The Tales of Monkey Island Intro (Video!)

The intro to Tales of Monkey Island, via TTG's Youtube! Very minor spoilers. Worth watching because it shows a lot of improvement over everything we've seen so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5uDNhOiPg&fmt=22

Comments

• edited June 2009
    If it is just the intro why not it can not spoil the end or anything.
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If it is just the intro why not it can not spoil the end or anything.
    I'm too excited for the game. I'd rather not spoil the first few magical moments of a new Monkey Island game. Though I suppose it IS the non-playable part anyways. I will think about watching it. I just thought I should post it for everyone else to see at least, if they chose to watch it.
  • edited June 2009
    it's real, i only watched enough to see that it is, then i closed it.
  • edited June 2009
    I watched it... there is some played bits in it... Some funny new dialogue we have not seen yet... but Nothing anyone who reads a lot of the threads here would be surprised about.

We also see how the inventory works
  • edited June 2009
    It's most definitely real. I gave in and watched the whole thing. My god, I was confident in this game already, but it has already exceeded my expectations. This is DEFINITELY Monkey Island. It really doesn't spoil much either. I'm glad I watched it. Now to put it on repeat for the next six and a half days.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah if that was any indication I think they got the humor in the dialogue down....
  • edited June 2009
    The graphics are looking excellent. Also, the voices sound excellent. I don't hear any bad compression. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know if I got the b*lls to watch the video! :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    It's funny how those few three minutes were better than any little bit of Escape that exists anywhere. The graphics in the trailer and the screenshots were most definitely NOT finished graphics. The game is beautiful in motion.

Also,
    it's nice to hear that little jingle from before the theme song in Secret has made a return. :D
  • edited June 2009
    but I think you have the patience to wait ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Well i think this answers they couldnt get the original voice of lechuck still the guy did a good enough job!
  • edited June 2009
    This little video answers many questions. I can't fathom that there is anything to complain about after what I just saw.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah that's hilarious!
    The intro music sounds a little bit different from CMI and EMI, but its bloody good!
  • edited June 2009
    Everlast wrote: »
    Well i think this answers they couldnt get the original voice of lechuck still the guy did a good enough job!

You're right. :) Well, well, gotta sleep. The time is 03.05 am in Sweden now. :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    i agree. It looks good, im mostly worried about the jokes, i hope they get it down good. The gam looks awesome and interesting!
  • edited June 2009
    Some cool little details (minor) they added that I noticed.

While the ships are rocking the Cannons are rolling back and forth...

Awesome shot of the MI clouds"™" (Stormy this time) while Guybrush is "showboating"

Their faces are really expressive the brows and eyes especially..

LeChucks voice replacement is more than efficient... (I do not dig his beard though whats up with it?)
  • edited June 2009
    I laughed out loud at this video. It feels so good to finally laugh hard at Monkey Island again after 8 and a half years.
  • edited June 2009
    Also, the voices sound excellent. I don't hear any bad compression. :D

Agreed! I'm quite relieved. Of course, I suppose they could still run the voices through the compressionator prior to the final release. I sure hope not, though. Anyone from Telltale care to comment??
  • edited June 2009
    Looks brilliant! July 7th can't come soon enough.
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder if I'm going to have to stop posting for a week to not see spoilers of this.
  • edited June 2009
    i do not like le chuck's voice.other than that it seems awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »

I disagree. The original actor was perfect for the role and very very good at what he did. I never though an actor would come as close as this one. It almost sounds like Earl. I hope they cast the original actor for upcoming voice overs.

The game looks dynamic, fluent and has some stuff reminiscing of the old MI games. I was sad to see he(Lechuck's original voice) wasnt in the 5th installment, but the second guy quickly let me get used to his work.

One thing im worried is that i get to finish this first episode as fast as San n Max 1st season episode. I wasnt impressed with the one i preordered.
  • edited June 2009
    I loved it! Especially how incredibly expressive the characters were! It was definitely noticeable!

....And some things never change. The "rope bag" from Episode 1 of Season One of Sam and Max is back. =p
  • edited June 2009
    I like how you're breaking up the dialogue with some action between and while talking. It's starting to really feel alive now..

Only complaint is the lip-sync is horribly generic looking. Other than that, it's looking mighty fine, and the body acting is getting much better!
  • edited June 2009
    Lovely. Any way to make the days go faster?
  • edited June 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    Lovely. Any way to make the days go faster?

Can always take sleeping pills. Not a healthy choice but will make time go faster.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »

Not bad casting if you ask me. Sounds pretty menacing and piratey. It's not Earl, but you 'can't always get what you want', and this new voice talent does a decent job of it.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Technically speaking, the rope sack goes all the way back to Bone.
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Technically speaking, the rope sack goes all the way back to Bone.
    Oh, I forgot about that! I just remembered it from the Season One commentary.
  • edited June 2009
    I know they are just saving money by re-using stuff in their games over and over but... sometimes it seems like they look for reasons to do so..
  • edited June 2009
    Only complaint is the lip-sync is horribly generic looking.

What I noticed is that Guybrush and Lechuck seem to have pretty good lip sync, but Elaine's seems bad. It could be that LeChuck and Guybrush's lines are mostly "mini-cutscene" lines, whereas Elaine speaks mostly in the "in-game dialogue" style... or it could also be that the male characters keep their mouths open between words, but Elaine closes hers when she isn't speaking, which makes flaws in her lip sync more noticeable. Or maybe her comparatively quiet voice is harder for the lip-sync-engine to deal with.

Aaaanyway.

Nice clip. That didn't seem to spoil too much. Can't wait to play!

I liked LeChuck's voice here more than I did in the first trailer. His laugh seems a bit forced, but it works with the campy fake end-game-sequence vibe. I'm sure when I actually play the game, it won't even faze me.
    Especially if his new, human form has a different enough tone to mask the actor change
  • edited June 2009
    I'm amazed!

Maybe you should put a spoiler tag in the thread because I'm going spoiler crazy with my post and most people probably will start doing the same...

Spoilers ahead:

I love it! The intro music, the deep in the caribbean titles. The actions starts with Elaine captured by Lechuck in a ship and Guybrush arriving in another ship.

The atmosphere is great. There's a LOT of background animation: rain, ships moving, cannons firing, etc. It feels really alive (and zombified) and very Monkey-ish.

This small intro made laugh a lot, something which I don't make a lot with games nowadays. It's definitely not a rip-off or a second rate copy. It is Monkey Island! The way you can interact with objects and combine them seems like a real improvement from past Telltale games. And the dialogue... What can I say? Great actors, funny comments.

Guys and girls, if this shows anything that is coming in the episodes, then I'm really excited because this looks like the Monkey Island we love and new adventures at last! What else can we ask?

I wish I could go to the swamps of time and go to the future 'til July 7th now!
  • edited June 2009
    I actually think Lechuck's voice actor had a great evil tone and was creepily expressive. He reminded me of Kelsey Grammar's take on Santa Clause in Futurama, which always reminded me of Earl Boen's take on Lechuck in Curse of Monkey Island. In other words, it sounds just like Lechuck. The funny thing is, both characters now have the exact same laugh.

The sound quality was just amazing. I rewatched the video again and spent the whole time listening to the background music, or what you can make out of it. It also sounds really great from what I can tell! Most definitely Michael Land's work.

EDIT: I just compared these scenes to the versions in the trailer. The version in the trailer compared to the final in-game one is quite....not as cool. It was fun to compare the beginning look to what it is now. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I have a single sound to describe my feelings for this preview:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

(*all dogs within a five mile radius writhe in pain*)

And with that fangirl squee of approval done, I have one single complaint. I really, really, really wish it wasn't an issue, but LeChuck's voice...it's just not doing it for me. I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem quite right. But then again, I suppose anyone other than Earl Boen will seem not quite right to me.

But still, this whole thing is Made of Awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    Sound is great, graphics look a lot better and I loved how you could combine inventory items.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not watching unless I see it after double-clicking the Chapter One shortcut.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow I was really surprised with how good it looks and sounds.
    Epic music when Guybrush arrives! The animation is also pretty good, especially the lipsync :D Already a huge improvement from the animation in Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit

Man I really can't wait!
  • edited June 2009
    Who would have thought just a month ago that we would be seeing the Telltale Games and LucasArts logos together? Well, I could have pictured them wielding deadly samurai swords, and spilling blood from one another in the midst of a heated battle.
  • edited June 2009
    Their ships are on the smallish side
  • edited June 2009
    Awesome awesome awesome.

If i might point out something odd, it would be that plain-calm sea in the middle of a storm ;)

But really, it looks terrific.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.