Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    As kinda of a recommendation....I feel naughty giving counsel to a game company..

You should definitely release an official statement about the languages the game will be available in.... because it seems that a lot of people is waiting for some info about that before preordering...

I'm use to play all my games (and all my media) in English, so is not an issue for me... but promising that it at least will have some kind of international subtitles would work like a charm I think xD.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We've traditionally localized our games into other languages by the time they end up in a box at retail. I don't know what our plans for Monkey are, but localized releases down the road wouldn't surprise me.

You mean fully localized? or text only?

I didn't see any of your other localizations so I don't know if you are dubbing the games in other languages or only translating them.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I'll try to get some clarity on that to appear on the site. As far as I know for Tales of Monkey Island, initial release will be available worldwide, but will be English only. Not sure though.

In the past we have done full dubbed voice for many languages, and subtitles for more. It generally depends on the game and the situation, but some languages get dubs and some don't.
  • edited June 2009
    Everyone's said it, but I must add it as well: thank you. A hundred times thank you.

Now then. Here is my big uber question. Will there be the classic Island Overmap that was such a wonderful, integral piece of the monkey island series? Though I love the new world of adventure games now, there seemed something missing. Rather than seeing beautifully crafted maps where you choose your destination, it was replaced with, "where to, little buddy?" The old Adventurer in me wants my bird's-eye view.
  • edited June 2009
    Wait, why is Lechuck in Zombie form again? He was a statue at the end of "ARGH! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING Island", wait I mean "Escape from Monkey Island". Same thing.
    But surely he would be back to being a demon, as you destroy his zombie form at the start of Curse?

Does Largo resurrect him again?
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, he could change at will between his three forms in EMI for no discernible reason. Personally I'm more inclined to believe TT choose the zombie form by preference, but maybe they can set us straight :)
    edited June 2009
    The team went with what we thought was the most classic/iconic LeChuck look, but there might be more to it than that...
  • edited June 2009
    Cez wrote: »
    I played through the whole game last week for paperwork I needed to do. The game is working, feeling and looking phenomenal. Still polishing off the edges, but the team is working very hard to bring you a true follow up to the classics.

I'm one of you guys in the sense that I grew up with the series, and love it to no end. I stayed away from the game as much as I could since I wanted to have the opportunity to actually play it. And now I can say that it is a fantastic Monkey Island experience! I want MORE!

I still can't wipe the dork smile off my face. Monkey Island is back!

That's exactly what I want to hear :) Awesome :D
  • edited June 2009
    I hope Max makes a special appearance in Tales

Any chance you guys can post early development screenshots? Perhaps of your dev tools?
  • edited June 2009
    As far as I know for Tales of Monkey Island, initial release will be available worldwide, but will be English only. Not sure though.
    Oh, what a disappointment... I can play in english but my brother not... You will break his heart, after playing Wallace & Gromit with spanish subtitles... :(
  • edited June 2009
    Will the style of the music be in the traditional Money Island theme or will there be different types of themes in addition to the standard?
  • edited June 2009
    I think the whole reason for getting Michael Land to do the music is to have the traditional themes :)
    ...next to new music of course
  • edited June 2009
    Ok serious question time.

Did you approach Lucas arts to make the game or did they approach you?
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Dan or Dave will have to answer that one -- but I remember the day Mr. Grossman sat me down and asked me how I felt about working on Monkey Island. GAHHHHHHHHHHH I think I just reacted like all of you have. YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.
  • edited June 2009
    Totally random question: Will we be seeing a bit of crossover action in the bonus features? (Such as
    Homestar appearing in one Alternative Ending to S&M Season 2
    , or Bone appearing in Season 1's outtakes reel)?

It's a silly thought but it would be funny to see. :P
  • edited June 2009
    My question:

In average, how many times did your developer replay through SMI, MI2, CMI, and EMI respectively in order to brush up on his/her monkey island lore and "get in the vibe" of things again? I imagine this process must have been crucial for not only continuity concerns but also for ease of creating various in-jokes.
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

I honestly thought Monkey Kombat was one of the highlights of the game. I'm not being sarcastic either. :P

In my book, MI2 > SMI >> EMI > CMI. A personal opinion of course.
  • edited June 2009
    Without giving away any spoilers, I have a question for you guys on the tone of the game.

Will it have any serious moments such as the confrontation between Guybrush and Lechuck in Monkey Island 2's sewers. That's one of the most jumpy suspenseful adventure game moments ever, and I would hate to see Lechuck reduced to a mere comic villain. Not to mention the removal of the gross humor from MI2 as well kind of stank.

A yes or no answer will be fine.
  • edited June 2009
    jihanj wrote: »
    I honestly thought Monkey Kombat was one of the highlights of the game. I'm not being sarcastic either. :P

Wow. Odd. I completely agree except that I'd put CMI on top.
  • edited June 2009

Yeah I thought Monkey Kombat was a satisfying enough puzzle. I would rate CMI slightly above EMI because CMI oozes with atmosphere and pleasing art, even though it didn't have as many laugh-out-loud moments as EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    Another person already asked but I haven't seen a answer to this.. Will we be seeing "Murray the talking skull" again? He's the second best voice in the game asides to guybrush.

"I will stride into hell carrying your head on a pike!" "Umm Stride?"

"Okay Roll I'll roll into hell with your head on a pike!"
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

You had something to do with it? Off with your head!
  • edited June 2009
    Murray the talking skull was glorious!
    Hey guys, send the secret of monkey island SE with the DVD of Tales!
  • edited June 2009
    hey, will Many Cavalera appear in the game, like trying to sell "the trip" to LeChuck?
  • edited June 2009
    tektikkir wrote: »
    Murray the talking skull was glorious!
    Hey guys, send the secret of monkey island SE with the DVD of Tales!

the special edition of the first monkey island is owned by LucasArts, TellTales can't send it with the DVD sadly. Though it would be awesome if we got it too.

Also, why is this game only coming to PC and Wii and not the 360 and PS3 as well? They both got the penny arcade game I think.
  • edited June 2009
    why does everyone abbreviate Escape from Monkey Island as "EMI," when the much funnier "EFMI" is available?

One reason for this could be the THX parody at the start of Curse of Monkey Island. If that game is CMI, then EMI is the most appropriate abbreviation. Next question...
    oh wait, who am I again? :confused:
    edited June 2009
    Jayel wrote: »
    Any chance you guys can post early development screenshots? Perhaps of your dev tools?

NOOOOOO
    fire2box wrote: »
    Another person already asked but I haven't seen a answer to this.. Will we be seeing "Murray the talking skull" again? He's the second best voice in the game asides to guybrush.

Do you really want to know which characters will be coming back or do you want to be surprised? Also, I dare you to guess!
    In average, how many times did your developer replay through SMI, MI2, CMI, and EMI respectively in order to brush up on his/her monkey island lore and "get in the vibe" of things again? I imagine this process must have been crucial for not only continuity concerns but also for ease of creating various in-jokes.

I think most of the designers have poked through most of the games as a refresher course. Maybe not all four games from start to finish, but I've seen ScummVM on many-a screen. Also, fortunately, we live in the era of YouTube and people have posted entire playthroughs of the whole series from start to finish. It's an amazing reference. Need to see that part on Blood Island when you wake up in the crypt? Bam! I think that in addition to playing them, Mark watched and re-watched the majority of the series via YouTube playlists more times than I think I could handle, before putting pen to paper on the design.
  • edited June 2009
    Do you really want to know which characters will be coming back or do you want to be surprised?

Oh, we definitely want to be surprised. But some folks still feel the need to ask, even though they'd be terribly disappointed if you actually told us.
  • edited June 2009

That's wonderful
    :)
  • edited June 2009
    :-)
  • edited June 2009
    Do you really want to know which characters will be coming back or do you want to be surprised? Also, I dare you to guess!

Also, fortunately, we live in the era of YouTube and people have posted entire playthroughs of the whole series from start to finish. It's an amazing reference. Need to see that part on Blood Island when you wake up in the crypt? Bam! I think that in addition to playing them, Mark watched and re-watched the majority of the series via YouTube playlists more times than I think I could handle, before putting pen to paper on the design.

1. Yes I am sure most people would like to know who's coming back. All people have been asking for is confirmation of some of our favorite people and skull's of just being in the game. I don't see how past minor characters with little or nothing to do with the plot will be that major of a spoiler. (Fine just don't tell Jota over there. Really, I feel bad for pre-ordering thinking I would get some real answers rather then run around. I could understand dodging mine and other's questions if we were asking about the ending and what not. I guess I will just have to ask useless and random question's then.)

Anyways I will take a guess that both Murray and Stan are going to be in at least one of the episodes. But hopefully at least 2-3 of them.

2. Wouldn't LucasArt's want to take such full length playthroughs down? I mean if I recorded all 5 episodes of this game your making and posted it on youtube, wouldn't you want it to be taken down? (Really I don't need a PS3 anymore since I watched video of someone playing MGS4. Thus sony and konami are out of hardware and software sales. Not that I was going to be willing to pay 600 bucks just to play MGS4)

Now as for a useless and random question. Which would you prefer Rum or Grog?
  • edited June 2009
    Whatever happened to Stan?
    I really dont remember if he was in part IV
  • edited June 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Stan?
    I really dont remember if he was in part IV

I think he was but then again I haven't played it in SOOO long. I'll see if I can find out.

"He resurfaces once again in Escape from Monkey Island: the enterprising Stan has moved on to a condominium timeshare scheme on Jambalaya Island. His only action in the game to give Guybrush a three hour long sales-pitch, so that Guybrush can receive a voucher for a meal at Planet Threepwood."

Oh Stan and your very, very, very, very, very long sales pitches.
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Man, a lot of questions.. not many that really pertain to me. But, in terms of developing the characters, we had to communicate with Lucasarts a lot. They give really good feedback and helped determine the look of the license characters a lot. For the most part, i dig caricature and STYLIZATION, so i pushed for a lot of that. I effing loved the backgrounds of MI3 and really wish we could have gotten some of that crazy multi level gigantic scale into the game.. would have been easy in a 2d game, but in a fully 3d game with a limited budget, they'll still be cool, just not grandois or whatever that word is. Either way, i've never had so much fun drawing!
  • edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    Man, a lot of questions.. not many that really pertain to me. But, in terms of developing the characters, we had to communicate with Lucasarts a lot. They give really good feedback and helped determine the look of the license characters a lot. For the most part, i dig caricature and STYLIZATION, so i pushed for a lot of that. I effing loved the backgrounds of MI3 and really wish we could have gotten some of that crazy multi level gigantic scale into the game.. would have been easy in a 2d game, but in a fully 3d game with a limited budget, they'll still be cool, just not grandois or whatever that word is. Either way, i've never had so much fun drawing!

Well, Which was your favorite (character) to draw... Also, which felt the most natural on the first build?

I'll give you some questions Ry.... the art is the most fantastic part about MI IMO.

Also, Guybrush's goatee, did it feel RIGHT the first time you saw it... cuz it sure had to grow on me... ( took a whole wopping hour or so before I was like eh.... it's Mother "Effin" Guybrush. Seriously I was so excited.
  • edited June 2009
    Okay, now that I've had time to return to Earth a little bit, I've got a real question. What's the story going to be like? Is there going to be more of an overarching narrative, with a beginning, middle and end, or is it going to be more like random and exciting adventures as they complete their search for the fabled macguffin, where the final resolution just resets the world back to zero. I'm fine with either, really. Fine with either, but honestly I want the gripping adventure yarn with a story arc. So which shall it be, ye Telltale Captains of Gamery? Will ye be revealing the narrative style, or shall I be left waiting 'til the 7th of July to find out? Arr ... ptui *splonch*. It be hard to get the tobaccy juice in the spitoon when ye wear an eye patch. No depth perception.
  • edited June 2009
    Haha yep, and it's an adventure game, in realtime 3D. World navigation can be tweaked for longer than you think.

That's good to hear. Maybe all the keyboard hate around the forums and interwebs will influence a change in the right (mouse only) direction.

Honestly, I never heard anyone complain about Sam and Max not having enough cinematic camera angles. There was mostly talk about there not being enough complexity in the one click does all controls and the "find three things" puzzles. As a mere gamer, the answer to me seems to be adding inventory combination, more sophisticated puzzle design, and possibly a coin like the one from CMI to allow for multiple kinds of interaction. Seeing the game world from all different angles doesn't interest me as much as easily navigating to the next puzzle or funny dialogue exchange. I know, I know, I'm a stupid gripey old player that doesn't like new fangled things. I've already given you my money, so you know I'm going to play MI anyway, even if you force me to do so with a flight stick and a power glove.
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Laokin wrote: »
    Well, Which was your favorite (character) to draw... Also, which felt the most natural on the first build?

I'll give you some questions Ry.... the art is the most fantastic part about MI IMO.

Also, Guybrush's goatee, did it feel RIGHT the first time you saw it... cuz it sure had to grow on me... ( took a whole wopping hour or so before I was like eh.... it's Mother "Effin" Guybrush. Seriously I was so excited.

My favorite character to draw was LECHUCK! He went through some revisions and maybe i can show those. But, whats cooler to draw than an all powerful voodoo infested pirate? Guybrush is fun to draw also, but he's not so much over the top.

I think all the license characters felt the most natural when drawing them, cause you kind of have an idea of how they will look.. but then again, they are the ones everyone is going to react to the most. More pressure. But, its the original characters that people really don't know what they need to look like.. so there is a lot more freedom in that realm.

Ah, the goatee. Well, we tossed around the ideas a bit, both internally and with LEC. We figured, since this is actually after MI5, he has to be older.. and if we made him full bearded.. just creepy. So, he has some piratey feel. We really wanted Guybrush's shape to compliment Elaine and vice versa. Guybrush is more edgy and Elaine is rounded in the face.
  • edited June 2009
    Jayel wrote: »
    Yeah I thought Monkey Kombat was a satisfying enough puzzle. I would rate CMI slightly above EMI because CMI oozes with atmosphere and pleasing art, even though it didn't have as many laugh-out-loud moments as EMI.

I don't want to be seen as dissing on CMI, though. I, like you, LOVED the art direction for CMI and think that EMI (and TMI maybe) would've benefitted a lot from CMI's high-res hand-drawn 2D animation. That said, despite my preconceptions of 3D graphics and clunky keyboard user interface, EMI turned out to be a surprisingly solid effort IMHO. The only thing I didn't like about it was the whole Marley-Toothrot retcon hoopla, which felt too forced and contrived.

Probably the only reason I rated EMI above CMI is because I could never forgive the developers of CMI for marrying Guybrush and Elaine at the end. (That and the horrendous voice casting choice for Stan.) I mean I know they are meant for each other and everything, but you can't resolve such a huge story arc in such a shoddy manner. The constant tug of war between Guybrush and Elaine could have provided such a wealth of opportunities for good storytelling (as it did in SMI and MI2). I couldn't believe that they had just married the couple in such a "happily ever after" fashion at the end of CMI like that. That would be like marrying Jim and Pam at the end of season 1 of The Office. Too soon!
  • edited June 2009
    jsimantov wrote: »
    OMG... I think if they made an episodic Day of the Tentacle followup, I'd ... hmm, I don't know what I'd do exactly.

*cough* I'd pay another $40 on the spot to pre-order this *cough*

It's like my wildest dreams are coming true. Years and years ago I was just a kid and fell in love with CMI -- today my Amex magically hopped out of my wallet literally seconds after seeing the preorder announcement. Keep up the good work fellas and give me more reasons to send you money! =)

PS: Will the game be compatible with Windows7 x64?
This discussion has been closed.