I wish Telltale would work longer on this..

edited July 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Now dont get me wrong. I dont HATE telltale, or one of thoose people whos gonna scream about how the game is shit because choices dont matter..

I'm just... dissapointed y'know? it's clear at this point that a product of telltales is lessend in quality the faster they work on it.. and since GoT is released faster...

My main point is choices (yeah I know, sensitive territory) But I feel like if they're gonna have a very linear story no matter what we do they could... add more "illusion" I guess? Change scenes up, even a little minorly depending on our choices. TFTB doesnt seem to have this issue. Episode 3 had two different openings depending on your episode 2 choice and impacted the episode later on too (even the opening, which I've noticed can have three unique varients)

... here, rather than giving one example, I'll give one for every major choice avalible (minus ones that dont need it):

• Did you stay with Bowen?
  • If you save Bowen he should help you in some QTES (it wont make much a difference to speed mashing) but it just adds to the animation.
  • Like Bowen trying to keep the cart up as Gared goes under it and stuff..
  • Who did Mira swear loyalty too?
  • If you side with Margery this should have an impact later in the season. Maybe Cersei takes it upon herself to torment you whenever you encounter eachother, or has a guard beat Mira for her insubordination with a few threats.. I mean it's Cersei, she's not gonna let you not swear loyalty to one of her children get away lightly.
  • What was Erik's Fate?
  • If you freed him, he should of stood up and said something during Rodrik's beating, leading to him also being restrained by guards and probably hit by Ludd, causing him to disrespect Ludd and possibly his death.
  • Where did Ethan meet Ramsay Snow?
  • If you met him at the gate, Ramsay should of made an example of how pitifull the Forresters really are, and had his army quickly bring down/up the gate and walks in, causing the gate to be broken for a few of the future episodes.
  • Bend the Knee?
  • Bending the knee is a minor choice, but if you didnt,Ramsay should of taken that as more of an insult (and if you called him Lord Snow) I could see him taking Ethans body by force, and returning it at the end of episode two flayed as an example of disloyalty.

Episode 2 seemed pretty good in the regard to be honest, I dont have many qualms with it..

• Who did you save?
  • Whoever you didn't save in Episode 3 should of died to dragon fire to be honest. Leading to a much more emotional Asher when confronting Dany in episode 4. They can use the corpse of their dead friend as evidence, or proceed to use the dragons claw they aquired to convince Dany overwise that it was drogon and lead to a much more angry asher at Dany when she dismisses him so easily.
  • What did Gared do to Britt?
  • If you thrown him off the wall, Gared should of only been found out alot later in the episode, maybe have 1 or 2 scenes of filler. Building your Bond with Finn and Cotter respectfully, talking to Jon Snow etc. They'll still capture Gared on suspicition of murder, but your friends should say that he "slipped" if they're loyal to you, leading to frostfinger to not listen as per usual.
  • How did Rodrik handle Gryff Whitehill?
  • If you don't submit to him, he should be alot angrier as the season progresses. Being alot more violent to the maester, maybe breaking an arm and then hitting rodrik as he arrives rather than talking first, kicking him if he's down, leading to Rodrik immediatly calling in the soldiers to "arrest" him.
  • If you did submit to him, he should be more pacified, but more ... douchier, maybe considering himself lord of the house now and sitting in the lord's chair in the meeting room and making demands of the citizens of Ironrath.
  • (his arrest will still happen, you just arrest him while he's sitting down eating chicken or something, leading to him being very confused)
  • The Ironwood decree is my most complaint, the guy in episode 2 made it seem that if I got it fast enough, we could still have a deal, yet in episode 3 he acted as if I was supposed to destroy it from the start, and it looks like a few weeks later, so Mira just held onto the decree for weeks (or a few days) doing nothing with it..
  • Regardless.. if you have it, Cersei should have your room searched (if you didnt swear loyalty to the king) and found it. and used it as blackmail to force you as an ally of hers againts tyrion "or else"
  • If you killed Beshka's former master then some guards should find the body, leading to increased guard count when getting to the bell. It could even change the situation some as they rush in and tell them to sound the bell as there's been a murder, leading to a much more "rushed" approach (rather than stealth), leading to you doing a big fight to get there, and maybe a few ofyour allies getting wounded (maybe even Asher)

Comments

• edited July 2015

Alt text

• If they worked longer then people would complain even harder about the wait like with Tales.

• edited July 2015

Double post.

• The wait for TTG's are already bad enough.

• Well the problem with why they can't really take longer comes from a couple good points. One being they have to make sure they stay relevant, since they do the episodic releases, they're losing people with every other week that passes where they don't put out a new episode. One of the worst periods of time where they suffered was, Wolf Among Us, the 2nd episode came out nearly 6 months after the first I believe, so they lost tons of momentum on that project so that reinforces the need for faster, ideally monthly episode releases.

Plus, they've got more competition then ever before so they're also being ushered more since there's other great episodic games coming out like, Life is Strange and Resident Evil Revelations 2. That's also partially why they're getting more of these big names to do projects on like Minecraft and Marvel, those names will help push those games since theirs so much weight behind them.

I do wish like you that they could spend more time with their games and actually make several different choices matter like with Dragon Age: Origins. But at the end of the day, I'm being thoroughly enjoyed by the story and I actually give a damn about the characters so even if my choices don't matter as much as I'd hoped, it's okay. As long as the game is enjoyable, I'm happy with the product.

• Wait Resdent Evil is going to be an episodic game? Seriously?

Well the problem with why they can't really take longer comes from a couple good points. One being they have to make sure they stay relevant

• No no no, it was just Revelations 2 that was episodic. Came out March/April (I believe) this year and every episode was released either every week or every other.

Wait Resdent Evil is going to be an episodic game? Seriously?

• Complaining is complaining, it doesnt exactly stop people from buying it once it comes out does it? and ultimately ends up being a good product. Infact the only people I see complaining are often people who are illterate as fuck, are barely fans of the source material and make impossible demands in general because they're impatient...

If they worked longer then people would complain even harder about the wait like with Tales.

• Yeah, but my issue is choices dont matter at all, its not like they even minorly effect something, things happen how they will no matter what. Unlike Tales where you have vastly different scenes, character development etc.

The only impactful choice I ever saw in the game is the fate of that guy Ethan can decide on and even then he only appears in the background or not at all in two of them. Sure, the story is great.. but when they have such a big flaw that they can easily rectify with a few extra weeks of work rather than rushing to release it like they did with the walking dead s1 it becomes... kinda an issue y'know?

Well the problem with why they can't really take longer comes from a couple good points. One being they have to make sure they stay relevant

• True enough, I wouldn't complain, but there would be people.

stevean2 posted: »

Complaining is complaining, it doesnt exactly stop people from buying it once it comes out does it? and ultimately ends up being a good prod

• Damn, you're also right, most of our choices doesn't matter.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Wolf Among Us, the 2nd episode came out nearly 6 months after the first I believe

Actually it was exactly four months, only one week more than it took for episode 2 of TFTB to come out.

edited July 2015

I wouldn't mind longer waits, but I've personally never cared about choices so long as the story is good. That being said some things do seem to get a bit railroaded at times.

I have to say that my favorite choice was definitely the Finn one, it had some interesting variants that began in episode 2. If you side with him in episode 2 you will see him in 4 and get the choice of whether or not to bring him, if you don't but make friends with him in 3 you will see him and be able to make the choice, however if you take every opportunity to ignore him and not be friends with him he throws you to the wolves and he doesn't show to bring him along. I thought that was neat.

• Tales from the Borderlands have more quality that game of thrones, the dialogue is better, choises matter a little more and etc, mainly because it takes more that 1 or near 2 months more that game of thrones. More time to work more quality. i dont mind the wait but if i could i wanted relesed all week :) like a proper tv show.

• Well that's the thing, what you or I may believe to be an impactful choice may not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. I'd say that there's other choices that matter but we just haven't seen their outcome yet, like do you have Fynn with you when you leave and how that might alter things, did you burn the letter Mira got. Myself, when I sent that dude to the Wall that never came back at all which really sucked, I'd have figured either his family would have popped up or he had shown up at the wall and caused problems for Gared but that never happened, so for me that ended up being a big ball of nothing.

TWD S1 had it's share of choice problem too though, the biggest being the end where even if you played perfect, good Lee, the stranger still called you a monster and said you did wrong, that made every choice of mine feel pointless along with keeping my arm. I do understand your frustration with choices not mattering or doing little all. It's just that Telltale doesn't have as much time/resources/money to fully do what they want, so the best they can do is provide us with these stories while holding up that veil of illusion about our choices.

But again, the longer they take the more it's going to hurt them so they don't have that luxury like bigger devs do. I wish they did, but they just don't, and at worst if they're just taking more time to now to ensure the episodes aren't stuttering horribly and the load times are painful like they were in past installments, then that's fine for myself. Hopefully they'll be able to provide us with more meaningful choices in later episodes/series's as well as they've been doing like you said in Tales.

stevean2 posted: »

Yeah, but my issue is choices dont matter at all, its not like they even minorly effect something, things happen how they will no matter wha

• Ah thank you for the confirmation! Was it really that long for the 2nd episode of Tales? I thought it was shorter than that, I remember thinking it was just like Wolf's wait period, but just a week's difference, that's crazy.

dojo32161 posted: »

Wolf Among Us, the 2nd episode came out nearly 6 months after the first I believe Actually it was exactly four months, only one week more than it took for episode 2 of TFTB to come out.

I think it mostly felt longer due to that cliffhanger.

Ah thank you for the confirmation! Was it really that long for the 2nd episode of Tales? I thought it was shorter than that, I remember thinking it was just like Wolf's wait period, but just a week's difference, that's crazy.

• @Sharkhunter21 You can talk to Erik in episode 2 during the tests sequence, he stands by the stairs at the balcony.

Well that's the thing, what you or I may believe to be an impactful choice may not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. I'd say that

• Also if you wasnt nice to Sera she wont be defending you in episode 4.

dojo32161 posted: »

I wouldn't mind longer waits, but I've personally never cared about choices so long as the story is good. That being said some things do see

• Get out of here! I must have missed him, I gotta go back and check that out. Do you remember at all if he was mad or any dialogue he may have said to Gared?

@Sharkhunter21 You can talk to Erik in episode 2 during the tests sequence, he stands by the stairs at the balcony.

• I don't mind tbh. As long as the story has me interested I'm happy, and this story definitely does

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited July 2015

He's really pissed at Ethan and the Forresters for sending him to the Wall

I can't remember everything word for word, but I can remember him saying "At least if he took my fingers I'd still be with my family" or something to that effect

Get out of here! I must have missed him, I gotta go back and check that out. Do you remember at all if he was mad or any dialogue he may have said to Gared?

• Yeah, Eric appears in every episode so far if you send him to the Wall.

• ~

Get out of here! I must have missed him, I gotta go back and check that out. Do you remember at all if he was mad or any dialogue he may have said to Gared?

• I actually prefer Game of Thrones's quality, but we all have our opinions. Not to say I don't like Tales, though, bc it's definitely one of my favorite TTG's made so far!

jackymasdar posted: »

Tales from the Borderlands have more quality that game of thrones, the dialogue is better, choises matter a little more and etc, mainly beca

• As a few others have said, I'm all for story over choices. I care about the story, not if choices hugely impact gameplay. Besides, the choices we have I'm happy with-- such as bringing Finn along, which I hope will have him stick around until at least Episode 6. We don't even know how much our choices will matter in the end, so there's little point in complaining until then.

• https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/87224/details-that-people-might-forget-don-t-notice-or-just-don-t-know-about-got-edition/

This thread actually points out some interesting consequences to choices that I wasn't aware of - for example, in Episode 4, Rodrick's demeanor/attitude can change based on how you treated Griff shortly beforehand. It's more of a minor change than others, but reading through your main post, it kinda fits in with the subtle changes you mentioned that you wish Telltale would add. There are several more, but that one stuck out off of the top of my head.

• AHH!!! Thank you so much for finding a video and thanks to everyone else of course too for catching my mistake. That's awesome, can't believe I missed and didn't notice him.In case it wasn't obvious already, scratch everything I said about this choice in my earlier post, I was dead wrong.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

~

• Yeah, that's completely my bad, I think I was too excited to see and talk to Jon.

• Yeah, I recorded this in my second playthrough, because I didn't know about him being there until that! They kind of hid him away, didn't they? It is pretty cool seeing him each episode, though. You just gotta look carefully.

AHH!!! Thank you so much for finding a video and thanks to everyone else of course too for catching my mistake. That's awesome, can't believ

• Between waiting for game of thrones episode 5 and life is strange episode 4, it gets so boring yet excitied too.

• WHYS THIS A THREAD DONT MAKE ME WAAAAAAAIT

• I enjoy Game of Thrones but i do wish the choices had more impact. I question the whole episodic thing tho... like i know thats what telltale is known for but whats the point of releasing 1/6 of a game every 2-4 months. why not plan is out from start to finish but also plan out how every other choice changes the story and do all the drawing or whatever they do to make the game and graphics and all that stuff and then when you bring in actors for the voices you can knock it all out then release the games fully completed that way you get the quality in the work and your not being waited on by customers and players are happy to get the whole game

• I feel that Game of Thrones has been fantastic it's my favourite Telltale series so far.

• I'm not sure. I dont really see why though, season 5 is over if it was meant to be some sort of prequel that ran alongside it.

• [removed]

• Yeah.. they'll be complaining on literally everything ever.. it's just... human I guess. :P

True enough, I wouldn't complain, but there would be people.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.