TMI lighting & mood enhancement suggestions.

Avast Telltale crew!
I did a few quick lighting "improvements" on a couple of frames of the latest trailer and I was wondering if keylights like that would ever be possible with your engine?
I loved the richer blacks and high contrasty color palette of the 2D Monkey Islands and would love a better lighting model for subsequent TMI episodes (or a gradual, evolutionary improvement towards the target renders I posted)

A lighting model with the ability to attach keylights to characters and switch them off and on inbetween shots, the ability to have deeper shadows, vignette and sillhouette techniques could enhance mood and atmosphere tenfold and help focus the viewers attention in hero shots.
If such a thing is not possible (due to Wii compatibility) I'd suggest heavier usage of post-pro fx and filters. Some of the scenes really could benefit from richer contrast and other tweaks.

What do you guys think?
(this was just grabbed from a youtube version of the trailer, so quality is crude.
tmilechuckorg.jpgtmilechucklighting.jpg
tmistormguybrushorg.jpg
tmistormguybrushcc.jpg
tmielaineorg.jpgtmielainecc.jpg

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I really like the change on the middle one of Guybrush. What does everyone else think?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hey cool, I'll get started on this right away. All I have to do is
  • edited July 2009
    I think that’s really too much contrast. I like the dark mood in Monkey Island (stormy weather), but it shouldn’t be too Sin-City-ish. It’s still a fun game with humor on the front, not drama.
    The actual TellTale-Lighting is fine, I adore the gameplay-video :)

Nevertheless, your editing is very good work!
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Hey cool, I'll get started on this right away. All I have to do is
    :D
  • edited July 2009
    Looking at this LeChuck I doubt I'll find sleep tonight. :D

Generally, there's hardly anything that affects the mood and vibe of visuals quite as much as lighting. For the most drastic of examples see this. In some ways this is a matter of style and artistic choice, in others there's technical stuff, like getting people to focus onto certain things whilst hiding others - such low-poly 3d models, for instance.
    edited July 2009
    So I shopped this idea around, and one of our industrious engineers took it upon himself to add advanced lighting support to the engine! Here's just a glimpse of what you're in store for:

gearsofguybrush1.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Lens flare, lens flare!! :D
  • edited July 2009
    You wouldn't believe how much I would kill for Guybrush Threepwood being a playable character in Gears of War 3! Or more realistically, Dominic Armato could voice one of the playable COG characters. You've so made me want to hear his voice while I'm shooting locusts now! :( you're cruel!
  • edited July 2009
    I just pissed my pants laughing, great job! Can't wait to play it :D
  • edited July 2009
    So I shopped this idea around, and one of our industrious engineers took it upon himself to add advanced lighting support to the engine! Here's just a glimpse of what you're in store for:

gearsofguybrush1.jpg

Awesome! Posting this over at adventuregamers.com or justadventure and insisting on its authenticity would make people go Hoolaboo quicker than you can cry "sellouts!" flipped backwards three times in a row.

Hey.. anybody in? :D
  • edited July 2009
    LOL!!! That is funny.... Enough of this adventure game business why cant MI just be a FPS.... (Sarcasm)
  • edited July 2009
    Nah, how about a RPG? This way, Guybrush could actually have a pirate utility belt!
  • edited July 2009
    Nah, how about a RPG? This way, Guybrush could actually have a pirate utility belt!

Did you say... GTA?!?! Oh, no you didn't... my mistake.
  • edited July 2009
    *sigh*

Somehow, deep down I knew I would get a desaturated (cause that's all the Rage with types like me!) lenseflare pron, Gears of War-ish fake screenshot as a response. Oh well. Thanks anyway.
  • edited July 2009

gearsofguybrush1.jpg
    Awesome, I can't wait to frag some monkeys.
  • edited July 2009
    *sigh*

Somehow, deep down I knew I would get a desaturated (cause that's all the Rage with types like me!) lenseflare pron, Gears of War-ish fake screenshot as a response. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

As I said, I think your screenshots are looking very nice, but IMO it just doesn’t fit in the Monkey-Island-Universe.
  • edited July 2009

gearsofguybrush1.jpg

Somebody should send that to kotaku as a leaked screenshot with the subject: "Telltale addresses fan concernes over lighting and tone" or something similar :)

Very funny stuff :D

This should be a joke promo page in a gaming mag :)
  • edited July 2009
    *sigh*

Dude, don't bring the arguments to the TellTale forums, it's bad enough hearing it from you in the MixnMojo forums!
  • edited July 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    IMO it just doesn’t fit in the Monkey-Island-Universe.

I wouldn't say that... the look of that opening is already quite "epic", so a little more defined key-lighting would really benefit the looks. The visuals are good, no question, but I agree that the overall lighting is a little flat... having a defining keylight would make the image more 3D, and give a little more shape and depth to the objects and characters.

I don't think the idea of this thread is to mock the artists... looks more like constructive criticism to me.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    *sigh*

What were you hoping to achieve by posting those? The game is six days from release, being made by a core team of at most two dozen people who are in this because we love telling adventure game stories. While I wouldn't mind having some of the features you point out as being something you can "just" put into the game (PS: "just" is an extremely dangerous word, especially when trying to tell someone else how to do their job), we're a small studio which builds our tech in slow iterations with a focus on internal usability -- nearly every piece of the core toolset is built so that anyone in the company can use it, which is the only way we're able to actually turn around content with such small teams and on the rapid schedule episodic online content needs. For the record, we do have some post processing going on right now (for depth of field and glow/soft focus) but we don't have full screen gamut/contrast exposed at this time.
  • edited July 2009
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't want to insult Telltale in any way, shape or form.
    I know you guys are in crunch phase now. :)
    I love your designs and i love cartoony too, in fact I made several cartoon trailers myself, but cartoony is no excuse for lack of proper backlighting, keylights and other lighting techniques. For a new Monkey Island that is set in the Caribbean with it's harsh sun, shadowy rainforests, magically glowing voodoo nights and thunderstorms at sea an advanced lighting model would help a lot. Just saying.
    The stuff and screenshots that I've seen look very nice already, I was just trying to point out further space for improvement in subsequent installments. Maybe stuff that can be enhanced over time.

EDIT: Why did I post these? Maybe my excitement for a new Monkey Island, the game that brought me into this industry has reached boiling point and I wanted to fiddle around with stuff? I didn't mean to insult the work you've done in any way. I know how it is to work within constraints, both time and team. Please take my posts as a suggestion, not an arrogant "My kung-fu is better than your kung-fu" rant!
  • edited July 2009
    I love you Jake!
  • edited July 2009
    Stern, I think your suggestions are more than valid examples how effective lighting and toning of a scene can create a better focus. Perhaps it's not possible with their current engine (why not, I wouldn't know) but I think it's certainly something that can be implemented, if subtle enough, just to give their cut scenes a little more appeal.

I do hope these responses from the TTG staff represent their enthusiasm for improving their games, even if they're bombarded by fans' suggestions (non-pro and professional alike).
  • edited July 2009
    As I said, I agree with the suggested improvements. Telltale shouldn't regard this as bashing of their work, as those are valid points.

It's understandable, that you can't update your engine all the time, especially not a few days before the release. But you might consider that stuff for later versions... maybe even later MI-episodes already.
  • edited July 2009
    I realized, higher contrast worked once before:
    mi2-15.jpg :)
  • edited July 2009

gearsofguybrush1.jpg

This is the post I was waiting for. Awesome.
  • edited July 2009
    As I said, I agree with the suggested improvements. Telltale shouldn't regard this as bashing of their work, as those are valid points.

It's understandable, that you can't update your engine all the time, especially not a few days before the release. But you might consider that stuff for later versions... maybe even later MI-episodes already.

I'm pretty sure it's been considered, Laserschwert... Heck, they have noticeably been improving the graphics since Bone. The Wallace and Gromit games look great! And Guybrush's expressions are a huge improvement. I don't really think that this kind of lighting would suit Monkey Island anyway. At the moment the lighting is very much like both Curse and Escape combined and I think that is exactly what it SHOULD look like.

Maybe if they ever make a point and click Gears of War, then they can think about that kind of detail :P But at the moment it is perfect for the cartoony comedic feel of Monkey Island.
    edited July 2009
    I know you guys are in crunch phase now. :)

It's not just that. We're part of an industry where we have to work under pretty inflexible time/money constraints. As a profession, this is all about making something look as good as you can as fast and cheap as you can. Per-shot lighting would be nice, but even if everyone in the studio decided that new lighting would be better, that doesn't mean it's feasible. Every little bit of work we do costs real money and doesn't necessarily make money.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes it makes theoretical money, which in many ways is worse than making no money at all.
  • edited July 2009
    The lighting suggestions don't even make sense, unless you're catching exactly when lightning strikes off screen.

It's a night scene, how is there such a harsh and strong lighting source just off screen only aiming in one direction?

I think the originals look better.
  • edited July 2009
    To reiterate and clarify my intent:
    I know that my "target renders" are hard to achieve, even if you are using SOURCE, UNREAL, CRYENGINE or whatever.
    It was not my intent to insult the hardworking folks over at Telltale which do and did an awesome job on their games. I loved Sam & Max!
    I just wanted to point out that a more dramatic key- and backlighting would imho drastically improve ambient atmosphere and for a Monkey Island game that is key.
    I know my timing for fiddling with TellTale's trailer screengrabs was more than bad. i apologize for that. Good luck with the release and may your engine tech live long and prosper and grow up to have the most beautiful keylighting tools ever! I'm off to play Gears of Guybrush using my monkeywrench to wreak havoc upon unsuspecting ghost pirates! ;)
  • edited July 2009

Couldn't agree more. But this was all worth it for that Gears of Guybrush picture! :D

Edit: Fine, Laserschwert... sorry XD he did annoy me though...
  • edited July 2009
    The lighting suggestions don't even make sense, unless you're catching exactly when lightning strikes off screen.

It's a night scene, how is there such a harsh and strong lighting source just off screen only aiming in one direction?

Lighting for film or animation doesn't necessarily have to look "real", but it has to support a shot. Otherwise they wouldn't have to light a film set ;)
    Scapetti wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, truth is, this guy was pestering us on the MixnMojo forums so we sent him here to get Telltale's view on the whole thing :P It was all worth it for that Gears of Guybrush picture! :D
    No need to be an asshole now.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Sometimes it makes theoretical money, which in many ways is worse than making no money at all.

This has caught my interest. How can I get in on the theoretical money?
  • edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    What were you hoping to achieve by posting those? The game is six days from release, being made by a core team of at most two dozen people who are in this because we love telling adventure game stories. While I wouldn't mind having some of the features you point out as being something you can "just" put into the game (PS: "just" is an extremely dangerous word, especially when trying to tell someone else how to do their job), we're a small studio which builds our tech in slow iterations with a focus on internal usability -- nearly every piece of the core toolset is built so that anyone in the company can use it, which is the only way we're able to actually turn around content with such small teams and on the rapid schedule episodic online content needs. For the record, we do have some post processing going on right now (for depth of field and glow/soft focus) but we don't have full screen gamut/contrast exposed at this time.

Perhaps he was only looking for recognition in saying that if it would/would not be possible down the road (with this or more likely, another series) to implement such elements.

I think audiences tread lightly enough around creative professionals when commenting/critiquing their work. I know you fine folks wouldn't want bombardments of "ooh ooh, I think you need this and this!" with 3/4 of the comments pertaining to Guybrush's chin hair, but I believe a little common interest in the things that do matter would be pleasant enough.

Anyone with enough insight and appreciation of how complicated a syndicated animated television series is and the rapid production timelines, would appreciate your company's schedule. In addition to your company being small, I admire the amount of effort that goes into your products. In return I think you should relay the same amount of respect to those who understand this, and not criticize their comments solely off of the system. It is rude to do such a thing. Your responsibility as professionals is to respond in an appropriate matter, and if you need to, post a set of FAQs pretaining to suggestion giving and outlining the issues that cannot be addressed in accordance to either professional obligations or the pipeline your team needs to follow etc.

True, grammar along with word choice is a big issue on the internet. But your team are the professionals and must have enough responsibility to respond in an appropriate manner. Do not take the just's of this forum the same way you would feel obliged from a producer or director's comments.

However, if your team chooses to respond in the way it did and take all fans comments as ultimatums, then I will certainly triple check my posts to make sure that my comments read as non-invasive as possible.
  • edited July 2009
    Great post :)
  • edited July 2009

Spending a lot on something amazing but not promoting it at all, is the easiest way to theoretical success.

"Theoretically, I should be MAKING money *sad face*"
  • ssn626391689ssn626391689 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009

OOH.. I've heard the answer to this from other studios.
    Step 1. Licence Unreal Engine 3
    Step 2.
    Step 3. Profit!!!
  • edited July 2009
    I wouldn't license Unreal tech. I've heard too many bad things about Epic's business practices from all over the industry. "Mafia tactics" and other things.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I think people are cranky today, forgive us! I know I'd already worked 40 hours this week before today even started. And it's not even half over yet! (This week doesn't end until Tuesday. We live in a time warp)
  • edited July 2009
    It's my fault. There is a right time and a wrong time, even for the most honest constructive criticism (I dunno if my post would even qualify as that).
    I'm pretty sure this wasn't the right time ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.