Stannis is still the Mannis

Comments

• hes only proving that he is as crazy as the mad king nothing else.

AWESOMEO posted: »

Why do people want a guy who burns people alive ruling anything?? He's trying to fulfill a prophecy of Azor Ahai, and fails miserably.

• no more so than stannis the batshit crazy ass hole who will be as bad if not worse than the mad king.

• I don't condone any live burnings--like I just said, Dany is needlessly violent at times.

Burning your own heir to satisfy a evil voodoo god, in order to fight a battle you might not win, in order to gain the acceptance of a region which has explicitly told you it only bows to a Stark...you call this a good cause?

Stannis might've been a good man and an able king...before he met Melisandre. Now, he's more or less the Lord of Light's sock puppet.

Explain to me how it is better to set a random person to the torch via dragon for shock value and assertion of dominance than to burn someon

• edited June 2015

Lalalalalalala, can't hear you. Stannis is the one true king, praise R'hllor, line of succession tbh, etc.

Alt text

ranger563 posted: »

I don't condone any live burnings--like I just said, Dany is needlessly violent at times. Burning your own heir to satisfy a evil voodoo

• Stannis is still the Mannis indeed.Episode 10 preview makes me think that he made the right decision.

Ice melting-

Alt text

Stannis's army marching to Winterfell(?)-

Alt text

Battle of Winterfell(?)-

Alt text

Alt text

• edited June 2015

Looks like he's going to run into Yara and her merry band of squids first.

Or maybe he'll come up on Ramsay and his "20 good men". Judging by this pic from a pre-season interview, it appears that Iwan Rheon has speckles of blood on his face and was clearly filming for a fight. You can see a camp resembling Stannis' in the back, too.

Alt text

Tolispro posted: »

Stannis is still the Mannis indeed.Episode 10 preview makes me think that he made the right decision. Ice melting- Stannis's army marching to Winterfell(?)- Battle of Winterfell(?)-

• Good catch!

Something might happen to Ramsay at Stannis' camp, indeed.

Looks like he's going to run into Yara and her merry band of squids first. Or maybe he'll come up on Ramsay and his "20 good men". Judgin

• Or Iwan got into a fight with Stephen Dillane (actor of Stannis) in Real Life. xD

Looks like he's going to run into Yara and her merry band of squids first. Or maybe he'll come up on Ramsay and his "20 good men". Judgin

• Either way, I want it!

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Or Iwan got into a fight with Stephen Dillane (actor of Stannis) in Real Life. xD

• Me too. That picture is very nice. I like the actor but Ramsay deserves some pain.

Either way, I want it!

• All hail the one true king Stannis Baratheon, king of the andals, rhyonar and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm.

• Alt text

All hail the one true king Stannis Baratheon, king of the andals, rhyonar and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm.

• Alt text

All hail the one true king Stannis Baratheon, king of the andals, rhyonar and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm.

• Just watched the episode...

I have absolutely no damn idea what the show is trying to achieve, some sort of disturbing level of incompatibility which would cause viewers to stop watching it? I see nothing but worse and worse attempts to suprise book readers by introducing those airy-fairy plot twists, not to mention that Stannis acted way out of his character, I believe he would never hurt Shireen and actually wanted her to take over the throne one day.

Don't listen to HBO bullshit, hail Stannis.

• edited June 2015

I feel that Stannis' decision in this episode was completely in line with his character, and that he did the right decision.

First let's take a look at what we have:

• Stannis' camp ravaged by the good men
    • Not enough men and supplies to secure the battle against the Boltons
    • Not enough supplies to return to Castle Black, and anyway retreating is not an option for Stannis
    • Death is imminent for them all unless something special happens
    • Blood magic has been shown multiple times to be real and working
    • Kingsblood is the strongest blood, and is readily available in Shireen
    • We know Stannis puts his duty to the realm before everything else.

He needs to defeat the Boltons and continue on to finally sit the Iron Throne. He is the one person in pursue of the throne that cares about the White Walker threat and actually wants to help the Night's Watch. If he'd have continued on to Winterfell he'd surely lose the battle, which would result in Shireen dying. If he'd have turned back to Castle Black, chances are they would all starve and freeze to death, which also results in Shireen dying. By sacrificing Shireen he gets an advantage in the upcoming battle, and as we can see from the next episode preview the sacrifice worked. Sacrificing Shireen also works into Stannis = AA, making this his Nissa Nissa sacrifice. We also know that Stannis thinks about the bigger picture and the greater good, as this quote from ASOS that's been posted a bunch now shows:

"I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty … If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice."

If sacrificing Shireen will help him to save the kingdom, when the option is to get slaughtered by Bolton-fucking-shits, it's nothing weird with Stannis doing this. He knows his duty is towards the kingdom, even if that conflicts with his own feelings. It's completely in line with his character I think. He does what is needed of him, what the kingdom needs of him, even if it's extremely hard and painful. And that is why he is still our Mannis.

I mean, Robb and Tyrion and Daenerys are ready to kill thousands of sons and daughters of smallfolk for their wars and they're lauded as heroes. They don't even flinch until the wars start to hurt people they're close to. Stannis is the one warlord who is willing to suffer the same misery and loss that he inflicts on strangers and he gets excoriated as a villain. It's so unjust it makes me want to grind my teeth.

• I agree, FUCK HIM UP! I don't care who does it! JUST DO IT!

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Me too. That picture is very nice. I like the actor but Ramsay deserves some pain.

• I mean, Robb and Tyrion and Daenerys are ready to kill thousands of sons and daughters of smallfolk for their wars

Stannis does all of that too, additionally to killing his daughter.

LeFedore posted: »

I feel that Stannis' decision in this episode was completely in line with his character, and that he did the right decision. First let's

• He's not that crazy, he's just stupid listening to that Red Woman instead of listening to his trustworthy hand.

hes only proving that he is as crazy as the mad king nothing else.

• edited June 2015

Actually Robert and Staniss claim is much more recent than that. It's through his Grandmother Rhaelle Targaryen. Rhaelle was the daughter of Aegon who was the brother of Aemon at the wall. Which makes Aemon Stanis great great uncle.

Lingvort posted: »

If we wanted to talk about rights here, then House Targaryen has less of of a right to the Iron Throne than House Baratheon. House Baratheon

• I'm aware of that, and it's not my point at all. GOUSTTTT was talking about how House Baratheon was "older" than House Targaryen in terms of presence in Westeros and I corrected him. Wasn't talking about Robert or Stannis.

By the way, their claims are still less recent than the ones possessed by Daenerys and any potential surviving children of Rhaegar.

Sarson posted: »

Actually Robert and Staniss claim is much more recent than that. It's through his Grandmother Rhaelle Targaryen. Rhaelle was the daughter of Aegon who was the brother of Aemon at the wall. Which makes Aemon Stanis great great uncle.

• Alt text

lindblom posted: »

He doesn't give a fuck about the lives of the people around him I don't think.. He sacrificed Shireen on the promise of Melisandre that he w

• My opinion of him has changed somewhat now that he sacrificed his own daughter, but, I guess it had to be done. :( So sad.

• I hope Stannis dies with the kingdom just out if his grasp.

• Have we already forgotten what happened at Hardhome? The night is dark and full of terrors. Winter is bringing an army that will kill the sons and daughters of all the living, and the sole hope for survival is that a strong ruler unite Westreos, support the Night's Watch, and drive back the armies of the Night King. Sometimes, being strong means making the horrible decision, but if Stannis does not act, all will be lost. The mother's of Westeros will not be able to cry for their children, as none will be left alive. The light that Stannis lit was horrible, but it may be the last hope to fend off the encroaching darkness. He is the one true king.

• Yes, that is great. Lets go on a King's Blood hunt while my army freezes to death, and with it the one chance at saving the realms of man.

He had no idea Aemon is dead. We also don't know if Robert has other bastards, I don't think they would all be in King's Landing considering

• Sadly this is the truth, nobody else in the entire world knows, let alone cares, about what is coming. He does, he knows very well that he may be the only hope the realm has of surviving the second Long Night. Still though, it is difficult to just look past the fact he burned the only person he ever cared about, and his own family legacy all at the same time, I do hope it was somehow worth it.

• Honestly, I'm rooting for the White Walkers now.

• Remember the Battle of the Black Water?

Soldier: Hundreds will die!

Stannis: Thousands.

rousseau posted: »

I mean, Robb and Tyrion and Daenerys are ready to kill thousands of sons and daughters of smallfolk for their wars Stannis does all of that too, additionally to killing his daughter.

• GRRM wanted it this way, so blame him.

fallandir posted: »

Just watched the episode... I have absolutely no damn idea what the show is trying to achieve, some sort of disturbing level of incompati

• Why do people believe that Stannis is capable of uniting kingdoms? He's known for being unlikeable and had a hard time gaining support up to now. The only one he inspires devotion in is Davos who is singularly loyal and Melissandre, who believed he's something he's not. If Stannis actually does anything to help the Battle against the White Walkers, Ill be surprised.

• I understand you. There's just too much shit happening in Westeros. I hope WW crush down the Wall and destroy everything.

Gary-Oak posted: »

Honestly, I'm rooting for the White Walkers now.

• edited June 2015

My opinion might be very unpopular in here, but I deeply despise Stannis for what he have done. This decision was absolutely unneccessary, unlogical and cruel. I simply don't know the purpose of this sacrifice.

Firstly, I can't understand Stannis' logic. He kept playing the role of the best father ever. He was kind to Shireen and proved that he loves her. Melisandre offered to burn his daughter and he refused immediately. And then Stannis just suddenly changes his mind, forgets about everything he did and decides to burn the innocent child. Wow, really? Then what was the point of all this "father of the year" bullshit? Besides, Shireen is his only heir and we don't know if he'll ever have another one. It looks like he thinks only about getting on the throne. But the future doesn't interest him. Who's going to be his heir now?

Secondly, I can't understand people who say that Stannis had no other choice. If he wants to be a good king, he needs to learn how to act in difficult situations. His camp suffered from hunger for only 2 days and he already wants to burn his own child, hoping that it will help him. Does he realize that he can't find solutions to problems by just hoping on Gods' help? Stannis from the books already knows that. Just read this dialogue from "A Dance With Dragons":

“A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.

“Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder.”

I'll remind you that Book Stannis' army suffers much more and for much longer period of time. Yet he doesn't agree to sacrifice simple people - I don't even talk about his daughter.

Thirdly, the whole situation is just horrible. A real parent wouldn't be able to just stand and watch how his child dies painfully. And you know what's the worst part of it? Shireen suffered even more pain from realizing that her own family betrayed her. Remember how she yelled for her father? You can't understand how shocking is it - seeing your father who doesn't attempt to help you and realizing that he wants you to die. Even her mother, who treated her like shit, tried to help her, while Stannis "Best Father Ever" Baratheon (see point number one) just stood and watch.

I never really liked Stannis and now his chances to win my support are lower than zero. Many people won't agree with me her, but I don't care. That's how I see the whole situation.

• Best father ever is a little strong. He did keep her practically locked in a dungeon for most of her life. It was only recently that he started showing affection toward her and even then its awkward and strained. Father of the Year he was not.

My opinion might be very unpopular in here, but I deeply despise Stannis for what he have done. This decision was absolutely unneccessary, u

• Alright, maybe not. But what was the point in showing that affection and then burning her? He made her believe that at least one of her parents cares for her and then didn't give a shit about her death.

KCohere posted: »

Best father ever is a little strong. He did keep her practically locked in a dungeon for most of her life. It was only recently that he started showing affection toward her and even then its awkward and strained. Father of the Year he was not.

• Why do people believe that Stannis is capable of uniting kingdoms?

Maybe because he is a ham?

Alt text

Who doesn't love ham?

Why do people believe that Stannis is capable of uniting kingdoms? He's known for being unlikeable and had a hard time gaining support up to

• That was clearly Ramsay's men that burnt the supplies.

Is that what you think, i guess you missed were melisandre had the precious supplies burnt so she wouldn't lose her power over stannis. Ps there is no destiny for him hes just melisadre's pet fool.

• From the interview all we know is GRRM told them that 'Shireen gets sacrificed in a later book'. That's all. Nothing about Stannis actually ordering it or even knowing about it happening. He's not even in the same place as Shireen in the books.

GRRM wanted it this way, so blame him.

• I just love how the show pisses off casual fans and book fundamentalists at the same time.

I understand you. There's just too much shit happening in Westeros. I hope WW crush down the Wall and destroy everything.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.