Goodbye Helios?

I remember that someone had a theory that Helios isn't visible in the present scenes, because it got blown up or something. The biggest counter-argument was that you could see Helios and Elpis in the sky while Stranger was dragging Rhys through the wastelands in Ep 1.

enter image description here

But here's something interesting I found while browsing Tumblr. The game has appearently been patched and now you can't see Helios in any of the shots in the present.

enter image description here

Does that mean Helios gets destroyed in Ep 5? Or maybe they just didn't want to show new yellow eye of Helios?

Comments

• edited August 2015

At the end of Tiny Tina's DLC Vault Hunters acquires codes to Helios and they decide to blow it up so maybe we gonna see it in Ep. 5?

• I hope so, it would be legendary!

At the end of Tiny Tina's DLC Vault Hunters acquires codes to Helios and they decide to blow it up so maybe we gonna see it in Ep. 5?

• Hold on a second... where is Elpis?! D:

• edited August 2015

Maybe Helios and Elpis were somehow ,,trapped" in Vault of the Traveller and they keep getting teleported all over universe? Well, probably not :p

Axton posted: »

Hold on a second... where is Elpis?!

• edited August 2015

I think it was about the color of the eye.

• Thanks so much for bring this up, OP, I'd saw the post on Tumblr yesterday, and had been ruminating about it ever since. User donotchoosesidesyet started the discussion here. She's since brought up the meteor shower too, which is a really great point, because I was so confused at the beginning of Ep. 4 - how did Stranger/Fiona/Rhys end up on Elpis?! Nope, wait, it's just Pandora still.

I'd noticed in the past that Telltale had chosen to use a lot of really low camera angles with the Stranger's scenes, and in a lot of them you can't get a good view of the sky. In all the scenes set in the past, it's never been an issue, lots of Helios shots. I don't know if Telltale has chosen to do this because a) Helios/Elpis are gone in the present b) they're trying to keep Episodes 1-4 fairly spoiler free about the state of Hyperion/Helios for intrigue. I have to say, I'd be quite sad to lose Handsome Helios. Lots of interesting potential there, alongside being genuinely terrifying as hell. Also Elpis, my old buttslamming grounds!

• That'd be absolutely amazing! (I'd be a bit sad to lose Helios and Elpis permanently, so this would be a great consolation.)

Maybe Helios and Elpis were somehow ,,trapped" in Vault of the Traveller and they keep getting teleported all over universe? Well, probably not

• ._.

Welp, goodbye Elpis as well?

Axton posted: »

Hold on a second... where is Elpis?!

• It's apparently true, there is no Helios or Elpis. And I'm really worried about that.

• A popular idea is that Borderlands 3 will begin with all Vault Hunters, old and new, storming Helios together...until the usual giant accident happens.

Or perhaps the Vault accidentally teleported Elpis somewhere.

• Woah. Just checked in my game and restarted EP1, that scene was the only time you could see Helios and Elpis in the future if I remember correctly but now there's no Helios or Elpis there! That's very.. interesting. Wasn't EP1 patched a while ago and it edited some stuff like when you tell Loaderbot to fly away it says (?) Good choice/decision instead of Loaderbot will store that in memory or something? Whatever happened it's very interesting because most future scenes don't show the sky much

• What beast they'll free this time? Unicron, the Planet Eater? No wonder Gortys project is "a bad business".

• My theory is that something will change the appearance of Helios (like the colour change to orange) so they patched it out to avoid spoilers or chage it later. I think Elpis still exists but they just took out the entire pic to avoid spoilers or something. They might put it back in sometime.

• The scenes from Ep. 4 teaser didn't come to pass within the new episode as well - all the warning sirens, 'please stay calm' etc. It looked like the employees were evacuating Helios. Maybe something was originally supposed to happen with/to Helios in Ep. 4 but was moved to Ep. 5?

blue_pen posted: »

Thanks so much for bring this up, OP, I'd saw the post on Tumblr yesterday, and had been ruminating about it ever since. User donotchoosesid

• Holy crap, that's huge. I always loved people's theories about it being blown up, but was also always the first to post that screenshot and crush their dreams (what can I say, I'm a horrible person).

But Elpis too?! As an Aussie that's slightly heartbreaking - Elpis always felt like home...

Maybe (as others have pointed out) it is the fact that it originally showed the 'eye' being blue, even though the ending to ep 4 suggests that it should now be yellow/orange, and they removed it to stop the inconsistency?

• Maybe (as others have pointed out) it is the fact that it originally showed the 'eye' being blue, even though the ending to ep 4 suggests that it should now be yellow/orange, and they removed it to stop the inconsistency?

Maybe, but it is pretty weird that they'd remove Helios and Elpis just for the ending of EP4. But I'm not sure about something, like I said before wasn't EP1 updated a while ago? Did they update the Helios and Elpis scene with that update, or did this happen when EP4 was released?

Anyway you might be right, if they show Helios with a yellow eye in the start it would be kind of a spoiler, maybe they just moved it's location from the sky so it can't be seen while playing? Though I always found it weird that most future scenes don't show the sky but in the past, you can mostly see Helios and Elpis

Holy crap, that's huge. I always loved people's theories about it being blown up, but was also always the first to post that screenshot and

• I replayed all three eps in the week leading up to the release and Elpis/Helios was 100% still there because I thought of the theory as soon as I saw it. So it had to have happened around the same time that episode 4 came out?

CarL_J posted: »

Maybe (as others have pointed out) it is the fact that it originally showed the 'eye' being blue, even though the ending to ep 4 suggests th

• I've been waiting for this since the ending of Tiny TIna's DLC.

I really really really want to blow up Helios.

• Yeah, I think they updated it with the release of Ep 4.

I replayed all three eps in the week leading up to the release and Elpis/Helios was 100% still there because I thought of the theory as soon as I saw it. So it had to have happened around the same time that episode 4 came out?

• Nice idea but the vault teleports every few minutes :P

Maybe Helios and Elpis were somehow ,,trapped" in Vault of the Traveller and they keep getting teleported all over universe? Well, probably not

• Why wouldn't they patch in a different colour?

I think it was about the color of the eye.

• Thank god. Hyperion surveyors were a pain in the ass. So does that now mean Lilith and her gang will appear in episode 5? It would be interesting how she reacts towards us and how Brick and Mordecai react to seeing us again.

• Well, it doesn't change for those who don't choose to rule, does it? How would the game know what color to choose in ep.1 for a new player?

Flog61 posted: »

Why wouldn't they patch in a different colour?

• Ah, I see.

Well, it doesn't change for those who don't choose to rule, does it? How would the game know what color to choose in ep.1 for a new player?

• Noooo! Helios is such a cool space station they can't destroy it!

• If Helios gets destroyed, doesn't that mean that Handsome Jack goes down too. I thought the plot of BL3 would start with the end of TFTB, but if Jack dies then where could they go from there... maybe we'll get a new villain.

• I know right? I'd rather repurrpose it or something, it always looked so cool from Pandora, seeing that huge space station in the sky.

Leluch123 posted: »

Noooo! Helios is such a cool space station they can't destroy it!

• This theory sounds very plausible - this terrifies me very much! :O

• edited August 2015

I don't think there would be an actual antagonist in Bl3 since they have to prepare for the "War".etc. Probably mini antagonists.

Dekon55951 posted: »

If Helios gets destroyed, doesn't that mean that Handsome Jack goes down too. I thought the plot of BL3 would start with the end of TFTB, but if Jack dies then where could they go from there... maybe we'll get a new villain.

• Ok I have a question because I am very confused at the moment...

Does Jack need Helios to stay alive? I know if you reject Hyperion he says something like "my sweet new body". And I'm betting that if you chose to Rule Hyperion, Jack will still get his body either way. If Jack does get a body then does he really need Helios or?

• edited August 2015

Yeah, must be with the EP4 release then.. Very interesting. I think it's about the eye of Helios turning yellow/orange in EP4's ending if you choose to rule Hyperion. Maybe they just moved it from the sky in that scene to avoid EP5 spoilers? I don't think Helios will blow up in EP5.. Hmm we'll see, but pretty interesting either way

I replayed all three eps in the week leading up to the release and Elpis/Helios was 100% still there because I thought of the theory as soon as I saw it. So it had to have happened around the same time that episode 4 came out?

• Jack uploads himself into Helios, Fiona blows up the station to kill Jack once and for all. BL3 will probably have finishing off the rest of Mega-corps since people in the Borderlands universe must be getting sick of them by now.

• I think it changes no matter what since Jack still enters Hyperion's system. In the rejection ending, it just doesn't show it.

Well, it doesn't change for those who don't choose to rule, does it? How would the game know what color to choose in ep.1 for a new player?

• Spoilers maybe? Idk.

Flog61 posted: »

Why wouldn't they patch in a different colour?

• I thought that when Jack talked about his "sweet new body" he meant Helios station.

Ok I have a question because I am very confused at the moment... Does Jack need Helios to stay alive? I know if you reject Hyperion he sa

• edited August 2015

Ehh, I feel that is a very weird way of phrasing that...I also find it a lil coincidental that you see an immortally prototype sitting in his office. Personally, I think Jack gets his own body made out of that immortally stuff. I also know that there is some unused audio from Episode 4 and he talks more about his body...but you also could be right!

I thought that when Jack talked about his "sweet new body" he meant Helios station.

• I always thoughts instead of blowing up it could crash into Pandora instead? I mean the only way to stop Jack would be to shut of Helios entirely meaning no power for it to keep itself in the exact same position (Yes, it may be floating around in space but you can ALWAYS see it no matter where you are in BL2 in the exact same place meaning it can't be orbiting Pandora). I guess maybe Yvette, Fiona and Sasha could team up to get rid of Jack and Yvette tells them the only way to stop him is by turning of Helios' power but it would crash into Pandora (which obviously would be very bad) but Sasha decides to anyway because "it's never felt like home to her" and it's full of bandits and crazy people. As for Elpis I guess we can't see it as it is daytime.

• Yes, it may be floating around in space but you can ALWAYS see it no matter where you are in BL2 in the exact same place meaning it can't be orbiting Pandora

Yes, it can. It could be in a geostationary orbit. Look it up.

I always thoughts instead of blowing up it could crash into Pandora instead? I mean the only way to stop Jack would be to shut of Helios ent

• It could, but wouldn't it be too far away? I mean you're probably right but since Helios is close to Elpis it'd have to be out of range. I don't know I'm not an astronomer or anything.

Reliqum posted: »

Yes, it may be floating around in space but you can ALWAYS see it no matter where you are in BL2 in the exact same place meaning it can't be orbiting Pandora Yes, it can. It could be in a geostationary orbit. Look it up.

• I don't think it would be too far away. It should be possible to achieve a perfect luna- and geostationary orbit between Pandora and Elpis. I'd roll up a simulation for you if I didn't already have like 10000 other projects at hand.

It could, but wouldn't it be too far away? I mean you're probably right but since Helios is close to Elpis it'd have to be out of range. I don't know I'm not an astronomer or anything.

This discussion has been closed.