Your thoughts about Handsome Jack?

Comments

• Just double checking, Kiddo - you can never be too sure on this forum.

Uh....I know that....Jack.

• Jack is the goddamn hero of the story.

Hail to the king, baby!

• edited June 2015

"Please stop calling me that!" -Rhys :D

Just double checking, Kiddo - you can never be too sure on this forum.

• Some of the stuff he comes out with is just hilarious like everything thing's a joke to him, but the fact that can change to him making threats that can make you really worry for others characters' safety is great.

You should really play Borderlands 2, this is exactly how he acts.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

While I think Handsome Jack is funny and he does have a few moments that made me view him differently, I don't trust him. Even without havin

• He messed up with Rhysha...I can't forgive that...damn you JACK!

Jack is the goddamn hero of the story. Hail to the king, baby!

• On one hand, you hate him because he is a jerk, douche, arrogant, vain, narcissistic, amoral, selfish, petty, cruel, rude, violent and tyrant. On the other hand, you Love him because of it.

• I think you mean 'thank you Jack'... :P

Leluch123 posted: »

He messed up with Rhysha...I can't forgive that...damn you JACK!

• Not really as much as I like him...well that left me with a bad taste in my mouth especialy after the flower scene...sigh.

I think you mean 'thank you Jack'... :P

• I'm enjoying that particular taste in my mouth... But I'm personally against any shipping in my TFTB, so Jack's shenanigans didn't bother me at all., quite the opposite, :P

Leluch123 posted: »

Not really as much as I like him...well that left me with a bad taste in my mouth especialy after the flower scene...sigh.

• I know. People act like him taking over Rhys in that scene was a big strike against him, not so much because of how he behaved, but because of the fact that he was capable of doing it. What did you expect him to do? Your body-and by extension, his-was lying on the ground unconscious, amidst a bunch of monsters trying to kill you. The only person who could potentially help you was up in a very slow elevator, and even she would not be able to do much. Sure, he acted like a jerk in the following scene, but it was also his first time having a body and being able to interact with other people for a while. For someone as outgoing as him, having no one but Rhys be able to see and hear him must have been frustrating. And let's face it, for Jack, that scene was pretty tame.

• I too have played BL2 and TPS, so when it came to the point where I could chose to trust Jack, I knew that he was evil and that there is no questioning that. However, I still question how much of a good guy Rhys is. I mean, the guy works for Hyperion and he is always pointing out how Pandora is a terrible planet (at least in my playthroughs). Even Vaughn talks about how they have had to do awful things to get to this point. So I chose to trust Jack, not because he is a good guy, but because I'm not entirely sure that Rhys is a good guy.

• He's terrible but god damn hilarious, too. I completly trust(choice-wise) Jack in my first playthrough, even when I know he can't be trusted. But it's just so damn amusing!

• edited June 2015

He gets a ton of laughs out of me, but he also makes me want to bring him back to life just so I could kill him once again.

The way he acted towards the gang when he took over Rhys' body in one playthrough of Ep3 was a dick move, and this whole "trust me, I'm your pal" act is just a way for him to take full control over Rhys' cybernetics.

He's an asshole. A funny asshole, but still an asshole.

• The way he acted was just kind of the way he always is. If anything, it was actually pretty tame. No one died. And I don't buy that it's all an act. He has at least some control over you even if you didn't trust him at the end of Episode Two. And if you did, then he is fully capable of taking full control of you, so there's no need for him to try and manipulate you on the roof.

He gets a ton of laughs out of me, but he also makes me want to bring him back to life just so I could kill him once again. The way he ac

• Well, funny you should ask..............OK, I MAY have actually looked that up, just 'cause I thought it'd be entertaining to see what came up.

Instead I lost my faith in humanity. Freakin' Stephanie Meyers..........WAS RUINING VAMPIRES NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? Ergh. Terrible author. Anyway, she apparently wrote a series about alien parasites and did a love triangle between the host, this guy she was into, and......the alien parasite. Yes. That happened. I know. It's fucking stupid. And.....why......but........damn it all. Argh. Blergh. Rargh. Just...........

"so much more groaning"

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I both Love and Fear him with every ounce of my being. And i totally ship him with Fiona - did you hear all of his comments about how 'cu

• Jack is a really awesome character, but yeah, he is like one of the biggest assholes EVER. It's hilarious, but he is gonna totally screw Rhys over if he gets too much control.

• Well.........that was.......uh........lengthy? I guess would be the proper way to describe it? Still don't know which side you landed on, though.

• edited June 2015

I'm just giving OP a basic overview of Jack as a person.

For the record, I like Jack a bit more, but I still don't trust him, especially not after what happened with Helena Pierce.

As of a small forum agreement, though, he is allowed to call me "pumpkin" instead of "kiddo", which is everybody else.

J_E_K posted: »

Well.........that was.......uh........lengthy? I guess would be the proper way to describe it? Still don't know which side you landed on, though.

• he is fully capable of taking full control of you, so there's no need for him to try and manipulate you on the roof.

Okay, well that's not true at all. It would be 100% easier if Rhys were just a pawn that'll let him in willingly instead of fighting him the whole way through, and Rhys has a lot more power over Jack than he wants you to believe. In the Jack run, Rhys was the one to pull him up to the roof to talk about what happened, so he knew he was in some shit with the meatsack host. He was doing damage control after proving himself to be a threat to your friends. Jack is looking for complete control of this situation, and to do that he's trying to gain Rhys' trust.

The_Duck posted: »

The way he acted was just kind of the way he always is. If anything, it was actually pretty tame. No one died. And I don't buy that it's

• Of course it could be EASIER, but I don't really think it would matter. Even if he manipulated Rhys into trusting him, Rhys would still be capable of fighting for control if he didn't approve of whatever Jack was doing. Also, Rhys never really pulls Jack up to the roof. When Rhys goes up on his own, it's solely to get away from Athena, not to have a talk with Jack. And Jack follows because he also wants to get away from Athena, and because there's no reason not to follow the only person who can see/talk to him. Also, pretty sure who makes the choice to go up to the roof has nothing to do with which path you're on, so much as how you responded to Athena when she asked who you were talking to.

mirashade posted: »

he is fully capable of taking full control of you, so there's no need for him to try and manipulate you on the roof. Okay, well that

• I think you are forming Jack's opinion of Rhys with the choices too. For example if you give Jack control he slaps Sasha's ass, but if you just agree to work together he doesn't. Is that because Jack couldn't spoil the scene without Rhys explicitly giving him control? Or is it because he has more respect for Rhys for not trusting him outright? Even without taking control of Rhys he could have showed up talking nonsense just to ruin things.

Of course it could be EASIER, but I don't really think it would matter. Even if he manipulated Rhys into trusting him, Rhys would still be

• I wasn't aware there was a version of the "Handsome Rhys" scene were Jack doesn't touch Sasha and get punched. Are you sure not trusting Jack is what causes it? I mean, he doesn't like Rhys if Rhys chooses not to trust him. In fact, he seems really hurt in that scenario. I definitely don't think he respects him for it. Did you still flirt with Sasha in that playthrough?

Tripsauce posted: »

I think you are forming Jack's opinion of Rhys with the choices too. For example if you give Jack control he slaps Sasha's ass, but if you j

• Actually, what you're saying doesn't quite make sense? I thought Jack only takes over Rhys if you chose to trust him at the end of Episode Two?

I think you are forming Jack's opinion of Rhys with the choices too. For example if you give Jack control he slaps Sasha's ass, but if you j

• I didn't give Jack control, but I agreed to an alliance with Jack on top of the car. Jack takes control of Rhys with no permisison in Ep 2 when they are cornered by Vasquez so he can to some degree even without permission. And yeah I flirted with Sasha and gave her the flower, but Jack stayed out of it.

Actually, what you're saying doesn't quite make sense? I thought Jack only takes over Rhys if you chose to trust him at the end of Episode Two?

• I'm a little confused. Did you or did you not get the scene where Jack takes over Rhys' body when he falls from the elevator and gets knocked out? I had heard that could only happen if you trusted him at the end of Episode Two.

I didn't give Jack control, but I agreed to an alliance with Jack on top of the car. Jack takes control of Rhys with no permisison in Ep 2 w

• That is true about who pulls up who, whoops. Who starts talking is different though, I know that. Mostly what I meant was- Rhys always starts off saying, "Okay Jack, you and I need to set some things straight-" in a Jack playthrough, and in a Fiona playthrough Jack is the one who starts off telling Rhys that he's going to die for not trusting him. It does matter to Jack that he can get the kid-- Rhys, on his side. But only as another easier way to get what he wants. If he can't, his entire strategy changes into simple hostile takeover. As always. His ultimate goal, in the end, will always be to take control because that's who he is. The only happiness he has over being your friend is that you've made it so easy for him.

Of course it could be EASIER, but I don't really think it would matter. Even if he manipulated Rhys into trusting him, Rhys would still be

• His constant comments during the boss battle at the Wildliife Reserve...................god-like (well, he thoughts so, at least....). I mean, there was the whole "violin" thing, but my personal favourite (even if it horrified me at the time) were his comments about the different elemental effects during the battle. Remember? He kept "forgetting" about the last one..............until the end, after you'd won, and sedated You Know Who, when he suddenly "remembered" explosive. Ugh. Dick.

Also, that shit was messy. Blood everywhere!

Some of the stuff he comes out with is just hilarious like everything thing's a joke to him, but the fact that can change to him making thre

• I'm not convinced it's all a lie. I mean, if you chose to trust him, then choose not to, he genuinely seems hurt and talks about how he'd thought you were friends. It seems unlikely this is an act, since he does not try to convince you further and becomes threatening to you.

That is true about who pulls up who, whoops. Who starts talking is different though, I know that. Mostly what I meant was- Rhys always start

• He is upset, obviously. He really thought he was getting somewhere with you and you go and disappoint him. Now that you've made your position clear about valuing your friends' lives more than him, you have officially, royally pissed him off and since you've already let him in your choice was pret-ty stupid. He's not patient enough to keep trying after a straight denial when he'd rather just kill you.

I'm not convinced it's all a lie. I mean, if you chose to trust him, then choose not to, he genuinely seems hurt and talks about how he'd t

• There's a difference between upset and hurt, and he makes it pretty clear he thought you guys were friends. I feel like too many people write off any positive aspects of his personality as manipulation way too quickly.

He is upset, obviously. He really thought he was getting somewhere with you and you go and disappoint him. Now that you've made your positio

• Mostly because there are no positive aspects to his personality, amiright??

Nah, I feel kinda bad for Jack in the Pre-Sequel but he hasn't done anything after that point to make me feel like he still deserves any sympathy. He kind of went insane, and I mean insane in a way that I'm not convinced he is affected by any emotions besides rage.

There's a difference between upset and hurt, and he makes it pretty clear he thought you guys were friends. I feel like too many people write off any positive aspects of his personality as manipulation way too quickly.

• But what if AI Jack is just an AI based on the man himself? That would mean he technically hasn't committed any of his crimes, regardless of his personality. If you look solely at his behavior and actions as an AI, he isn't that bad and shows some signs of possible redemption. We got him to admit he has flaws and this his death was his own fault. I call that progress.

Mostly because there are no positive aspects to his personality, amiright?? Nah, I feel kinda bad for Jack in the Pre-Sequel but he hasn'

• The AI committing the crimes himself or not does not affect his psyche nor memories of doing such. As I said, I'm not convinced Handsome Jack is capable of feeling emotions besides rage and that includes a copy of Jack's personality. He still tried to kill your friends even if he apologizes afterwards, and he still tried to get an innocent man killed even if he was doing it to please Athena. Those are not signs of any real change to me, all I hear is talk, excuses, and manipulation.

I don't think we're going to agree on this until we see something real convincing in the upcoming episodes ;)

But what if AI Jack is just an AI based on the man himself? That would mean he technically hasn't committed any of his crimes, regardless o

• Are you even reading these? My whole point is that Jack doesn't interfere, even though he probably could, unless you give him control. I'm just interpreting it as Jack having more respect for Rhys if you don't let him take over.

I'm a little confused. Did you or did you not get the scene where Jack takes over Rhys' body when he falls from the elevator and gets knocked out? I had heard that could only happen if you trusted him at the end of Episode Two.

• I have read everything. But you're not really making much of a point. To me, Jack taking over is a good thing, for the most part. But if you trusted Fiona, it seems likely that he CAN'T take over, at least not completely. When he does take over in the other path, it's not to ruin things-it's to save Rhys. The following scene is likely not him trying to ruin things either. It's just him being himself, after having been unable to interact with people for such a long time.

Are you even reading these? My whole point is that Jack doesn't interfere, even though he probably could, unless you give him control. I'm just interpreting it as Jack having more respect for Rhys if you don't let him take over.

• You should really play Borderlands 2, this is exactly how he acts.

I'm officially blaming myself for not doing that :|

Some of the stuff he comes out with is just hilarious like everything thing's a joke to him, but the fact that can change to him making thre

• Jack wasn't intentionally trying to kill your friends. He just finally got a chance to give in to his more violent impulses and went a little overboard. I'm not saying this is okay, but he certainly wasn't doing it on purpose. I mean, he needs Rhys alive, and he almost killed him too.

Did Jack have any reason to believe Cassius was innocent? He was an Atlas employee, and he lied to our group about it.

I'm already convinced there is more to him that what you see. I believe he is genuinely hurt if you refuse to trust him after initially doing so. And I believe him when he expresses regret about his choices. The Jack I've seen in videos of BL2 does not seem like the type who would ever acknowledge he even has faults, let alone take any responsibility for his own death. Even when he's dying, he's angrily cursing you.

The AI committing the crimes himself or not does not affect his psyche nor memories of doing such. As I said, I'm not convinced Handsome Jac

• But Rhys doesn't actually need saving, Rhys still falls out of the elevator either way he just wakes up and goes back with Sasha if you don't give Jack control. Jack seized on the opportunity to take Rhys over when he was unconscious, and caused some trouble in his body.

But my point is, even if Jack couldn't take Rhys over he could still have messed with him in any number of ways. You know Jack is always watching because he is there if you look through the echo eye. To me not messing with Rhys during those scenes was a choice on Jacks part.

I have read everything. But you're not really making much of a point. To me, Jack taking over is a good thing, for the most part. But if

• Right. Well, yes I do like Handsome Jack as a character, and he really entertains me. But, so far I've been siding with him a lot. So, that will stab me in the back later on. And I mean stab me over and over and over till Jack is sure I'm dead.

I have a friend currently on episode 3, and she LOVES Jack as a character. I like her enthusiasm, but I really don't want her to walk the same path as me and have Jack destroy your gang. I was so happy when she did not agree to an alliance with Jack, as she was making the EXACT same choices as me so far, (I needed her to do something else so I could see what would be different in her file...) At least she isn't trusting Jack all the way now, so that should really help with the "backstabbing" in the story.

Don't be concerned. I promise we're not all secretly mass murderers. :P See, there's a difference between liking him as a person and liking

• Jack couldn't know that, though. The situation certainly looked pretty bad. Rhys is unconscious on the ground below, while Sasha is still up on the elevator and relatively powerless regardless. Swarms of dangerous enemies are after both of them. I'd really like to know how they made it back okay on the Fiona path. As for "causing trouble", I'm not so sure about that. He acted like a bit of an ass, but the only real trouble he caused was telling Athena who Cassius is. And let's face it, Rhys and Sasha would have done that regardless.

I don't see any way in which it could be a choice. Regardless of his feelings towards Rhys, Jack would jump at a chance to control his body, especially if that was seemingly the only way to keep them both from harm.

Also, Jack is actually not always watching. It's proven that this is still true regardless of you choice at the end of Episode Two, as he has no idea if you've told Athena about him.

But Rhys doesn't actually need saving, Rhys still falls out of the elevator either way he just wakes up and goes back with Sasha if you don'

Sign in to comment in this discussion.