Do you actually hate escape, or...?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    This is probably the biggest problem, at least for me. It makes no sense that the Captain's log, the dead body, the ship debris, would all be fake in the first game?! All these things that the player was rewarded in discovering.

Short Off-Topic: I can't really remember when this happened in MI1. I know the game inside-out, yet can't remember this bit. What Body? Where? What captain's log? What ship debris? Pretty please explain it (in short) to an oooold amnesic 20yo. :p (that's me). And how was the player rewarded?
  • edited June 2009
    Short Off-Topic: I can't really remember when this happened in MI1. I know the game inside-out, yet can't remember this bit. What Body? Where? What captain's log? What ship debris? Pretty please explain it (in short) to an oooold amnesic 20yo. :p (that's me). And how was the player rewarded?

Check the spoiler-tag below:
    Captain's log that Guybrush finds in the ship during the voyage. The body was hanged in a grove, don't know about the debris, can't remember that either ;)

It was rewarding to find such a backstory to why Herman Toothrot was there, and to get a backstory to Monkey Island, so it wasn't so empty. We lose that when the drastic revision of events occurs in MI4.
  • edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2tcsn4sMm8&feature=PlayList&p=BE60E6CC9B74CFFF&index=16/[URL]

About 3:55 is the dead man. And the video before I think has the captain's log stuff on it.[/url]
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't like the themes/locations, or the way it tried to summarise all of the loose plot points, but other than that the game was pretty good. I guess I'm mostly indifferent, since it's the weakest game in the series.
  • edited June 2009
    Escape was actually my first Monkey Island I played, of course makes more sense if you play the others but I found it hilarious, I think ive only ever played the game twice ever and you know I think the game gets way too much critiscm. It wasn’t going to match #3 but I think its definatley a worthwhile game, would have been better without Monkey Kombat though but hell I enjoyed playing it, play it with no expectation and it being your first awesome, how it would stand up now if I replayed it, well I should replay it at some point and decide but it still gets way too much hate
  • edited June 2009
    the story on escape from monkey island was so stretched an australian land developer. monkey fighting whats was the other thing ,church lava lug flume ride? i dont ever remember lechuck even being in it what was lechuck a haunted statue??:confused:
  • edited June 2009
    I enjoyed it, but the MK was irratating
  • edited June 2009
    Escape is fantastic if you don't think of it as a Monkey Island game.

I loved the characters, the humour and the puzzles.. not so much the story or visuals, though. The main problem is that it didn't have nearly as much of the lovable piratey-ness we're all used to from Monkey Island games. I know that was kind of the point of the game's story, but it still felt substandard when compared to the swashbuckling joviality of its predecessors.

EDIT: Oh, and Monkey Kombat was bollocks.
  • edited June 2009
    I've only played Curse of and Escape from and I gotta say that I liked Curse better. But I also liked this one quite a lot :)
  • edited June 2009
    I don't exactly dislike it, it just fails in comparison to some of the other games (MI series, Grim Fandango, and most of the other adventure games I could name). It brought about too much discontinuity in the story line and brought the series down. On it's own right, it's a decent game, but when it's part of a series, it's just sad.
  • edited June 2009
    I really didn't like. It is a great adventure game but it just isn't Monkey Island!! It didn't feel like Monkey Island (Even the fan game "Fate of Monkey Island" that LEC took down had much more Monkey Island-feel than this ...thing)... Lacked originality ("ok guys! so, since this is the caribbean we can make a huge pun about tourist resorts and land development!" like we didnt hear this one before.. Besides, Monkey Island is about swashbuckng fun, and this completely killed the illusion, the immersion); HATED the zombie version of LeChuck, Monkey Kombat... Im not even going to say anyhing about it, Herman being Grandpa Marley: huge plot error; Ozzie Mandril is a lame excuse for a villain (he just doesn't have the charisma of LeChuck or Largo) and above all: I swear (it's true) I almost took the CD out of drive, uninstall, sell my copy and pretend this was all just a terrible nightmare when I saw the giant robot!! There's a couple other things, but it's been so long I forgot them. Like I said: It's a Great Adventure Game!! The problem is that it's not Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    Okay, I just replayed and completed EFMI for the first time since it's release in 2000, so it's been almost nine years.

Originally, I disliked it quite a bit. I still don't favor it over any of the other titles in the entire Monkey Island series, but it's better than I remember it being and I feel it fits in the series just fine. The Monkey Kombat action sequences are debatable as far as if they belong, but they're not terrible either.

Sure, some things with the plot are strange.. but I guess over the last nine years, I've gotten over it and can accept EFMI as it is. The fourth Monkey Island. It probably helps a bit now that EFMI is not the last Monkey Island game, ever, as it was starting to feel like these last few years. EFMI will probably always be my least favorite of the Monkey Island games, BUT I will always love it for being a Monkey Island game, which despite what others may say, it is and always shall be.
  • edited June 2009
    Escape was my most favourite of the Monkey Island games. Mainly because it was the first Monkey Island game I ever played but other han that it was the best. The only thing that I hated about it was the Monkey Kombat.
    I mean wouldn't mind if Monkey Kombat was brought back for another MI game but only if the way to control it was maybe a bit different.

I just can't see what's wrong with it. The graphics seemed alright for it's time. The story went quite deep and had some quite good jokes.
    Like when Guybrush asked Deadeye Dave if he was blind or if the two eyepatches was just a new pirate incentive :D
    Or when Guybrush was spying on Ozzie and referenced to Elmur Fudd :D

Another thing about the plot holes, WHO CARES! Many franchises have had many plot holes and have still become successful. Take Family Guy for instance.

So over than that, Escape was like one of Guybrush's fiercest adventures with a quite good storyline with an interesting revelation.

So I loved Escape from Monkey Island in the entire series.
  • edited June 2009
    I first played Curse, then Secret and LeChucks Revenge, Escape wasn't out then, so I replayed these games back to front so many times that the story and history was burnt into my mind. That's the main reason I don't like Escape at all, it just seems like someone tore up the past and it fell on the ground to make its own story, and the more I played the game, it just seemed to me, the worse it got and more history was being wrecked, Ozzie was an interesting character, but he shouldn't of been the main bad guy. Reducing LeChuck to a mere servant just seemed wrong. The H.T. Marley issue was just wrong and Monkey Island felt soo much smaller in Escape, then we have the odd things which were meant to be jokes but just felt out of place, like the Lava Log Flume ride on Monkey Island. And of course, Monkey Kombat, to me that's just a bad dream, haha.
  • edited June 2009
    I think it is a great game.
  • edited June 2009
    Enjoyed it but it was by far the weakest in the series and had a few big problems, like the controls and Monkey Kombat (sucked).
  • edited June 2009

The Captain's Log on the Sea Monkey, when Guybrush is trying to get to Monkey Island. Remember all the notes you picked up around the Monkey Island, too? Also the body that hung himself?
  • edited June 2009
    Escape from Monkey Island = Superman IV. The same old characters are all there, but it's just not right.

Whoever decided that that control system was the way forward should have been tarred and feathered, made to walk the plank then stuck in a bucket of chicken grease. I still can't believe they went from the elegant CoMI "coin" interface to this travesty, just so they could port it to the Playstation 2.

:mad:
  • edited June 2009
    there were a lot of games with a traditional point and click interface that were ported to other consoles without any changes in interface (broken sword, diskworld, myst, etc and others). i still dont get what the problem people had with the interface but i wont say anything because i still prefered the old one.

and superman iv was the only superman film i liked :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.