Select how your character looks: Boy I didn't expect that

InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
edited August 2015 in Minecraft: Story Mode

https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/99531/new-screenshots-minecraft-story-mode-features-selectable-player-character

Today we can announce that Minecraft: Story Mode will be the first Telltale game series to feature a player character where YOU choose their appearance. Players will be able to select from several different options for both male and female versions of our hero Jesse.

The season will feature Patton Oswalt as male Jesse, Catherine Taber as female Jesse, Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Billy West, and Paul Reubens. Look for further casting details to come!

Check out these new screenshots from the season premiere, where you'll get a sneak peek at several different versions of Jesse. We can't wait to share the first episode of the season with you - look out for it premiering soon this fall on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PC/Mac, iOS and Android-based devices!

enter image description here

Comments

• Who will you chose?

I'll chose the Jesse we were originally shown since he still looks the coolest out of that line up.

• Well well, this is getting interesting. :D

• Wow! First picture! It's him, right?! It's Michael Jackson!

• To be honest I don't like the female models. Not sure why. I think the 2nd one is okay. For the male, I'm cool with them all, but I'll choose the 1st first one too. I wonder how much this will change the gameplay. I'll totally do a playthrough with a female just to see.

Maybe there will be stats with which model people chose.

dojo32161 posted: »

Who will you chose? I'll chose the Jesse we were originally shown since he still looks the coolest out of that line up.

• I like the Jesse with the black shirt and green suspenders - I'll probably choose him when I play.

Who will you chose? I'll chose the Jesse we were originally shown since he still looks the coolest out of that line up.

• Me too. The first male Jesse and the first female Jesse are the best ones. The one with black shirt looks cool though.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I don't know what design i want yet but i will have 2 or more saves so i can have both a male and female Jesse.

• edited August 2015

Wow i was not expecting that. I like the orginal Jesse so ill play him when i play. Or maybe ill be black. :P

• why no blonde haired blue eyed guy (or girl)? as a member of this minority i feel marginalised and i am deeply hurt and offended

• edited August 2015

They all looked really cute as hell.
    but as much as I love the others, I would still prefer to play as the first male Jesse.
    Because he's the only Jesse that I'm currently used to right now. :^)

• Huh, that's pretty cool. Wasn't expecting it at all.

• Once the first episode comes out I'm expecting threads asking you which one is the better voice actor.

• and simultaneously inventing the term "femjesse" and people being offended at the term "femjesse"

Once the first episode comes out I'm expecting threads asking you which one is the better voice actor.

• I call dibs on the term ManJesse.

and simultaneously inventing the term "femjesse" and people being offended at the term "femjesse"

• I like the second male Jesse on the left.

I like his outfit.

• how about machojesse, especially funny in a scottish accent (where jesse means wimp)

I call dibs on the term ManJesse.

• If I pick Male Jesse I'll go with the original, but if I were to choose female Jesse I would pick the one with stripes. Man this is such a cool feature. I LOVE you so much right now Telltale!

• Telltale couldn't have found a more notable actress for female Jesse? I mean no disrespect to Catherine Taber, but I had to look her up, and I didn't recognize a single one of her roles. Patton Oswald is a very well-known comedian, and I recognized his voice immediately in the first trailer. I'm not even asking for an A-list actress. Oswald is probably B-list himself. Someone like Kristen Schaal would have been awesome. As it is, it feels like female Jesse is just an afterthought. I'll probably end up trying out female Jesse at some point, but I wouldn't for a second consider choosing her for my first playthrough.

• that is funny, i would have said Kristen Schaal was the perfect female equivalent of patton oswalt as well, maybe not in voice terms though

mosfet posted: »

Telltale couldn't have found a more notable actress for female Jesse? I mean no disrespect to Catherine Taber, but I had to look her up, and

• The popularity of the voice actress doesn't matter, it's her talent and performance that matters. If she does a great job, I don't care if she's a well known or unknown actress.

Telltale couldn't have found a more notable actress for female Jesse? I mean no disrespect to Catherine Taber, but I had to look her up, and

• Oh. They didn't use the Alex model (thinner arms) for the female models. Strange.

• Skill and quality over popularity.

• Everythings better in black.

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2015

and simultaneously inventing the term "femjesse" and people being offended at the term "femjesse"

Exactly. The female and male versions of the main character are supposedly equally valid choices. Yet "Femjesse" would be the description of a deviation from the norm, hence less valid, at least if you don't call the male variant "Maljesse" or something like that. Which probably no one wants to do.

I know, I know, we live in complicated times. But it's really not that hard when you put your mind to it. After all, these claims are rather valid.

There's much to be said about the treatment of the main character(s) here. Personally, I love how the suspenders design is carried through all six variants. It's also commendable that Telltale resisted adding a pair of blocky breasts. The bow (?) in the Tabor-Jesses' hair could of course be interpreted as unwanted gender signifiers. Then again, it's two blocks, for crying out loud. :)

I guess we're pretty cool with the anti stereotypical gender representation crowd here! :)

• I'll probably choose Taber-Jesse just so I don't think "Oh yeah right, this is Patton Oswald speaking!" all the time. :)

• I would rather have had steve as the player character

• First male and female Jesse are my favorites. And first I didn't like the idea of a story driven Minecraft game, but now I'm kinda hyped...

• edited August 2015

i think people get offended about too many things, femshep was just a quick shorthand way of indicating you were talking about the female version of shepard, a deviation from the norm is not less valid, however the norm was male shepard, and i bet the norm will be male jesse as well.

There's much to be said about the treatment of the main character(s) here. Personally, I love how the suspenders design is carried through all six variants. It's also commendable that Telltale resisted adding a pair of blocky breasts. The bow (?) in the Tabor-Jesses' hair could of course be interpreted as unwanted gender signifiers. Then again, it's two blocks, for crying out loud. :)

i don't really get where you are going with this, the female jesse's are clearly female and they will have a female voice, you could argue either way with the breasts thing, it could be argued that the female versions of jesse are children or childlike, however i think the fact that there isn't a female body model in minecraft is the reason they didn't make a female body model in this game.

and what is a Tabor-jesse?

Vainamoinen posted: »

and simultaneously inventing the term "femjesse" and people being offended at the term "femjesse" Exactly. The female and male versi

• Oh my god. I'm starting to like this up-coming game to be honest..

• enter image description here

Killah posted: »

Oh my god. I'm starting to like this up-coming game to be honest..

• There's actually a female model called Alex in the game. It's just one pixel thinner than the Steve model.

i think people get offended about too many things, femshep was just a quick shorthand way of indicating you were talking about the female ve

• it's not female, it is just thinner, alex is a unisex name.

i am not built like a lumberjack, my name is alex and i am male, so i would use the thinner body if i wanted it to look more like me.

they just don't do breasts in minecraft because they would be pointier than lara croft's in tomb raider 1, and would look ridiculous

lupinb0y posted: »

There's actually a female model called Alex in the game. It's just one pixel thinner than the Steve model.

• Customizable player character? My interest has increased significantly.

• edited August 2015

Maybe men and women are supposed to have the same models, rather than women using the 'male model'. I mean, what did you want, women minecraft characters having big breasts pointing out of their models? Men and women really don't look that dissimilar, especially when heavily pixilated.

Also it's nout about 'offended'. Saying 'ugh people get offended sooo easily' is very often unfair, and putting words in other peoples mouths, and a pretty generic way of people trying to dodge talking about issues.

Saying 'ugh people get offended sooo easily' is in itself one of the attitudes which has historically (e.g. In Ancient Greece greeks making fun of women wanting to leave the home saying 'oh no we've UPSET you' in late hellenic poety) been a part of limiting progress.

Some people overreact, yeah. Some people underreact, as well. Talking about women in gaming is important, becvause by talking about women in gaming over the last decade the presentation of women has overall improved massively, and is much of the time on par with male presentation, especially in non tripe-A games.

Tl-dr: saying 'ugh people get offended too easily' isn't an excuse to refuse to consider the possiblity of sexism existing in places you yourself didn't immediately recognise it.

i think people get offended about too many things, femshep was just a quick shorthand way of indicating you were talking about the female ve

• edited August 2015

i don't think you read what i said, i never said they shouldn't use the same models, and i explained my reasoning behind why i don't think the term femshep is offencive, while you are just making offensive assumptions about me and totally going off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what i said.

snip

Flog61 posted: »

Maybe men and women are supposed to have the same models, rather than women using the 'male model'. I mean, what did you want, women minecra

• Uhhh... yeah, I snipped that last part. We can do without the personal insults.

i don't think you read what i said, i never said they shouldn't use the same models, and i explained my reasoning behind why i don't think t

• edited August 2015

ok then, i will just have to say that their statement was ignorant and bigoted then, because that isn't a personal insult.

also using ignorant and bigoted statements to stop ignorance and bigotry isn't a good way of doing it

Vainamoinen posted: »

Uhhh... yeah, I snipped that last part. We can do without the personal insults.

• that isn't a personal insult

Yet it's a similar escalation strategy.

ok then, i will just have to say that their statement was ignorant and bigoted then, because that isn't a personal insult. also using ignorant and bigoted statements to stop ignorance and bigotry isn't a good way of doing it

• Probably gonna play as a girl, just to switch it up a little

• That's really cool! Good job Telltale!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.