Is Duncan stupid?

WTF? Gryff didn't beat the maester because Rodrik defied him, he beat him up because he failed to save the guy who was bitten by Talia.

Even Gryff says it "You let that bite fester." Also he still beats up maester even if you obeyed him.

enter image description here

Comments

• Duncan wasn't there when Gryff beat up Ortengryn.

• Just forget the scene exists I try to or imagine Duncan/Royland got hit on the head or something

• Ok but he is trying to make it seem like its Rodricks fault.

Duncan wasn't there when Gryff beat up Ortengryn.

• He is required by script to betray you so, yeah.

• Probably...

• Well considering how he behaves if you heed his advice at every decision, but your little brother didn't give him a shiny bracelet, I would say he is quite stupid and/or his short term memory is damaged.
    Tbh this whole scene made very little sense but TTG really riddled that episode with plotholes so yeah...

• we know he cares about the forresters not just by what he says also because he send garred to find the north grove. i guess he really thought he was buying time and delaying the war "rodrick drives the house into" by telling ludd their plans

• He's not exactly wrong, yes it happens no matter what but you could argue that if you stood up to Gryff he beats Ortengryn out of frustration. I wish people would stop whining about the traitor.

• WTF? Gryff didn't beat the maester because Rodrik defied him, he beat him up because he failed to save the guy who was bitten by Talia.

If you stood up to Gryff is what Duncan references as defying him, and btw "failed to save the guy who was bitten"? What the hell does Talia have, rabies?

• edited August 2015

Yeah, but he says "defying Gryff and leaving Ortengryn to pay the price" like it is Rodrik's fault that the Maester was being beaten. He was not beaten for Rodrik defying Gryff.

almighty posted: »

WTF? Gryff didn't beat the maester because Rodrik defied him, he beat him up because he failed to save the guy who was bitten by Talia.

• The whole traitor thing made no sense whatsoever.

I'm just trying not to think about it so much. It ruined episode 5 for me already, I don't want to let it ruin the whole game.

• Human mouths are dirty. Biting someone can easily kill them without medical attention, sometimes even then (as in this case.)

• I wouldn't say Duncan or Royland is stupid; I'd say this episode was stupid.

• He was not beaten for Rodrik defying Gryff.

On the contrary, It's quite obvious that Gryffs frustration with Rodrik is what lead to it.

The bite was just an excuse. I invite you to view the scene again.

-

Not sure what Duncan says if you stayed in the mud, but it made perfect sense in my play through.

Yeah, but he says "defying Gryff and leaving Ortengryn to pay the price" like it is Rodrik's fault that the Maester was being beaten. He was not beaten for Rodrik defying Gryff.

• That is true.

I wouldn't say Duncan or Royland is stupid; I'd say this episode was stupid.

• As @LordGoss1138 said, just forget everything that happened in this episode. The entire traitor reveal was so far beyond bad writing much can be said about the episode as a whole.

• edited August 2015

Sometimes, in games like this, I wish I could say something that is not among the options. Usually once or twice every episode.

On episode 5, there were more dialogues that didn't have an option that I was okay with than dialogues that actually had such an option, especially on Mira and Rodrik's parts. So many missed opportunities on this episode.

Clemenem posted: »

As @LordGoss1138 said, just forget everything that happened in this episode. The entire traitor reveal was so far beyond bad writing much can be said about the episode as a whole.

• Even if you do stay down (which I didn't) he still beats the Maester. Gryff believed that he was the lord of Ironrath, and he viewed Ortengryn not being able to save the soldier as disobedience to his rule.

He was not beaten for Rodrik defying Gryff. On the contrary, It's quite obvious that Gryffs frustration with Rodrik is what lead to

• Maybe Gryff wasn't so wrong about the Maester and he actually did something to make the wound worse.

• Of course the maester gets beaten regardless, but we're talking about Duncans reference and how it's absolutely fine.

In the scenario where you stand up to Gryff, Duncan will say that you "flagrantly defied gryff, leaving ortengryn to pay the price" because the beating was most associated with Gryff being "harsher" in retaliation to Rodriks "defiance", not the bite. If Duncan says the same thing even if you submitted to Gryff, then you have an argument.

Even if you do stay down (which I didn't) he still beats the Maester. Gryff believed that he was the lord of Ironrath, and he viewed Ortengryn not being able to save the soldier as disobedience to his rule.

• Right?

"But Ramsay, Ludd took the other half!"

"I vouched for you!/Told your secret!"

[Gesture to guard and nod]

Those are the only options off the top of my head that I wish we had, there's probably more though.

Abeille posted: »

Sometimes, in games like this, I wish I could say something that is not among the options. Usually once or twice every episode. On episod

• Some of the ones that bothered me were a problem because they made me feel like the game expected me to act in a way, and I acted differently.

"Yes, I did in fact show mercy to Gryff". I feel like the game expected me to have maimed Gryff when Ramsay asked if I showed mercy to him and the game didn't let me answer.

"I followed every advice you gave me". Feels like the game expected me to always side with my sentinel, but I did the opposite.

"Alright wait guys, we really should burn Finn's corpse"

"Lucan, you are a moron. Taking this wine to him will only make him suspicious"

When asked if Cersei sent me, "No, of course she didn't" while nodding. Tyrion would have picked that up easily, he is a smart man. The choice could me named "You fooled Lucan". Gods I hate Lucan.

Also, something that I really expected to happen. I thought I would have the opportunity to say my condolences to Cersei for Joffrey's death. It was only polite to do so, and I really wouldn't want Cersei to think I'm rude.

When Asher is telling Beskha what to do if he dies in the pit, I wish I could have gone the funny route that I usually take with him and said "Go get drunk for the both of us" or something like that.

The last two are very minor but it was just what my characters would say, the way I play them.

Right? "But Ramsay, Ludd took the other half!" "I vouched for you!/Told your secret!" [Gesture to guard and nod] Those are the only options off the top of my head that I wish we had, there's probably more though.

• Ditto.

All in all, this whole episode felt forced and full of holes. I hated playing my Mira as really intelligent in episodes 1-4 only to have her act with intelligence equal to Sera's in this episode. I didn't show Gryff any mercy but I did feel that not having the ability to tell Ramsay you did was a big "fuck you" to those who did. I'm really hoping episode 6 doesn't pull this crap again.

Abeille posted: »

Some of the ones that bothered me were a problem because they made me feel like the game expected me to act in a way, and I acted differentl

• edited August 2015

I completely disagree with it being Rodrik's fault, but I get what you are saying. I am going to test it and see if he still says that if you submit to Gryff.

Of course the maester gets beaten regardless, but we're talking about Duncans reference and how it's absolutely fine. In the scenario whe

• Gryff is a lunatic craving for power, and Duncan can become an idiot if he don't agree with the lord's way's. So yeah, Duncan will be stupid if you didn't agree with him.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.