without stuttering or laughing.

In terms of intonation, I agree that the current actors are attempting to imitate the voices from Hit The Road and not quite hitting the mark- the Max voice is closer though.

It might just be because whatever you see first seems the most right to you, but I always thought the voices in the television cartoon sounded wrong and miscast.

So...wait...were you implying there IS some chance of snagging Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson?
  • edited May 2006
    So...wait...were you implying there IS some chance of snagging Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson?

Because that would be awesome.
  • edited May 2006
    Can telltale reveal why they couldn't get the voices who did hit the road? considering they were able to get them for freelance police u would think they'd be available? If u asked the fans i'd say 90-95% would prefer the hit the road voices than the cartoon voices.. those guys absolutely killed it on the talkie version of sam and max... as far as the trailer.. i think max is okay.. sam is all wrong tho.. he has sort of got the sound of the voice down..but the delivery is all wrong.. it sounds like he's focusing more on gettin the sound right and is missing out on delivering the line right with the right comic intonations.. Either this guy needs to be recast or he has to start delivering the lines better than that..so they are funny.. just listen to the hit the road stuff to hear how its done..
  • edited May 2006
    I really see no glaring problems with the voices in the trailer. They may not be quite at the level of the Hit the Road guys, but I'm sure becoming comfortable with the characters, and, you know, speaking more than five lines or whatever each, will go a long way. Regardless of any quirks they may have I really see nothing so catastrophic that we need to petition Telltale to recast... In any event, if Telltale can't get, or don't want to use, the Hit the Road guys, I really hope we don't end up with soundalikes.
  • edited May 2006
    Ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Like most people I really want to see Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson do the voices. When I first saw the cartoon I didn't like it because the voices were different... I'd like to say that I got over it but I really didn't and it bugged me everytime I saw that cartoon. Anyway, it would be like doing a sequel to Day of the Tentacle and not having the same voice for the purple tentacle.
  • edited May 2006
    Bah, you guys are crazy, ok, let me clear this up.

Reason they dont have the voices from the video game?

Cause Nick Jameson is a big star now, appearing in "Lost" & "24" on TV, and a few upcoming movies.

Bill Farmer is still mainly doing random cartoons and video games, but come on, you cant have one without the other, it just wouldnt be as cool.

The voices from the TV series?

Harvey Atkin is playing a Judge on Law & Order, so he probably doesnt feel like being a 6 foot dog in a suit.

And Robert Tinkler is doing some random voice acting still, but just like with the point and click Sam & Max, you cant have one without the other.

So what about these new guys?

I think theyre fine. Max sounds perfect, like Max, no complaints at all. Sam sounds a little different from his previous incarnations, but he still sounds like he can deliver a good "You crack me up little buddy."

I mean, I can be honest, when I think Sam and Max, I think of the CD Rom Talkie version from Hit the Road, but dont let the voice of the characters hold you back from these games, I think its going to be great, and I think after you play a few episodes, youll forget about the voices ever sounding different cause you'll be too busy laughing at Max biting people and Sams sarcastic wit.

[Edit 2] Can we get the names of the guys in the trailer? I mean come on, its pretty obvious theyre doin the games, just tell us!
  • edited May 2006
    I have to agree with a few dissenting voices here in that I think the Sam in the trailer doesn't sound right. All the other successful Sams have had a naturally avuncular drawl, but this guy sounds more like he's putting it on, and it sounds too much like a deliberate comedy voice. To my mind, Bill Farmer's the perfect bet, and if Telltale haven't given a reason that they can't get him, I'd advise them to do so. He just nailed it. From him, I could even bear hearing 'I can't use these two things together' for the 600th time.

Max in the trailer's doing a fine job, though. But, I mean, if you got Bill, you might as well go for Nick... ;)
    edited May 2006

No.
  • edited May 2006
    The voices aren't too bad, really. The only thing I might suggest is that Sam's voice needs to be a little darker, and Max needs to sound a little more like the 1930's Daffy Duck on a mix of speed, PCP, and Crack. But, honestly, the voices are fine.

The script is where it's at, anyway. The lovely rapid banter of a dog and his lagomorphic rabbity thing.
  • edited May 2006
    Why can't a big star do voice acting for a game?

The Dig featured Robert Patrick (T2 fame).

Full Throttle had Mark Hamill (Star Wars).

The voice acting is a quality point to players (especially as an element throughout the entire gameplay). I don't see why you can't match the quality of a game made 13 years ago.

As for the TV actor argument, the connection is too weak. When people think about a Sam and Max video game, they're more likely to remember Hit the Road than the cartoon.

If you can't get the original actors, please include an option to turn the voices off. I would prefer reading subtitles.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm surprised to see that some people think max sounds right. I thought max was the weaker impersonation of the two. I have to agree with bigbrother if nothing can be done to get the proper actors then a subtitled option without the voices of sam and max might be some consolation.
  • edited May 2006
    Why can't a big star do voice acting for a game?

The Dig featured Robert Patrick (T2 fame).

Full Throttle had Mark Hamill (Star Wars).

The voice acting is a quality point to players (especially as an element throughout the entire gameplay). I don't see why you can't match the quality of a game made 13 years ago.

As for the TV actor argument, the connection is too weak. When people think about a Sam and Max video game, they're more likely to remember Hit the Road than the cartoon.

If you can't get the original actors, please include an option to turn the voices off. I would prefer reading subtitles.

The Dig and Full Throttle are both excellent games, and yes, Mark Hamill and Robert Patrick appear in those titles.

But theres one thing, both of them, are made by LUCASARTS!

They are owned by the owners of the Star Wars series, the Indiana Jones series, and about 10 years of successful video games releases prior. Meaning they have $$$$$.

TellTale, while Im sure theyre capable of creating awsome games, is still young, so they dont have alot of $$$$ yet, so thats why its BETTER if they go with un known voice actors, because then they dont have to pay them 90% of their game budget, and more money can goto the game design and writing, which is way better than having so and so do the voice of some one.

The games will be awsome guys, I have forseen it in my dreams.

Dont worry.
  • edited May 2006
    Once you replace the voices, it's impossible to win with everybody, or even with a majority. Even if Farmer and Jameson were in Purcell's mind the worst representation of the characters ever, the fact is that they're, in the minds of everyone who's played Hit the Road and to most Sam & Max fans, the only correct voices. I think the trailer's voices are good, and I'll admit that most of my problem with them is simply that they're not Farmer and Jameson. That's just unavoidable. I think there's room for improvement, too, so I'll be interested in seeing how Telltale handles it; it's up to them to decide which criticsms are helpful and which are just from people who can't be pleased. In the end Purcell will be approving whatever voices they pick, so in a way we really won't be able to say the voices aren't true to the characters and be correct.
  • edited May 2006
    As the voices stand, now they're not bad. Much better than I was expecting, but not perfect.

Max needs the most work, I reckon. The pitch seems right, but the voice is lacking the underlying sense of malice that Max needs. As someone noted above, he comes across as too *cuddly* presently. Max should sound as cuddly as a pillow-sack full of rusty knives.

Sam is pretty decent, actually. I don't have that big of a beef with his voice. It approximates the previous versions of the voice, but there's still something slightly off. Not quite sure what it is. Once again the pitch and whatnot seem pretty good, it's just the delivery that's a tad off.

If they were to fix Max's tone, and kept Sam's the same as in the current trailer, I would be happy with the end result.
  • edited May 2006
    So, around 1/3 of people who comment like the voices (albiet suggesting some tweaks to delivery), about 1/3 like Sam's and dislike Max's, and the other third like Max's and dislike Sam's.

Sounds about right...

Regarding Sam's deadpan delivery - it's a great Film Noir gumshoe voiceover nod. You guys ever watchd a Bogart flick? I like the monotone, and it also provides contrast to Max's asylum-inmate tone.
  • edited May 2006
    That's precisely the thing that I find wrong in the trailer - the film noirish monotone sound of Sam. If you read the comics or play Hit the Road, you'll see that Sam is a much more lively character than what he sounds in the trailer. The voice doesn't fit the profile, plain and simple.
    I'll give you an example. Can you imagine Sam, sounding like that, uttering this line (from the new webcomic): "They really need to liven up the scenery around here. A few well-placed circus chimps merrily capering alongside the road could save a life!"
    I for the life of it can't. I am afraid that it could ruin the whole experience. I'm not saying that it will, I'm just saying that it might. I wouldn't rely on that voice to deliver the goods.

EDIT1:
    For good contrast, you can watch the old trailer here. Pay attention to the liveliness here:
    Trailer of the cancelled Freelance Police

EDIT2:
    There's also been a hint of arrogance in Sam's character that is absent in the new incarnation. Both of the characters have been pretty ragged and uncivilised. I guess Max could use a bit of arrogance as well.
  • edited May 2006
    It's a different take on it than in Hit the Road, certainly, but I also think that the private eye sounding voice really does fit Sam.
  • edited May 2006
    That's precisely the thing that I find wrong in the trailer - the film noirish monotone sound of Sam. If you read the comics or play Hit the Road, you'll see that Sam is a much more lively character than what he sounds in the trailer. The voice doesn't fit the profile, plain and simple.
    I'll give you an example. Can you imagine Sam, sounding like that, uttering this line (from the new webcomic): "They really need to liven up the scenery around here. A few well-placed circus chimps merrily capering alongside the road could save a life!"

Actually, I can totally hear that. It almost sounds funnier with the deadpan. The film noir voice doesn't mean he's not lively. Just means he has a mannered way of speaking. And Sam does... he's very long-winded and dramatic. (Alongside sarcastic and slightly twisted, of course.)
  • edited May 2006
    Exxxxxxxactly!

Sam & Max are the creation of Steve Purcell, not of Farmer and Jameson. Really, I think his whole "the voice(s) must go" attitude is silly.

Anyway, as we've seen time and time again, Telltale do listen to the fanbase and make adjustments accordingly, so no doubt this is all being taken on board.
  • edited May 2006
    I for the life of it can't. I am afraid that it could ruin the whole experience. I'm not saying that it will, I'm just saying that it might. I wouldn't rely on that voice to deliver the goods.

EDIT1:
    For good contrast, you can watch the old trailer here. Pay attention to the liveliness here:
    Trailer of the cancelled Freelance Police

EDIT2:
    There's also been a hint of arrogance in Sam's character that is absent in the new incarnation. Both of the characters have been pretty ragged and uncivilised. I guess Max could use a bit of arrogance as well.

I completely agree with this.. the sound of the voice is fine.. I just dont think the way he's delivering the lines is right..
  • edited May 2006
    The Sam as canine Philip Marlowe angle is one I like. I particularly enjoy the delivery of "good thing I know a shortcut though the murky stuff of the human psyche. Careful not to get any on ya."
    . Can you imagine Sam, sounding like that, uttering this line (from the new webcomic): "They really need to liven up the scenery around here. A few well-placed circus chimps merrily capering alongside the road could save a life!"
    About the only thing seperating that from the Sam of the trailer is the exclamation mark, and I think that's more about making the joke work in text form. A more sardonic delivery would be more effective in audio, I think. Besides, Sam's definitely not constantly like that in the comics or Hit the Road, and we haven't heard Sam from the trailer called upon to speak a line like that yet. He may well be fine. Actors generally don't treat every line in exactly the same way.
  • edited May 2006
    I don't think the voices are bad. Sam sounds like a typical movie style detective and Max sounds like a Bunny with Attention Defecit Disorder. Obviously it would be all manner of kick ass if you guys could get the voice actors from the first game to do the game but otherwise I don't think they're too bad.

The only thing I found stuck out in the trailer was that the Desoto (or Sam and Max's car if you don't know what I'm talking about) is looking quite different. Call me picky but I liked the old one better. It was a character in its own right. It was in the comic and the game and possibly the show. Although I don't really know about the show. Because I barely remember anything about the show. The point is that although it seems like a small thing that left me feeling somewhat... how does one say annoyed but only slightly?
  • edited May 2006
    Come the Hell on. Those voices are pure rubbish. I really hope those were just throw-togethers for the trailer and not the actual VAs. They just sound WRONG.

The best thing Telltale could do would be to hunt down either Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, or Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, or some combination of the four. Maybe Farmer's Sam and Tinkler's Max.

Just, really, ANYTHING but the two from the trailer. Just no. I might be fickle, but I really have doubts about playing the game if those'll be the voices used. I'd have to turn off the voices, and while I played Hit The Road my first time without voices, I couldn't do it again.
  • edited May 2006
    Come the Hell on. Those voices are pure rubbish. I really hope those were just throw-togethers for the trailer and not the actual VAs. They just sound WRONG.

As the nice lass from TellTale asked, what is it that you don't like about the voices in the trailer?
    ("They just sound wrong" isn't very descriptive)
  • edited May 2006
    In Hit the Road, the voices made the game for me. Even though I read the comic before the game, Farmer and Jameson brought the characters to life and it can't be Sam and Max without them. While the actors didn't "create" the characters, the quality of their performances set certain expectations.

The cartoon is a different story (and to some extent, the comic), but the fact is that there was ALREADY a Sam and Max game made (an adventure game at that) and it will be the natural point of comparison. No game reviewer will play the Telltale SM and say it didn't stay true to the cartoon.

Hearing two guys imitating the original voices and reading classic lines doesn't do it for me. No sense of nostalgia here.
  • edited May 2006
    Farmer and Jameson brought the characters to life and it can't be Sam and Max without them.

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm really beginning to think that I'm one of the only people who really likes Sam's voice, as I said elsewhere, the voices could use a little more emotion (they're slightly flat) but aside from that, I thought Max was good but Sam was nearly perfect. After all, Sam is a very noir-ish detective, he's always come over that way. If you aren't as old as I am, Tex Murphy will do as a near simile.

The voice-actor for Sam does a damned good job of parodying noir and it amuses me greatly. It's very similar to the cartoon version, as I'd said before but perhaps with a little more noir thrown in.

I really don't think it's that bad, at all. In fact, as those voice actors get some more practice and more emotion into their lines, I think the voices will grow on people. That and I don't think simply being attached to previous names in an obsessive-compulsive way is going to be helpful in objectively viewing the new efforts.

After all, this is a new generation of Sam and Max, things change, one has to move on. To the detractors, try feeling your way through the voices as they are and point out what you don't like from a thespianic stance rather than comparing them to what was.
    edited May 2006
    I'm really beginning to think that I'm one of the only people who really likes Sam's voice, as I said elsewhere, the voices could use a little more emotion (they're slightly flat) but aside from that, I thought Max was good but Sam was nearly perfect.

You're not the only one (but you're one of the few who's being vocal about it on this forum ;)). I've seen a lot of comments on other forums, too... some who say Max is perfect but Sam isn't, and others who say Sam is spot on but Max needs work!
  • edited May 2006

I love how you clipped my quote mid-sentence. If you understood the context, you would know that I was talking about an opinion I formed from my personal experience with the original game. Making such a judgmental call only shows your ignorance.
    To the detractors, try feeling your way through the voices as they are and point out what you don't like from a thespianic stance rather than comparing them to what was.

You've got it backwards. It's the company's job to produce something that pleases me enough to part with my money. It's not my job to try to like what they make.

In the same way, this forum is to gather feedback from potential customers to make a better game. It is not a free service that Telltale has generously provided for people to praise their efforts.
  • edited May 2006
    This is my first post - I just had to make my opinions known since the original game is so dear to me.

The voices in the trailer definately lacked on the delivery side - Sam in particular sounded too monotonous. While I know he's supposed to sound quite film noire-ish, it doesn't sound natural or casual enough. Consider the delivery of a particular line from the original game: "I don't think the icepick will remove the cork". While it's certainly not a praticularly memorable line, the delivery is anything but monotanous. A whole game of the new guy's take on Sam could get irksome to sayt he least.

While I'm sure we can all appreciate the fact that securing the original voice actors isn't an option, I think Telltale should have no shame (or trouble) in finding voice actors who can immitate the originals almost flawslessly.

Why fix it if it ain't broken? Surely the best way to please fans is to give them what they want - and although not everyone is agreement, most of us want Sam & Max to sound like they did in the original game. When you consider that the majority of people who are interested in this game are huge fans of the first, surely it's a no-brainer?
  • edited May 2006

I love how you clipped my quote mid-sentence. If you understood the context, you would know that I was talking about an opinion I formed from my personal experience with the original game. Making such a judgmental call only shows your ignorance.

OK, here's your unclipped sentence;

"Even though I read the comic before the game, Farmer and Jameson brought the characters to life and it can't be Sam and Max without them."

My comment on that one sentence still stands.
  • edited May 2006
    You've got it backwards. It's the company's job to produce something that pleases me enough to part with my money. It's not my job to try to like what they make.

Either I have it backwards or you completely missed the point I was trying to make. Both are viable viewpoints depending on how my post is interpreted.
    In the same way, this forum is to gather feedback from potential customers to make a better game. It is not a free service that Telltale has generously provided for people to praise their efforts.

Er, right. Now see, this is precisely the point I was making.

Referring back to what I said (the exact quote) ...

"To the detractors, try feeling your way through the voices as they are and point out what you don't like from a thespianic stance rather than comparing them to what was."

By this I mean that instead of detracting through comparison, you should provide constructive criticism by objectively, clearly and concisely detailing what it is you dislike about the voices. Taking the voices in comparison to previous efforts isn't going to get us anywhere because we're never going to get the original voice actors back, that's written in stone.

So why don't we do something positive and think on how we can help the current voice actors become better instead?

My take on this was that I think they could use more punch. There were areas where certain quotes just didn't feel punctuated enough. Like the candy-pink fatboy comment. It lacked a little oomph. Now I think that if lines like that were provided with a little more fervour, then it'd be good.

That's how I'm providing constructive criticism in regards to the voices.

Now then, what don't you like?
    some who say Max is perfect but Sam isn't, and others who say Sam is spot on but Max needs work!

Yup! That's why we need more folks saying what they do and don't like about the current voices in my opinion. Anything else is just superfluous.

-- Edit --

In addition to what I've said about the voices, with Sam's delivery, I think his voice could've been a little more snarky about how he was now episodic. What might help (I don't know, I have no idea about how these things work) is prompting the voice actors with emotion queues. Perhaps that will be done in the final game and for the trailer, they just read out some lines without (augh, the cliché) knowing their particular motivations. That I can understand.
  • edited May 2006
    I didn't knew that they were changed and I liked them. I read that the actors been changed and listened the trailer again, still, i think they work very well.

Especially on the green twirl they sound authentic for the characters. Sam has this a bit blues a like sound and Max has it's furry high (but not too high) pitched sound that expected. Very well.
  • edited May 2006
    I need to chime in. My problem with the voices is that they sounded detatched from the characters and the action. It was really an issue of timing for me, their interplay seemed to lag, or jump the gun. It was missing the "beat". Like they weren't in the same room together. Those two actors need to go out on a roadtrip and bond over lizard tails and dune buggies, something, anything to develop a bond. Were they funny at the table read? I can't imagine so.

The voices they chose sound fine. Maybe Sam is a bit too over-the-top but it works.
    but PLEASE, find that comic beat, which with S&M is actually quite OFF-beat.
  • edited May 2006
    Don't want to post-whore here but good one Boo, that's precisely what I was seeing, I took it as more of an emotion thing than a timing thing but it just might be the timing. It did seem that they were just reading it off and not really acting and I think that's my only problem. I think the accents and the voices are bloody perfect. That's why I know ith more work they'll get better.

Heh, anyway, good job at providing a good example of constructive criticism.
  • edited May 2006
    Those two actors need to go out on a roadtrip and bond over lizard tails and dune buggies, something, anything to develop a bond.

Now that I listened it again, and i must admit that the timing is wrong, they drop out the lines a bit too late after another or something... but could you say that it is improved in the end?

"Shall we trash the place Sam? -Can't think of a reason not to" looks like that line is only one which feels right. Also the last lines are much better in overall from the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.