The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• So apparently it cut off the rest of this chapter, so give me a moment to finish it. Again. For the second time.

mr.quality posted: »

Katie DiCanto "Volpe, target en route. T minus 20." The radio said. Katie checked through her scope once more to make sure the area was c

• "Waterboarding, so old school. Let's try something new and exiting, like this." The man said as he pulled something out of his pocket, a needle with a strange yellow fluid in it. He waved it in front of Katie's face. "This is a chemically engineered biotoxin. It will attack your motor system meaning you won't be able to move, or fight back." He said as he jabbed it deep into Katie's neck causing her to let out a yelp of pain as almost instantly she lost feeling in her arms and legs. He then went on to untie her from the chair and push her to the floor.

"Now get up." He said. Katie tried to move but couldn't feel anything. "I said get up." The man laughed as he kicked Katie in the ribs with his boot causing the muted pain to flare up. He then picked her up her arms and slammed her onto the table facing him. "Grab her arm." He said and the woman walked over and held Katie's arms tightly so she wouldn't slip off the table.

"What are you doing? Just let me go! Please!" Katie pleaded.

"Look, I know you don't know anything about the Feds or Resistance since you were a lone wolf. So you're useless for information, but damn you have a nice body. So I think we deserve some fun before we cut the rope." The man said as he pulled off Katie's pants then went to work getting his belt off as the woman fancied groping Katie's breasts. Katie called out for help even though she knew no one would come.

"Shh, give up the fight and let it happen." The woman said as she forcefully kissed her then went back to taking off her bra as slowly as possible. Katie began to sob as the man began to take off her underclothing, but just before her got it the door busted open and multiple armed men came in, they fired killing the man and women. The man in the front of the group walked forward taking out a blanket to cover her half naked body.

"Medic! Get over here." He called and another man came from the group carrying a satchel. "She's BioTox. They got her." He said.

"How long ago were you injected?" The medic asked. But Katie didn't answer. "Miss?"

"Huh? Uh... Uh... Maybe f-five or six minutes ago." Katie stuttered still tripping on what just happened.

"That's good we can still reverse this, but we have to move quick." The medic said as he pulled out a needle and a small vial with a clear liquid in it. "Watch the door." He ordered. The man stood and joined the group at the door. "This might hurt a little." He said as he gingerly entered the needle into Katie's arm and released it's contents. Almost instantly Katie noticed feeling returning to her arms and legs, but it didn't feel good. Her head began to throb again, her ribs felt like hell was having a rave party in them and her hand felt like it wanted to just crawl in a hole a die. Katie grabbed her ribs out of reflex as the pain intensified.

"Any time now, Denver." One of the men at the door said.

"Her ribs are broken and her hand is shattered. She probably has a concussion." The one named Denver said. "Let me get her pants on her and we'll take her back to camp." He said as he picked up Katie's jeans from the floor, and helped her to get them on. "Uh, where is your shirt?" Denver asked.

"I don't know. I woke up in this room with out it." Katie said maniacally as tears began coming down.

"Hey, calm down. were the good guys." Denver said as he took off his jacket. "Take my jacket, its to cold to go outside in a bra like that." He said. Katie took the jacket and with Denver's help put it on. "Were good to go." Denver said as he picked up Katie.

"I-I can walk." Katie stuttered,

"No. You can't." Denver said. "So, would you mind telling me how you got captured?" He asked, and after Katie began crying again he caught himself. "Never mind, it's none of my business." He said.

Now

"Hold the perimeter." Katie said as she walked to the back of the van. Everyone else surrounded the van and checked the treeline as Katie slung her rifle over her shoulder and grabbed the handle to open the back. But as soon as she opened it a man jumped out at her holding a knife. Katie didn't have enough time to get out of the way and the knife caught her, burring deep into her arm. She sank to the ground with a scream with the knife still in her arm. She head a gunshot and watched as the man fell dead. Denver was the first one to come to her aid. He looked at the wound.

"Are you alright?" Denver asked.

"I'm fine." Katie lied, ignoring the pain. "Smith said there was no one in the back of the van."

"That was Smith." Denver said, looking at the dead man. "Fucking coward. This is going to hurt." Denver said as he grabbed the knife and pulled it out, Katie yelping in pain. He pulled out some old rags and wrapped the wound. "We'll get you fixed up right when we get back to camp." He said. "but first, you wanted first look inside the van." He said holding out his hand to her. She brushed it off and stood up on her own. Holding her right arm in pain, she opened the van's door again and looked around. Everything they wanted. Medicine, ammo, guns. But that's not what caught her eye, she spotted a tan folder with "Classified" written on it. She grabbed it and flipped it open. It was a kill order. For her. Her bio was in there, everything about her that they knew was compiled in here.

"What did you find?" Denver asked. Katie looked at the folder. Did she want them to know who she used to be? About her family? Would they make fun of her because she was a nerd?

Choice

[Give Denver the folder]

[Hide the folder]

• yes, yes it does.

I know that feeling, that sucks

• I just had to rewrite it three times, but i got it finished.

Tell me about it, that happens 50% of the time with me mainly of my crappy PC. I would suggest saving your work more often, it can save you some trouble.

• This was a seriously great chapter! I'm not only saying this because of Katie, but also because it was among the best-written in the whole story so far and I enjoyed it a lot! Katie was great of course and I really liked these scenes from her backstory. And the present day storyline sounds exciting, I'm looking forward for more :D

So apparently it cut off the rest of this chapter, so give me a moment to finish it. Again. For the second time.

Ah, the post-length limit can be a bitch. Everything below 19500 letters should be perfectly fine, while everything above 19700 letters is going to be cut off for sure. It might also have something to do with how long your post is in general.

[Give Denver the folder]

I guess she can take a bit of mocking. As for her past, Denver does not seem to be the kind of guy who would start to make inappropriate comments about this. Besides, if the Network is out to kill her, this might be important.

"Waterboarding, so old school. Let's try something new and exiting, like this." The man said as he pulled something out of his pocket, a nee

• Thank you Liquid! I actually had a lot of fun writing this chapter, other than having to rewrite it multiple times!

This was a seriously great chapter! I'm not only saying this because of Katie, but also because it was among the best-written in the whole s

• [Give Denver the folder] seems like a good idea. For now at least

"Waterboarding, so old school. Let's try something new and exiting, like this." The man said as he pulled something out of his pocket, a nee

• [Give Denver the folder]

• Katie DiCanto

Katie looked at Denver for a moment and looked back at the folder.

"Here." She said with a sigh as she handed him the folder. "But this stays between you and me only." Denver took the folder and nodded as he put it in his pack.

"Come on out of there and sit down before you hurt yourself more." Denver told her.

"No, I'm fine. I can still move." Katie said.

"Sure, you can still move. But I can tell by the look on your face that you're very light headed and in a lot of pain." Denver said.

"You can tell that from a look on someone's face?" Katie asked.

"No. Now come on." Denver said, extending his arm to help her out of the van. Katie brushed him off as she stepped out on her own and nearly fell, but Denver caught her. "Easy there." He said as he helped her walk over to a bench and sit down. "Let me look at the wound again." Denver said.

"You have better things to do than to waste your time on me." Katie said.

"I wasn't asking." Denver said as he unwrapped the rags which were now soaked in blood. "I'm going to have to take off your jacket to get a better look." He said. Katie unzipped her camouflaged jacket and slowly took it off, as to not agitate her wounded arm. Once it was off Denver looked at the wound closer. "This might be worse than I thought." He said.

"Why? What happened?" Katie asked.

"I think he hit an artery." Denver said. "You're loosing blood way to fast. Its also squirting blood out."

"Which means?" Katie asked a little frightened but able to keep a calm tone in her voice.

"You could die if you don't get some help." He said as he placed the medical bag on the ground, and took something out. "Just like old times, huh?" He said.

"I'd rather not be reminded of that." Katie said.

"Hold still." Denver said as he tied something around her arm above the cut. It was a tourniquet. He then pulled out some new rags and tied them around the wound as Katie winced in pain. "Keep pressure on that. I'll be right back." Denver said as he stood up and walked back towards the van. Katie could already feel the blood soaking through the bandages and beginning to stain her hand. She saw black spots begin to dance in her vision as everything grew darker around her. She tried to fight it off but to no avail.

"Katie?" Denver's far off voice called. "Shit, Katie!" Was the last thing she heard before slipping off.

Samu Kuusi

"So, what are the odds we win this thing sir?" The cadet asked.

"I won't lie. It's next to none." Samu said. The sun now was beginning to set as the loud explosion off the bridge went off. From up here on top the building he was on he could see the mighty bridge sink into the water below.

"The bridge is clear sir." The radio said.

"Acknowledged." Samu said as he turned to the cadet. "They need you down there. Your no use to anyone up here." He said.

"Yes sir." The cadet said as he fled down the stairs. Samu was now alone on the roof with only his rifle.

"A little harsh on the cadet, don't you think?" A new voice said. Samu turned slightly to see who it was.

"For fuck's sake don't sneak up on someone like that." Samu said.

"Is everyone from California like that?" Arile asked.

"Pretty much. It's an unwritten rule that you don't sneak up behind someone, especially if they have a loaded gun." Samu said. "What are you even doing out here? You should be inside." Samu said.

"You worry to much. I can do whatever I want." Arile said.

"So I've noticed. But still, you're high command of the resistance in New York. Have you even stopped to think of what they would do to you if they found you out here?" Samu asked.

"That's why I have this." Arile said as she pulled a small capsule out. "cyanide, enough to kill three grown men. One small bite, and they won't even get a word from me." She said.

"How about we don't take that risk and you stay inside like you're supposed to." Samu said.

"Why do you care so much about what happens to me? It's not because..." She began and eyed Samu. "Look, that was a one time thing. It was fun and all, but in a world like this it's bad to get attached too anyone. You never know who's going to die next." Arile said.

"It's not about that." Samu said.

"Sure it isn't. You think I'm all yours and no one else's. I really don't know how much wronger that could get." Arile said.

"Arile, just stop alright. Were going to have plenty of time to fight soon enough. If I die, big whoop. Who's going to care? But if you die, everything's going to fall apart. These men and women, they trust you. They believe in you. They only see me as some privileged ass hole from Cali." Samu said. Arile let out a slight huff of annoyance and walked away back into the building. Just as the door closed Samu saw a flare shooting up into the sky and bursting into a ball of bright light.

"This is it. Get ready." Samu said. He heard a far off whistling sound and watched as the road below him blew up. All around him the streets were just being bombarded with artillery fire. But it seemed as none of the positions had been hit yet. And they had to run out eventually. Samu peered through his rifle across the water to the other side. He saw multiple artillery guns continually blasting away and seemingly random targets. But they seemed to be stationed near some explosive materials. If he could make the shot, he could probably blow all of them sky high. But it was a long shot, and he might give away his position. But if everyone was dead, then who would tell anyone where his position was?

Choice

[Take the shot]

[Don't take the shot]

• Great part! I loved Katie's PoV again, Denver is definitely a cool guy. And Samu was very interesting as always!

[Take the shot]

It's worth a try. While all of these artillery guns are shooting, who's going to watch for a single sniper?

Katie DiCanto Katie looked at Denver for a moment and looked back at the folder. "Here." She said with a sigh as she handed him the fo

• Thanks Liquid!

Great part! I loved Katie's PoV again, Denver is definitely a cool guy. And Samu was very interesting as always! [Take the shot] It's worth a try. While all of these artillery guns are shooting, who's going to watch for a single sniper?

• [Take the shot]

Awesome part!

Katie DiCanto Katie looked at Denver for a moment and looked back at the folder. "Here." She said with a sigh as she handed him the fo

• [Don't take the shot]

• Thank you!!

finlander posted: »

[Take the shot] Awesome part!

• [Take the shot]

• Katie Dicanto

A radio sat in the corner of the room. It was to dark to see in here, but she could tell it was there because of the static it was producing. She thought of getting up and turning it off but decided against stumbling around in the dark to find an annoying radio.

"You will find your answer at the heart of it all." The radio radio suddenly crackled.

"What the?" Katie asked.

The radio crackled something else inaudiable . Now Katie stood to find the radio, she was surprised to find her arm no longer even hurt. As she neared the radio she heard a creaking sound. She looked back and saw the door the room fly open. A bright light filled the room as she squinted her eyes.

"Katie?" A voice asked. Katie opened her eyes to find Denver standing next to her.

"What the hell? What happened?" Katie asked, taking note of her new surroundings. A wooden cabin, with the only light coming from a fire burning in the hearth.

"You passed out from blood loss. We thought we lost you." Denver said.

"Where is this place?" Katie asked.

"A cabin. We found it in the woods and thought we would stop and stay." Denver said.

"Where is everyone else?" Katie asked.

"In other rooms. It's like one in the morning Katie." Denver said.

"I've been out that long?" Katie asked.

"Yes. You have. You scared the shit out of everyone. We started thinking we would have to dig another grave." Denver said then he looked off into the fire. "I know how it feels you know." He said eventually.

"What?" Katie asked.

"To loose someone." He said pulling out the tan folder from earlier. "I read it all. Backwards and forwards. You really had it rough didn't you?" He asked, pausing.

"What's you point?" Katie asked.

"I don't have a point. I though I should just tell you, I lost my entire family. My mom, dad, wife and two kids. All of the dead. They were right behind me when the bomb went of in Dayton." Denver said. Katie could see a tear forming at his eye, but he wiped it away. He stood an walked towards the fire, trowing the folder in.

"Why'd you do that?" Katie asked.

"I promised you I wouldn't let anyone else know." Denver said. "Now lay back so I can look at that bandage."

Jack Hunter, Six months ago

"What the hell is happening?" A man asked as he ran past. Jack sighed as he looked down at the street. He could feel his revolver tucked inside his combat pants. He began walking, his boots thudding when they hit the ground. He knew he wouldn't get far.

"Don't fucking move American." A voice called from behind him. Jack turned around and saw a group of the with guns train on him.

"What took you guys so long? I was starting to think you weren't coming." Jack said.

"Who the hell are you?" The man asked.

"Jack Hunter, Network official." Jack said.

Three months later

The room was dark, barley any light coming in. Just how he wanted it. It had been three months but he still wasn't over it. Not yet. The door opened and a woman stepped in. His wife.

"Jack, you need to come out of here. It's not good for you to stay locked up like this." She said.

"I don't want to come out." Jack said.

"Jack, It's been three months since the kids died. I think it's time to move on." She said.

"'The kids'? They had names you know." Jack said.

"I know." She said. The door burst open again and a man walked in.

"Sir, command has sent orders to us. They want us to march on Washington." The man said.

"Of course they do. You know how much land there is between here and there?" Jack asked a little agrivated.

"There's only on thing though. A small town between us and D.C. It's called Mount Vernon. It's allied with the Feds." He said.

"Then we kill them and burn the place." Jack said.

"But sir, it's mostly civilians." The man said.

"Do you have a problem with following my orders?" Jack asked.

"No sir." The man said. "I'll tell the men to get ready to move." He said as he left the room.

"Who have you become?" His wife asked..... Who had he become?

One month later

"Were ready to attack." Briggs said.

"HQ, this is Hunter. Requesting the all clear to completely level the town of Mount Vernon." Jack said into the radio.

"This is HQ, permission is a go. Do put on a good show." The man on the other end said.

"Let's get this on the road. I want to be at D.C. In time for lunch with the president." Jack said. He was angered at the slow movement of his troop. They had gotten pinned down at one point by feds for about a week, but they ended up alright. Then the wounded were slowing them down. One thing after another. Now the only thing between him and D.C was crappy old Mount Vernon Virginia. He suddenly heard some sirens go off.

"What is that noise?" Jack asked.

"They know were here." Briggs said.

"No sense in doing this quietly then. Que the mortars. I'm going in." Jack said.

"Yes sir." Briggs said as he ran off. Jack turned to his group.

"Lets go then." Jack said as they ran off towards the town.

Jack found himself at the end of a road staring towards the middle of town.

"What are we doing here? The real fights going on like two blocks from here." A solider said.

"Were doing our job. Keep your eyes open." Jack responded as he searched the area. He held his revolver in his hand. "Wait. Right there." Jack said, as he motioned towards a building. "Someone's behind there. Get your guns ready." Ho ordered. The men raised their guns and waited, moments later gunfire came from behind the corner and a girl ran across the street. The men quickly opened fire, but seemed to not hit her as she dissipated behind the edge of the street. The men kept firing until Jack ordered them to stop.

"Keep your eyes open. There's more back there." He said. And sure enough a young girl and an older girl ran across the street. Jack was the first to react. He raised his gun, not on the older one. But the younger one. On flex of the finger later and the girl fell face down into the street. One of the soldiers got over exited and ran out into the street to get a better look. He kept his gun trained on the girl as if a bullet to the head wasn't enough.

"Get the fuck back here!" Jack ordered but it was to late. Jack listened as an entire clip of ammo was unloaded into the solider and he fell to the street. Jack noticed the older girl trying to cross back into the street but he opened fire keeping her back.

"Ellie! Ellie!" She screamed.

Three hours later

"She's dead.... How?" Jack asked looking at the body of his wife.

"Some jackass from the town, their leader or some shit. Bernard was his name, came under a white flag. She insisted we talk with him. He shot her in the head." Briggs said.

"I see. Where is this Bernard?" Jack asked.

"Over there tied up. We thought you should decide what happens to him." Briggs said. Jack took out his revolver and walked towards the man.

Now

"You've got to be fucking kidding me. Volpe again, huh?" Jack asked.

"Yes sir. The van was attacked off the main route. She got everything." Briggs said.

"I thought you said we have good news." Jack said.

"The good news is, we were able to wound her. One of our men stabbed her." Briggs said.

"Is she dead?" Jack asked.

"No sir." Briggs said.

"Then whats so good about that news?" Jack asked.

"Well, it might slow her down." Briggs said.

"Or it might make her more angry. You remember what we let the guards at the outpost do to her." Jack said.

"That was fucked up." Briggs said.

"I don't think so. Let the men have their fun." Jack said.

"We're still lucky we made it out of there alive after that resistance attack." Briggs said.

"We're lucky we had this town to come back to. I think I like it here. I just don't like one thing." Jack said.

"What's that?" Briggs asked.

"The name. Mount Vernon. It just has a bad ring to it. We should rename it to Jacksonville or something." Jack said.

"Funny. But we do have some business to talk about." Briggs said.

"And what's that?" Jack asked.

"D.C. High command wants a representative there soon or their going to throw a fit." Briggs said.

"So I have to pick someone." Jack said.

"No offence sir, but it only seems there are two people that could be able to represent us well. And those people are me and you." Briggs said.

"What you said is completely true. And I would love to go to D.C. But I have a town to keep under control." Jack said.

"I could keep it under control until you get back. I know how to lead. Or I could go while you stay." Briggs said.

Choice

[Send Briggs]

[Go yourself]

• edited July 2015

Awesome part! I liked that short dream sequence at the very beginning, I wonder what it could foreshadow. For a moment, I somehow feared that Denver could be a Network agent, but nah, he's still cool. Jack is a major asshole though. I mean, deliberately targeting Katie's younger sister while they were running away? That child-killing bastard has to die for that!

[Send Briggs]

So that Jack can stay behind, where Katie could get a chance to end his damn life sooner or later. He'd be out of her reach in D.C.

Katie Dicanto A radio sat in the corner of the room. It was to dark to see in here, but she could tell it was there because of the static

• edited July 2015

Thank you! I had to change Jacks character a little though. But not to much.

Awesome part! I liked that short dream sequence at the very beginning, I wonder what it could foreshadow. For a moment, I somehow feared tha

• [Go yourself]

Katie Dicanto A radio sat in the corner of the room. It was to dark to see in here, but she could tell it was there because of the static

• [Send Briggs]

• [Go yourself]

• edited July 2015

Katie Dicanto

"Your arm looks fine. But you should rest for a while." Denver said.

"You want me to rest while the Network is out there doing hell knows what?" Katie asked.

"It was only a suggestion, but if I were you, I'd listen to someone who has over ten years of medical experience." Denver said.

"Ten years, huh? How old are you anyways?" Katie asked.

"Hmm. Forty one. I'll be Forty-two in a few days." Denver said.

"Your getting old." Katie joked.

"So I've been told. But I ain't about to let a little age slow me down." Denver said. He reached into his coat and pulled something out. "You dropped this when you were stabbed. Thought you might want it back." He said handing her a green scarf. Katie looked at it and smiled.

"Thank you so much Denver." Katie said.

"I've never seen you without it. I don't really know what's so special about it, but I know you like it." Denver said.

"My dad gave it to me, before he was killed." Katie recalled.

"I'm sorry you had to lose him like that." Denver said.

"The last time I ever talk to him was on the phone from my collage dorm. I was drunk off my ass, and it was all I could do to just hold a conversation with him." Katie said.

"You, drunk? I would have never have pictured you as that type of person." Denver said.

"Yeah, well times change and countries get invaded." Katie said.

"This is true." Denver said.

"Anyways, I had to hang up on him because some of my 'friends' were trying to have sex in the hallway." Katie said.

"Some college life. I remember my collage years. A shit ton of studying and work, I can't remember ever having a single party." Denver said. "Although, there was that one time when we almost blew up the science lab on accident."

"The company I keep." Katie laughed.

"Hey, we were mixing chemicals. I should have read the label." Denver said.

"Sound fun." Katie said.

"Not really, I almost got kicked out." Denver said. "Now, if you feel like it we have something we would like to show you."

"So, first you tell me not to get up, but now you tell me it's okay to get up?" Katie asked.

"Yes." Denver answered.

"Alright then." Katie said as she swung her feet over and stood up, way to fast. She nearly fell back down but caught herself. Denver tried to offer assistance but she waved him off. "I'm fine." She said.

"Right this way." Denver said as he led her through the cabin, which was actually very large, and out the front door. They were in a very heavily wooded area. Possibly on a mountain. She then followed Denver into a garage where she saw a bunch of people standing around. "Hey guys, look who decided to join us!" Denver remarked. Everyone looked over and saw her.

"Your Alive!" One of them remarked.

"Yeah, I know I'm alive." Katie said.

"Now anyways, we were going to take the ATV's out." Denver said.

"You don't need my permission to do that. Just don't do anything stupid, Katie that goes double for you." The man who seemed to be in charge of the meeting said.

"Where's the keys?" Denver asked.

"Where the hell do you think? Now hurry up so we can continue with this briefing." The man said. Denver walked over to a tarp and pulled it off revealing two ATV's. One green and the other tan.

"Which one you want?" Denver asked.

"Green, of course." Katie said.

"You know how to drive one of these?" Denver asked.

"I think so." Katie said.

"If you don't know how then take it slow." Denver said.

"Slow isn't in my vocabulary." Katie said as she started the ATV.

Dirt caked her face and cloths. The view from here was amazing. The entire valley below was visible from this location.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Denver said.

"Very." Katie admitted.

"My father was born around here somewhere." Denver said.

"Really?" Katie asked.

"Yeah. He moved to Ohio not long after though." Denver said.

"I see." Katie said. "How long do you think we'll stay here?"

"I don't know. The Network aren't in this area so we could probably just keep this as our base of operations if we play our cards right." Denver said.

"It's nice here." Katie said.

"Very peaceful isn't it?" Denver said.

"I guess we should get going before it get's dark, huh?" Katie asked.

"I would love to stay here forever and never leave. But your right. we've been out here since sun up. We have to get back. Tell you what, I'll race you." Denver said as he started his ATV and took off.

"No fair!" Katie called.

"How the hell did you beat me? I had like a thirty second lead on you." Denver said.

"Tricks of the trade." Katie said.

"Obviously. I didn't even see you pass me." Denver said.

"There's more than one path back to the cabin." Katie said.

"Well, I know that now." Denver said. "I'll see you in the morning." Denver said.

"See you in the morning." Katie said, as she walked away into the cabin and into the room she was in before. She looked around and saw her rifle in the corner of the room, she picked it up and looked it over. It was just how she left it. Katie put the rifle back down and walked back to her bed and laid down...

After what had felt like only minutes something aroused Katie from her sleep. She laid in her bed staring at the ceiling, to tired to get up. Then she heard something. A train whistle far off in the distance. It sounded like ti was coming from the same direction as the valley from earlier. She looked over to her rifle. She wouldn't even have to get close. She would be able to see it from far away. No one would even know she was there, and she wouldn't let anyone know she was there. There was a train out there somewhere, maybe it was friendly, maybe it's not. It would probably be best to find out if Network had moved into the area, wouldn't it?

Choice

[Go look over the valley]

[Ignore the train]

• [Go look over the valley]

Even though part of me thinks this might be a trap or backfire in some other way, if it's indeed the network it could be just as dangerous not to find out where they are located.

Katie Dicanto "Your arm looks fine. But you should rest for a while." Denver said. "You want me to rest while the Network is out there

Katie Dicanto "Your arm looks fine. But you should rest for a while." Denver said. "You want me to rest while the Network is out there

• Katie Dicanto

Katie picked up her rifle and tied her scarf on. She found her boots by the door and put them on quickly before rushing out the door. It was dark outside, but the moon provided enough light so she could see. She walked over to the garage and opened the door quietly as she stepped in. She walked over to one of the ATV's and climbed on, she turned the key and opened the throttle and she shot forward out of the garage.

Katie now sat on the ridge over looking the valley, peering through her scope. She saw only a few lights coming from the train, but was unable to tell if it was friendly or not. She heard something behind her and jumped up, swinging her gun to meet a figure standing behind her.

"Who th-" Katie began.

"Where the hell have you been Katie? I found your ATV back up the hill and thought you got killed! What are you doing out here?" Denver's voice asked.

"I heard something, a train. I came out here and now I see it. It's down there in the valley, moving extremely slow for some reason. It's to dark to tell if it's friendly or not." Katie said.

"Slow? How slow?" Denver asked.

"Only about a few miles an hour." Katie answered.

"Let me see that rifle of yours." Denver said as he stuck his hand out. Katie handed him her rifle and he looked through the scope at the train for a few moments before letting out a sigh.

"So? Is it friendly?" Katie asked.

"Yes. It's friendly." Denver sighed, then he walked straight past her walking back up the hill.

"Dude, my rifle?" Katie said, as he forgot to give it back. Without missing a beat, Denver turned on his heels and watched back up to Katie but stopped a few feet away.

"Why are you acting like this? Just give me my rifle, I'm not going to shoot anything. I promise." Katie said as she held her hand out.

"You know, you can't say I didn't try." Denver said before he threw the rifle on the ground at his feet. Katie huffed and stepped forward to pick it up, but Denver pulled out his pistol and pushed Katie back.

"What the hell?" Katie asked, alarmed by Denver's sudden action.

"I tried to tell you. I tried to warn you not to stick you nose where it don't belong. But now look what you went and got yourself into." Denver said.

"I don't understand! What's gotten into you?" Katie asked.

"Katie, you're a hero. Everyone sees you as some sort of savior." Denver started.

"I don't understan-" Katie began.

"This world doesn't deserve a hero, Katie. You brought this upon yourself. Just put your hands on your head." Denver said.

"Your working with the Network." Katie concluded.

"Katie, that bounty for your capture is enough to keep my men alive, feed, armed, and in high spirits. We need the money." Denver said.

"So you're going to turn me in for a reward? Then what, you're going to try and take them all on without me?" Katie asked.

"If it makes you feel any better, I won't tell the men it ended like this. I'll tell them you died saving my life, we'll make statues and stuff in your honor." Denver said. Katie reached behind her and her hand fell onto her knife. "Hey, I didn't want to do it. But times change, and money's important."

Choice

[Surrender]

[Attack Denver]

Samu Kussi

Well, here goes nothing.

Samu took a breath and lined up the scope, pulling the trigger. Half a second later he watched as almost all of the artillery guns exploded, the rest damaged beyond repair. Samu chambered another round as he looked around. A fireball reached skyward. Then silence filled the air. Samu waited. Then he saw a flash across the water and moments later the concrete next to him exploded into a shower of dust.

"Shit! Fucking gave away my position." Samu said as he picked himself up and dashed across the roof towards the stairs. Another bullet sailed right over his shoulder and hit the wall as he flew into the building and down towards the ground floor. He bust through the door into the street where he found the police chief.

"Where do you need me?" Samu asked him.

"Hell if I know. But if your going to be on the ground, you might want to reconsider your weapon choice." The chief said.

"I don't really have much of a choice." Samu said.

"That's true." He said, then something came through his radio. "Shit, Samu. They've begun to cross the water. They'll be here any minute. It would really give us an advantage if you could get to the top floor of the old apartment buildings on third street." He said. Samu nodded and ran off towards third street. As he ran, he passed a police officer who found cover behind a cement barrier.

"We are going to die." The police officer muttered as Samu ran past.

Santiago Martinez

"We're about to die anyway's right?" The girl, who had been revealed as Azumi said. Lucia smiled at her.

"It doesn't matter." Lucia said as she reached back and grabbed Azumi and pulled her into her lips.

"I've never been with another girl before." Azumi gasped as she pulled away.

"Okay, this is getting awkward." Santiago said as he stood up. The two of them went on like he wasn't there as he walked away. He walked through the museum alone looking at the art that was hung on the walls or displayed on the floor. Some of the art was interesting, while some of the ‘art’ was very boring. Seriously, who calls a few dots of pain on a canvas art? Santiago got lost in thought as he walked down the hallway until he heard someone.

“Santiago?” A voice called. Santiago turned to see Alex laying on a cot that had been set up.

“Alex? You’re alive?” Santiago asked. Alex tried to laugh but as she did she gripped her ribs in pain.

“Yeah. I’m alive. Not much more though.” She said.

“I should’ve done something sooner.” Santiago said.

“Santi, you did all that you could, and then some. No one should ever be forced into a kill or be killed situation, and what happened was straight fucked up. You did your best, and I owe my life to you.” Alex said.

“I still should’ve tired harder. Maybe I didn’t have to kill him, maybe I could’ve talked him out of it.” Santiago said.

“You know as well as I that he wouldn’t had stopped until half my skull was laying on the floor of that room. He would’ve joyfully taken my blood and painted the walls of his room with it.” Alex said.

“But still.” Santiago said.

“You can’t beat yourself up about this Santi. I know what it’s like to kill someone. It’s not something that goes away, it stays with you forever. Just because you kill more people doesn’t make it any easier.” Alex said. “And before you ask, I’m trying to say you’re not alone.” She finished before Santiago could even ask the question. Suddenly the floor vibrated with the sound of a far off explosion.

“That must have been big.” Santiago said.

“It must have been huge, I mean it had to be-“ Alex started but wasn’t able to finish as she entered a violent fit of coughing.

“Holy shit, are you alright?” Santiago asked as he grabbed her shoulder and tried to think of a way to help. Her face was already losing color.

“No… No, I’m fine..” She wheezed as she tried to regain her breath. “It happens, it’s nothing serious I don’t think.”

“Alex, I’d hate to do this to you, but I think I need to go. I might be needed somewhere else. Samu told me to check on everyone.” Santiago said.

“I understand. Go do your job.” Alex said with a tone of regret. Santiago stood and began to walk down the hallway. The building shook again. “Would it really hurt anything if you stayed here? There’s like thirty other fighters in the building. Samu only wanted you here to get you away from the fighting.” Alex said, Santiago turned around and looked at her. She was staring right at him, her face full of fear. Something he hadn’t seen on her before.

“I have a job.” Santiago said.

“Fuck your job. It’s pointless, the medics are already taking care of everyone.” Alex said. She let out a sigh. “Santi, I’m scared okay? This whole thing, it just scares me shitless. And if I’m going to die tonight, I don’t want to die laying on a bed alone. Please, just stay.” She said.

Choice

[Stay with Alex]

[Leave]

• edited July 2015

[Attack Denver]

[Stay with Alex] ;_;

Katie Dicanto Katie picked up her rifle and tied her scarf on. She found her boots by the door and put them on quickly before rushing out

• God damnit Denver! From the moment Jack had detailed information about her wounds, I suspected him to be a Network asshole. But since I liked him a lot, I stopped suspecting him immediately afterwards. And immediately after he appeared in this part, I knew what he was up to. Fuck him! I hope Katie kills him!

[Attack Denver]

We know what the Network is doing to their prisoners. They almost raped her when she had just been some civilian, so I guess now that she is an important figure in the resistance, it's going to be worse. Surrendering is a terrible choice, as it will almost inevitably cause her to get captured by the Network, so she should at least try to fight back.

[Stay with Alex]

Katie Dicanto Katie picked up her rifle and tied her scarf on. She found her boots by the door and put them on quickly before rushing out

• edited July 2015

If she attacks him, she could be branded as a criminal.

Wait, please tell me, how exactly is being branded as a criminal worse than giving up and allowing the Network to execute her? Because death seems to be exactly the best fate she could hope for if she becomes a Network prisoner. Besides, who would brand her as a criminal and why? She's just defending her life after all.

NoHopeLeft posted: »

[Attack Denver] [Stay with Alex] ;_;

• edited July 2015

Honestly it was just a poorly thought out thought. I'm probably gonna change my vote.

If she attacks him, she could be branded as a criminal. Wait, please tell me, how exactly is being branded as a criminal worse than

• I actually trusted Denver. Truly unbelievable [Attack Denver]

[Stay with Alex]

• Ah, I see :D I already thought I might have missed something important in this part.

Honestly it was just a poorly thought out thought. I'm probably gonna change my vote.

• [Attack Denver]

[Stay with Alex]

This story is awesome! I just finished catching up and I submitted a character :)

• Thanks! I looked at the character, and I really like him!

janitor posted: »

[Attack Denver] [Stay with Alex] This story is awesome! I just finished catching up and I submitted a character

• [Attack Denver]

[Stay with Alex]

• edited July 2015

So, I had an idea for a new story. I don't know when or even if I'm going to do it, but I have some of it planned out.

The Story:

A high school football game in a small town in Ohio between two bitter rivals, it's the kind of thing that brings the entire community together. Or rips it apart. People begin to go missing, and that's where the story begins. The missing people find themselves alone, unsure of where they are, and in need of help.

The story itself focuses on the missing people and their attempts to make it back home. But when trapped in unknown terrain, there's a lot that could go wrong...

(Like I said, I'm still working out the details and I have a lot more planned that I just can't tell you about.)

So, what do you guys think? Worthwhile, or waste of virtual paper?

• It sounds intriguing enough. I'd say do for it if you want to!

So, I had an idea for a new story. I don't know when or even if I'm going to do it, but I have some of it planned out. The Story: A hi

• Thanks!

It sounds intriguing enough. I'd say do for it if you want to!

• It sounds interesting. I'm sure it will be a great story and I'm definitely going to read it!

So, I had an idea for a new story. I don't know when or even if I'm going to do it, but I have some of it planned out. The Story: A hi

• Thanks you!

It sounds interesting. I'm sure it will be a great story and I'm definitely going to read it!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.