What did Clem learn from Kenny as a guardian?

Clem in season 1 is in the guardianship of Lee. Lee teaches Clem how to shoot a gun, always to keep her hair short, and to stay away from cities

In early season 2 Christa takes guardianship of Clem for 16 months, during the time, she teaches Clem to apparently stitch her arm and how to be a better badass somehow...

But when Kenny is the guardian, Hee.... is just crazy. Do you guys think that if you keep Kenny alive that Kenny in the opening scene of season 3 will be teaching Clem how to repair cars, Or a cooler opening scene where its still in the intro credits and you hear a what seem to be someone just got slapped, the scene opens and its Kenny teaching Clem how to fight dirty or fishing, something useful?

Comments

• The only thing you can learn from Kenny is that you must tame your temper to get along with people.

• She'll be an expert on boats by the time Season 3 comes along.

What she learned already is.....................................Kenny hasn't taught her anything. Clem didn't learn anything this season actually. No one taught her a lesson. You could argue that Jane taught her something, but Clem was kicking walkers in the knee long before she came along.

• Being a prick.

• How to find boats.

• You mean sunken boats?

How to find boats.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Without Kenny's utmost expertise she would have never found that boat in the shed

Without Kenny's help, she might have mistaken it for a car or a forklift or something

You mean sunken boats?

• edited May 2015

This is probably the biggest thing about season 2 that I disliked. Clementine spent more time with Christa than ANYONE in the entire series and yet she gets mentioned all of like 2 or 3 times during season 2...and at the end they make it seem like Kenny had some huge impression on who Clementine is going to be....honestly, I only chose Kenny b/c it was one or the other and I didn't feel as tho Kenny deserved death in that moment (I didn't think Jane deserved it either, but that's the consequence of inaction)...

It makes sense that Jane would have an impact on Clem as at the pre-teen/teenage years, friendships with our peers mold our personalities the most...and siding with Jane is symbolic of Clementine leaving her past behind and forging her own destiny...

at the end if you walk off into the sunset with Kenny and he tells Clem, "You're as stubborn as a damn mule.." and and Clem responds, "I wonder who(or where) I got that from.." -- I said to myself, Christa...you got you're personality from Christa and Omid---your surrogate parents for the vast majority of your post apocalyptic experience

If anything, my Clementine is like Christa with Lee and a bit of Kenny and Jane thrown in there...

• Nothing. She de-learned things because of Kenny.

Like how in No Going Back, she became a really boring character thanks to her obsessive following of Kenny throughout season 2.

• edited May 2015

I don't think she learned something from kenny. But she might learn something from Kenny when S3 comes out.

• I'm afraid he won't make it to Episode 2.

Killah posted: »

I don't think she learned something from kenny. But she might learn something from Kenny when S3 comes out.

• I was going to say something about boats, but it's already been said.

I'd like to think Clementine (at least my Clementine) has learned from Kenny the importance of family. Throughout both games, hate him or love him, one thing Kenny has proven to always care about is his family or the people he considers family, and his willingness to do anything to protect them. We see this when he takes the blame for the radio and begs the people of Wellington to let Clem and AJ in, he will do anything to protect them because he considers them family. In my game, he even said to Lee, "You and Clem are the closest thing I have to a family left." Now since Clem is the playable character, what she "learns" is up to the player, and I like to play her as someone who looks out for the people close to her, like Kenny does.

• CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge Banned
    edited May 2015

How to always think you are right, and fight with everyone over everything? I'm glad he is dead.

• Clem didn't nessacarily learn from him he was someone she was close to not a teacher. You could argue Clem got her attitude of never giving up or always go forward not back from Kenny, I think I'd agree with that assessment.

• edited May 2015

at the end if you walk off into the sunset with Kenny and he tells Clem, "You're as stubborn as a damn mule.." and and Clem responds, "I wonder who(or where) I got that from.." -- I said to myself, Christa...you got you're personality from Christa and Omid---your surrogate parents for the vast majority of your post apocalyptic experience

This is absolutely true and it baffles me why more people don't pick apart these particular lines. Obviously Clem probably got most of her stubbornness from Christa. For goodness' sake, in Kenny's season 2 death scene after you shoot him, Kenny admits he's wrong and Clem did the "right thing" to shoot him and he shouldn't have lost his cool and tried to kill Jane and been so stubborn. But if you let Kenny live, afterwards he says Jane was in the wrong the whole time, and so he had been right. So according to him, he was wrong to be stubborn in one situation where he ends up dying, and he was right to be stubborn in the same situation where he ends up living. You know what? Fuck you very much, Kenny. A healthy-dose of Christa-sized stubbornness is fine, but not in the toxically exorbitant amounts that you exude. I'm glad Clem doesn't have to be forced to be around his bullshit nor does she have to be forced to grow up anymore around Kenny's goddamned childishness. He even admits himself when they're outside Wellington that he doesn't trust himself to raise her and AJ for god's sake. In the ending where you choose to go with Kenny, the man would essentially be a child raising children himself and frankly that will not end well.

Kenny is a TERRIBLE guardian. He frickin' said so himself.

Aerie88 posted: »

This is probably the biggest thing about season 2 that I disliked. Clementine spent more time with Christa than ANYONE in the entire series

• She learned to control her emotions and listen to people. She learned that you can't always stick to the same plan when things change. She learned that you can't let you're past take over who you are. Basically, she learned from all of Kenny's flaws.

• edited May 2015

LOL. She learned that beating on kids (yeah, I'm not a fan or Arvo, but taking out rage on him is not so great,) revenge-killing, barking out orders to get your way, and picking fights with people is an acceptable way of going about things. :'D

Nothing. She de-learned things because of Kenny. Like how in No Going Back, she became a really boring character thanks to her obsessive following of Kenny throughout season 2.

• How to not be Kenny.

• She learned that beards are the shit.

• I fricken know, but yet again, Kenny in season was only alive for about 3 weeks. So, You can't really blame him too much for the lack of teaching, considering that Lee had Clem for a year and Christa had her for about two.

But still, Kenny is just the worst guardian.

sialark posted: »

at the end if you walk off into the sunset with Kenny and he tells Clem, "You're as stubborn as a damn mule.." and and Clem responds, "I won

• Yep, that makes the most sense. He certainly wouldn't even make it to episode 1 for some of us, so I find it very unlikely that he or even Jane will be around much during season 3. We'll all be taken down the same season 3 path after the initial start, I'd think.

I'm afraid he won't make it to Episode 2.

• Truth, sir! I'm growing my manliness back as we speak.

She learned that beards are the shit.

• edited May 2015

I fricken know, but yet again, Kenny in season was only alive for about 3 weeks. So, You can't really blame him too much for the lack of teaching

Lol yes I can blame him. Luke was with Clem for about 3 weeks too, and he didn't exclusively sit down and "teach" anything to Clem either, but he led by example. Pete was with Clem for even less time, and I think he was even better than Luke in the short but meaningful conversations he had with her. Kids will still pick up things from their caretakers even if said caretakers aren't actively "teaching," like how to treat your fellows, working in a group, etc.

But still, Kenny is just the worst guardian.

Yup.

To answer your original questions though, sure, he could try to teach Clem some things. Learning how to start a car is honestly a very useful skill in this world, and so is fishing from scratch. Though Clem actually did resort to "dirty fighting" at the beginning of Season 2 ep 1 when she was fighting off the Jesus-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-Winston dude and biting his fingers and pushing him into a walker, so :shrugs: Maybe Christa already taught her to defend herself in that way.

I fricken know, but yet again, Kenny in season was only alive for about 3 weeks. So, You can't really blame him too much for the lack of te

• I thought of that too, Kenny taught her to not to give up and always keep on moving straight.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Clem didn't nessacarily learn from him he was someone she was close to not a teacher. You could argue Clem got her attitude of never giving up or always go forward not back from Kenny, I think I'd agree with that assessment.

• Kenny wasn't Clementine's guardian. No one was.

Christa and Lee are Clementine's only guardians. And she learned lots from Lee and we know Christa taught her how to stich her arm.

Kenny on the other hand didn't teach Clementine anything. Well, I say that but I guess he can teach her how to unnecessarily bash someone's head in. Sooo I guess that's something and he did teach her how to be an asshole and how to get attached to a plot baby so he did teach her some things.

But he is not her guardian. After Christa was gone Clementine didn't have another guardian.

• edited May 2015

How to get lucky...... Real lucky.....

Alt text

• I'd say he was more more of a protector than a teacher however I will say from her time around him Clementine saw and experienced first hand how much loss and hardships drain and wear on a person's well being and mental health

• I think Luke and Jane taught that as well ;)

How to get lucky...... Real lucky.....

• She learned that everyone will die(apart from Clem).

• Clementine learned that Clementine IS the guardian.

• Nothing, because Kenny wasn't her guardian. Plain and simple as that, just a familiar fellow survivor.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

What did Clem learn from Kenny as a guardian?

Don't remember him ever being a guardian of any sort. Anyway I learned not to be even remotely like him. Of course, I already knew that.

• edited May 2015

Kenny 100% wasn't her guardian as Lee and Christa were.

He was a group member and determinantly a friend.

If anything the season's about Clem showing Kenny and Jane how to be better than they are, rather than the other way round.

• What, because Kenny never deviates from the straight moral path?

Killah posted: »

I thought of that too, Kenny taught her to not to give up and always keep on moving straight.

• He's talking about moving on in life, not being morally straight.

Flog61 posted: »

What, because Kenny never deviates from the straight moral path?

• edited May 2015

If anything the season's about Clem showing Kenny and Jane how to be better than they are, rather than the other way round.

Eh, Kenny was too stubborn to be shown anything. Unlike swaying Jane to try to save Sarah and then having her return just for Clementine's wellbeing, if you try to sway Kenny in any context you're given a sympathetic little speech and nothing is ever taken further through him again.

If anything, the opposite is true for Kenny. You try to show him right, he goes left.

Flog61 posted: »

Kenny 100% wasn't her guardian as Lee and Christa were. He was a group member and determinantly a friend. If anything the season's about Clem showing Kenny and Jane how to be better than they are, rather than the other way round.

• He showed Clem that protecting your loved ones should be your first priority, and being with family is better than safety. (Kenny Haters incoming)

• being with family is better than safety

This makes zero sense. You don't need Kenny haters; you've shot yourself in your own foot with your argument. Your family should keep you safe. But Kenny can't do that; you've just admitted that above.

AGentlman posted: »

He showed Clem that protecting your loved ones should be your first priority, and being with family is better than safety. (Kenny Haters incoming)

• edited May 2015

The Wellington ending, if you go with Kenny, that pretty much shows you valued your friendship with Kenny more than being safe. You're not always safe with family, I mean, look at half the characters whose family got killed. Kenny taught you should try your best to keep them safe. But I see your point.

sialark posted: »

being with family is better than safety This makes zero sense. You don't need Kenny haters; you've shot yourself in your own foot with your argument. Your family should keep you safe. But Kenny can't do that; you've just admitted that above.

• She learned that blatantly pandering to fans by bringing back a character who was clearly dead (and had a complete character arc to boot) with no real explanation, and allowing him to completely consume the narrative of the entire game, overshadowing even the main character, is detrimental to everyone involved.

I mean um, she learned nothing. Absolutely nothing.

• Going with Kenny means you'd rather be suicidal than pragmatic, because babies don't need as much shelter and warmth and medicine and guardians and food as they can get.

AGentlman posted: »

The Wellington ending, if you go with Kenny, that pretty much shows you valued your friendship with Kenny more than being safe. You're not a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.