Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures have commenced! Let's get playing!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited June 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
wg-subpage-logo.png

Woo it's finally started! We've just released the first episode of Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, "Fright of the Bumblebees." Are you guys checking it out? What do you think so far?

We've got more at the W&G website, including Wallace & Gromit hints and walkthroughs for those who are stuck right out of the gate. (It's okay, we'll only mock you behind your back!)

Grand Adventures continues in May with episode two, "The Last Resort," followed by "Muzzled!" and "The Bogey Man." We'll have more about those guys in the near future. For now, enjoy!

Also, since we love deals, we have another one:
To celebrate the launch of the series, we're following up last week's crazy deal with an all new crazy deal. We're crazy, apparently! During launch week, the game bundle is marked down to $29.95 (usually $34.95), and when you buy W&G you can add as much other stuff from the store as you'd like into your cart, and it'll all be 50% off! This is a ridiculous deal, if you were curious.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Oh wow! That second deal could have actually saved me more money than the first, considering I've been very seriously considering snagging two signed prints.

Ah well. I jumped on the first deal. I suppose that's the way it works. =/
  • edited March 2009
    337 MB
    Holy crap. I don't think my computer's going to like this very much. I'm on a download limit, too. I'm still going to download it because I really want the game, but the size just took me by surprise.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh wow! That second deal could have actually saved me more money than the first, considering I've been very seriously considering snagging two signed prints.

Did you get the email yet? If you ordered the game through TTG, you should have gotten a 50% off code as well. Woohoo!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009

Actually, as a preorder customer, you'll be getting a 50% off coupon in the email that contains your download link. We wouldn't want to snub the early adopters, after all. ;)

EDIT: Derwin beat me to it! Telltale, give that man a job! :D
  • edited March 2009
    sweet! I caught their ad on ShutterCal.com! So glad I found out about this, awesome!
  • edited March 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Derwin beat me to it! Telltale, give that man a job! :D

You don't know how long I have been waiting to hear you say that.

I will be in the office tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. I would be in earlier but it is going to be quite a long drive from MT, and I figure I should only speed so much...

Back on topic, thanks for releasing the game like this. both releasing it a day early (based on your timezone) and providing a 50% off coupon code has made this one of the best TTG releases yet... and I haven't even played the full game yet!
  • edited March 2009
    Ah! My e-mail hadn't arrived yet. This is very nice to know!

Okay. Now I'm not considering holding off on Telltale games anymore out of some ominous fear of the strange forces of price volatility. =p
  • edited March 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Actually, as a preorder customer, you'll be getting a 50% off coupon in the email that contains your download link. We wouldn't want to snub the early adopters, after all. ;)

Nice. Can we use the coupon on Strong Bad DVDs? I like to make my Australian pesos go further.

Also very impressed by the release timing on this, it's almost 6pm local time, I can play when I get home from work!
  • edited March 2009
    So does Peter Sallis play Wallace in the games as well? If not, I really can't tell any difference.
  • edited March 2009
    McGoiter wrote: »
    So does Peter Sallis play Wallace in the games as well? If not, I really can't tell any difference.
    It's not Sallis. It's his official back-up actor, though, so it's the next best thing.
  • edited March 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Woo it's finally started! We've just released the first episode of Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, "Fright of the Bumblebees."

Will it be possible to order and download a single episode or is it only going to be available as a full series? As far as I can see there's no way to pay for just the first episode at the moment?
  • edited March 2009
    EEK! Thank you for an early day release! I remember the first Strong Bad episode came out in the afternoon. I'll get a taste of the game now before I go to school.
  • edited March 2009
    I've just finished the episode (took me around 4 hours) and I liked it a LOT. As with all season starts the puzzles were a little on the easy side, but I assume you'll slowly dial the difficulty up with each episode. Oh, and I liked the fact that you controlled Gromit just as much as Wallace.

The new controls were easy to get used to, and the resulting presentation was fantastic. I think you've refined the clay shaders and textures since the demo, right? They looked way better here... photoreal in some situations. What I liked a lot as well was the use of depth-of-field (especially in the hallway), although I hope you use it much more in the further episodes, as most of the close-ups could look even better through the addition of the effect. Altogether a visually stunning game... the best looking Telltale game by far.

The music volume was far better than in the demo, but still I'd prefer a separate volume dial for the music in the further episodes. Performance was near perfect on my AMD X2 4200 at FullHD (1920x1200) resolution and highest graphics settings... and that's already a dated PC.

Altogether a great start for the series. Looking forward to the next episode :-)

(Oh, and I loooooooved the ending shot over which the credits rolled... the perspective, the composition... and if the episodes are seamless, I wonder how they get out of that pickle :D)
  • edited March 2009
    Pretty much what Laserschwert said, but boy 1920? I thought my 1680 resolution was high! It was amazing, and having gone on a W&G marathon recently, it was fantastic to see how perfectly you were able to replicate their world (though I never had any doubts)! Awesome start to the series guys, can't wait until May for the next one! :D
  • edited March 2009
    So I've played through the first act, visual quality is far better than I anticipated, even after seeing the demo. Also, the inital puzzles are great, definitely at home in the W&G world. Unfortunately the game is locking up at the end of the act so I haven't been able to play further but the part that's worked is quite good so far.
  • edited March 2009
    bpullen wrote: »
    Will it be possible to order and download a single episode or is it only going to be available as a full series? As far as I can see there's no way to pay for just the first episode at the moment?

Hmmm, looks like I have my answer. Little bit miffed by that to be honest but I doubt it will stand in the way of me ordering the season.
  • edited March 2009
    Been playing it a bit now and I'm impressed. They captured the feel of W&G very well, and the graphics are better than I've seen in any Telltale game so far.

Just had to take a break since my hand was getting tired.

One thing I noticed - you can click on hotspots and the character will automatically go there... so the game already has some sort of pathfinding in there... ah well, I won't go into this again :p
  • edited March 2009
    oh, what a nice surprise, it's been released early :D! I see some of you have already finished it and the impressions seem to be great, can't wait until this finishes downloading!
  • edited March 2009
    Gonna have to hold out for the 360 version on this one. The whole "buy it all at once" thing has caught my wallet off-guard, and the prettified engine will probably play even worse havoc on my low RAM than Sam & Max does.
  • edited March 2009
    It seems to require at least a decent PC to run well, at least if you want decent graphics. My laptop really struggles with it, have to use my desktop PC here.
  • edited March 2009
    Wow that's a great deal! My heart thanks you, but I'm pretty sure my wallet now hates you.
  • edited March 2009
    Congrats on the release! I'm looking forward to playing as soon as I get home from work! :D
  • edited March 2009
    I played for a couple of hours and I'm really liking it. Thumbs up! :D
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, so, I've been playing this for the last couple of hours, and just completed it. I've been a Telltale-fan for a couple of years now. I started a long time ago when they first released Sam & Max, waited for the disc-release because I wasn't convinced by this download-thing, but really joined the family somewhere during or after Season 2, I guess. I played every Telltale game, from Texas Hold Em to CSI, and I always had a great time. Therefore I think it means a lot when I say that this is, in my humble opinion, Telltale's best game to date. The presentation is top-notch, the new control-system completely won me over. Hell, I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing this in a future Sam & Max release, if that means they're going to get the same cinematic action.

I would just like to thank everyone on the team. Everything comes together so well, it's amazing. If you compare this to Out from Boneville (which was cool as well, but you know, had a bit of a tighter budget), it's amazing how far Telltale has come. I can't wait for the second episode. I was going to play just a bit of this today (I actually thought it would be released later today), as I had a lot of work to do, but I just couldn't stop playing. Speaking of which, I should probably get started on that.

My favorite moment had to be
    getting rid of all the bees with Gromit. Gromit walking on four legs has an incredibly hypnotic quality. And man, that Bee disco. Those guys can dance, man.

So, yeah. Awesome.
  • edited March 2009
    i love it!

waiting until may for more? sigh!
  • edited March 2009
    Well, just finished it. Cool game. I'm left with the feeling that mouse controls might be easy to put in games using this control system as pathfinding seems to be in there already.. just need to work out a way to go around that 'not seeing the floor in every scene' problem.. I'm sure it can be done, make everyone happy :)

Anyway, very nice game. Will you make those bee posters available as desktop wallpapers? :D
  • edited March 2009
    Very quick impressions as I need to get back to playing. I didn't play the demo, so absolutely everything is new to me (bar the screenshots, etc).
    • Graphics are superb. I've got them on the highest level, 9, and it looks stunning.
    • Although I'm sometimes still clicking to move, I'm warmed to the new control scheme. The word that seems to be tossed around is 'cinematic', and that's very much how it feels.
    • I'm getting used to the voice actor for Wallace. Although it isn't as good as having Peter Sallis himself, it's still a worthy choice.
    That's all for now. Back to the action!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    just need to work out a way to go around that 'not seeing the floor in every scene' problem.. I'm sure it can be done, make everyone happy :)

If it were that easy, we probably would have done it. ;) (But I'm glad to hear you liked the game even if the controls aren't your favorite!)
    Will you make those bee posters available as desktop wallpapers? :D

Good idea...
  • edited March 2009
    Just finished it, and have to say thoroughly enjoyed it - as a long time W&G fan, I think it's safe to say you guys have done the series proud. I really enjoyed it, and my initial worries in the demo of not getting used to the not quite Peter Sallis voice were unfounded. I suppose only bad point now is I don't want to wait for the rest! :p
  • edited March 2009
    I'd like to express my immense enjoyment of the game. It is, to me, Telltale's best product since the latest Sam & Max. Yup, didn't enjoy that much of strongbad (mostly for lack of challenge and storyline continuity, but that's a different topic). For W&G I, again, got so hooked to the storyline I needed to finnish this one in one sitting.

I found this very true to the original source. The graphics are great (I decided to run it at 7 on my system), and it actually had some puzzles that require thought, contrary of the demo being far too easy. Of course these are individual observations.

Still not too keen on the keyboard movement, it has many serious flaws especially when the camera is on the move. A gamepad would come in handy, but it still has those blind camera angles. True Point'n'click would work much better for me. I wish it was added as an optional feature.

The second thing I'm dissapointed about is not about gameplay but business. Why break a perfectly good model of releasing each episode for sale individually? Even if most people bought the season anyway, and true W&G fans knowing it's going to be worth every pence, it still wouldnt hurt giving the option of getting one and then upgrading, like with every other product you've had.

This series does have a whole lot of potential, be it in gameplay or the script. A few technicalities aside, it's off to a cracking start, which I'm sure almost every W&G fan will enjoy, and newbies to this will go and see the animations. Hooray!
  • edited March 2009
    I just finished the game a short time ago and since Wallace and Gromit are one of my favs... this episode is up there with the Wrong Trousers and Matter of Loaf and Death as one of the best, this felt like a proper short film of the highest quality.

Minor cons tho, The control scheme I haven't got use to but I will in time and it feels not right for Wallace's voice just a little... can you alter pitch so he sounds like Peter Sallis because I'm still ok with his back up, just need to get used to it.

All in all.... 9/10
  • edited March 2009
    a quick question.. are the episodes all linked together into one big story (like sam and max) or are they all standalone adventures

Oh and loving it so far... :)
  • edited March 2009
    Right, why can't I change the screen size on the graphics options. I've tried clicking on it and arrowing to it. I use a 1280*800 computer and I refuse to play a game where everything is too wide.
  • edited March 2009
    That's great and all, but what about all of us 360 owners? When is it coming to Arcade?
  • edited March 2009
    Here's how I run it (warning, BIG screenshot) -

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w252/SonnyB73/wg-1.jpg
  • edited March 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Here's how I run it (warning, BIG screenshot) -

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w252/SonnyB73/wg-1.jpg

BIGGER :p
  • edited March 2009
    I've downloaded the game earlier today and finished it off already. If I had one complaint to make is that this game is quite short. I would have liked to spend a few more hours solving puzzles with those two.

I was annoyed at first at the controls but they weren't that much of a pain. I'm guessing that the game being released for the 360 has something to do with that.

There was one annoyance however. The cursor isn't locked in the game and I sometime clicked outside of it on my second monitor wich minimized the game. It was mostly a problem with the bee shooting where I was minimizing the game every 15 seconds. If that could be taken care of for future releases it would be fantastic.
  • edited March 2009
    Just cleared the episode. Really enjoyed it and I'm very impressed as well. You guys did a spot-on translation of the W&G universe, while still keeping your very distinctive touch.

I decided to play it on my HDTV with my 360 gamepad. Graphics and animation were absolutely stunning for a game this small and this low on hardware requirements thanks to a pretty much flawless art direction.

Only thing that bothered me at times is a few minor problems related to the control with the gamepad. Sometimes, selecting the right item to interact with can be a bit of a struggle, even with all the different ways available (stick, pad or buttons). It's not that bad, but I would also have appreciated if the item you just interacted with kept being selected after doing so (wasn't always the case apparently) to reduce the effects of this slight inconvenience. I hope you'll find a way to tune this whole thing a bit before the game hits Xbox Live Arcade, so casual users won't get instantly turned down by this when trying out the demo. Personally, I didn't care that much, especially since the inventory system is very well done.

One last thing about gamepad controls. Since I'm playing far away from my PC (the TV is not even in sight and the wireless mouse is out of range), I was quite pleased to see that you could use the gamepad to navigate through all the menus. Well... all except for the saving system. I couldn't seem to be able to select anything in there and it would definitely be great if it's tweaked out for next episodes.

That's all. Everything else was pure enjoyment. Once again, well done Telltale :)
  • edited March 2009
    are you cats testing this like SB and SM?

its an awesome process all should do it..
  • edited March 2009
    Foudn the game great except for a possible bug.

WARNING SPOILER BELOW!

Whilst in Wallaces basement with th major present (suitcase open), i handed gromit his dog tags, which he promptly threw away. Unfortunatly they landed underneath a control panel which cannot be seen (Since its hidden behind the suitcase). After ages of agony i found an odd spot in the bottom left corner where you could see the dog tags and click on them, sending wallace after em.

Did anybody else have this problem?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.