Why does LeChuck love Elaine?

I'm a little bit confused on why exactly LeChuck loves Elaine so much. Is it personality? Is it attractiveness? Is it her position of power?

See, I always thought it was her personality; she being so against LeChuck that he's turned on by it and makes it his mission to make her love him. But when she grabs the voodoo sword it COMPLETELY changes her personality! Elaine is now basically a slave to his power and has no control over her own emotions...she's basically a different person.

What's the point in that? Why would he want to completely change the person that he supposedly loves so that she's now a different person?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    StoutFiles wrote: »
    What's the point in that? Why would he want to completely change the person that he supposedly loves so that she's now a different person?

That is strange... usually that's the woman's job! *evil grin*
  • edited January 2010
    ^
    :|

Anyway, Secret of Monkey Island hinted that it isn't just LeChuck, apparently she has lots of people attracted to her since she "had a lot of suiters she turned down." It's even hinted at when you look at the well twice in episode 4. ("Who's the pirate most adored?") I guess it's really just her looks, though her fiery attitude might have something to do with it too, might be considered a challenge or something, I dunno.

LeChuck is just a giant misogynist though, as you can see by his expectations of a wife in chapter 5, so for him it's really not personality.
  • edited January 2010
    SoMI suggests that it's mostly about her attractiveness. She's a strong woman, also. For personality and personal likes... Well, you can't love someone who dislikes you anyway, so LeChuck wasn't hesitating to make some changes on her to create the best bride for himself. Personality isn't EVERYTHING for LeChuck though, apparently. He goes by the charm.
  • edited January 2010
    Obsession, there are no explanations.
  • edited January 2010
    I think at first he was attracted to her, but then she rejected him and chose Guybrush... And it all went downhill from there.

I think because he can't have her, he really, really wants to have her, be able to change her mind... A bit like people who are attracted to gay people of the opposite gender just because they're gay, and who are hoping to be the one who's so awesome they somehow change their sexual orientation.
    You know what I mean?
  • edited January 2010
    For the same reasons Bowser loves Princess Peach, and the Ninja Turtles love pizza.
  • edited January 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    For the same reasons Bowser loves Princess Peach, and the Ninja Turtles love pizza.

But pizza loves them back!
    (And it hasn't been clearly disproved that baby Bowser isn't Peach's child. Just saying...)
  • edited January 2010
    For the same reasons Bowser loves Princess Peach

Um, no I dont dont Elaine loves LeChuck back ;) (and dont tell me none of you have seen any fanart implying that...)

Also I hate to say this... but it's Cliche, the villian always loves the hero's wife/husband/gf/bf/we to make it a plotpoint for kidnapping, endearment attempts, etc.
  • edited January 2010
    He probably has nothing better to do.
  • edited January 2010
    He probably has nothing better to do.

He has, you know, getting voodoo-powerful and creating a voodoo army and everything but... He's alone, so where's the fun in that?
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    He has, you know, getting voodoo-powerful and creating a voodoo army and everything but... He's alone, so where's the fun in that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs
  • edited January 2010
    strong women are hawt.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    He's alone, so where's the fun in that?

But that's the "nothing better to do" part.

Alright, alright, serious answer now. He needed a girl, and Elaine was more accessible than Carla. Or less, and he just wanted trouble.
  • edited January 2010
    Maybe she was the only one to ever invite him over for dinner.
  • edited January 2010
    Maybe she was the only one to ever invite him over for dinner.

Why do you make so much sense?!
  • edited January 2010
    Why do I love coffee?
  • edited January 2010
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Why do I love coffee?

Because it's all too easy to give into the Dark Side.
  • edited January 2010
    There is a necessity for LeChuck to love Elaine, since otherwise, Guybrush would have never had a reason to travel to Monkey Island in the first place.

OR:

The reason why he loves her IS the secret of Monkey Island. TM.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, I think LeChuck is kind of a loon being in love, which makes him obsessed of Elaine, and no way to love someone else. And that his love doesn't get returned, makes him even more obsessed.

But wasn't the reason of marrying her in MI1, to rule the carribean? I think I read it somewhere.
  • edited January 2010
    jannar85 wrote: »
    Well, I think LeChuck is kind of a loon being in love, which makes him obsessed of Elaine, and no way to love someone else. And that his love doesn't get returned, makes him even more obsessed.

But wasn't the reason of marrying her in MI1, to rule the carribean? I think I read it somewhere.

I've not played the classic MI games (but I have SoMI:SE to play soemtime) but she did make refernce to being a govorner ("This is more power than I could ever have as a pirate or a govorner" - Chapter 5 immediatly after being turned into a zombie-demon)
  • edited January 2010
    He was supposed to be somewhat of a successful pirate... So maybe he already has a large sum of treasure buried somewhere and Elaine is the last bit of... erm ..... booty left for him to collect.... and its the challenge he is really attracted to.
  • edited January 2010
    Irishmile, two demerits for bad pun. I'm limiting your pie rations for this month.

But yeah, there are many men out there who get turned on by the whole "chase" thing, and who don't get that "no" means "Not if you were the last man on Earth and my dear, dying mother's last wish was to see a grandchild before she finally passed away". A swift kick to the crotch, on the other hand, is much harder to misinterpret.
  • edited January 2010
    He only likes Elaine for her hatred of voodoo and because she plays hard to get, even though it's really "I hate your guts, go away." Type of hard to get.
  • edited January 2010
    LeChuck loves Elain because she comes from a wealthy familiy with roots into the history and secrets of the carribean. Her grandfather was governor, she was governor.
    The other admirer she had back in MI1 where only interested in her position, not her personality - that's why Guybrush won her heart!!!
  • edited January 2010
    Maybe she is the key to the Secret of Monkey island somehow.
  • edited January 2010
    Maybe she is the key to the Secret of Monkey island somehow.

Not unlikely.
  • edited January 2010

Bowser loves Peach (Princess Toadstool)? I never remember him saying he loved her, he just keeps kidnapping her and I thought it was to take over the Kingdom. They never really developed a clear why he keeps holding her hostage. At least I never saw it.

Sorry this post had nothing to do with Monkey Island.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    For the same reasons [ ... ] the Ninja Turtles love pizza.

She's covered in melty cheese? And is delivered hot within 30 minutes or you get her free? :p
  • edited January 2010
    techie775 wrote: »
    Bowser loves Peach (Princess Toadstool)? I never remember him saying he loved her, he just keeps kidnapping her and I thought it was to take over the Kingdom. They never really developed a clear why he keeps holding her hostage. At least I never saw it.

It was explained in SuperMario RPG. they dug into the character of bowser a LOT deeper than in previous games and tried to really explore him.

Also iirc in one game bowser looks at Toadstool (I think Peach is her first name) and little hears appeared over his head. I might be wrong about that one though...

Sorry, off-topic, I know, but Bowser's my favorite character in the mario universe...
  • edited January 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    in one game bowser looks at Toadstool (I think Peach is her first name)
    No, as far as I know they just changed the character's name. I think someone said that "Peach" is closer to the Japanese name but I'm not sure if that's the reason.
  • edited January 2010
    She's always been Princess Peach in Japan. She was mostly known as "Princess Toadstool" in the US until relatively recently, with a few odd switches here and there. Sometimes she's referred to as "Princess Peach Toadstool" in US games, but I don't think the Toadstool name has made any influence on Japanese products(unlike the US Super Mario Bros. 2, which had a huge influence on the franchise).

Also, Bowser is King Koopa, fun fact. Makes more sense, really, but a bit bland. A few odd name differences litter the Mario franchise. =P
  • edited January 2010
    I think the reason probably is obsession, we know that Elaine rejected LeChuck before in SoMI, but we don't really have any indication to how she treated or acted towards LeChuck before then... maybe it's just something happened back then we don't know about that caused his obsession with her.

Oh and I like the Elaine has something to do with the secret of monkey island idea :)
  • edited January 2010
    MI_voodoo.png
    Ah my child, de ways of de voodoo be strange in dees parts. De love of LeChuck for de fair Elaine is woven in secrecy dat only adventurers may find later. Perhaps if de Pox was any sign, dat de bond between Elaine and de LeChuck goes deeper dan de sands and waters of the Caribbean. When LeChuck was cursed wid da all mighty voodoo, he tirst for everyting in sight. An now he is permenantly interwoven wid da voodoo curse, dere is no giving up. However, de secrecy that revolves around this ancient curse in de Caribbean always brings de two togeder, causing LeChuck to feel the bonds of attraction he has for Elaine.

If it be any-tin' wort mentionin' it be de fact dat both LeChuck and Guybrush Treepwood escaped from de underworld unscaved. Dis means dat not only is Guybrush undead, but now headin' down de path of LeChuck. Perhaps de bond Elaine provides, no man can resist, and any man sent to dah underworld, will return for her love.

;)
  • edited January 2010
    ^ The creepy part of all of that? I actually heard her voice in my head. o_o
  • edited January 2010
    This is actually a sad quality in LeChuck's character in my opinion. He only believes that he loves Elaine, when deep down inside, the guy has no clue what it means to be in love. You saw what LeChuck has done to Elaine and what he is willing to do to her. He has abducted her, abused her, tortured and murdered her friends and family, and even attempted to kill her and reanimate her. Anyone in their right mind would not do those things to someone they were truly in love with.

LeChuck does not truly love Elaine, but only thinks he does because of his own sick and twisted definition of the word: to cook, clean, and have sex with. He most likely was never taught what love was and Elaine may have been the first person to even be a little nice to LeChuck until she learned of his true nature, so he thought she would be perfect for him. In my opinion though, I don't think LeChuck knows how to love. I mean he has done things to Elaine that he has done to his worst enemies. I think Tales established what LeChuck has always wanted from Elaine, to be his servent. That's my take on it.
  • edited January 2010
    After TOMI I think the Voodoo Lady has something to do with it. But in chapter 5, she hinted that she doesn't understand/can't control love, as it's a higher power than voodoo (can't remember it word for word, but it's along the lines of that). So I'm not completely convinced that is why he loves her.

I'm gonna go with the theory that he was originally one of the many local pirates that liked her (like the ones Elaine mentioned in SOMI that she told Guybrush about). I'm assuming it was for her looks, and quite possibly her personality. As LeChuck is a very obsessive character, this may be why he didn't accept her rejection.

Maybe something happened between them before SOMI for all we know; the idea of her having something to do with the secret of Monkey Island is a nice theory too.
  • edited January 2010
    I don't agree with it being because she's the first woman to ever care about him, she told him straight-up to drop dead, and there was Minnie who did actually love him. I think he just wants her now more than ever because he can't have her, and now there's the added bonus of hurting Guybrush in the process.
  • edited January 2010
    Nice Cans.
  • edited January 2010
    because she's hawt
  • edited January 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    I think he just wants her now more than ever because he can't have her, and now there's the added bonus of hurting Guybrush in the process.

This /\
    Scrawffler wrote: »
    After TOMI I think the Voodoo Lady has something to do with it. But in chapter 5, she hinted that she doesn't understand/can't control love, as it's a higher power than voodoo

Love is part of free will. you cannot for somone to fall in love for you. Carnal Lust is possible; that is basicallt hormonal, but true love is beyond any magic because love itself is the greatest magic of them all.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.