The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• Attention all readers! This is not a test, I repeat, this is not a test.

The regional Mr.Quality bureau of reader announcements has issued a contemporary statement on the status of world-wide story writing.

On this day, a certain fellow by the name of NoHopeLeft has endeavored into the realm of mysery, releasing his new story 'Silicon'. It has yet to start but us sure at the MQBRA have reason to believe this one is going to be a good one, so hold onto your hats! Ladies and gents, without further adieu, I present Silicon.

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/96400/silicon-an-interactive-story-upcoming

This has been an update on global writing, brought to you by the Mr.Quality Bureau of Reader Announments. This is Mr.Quality, signing off.

• [Go to Brooklyn]

mr.quality posted: »

Dillon "Yes. I'm all in. This radio tower might be the most important thing to us right now." Dillon said. "Good to hear kid. Now, get

• Dillon

"I feel like a fucking idiot on this thing." Captain Angelo huffed.

"Speak for yourself. I feel like a kid again." Robert said sarcastically.

"Doesn't matter. It's just a few miles form here. Dillon, ditch the bike, we're walking the rest of the way. Angelo, you and your men set up on the hill side overlooking the station. " Robert said.

"Understood. Men, on me." Angelo said as he and his small group peeled off down another street. Dillon and Robert ditched their bikes and began walking up the road.

"Whats the plan?" Dillon asked.

"What plan?" Robert asked.

"You didn't think of a plan?" Dillon asked.

"No. That was your job." He said, but then he began to laugh. "Of course I got this planned out. Just follow my lead. Oh, and use this. It makes less noise." Robert said pulling our a small crossbow. "I know its not your style, but trust me, you might want it." Robert said. Dillon grabbed it and looked it over. It was nothing fancy, but it was good enough for him. "Lets get a move on." Robert said.

"What are we going to do? We cant get in there." Dillon said, looking at the heavily fortified radio station. Multiple armed patrols were walking by, and there was a chain fence all around the station.

"Your right. Two Resistance fighters cant get in, but two Network agents sure as hell can." Robert said.

"What are you suggesting?" Dillon asked.

"I'm suggesting you shut up and follow my lead." Robert said as he scanned the radio station. "There." He said pointing out two guards away form the rest, lounging near a fire. "we take them when no ones looking." Robert said. The two of them skirted the woods to get closer to the guards, soon they were almost close enough to touch them.

"ready?" Robert asked. Dillon nodded. "Now." He said. Dillon fire an arrow straight through the first guards throat as Robert shoved a knife into the second one's spine, pulling him into the woods. Dillon grabbed his kill and pulled him into the woods to.

"Now what?" Dillon asked.

"see what he's wearing? The uniform? Put it on." Robert said.

Samu Kuusi

"We have to help Brooklyn. It's more strategically important to us than this fort." Samu said.

"Are you sure about this Samu?" Arile asked. Samu took a breath and sighed.

"Yes. I'm sure. They're good people in Brooklyn. If we some how defy all logic and hold off the attack, we might just be able to turn the tides of the New York campaign. And after we have New York we can begin a southward march to Georgia." Samu said.

"Calm it, cowboy. We need to focus on the task at hand right now." Arile said.

"Yes ma'am." Samu said.

"Samu, I want you to head out and start loading the ships with whatever is left. Guns. ammo, food, medicine, Anything that could be useful. Then start rounding up the fighters. get them on the ships then set sail for Brooklyn." Arile said.

"What about you?" Samu asked.

"I'll be there." Arile said. "Now get to it. I want to get to Brooklyn before the Network levels the streets and lays claim to the ashes."

"Yes ma'am." Samu said as he got up from the chair and walked towards the door.

"The battle of Brooklyn it is." Samu heard Arile say as he walked away.

Santiago Martinez

"Is she going to be Alright?" Santiago asked.

"She has a partially fractured skull, possibly a concussion. Her left arm is broken, and a few of her ribs are cracked. This Mosaiah guy did a number on her. I'd hate to see what would've happened if you weren't there." The medic said.

"Is she going to be alright though?" Santiago asked again.

"We'll have to wait and see. But I have no doubt that with some rest and time, she'll come out just fine." The medic said. "If her condition changes, let me know alright, I'll just be over there tending to the other wounded." He said as he waled off. Santiago looked down at her bruised and bettered face. He almost felt glad about kill that guy, at least he couldn't hurt anyone else.

"Alright everyone, new orders. We're going to turn and burn. I want everyone on the ship ASAP, then we burn this fort to the ground. Understood?" A booming voice said. Santiago looked over and saw a man standing in the doorway of the tent. One of the medics walked up to him.

"But sir, some of the wounded are in no condition to move." She said.

"And I care why? Just carry them if you have to." He said.

"But moving them could just risk re-injury." The medic said.

"Then be careful." He said.

"Why are we even leaving?" A wounded man next to Santiago asked.

"Network forces are converging on our location as we speak. We can either risk injuring the wounded getting them to safety, or leave them here to face whatever hell the Network has imagined. And I personally, don't want to leave anyone here to be burnt alive by the Network." he said.

"We're not moving them." The medic said.

"But."

"I out rank you. Go get someone of a higher rank and then maybe I'll listen." She said. The solider grunted at the Medic and stormed out of the tent. "Fuck. This is great. Just fucking great." The medic sighed.

Samu Kuusi

"No Damn it, we don't need any of that. Leave it here, it'll just get burnt with the rest of the junk." Samu sighed. The solider sulked off and threw the rug into a large pile.

"Lieutenant Kuusi, sir." A solider called. Samu looked over and saw an angry looking man walking up to him.

"It's general now." Samu said.

"Sorry sir. I wasn't informed. Congratulations on the promotion." The solider said.

"What do you need solider?" Samu asked.

"Sir, the Medics are refusing to move the wounded onto the ships." The solider said.

"So, just give them an order. I have bigger fish to fry." Samu said.

"Sir.." The solider began.

"Hold onto that thought for a moment." Samu said as he turned his attention back to the ships. "No! What are you doing? Why? Just tell me why do we need revolutionary war muskets when we have rifles of our own? Real rifles.Put those damn things in the burn pile." Samu said. "Now where were we?"

"Sir, it's just that the medics. They out rank me. They wont listen to my orders."

"So you want me to give them the order." Samu asked.

"Yes sir. Your the only senior officer i could find."

"Is that right?" Samu asked.

"Yes sir."

"Well then."

Choice

[Order the medics to move the wounded]

[leave the wounded behind]

• [Order the medics to move the wounded] let's not be complete asshats about this situation - if it is a choice between moving the wounded and risking more injuries, or just leaving the poor bastards behind - I'd rather not have them be abandoned. That's honestly a pretty fucked up thing to do.

Dillon "I feel like a fucking idiot on this thing." Captain Angelo huffed. "Speak for yourself. I feel like a kid again." Robert said

• [Order the medics to move the wounded]

I agree completely with what Hope said.

Dillon "I feel like a fucking idiot on this thing." Captain Angelo huffed. "Speak for yourself. I feel like a kid again." Robert said

• [leave the wounded behind]

• [Order the medics to move the wounded]

There's just no way we would actually leave them behind

• Just a little update:

I was away in Tennessee all weekend, thus no new part. But now I'm back home so expect a new part Tomorrow/ Tuesday.

• Samu Kuusi

"You, stay here and watch these morons. I'll go find the fucking medics." Samu huffed.

"Yes Sir." The solider responded as Samu walked away towards the Medics tent. The tent itself wasn't the biggest, luckily they didn't have many wounded. Maybe only fifteen wounded, and out of that most of them should be able to walk. Samu blasted through the tent door and looked around.

"We don't have time for bull shit so I'm going to make this clear. I, General Samu Kuusi of the New York resistance campaign, command you to move these wounded onto the ships, now." Samu spoke, he caught the angered look of the senor medic staring directly at him. "Do I make myself clear?" Samu snarled at her.

"Yes, Sir." She answered through gritted teeth.

"Good. Now get to it. We leave as soon as possible." Samu said. He turned to leave and heard the medic mumble something under her breath, but Samu let it slide. He walked out of the tent and back towards where the ships were moored. He saw Arile standing by and watching the ships being loaded.

"Arile, this is the first time I've ever seen you outside." Samu joked.

"It's the first time in awhile." Arile admitted. "I'm usually trapped inside."

"Don't worry. I think we'll be able to find a new prison for you in Brooklyn." Samu said.

"I think I'll pass you up on that offer." Arile said.

"Your loss." Samu said.

Santiago Martinez

"What the hell is wrong with those idiots?" The medic protested.

"You heard him. That was a direct order. We've got to move these people." another said.

"Fucking great. Anyone who can walk can get themselves down there, the rest we have to carry."

"Kid, You're going to have to move." A medic said to Santiago.

"Huh? Sure." Santiago said as he stood up and walked towards the exit.

"Wait, kid, you want to help us pack up some of this equipment?" A medic asked Santiago.

Choice

[Help]

[leave]

Lucia Martinez

"You dont owe me anything. I did what had to be done, nothing more." Lucia said. She saw Azumi's brown eyes searching her for something.

"You've done so much for me, you don't even know me. I just don't know how to thank you." Azumi said.

"Don't thank me." Lucia said.

"The doctor said you could be out in a few days. We should hang out sometime." Azumi said.

"Yeah, sure." Lucia said. Azumi looked down at her watch.

"I need to get going. I'll come back later, alright?" Azumi said.

"Alright, see ya." Lucia said.

"Bye." Azumi said as she walked out the door. Lucia laid her head back into the pillow as she watched Azumi walk away. When she reached the door she looked back for a moment then left, the sound of the door closing echoed through the room. Alone, again.

Elias Green

The girl's eyes fluttered open and she looked around the room, she attempted to sit up but Elias held her back.

"Don't try to sit up. You could hurt yourself." Elias said.

"Who are you? Where am I?" She asked.

"I'm Elias Green. This is Cormack station." Elias said.

"Where's Ann and Carmen?" She asked.

"Who? Is that who you were with?" Elias asked.

"Yes, are they here?" She asked.

"No. They left you here and ran." Elias said. "Can you tell me your name?" He asked.

"Riley Peters." She said.

"Where did you come from, Riley?" Elias asked.

"I was with Stryker corp. They tried to kill us." Riley said.

"Looks like they tried pretty hard. I was starting to think you would never wake up." Elias said.

"How long was I out?" Riley asked.

"About two days, maybe a little less." Elias said.

"Shit." Riley said as she starred blankly at the ceiling.

"Can I get you anything?" Elias asked.

"I would like my friends back, but some water would be fine." Riley said.

"I'll get right on it." Elias said as he stood up.

Corporal Adam Johnson

The two of them ran down the sandy road towards the hangar where Brooke had supposedly went to. When they arrived a guard stopped them.

"You cant go in there. It's a crime scene under investigation." the guard said.

"What happened?" Adam asked.

"We found Network spec ops holed up in there, they'd been spying on us." The guard said.

"Fuck. How long?" Adam asked.

"No clue. But thats not even the worst part." The guard said.

"Whats worse than that?" Adam asked.

"One of our people was with them, giving them information." The guard said.

"Who?" Adam asked.

"Remember the blunt we picked up after she tried to die on our doorstep? What was her name, Brooke Rose." The guard said.

"Is she dead?" Adam asked.

"No, she was detained for questioning. Go check the prison, if she knows you that could help." The guard said. Adam took his advice and walked off towards the camp's prison.

She looked at her through the one way glass, blood running from her nose and mouth. Her face bruised and her arm back in a cast.

"I'm done being nice, just tell me what did you tell them?" The interrogator asked. Brooke spit some blood onto the floor.

"I told them how ugly your mother was." She said. The interrogator proceeded to punch her across the face,then walk out of the room.

"Damn it, Johnson your up. If I have to do this much longer I'll kill her." The interrogator said.

"How long has this been going?" Adam asked.

"A few hours. We need permission to step up the game." He said.

"Step up the game?" Adam asked.

"You know, up the intensity. Force sleep deprivation, water boarding, electrocution." He said.

"What comes after that?" Adam asked.

"If she doesn't show any sign of cracking, we kill her. And if you don't allow us to continue the interrogation, We'll have to kill her now." He said.

"How do you plan on killing her?" Adam asked.

"I say we make an example of her. Burn her at the stake, or lynch her from the command center. Something everyone will see." He said.

"We're not animals." Adam said.

"This is war. They're only the losers and the winners. And if we want to be winners, we cant afford to let people get away with treachery."

Choice

[Allow interrogation to continue.]

[call it off]

• [Help]

Maybe he can get bonus points with his new friends from the resistance

As brutal as this interrogation is, working with the Network is even worse and they probably need to find out if she has any information. On top of that, if he calls it off now they are probably simply going to kill her and that would help no one.

Samu Kuusi "You, stay here and watch these morons. I'll go find the fucking medics." Samu huffed. "Yes Sir." The solider responded as

• [leave] - this is just fishy, and if not fishy, I think it could hurt Santiago's chances of getting out of there in time.

[call it of] - yeah, no, not gonna let them torture someone until death and/or execution. It's just wrong, even if it's war.

Samu Kuusi "You, stay here and watch these morons. I'll go find the fucking medics." Samu huffed. "Yes Sir." The solider responded as

• [Help]

[Allow interrogation to continue] We got to learn some info here

• [leave]

• [leave]

• [Dillon]

"This doesn't feel right." Dillon said, looking over his new uniform.

"They weren't using them." Robert said.

"So what now?" Dillon asked.

"Act like you belong and you will belong." Robert said, as he walked out of the bushes straight towards the camp. Dillon followed right behind him. As they got close to the radio station they were stopped by another man.

"Hold it right there." He said.

"Whats the problem?" Robert calmly asked.

"I don't recognize you from around here." He said.

"That's because were from Lubbock." Dillon said.

"Lubbock? Damn, I heard all about that place. How the hell did you get out of there?" He asked.

"We got lucky. Real lucky." Robert said.

"Seems like. Well, we could use all the men we can get. An informant told us some rebel asshats are going to attack this place. Patriot bottom feeders." He said.

"Damn resistance at it again?" Robert asked.

"Yes. Now get inside the station. Commander Kilmore will give you you're orders." He said. "Now go."

The two of them walked away from the man towards the station.

"Nice save. What the hell happened in Lubbock?" Robert asked.

"No clue, but whatever it is seems good for us." Dillon said.

"I count fifteen. Whats your count?" Robert asked, changing the subject.

"Fourteen men on the ground, one on top the building." Dillon said.

"Good. Angelo's men will keep the outsiders occupied while we clean up the inside. Try not to shoot the equipment." Robert said.

"I wont be shooting." Dillon said.

"Yeah, swordsman. I forgot." Robert said as he approached the door and opened it. "Ladies first." He said. Dillon smiled and walked in the building. He did a quick scan of the lobby and saw two guards in the lobby, one in the hallway and one in the radio room, plus the radio operator.

"Hold it. What are you doing in here?" A guard asked.

"They sent us for Commander Kilmore." Dillon said.

"Kilmore?" The guard asked confused.

"Now." Robert said. Dillon threw his crossbow across the room, hitting the second guard and unsheathed his sword. The first guard raised his gun and tried to fire but Dillon was to quick, he brought his right arm across to his left and left a nice gash in the man's gut. He fell to the floor with blood leaking from his mouth. Dillon looked back up and the guard in the hallway now had an arrow stuck in his throat. Dillon noticed that the people in the radio room weren't reacting to the situation.

"One way glass, they can't see us." Robert said as he opened the radio room door and grabbed the guard from behind and put a knife in his back. Dillon drew his dagger and threw it at the radio operator, hitting him int he head. He slumped forward over the control panel.

"Well, that's that." Robert said. "Let's go back outside."

"But what about all the guards outside?" Dillon asked.

"Angelo's men took care of them, like I told you." Robert said as he opened the radio station door and walked out. Dillon followed directly behind him. Once outside he saw all the guards were either dead or tied up.

"Angelo, another fine job!" Robert said.

"Yes it is. The radio station is ours. We already got our tech guy on it. But I think we have something to discuss." Angelo said.

"Whatever you have to say you can say it in front of everyone." Robert said. Angelo half heartedly sighed.

"We have a traitor among us." Angelo said.

"We know that." Robert said.

"We have him detained." Angelo said.

"So?" Robert asked.

"Should we kill him or let him go? I say we kill him, we cant take the risk." Angelo said.

"we cant kill him. He's just a kid." Robert said.

"Looks like a tie." Angelo said.

"Dillon, whats your say?" Robert asked.

[Kill the traitor]

[let him go]

Santiago Martinez

"I think I'd only get in your way if i tried to help." Santiago said.

"fine then. Just go and get out of the tent. The first boat is leaving in five minutes so you should get on that one." The medic said. Santiago nodded as he walked out of the tent. He smelled smoke and looked up, there was a large pile being burnt. It was full of old furniture, painting, weapons. They really weren't joking about leveling this place.

"Santiago, there you are." A voice said, Santiago turned and saw Samu.

"What did you want?" Santiago asked.

"I wanted to tell you I got you a spot reserved on the first boat out of here. So we should go now." Samu said.

"What about everyone else?" Santiago asked.

"They'll get on the next boat. We have three of them." Samu said. "Come on, I'll show you the boat." Samu said as he began walking away and Santiago followed. He looked at the burning pile of historic artifacts.

"Seems like a waste." Santiago said.

"Yeah. But we cant let the Network have any of it." Samu said. "And this is it." He said motioning to a big wooden ship.

"Seriously? Were getting on that thing?" Santiago asked.

"Yeah. Its a revolutionary war style ship." Samu said.

"It looks like its about to fall apart." Santiago said.

"We had some people look over it. It'll get us to Brooklyn in one piece." Samu said.

"If you say so.It kind of looks like a pirate ship to me." Santiago said, as he walked up the gangplank onto the ship, with Samu right behind him. On the deck there were a few people moving boxes and a few just milling around.

"I'd get comfortable if i were you. We'll be on this ship for the next few hours." Samu said.

"When will we get to Brooklyn?" Santiago asked.

"Around noon if everything goes right." Samu said."If you need me, I'll be in the captain's quarters speaking with Arile. Don't be afraid to ask for anything." He said as he walked off towards the captain's chambers. Santiago walked up to the railing and leaned against it and sighed as he looked out into the water. After a few moments he heard a bell ring.

"Set sail!" A voice called. The ship's sails were instantly dropped and Santiago felt the old ship slowly start moving down stream towards Brooklyn.

"It's great sailing weather. Good wind blowing in our direction, calm waters. Maybe this is a sign that we were supposed to go." A man next to Santiago said.

"Maybe." Santiago replied.

Corporal Adam Johnson

"Fuck, do what you have to. I want answers." Adam said.

"As you wish sir." The interrogator said, with a devious smile. "This is where you'll want to leave, it's going to get quite messy." He said and Adam walked out of the jail back into the desert heat.

"How'd it go?" A guard asked.

"She's not talking. And I'm going to advise you to just ignore any screams you hear. Our friend is doing his job." Adam said.

"Who the hell hired that guy? He's a little nuts." The guard said.

"He's the best we have." Adam said.

"That's true, he's gotten all of his prisoners to talk. But I do not want to know how he does it." The guard said.

"None of us do." Adam said. And just as he said it, he heard a bone chilling scream come out of the jail.

"I'm going to go insane if I have to listen to that much longer. I've been doing this job ever since the camp was put up and it's driving me mad. All the screams of pain, how am I supposed to ignore that?" The guard said.

"I don't envy your position." Adam said.

"Sir, I can tell you're a good guy, so I'm just going to ask. Please change my position, for all I care give me KP duty. Anything is better than this." The guard said.

Choice

["I'll ask about it."]

["I cant help you."]

Carmen Dominguez

"Carmen, you're starting to scare me. I haven't seen you eat or drink anything since we escaped. You can't keep doing this." Ann said.

"It's my fault." Carmen said.

"No it's not. What happened was beyond our control." Ann said.

"Riley died because if fucked up." Carmen said.

"She's not dead Carmen." Ann said.

"There's no chance she was surviving that! She was half dead by the time we found help!" Carmen snapped.

"That doesn't mean she's dead." Ann said.

"It pretty much does. What was some shitty ass camp out in the middle of the damn desert going to do to stop that bleeding? huh? Nothing. They dont have shit. And now, here we are, stuck in some shitty ass bar somewhere in hell with nowhere left to run." Carmen said.

"But were alive." Ann said.

"And did Riley have to die so we could live? Is that how the game is played?" Carmen asked.

"She's not dead." Ann repeated.

"Stop fooling yourself. She's dead Ann, just like us when the merc's catch up to us." Carmen said.

"Fine. Lets assume Riley is dead. Are you going to let her die in vain? Are you just going to sit here on your ass waiting to die?" Ann asked. Carmen huffed and shifted towards the window looking away from Ann.

"I can't keep doing this. Every day it's the same damn thing. We get up and we fight. And we fight and we sleep. And we repeat." Carmen said.

"Carmen, look at me." Ann said. But Carmen refused to look at her. Ann grabbed Carmen's chin and pulled her head forcing her to look at Ann. "You can't just let yourself die. You have to fight, make Riley's sacrifice mean something. And for God's sake, eat something." Ann said, as she pushed something towards Carmen. she noticed it was one of those MRE's they'd gotten from the truck. Carmen just stared at it.

"Please." Ann asked.

"Fuck it." Carmen sighed as she ripped the box open and began to devour it's contents.

"Thank you." Ann said. And they sat in silence as Carmen continued to eat everything in the box until it was gone. "That's the first thing you've eaten in what, three days?" Ann asked.

"Something like that." Carmen said. As she stood up and walked behind the bar counter and dug around until she pulled out a bottle.

"Already back at the vodka?" Ann asked. "I think you should take it easy."

"Eh, who cares." Carmen said as she placed two shot glasses on the bar. "Don't tell me your making me drink alone."

"No, No. I'm with you." Ann said as she joined Carmen at the bar.

"Good." Carmen said, filling the glasses. Once she was finished, she sat the bottle back down and raised her glass. "To Riley, the bravest kid I've ever known." She said.

"To Riley." Ann joined, as she downed the shot, and poured another.

"You know, I used to hate this stuff." Carmen said between shots.

"What changed?" Ann asked.

"Well, the United States kinda went to hell and dragged me down with it." Carmen said.

"This is true. It keeps getting harder to remember what it was like before this, you know?" Ann said.

"I can barely remember anything before the beginning of this war." Carmen said in a dark tone.

"Why do you say it like that?" Ann asked. Carmen wiped a strand of hair from her forehead and revealed a scar.

"I cant remember anything. I was in LA traffic when it happened. Three choppers gave the highway hell and I took off running, got dragged down an alleyway and then there was a grenade, a bright flash and I felt like i was being pushed... Then black. The next thing I remember was waking up on the helicopter." Carmen said, never taking her eye off her glass.

"Damn thats harsh." Ann said.

"Doesn't even begin to cover it. I can still see their faces, everyone I used to know. But I can't remember them, I see them but I can't remember them." Carmen said.

"Maybe one day it will come back to you." Ann said.

"I'm not sure thats what I want." Carmen said.

"Why? Don't you want to know who you are?" Ann asked.

"I know who I am. I'm a killer, a murderer. A God damn mercenary for hire. I don't want to know who I was, because it's not who I am." Carmen said.

"I'm telling you man! I don't know anything! Just let me go!" A voice yelled from outside. Carmen peered out the boarded up window and saw a blurry figure standing in the parking lot of the bar.

"Don't try any of that bull shit man, I saw you in that truck. That's their truck. Just tell me where they went." Another voice said.

"I don't know who they are!" The man yelled.

"Carmen and Ann, the damn fugitives, wanted for murder, arson , attempted assassination and a hell of a lot more." The other voice said. Carmen turned to Ann.

"Who are they?" Carmen asked.

"Bounty hunters. Here to spill our blood for gold." Ann said. "We only have one choice now. We fight or we die." She said, as she pulled out her machine gun. Carmen reached for her rifle, and pulled it up, resting it on the window sill. She peered through her scope at her targets. Three, no four.

"Do you have a shot on them?" Ann asked.

"Their all blurry and I cant hold the damn rifle steady." Carmen said.

"It's probably because you haven't eaten in three days and then went off and drank half a bottle of vodka." Ann said.

"Hey, you drank the other half." Carmen said.

"Now's not the time. Can you make the shot?" Ann asked.

Choice

[Take the shot]

[wait]

• [let him go] - I'm still not completely on board killing these people, but if it's some kid it's even more of a reason to just let him go. Maybe he'll rethink his alliances if we show some kind of mercy, who knows?

["I'll ask about it."] - Having to be around that must seriously suck. This might prove to be a bad choice, but I don't see much harm in doing this.

[wait] - He's tried, hungry, and shaking. Maybe even a little drunk. What I mean is I bet he'll miss and it will probably cause some big problems.

[Dillon] "This doesn't feel right." Dillon said, looking over his new uniform. "They weren't using them." Robert said. "So what now

• edited June 2015

[let him go]

Can't they just keep him detained? I mean, I don't want to kill a kid, but letting him go doesn't sound that good either. But well, perhaps showing him mercy pays off later.

["I'll ask about it."]

It doesn't hurt to ask and perhaps the soldier can return the favour later

[Take the shot]

I think it's better to take the initiative as long as they still have the better position and stuff. I just hope she doesn't miss.

[Dillon] "This doesn't feel right." Dillon said, looking over his new uniform. "They weren't using them." Robert said. "So what now

• [Kill the traitor]

["I cant help you."]

[wait]

• [let him go]

[I'll ask about it]

[wait]

• Carmen Dominguez

"Fuck. I Don't want to risk it. I'll have to wait until they get closer." Carmen said as she sank down below the wall.

"I have a feeling that won't be long." Ann said.

"On a scale of one to ten, how fucked are we?" Carmen asked.

"Eleven and a half." Ann said.

"You could try to be optimistic about his you know." Carmen said.

"That was being optimistic." Ann said.

"Well then. We're pretty screwed." Carmen said.

"Just keep your head down and stay quiet. Maybe they won't check the bar." Ann said.

"Alright then. Three of you, I want you to head down the road and see what you can find. The rest of you, on me." The man called from outside.

"So I guess they're coming in." Carmen said. She could hear the footsteps outside.

"If anyone is in there, please come out. We don't want any trouble, we just want to talk. Promise." The man said. Carmen looked at Ann.

"Don't trust them." Ann said. Carmen readied her rifle and peered through the scope. They were a lot closer now. "It's now or never Carmen." Ann said. Carmen lined up the sights on the man who'd been talking. Maybe if she took out their leader first, they would be in disarray. Carmen pulled the trigger and watched as a stream of red poured from his chest as he toppled to the ground.

"Fuck! They're inside!" Another yelled.

"How many were there?" Ann asked.

"I don't know. Maybe six." Carmen answered.

"Try to pick them off before they reach the door." Ann said. Carmen nodded affirmatively and came out of her cover to take her next shot. But now everyone was hiding behind cover. Carmen saw someone pop out of cover just for a moment, but that was enough. She put a bullet in his head.

"Five more." Carmen said. She saw someone come out of cover and start running and she shot them. "Four." One by one Carmen picked them off until only one was left.

"Where is he?" Carmen asked. Looking around. "I can't find him anywhere."

"Maybe you counted wrong?" Ann asked.

"I don't think so." Carmen said.

"I don't see anyone else." Ann said. Carmen looked over at her.

"So maybe I was wrong." Carmen said as she stood up. She saw Ann looking at something behind her.

"Carmen, behind you!" She yelled. And Carmen instinctively turned around. As she did she saw another woman standing right in front of her holding a knife. Carmen tried to raise her rifle but the woman was to quick. She shove the rifle away and lunged forward, shoving the knife into Carmen's ribs. Carmen let out a scream of pain as she fell to the floor clutching her wound. She heard gunshots and saw the woman fall to the floor. Ann ran over to her.

"Shit Carmen." She said as she looked at the knife.

"It hurts... Oh God it hurts..." Carmen said as pain seared through her body.

"Carmen. Carmen, you'll be fine. I promise. I can... I can." Ann started but lost her words.

"Go... The rest of them will be here soon." Carmen said.

"I'm not leaving you." Ann said.

"Look at me! I'm already dead... This is just karma for what happened to Riley." Carmen said.

"I'm not going to let you die." Ann said as she pulled something out of her pack, a syringe.

"What... Is that?" Carmen asked.

"It'll help with the pain." Ann said as she jabbed it into Carmen's leg and released it's contents. Almost instantly afterward Carmen felt a sudden rush of drowsiness.

"What.. was that?" Carmen asked.

"It was a sedative. It was the only way." Ann said as Carmen's vision darkened. "I won't let you die." Was the last thing she head before slipping into unconsciousness.

Santiago Martinez

"Two more hours till we reach Brooklyn." The captain informed.

"Two fucking hours. I wanted off this boat Three hours ago." The man next to Santiago said.

"You weren't on this boat three hours ago." Santiago said.

"Yeah Yeah. But it's still taking to damn long." He said.

"I can agree with that." Santiago said.

"Hey kid, you think we stand a chance?" The man asked.

"What do you mean?" Santiago asked.

"I mean, do you think us and some Brooklyn police officers can hold off an attack from the Network?" He asked.

"It's worth a shot." Santiago said.

"It's not worth getting shot though." He said.

"Are you always such a downer like this?" Santiago asked.

"No, sometimes I'm drunk." The man said. "Hey, do you know where Arile and Samu went?"

"Yeah, I know where they are. Why?" Santiago asked.

"Me and some of the others want to talk about strategy with them. I mean, we have to know what were doing right?" He said.

"I guess so." Santiago said.

"So would you mind getting them for us?" He asked.

choice

[Sure.]

[Do it yourself]

Adam Johnson

"I'll see what I can do for you." Adam said.

"Thank you so much." The man said.

"What's your name anyways?" Adam asked.

"Sam Riley, sir." He responded. "Me and my family came here after Network over ran Alcatraz island, I worked there."

"You worked at Alcatraz? What's it like since they reopened it?" Adam asked.

"We'll now it's a fully state of the art prison once again. Just like the old Alcatraz, but better." Sam said.

"You have any family?" Adam asked.

"Yes sir, I have a daughter Ann and a son Jacx." He said.

"I've seen them around a few times actually. Good kids." Adam said.

"Thank you sir." Sam said.

"Don't thank me yet. I can't promise anything." Adam said as he began walking away. Soon he saw Elias walking through the street. "Elias." He called. Elias looked over and saw him then walked over.

"Yes?" Elias asked.

"Just wanted to know how things were going." Adam said.

"Well, she woke up." Elias said.

"The girl?" Adam asked.

"Yes. She asked me for some water, and that's why I'm out here." Elias said.

"Did she say anything about where she was from?" Adam asked.

"Well, she did say something about this 'Stryker Corp.' But I'm sure you already knew that." Elias said.

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure I knew that." Adam said.

"I guess you could talk to her if you wanted. But I suggest being easy on her, I mean, she did just almost die and kinda lost everything and everyone she once knew. So, there's that." Elias said. Adam thought about it, He could talk to this girl and see what she knew, but she was already broken and Adam didn't want to push her plus he already knew most of her story. Or he could go ask about that guard's, Sam, Promotion. And it wasn't like he couldn't just do one later, he had time.

Choice

[Talk with Riley]

[Go ask about Sam's relocation]

• edited June 2015

[Do it yourself] This guy acts a bit fishy for me.

Great part :)

Carmen Dominguez "Fuck. I Don't want to risk it. I'll have to wait until they get closer." Carmen said as she sank down below the wall.

• Thanks!!!! but you kinda forgot to vote on Santiago's choice.

[Do it yourself] This guy acts a bit fishy for me. [Go ask about Sam's relocation] Great part

• Huh, you're right. That's odd, but I added it in.

Thanks!!!! but you kinda forgot to vote on Santiago's choice.

• Thanks!

Huh, you're right. That's odd, but I added it in.

• [Do it yourself]

This is great I just got caught up. Sorry I haven't read for a while just be busy, but I should be able to Keep up now.

Carmen Dominguez "Fuck. I Don't want to risk it. I'll have to wait until they get closer." Carmen said as she sank down below the wall.

• [Do it yourself] Fuck that. He's probably a fucking hitman hired by the Network

• Santiago Martinez

"I'll go find him. Just stay here." Santiago said as he began walking away. Samu wouldn't be far, just inside the captain's quarters. Santiago approached the back of the boat and walked towards the wooden door that led into the captain's room. Santiago grabbed the handle and pushed the door open walking in, closing the door behind him. He looked around the room and didn't see anyone at first, then he saw them and froze in place, as did they. Samu and Arile were both in bed together. They just stood still looking at each other until Santiago adverted his eyes.

"Um... Some. Uh, People wanted to. Talk with you." Santiago said, going red in the face. "I'm just going to leave now.." He said as he walked towards the door.

"Uh, Santiago could you do me favor and not say a word about this." Samu said. Santiago stayed silent as he walked out back onto the ship's deck. He walked back towards mid-ship where he found the man he was talking with standing.

"They're coming." Santiago said, trying to ignore everything that just happened.

"Good." The man said. "Now we can get to work. I hate just standing around feeling useless."

"Trust me, I know the feeling." Santiago grumbled.

"Alright, Alright. Everyone listen up!" A voice yelled, Santiago turned around and saw Samu, who shot him a 'Not a word' glance. "We're ahead of scheduled. Which is good. Now, We have three ship full of men. Each ship is a 'team' Each team will be split into smaller squadrons as deemed necessary. we are designated Yellow team. Meaning we are supposed to hunker down in the inner city and wait to ambush those assholes as they march through. A smaller squadron of Yellow team, deemed Orange Squad will be responsible for gathering all civilians and leading them to the Brooklyn Museum safe zone. The code word for the safe zone is The Alamo. Protect this location with your lives." Samu said.

"Now the other two ships designated are. Green and Blue team. Green team is our demolition and our first line of defense. They will blow up the last standing bridge leading into Brooklyn, The Brooklyn Bridge. Once that bridge is blow Brooklyn will be virtually inaccessible by land. Now Blue team is our support team. They will lag behind and stay in cover. They have heavy artillery and sniper support. All we need to do is ask. They will fire on command. " Arile said.

"Now, Orange squad. Getting the civilians should be easy. Most of them already are grouped together at the hospital. Some are still scattered around thought, we don't need to get them all. Just get as many as you can. Go door to door if you want. But make sure they Alamo is safe and locked down before firing begins. Hoorah." Samu finnished.

"Hoorah." The assembled crowd responded.

Lucia Martinez, One hour later.

Lucia was just sitting back enjoying her food and staring out the open window when suddenly the door burst open, multiple people came through the door, Doctors, Nurses, and Lucia spotted Azumi in with the crowd.

"What's going on?" Lucia asked. One of the doctors walked up to her and looked her over.

"Be careful when you move her. Very careful. You might rip the stitching." He said as he stood back up and walked out. Most of the crowd followed him but a nurse and Azumi stayed behind.

"We need to move you to a different location." The nurse said.

"Will you please tell me whats going on?" Lucia asked.

"Some people just showed up on a boat. They are armed and forcing us all to go to the Brooklyn museum. Everyone's scared. They won't say who they are. I think they might be Network." Azumi said.

"Network? Hell no. I am getting out of here." Lucia said as she tried to sit up but the pain forced her back down.

"We can't run. They're everywhere." Azumi said. "I'm sorry."

"Would you give me a hand moving her?" The nurse asked.

"Yeah." Azumi said. Together her and the nurse lifted her out of the bed and onto a wheel chair.

"You know where to go. Don't try anything. The Network are dangerous people." The nurse said.

"I wont try anything. I promise." Azumi said as she began pushing Lucia down the hallway.

"Why would they come here?" Lucia asked.

"You're asking the wrong person." Azumi said.

"This way, This way! Move! Let's go!" A solider at the front door was corralling people through out the building. Once outside Lucia saw people filing onto buses.

"Those buses are from the high school." Azumi said.

"How do you know?" Lucia asked.

"That was my bus." Azumi said.

"How the hell are we going to get a wheelchair onto a bus?" Lucia asked.

"Some of them have wheelchair lifts." Azumi said.

"Great." Lucia said.

"Everyone off! Lets go! Inside the building!" The man yelled as he moved people off the bus. Once Lucia was off Azumi pushed her through the doors into the museum. A lot of people were inside milling around and chattering quickly. Everyone looked scared. Lucia noticed a man standing near the front on top of a table.

"Everyone listen up!" The man yelled.

"If you're going to kill us just do it!" Someone in the crowd yelled.

"My name is Samu Kuusi." The man continued ignore the comment. "I am second in command of the New York Resistance. I can assure you that we are here to help you. Not hurt you. The Network have had their eyes set on Brooklyn for quite some time now. We are here to make sure that doesn't happen. You are free to move around the museum, but we ask that you remain indoors at all times. No exceptions. We also ask that you listen to the soldiers." Samu said.

"What he said is true." A man said climbing onto the table with him. "I, Adam Smith chief of police, am committing all of my officers to protecting this city as we speak. We've had intel that the Network were going to attack, but we didn't have enough man power to do anything. But now we can hold them off. Now we can send these fuckers back to the hell they came from." Adam said. Adam stock out his hand and Samu grabbed it and they shook hand briefly before disappearing below the crowd. Lucia noticed a boy walking up towards her with a pad of paper and a pencil. He looked pretty young actually.

"I am collecting names so we can have accurate data as to how many civilians we have in here. What is your name?" He asked.

"Lucia Martinez." Lucia responded.

"Lucia?" He asked.

"Yeah, Is something wrong?" Lucia asked.

"Lucia!" He yelled throwing down the pad of paper and wrapping Lucia in a hug.

"Who the hell are you?" Lucia asked.

"It's me, Santiago." he said.

"I thought I would never see you again! Wheres mom and dad?" Lucia asked.

"There... It doesn't matter now. What matters now is making it through this. why are you in a wheelchair?" Santiago asked.

"Took you long enough to notice. I kinda got shot a few times." Lucia said.

"And where's Bailey?" He asked. Lucia stayed silent and dropped her head. "I see. I'm so sorry." Santiago said.

"At least we're back together now, right?" Lucia asked.

"Right." Santiago said. Just then Lucia heard a loud booming explosion.

"what the hell was that? Are they attacking?" Lucia asked.

"Just calm down." Santiago said as he stood up. "Everyone calm down! That explosion was our people blowing the bridge. We are safe. I promise you." Santiago yelled and went back to Lucia.

"This is going to one long night." Lucia said.

"Damn right." Santiago said.

Dillon

"We can't just kill him." Dillon said.

"Alright. Bring him out." Robert said. A few moment later a teen aged boy was dragged in front of them. Robert pulled out his knife and put it up to his face. "Today is your lucky day son. We aren't going to kill you. But if you step out of line, or even breath funny, I will personally stick a knife in your skull." He said, then cut the rope that was holding his hands together. "Get him out of here and don't let him out of your sight."

"I hope you know what you're doing." Angelo said.

"I hope I do to." Robert said. "Dillon, a word please." He said. Dillon stood up and walked over to Robert. "walk with me." He said and the two began walking.

"What did I do?" Dillon asked.

"You didn't do anything. I wanted to talk to you about something else. You see, the Network are becoming less and less prominent in Texas so they are resorting to any means necessary to survive." Robert said.

"So?" Dillon asked.

"As we push them farther back, they keep getting more desperate. Texas is an important foothold to Mexico. And they indefinably want Mexico, maybe even more than they wanted the US." Robert said.

"Who wants Mexico, the place is a dump." Dillon said.

"No. Not at all. Mexico was in a secret agreement with the US and together they build a weapon so powerful it could probably send man kind back to the stone age. Its located in La Paz, or at least thats where it was. They may have moved it." Robert said.

"Why are you telling me this?" Dillon asked.

"Because we need Mexico on our side if everything goes to shit." Robert said.

"What do you think I can do about it?" Dillon asked.

"I want you to go to Mexico. Find some Network agents and kill them, cause some panic and frame the Network. Anything that will convince Mexico that were with them. You're the smarter than all of our force combined. If someone can get Mexico on our side, it would be you." Robert said.

"You want me to go to Mexico?" Dillon asked.

"Yes. Cross over at Laredo. Then do whatever you can. I have faith in you." Robert said.

"What about you guys?" Dillon asked.

"We have comms now, possibly even satellite if we can fix it. The Network's on the retreat. We will know if they're coming before they know they're coming. We can hold our own. My men might not be bright, but they are the finest damn war machines on the planet." Robert said. "Plus, one of our men discovered a weapons stash full of ammo and guns. We'll be in heaven. And if you don't want to go alone I can send a group with you."

Choice

[Go to Mexico]

[No way Jose]

• [Go to Mexico]

If he gets a group of people with him, why not

Santiago Martinez "I'll go find him. Just stay here." Santiago said as he began walking away. Samu wouldn't be far, just inside the capta

• Where is everyone?

Santiago Martinez "I'll go find him. Just stay here." Santiago said as he began walking away. Samu wouldn't be far, just inside the capta

• [Go to Mexico]

If this means a chance to get Mexico to their side it should be worth a try.

• Hey, just wanted to stop and ask if you guys were liking the story thus far. I also want to know your favorite character, least favorite character, Favorite part, least favorite part,Do you have any recommendations for improvements, street address and social security number, and all that good stuff. Also, feel free to just leave any random thoughts or questions. Constructive criticism is welcome

• Hey, just wanted to stop and ask if you guys were liking the story thus far.

Absolutely! This story is awesome, your writing is great and the plot in general is very exciting

I also want to know your favorite character,

I think it's tied between Carmen and Samu. Both of them are great characters and I enjoy their storylines the most at the moment.

least favorite character,

Huh... hard question. Mosaiah perhaps? I still liked him, because he was an absolutely intimidating villain and genuinely scary, but he was also a complete monster, so I also hate him by default.

Favorite part,

Either the part where Carmen, Riley and Ann escaped from Stryker or the part where Santiago killed Mosaiah.

least favorite part

I don't think I have a least favourite part, at least none I could recall right now.

Do you have any recommendations for improvements,

Not really. You're a great writer and this story is amazing, so I can't really think of anything in particular which you could improve

Hey, just wanted to stop and ask if you guys were liking the story thus far. I also want to know your favorite character, least favorite cha

• Thanks to you!

Hey, just wanted to stop and ask if you guys were liking the story thus far. Absolutely! This story is awesome, your writing is grea

• [Go to Mexico]

• Do I like it: Hell yeah

Favorite character: Samu

Least Favorite character: Don't really have one

Favorite part: The Resistance parts

Least favorite part: Hard to think one now.

Hey, just wanted to stop and ask if you guys were liking the story thus far. I also want to know your favorite character, least favorite cha

• thanks!

finlander posted: »

Do I like it: Hell yeah Favorite character: Samu Least Favorite character: Don't really have one Favorite part: The Resistance parts Least favorite part: Hard to think one now.

• edited July 2015

Okay. It's almost midnight where I live. I just spent THREE FUCKING HOURS on a new part, and I was for once in my damn life happy with what I came up with. Then one fucking click of a button later, it's all gone. Everything I just did for three hours, is now history. So now, instead of trying to re-write it all and get super pissed off. I'm going to try to sleep, and try again in the morning. So sorry guys. So sorry.

• I know that feeling, that sucks :(

Okay. It's almost midnight where I live. I just spent THREE FUCKING HOURS on a new part, and I was for once in my damn life happy with what

• Tell me about it, that happens 50% of the time with me mainly of my crappy PC. I would suggest saving your work more often, it can save you some trouble.

Okay. It's almost midnight where I live. I just spent THREE FUCKING HOURS on a new part, and I was for once in my damn life happy with what

• Katie DiCanto

"Volpe, target en route. T minus 20." The radio said. Katie checked through her scope once more to make sure the area was clear.

"Copy that." Katie said. From her position on top of a building she could see the target approaching from down the road. A white van.

"T minus ten." The radio said. Katie noticed the van slow down and change direction, turning into the parking lot. It came to a stop next to an adjacent building.

"Execute." Katie said. She lined up her sights on the driver and pulled the trigger, taking him out of the game. Then she pulled the bolt back chambering another round before taking out the passenger.

"Moving in on the package." The radio said.

"Negative. Do not secure package until I regroup." Katie said.

"10-4, holding position." The radio said. Katie looked over the area once more then stood up, taking her sniper rifle. It was an M24 SWS, probably the best weapon anyone could have, or at least in her opinion. She rushed down the stairs and through the door into the parking lot.

"Friendlies on your right." A voice said. Katie slightly turned her head and saw them, a small group crouched near the corner of the building. Katie waved them over and they stood and walked over to her.

"You're looking good today, Volpe." One said.

"Eyes on the target, Denver." Katie said.

"That was a compliment, you were supposed to say thank you." Denver replied.

"And you're supposed to focus on the mission, not my ass." Katie said.

"touche." Denver said.

Six months ago.

"Can anyone tell me why this plan will fail?" The professor asked, looking around the room and motioning to the diagram on the whiteboard. "Ah, miss DiCanto." He said noticing Katie's raised hand.

"Well, they left their left flank completely open and they are focusing all fire to the right. If anyone we able to stage an ambush from the left they could easily wipe out half of the force before anyone could do anything." Katie said. She saw the professor smile.

"Exactly. Miss DiCanto, you are an extremely bright student." The professor said.

"Thank you, Mr. Gardner." Katie said.

"Well, that looks like all the time we have for club tonight, but be sure to come back next week when we start talking about the battle of the bulge." Mr. Gardner said. Katie started to collect her things. Mr. Gardner was such a war nerd, but then again, so was she. Anything from the Punic wars to Midway and beyond. She knew them all. After collecting everything she stood and walked to the door, but as she reached for the handle it flew open on it's own making Katie jump back. Standing in the doorway was Greg Boyd another student at the university. He was pale, looked scared, and out of breath.

"Are you alright Greg?" Katie asked.

"The TV, turn it to the news, now." Greg huffed. Mr. Gardner complied and turned on the TV he had in his room, flipping it over to the news. 'Suicide bomber kills three injures dozens.' The caption read.

"Approximately three minutes ago, a suicide bomber blew himself up on a busy intersection causing multiple cars to explode and more cars to crash into them. We are receiving reports that this is not an isolated attack, as many attacks like this are being reported around the US. We urge all those listening to stay indoors. We will have the names of those killed as soon as possible." The lady on the TV said.

"God almighty, what's going on out there?" Katie asked.

"5th street? That's only a few blocks away. You'd think we would've hear that." Mr. Gardner said.

"Should we go help them?" Katie asked.

"No! When I left the dorms to come here, I saw the military just shooting at people, almost randomly. I don't want to take the chance." Greg said.

"Greg's right. We're staying here. Call your parents if you can. Tell them you're alright." Mr. Gardner said. Katie reached for her phone and pulled it out of her pocket. She turned it on an found her dad's number and pressed the call button. She could hear the ringing.

"We now have the names of two of the three killed in the suicide bombing today. Rachel Rose and Giorgio DiCanto. We are still working to find the name of the third..." The news anchor said. At first the word's didn't register. Katie stood patiently waiting for her dad to pick up the phone. But then it his her like a brick. She dropped her phone and sank to her knees, with tears falling like a waterfall. She could feel kind arm wrapping around her, but ignored them as she continued to weep.

Three months later

"Katie, I'm cold." She said. She was the youngest out of the three of them, Ellie.

"I know Ellie, I am to." Katie said. "I'll go get some more logs for the fire. Mom's in the other room if you need anything." Katie said as she stood up. "I'll be right back." She said, lightly kissing Ellie's forehead. Katie grabbed her coat and reached for her hat on top the shelf, but in the process knocked something to the ground. She bent down to pick it up and saw it was a green scarf. She then remembered her father had given it to her, only a few years ago. Just thinking of him wanted to make her cry. But she forced the tears down as she tied on the scarf and headed outside. The bitter cold blasted her in the face as she walked through the snow towards the wood pile. Once she'd picked up a few logs she looked over the pile. "It's getting pretty small. I'll have to cut some more wood soon." Katie remarked. "But that's a job for tomorrow." She said to herself as she walked back to the house. But when she was only about two yards away form the door she heard a blood curdling scream. She dropped the logs and ran inside, grabbing a baseball bat along the way.

"Ellie? Melanie?" Katie called.

"Katie?" Melanie's voice asked. Katie moved towards the sound of her voice. She saw her standing in the doorway to her mom's bedroom. "Ellie thought she hear something form in here. I went to go check it out, I thought she was sleeping.. But.. But I thinks she's dead." Melanie said, as she began to cry.

"Calm down, Calm down. It's alright." Katie said, as she tightly hugged her younger sister. "Let me go look at it." Katie said as she let go of her and walked into the room. Nothing looked out of place. The room was spotless, just how mom liked it. What was out of place was the bottle of pills laying empty on the nightstand. Katie rushed over to her mother and placed her ear to her chest. No heartbeat. No pulse. No nothing. She then reached over and picked up the bottle of pills. "She took enough of these to kill an ox." Katie remarked.

"Is mom okay?" Ellie's voice asked.

"Don't come in here." Katie responded.

"But..." Ellie protested.

"I said don't." Katie repeated. "Get your stuff together. We're leaving."

"Where are we going?" Ellie asked.

"Somewhere where the bad people can't hurt us." Katie said.

One month later

"Katie, wake up." a gruff man's voice said. Katie jumped and opened her eyes, pulling up her sheets to cover her.

"Carlson, how the hell did you get in here?" Katie asked.

"I'm the groundskeeper. I have keys to all the houses in the neighborhood. So play nice." The old man laughed.

"Why are you in here?" Katie asked.

"Bernard called a council meeting, we are going to start as soon as you get there." Carlson said. Then after a few moments of silence he spoke again. "Come on, what are you waiting for?" He asked.

"I'm waiting for you to leave so I can get up." Katie said. She watched the old man's face turn red.

"I'm so sorry, I forgot. Just meet at city hall." The old man said, without looking at her. He then turned and left, closing the door behind him. Katie sighed and laid back letting the sheets fall around her. For a moment she didn't want to get up. She just wanted to lay there. But eventually she sat up, throwing the covers off. She placed her foot on the cold floor and stood, walking across the room towards her dresser. In the mirror she saw her reflection staring back at her. Her red hair hung free as usual. Her green eyes pierced her soul. Katie opened up her dresser and pulled out some cloths to cover her naked body. A green T-shirt and a pair of jeans. Good enough. But something was missing. Her scarf. She grabbed the scarf of her nightstand and put it on. Now she looked better. She quickly put on her shoes and walked out of the bedroom. She saw Ellie laying on the couch.

"What are you doing out here?" Katie asked.

"My bed was to cold, so I couldn't sleep. So I came out here, and it's no better." Ellie wined.

"Then go into my bed, I promise it's warm." Katie said. "I'll be back soon." She said kissing Ellie's cheek.

"Have fun talking about the escaped goats." Ellie said.

"How do you know about the goats?" Katie asked.

"Carlson told me, he always does. He said he might take me fishing someday." Ellie said.

"Carlson's a good guy, I'll talk to him about it. I thin you'll like fishing. Now go back to sleep." Katie said. Ellie pushed herself off the couch and walked towards Katie's room.

"Bye." Ellie said.

"Bye." Katie replied as she walked out the door into the darkness of early morning.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to be perverted or anything." A voice said startling Katie. She turned and saw Carlson standing next to her. "I didn't purposely walk in on you. I just forgot you sleep like that." He said.

"It's okay Carlson. It's no big deal." Katie said as the two walked together.

"If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see much." Carlson said. Katie's face went red with embarrassment and she slapped Carlson on the arm.

"Carlson!" She said as the old man began to laugh. After walking for a little bit Carlson broke the silence.

"You should do something with that hair of yours." He said.

"What do you mean?" Katie asked.

"Your hair, It's all just hanging free. It'll just get in the way." Carlson said.

"I'm not cutting my hair really short if that's what your implying." Katie said.

"No, no." Carlson said as he dug in his overall pocket. He pulled out small black band. "Allow me." He said grabbing Katie's hair. "My wife used to have me do this for her all the time. But now she just let's it hang loose." Carlson said as he finished. Her hair was now back into a ponytail.

"How do I look?" Katie asked, taking a fake pose.

"it looks like you can actually see." Carlson said as he walked up the stairs and pulled the door open, holding it for Katie. Katie thanked him and walked in.

"Katie, I'm so glad you could join us. Carlson, what took so long?" Bernard asked.

"I walked in on her. Again." Carlson said.

"Nice. Make sure to send me the pics." Bernard said. Katie made a disgusted face.

"That dirty Bernard." One of the older council ladies said.

"bad joke. Bad joke. Anyways, lets get started." Bernard said. "We have two escaped goats. They were last seen around the norther fields, they aren't a high priority, but if you're up there keep an eye open. Jasmine, I'll leave it to you to organize a one-day search party." Bernard said. Then his face went stone solid. "Now onto more urgent matters. Friendly satellites have confirmed massive hostile movements directly south of here. We suspect they are going to march on D.C." Bernard said.

"Why does that effect us?" A council member asked.

"Because..." Katie began but the hushed herself.

"No, go on miss DiCanto." Bernard said.

"Because, we lay between them and D.C. And we all know that the quickest way between two points is a line. They won't just go around us. They'll got straight through us." Katie said.

"Exactly." Bernard said.

"What do we do?" Jasmine asked.

"Nothing. We lay low and don't present ourselves as a threat. The city of Mount Vernon will not be attacked unless we attack them." Bernard said.

"And what if they demand our surrender?" Katie asked.

"We surrender." Bernard said.

"So were just supposed to give them our women and children to rape and torture?" Carlson asked.

"If need be then yes. We can't fight them off. They are to powerful." Bernard said.

"Wait, do you hear that?" Katie asked.

"What?" Bernard asked.

"That." She said as the sound came again, but this time louder. A siren. "They're coming. And definitely not in peace."

"How do you know?" Bernard asked.

"We have different alarms for peace and war." Katie said.

"We have no choice. We either fight or run." Bernard said. "Katie?"

"I have to get my sisters out of here." Katie said.

"Okay, lets move! Quickly now!" Bernard said. Katie stood and rushed out the door, running down the street back towards her house. She threw the door open and found Ellie and Melanie in the front room.

"What are these sirens for?" Melanie asked.

"They're coming. We need to go." Katie said. "Don't grab anything. Just run." Katie said as she grabbed Ellie's hand and rushed out the door. She looked back to make sure Melanie was following. As they ran Katie felt the earth shake behind her, she looked back and saw a mortar go off, throwing people in all directions. Katie ducked behind a building and Melanie joined them.

"We need to cross that street." Katie said.

"I'm scared." Melanie said.

"It's okay to be scared. It's what you do with it that counts. Now when I count to three, run across and don't look back. Wait for us outside he walls." Katie said.

"Okay." Melanie said.

"One. Two. Three." Katie counted, pulling out her pistol. On three, she fired a few shots down the road as Melanie ran across. Katie could see the bullets nipping at the ground near her feet, but not hitting her. Once she made it across Katie turned to Ellie. "Stay to the right of me at all times. And if I fall down, don't come back." Katie said.

"I don't want to leave you." Ellie said.

"I know. But you don't have a choice. I love you Ellie." Katie said, holding tight to Ellie.

"I love you to." Ellie said. After a few moments there was a break in the gunfire.

"Now!" Katie yelled jumping up. She ran across the road and could instantly hear the bullets whizzing past her, but none hit her. Once she got across she turned to her right and look down. Her heart sank when she didn't see Ellie. She looked back out into the road and saw her, laying in the middle of the road face down, blood pooling around her head. She could see a man standing near her, his gun still pointed at her. In a fit of anger Katie pulled out her pistol and took aim, firing everything she had left at the man, who was dead after the first bullet hit.

"Ellie!" Katie screamed, then she tried to cross back into the road but gunfire kept her from returning. "Ellie! Ellie.." She cried.

Three days later

The two of them walked in silence. Neither saying a word of what had happened in the previous days. They both hadn't said a word since they found each other. Katie still had the blood on her hands from when she stuck a knife through a solider who was about to shoot Melanie. Katie will never forget the look of disgust and terror Melanie had given her. She was nothing more than a monster in her eyes. As they walked, Melanie suddenly tripped over something in the ground. She landed face down and didn't move.

"Get up, we have to go." Katie said.

"I can't.. I can't go any farther." Melanie said.

"Fine, we'll stay here for a while." Katie said, noting how tired she was to. Soon after saying that she collapsed to the ground and her eyes fluttered shut almost instantly. The next time she opened her eyes it was almost dark out. She forced herself off the ground and walked over to Melanie. "Hey, get up. We need to go." Katie said nudging her. But she didn't respond, so Katie flipped her over onto her back and fell backwards whens he saw Melanie's fixed gaze, staring up into the trees above.

"No! No, no, no, no, no." Katie said as she desperately shook her sister's body. "wake up. Please wake up." She sobbed, but she knew it was hopeless. She looked up and in the distance she could see a camp fire burning. It was a network camp. Katie gritted her teeth and picked up her knife walking towards the camp...

Blood was everywhere, on the knife, on the tents on her face. Each and every one of those fuckers died last night. Katie's only wish was that there would've been more for her to kill. The blood dripped from her hands, but it wasn't hers. No, she hadn't even been hit. Something caught her attention. A dead woman by the fire was holding a map, she looked like she was the commanding officer. Katie kicked the body off and picked up the map looking it over. All the Network camp locations, munitions dumps, shipping routes, on and on. All right here in the palm of her hand. She looked at the map and noticed one camp near her position. It was a comms center. She stuffed the map into her pocket and went into the supply tent. She grabbed anything that looked useful. Grenades, ammo, explosives, and a sniper rifle she'd found on a dead man. She soved it all into a backpack and took off for the comms center.

Two hours later

"Why is it not working?" Katie asked herself as she clicked the detonator but nothing happened. She clicked it again and again waiting for the entire place to blow sky high. But nothing happened. "Fucking piece of shit." Katie said as she threw the detonator down the hill.

"Trust me, the machine didn't malfunction. It was strictly user error." A man said behind her. Katie jumped and swung her rifle around, but the man was to fast he grabbed the barrel and snatched it away before she could do anything. "Oh, come on, don't act like we didn't know you were coming. You were a little sloppy at the forest camp and one of our women got away and told us everything." The man said as he pulled out some rope. "Now are we going to do this the easy way.." He said as he stepped aside and a bigger man holding a baseball bat stepped up. "Or the hard way?" He said. Katie quickly grabbed her knife and lunged at the first man but he was to quick and easily side stepped her attack. "Hard way it is." He said as the bigger man swung the bat, hitting Katie in the back of her leg causing her to go down. Then the man hit her right in the ribs which caused her to double over, almost crying in pain. And to finish it, he smacked her in the face with the bat causing her to black out.

Black spots filled her vision as she opened her eyes, and not to her surprise her found it difficult to open her right eye. Her head was pounding and she could barely move due to her injuries. She looked around and noticed she was in some sort of room, tied to a chair with her shirt missing. There was nothing in the room except one table. The door flew open and two people walked in, one man and one woman.

"Good she's awake, now for the fun part." The man said as he produced a length of rope and put it around Katie's neck pulling it as tight as he could, Katie gasped for air as she frantically tried to free her hands. Just as her lungs were on fire and she was about to black out the man let go and Katie gasped for air as the spots slowly went away. "Just could that as a friendly introduction to what we will do to you." The man said. "What's next?" He asked.

"We got the water tank all full and ready." The woman said.

"Waterboarding, so old school. Let's try something new and exiting, like this." The man said as he pulled something out of his pocket, a needle with a strange yellow fluid in it. He waved it in front of Katie's face. "This is a chemically engineered biotoxin. It will attack your motor system meaning you won't be able to move

Sign in to comment in this discussion.