The Tales of Monkey Island Intro (Video!)

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Do you want me to explain the weather incongruity? Because I can!

Also there is a reasonably rolling sea when you get closer up. We can't do everything, though :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We can't do everything, though :)

Why wasn't Murray on the ship!

Why didn't LeChuck have a crew!

Why wasn't Guybrush having an affair with Kate Capsize!

Why did Guybrush have a beard!? You've destroyed the franchise!

Why isn't this game 2D point-and-click? 3D wasn't meant to look GOOD! What have you done!

I want my MOMMY!!!! MOMMY!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

EDIT: (This post was intended as a joke just in case my acting was way too good.)
  • edited June 2009
    Apart from LeChucks voice (I actually cringed slightly when he done that forced laugh, talk about hammy acting) the rest was great, Guybrush and Elaine are sounding great and the graphics are very nice and the music is a good indication of things to come. The new way of Combining Items seems very fancy but I suppose it will push people to try more combinations compared to the old games.
  • edited June 2009
    Why didn't LeChuck have a crew!
    LeChuck's skeleton crew grew tired of sailing with him when he, not once, but on several occasions failed to apprehend and kill wannabe pirate, Guybrush Threepwood. Also, his beard smells funny. In their place is a rather amusing crew of
    adorable primates
    Why wasn't Guybrush having an affair with Kate Capsize!
    Kate Capsize is in a very healthy relationship with Stan.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We can't do everything, though :)
    hahaha, you ve done more than enough, dont worry.
    Water is always tricky. And sure MB-expensive.
    And obviously that data is worth more on actual gaming than on making water look nice ;)
  • edited June 2009
    It’s amazing.
    Oh my goodness, it’s amazing!
    Beautiful and funny.
    »Are you hungry?«
  • edited June 2009
    must.... defeat... my inner demons... don't... wanna see it....don't wanna see it....
  • edited June 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    must.... defeat... my inner demons... don't... wanna see it....don't wanna see it....

Be strong!!
    Only six days!!
  • edited June 2009
    Please put english subtitles even in the videos! It's a difficult english! Please please please! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Should I or shouldn't I , hmmmmm
  • edited June 2009
    You guys are making it pretty hard for me not to watch that intro.
    But I WILL hold out until the 7th!
  • edited June 2009
    As tempting as it is, I can't bring myself to watch more than six seconds of it...argh, I can hold out one more week. -_-
  • edited June 2009
    Yessss.

I am getting just the right feeling from this already. And the music! So good. While I liked a lot of the EMI and especially CMI music, I felt a lot of it didn't really 'pop' in the game, it was mostly very backgroundy. In that scene the music has a real presence, which I LOVE.
  • edited June 2009
    From watching the intro, it looks like it's gonna be the best MI game in the series.
  • edited June 2009
    That is, well, AMAZING.

All over goosebumps.

Couldn't be happier with the feel of it...

Also, is that
    Chuck the plant???!!?

I wonder why we have to use the inventory item combiner rather than just click on one item them the other?
  • edited June 2009
    I was a little worried about the 3d visuals but, my god, the video is wonderful. Love the dialogue and humour; love the atmosphere - the storm, the clouds, the lighting, the overall aesthetic style; and love the quality of the music.

Could it be that Tales of Monkey Island is - gasp! - a return to form and a worthy sequel?

Six more days. Argh - torture! Must... not... think... about... the monkeys.
  • edited June 2009
    From watching the intro, it looks like it's gonna be the best MI game in the series.

Pleasent anticipation's rising.... and rising....

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!! AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT!!!! *sing*
  • edited June 2009

Trully agree!

One quick question:

Elaine - "And now we're going to die...again."

What does she mean, "again"?? I know that this might be a reference to what happened before this epic moment, but...errr... they died before? 'cause it would be really cool to see that! :D
  • edited June 2009

I disagree I think it will be great, but not the best.. I think it may end up a little repetitive like episodic games tend to get... But I know I will love it anyway... I don't want to judge it too harshly before I actually play it but I am guessing it will be my third or fourth fave.
  • edited June 2009
    Trully agree!

One quick question:

Elaine - "And now we're going to die...again."

What does she mean, "again"?? I know that this might be a reference to what happened before this epic moment, but...errr... they died before? 'cause it would be really cool to see that! :D

It seems like this whole intro sequence is making a joke on this big epic adventure you never got to see and is best left to the imagination, so they keep on slipping in references to what has been going on, like "And now we're going to die...again." and whatever secrets LeChuck is trying to get out of those monkeys.

I don't think any of it will be of any real importance, it's just to set up that lots of time has passed and the game begins at the end of some great swashbuckling voodoo infused adventure.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought Elaine was just referring to the fact she and Guybrush always end up with their life endangered by LeChuck at one point or another of every Monkey Island adventure ^^
  • edited June 2009
    Looks good, hopefully rest of the game is as good as the start. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I disagree I think it will be great, but not the best.. I think it may end up a little repetitive like episodic games tend to get... But I know I will love it anyway... I don't want to judge it too harshly before I actually play it but I am guessing it will be my third or fourth fave.

The classic setting-expectations-low-so-you-can-only-be-pleasantly-surprised situation?

I thought S&M was a little repetative TBH but as Tales has an ongoing story Im not worried that will be an issue.
  • edited June 2009
    I hope you're right... and I know TTG has said there is an ongoing story and all that and no central hub but I still have my doubts.
  • edited June 2009
    Eh yeah, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no. I'm not watching this. It's 6 days.
  • edited June 2009
    Just to clarify, this isn't the whole of the beginning of the game, it's the very brief cutscene at the start, and then a tiny little bit of the gameplay, and it reveals nothing that hasn't already been announced.

So if you're worried that this gives away the whole of the set up to the rest of the episode, don't worry, it doesn't. It's just a snippet of what happens in the first 2 minutes of the game.
  • edited June 2009
    Haha, for a guy who hasn't really played MI before, I liked this intro. Lucky for me, I don't have to worry about LeChuck's voice. I liked a lot of the dialogue too. 6... days... left!
  • edited June 2009
    I think it's very comparable to that first scene of Escape. People are captured, pirate ships are involved, and its pretty much separate from the rest of the story.

....same with CMI, actually. Until you snag that ring, anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah and the game play part only has obvious stuff in it.. no real major spoilers here.
  • edited June 2009
    I think this is amazing:

E3 Trailer:
    frostyone.png

Gameplay video:
    frostytwo.png

(click on the images to see a larger version)

Both are screencapped from a YouTube video in full screen, the second of which is higher quality. But even with these caveats, the differences you can see are pretty impressive.
  • edited June 2009
    Interesting...
  • edited June 2009
    Nothing like a good old storm at night to set up the mood of a scene :D
    By the way, was I the only one who always wanted to see a sea battle between Guybrush and LeChuck ?
  • edited June 2009
    The whole thunder & lightning choreography is pretty impressive. Kudos to whoever thought of adding that before the release date. It really makes the intro stronger. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I think I watched it for about a dozen times. Maybe I should get back to work... :p Naaaah, one more time!!

The differences are truly amazing! From a personal point of view, I love the ideea of a sea battle with lightnings and thunders! I wanted to do that in a movie once, but low budget means no effects... Hmm...
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Apart from LeChucks voice (I actually cringed slightly when he done that forced laugh, talk about hammy acting) the rest was great

I'd argue that the hamminess of that laugh has to be intentional. I mean, it was so ridiculous, it made me laugh. After all, isn't any evil laugh almost cheesy by definition? I mean, do you think in the history of mankind, anyone has been so evil that they can't help but laugh at their own evilness?

By the way, if you want to see (or hear, I guess) an evil laugh to rival all others in its ridiculousness, do yourself a favor and track down the Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie Space Mutiny (in the volume 4 collection). Evil Kalgon sneers, snickers, guffaws, and chews scenery throughout the movie. It's incredible. "Kalgon, blow me away."
  • edited June 2009
    okay,after watching it again a few more times I can say...

First, LOVED the cursor! just awesome choice to bring that one back.
    Still not a big fan of le chuck's voice. Not a fan of how he looks, either...
    I'm probably the only one, but I hate it when Elaine is an interactive-able character. I mean think about, in the first 3 games you can't really interact with her, she was more like a cutscene character only (in CMI she only speaks in cutscenes, and in 1 and 2 she kind of shows up on you, and less you coming to her and such). Anyway, just general ranting. I never really got the big deal about her character anyway... The MI1 Elaine would've escaped on her own from these ropes long before Guybrush got there, and save him instead.
    Anyway, the object combo thing just seems overdone. why not just do object over object, why do you have to drag it to some sort of "combo magic machine"? seems like an overkill.
    The music seems good. Tho you gotta hear more of it to really know, but I have full confidence in Mr. Land.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    Anyway, the object combo thing just seems overdone. why not just do object over object, why do you have to drag it to some sort of "combo magic machine"? seems like an overkill.

I also thought this. I hope it's just not a way to slow down the try-everything-on-everything method of solving puzzles!

I'm sure hope there is a good reason for it.
  • edited June 2009

If I had to guess, it's probably because having item combination right there upfront in the inventory interface brings it to your attention. This is the first telltale game to use inventory combo puzzles, and it just might not occur to more novice adventurers that putting stuff together is possible.

Nothing worse that wandering aimlessly around a world for an hour because you didn't realise the things you needed were right there in your inventory, and this helps to introduce that concept clearly.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think I'm going to watch the videos... it's out in 6 days and I want it ALL to be surprising and exciting!
  • edited June 2009

I also thought this. I hope its just not a way to slow down the try-everything-on-everythinf method of solving puzzles!

I'm sure hope there is a good reason for it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.