the voices need to go

124»

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Linque, you are wrong. Go hit yourself with a piece of steel.
  • edited June 2006
    Done. b-(
  • edited June 2006
    Done. b-(

:D

Your self-depricating humour goes a long way in warming my icy heart.
  • edited June 2006

What about your flaming heart of eternal vengance?
  • edited June 2006
    I signed up just to agree with the original poster

After watching the trailer, I feel like the new voices lack inspiration and feeling. Maybe the voice actors can warm up and do a better job, but I just wasn't feeling it

Also, hopefully it was just because it was a teaser, but it felt really empty and dull. From what I remember of the old game, it was full of colorful and all kinds of objects

I love Sam and Max, and I'll be ordering the first episode no doubt, I just hope it pleases me
  • edited June 2006

What about your flaming heart of eternal vengance?

Yes, yes, I like that too. Add a bit of spice and curry, mix well, drop in 2 eggs and stir until dissolved. Heat for approx. 5 - 10 mins of FULL, look at, make funny noise, return to heat source for at least another 15 days, remove from cover and laugh like a weasel. Serve cold.
  • edited June 2006
    Just to put my two hundreths of a U.S. dollar here (convert to your currency as necessary), I like Max's voice. That seems to be the closer of the two in comparison to HTR and the TV episodes.

Sam's, however, seems dull and unlively. It doesn't have the nasal yet joyfully sardonic tone and inflection of HTR and TV series. Even the "Can't think of a reason not to" sounds unenthusiastic as though he's simply reading a line, not actually trying to speak the voice.

I don't think that it will ruin the game for me, but it will take some adjustment. I will admit, however, that he has some pretty big shoes to fill. We'll see.
  • edited June 2006
    It is good to know that I am not alone on this one and that telltale has seen the vast response to the topic. I believe that this friendly push will help to make a great game even better.

ps: On a side note, does telltale have any other voice samples laying around we could listen to? Maybe we could give our feedback to see if they are any better. It will tough to find voices that work for everyone though...... hmmmm How about we have a bunch of samples and we could vote on which ones sound most like sam and max... just a thought.
  • edited August 2006
    I'm not sure Telltale would want any more feedback from us regarding the voices :))
  • edited August 2006
    I agree that the voices arent quite right yet, but give them some time. Its big shoes that they are trying to fill, and once they settle in I believe that they will do us all proud. Its more of a case they need to get to 'own' their characters, then they will get back to their zaney old selves :)
  • edited August 2006
    You did notice this thread has practically been dead for the past 2 months already, didn't you? :)
  • edited September 2006
    Maybe Sam & Mac should just mime everything instead?
  • edited September 2006
    I'm going for the text version myself.

Jokes.
  • edited September 2006
    the voices have no... soul.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    These forums have no soul.
  • edited September 2006
    The world is devoid of any soul.
  • edited September 2006
    My shoes both have a sole.
  • edited September 2006
    why wont this thread just.... dieeeee!!
  • edited September 2006
    This thread is an intricate plot from Nigel the Hook to get rid of Sam & Max once and for all!
  • edited September 2006
    The voices aren't that bad!!! Farmer and Jameson are still my favourite actors, that doesn't mean the new ones suck! They're fine, go on this way, Telltale!!! ;)
  • edited September 2006
    why wont this thread just.... dieeeee!!

It's people like us that keep it alive.
  • edited September 2006
    Just to put my two hundreths of a U.S. dollar here (convert to your currency as necessary), I like Max's voice. That seems to be the closer of the two in comparison to HTR and the TV episodes.

Sam's, however, seems dull and unlively. It doesn't have the nasal yet joyfully sardonic tone and inflection of HTR and TV series. Even the "Can't think of a reason not to" sounds unenthusiastic as though he's simply reading a line, not actually trying to speak the voice.

I have to agree. I don't know if it's the voice itself, or the combination of voice and face (voice to serious/inexpressive witha a too friendly/smiling face), but definetly there's something lacking in there.
  • edited September 2006
    PS: Can we make polls in this forums?
  • edited September 2006
    This thread is still going strong? Far out, it's like some never ending beast attempting to eat all the other posts belonging to all the other threads in this forum. Come on guys, the other threads are hungry too! This one is old and fat. It needs no more.
  • edited September 2006
    Sorry to disappoint you but it isn't going that strong really. Mostly it's been re-animated on behalf of new people arriving to these mighty forums. Which is actually good news, now that I think of it!
  • edited September 2006
    Sorry to disappoint you but it isn't going that strong really. Mostly it's been re-animated on behalf of new people arriving to these mighty forums. Which is actually good news, now that I think of it!

Indeed. I know I didn't say anything that hadn't been said before, but I wanted to give another vote to the "cause" anyway.
  • edited September 2006

Ah. See what important information you miss when you don't visit these forums for a few months. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll kill you.
  • edited September 2006
    Woah. Don't wanna fool you. Especially not 3 times.

Sapafrachkin.
  • edited September 2006
    Uh oh. I really don't want to jump on the Damn The Voices bandwagon, but the new videos... the actors definitely have the ability, but Sam sure is soft and under-emotional while partnered with an extra high and squeaky Max. I'm not expecting the exact voices of HTR or the show, I'm flexible enough for that, but changes are really in order. Sam just lacks any kind of energy and Max comes out as annoying on more than a few lines, which is a shame as the dialogue I've heard so far is actually hilarious.

Closer Analysis:

Blog video 1: Pretty good. Sam's voice lulls into the deeper gruff undertones a few times, which sounds excellent, although a bit more would be nice. Max's voice is also good, although when he slides into the squeakier higher octaves it becomes occasionally irksome.

Blog video 2: Starts out pretty good, but Sam's "How about an autograph for my pal" is far too soft and nowhere near gruff enough. Max's "You can sign my butt!" is very excitable and squeaky, but thankfully the hilarious "Make it out to Squinky" line covers for it by eliciting some real laughter.

Blog video 3: This is the one that gets me, and also the one I watched first, which is probably why the others sounded better after I rewatched them with video 3 out of my head. First off, I'd just like to say that the crashing sound effects are really soft, not all that well timed, and don't seem to appear a few times. They're just not all that exciting. Also, I really hope that you're not forced to replay and replay the driving sequences in order to buy from Bosco. I'm fine playing them while there are still new dialogue options and such to try, but once it becomes rehashed, I'll lose interest fast.
    Anyway, the first line to critique is Sam's "Hello. Know why we stopped you?" He sounds far to calm, nice, and un-gritty it hurts. Sam's remaining lines are alright, but still not spot on, but he kills it with the final "Tata." This suffers the same problem as his greeting, and the two make painful bookends to an otherwise acceptable delivery of well written lines.

Gamespot Video 1: Ah, here it gets good. Sam's voice is softer but not unemotional, and Max's is an enjoyable new take on the character. No excessively high squeaking here! Also, I love Bosco's voice, although his skin seems a little freakishly grey for my tastes. Maybe it's shadows, maybe it's art direction, but it's not my number one part of the video. It's not an actual problem, though, so great job on this scene! :D

Gamespot Video 2: Sam's voice is of the same caliber as GSV1, and by that I mean it's not as gruff as I might like, but almost puts a more intelligent and equally likeable spin on Sam's character. Sadly, Max's voice gets into the higher tones again, especially with "I'll do it!" and "I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did!" Seriously, the second one has hints of grandma in there. Don't ask me how, but that's what I thought of.

Complaints aside, the game looks great (although I still have concerns about the driving sequences), hilarious, and the voices for all the new characters are all spot on. I just hope that the voice actors will be working on editing the voices a little for the next time round. In fact, I might say I preferred the voices in the trailer... Max's was definitely less squeaky (sorry that I say that so much, that's all I can think of), although Sam's has gone from trying to ape the HTR voice to being its own unique entitiy, which I appreciate.

On the whole, high fives [=D>] for Telltale! You guys are doing a great job, and here's hoping that some parts of the voices will be fine tuned before the second episode. Hell, it might already be fixed for the first one, I notice that I mainly only had problems with the older videos.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    While I admire everyone's tenacity, I think this thread has run its course.

Go watch the new gameplay videos, gaze at the image of Max behind the world, and revel in the Sam & Maxiness of it all. And if you *really* want to pick apart the voice actors after you've done that... well, start a new thread then. :D
This discussion has been closed.