Stannis is still the Mannis

Comments

• Now you know. And yes, Stannis is the one true king. I find his actions despicable and yet necessary.

Well, not all Targaryens do. If they just didn't intermarry within the family so much, they'd be much better off in general. They had good rulers and many decades of peace inbetween great wars. Counting the Robert's Rebellion, there's been 3 large conflicts in Westeros during and since their deposition.

• Pretty sure it's going to be Stannis' decision in the books too based on D&D's comments. Sure it'll come as more as a shock with book Stannis. Ive always been team Mannis but hes a kinslayer and a craven, the gods must show him no mercy!

Tinni posted: »

I'll always be horrified by what happened to Shireen, but I'm still on Stannis the Mannis' side. He's the best pick for the Iron Throne comp

• edited June 2015

I only hope that it isn't his decision in the books because I'd like to think he isn't as far under Melisandre's influence as it appears. I understand that she's been an asset at several points, but I agree with Davos, it's as though she's brainwashed him. She's manipulative and insidious imo. Sure, she's helping Stannis now, but I have a bad feeling she's going to screw him over if he isn't careful.

This is GOT/ASOIAF, pretty much everyone has done something deplorable. This is a fictional world where the moral ground is incredibly grey, so it's hard to judge everyone equally. You could count the number of characters who have never done anything wrong on one hand tbh. Because of that, we have to start looking at the motives behind those actions, and looking at Stannis' motives when he sacrificed Shireen, as horrible and unforgivable as that sacrifice was, he has the greater good of Westeros in mind. Sacrifice one life to save thousands, these are the kind of difficult decisions a King has to be able to make without allowing personal feelings to get in the way. Stannis was able to do this, and that's why he's still the best choice for the Iron Throne imo.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

Pretty sure it's going to be Stannis' decision in the books too based on D&D's comments. Sure it'll come as more as a shock with book Stannis. Ive always been team Mannis but hes a kinslayer and a craven, the gods must show him no mercy!

• That's reasonable enough, I suppose.

• edited June 2015

I doubt that Stannis from the books (I like him, by the way) will be the one who burns his daughter, so I can speak for TV show version for now:

Shireen is not just his only child and blood, she was an heir for his Kingdom. What kind of "duty" we're talking about if with AA or the true king's (whatever) death it will be nothing left but chaos and darkness. Who will rule the realm? Renly was an usurper and also expressed the desire to kill his older brother. But Shireen? His duty if not as a father but as king was to protect her as the future of the Kingdom. She's an important part of his claim to the throne, cause she was the only legitimate Baratheon child left. Note, that I'm not even mentioning she was a sweet child who didn't deserved that horrific and painful death. I hope this freak (i think it's obvious he's not even the Chosen One, for god's sake...) will be flayed by the Boltons in the most painful way possible. The least he deserves.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2015

He's a stupid person, mislead by Melisandre into thinking he is Azor Ahai. He burned his own daughter to fit into a prophecy he doesn't belong into. Also he's stupid to think he's going to win that war imo.

With that said, I think he is a just king and a good one, but his stupidity and persistence will kill him, he thinks he's a prophesied hero while that is Jon Snow/Dany/both - they fit all of the prophecies better than he ever did, that is also why Melisandre tried to seduce Jon a couple episodes earlier - notice how she only seduces people with Targaryen blood (as prophecised about Azor Ahai) - Gendry (who has some through his father Robert - who is a descendant of Rhaelle Targaryen), Jon (Rhaegar) and Stannis (he has some Targaryen blood through Rhaelle Targaryen).

• Stannis is a horrible man who burned his daughter alive just to be the king. Is he going to be the best king Westeros has ever seen? Not by far, he would burn anyone who doesn't adhere to Melisandre's religion, just like he did to his brother-in-law. There would be many people who wouldn't support him, and with Davos probably leaving his side, his only advisor Melisandre would probably tell him to burn alive anyone who doesn't support him too.

Daenerys is the best choice for the queen. She is fair, would try to make the differences between the rich and the poor smaller and with her dragons, she's the only hope for the fight against the White Walkers, plus, with advisors like Tyrion, Jorah and Varys, she would do a marvelous job in ruling Westeros. Stannis could be killed by Brienne for all I care about.

Alt text
    Alt text
    Alt text

• He doesn't give a fuck about the lives of the people around him I don't think.. He sacrificed Shireen on the promise of Melisandre that he would gain the throne by doing so. Which in itself is a very selfish decision to take as everyone really ought to love their children. As for the Boltons? fuck em! He would not be a good king but he is better than the current alternatives.

Green613 posted: »

I don't think he's the one true king but I definitely he's the best option out of all the others right now. And I don't get why so many of t

• Why do people want a guy who burns people alive ruling anything??

If you want actual counter-Walker measures, Dany's the one packing the dragons. She's the one who's gonna actually solve the problem, not Stannis Bore-atheon.

• Have we already forgotten when just last season Stannis single handily saved the Seven Kingdoms from the massive wildling army

Where would you be without Stannis huh? I'll say it again:

Stannis Baratheon is the one true King of the Seven Kingdoms

Alt text

• Dany likes to"break the wheels" everywhere she goes = bring chaos. I'll never be Team Mad Queen. If the end game really is Dany vs Night's King then NK is my choice.

ranger563 posted: »

Why do people want a guy who burns people alive ruling anything?? If you want actual counter-Walker measures, Dany's the one packing the dragons. She's the one who's gonna actually solve the problem, not Stannis Bore-atheon.

• YOU AGAIN! >8¬(

I get why people don't like Dany cos she's very naive and sometimes, needlessly violent. That said, she's got councilors like Tyrion and Jorah by her side. The only real problem is that she can't have any heirs, but Stannis doesn't seem to be able for that either. Also there is that whole thing where a Targaryen-blooded heir doesn't necessarily need to come from her.

Dany likes to"break the wheels" everywhere she goes = bring chaos. I'll never be Team Mad Queen. If the end game really is Dany vs Night's King then NK is my choice.

• Why do people want a guy who burns people alive ruling anything??

He's trying to fulfill a prophecy of Azor Ahai, and fails miserably.

ranger563 posted: »

Why do people want a guy who burns people alive ruling anything?? If you want actual counter-Walker measures, Dany's the one packing the dragons. She's the one who's gonna actually solve the problem, not Stannis Bore-atheon.

• He saved the Nights Watch, not the entire Seven Kingdoms. Im beginning to wonder if this is not the beginning of the end for this kind of rulership in the seven kingdoms. Who sits on the iron throne is becomming less and less important when you have the White Walkers coming to take everyone out. Things are goong to change and i think its about time they do.

Have we already forgotten when just last season Stannis single handily saved the Seven Kingdoms from the massive wildling army Where woul

• Correction

Tywin Lannister saved the 7 kingdoms against the most evil bastard in Westeros history, Aeries Targareyan. Had Tywin not had his men attack Robert's Rebellion would have failed

Have we already forgotten when just last season Stannis single handily saved the Seven Kingdoms from the massive wildling army Where woul

• And who will be the leader of the united seven kingdoms army vs the White Walkers?

Stannis knows that there are White Walkers - he knows that Westeros is in grave danger.

Stannis knows that he is the only king who cares. No one else answered the call of the Night Watch.

It is all his burden.

Stannis knows that magic of The Red God really works.

Stannis knew that without divine intervention he is going to lose. He knew that there must be someone to stop White Walkers.

And so he sacrificed what was dearest to him. He did it to save all of his Kingdom.

Just like Azor Ahai he killed his princess to save everyone from the darkness.

All hail King Stannis!

Alt text

KCohere posted: »

He saved the Nights Watch, not the entire Seven Kingdoms. Im beginning to wonder if this is not the beginning of the end for this kind of ru

• edited June 2015

Jon will carry this fight. It's not on Stannis to defeat the White Walkers. I think even the witch knows that. Its only a matter of time before she drops Stannis and tries to hitch her wagon to Jons, then everything Stannis has sacrificed will be for nothing. I feel sure that Stannis is not going to sit the Iron Throne now or ever. The show wont reward one of the "good guys" for committing such a horrific act.

And who will be the leader of the united seven kingdoms army vs the White Walkers? Stannis knows that there are White Walkers - he knows

• ^^ This

I like this person.

Stannis was never the Mannis to me. He killed his own brother using the red whore's shadow babies because he is too much of a coward to figh

• Azor Ahai and the prince that was promised may be two distinct prophecies, or they may be one in the same in a prophecy that has the potential to turn out to be about two separate people.

Jon will carry this fight. It's not on Stannis to defeat the White Walkers. I think even the witch knows that. Its only a matter of time bef

• Its all Barristan's fault, Aerys should have died at Duskendale with Rhaegar taking his place as King. Ned seemingly knew Rhaegar well enough to know he had no part in Rickard/Brandons murder, i dont know whether Rhaegar would have conspired against his own father but the war could have been avoided if it wasn't for Roberts blind jealously and hatred for the Targs

Clemenem posted: »

Correction Tywin Lannister saved the 7 kingdoms against the most evil bastard in Westeros history, Aeries Targareyan. Had Tywin not had his men attack Robert's Rebellion would have failed

• edited June 2015

The way Stannis is going he'll end up losing horribly. Also without an heir he won't be able to rule.

Azor Ahai and the prince that was promised may be two distinct prophecies, or they may be one in the same in a prophecy that has the potential to turn out to be about two separate people.

• edited June 2015

Battle of Gulltown > Robert's Rebellion

Battle of Summerhall > Robert's Rebellion

Battle of Ashford > Robert's Rebellion

Battle of the Bells > Robert's Rebellion

Battle of the Trident > Robert's Rebellion

Battle at the Mander > Robert's Rebellion

Sack of King's Landing > Tywin Lannister

Yeah Tywin Lannister saved the 7 kingdoms against Aerys....

Tywin Lannister stayed neutral until he saw that Robert was winning this war thats why he sacked Kings Landing and presented the bodies of Elia, Aegon and Rhaenys as tokens of his fealty. Robert was pleased with the deaths of Rhaegar's family.

Correction Tywin Lannister saved the 7 kingdoms against the most evil bastard in Westeros history, Aeries Targareyan. Had Tywin not had his men attack Robert's Rebellion would have failed

• Jon ponders what to do with the wildling she can neither house nor feed when Davos arrives with the request from Stannis

Davos convinces Jon to talk to Tormund and persuade him to march for winterfell

Tormund, aware of the situation, convinces men and women from beyond the wall to follow him

As a result of the sacrifice the snows melt and supply lines from dragonstone are reopened.

Stannises army, though still in a pitiful condition, is inspired with new hope having witnessed the power of the lord of light

Strengthed by the army of wildlings Stannis marches on winterfell

He lays siege to near-impenetrable walls

Meanwhile, Sansa conspires with Theon to tip the scales to Stannis' advantage

In a dramatic scene Theon sneaks out at night and opens the gate to Winterfell

Stannis' men fall in and slaughter Boltons

All hail King Stannis!

LukaszB posted: »

The way Stannis is going he'll end up losing horribly. Also without an heir he won't be able to rule.

• Jon ponders what to do with the wildling she can neither house nor feed when Davos arrives with the request from Stannis

Davos convinces Jon to talk to Tormund and persuade him to march for winterfell

Tormund, aware of the situation, convinces men and women from beyond the wall to follow him

As a result of the sacrifice the snows melt and supply lines from dragonstone are reopened.

Stannises army, though still in a pitiful condition, is inspired with new hope having witnessed the power of the lord of light

Strengthed by the army of wildlings Stannis marches on winterfell

He lays siege to near-impenetrable walls

Meanwhile, Sansa conspires with Theon to tip the scales to Stannis' advantage

In a dramatic scene Theon sneaks out at night and opens the gate to Winterfell

Stannis' men fall in and slaughter Boltons

All hail King Stannis!

Battle of Gulltown > Robert's Rebellion Battle of Summerhall > Robert's Rebellion Battle of Ashford > Robert's Rebellion B

• Stannis did nothing wrong.
    He made a sacrifice for the greater good. One soul to save thousands. After 20 >>good<< men burned his supplies, along with a significant chunk of his starving army, he was faced with a choice between:

1) Going back to Castle Black where they would have to spend the long winter. Night's watch cant affod to feed the wildlings, let alone Stannis' army and the army of the dead is approaching while Westeros is in shambles.

2) Making a sacrifice and praying for a miracle. Giving up something he holds most dear for a mere chance at fulfilling his destiny.

Stannis is the only man who can unite 7 Kingdoms to face the threat coming from beyond the wall.

Stannis made the right choice.

Stannis did nothing wrong.
    He made a sacrifice for the greater good. One soul to save thousands. After 20 >>good<< men burned his supplies, along with a significant chunk of his starving army, he was faced with a choice between:

1) Going back to Castle Black where they would have to spend the long winter. Night's watch cant affod to feed the wildlings, let alone Stannis' army and the army of the dead is approaching while Westeros is in shambles.

2) Making a sacrifice and praying for a miracle. Giving up something he holds most dear for a mere chance at fulfilling his destiny.

Stannis is the only man who can unite 7 Kingdoms to face the threat coming from beyond the wall.

Stannis made the right choice.

Alt text

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2015

Lord Ramsay flees to King's Landing to flay another day.

Then we good.

Jon ponders what to do with the wildling she can neither house nor feed when Davos arrives with the request from Stannis Davos convinces

• Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity and sacked King's Landing when he saw Aerys was losing control of the kingdoms. Had it gone the other way around, he would just as well doom the 7 kingdoms and the rebellion. He's just a greedy son of a bitch who recognizes his own flaws in his dwarf son.

• Is this your speculation?

Jon ponders what to do with the wildling she can neither house nor feed when Davos arrives with the request from Stannis Davos convinces

• if seen it in the fire

Is this your speculation?

• You know nothing Clemenem

AWESOMEO posted: »

Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity and sacked King's Landing when he saw Aerys was losing control

• u knu nuthin jun snew

You know nothing Clemenem

• Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity

Um he seized an opportunity to kill Aerys' men and put the numbers in Robert's favor. Tywin surprised Aerys which gave a monumental advantage to Robert and his followers. Without this I doubt Robert's men would have even come close to King's Landing much less defeat Aerys' forces without Tywin

AWESOMEO posted: »

Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity and sacked King's Landing when he saw Aerys was losing control

• Daenerys FTW!

Alt textAlt textAlt text

Grafite posted: »

Stannis is a horrible man who burned his daughter alive just to be the king. Is he going to be the best king Westeros has ever seen? Not by

edited June 2015

The problem with this is that his sacrifice really was for nothing, since he isn't Azor Ahai and R'hllor practically ignores any attempts of The Red Whore to force him into the identity of Azor Ahai :P

He is a just, good leader, though I believe he has no strategical thinking and he doesn't know when to stop. Melisandre washed his brain to the point that he stopped listening to his good advisor, and that will cost him the little kingdom he's built.

Let's face it, he doesn't fit most of the prophecies, and from those he does; him being "reborn amidst salt and smoke" was a staged ceremony (which Melisandre just happened to plan underneath a bleeding star) instead of something real, his sword being named Lightbringer is also something Melisandre told him to do (even Maester Aemon says that "the sword is wrong" and that it is "light without heat... an empty glamor"), and the sacrifice of "Nissa Nissa" being his daughter Shireen is another thing she manipulates him to do to fit the prophecies. Also, he never awakened any stone dragons and while he does have some Targaryen blood, the woods witch told Aerys and Rhaella to get married because Azor Ahai would be their descendant - and the thing is that we know "The Ghost of High Heart" (the mysterious old woman Arya met while with The Brotherhood Without Banners) is the same person as the woods witch because their descriptions match - both very short women who produce prophecies, and are both associated with the children of the forest. They are also both close to someone named Jenny. And we know that "The Ghost of High Heart" is very accurate with her prophecies - as a lot of them did come true. Because of all this, we can assume that the woods witch knew what she was saying and that Azor Ahai will come from their line, and Stannis didn't.

He barely fits the 7 signs, and those he does fit into were forced onto him by Melisandre (who also admitted that she makes mistakes with her prophecies) - the best candidates for Azor Ahai (or as you said - the one who can unite the 7 kingdoms against the others) are Jon Snow and Dany - they are quite literally "The Song of Ice and Fire" :)

Stannis did nothing wrong. He made a sacrifice for the greater good. One soul to save thousands. After 20 >>good<< men burned

• Seriously, i hope this is not spoilers.

if seen it in the fire

• Would the throne go to Shireen if Stannis didn't have a son?

JohnKersky posted: »

I doubt that Stannis from the books (I like him, by the way) will be the one who burns his daughter, so I can speak for TV show version for

• There are no supply lines, and even if there were they would take weeks to reach. And you're also forgetting that Stannis didn't send Davos for men, he sent him to get food and supplies.

edited June 2015

Um he seized an opportunity to kill Aerys' men and put the numbers in Robert's favor.

And if Robert were to lose the rebellion, he would have Jaime drive a blade through his heart just as he did to Aerys (with pleasure even).

Without this I doubt Robert's men would have even come close to King's Landing much less defeat Aerys' forces without Tywin

Robert had the Riverlands, the Vale, the North and the Stormlands in his palm, he sealed the Kingdom's fate when he crushed Rhaegar at the Battle of the Trident. There was no way back at that point, and both Tywin and Aerys knew that. Tywin wouldn't've even considered helping Robert to finish the rebellion if there was a good chance of Robert not being able to handle it alone - he just wanted to play on Robert's good side and join the Lannisters and the Baratheons together so he could progressively take over the Iron Throne in the shadows - which he did.

Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity Um he seized an opportunity to kill Aerys' men and put

• The pivotal moment of the war was the Battle of the Trident, where Robert smashed Rhaegar in single combat, with the rebel army winning against the royal army. By the time Eddard brought Robert's vanguard to King's Landing, Tywin was already there, sacking the city.

Tywin joined the rebel cause when he realized that it was his best option. Had the Battle of the Trident happened differently, he would have decided differently as well.

Alt text

Tywin Lannister didn't save the 7 kingdoms, he merely seized the opportunity Um he seized an opportunity to kill Aerys' men and put

edited June 2015

That's the problem, he's mislead into thinking he is chosen by the Red God, and fulfilling his duty for the Red God is more important than his heir - which is why he burned her in the show.

I don't know if he'll be flayed by the Boltons, but he is most certainly fucked.

JohnKersky posted: »

I doubt that Stannis from the books (I like him, by the way) will be the one who burns his daughter, so I can speak for TV show version for

Sign in to comment in this discussion.