Your thoughts about Handsome Jack?

I'm starting to like him, although I haven't played the Borderlands Series by Gearbox Software/2k Games.

What do you think about him? :D Alt text

Comments

• I like him as a villain, but he's going to seriously fuck the team over. Rhys needs to get rid him ASAP.

• Sorry, it's just that I don't know much about him, but ... yeah I agree.

Piggs posted: »

I like him as a villain, but he's going to seriously fuck the team over. Rhys needs to get rid him ASAP.

• I like him alot, but I know I cant let myself trust him

• edited June 2015

I both Love and Fear him with every ounce of my being.

And i totally ship him with Fiona - did you hear all of his comments about how 'cute she is when she's fired up'? So funny.

ETA: also anyone catch the Jackapedia entries for the sisters? Jack lists Sasha's occupation as Bandit. But he lists Fiona's occupation as Bandit? I am so looking forward to how this weird triangle (square? Is it still a triangle if 2 of them are in the same body? Whatever.) plays out in the next 2 episodes.

• I agree with you completely and I believe that something of the sort is coming in E4.

Piggs posted: »

I like him as a villain, but he's going to seriously fuck the team over. Rhys needs to get rid him ASAP.

• He is an awesome villain, but he will definitely try to take over Rhys's body and start shit. Hopefully, in episode 4, if we'll get the option to remove him out of Rhys's head, I really won't hesitate.

• I like Jack's double, Timothy. Jack just cant be trusted.

• A- A- Ahem!

Ladies and gentlemen. Behold.

Alt text

I know its not part of TFTBL, but common! You cannot get enough of that!

• Well as someone who has played BL1, BL2 and TPS and all the DLCs I can tell you I'm seriously concerned to see so many people like him.

Like for me he's one of the most cruel and evil vilain I've ever seen, movies, books, games, everything included.

So it's funny because my first playthrough in TFTB there was NO WAY I'd trust him, give him control, etc.
    When I saw the choices I thought to myself "yeah riiiiiight, who in their right mind is going to pick that choice ?", but now since a few days i'm participating in this forum I thus realize so many of you are playing TFTB without having played the RPG-shooters.

So well this is weird to me :D !

Sorry, it's just that I don't know much about him, but ... yeah I agree.

• I think he's an awesome character. I love to hate him. He's hilarious and dangerous. I want to get rid of him as soon as I can because keeping him around will end in heartbreak, but I want to keep him with us for all of his funny comments and the interesting dynamic he brings, what with being stuck in one of the main character's brains and all.

• He's pretty great.

• Hey, if we're talking about Jack's quotes one of his bests is when he kills Bloodwing and says something along the lines of: " I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin! "

RedHounds posted: »

A- A- Ahem! Ladies and gentlemen. Behold. I know its not part of TFTBL, but common! You cannot get enough of that!

• "Alright, and now for Mordecai's stupid Bird, In E. Ahem"

{Horrible Violin music}

"Screw you! It would have been funny if I found it earlier!"

Hey, if we're talking about Jack's quotes one of his bests is when he kills Bloodwing and says something along the lines of: " I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin! "

• Everything that comes out of Jack's mouth is pure gold.

Rock114 posted: »

"Alright, and now for Mordecai's stupid Bird, In E. Ahem" {Horrible Violin music} "Screw you! It would have been funny if I found it earlier!"

• Don't be concerned. I promise we're not all secretly mass murderers. :P See, there's a difference between liking him as a person and liking him as a character.

If Handsome Jack showed up at my door, I would scream and run away, shouting not very nice things all the way (rip me).

But when Handsome Jack shows up in an episode I get all happy, do a little dance, start cryi--on second thought, it's probably best you don't know all the details. Jack's hilarious with his jokes, intimidating with his anger and villainous deeds, so overall he entertains me. Which is why I end up trusting him and such. We're all heading in the same direction with our choices, I just figured I'd take the fun and riskier way.

Shoogli posted: »

Well as someone who has played BL1, BL2 and TPS and all the DLCs I can tell you I'm seriously concerned to see so many people like him. L

• Yeah you're right, I was probably linking this thread to be one of those where "they" say the VHs are evil and Jack isn't so bad...

But yeah I totally understand what you mean.

Don't be concerned. I promise we're not all secretly mass murderers. :P See, there's a difference between liking him as a person and liking

• @Rock114

Those two quotes are my ringtone. lmao

Hey, if we're talking about Jack's quotes one of his bests is when he kills Bloodwing and says something along the lines of: " I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin! "

• You should probably throw a spoiler warning in the topic title or something. Otherwise, this could be a difficult discussion to have.

• I wouldn't-I can't outrun him.XD Did you see him dancing in the ECHO Eye thing? That was pretty hilarious. I'm sad I missed it in my game.

Don't be concerned. I promise we're not all secretly mass murderers. :P See, there's a difference between liking him as a person and liking

• edited June 2015

He's hilarious

• edited June 2015

I think AI Jack is a fascinating character, and I'm gonna be super mad if he is just turned into the villain again or used as a stepping stone to get Jack back into the main series. I love how we get to see a different side to him, and how he actually shows signs of starting to grow as a person. Being unable to act on his every violent impulse and having a lot of time to think seems to be doing wonders for him, and I really hope Telltale does not mess that up. I especially love all the different versions of his conversation with Rhys on the caravan's rooftop in Episode Three. They can be nice, scary, and even sad, depending on your choices. It's a shame so many people judge him on what the other Jack has done, when he probably isn't even him. They should judge him more on his actions in Tales.

• I gotta say - Jack is amazing. All the instances when I'm allowed to play Rhys as Jack's biggest fan are glorious. How did this come about? Well, I've mentioned this already in another thread, I believe, but I distinctly remember playing BL2 for the first time, and picking up the 'Helena Pierce' audiologs, where Jack basically makes fun of a disfigured, heroic woman, promises to spare her and her charges if she answers some of his questions and then immediately orders his lackey to kill them all once she does. Then he laughs some more.

I remember listening to those logs and thinking - 'damn... I'm in love.'

Unhealthy? Doesn't even begin to cover it, pumpkin. But it's a game, so I'm ok. ;P

• Jack is no joke! :O Well...he makes jokes...but....

A- A- Ahem! Ladies and gentlemen. Behold. I know its not part of TFTBL, but common! You cannot get enough of that!

• Best character of the entire franchise.

• That was by far the funniest Jack moment in BL2, and Jack has some great ones in that game.

• He's one of those villains that you love to hate, he's got this murderous attitude, but at the same time, a charm and humor to him that makes him one of the best characters in Borderlands. However, I don't trust him when it comes to Rhys, which is why I won't let him take over his body and why I went with Fiona.

• He's my favorite character hands-down. Literally, I don't think a character so complex and flawed, but still utterly perfect could be created ever again. Gearbox hit the nail right on the head with creating a villain everyone loves.

• Jack brings me back to the days of FFVI (for anyone whose played that). He's unpredictable, dangerous, brilliant, gives exactly zero f*'s about anyone else, and is absolutely narcissistic. Only jack has convinced himself he's some kind of hero doing everyone a favor.

• You make a good point :O

Rock114 posted: »

I think he's an awesome character. I love to hate him. He's hilarious and dangerous. I want to get rid of him as soon as I can because keepi

• He's a JACKass.

• I loved that moment. This was one of the things that actually made me like him.

Everything else, though...not so much.

• edited June 2015

If you ever play Borderlands 2...well, I've got something to tell you.

He is a Classic Villain in every sense of the word. He's arrogant. He's wealthy. He's narcissistic. He's greedy. He's delusional, thinking he's a hero. And he's always full of Wrath, ready to go and murder people. He's an Orwellian villain too-he puts up a Big Brother space station to watch everyone and kill anyone he doesn't like, his city, Opportunity, is a horribly planned city filled with statues of him, he brainwashes his entire army into thinking that he's either the "hero" or an outright god, and there are posters and statues of his stupid face everywhere.

As fitting for a Classic Villain, he's also a filthy coward who says that he's going to murder you in person, but never does and hides behind his private army of robots, conscripted workers and professional soldiers. He's also a bully, calling you up so he can verbally abuse you, and electrocutes, screams at and beats his own daughter, who just wants to stop being a living battery and have friends.

His policies are also very fascist-he herded Pandorans into his Wildlife Exploitation Preserve so he could mutate them and turn them into lab rats. He burned a city to the ground and murdered almost everybody who got out. He overworks and underpays his workers who are also supposed to worship him as a god and fight when he orders them to. He puts statues of him everywhere. He even has a concentration camp AND propaganda which spews bullcrap about how the Vault Hunters are bandits and how Hyperion has been doing such a good job fighting everyone else for 3 years.

But again, he's charismatic. He makes fun jokes, he's not exactly the worst of all the villains, and doubly so now that he's the Jack AI AND ACTUALLY SYMPATHETIC, SURPRISE, SURPRISE. He also hates Vasquez, and that pleases me.

As for his villainy, he had a horribly abusive childhood which resulted in him making his grandma live in Pandora's Mordor and sending bandits to overkill her as much as possible. He's been implied to have been a loving father, until his wife died and he decided to abuse his child so he could get rich. But still, back then, he was a rational and, while still rather nasty, the fairly more likeable head of Hyperion's R&D, until the likeable bit died screaming by his own greed, violent decisions and general anger at the events in the Pre-Sequel. Oh yeah, and while he certainly is not the best boyfriend, his girlfriend, Nisha, has been in a very stable relationship with him for 3 years, although they don't seem to see each other that much.

Finally, here's what he truly looks like when you're finished...dealing with him at the end of the game.

Alt text

• Ugh...

Can't stand the guy.

• luv him

• Wait......but...that's you.... o_0

Ugh... Can't stand the guy.

• Alt text

Wait......but...that's you.... o_0

• Alt text

Wait......but...that's you.... o_0

• edited June 2015

While I think Handsome Jack is funny and he does have a few moments that made me view him differently, I don't trust him. Even without having played Borderlands I can tell the guy is unhinged and is only playing Rhys along because Jack's a prisoners inside his mind. Any chance Jack has to come out of the box, their little friendship [if the player befriended him] will go straight out the window.

That said he's a friggin great villain, the best I've seen in a while. Some of the stuff he comes out with is just hilarious like everything thing's a joke to him, but the fact that can change to him making threats that can make you really worry for others characters' safety is great. That's why I want to see Nate back in another TWDG episode because he was sort of a mix of the same thing.

Yup, hail to the king baby! :P

• In a very deranged way, it was kind of sweet of him to out Dr. Cassius to Athena, knowing how much she'd enjoy killing him. You can't say he never gave his old ally (who would now murder him in a heartbeat) nothing!

Also, I was really expecting her Jack-Apedia entry to be the most venomous of the bunch, but it was surprisingly the most tasteful next to Gortys'

Another thwarted expectation was how he didn't do too much damage when he bodyjacked Rhys. Thought he'd get into some diabolical impersonation business. Instead he just had a good old time with the opportunity.

• Uh....I know that....Jack. :)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.