Whats The Point?

Comments

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited May 2015

You do realize that Telltale used to make family friendly games, right?

Back then, an announcement that they were making a Walking Dead game was as out of their comfort zone as a Minecraft announcement is currently. I'm certainly not saying everybody has to like the game or anything like that, but let's at least hold off on jumping to conclusions for a while. ;)

MyTwoCents posted: »

Oh gawd.. This game has to be focused towards little children. As a way of introducing them to telltale. Hard to take the idea of minecra

• edited May 2015

"Minecraft" is, yes.. It is a builder / survival game.. I've played it. It was somewhat fun.. But I wasn't playing it for the story, lol.. Had none.. If it was a story driven game, i wouldn't of played it.. As it would be VERY hard to take it seriously.. Even as a comical play.. Would remind me too much of the LEGO games for kids.. Even all the youtube story tellers for minecraft make it for a child audience.. 5 year olds 8 year olds.. As for borderlands.. I never said it was for a younger audience.. I only used it as a comparison.. As a goofy story.. something to play to kill a bit of time.. not something to emotionally connect to the characters or story.. As in.. Minecraft story mode is prly going to be a story game for children that is perhaps comical..

EDIT: In any case i mentioned this above.. Perhaps it was missed..

choircorgis posted: »

I hate to break this to you, but not all games are centered around an emotional, gripping journey. Even though it might be what you personal

• Did you read what i said above in full? I think it is a fair assessment. Just saying.. Usually people read the first couple sentences and base a response on 'that' without having read the entire piece.. Thus giving them the wrong conclusion surrounding the post itself.

You do realize that Telltale used to make family friendly games, right? Back then, an announcement that they were making a Walking Dead g

• Not all games have to be judged on the same merit as Walking Dead, which has value derived from interpersonal character relationships. Sometimes, stories can set out to have a different purpose. If you don't want to check out Minecraft because you aren't convinced it will have character relationships on the same level as Walking Dead, that's fine as everybody has their own tastes and it does seem highly unlikely that it will have a story as strong as Walking Dead. However, that's OK as perhaps Minecraft: Story Mode is setting out to do something different entirely from, as you put it, the "dramatic epics of storytelling like The Walking Dead / Game of Thrones." It doesn't make it objectively better or worse, it's just a combination of personal preference and appreciating the story for what it set out to do in the first place. Just as you don't go to comedy movies for deep social commentary, you probably won't get "dramatic epics" from Minecraft, but that's OK as that's likely not the story Minecraft: Story Mode will try to tell in the first place.

"Minecraft" is, yes.. It is a builder / survival game.. I've played it. It was somewhat fun.. But I wasn't playing it for the story, lol.. H

• I did read the whole thing - even so, it seems like you are chastising the game for appealing to children and saying that it's a bad idea for Telltale to go outside their current demographic - ignoring that it was what they did for Walking Dead.

Did you read what i said above in full? I think it is a fair assessment. Just saying.. Usually people read the first couple sentences and ba

• edited May 2015

I agree.. I don't think it will be that type of story. (as stated above) I'm sure families will get a kick out of it, as will the younger audience.

But as I would find it hard to take seriously, and have no children from which i could have a 'family' play.. Nor am I a child myself.. I won't be buying it. Nothing wrong with that, right? It will serve a purpose.. I just worry that they might loose money, considering the current customer-base in it's larger portions..

Edited

Don't want that to impact future games.

Not all games have to be judged on the same merit as Walking Dead, which has value derived from interpersonal character relationships. Somet

• edited May 2015

"there is nothing wrong with wanting to make children laugh"

"I'm sure there are parents that would like to get this to play with their kids"

etc..

beyond that i just voice concerns taking into account the current userbase/minecraft.. absent spending on an advertisement budget to which there are risks in of itself.. etc..

So... Yep yep :)

I did read the whole thing - even so, it seems like you are chastising the game for appealing to children and saying that it's a bad idea for Telltale to go outside their current demographic - ignoring that it was what they did for Walking Dead.

• But as I would find it hard to take seriously, and have no children from which i could have a 'family' play.. Nor am I a child myself.. I won't be buying it. Nothing wrong with that, right? It will serve a purpose..

Agreed, nothing wrong with that at all. I guess I'm just disillusioned from all the people here assuming the game will objectively be bad just because they don't like it and think that it will suck because it's not a Walking Dead clone with tough moral choices.

I just worry that they might lose money, considering the current customer-base in it's larger portions..

I wouldn't worry about it. Telltale is becoming a big enough studio to where their reputation from previous titles will in part generate some word of mouth solely due to it coming from Telltale. They won't have to advertise the game any more or any less than other titles as I imagine the viral word of mouth will do wonders, just as it did for the original Minecraft game. Whenever a game does really well (or in Telltale's case, episodes do well), storefronts like Steam or the App Store tend to give titles prominent placement - and more so if it's a big or popular franchise people recognize.

That, and Telltale's games are cheaper than typical games to make so they don't have the problem triple A retail titles do where they have to sell tons of titles to make a profit. Even on the off chance the game doesn't do well, Telltale has tons of other games down the pipeline that will save them, like Walking Dead: Season 3 or the Marvel project.

I agree.. I don't think it will be that type of story. (as stated above) I'm sure families will get a kick out of it, as will the younger au

• edited May 2015

Marvel Project?

edited

sigh --> How are they ever going to find time to continue current titles.. TFTB is already way behind.. I think someone said 7 months and only 2 episodes been released.. The walking dead season 3 is delayed until next year.. The previous seasons there was 1 year between the seasons.. and 7 months after season 1 ended we had a DLC.. already going to be much much longer.. I really like some of their games and am just frustrated i'll have to wait even longer now..

If marvel is based from avengers.. I dunno.. I never did like the idea of bringing all those leads together.. only makes for an action-packed movie blockbuster with no real story depth.. a light show absent meaning.. Which is fine.. if your in the mood for it.. Like the new mad max movie.. I'd like to see that, hehe.. prly have a better story then avengers though, even with all the crazy action.. but it isn't following 20 superheroes with individual backstories that stand alone; and some squished together plot..

I 'mostly' like games with amazing stories when i have a day to myself to play.. I like getting wrapped up in something.. I mean.. avengers is no game of thrones.. so all those hero leads pulled together.. it would be better to follow a single heroes story as to have nothing subtract from that.. dark knight could be interesting..

I never did get combining all those heroes together, lol.. stupid.. Indevidual stories were good. you get too many gaps and subtractions from the individual when you combine like that.. money grab them movies.. I saw the first avengers.. gave it a 6.8/10.. something to watch, funny scenes.. action packed.. good cgi, but yeah.. I like it.. just not in my top 10 by no means.

But as I would find it hard to take seriously, and have no children from which i could have a 'family' play.. Nor am I a child myself.. I wo

• Minecraft is very popular in my community, my kids love the fan made movies on you tube. I cant wait to introduce them to a new way to interact with the minecraftverse.

• https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/94655/marvel-and-telltale-games-teaming-up-for-2017

A while back in late April, Telltale had announced they are making a game from a Marvel franchise due in 2017. That's all they've said about it so far.

Marvel Project? edited sigh --> How are they ever going to find time to continue current titles.. TFTB is already way behind.. I th

• interesting.. I guess we'll have to see.. hope it is good.. as for 2017.. phew.. at least it won't be ahead of current titles i'm still waiting for, lol.. but.. it may delay the next game of thrones entry or.. meh.. hopefully they are hiring a lot of people so they can do 3 or 4 releases at a time.. Lol.

https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/94655/marvel-and-telltale-games-teaming-up-for-2017 A while back in late April, Telltale had announced they are making a game from a Marvel franchise due in 2017. That's all they've said about it so far.

• I hope your kids have fun :)

Doc_Diggler posted: »

Minecraft is very popular in my community, my kids love the fan made movies on you tube. I cant wait to introduce them to a new way to interact with the minecraftverse.

• this whining is starting to get unoriginal and boring.

sorry, find something else to bitch about Minecraft.

• minecraft has story if you make it

• I'm gonna have to call Mrs Krabs.

I'm sorry that crab nudity offends you.

• I just have 1 question. Are the graphics going to be like the Original Minecraft game?

• We don't know yet as Telltale has not confirmed any details. The "Info Quest II" Interactive FAQ did say the art style would be "inspired by Minecraft" but that's all we know (and not very specific). A recent tweet by Telltale's PR Guy, Job Stauffer, implied we will finally see more info on Minecraft: Story Mode later this summer at some convention - my guess being Minecon (July 4-5).

I just have 1 question. Are the graphics going to be like the Original Minecraft game?

• hmm ok, cuz I'm not a fan of the graphics, even tho I would like to see what this game brings to us.

We don't know yet as Telltale has not confirmed any details. The "Info Quest II" Interactive FAQ did say the art style would be "inspired by

• Telltale usually does a great job at thinking outside of the box for the art style of their newer games. For instance, giving Game of Thrones an oil-paining art style was pretty cool! I wouldn't worry about the art not looking good. :)

hmm ok, cuz I'm not a fan of the graphics, even tho I would like to see what this game brings to us.

• Yep that's true. Thanks :)

Telltale usually does a great job at thinking outside of the box for the art style of their newer games. For instance, giving Game of Thrones an oil-paining art style was pretty cool! I wouldn't worry about the art not looking good.

• edited June 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwl9jiJ1A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyu7-Jcyl_8

Heres some good examples of the style i think they will use

Yep that's true. Thanks

• Hmm not really what I like but I'll give it a chance

Lehfeels posted: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwl9jiJ1A4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyu7-Jcyl_8 Heres some good examples of the style i think they will use

• Yeah I get that, but what's the point of being called Minecraft if there isn't anything like the original game? just guessing..

To clarify, that's what Lehfeels was guessing what the artstyle will look like. Telltale has not showed off the game yet, so we don't know w

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2015

To clarify, that's what Lehfeels was guessing what the artstyle will look like. Telltale has not showed off the game yet, so we don't know what the art style will be. All we know is that the artstyle will be "inspired by Minecraft," which is not shocking since Telltale tries to make their games feel faithful to the source material.

Hmm not really what I like but I'll give it a chance

• Yeah blind sniper indeed that is what i meant i feel telltale will go the minecraft 3d animation style route but hold the core minecraft idea in this style i feel the 3d style has alot more polished movements and animation while still looking blocky like minecraft so i feel this is the style they will use since its a pretty good style u can really make some good animations with this animation method

To clarify, that's what Lehfeels was guessing what the artstyle will look like. Telltale has not showed off the game yet, so we don't know w

• edited June 2015

Well its pretty much im guessing gonna they will use the 3d animation style i mentioned above but im sure telltale will keep the core idea in the telltale series of minecraft story mode im sure of it since this 3d style makes it stay blocky and look and feel like the minecraft experience while being improved graphic quality wise...

and overall if it did follow the minecraft looks of the actual game fully it would not look good trust me if you look at mineimator the animation program that program lets u do true minecraft animation but it looks clunky and yuck so i feel if they do the 3d style previously mentioned above by me it would hold the minecraft core style to heart but have a added tangy flavor of awesome 3d animation movements.

Yeah I get that, but what's the point of being called Minecraft if there isn't anything like the original game? just guessing..

• Well, that way is probably not that bad. It's just that I don't really like the whole pixelated thing

Lehfeels posted: »

Well its pretty much im guessing gonna they will use the 3d animation style i mentioned above but im sure telltale will keep the core idea i

• I've been happy with every game Telltale released so far, so I don't doubt that Minecraft Story Mode will be the same.
    Telltale makes great stories and great game, I'm pretty sure that they can think of something for this game because they can literally make a story out of anything.
    Anyways, as long as they don't place DRMs on their games, I will support 'em.

• after seeing your profile picture for some reason i could imagine an angry lee saying this lol

• Umm...well they probably wanted to make a story out of it?

• True dat @Wentberzerk

WentBerzerk posted: »

I've been happy with every game Telltale released so far, so I don't doubt that Minecraft Story Mode will be the same. Telltale makes great

• "Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

:P

Cope49 posted: »

I'll try.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited June 2015

When did you become a mod?

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda :P

• About a month ago, I think. You've only just noticed? lol

Cope49 posted: »

When did you become a mod?

• I agree.

minecraft has story if you make it

• To tell tales and make money.

• Borderlands had a story though...Minecraft has none.

People said the same thing about Tales from the Borderlands when that game came out, yet it's currently one of the higher rated Telltale series. Let's wait and see how Telltale interprets Minecraft before we go around saying the game is pointless.

• Although Borderlands does have a story, people didn't think it was "worthy" of being a Telltale game and thought it was just going to be about memes and guns. Just because Minecraft doesn't have a complex story, it doesn't mean Telltale can't use that universe to create a story of its own.

Scaeva posted: »

Borderlands had a story though...Minecraft has none.

• Alt text

#TeamSarah posted: »

Of course you are right Because milking a series and not milking a series are completely the exact same things right?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.