Is Episode 5 Really That Bad?

edited August 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Like really, aside from the whole traitor thing and a few minor plot holes, I thought everything else in episode 5 was alright overall. I feel like people only focus on the bad things about the episode rather than look at the whole thing. If you thought any other part was bad, post it here.

Comments

• It's kind of the perfect storm. Finn, Tyrion, and the traitor came together in unison to make people to really dislike it.

• edited August 2015

It's bad, but some people are blowing it out of proportion.

• Exactly what I mean when I'm saying people are only looking at the bad things.

It's kind of the perfect storm. Finn, Tyrion, and the traitor came together in unison to make people to really dislike it.

• I've come to accept that, most of the time, the things this forum holds up as awful are usually okay at the worst.

• Is it the best, no, but people are blowing it way out of proportion. I would say it's a decent episode, not the best, but certainly not the worst, and certainly not deserving of some of the hate it gets.

• edited August 2015

completely agree with this... although episode 5 (in my opinion) was the weakest out of the series, it was still a decent episode with a good amount of enjoyable parts (like my ratings for episodes this series all range between a 9 and 10 and episode 5 is an 8) so it isnt the worst thing ever as some people portray it on the forums

Is it the best, no, but people are blowing it way out of proportion. I would say it's a decent episode, not the best, but certainly not the worst, and certainly not deserving of some of the hate it gets.

• edited August 2015

(can anyone delete this comment for me? my typo fixed itself after numerous tries and now i have a random reply that i cam't delete)

sbk12345 posted: »

completely agree with this... although episode 5 (in my opinion) was the weakest out of the series, it was still a decent episode with a goo

• IOS is evil.

sbk12345 posted: »

(can anyone delete this comment for me? my typo fixed itself after numerous tries and now i have a random reply that i cam't delete)

• No. Everyone's focusing on the bad things, when they should be thinking about the fact that Asher's story really felt like it mattered this episode, which it didn't in all the previous.

• It was my favorite episode, but whatever fiddles other peoples twiddle.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I think it gets blown out of proportion for the most part

It's like this game's equivalent to Amid The Ruins

• edited August 2015

Well the traitor scene seemed like the stranger scene in TWD. I still liked the episode though.

Deltino posted: »

I think it gets blown out of proportion for the most part It's like this game's equivalent to Amid The Ruins

• I agree, it is the weakest episode because of one scene not being that great, and while your mileage may vary on the traitor scene, it was still a good episode. I would have given it a 7, but that final scene is just so absolutely fantastic in every respect, it really takes everything up a notch. Perfect example of how just one scene can turn decent or good into great. Had its flaws, but by god if one scene made it all worth it.

• I loved the Episode but I am a little disappointed with the length but that's it, I feel like a lot of members here exaggerate.

• Length wasn't a problem for me, sure the earlier episodes were really long, but this wasn't incredibly short. Then again, I do click on everything, really length doesn't matter as long as the content was good. Bloody hell, the last episode of TWAU was literally an hour, but it was the best episode, what does that tell you?

AgentZ46 posted: »

I loved the Episode but I am a little disappointed with the length but that's it, I feel like a lot of members here exaggerate.

• I didn't actually like the last episode of the Wolf among us :p but yeah length isn't that much of an issue for me either I just wish it was longer.

Length wasn't a problem for me, sure the earlier episodes were really long, but this wasn't incredibly short. Then again, I do click on eve

• Episode five was bad? Ha! Nice joke.

• There are some good things about the episode don't get me wrong, and a few minor bad things regarding the plot that didn't make logical sense. But the thing that really really frustrated me as a viewer was the last scene with Asher and Rodrick. I mean come on, he KNEW there was an ambush, and he rides up to Asher like it's all good, not a care in the world. There should've been a whole scene dedicated to try and spring the trap, that is the logical thing to do as a leader trying to protect his family and house. Rodrick does the complete opposite of someone that has been given information about an ambush on Asher the second he gets off the boat. He does NOTHING with it. That really frustrated me.

• edited August 2015

Episode 5 is okay-ish if you did what the game expected you to do.

If you played the game differently than it is expected, some stuff makes little sense and there are some pretty awkward cuts. It is also easy to find some pretty major plot holes, not to mention Ramsay's involvement in the story kinda ruins it. Two out of the four POVs were absolutely neglected, Gared's POV being pure filler and Mira holding the Idiot Ball on this episode. I'm not going into detail again over these things because they were already extensively discussed (which is a good thing, I hope TellTale's staff read one of the many analyses that pointed out all the storytelling problems with the episode so they don't do it again).

So... In my opinion, yes, episode 5 is pretty bad. The traitor thing was the worst "traitor twist" I ever saw in a TellTale game, and it kinda ruined the episode for me because I was so angry with all the plot holes and the awkward cuts it caused in my game that I couldn't even enjoy the final scene properly. Episode 5 is the reason why I am probably not going to do another playthrough of this game anytime soon (and I usually do play the whole game again once all the episodes are out). I just don't feel like going through it again. However, I enjoyed the other episodes (especially episode 4) and I still have high hopes that episode 6 will be good enough. Luckily, the lasting impression this game will make will be good overall, and I will remember it as a good game instead of as "that game with the atrocious penultimate episode".

• It is not as bad as some make it out to be, but it is still very mediocre compared to the other episodes.

Some of my biggest gripes with the episode are

• Ramsay screwing everything up and prancing away because of his plot armor. The thing that annoys me most about Ramsay Stu's involvement besides being a canon character, is Arthur being flayed no matter what you did in episode 4 (bringing the Glenmores to Highpoint or leaving them at Ironrath). If you brought them to Highpoint then it makes absolutely no sense that Ramsay is suddenly able to have him flayed within the 5 minute conversation you have with him at the beginning of the episode.
    • The traitor was such awful writing that words can't even describe how terrible it was. The traitor being determinant on who didn't receive the shiny bracelet is ridiculous and their reasoning was beyond stupid.
    • We still don't know where the North Grove is
    • Gryff's wolverine regeneration abilities
  • It is pretty bad compared to other Telltale episodes no matter what fan boys try and tell you. Many plot points are left plot holes, the episode is shortened and many things come to a major disappointment. It's definitely my least favorite Telltale episode ever

• My thoughts exactly about the Stranger, only that it makes more sense especially when he was unstable, but the traitor here doesn't make sense

Menofthe214 posted: »

Well the traitor scene seemed like the stranger scene in TWD. I still liked the episode though.

• Your forgetting the last scene of the episode, rodrick knowing of an ambush and rides into it like there's nothing going on, it's beyond lazy writing

It is not as bad as some make it out to be, but it is still very mediocre compared to the other episodes. Some of my biggest gripes with

• Maybe the traitor was unstable too?

IvySketches posted: »

My thoughts exactly about the Stranger, only that it makes more sense especially when he was unstable, but the traitor here doesn't make sense

• No, it isn't. The episode is great, I don't even care if the traitor scene was 'bad writing' (I don't think it was). I enjoyed that scene a lot for one reason, I was convinced Duncan was the traitor and when it turned out to be Royland (for me) I was so surprised, yeah maybe Telltale could have used better reasons and maybe had it depending on what you did as Rodrik nevertheless I still enjoyed that part more than I thought I would. Maybe it isn't as good as the other episodes but I really don't know. I feel the same about it as I do with every episode, I thought it was good and I enjoyed it.

People complain all the time, it's what we do, we find the bad things and complain about them and don't look at the good things. Plus some of the fans here just blame bad writing and move on... Ahem I mean, they don't move on they keep complaining about bad writing to the end of time. You'll see the same threads in about 6 months time saying 'Why episode 5 was the worst episode' 'Episode 5 was just lazy writing' and 'GoT was the worst game yet because of Episode 5'.

Another problem is that we expect too much, penultimate episodes of pretty much everything are fillers. It fills it because it's preparing you for the finale. It does it's job well. So, can we for once not blame everything on bad writing? Episode 5 was not bad writing or lazy writing or anything of the sort, it was a filler. It was a good episode that had a few plot holes, but everything has plot holes, games, shows, movies, life... :) So... Yeah! I didn't mean for that to be a rant.

• Compared to the others it is, The gared parts were the only moments I liked really

• If it's Duncan then maybe, since he lost his brother and niece (ep 1). But Royland, maybe not.

Brodester08 posted: »

Maybe the traitor was unstable too?

• Why does everyone hate the traitor scene? In my opinion and my playtrough it made perfect sense that the traitor would be the man I ignored most. (Duncan)
    He is angry cause he felt like I was a terrible lord because i mostly respected Royland's decisions and he hates Royland. They hate eachother. I mean who else could be the traitor? My sentinel and most loyal man? Yeah, no. Your mother or sister? Hell no. Maester? WHY would he betray you? I think its unfair that someone accuses them of terrible writing, when in the end the person who was the Traitor couldnt have been anyone else. If you think otherwise, then please- tell me: Why?

• The traitor scene may make sense for you but for a lot of people it didn't because they chose one guy as sentinel but then only chose the advice of the other guy the entire time or listened to him more, they still betray you and accuse you of being soft/being too hard, but the only reason they have is that Ethan didn't choose them as sentinel. It especially irks some people because the traitor claims they only did it to be against Rodrick, they weren't offered anything. It's especially weird for Duncan to be on the side of the Whitehills, who recently had his family killed.

The maester would make sense as the traitor because let's be honest what have we learned about him over the course of the story? He could have any motive for doing so, so long as it was hinted at.

Personally I didn't really mind the traitor sequence, but that's because I haven't really come to expect much out of GOT.

Why does everyone hate the traitor scene? In my opinion and my playtrough it made perfect sense that the traitor would be the man I ignored

• While I have don't have much of a beef with the traitor scene, they could have done a lot better with who it ended up being, instead of it just being one of our choices, make it a result of multiple choices. Let's say someone picked Duncan as their sentinel but ended up agreeing with Royland most if not all of the time, why would it make sense for Royland to be the traitor in that case. Literally his only reason would be because he wasn't picked as Sentinel, which is pathetic and childish. Telltale should have made it as a result of multiple choices as Ethan and Rodrik, and whoever you sided with the least would be the traitor. Some decision that come to mind would be:

1. How did you greet Ramsay (had him wait at the gate or welcome him)
    2. How did you decide to handle the Whitehill soldiers (make them drunk or not feed them)
    3. What did you decide to do (expel Gryff or rescue Ryon)
    4. How did you treat Gryff (with respect or defiance)
    5. Did you get up or stay on the ground
    6. Did you bring the Glenmore soldiers
    7. Which one did you bring to Highpoint (Duncan or Royland)

Based on your decisions in these pivotal moments, the game would determine the traitor as either Royland or Duncan, depending on who you sided with the least. If it was split, then just make it whoever wasn't Sentinel, that would still provide numerous reasons why they would betray the house.

Why does everyone hate the traitor scene? In my opinion and my playtrough it made perfect sense that the traitor would be the man I ignored

• This Episode had 2 Major flaws. The First is the traitor thing. But much Worse were the Mira and Gared Part. They're only there so you don't forget about about them. Their Parts didnt Continue the Plot further.

• Why does everyone hate the traitor scene?

1. Both royland and duncan do a 360 on personality

2. It makes both determinant meaning there future in the series will be very limited

3. The betrayal doesnt make sense from any characters perspective, what do they even get out of it

4. The betrayal is based off one decison by ethan in episode 1 (if it was based off everything overall then maybe)

• But that is not the game's fault now, is it? Look, when you play it for the first time and choose Duncan as Sentinel it's logical you listen to him instead of Royland no?
    Now, if you play the game the way that you choose one Sentinel and do the exact opposite of what he says then don't say it's the writers' fault cause that is simply the way it's not meant to be played. But what I hate the most is when some people get bad experiences, they automatically think that the game sucks and go on the forums saying how afwul it is when, in reality it really depends on how YOU play. Yes, that annoucment in the begining of the game is not a lie and has a deeper meaning.

dojo32161 posted: »

The traitor scene may make sense for you but for a lot of people it didn't because they chose one guy as sentinel but then only chose the ad

• To be fair, it shouldn't be all of these scenes that decide the traitor, 4-7 wouldn't be much use because those happen after a traitor is revealed to exist and wouldn't make sense if they ended up forming who the traitor is. But anything before that would be fine.

While I have don't have much of a beef with the traitor scene, they could have done a lot better with who it ended up being, instead of it j

1. That isn't true. In your playtrough, maybe but not in mine. My Duncan was constantly irritaited by my choices and made it known.
    2. That is just something that happened in the previous games, you don't think that there could be something new in their games? Be optimistic.
    3. Again, the Traitor felt irritaited and thought he could make better choices of the Forresters' destiny. He says he was saving you and you really don't know if he is lying.
    4. Choose a Sentinel. Do the exact opposite of what he says. Makes sense to you? Didn't think so.

Why does everyone hate the traitor scene? * Both royland and duncan do a 360 on personality * It makes both determinant meaning

• Yes some of them come after we learn about a traitor, but since we still didn't know who that particular person would be when we first learn about it, I think the game could still work with there being a traitor even if the game itself hasn't fully decided who that particular person is yet. However, I do see where you're coming from, and I guess you could also add "How did you handle Ludd when he first arrived at Ironrath" as a possible choice, as well as your decision about how to punish the guy who was stealing (I think his name was Eric). Those 5 I guess would be enough for the game to determine who would be the traitor.

dojo32161 posted: »

To be fair, it shouldn't be all of these scenes that decide the traitor, 4-7 wouldn't be much use because those happen after a traitor is re

• Nah, Finn's death, Sylvi's backstory, Sera abandoning Mira, a deal with Cercei and Mira meeting Tyrion again definetly didn't advance the plot.
    You serious?

GSSalvador posted: »

This Episode had 2 Major flaws. The First is the traitor thing. But much Worse were the Mira and Gared Part. They're only there so you don't forget about about them. Their Parts didnt Continue the Plot further.

• edited August 2015

Im sorry im willing to hold an argument about episode 5 as a whole but the traitor scene was an absolute horror

My Duncan was constantly irritaited by my choices and made it known.

So Duncan may have disagreed with your rodrik in that extreme set of circumstances (not that excuses every other outcome which differs from that). However does this mean duncan now hates your family enough to turncloak and betray everyone whos been close to him including sending his own nephew away

Be optimistic.

I am optomistic, Duncan/Royland (whoever is chosen as sentinal) being a background figure is the best we can possibly hope for. I'm optomoistic in that they survive the season though its a high possibility they could simply die in the finale

Traitor felt irritaited and thought he could make better choices of the Forresters' destiny. He says he was saving you and you really don't know if he is lying.

I dont say out of character offhandly but two loyal men doing something so rash for their known hated enemies for such a superficial reason is completely out of character and this comes from someone whos traitor was duncan who i disagreed with overall. He was still loyal acting in every one of his scenes previously.

Choose a Sentinel. Do the exact opposite of what he says. Makes sense to you? Didn't think so.

if you mean that this irrelevant comment to disagree with my fourth point then no, no it doesnt make sense. Choosing the sentinal doesnt mean you do the opposite of whatever they want.

* That isn't true. In your playtrough, maybe but not in mine. My Duncan was constantly irritaited by my choices and made it known. * That

• Finn's death really doesn't add anything (since he isn't there for everyone), just gets rid of a determinant character. You don't have to learn Sylvi's back story if you don't talk to Cotter so it really adds nothing, for Mira I'd agree that it pushes the plot for her a bit further.

Nah, Finn's death, Sylvi's backstory, Sera abandoning Mira, a deal with Cercei and Mira meeting Tyrion again definetly didn't advance the plot. You serious?

• Alright, you wanna dance? Let's dance!
    What do you mean by an "extreme set of circumstances"? Royland and Duncan gave their opinions, I chose Royland's. Lots of times. Duncan obviously didn't like that.
    Gared got sent to the wall in ep 1. The traitor wasn't revealed until episode 3 so we can assume he wasn't spying on us till then. Again I said the traitor believes he was saving your family and he said he did it for them. He didn't tell the Whitehills about the North Grove which means he still cares for the family.

Sooo just because they are determinant means they are gonna die later? If not, then your second point is nothing but prediction. So how does that make the traitor scene worse?

He was still loyal acting in every one of his scenes previously. - that only makes his betrayal more unexpected thus provides more depth to the betrayal thus making the traitor scene even better.

Im sorry im willing to hold an argument about episode 5 as a whole but the traitor scene was an absolute horror My Duncan was constant

Sign in to comment in this discussion.