Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• the role I have in mind for Hal in the next chapter

Oh thank god we saved Hal, mostly because he is my character, but I am glad nonetheless that he will have the chance to be a little more than doggy food for this beast.

Indeed, Axell, Richard and Vaasrand (and Ed) were all safe, although Axell and Vaasrand had the possibility to receive really bad wounds. If

• Yes indeed. I think I should really let something terrible happen as a result of these explorations sooner or later, to make these choices a bit harder in the future.

Yeah, it would be surprisingly too.

We'll see, we'll see. The execution will take place in one of the remaining parts of this chapter, so if you're right, then the beast is going to crash it. I can confirm that at least Wolfius did not expect to be hanged earlier than announced.

I don't think anyone would.

I'd say the beast is unpolitical and holds no opinion on Lucas' new allegiance. It has no real preference for the future of Raylansfair as long as they taste good.

Hmm. I wonder who tastes better, Jenna, Kersea, or Alysanne?

Well, that would certainly be a reason for him to act so shady, wouldn't it? He left the room around the same time the beast left Richard and the others alone.

Definitely.

Ah yes, Kreep. His current whereabouts are not fully known and we haven't seen him for a while, so it'll be interesting to see what he has been up to in the meantime. I can reveal, there will be an update about him before Book 1 ends.

Exciting.

That is an interesting choice. Remember that Irnas is known for taming dangerous wild beasts and his show at the fair has been the place where Roman and the others discussed their plans. So... it is certainly in the realm of possible.

I completely forgot that, I chose him because his name is weird, so I feel proud of myself.

Oh yes, the chapter finale is going to be crowded. In fact, I have currently planned for it to feature three PoV's, which makes it the most crowded finale ever. It's probably going to be way shorter than the Chapter 6 finale though. Still, the beast might fit in.

I'm going to guess the three: Arthur, Richard? and Ilish?

You are right, you are absolutely right with this. I can confirm that this is correct. There are indeed only two possibilites. Either the beast is just a simple direwolf, or not.

There we go, one of my theories are correct.

I propose 4 more candidates for the beast:

Maybe it's Ser Aldrik Wolver, who had the direwolf if I remember correctly.

Maybe it's Irving Todd, who uses the beast to unleash his rage at Maya's rejection of him (who we haven't seen for a while, does she still have a part left.

Maybe it's Harris Flowers, cause "Harking" kind of screwed him up, didn't she?

Last, but certainly not least, maybe it's...ALAN HARKING, dun dun dunnnnnn.

I mean, every time we have a choice like this, we always choose the explore, don't we? Yes indeed. I think I should really let somet

• This is an interesting question. Vaasrand has successfully hunted even more dangerous beasts, but with them, he had time to prepare. I'd say he definitely would have stood a fair chance, at least in a fight just between the two of them. However, there were the other wolves, who would have probably swarmed him to prevent such a fair fight. If Vaasrand would somehow get an opportunity to hunt the beast down without the other wolves intervening, he'd definitely be the one with the best chance to actually kill it.

xSensus posted: »

Liqiud if it had been Vaasrand instead of Roman fighting the beast would he have won?

• Hmm. I wonder who tastes better, Jenna, Kersea, or Alysanne?

This is a question I certainly never thought I'd ever be asked. Still, I think I even have a definite answer to this one. I know that stress and fear trigger a lot of changes inside a body. Muscles tense up and the acidity of the meat goes up, together with a couple of other chemical processes I don't really know a lot about. Fact is, fear and stress produce less tender meat. As you know, Jenna has been a very timid person until lately, who has been afraid of just about everything. Meanwhile, Kersea is not necessarily afraid, but she's constantly under an insanely high amount of stress. The only one who is mostly relaxed no matter how dangerous the situation is Alysanne, so while I don't know if human meat can be compared to cattle, she should theoretically taste the best. I can't speak for the beast though, maybe it prefers the taste of fear. But at least objectively, it should be Alysanne.

I'm going to guess the three: Arthur, Richard? and Ilish?

You are right with one of these three, that I can say.

Maybe it's Ser Aldrik Wolver, who had the direwolf if I remember correctly.

He has a pet direwolf, comparable to the Stark direwolves around Season 2 or 3. It's far from grown and actually rather tame, a far cry from the bull-sized beast that attacked Richard and the others.

Maybe it's Irving Todd, who uses the beast to unleash his rage at Maya's rejection of him (who we haven't seen for a while, does she still have a part left.

Maya has one part left in this chapter. Originally, she was planned to have more, but I decided to move a majority of her storyline into the next chapter, since I think it'll work better there. But one of the next parts will feature another PoV for her, which should also provide a glimpse of Irving.

Maybe it's Harris Flowers, cause "Harking" kind of screwed him up, didn't she?

She indeed did. If Jenna wouldn't have revealed his actions to Septon Corbin, Lucas and Leonard would have never learned about it and in turn, they wouldn't have brought him down in this chapter. Though there are other people who would be higher on his list of people to take revenge on. Lucas and Leonard screwed him up far more severely, as did Argella. Technically, he probably also holds a grudge against Sherryl now, after realizing that she just used him.

Last, but certainly not least, maybe it's...ALAN HARKING, dun dun dunnnnnn.

What a twist! I also just realized that we haven't seen Alan Harking in a very long time. Actually, he hasn't appeared since Ilish's first part in Chapter 5, which has been written over a year ago. I guess it might be time for the return of Douchebag Harking.

Yes indeed. I think I should really let something terrible happen as a result of these explorations sooner or later, to make these choices a

• edited September 2016

The Voting is closed!

Marak will open the hatch and explore the cellar

Well... that vote was pretty obviously in favour of exploring the cellar and I have totally expected it. Otis has behaved very shady so far and it remains to be seen if your suspicions are well founded or not. That said, I really need to write about a situation where exploring actually leads to a worse outcome some time. I've recently been replaying Until Dawn and just got one of the characters killed by opening a hatch. Yeah, maybe I should include such a situation in the future, to make such votes a bit harder for you.

Anyways, I am not entirely sure if I manage to put the next part out today. There are some other things I have to take care of today and to make things worse, I'm actually not having too much time today. Usually when writing, I deliberately pull an all-nighter, but this time, it'll be impossible, since I have to get up very early tomorrow. However, I will try my best. Tomorrow is just a more likely bet. But well, the next part is definitely going to include a Maya PoV, which is the first time in months we see her. The last time we saw her, Maya just barely escaped the archive, where she had been chased by a mysterious being. Outside, she encountered Irving, who had previously been responsible for Gregar and Keat getting captured, by falling asleep and failing to warn them of approaching guards. In her anger, Maya considered kicking him out of her team and she ultimately decided in favour of such a consequence.
    The second PoV is currently undecided, but it's likely going to either be a part from Garthon's PoV or a part from Willfred's PoV. Both haven't been seen in a while, in Garthon's case even for a serious while. The last time we saw him, Garthon was on his way to Raylansfair, together with Torvin, Edward Anturion and Cleaver Clint Volmark. His part was relatively short and mostly featured him being all disillusioned over the brutal actions of his companions. He ultimately decided to search for someone to talk to and he found Rell Vessels, Harmund Hoare's best friend who took the fall for the prince's actions in the Riverlands in Chapter 4, as well as Tedyn Bullister, Harren's personal executioner who might as well be mute.
    Meanwhile, should I decide in favour of Willfred (although I might give him a long part after this one instead), here's a recap for him: The last time we saw Willfred was shortly after Lucas declared his loyalty to House Durrandon. Willfred managed to calm Leonard down a bit, which was enough to make him even consider the talk with Lucas at the end of the last Lucas part. Afterwards, Willfred discussed their next steps together with his uncle, Roger Hill, and General Tallian, who were both undecided about supporting Argella's claim on Raylansfair. Roger in particular brought up the possibility that there might be a better option, while Tallian was more in favour of supporting the princess. In the end, Willfred decided to agree with Roger, which means he will not support Argella in the coming events, which, for the better or the worse, is going to change a lot in the events to come. This particular decision actually decided the fate of an important character, although I obviously can't tell you if you doomed or saved this character.

• I can't wait to find our Liquid is playing us all along there is some sort of monster in his basement that Marak is going to set loose, and Liquid has been playing the "well there's always next time" card on us to trick us. Hopefully I am just being superstitious. Also excited to see Garthon and how he is going to deal with all his psychotic companions.

The Voting is closed! Marak will open the hatch and explore the cellar Well... that vote was pretty obviously in favour of exploring t

• Turns out it's that direwolf in Richard's part :D

Bounden posted: »

I can't wait to find our Liquid is playing us all along there is some sort of monster in his basement that Marak is going to set loose, and

• edited September 2016

Garthon

Garthon knew Hjalgar as a pleasant young man. It was this detail, the knowledge that he could trust him, that moved him to approach Rell Vessels and Tedyn Bullister instead. Because he knew, he could not trust them. Harren's personal executioner and Harmund's best friend, they were temporary allies at best and Garthon had a discomforting idea why Harren insisted on their presence. Perhaps it couldn't be a bad thing to get to know them better, to estimate the moment of their betrayal.

As he walked across the upper deck, he gave Hjalgar a friendly nod as he passed him. The young man looked up, a thin smile on his face, though he looked down just as quickly. He had agreed to follow Torvin to an early grave, just like Garthon. Unlike the other men here, he hadn't done it for a chance at glory, but out of a desire to help a man who has been kind to him. That was a kind of gratitude Garthon hadn't seen often with his people.

Soon, he had reached the two men, sitting at the far end of the upper deck, next to each other but all for themselves. Bullister was sharpening his axe methodically, while Vessels was staring out into the sea, through the fog that had came up in the night, a look of severe boredom on his face. He glanced at Garthon and narrowed his eyes.

“What do you want, traitor?”, he growled, as Garthon sat down on the bench next to him. “Traitor?”, he asked. “That's funny coming from you. Why are you here again?” Before Rell was able to answer, a rasping sound came from underneath Tedyn Bullister's closed helmet. As both men looked at the executioner, Garthon noticed that he was laughing, in the most unsettling way ever.

Even Rell looked visibly disturbed. “You find that funny?”, he asked sharply and Tedyn gave him a nod. Then, he put both of his hands onto his helmet and to Garthon's curiosity and great horror, he removed it. He gulped as he got a glimpse of Tedyn's face. The executioner looked exactly like Garthon had imagined. Of course, there were stories of what Harren had done to him, but the truth was worse.

A majority of Tedyn's face was disfigured, quite horribly so. A large scar crossed his lips, having taken a majority of his upper lip in the process. A second, deeper scar went through his right cheek, splitting it almost in half, while the left cheek was burned to the point of having rendered the flesh charred black and immobile, though his unsettling grin was clearly noticeable. “Yesh”, he hissed, his speech almost unintelligible and as he opened his mouth, Garthon got a good glimpse at the tiny stump that was left of his tongue. Worst of it all was the fact that this was not a result of torture. The cuts were too random, too chaotically spread across his face. This was simply the result of years spent close to a king known for his violent temper, a temper Tedyn apparently had to suffer more than once.

As horrified as he was, Rell Vessels regained his smug composure rather quickly. “You know, I feel honestly insulted by this”, he said and Garthon glanced at him, only so that he could avert his eyes from Tedyn's ruin of a face. His disgusted expression obviously pleased the torturer and he raised his remaining cheek to a twisted half-grin.

“Honestly, I get mocked by a man who bit off his own tongue”, Rell said and all of a sudden, Tedyn's smile faded. “It's the truth, you know. Bullister here probably finds it funny to shock people with his ugly face, but he's an absolute joke himself. Bit off his own tongue because he was too afraid to talk back to the king, after all Black Harren did to his family”

He shook his head, while Tedyn narrowed his eyes and reached for his axe. Garthon tensed up and carefully slid farther away from Rell. In turn, the man seemed to notice Bullister's movement and grinned mildly. “Tell me, Tedyn, how was it for you when Harren cut Lord Bullister to pieces before your very eyes? Or when he flayed your sisters?”, he asked provocatively. “Oh, wait, I forgot. You're not very talkative”

Now, Tedyn jumped up and just as Garthon expected him to attack Rell, he simply growled, obvious anger on his disfigured face, while Rell chuckled without a sign of fear. “I think it just growled at me”, he said. “Sorry, Tedyn, I don't speak freak” With a satisfied smile, he watched Tedyn grabbing his helmet and putting it on again. Then, the executioner turned around and marched down the way Garthon just came from.

“Oh, a classic”, Rell said as he turned towards Garthon again. “You're still here?” Garthon gave him a nod, although Rell's smug smile started to get on his nerves. “I thought we could talk”, he said, although Rell immediately shook his head. “You can talk to Bullister if you want to”, he hissed. “Just don't expect any answers in return”

Garthon narrowed his eyes. Yeah, it was clear that he and this man would never become friends. As a matter of fact, he would love nothing more than to throw him overboard right here. “You're mocking Harren's executioner”, he remarked. “Sure that this is a wise idea?”

Rell shook his head. “I'm mocking a dog, too afraid to bite without his master ordering him to do it”, he corrected him. “There's no danger in mocking the single most ridiculous and pathetic being at court”

“The ones who get their heads taken by him don't laugh”, Garthon said and Rell gave him a nod. “Yeah, but I don't intend to get my head taken by that man”, he answered. “If he's even a man at all. Who knows what Harren removed when he created his loyal executioner”

Before Garthon could answer, the loud sound of a horn caused both men to jump up. “What was that?”, Rell barked, although Garthon already knew what was going on. In the distance, he saw three small lights in the fog chancing their course. “Durren Stallhart and his men separate from us”, he explained. “They will raid the coastal towns from here on, while we go straight to Raylansfair”

“Coastal towns?”, Rell spat. “Here in the Rock? What is there to get?” Garthon shrugged “Sheeps”, he said. “Although Maybros is only two miles away from the coast. It's rich as far as I've heard. I guess Stallhart won't return to Harrenhal without rich loot”

“Lucky bastard”, Rell mumbled. “Gets to raid some peaceful hamlets and we're left with a suicide mission” Garthon shrugged. “Maybe not. We have three hundred men”, he said, although he wasn't particularly keen on reassuring Vessels. The man was disgusting. No, perhaps it was more like he needed the reassurance himself. He glanced to the distance, where he saw Torvin's large frame near the steering wheel, barely visible through the fog. Perhaps he needed the reassurance that this wouldn't be the end.

“Yeah, three hundred men”, Vessels snarled. “Among them worthless traitors like you” Garthon raised an eyebrow, though did not react to the insult. “And men like Lord Volmark, or this Anturion”, he interjected. Rell gave him a slow nod. “Don't know anything about Anturion, but Cleaver Clint, he's iron to the bone”, he mumbled, before he nodded slightly. “A veteran of a hundred raids. Fierce and strong. He would never betray his king”

“Maybe he's too stupid to do it”, Garthon remarked and Vessels paused. Then, a sly grin appeared on his face. “Aye, he's not the sharpest cleaver in the drawer”, he agreed. Garthon shook his head. “He'd take your fingers if he'd catch you saying that”, he warned him, although Rell simply shrugged. “He's on his own ship, probably doing some depraved shit”, he muttered. “And you're not going to tell him, are you?”

“Guess not”, Garthon answered. “I think I like Cleaver Clint even less than you” To this Rell let out a surprising laugh. “Story of my life”, he said. “I can do whatever the fuck I want, as long as there's someone whom all of you peasants hate even more”

Once again, Garthon ignored the insult, though his fingers twitched slightly. Rell noticed it and smirked. “Maybe you'll get your change one day”, he said. “But first, we have to survive the next fucking raid” He shook his head. “Three hundred men against Raylansfair”

“We take them by surprise”, Garthon noted and Rell gave him a nod. “Yeah, suppose that's right”, he said and leant forwards. “You know, soon we're going to paint that entire town red with their blood” His smirk faded, which was an expression Garthon had never truly seen with him. “Or we'll die trying”, he whispered sternly. “I don't think there's going to be a middle ground for us” He looked up and right at Garthon. “And I plan to live”, he said. “Long after you and your traitor brother have breathed their last”

No Choices for this part

Maya

Tears welled up in Maya's eyes, as she made her decision. She could tell by the look in Irving's eyes that he realized what she was about to do. “No...”, he gasped. “Maya, please! Please don't send me away” She shook her head. “This was the last straw, Irving”, she said tonelessly. “You will no longer be a part of this mission”

“But...”, Irving said with a shivering voice. “I... what do you want me to do? Please, anything, whatever it is!” Maya bit her lower lip. “Go back to the Vale”, she said quietly. “Continue the live you're used to, without responsibilities, without anyone to care for”

“No, please!”, Irving said and she almost gave in, as she saw his large, pleading eyes. He went down on his knees and Maya had to turn away, so that she wouldn't see him like this. He was a liablity, endangered the mission more than once, she had to tell this to herself over and over, again and again, in the hopes of believing it. She did not want to send him away, but she had to. It broke her heart to do this, but it was more important than her personal feelings. “Farewell, Irving”, she said, without turning around.

“Maya!”, Irving begged. “Maya, don't do that! You know I would never betray you” This time she stopped and clenched her fists. She still did not turn around and she had her eyes closed tightly. “You already have”, she mumbled, before she continued to walk down the alleyway. Irving's sobs haunted her all the way, while he himself remained behind.

The next minutes passed in a blur. Maya still remembered the way back to the tavern and she hurried. At first, she was walking, but soon, she broke into a sprint, while desperately trying to hold back her tears. Irving had been with her from the very beginning. Of course, he had been a hindrance more often than not, but for Maya, it has never been a reason to dislike him. His constant whining, his cowardice and laziness, it never truly bothered her, as she noticed now. She knew she would miss him, as strange as it sounded. But she also knew she was too stubborn to turn around right now. And she knew, no matter how hard this was, it was a necessary decision.

Ser Aldrik waited for her in front of the tavern. His direwolf was sitting in front of him peacefully, though he glanced at her the moment she walked around the corner. The knight himself looked up and narrowed his eyes as he spotted her, rushing towards him.

“Aldrik...”, she gasped as she stopped in front of him. He saw the tears in her eyes and softly put his hands onto her shoulders. “Easy, Ambassador”, he said calmly, as she tried to regain her breath. “Please, Maya, calm down. Tell me what happened” He sternly looked her in the eyes. “Where are the others? Gregar, Irving and the thief?”

Maya clenched her teeth as she remembered what Gregar had said earlier. He had insisted on using Aldrik as the lookout, but she had not listened to him. She wanted to give Irving a chance and might as well screwed their entire mission in doing so. “Gregar and Keat have been caught by the city guard”, she mumbled. “They have been brought to the city guard headquarters” She looked up, giving him an apologizing look. “Irving screwed up. He fell asleep, leading to them being caught”, she explained. “And I... I have sent him away for this”

In this moment, her respect for Ser Aldrik grew immensely, when he did what she was not expecting. He did not scold her for her bad decision, for ignoring his advice and Gregar's. He only pulled her into a short, but firm hug. “I'm sorry, Ambassador”, he whispered quietly.

“It has been my fault, Ser”, she answered glumly, her head buried in his shoulder, although she slowly regained her composure. “I should have listened to you and Gregar. You should have been our lookout” Aldrik gave her a nod, as they separated. She suddenly noticed just how close their hug had been and despite her feeling of sorrow, she nervously took a step away from him and looked onto the ground, feeling the heat in her cheeks.

“There is no point in blaming yourself, Maya”, Aldrik said. “Neither would it help to blame Irving. You say Gregar and the thief have been brought to the city guard headquarters?” Maya gave him a solemn nod. “And Keat had the documents with him”, she explained. “Aldrik, we found them. Letters, contracts... we found so many things down there” She shivered as she remembered the thin figure that had chased her through the archive. She glanced over her shoulder, half expecting it to stand there in the shadows. “We have found more than we ever wanted to”

Aldrik gulped. “Seven have mercy...”, he mumbled and looked at his direwolf. “Lord Royce will be livid” Maya clenched her teeth. “Royce...”, she mumbled. “The Bronze Lord, he's going to kill us if we don't get the documents back” This time, Aldrik shook his head. “I doubt he's going to do that. From my experience, he's not as bad as everyone says he is. He even has family, children”, he answered. “Still, I agree with you on one thing. We have to get these documents back. And we have to free Gregar and the thief as well”

Despite everything that happened, Maya raised an eyebrow. “You'd even be willing to save Keat?”, she asked and without hesitating, Aldrik gave her a nod. “I might not be a friend of the thief, nor will I ever be”, he explained. “But he helped us when we needed him and I can respect that. This thief will not rot in a prison cell for something we dragged him into”

Maya gulped. Yes, helping them was something they had to do. Not only for their mission, but because they were a part of her group. At the same time, she had never felt so defeated before, so powerless. “And... do you have an idea how we could free them?”, she asked. “I mean, they have been taken to the guard headquarters” The look in Aldrik's dark eyes was calm and compassionate and she was more than glad to have at least him still at her side. “You're our leader”, he said. “How would you like to free them?”

To this, Maya sighed, as she shook her head. “And what kind of a leader am I?”, she asked. “I got my men captured because of my foolishness. It was Irving who fell asleep, but I'm taking full responsibility for his actions” She clenched her fists. “Tell me, Ser Aldrik, how can I still lead this mission?”, she asked. “I'm not a leader. Never have been. I've been born a peasant from a family of peasants” In growing frustration, she shook her head. “I was meant to pick turnips on a field and to guard sheep and not to save the Vale and everyone I ever cared for”, she muttered. “I don't think I can do this. I...” She looked up, right into his calm, understanding eyes. “I am afraid, Aldrik. For the first time in my live, I am truly afraid to make things even worse”

Aldrik put a hand onto her shoulder. “Only in a challenge do we get the chance to shine”, he said and for a moment, she looked at him in a completely baffled state. Then, a small smile of disbelief formed on her face, as a single chuckle came out of he throat against her will. Quickly, it grew stronger, until she was almost laughing, even though she felt like crying at the same time.

The knight raised an eyebrow, as she turned around, though she quickly stumbled backwards, bumping against him against her will. To her surprise, Aldrik almost put his arm around her for a moment. “That was... that was terrible!”, she said, as she gasped for air. By now, tears flew down her face, mostly tears of anger at her own failure. “Who said that before?”

“No... no one”, Aldrik stuttered and glanced at his hand, still hovering around her. “I... I wanted to sound... wise?” Maya shook her head. “Only in a challenge do we get the chance to shine”, she said, mimicking the hedge knight's gravelly voice. “That is your definition of wisdom?”

A smirk formed on Aldrik's face. “I wanted to say something to make you feel better, ambassador”, he assured her and Maya shook her head. “You haven't”, she said, though she noticed that his smirk got smaller and decided to add something. “But... you made it a bit easier for me” She sighed and took a step away from him. “I honestly don't know if I can do this”, she explained honestly and clenched her fists in frustration. “This is... so much bigger than I ever wanted my life to be. But people depend on me now” She sighed again, though a determined look appeared on her face. “And I won't disappoint them. We'll free Gregar and Keat, we'll get these documents back”, she decided, before a slight streak of uncertainty flashed across her face. “Although... I don't know how”

“I've seen the building”, Aldrik explained. “The headquarters of the city guard. Sneaking in there won't be easy and I'm afraid I wouldn't be much of a help there” He shrugged. “I have never been good at sneaking”, he said and suddenly, a devious streak appeared on his face, something Maya had never seen before when it came to the hedge knight. “Although... I am a rather noticeable man, don't you agree?”

She glanced at him and then at his direwolf, before she gave him a nod. “Undoubtedly”, she said, before she realized what he was suggesting. “Wait... no, no, that is not going to happen! You're offering to distract them, don't you?”

The knight gave her a nod. “It would make things far easier for you”, he said. “Maybe it'll even give you the opening you need” Maya narrowed her eyes. “This is completely out of question!”, she barked. I'll do it on my own if necessary”

Now, Aldrik pressed his lips together. “Ambass... Maya, this might be our only chance. Do you want to waste it because you're too afraid to use me to my full potential?”, he asked. “Think about it. It can help. It will help”

Maya clenched her teeth and did not answer to his suggestion. This was a horrible idea. She couldn't save two members of her group by probably sacrificing a third. Aldrik has been a loyal companion, a friend even, as of lately. What kind of leader would she be if she'd do such a thing? “Any alternatives?”, she asked.

To her surprise, Aldrik gave her a nod. “I doubt you're going to like it though, considering your earlier aversion of such an approach”, he said and she did not fail to notice the sharpness in his voice. “I believe in this situation, diplomacy is very much on the table”

“Speaking with Lord Harris again?”, Maya asked bitterly. “Or maybe his puppeteer, this Sherryl?” Immediately, Aldrik shook his head. “Trust me, if it would be one of them, I wouldn't dare to suggest it”, he assured her. “But we wouldn't speak to them. The one responsible for the prisoners is a certain Commander Hackor Nathamer. I've gathered some information on the man and I am certain he is a just man. In this city, he has a reputation like no other. People look up to him”

“And you believe he will be better than Harris?”, Maya asked and Aldrik gave her a nod. “I am certain of it”, he told her. “But in the end, I am sworn to protect you and to follow your orders. I will do whatever it is you want of me”

[Try to sneak into the headquarters] [Try to sneak into the headquarters and use Aldrik as a distraction] [Try to use diplomacy]

• [Try to use diplomacy]

Once again i'm trying to get the least people killed. Probably will once again kill even more people but I can dream.

Garthon Garthon knew Hjalgar as a pleasant young man. It was this detail, the knowledge that he could trust him, that moved him to approa

• [Try to sneak into the headquarters]

Diplomacy? You kidding me? Aldrik as a distraction? Not needed. We can Metal Gear this easy, I swear. I think everyone will be busy anyway.

Maybros, isn't that were Sadie is/was? Raiding down there that will be fun.

Poor bastard, Irving. He's not going to dislike Maya even more than before. Jeez, he's going to be either really really depressed or really really angry.

Garthon Garthon knew Hjalgar as a pleasant young man. It was this detail, the knowledge that he could trust him, that moved him to approa

We'll free Irving and Keat, we'll get these documents back”

I think Gregar should be there instead of Irving.

• [Try to use diplomacy]

• (Try to sneak into the headquarters)

• Ah, you are right of course! Thanks for telling me :)

Mathea posted: »

[Try to sneak into the headquarters] We'll free Irving and Keat, we'll get these documents back” I think Gregar should be there instead of Irving.

• Diplomacy? You kidding me? Aldrik as a distraction? Not needed. We can Metal Gear this easy, I swear. I think everyone will be busy anyway.

We'll see about that. To be fair, diplomacy indeed rarely worked out before, especially when it comes to Maya. Though her previous attempt at sneaking into a building ended with half of her team getting captured.

Maybros, isn't that were Sadie is/was? Raiding down there that will be fun.

This is correct, good catch! Maybros is indeed the town where Sadie's storyline is currently set. I can't promise if the raid will be fun, but it will be at least fun to write =)

Poor bastard, Irving. He's not going to dislike Maya even more than before. Jeez, he's going to be either really really depressed or really really angry.

Actually, Irving doesn't dislike Maya at all. He has a huge crush on her, so getting sent away by her, the knowledge of having disappointed her so severely, that's going to be hard on him. It remains to be seen how he is going to react to that. This certainly wasn't the last we've seen of Irving.

[Try to sneak into the headquarters] Diplomacy? You kidding me? Aldrik as a distraction? Not needed. We can Metal Gear this easy, I swear

• [Try to sneak into the headquarters and use Aldrik as a distraction] It's the only plan I can see working. There's no way Hackor will agree to freeing criminals.

No, no, no! I see what's happening here and I don't like it. There will be no romance with Maya and Aldrik. I FORBID IT!

Irving no! Will we ever see him again? :'(

• It's the only plan I can see working. There's no way Hackor will agree to freeing criminals.

A very valid argument. Hackor is known to be a just man, representing a fair, but uncompromising side of the law. With the right arguments, it might be able to convince him, but as long as he sees them as criminals, there is little that can be done to free them on a legal way.

No, no, no! I see what's happening here and I don't like it. There will be no romance with Maya and Aldrik. I FORBID IT!

Ah, so that's how you interpret their interaction here, I see. Your objection has been noted. And well, it remains to be seen what, if anything, is going to await Maya in terms of romance >:)

Irving no! Will we ever see him again? :'(

Yes, this certainly wasn't the last time he appeared. Far from it actually. While I can't tell you when and where he is going to reappear, I can confirm that there is still a lot I want to write about him.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Try to sneak into the headquarters and use Aldrik as a distraction] It's the only plan I can see working. There's no way Hackor will agree

• I can't tell you when and where he is going to reappear

Can you tell me when and where he won't reappear? :p

It's the only plan I can see working. There's no way Hackor will agree to freeing criminals. A very valid argument. Hackor is known

• Of course I can. Well, partially at least ;) I can tell you that Irving won't reappear in the North storyline in Book 2, which is probably not that surprising.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I can't tell you when and where he is going to reappear Can you tell me when and where he won't reappear?

• This is correct, good catch! Maybros is indeed the town where Sadie's storyline is currently set. I can't promise if the raid will be fun, but it will be at least fun to write =)

I do love a good raid.

Actually, Irving doesn't dislike Maya at all. He has a huge crush on her, so getting sent away by her, the knowledge of having disappointed her so severely, that's going to be hard on him. It remains to be seen how he is going to react to that. This certainly wasn't the last we've seen of Irving.

I was thinking of when he was in the tavern. I knew he had a huge crush on her, but I was thinking that maybe he would lose it after the way she treats him.

I bet Irving is going to either stumble into another POV or save Maya at the last second or something. Seems like something that would happen.

Diplomacy? You kidding me? Aldrik as a distraction? Not needed. We can Metal Gear this easy, I swear. I think everyone will be busy anyway.

• edited September 2016

[Try to use diplomacy] Hackor is a just man, and then there will be even more back up at the execution for when the monster shows up. Aldrik could really help. Also this way they aren't breaking any laws. (And I just want to see Hackor again)

• [Try to sneak into the headquarters and use Aldrik as a distraction]

• [Try to sneak into the headquarters and use Aldrik as a distraction]

• [Try to use diplomacy] Enough with sneaking around Maya! :p Seriously though, I think it would do good for her storyline to get some interaction with people who are not from her group.

Oh, and bye bye Irving :D

• How big is the prison in the HQ? There is a sudden influx of prisoners now that both Grergor and Keat plus Rodrik and Wolfius. Maybe Hackor would be willing to let Gregor and Keat slide with a slap on the wrist if he has bigger things to worry about, or even if they are running out of jail cells.

• [Try to use diplomacy]

• I'd say the city guard headquarters have about six cells. They are not really meant to hold a large number of criminals, since Raylansfair is mostly peaceful and the ones that have to be punished are usually not punished with long prison sentences, at least not in the headquarters. That's what they have the dungeons underneath the castle for. At the time of Maya's latest part, Wolfius actually isn't in his cell anymore, he's already being brought to the town square to be hanged. Meanwhile, Rodrik has just reached the gates of Raylansfair, which means that Gregar and Keat are currently the only prisoners inside the building. That means, there is enough spare room for another few prisoners at the moment, although Hackor surely has more urgent things to worry about. He's not the kind of person to let people go with a slap on the wrist, but at the same time, he's certainly a reasonable man

Bounden posted: »

How big is the prison in the HQ? There is a sudden influx of prisoners now that both Grergor and Keat plus Rodrik and Wolfius. Maybe Hackor

• The Voting is closed!

Maya is going to try to free Gregar and Keat through diplomacy

I am slightly surprised diplomacy won, if only by a narrow margin. Several past options have either not worked out or not even been pursued in the first place, so I assumed diplomacy would not exactly be your favourite option here. Well, I can't say anything about this without dropping a potentially huge spoiler, so I'm just going to leave it at the usual. You will see the consequences of your choice here in time ;)

The next part is most likely going to be out today. I was a bit busy yesterday, so achieved little progress, but the next part will be one of the parts I have almost completely planned out in my mind even before writing them, so I have no doubt that I can manage to finish it today. It will be a Willfred part and I already gave you a recap the last time I closed the voting, so I don't really think it'll be necessary to repeat myself so soon. Maybe one addition: Willfred's next part will not be set immediately after his part. Instead, it will be set a few hours later, after the events of Lucas' latest part took place. The only thing I'm still struggling with this part is the choice, so it is entirely likely that I won't be able to give you one, as much as I don't like it.

• Alright, here's a small update for you. I suppose these are both, good and bad news. The bad news first, this is not the new part and it will take me a little bit longer until I can post it, at least this entire day. The good news is, it is going to be twice as long as a usual part. Originally, this part was planned to have the length of a usual part. I reached this length yesterday as planned, but unfortunately, the storyline I wish to tell in this part has not been finished at all by then. This means, there still is a lot of writing to do and I will continue right now. Ultimately, the part will be done when it's done, but I sincerely hope that I won't have to keep you waiting for much longer.

The Voting is closed! Maya is going to try to free Gregar and Keat through diplomacy I am slightly surprised diplomacy won, if only by

• Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your work. I'm definitely exited for more!

• Welcome onboard! We all are excited for more, especially another part. :-)

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your work. I'm definitely exited for more!

• Welcome!

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your work. I'm definitely exited for more!

• Welcome to the story and welcome the forums! I'm very glad you found your way here and I hope you'll continue to enjoy it :)

• Welcome. I'm Lord. Nice to meet you.

• Willfred

It came as a slight surprise to Willfred that Lord Hobert still had a smirk on his face. His smugness was unsettling, especially after his earlier outburst of anger. Willfred himself was seated at the lower side of the table and he was hit especially frequently by Hobert's grin. His bodyguard Malkolm stood behind his lord, silent, but attentive.

Next to Hobert, directly opposing Willfred, sat a white-haired noblewoman, who had introduced herself as Lady Helenys Bellward. Willfred wasn't exactly sure why she was here with them or even whom she was, since she had remained silent after a brief, but polite introduction. Right now, she was carefully mustering everyone present with caution.

Then there were the people sitting at each end of the table. At the lower end, close to Willfred, sat a woman who had just introduced herself as Lady Sherryl. With her looks, he wasn't bothered at all that Tyrell had seated her so close to him and neither was he bothered by her distant nature and the glare she gave him as he grinned at her.

Finally, at the top end of the table sat Lord Harlen Tyrell, his hands laying on his belly, as he was glancing around at the other people in the room with a nervous smile. His nephew Elias stood behind him, his arms crossed behind his back. “So...”, the castellan of Highgarden said, as the attention of Hobert, Sherryl and Helenys shifted towards him. His smile got wider, as well as more nervous. “It appears the princess is late”

Willfred glanced at the empty place to his right. The Storm Princess let them wait, much to the visible anger of Elias and Willfred had no doubt it was on purpose. It was a risky move, but seeing the growing nervousness of Lord Tyrell, it seemed to pay off. He glanced at Roger behind him. His uncle gave him a reassuring nod.

Just in this moment, the door that led into the large room got opened. Willfred spotted Emphryus Dresfel entering the room first, a grim expression on his face, while he carried a large book under his arm. Behind him walked Argella Durrandon, wearing a tight, light blue dress that caused Willfred's heart to beat faster. As she noticed him and especially the expression on his face, she raised an eyebrow, as a smirk formed on her face.

Finally, Willfred noticed the third woman. She was not less beautiful, with fair skin and dark hair, as well as curious green eyes, though something about her was less noticeable. Once she spotted Sherryl, a wide, genuine smile formed on her face and she fastened her steps to walk up to the other woman. In turn, Sherryl extended her hand and the other woman grabbed it and squeezed it tightly.

Argella sat down on her chair next to Willfred and she gave him a bright smile, before she noticed the glares from Hobert and Elias, as well as the indifferent glance from Lady Helenys and the nervous smirk on Hobert's face. “What?”, she asked, as she leant back. “Oh, you've been waiting for me! How kind of you!”

Now, her glance fell upon Tyrell's nephew. “Elias!”, she exclaimed joyfully and the young knight rolled his eyes. “Ser Elias”, he corrected her with a tired sigh and Argella shrugged barely noticeably. “Let me just thank you really quick for the Arbor Gold you found. I'm sure it must have taken all of your skills to deliver it to my quarters, but you did tremendously well”, she said, completely ignoring his remark. “I have no doubt that me and my friend will enjoy it later”

Hobert's smirk faded entirely, replaced by a cold frown that perfectly mirrored the expression on the face of Elias Tyrell. “Cut the games, girl”, the Lord of Mander's Mouth barked and Argella's smirk got a tiny bit colder. “So you are Hobert Lowther”, she said. “Lord of... I'm sorry, where are you from?”

“Mander's Mouth”, Hobert pressed through his clenched teeth and Argella shrugged. “Never heard of it”, she claimed. “Must be a place where they don't know manners” She put a hand onto the bare skin just below her throat. “Lord Hobert, it's a questionable pleasure to meet you”, she said. “My name is Argella, daughter of Argilac Durrandon, who is the king of the Stormlands and, among a great deal of smaller titles, the rightful lord of Raylansfair”

“I am well aware who you are”, Hobert snarled, but before he could say anything else, Lord Tyrell raised his hand. “Please, mylord, be patient”, he said sternly. “First of all, let me say that it is an honour to have all of you here today, to decide over the future of this city” He looked from Hobert to Argella. “You are already familiar with each other. The two claimants, Lord Hobert Lowther and Princess Argella Durrandon, representing her father, King Argilac. Lord Hobert brings with him his bodyguard Malkolm Sternhelm, while Princess Argella brings her bodyguard Ser Emphryus Dresfel and her trusted advisor Lady Tariel Flowers”

With a benign smile, he looked at Sherryl, who seemed entirely unimpressed. “As a result of the... unpleasant events of this day, Lord Harris won't join us. In his stead, I am pleased to greet Lady Sherryl, his trusted advisor”

Sherryl's ever present smirk faded and she gave him a solemn nod. “What Harris did...”, she said with a shivering voice. “I had no idea of it. He used to be a good man, at least that's what I thought” She averted her eyes andTyrell gave her a kind look. “It's all good, mylady”, he said. “No one here doubts you”

To this, Sherryl sighed and a hopeful look appeared on her face. “I know that despite his actions, Harris always had Raylansfair's best intentions in mind”, she explained. “In his stead, I will make sure that the future of this city is going to be a good one. In the end, all will be well”

“Very good”, Tyrell complimented her, before he looked at Willfred and then at Helenys. “And I am pleased to greet two revered guests here. There is Ser Willfred Reyne, firstborn son and heir to Lord Darren Reyne of Castamere” He took a deep breath. “Ser Willfred speaks for King Loren of House Lannister, in order to support the candidate that brings the most benefits to the Kingdom of the Rock”

Now, he looked at Helenys. “And here we have a late addition to our little round. Lady Helenys Bellward...”, he said and paused. Helenys gave him a short nod, noticing Tyrell's hesitation. “Indeed. My name is Helenys Bellward, formerly the treasurer of House Manderly of White Harbour, now a merchant”, she introduced herself. “I've been called to this city for a very special business deal and I'm a part of this round to make sure that my deal won't be in danger” She leant forwards, glancing at each of them, with a stern, estimating look. “That much can be said, this deal is... monumental”

“Wonderful!”, Tyrell exclaimed. “I am glad to have you all here today. Personally, I have no doubt that we will find a solution that will be the best for this city, for this kingdom and for all of us!” With a happy smile, he proved once again how out of place he was during this negotiation. “And with this, let us start the discussion”

Hobert audibly cleared his throat. “There is nothing to discuss”, he said and glanced around. “Raylansfair is mine by right and I have no intention of giving it to the Storm King”, he claimed, though Lord Tyrell raised his hand. “Before you speak any further, I believe it will be only polite to listen to what Lady Helenys has to say first”, he ordered. “From her long written conversations with Ser Harris, I consider her to be the one that is best informed about the financial situation of House Raylan”

The merchant smiled thinly, before she raised from her chair. Despite being the oldest person in the room, she stood remarkably straight and tall, clad in a dress that could rival that of any noblewoman Willfred had ever met, a lavish display of wealth, kept entirely in gold and dark purple. Though her facial expression looked like a mild frown, Willfred saw that she was, in fact, very pleased to speak to them.

“It's my honour, Lord Tyrell”, she said. “As some of you are aware, I first got into contact with House Raylan a few years ago, where we negotiated for a business deal that unfortunately never came to be. To my surprise, Ser Harris contacted me again, shortly after Lord Robert Raylan's death, offering me a very lucrative deal”

“And would you like to detail the contents of this deal?”, Tyrell asked, to which Helenys have him a brief nod. “Lord Harris offered me the position of Raylansfair's treasurer, he meant to put me in charge of the trade here in the city”

“There's trade here?”, Hobert asked sarcastically, to which she gave him a piercing glare, that caused him to gulp. “Not yet, at least none of notice”, she answered. “However, I have made plans on how to improve this” A confident look appeared on her face. “Located halfway between Lannisport and Oldtown, Raylansfair has everything it needs to become a major trading hub at the Sunset Sea”, she explained. “All it takes is a bit of starting capital”

Hobert chuckled at this suggestion. “So, what are you going to do to get that starting capital?”, he asked, again with a mocking streak. “Perhaps asking Raylansfair's neighbours for a bit of coin? Camberlyng is rich and I've heard Lord Selwyn just loves to hand out loans”

“I intend to ask neither”, Helenys hissed sharply. “While Raylansfair lacks notable wealth, it has one certain good, recently uncovered, which is going to make it the richest city south of Lannisport” Her bold statement caused Tyrell to gasp and she immediately continued, a winning smirk on her face. “I will reveal the details to the future Lord Raylan, during the very same talk where I intend to negotiate about the position Ser Harris intended for me”, she explained. “Let me just say, this town has more to offer than dusty old tomes” Slyly, she glanced around at each of them. “And if you wish to profit from this newfound riches, then you will need someone with experience” With these words she put a hand onto her own shoulder. “Whomever is going to succeed in this power struggle, be assured it will be my pleasure to help you gain the most out of it”

By now, even Hobert's mocking smirk had faded. “Raylansfair is wealthy?”, he asked and the merchant gave him a nod. “Very much so”, she answered. “As long as I will be around to make the most out of this very peculiar kind of wealth Ser Harris managed to uncover”

Willfred gave her an impressed nod. While he wasn't particularly fond of this sort of scheme, he had to admire the position Lady Helenys had put herself into with her speech. She had gained the curiosity of everyone present. In a minute, she had advanced from a clear newcomer to an intriguing asset for the future Lord of Raylansfair.

“Now that Lady Helenys shared what she is willing to share, I'd suggest the claimants deliver their proof”, Tyrell finally said. Immediately, Hobert looked at Malkolm behind him. The guardsman walked up to Lord Tyrell and Willfred noticed the scroll in his hands, which he gently handed to the castellan of Highgarden.

Clumsily, the lord unfurled the paper and started to read, slowly and with his lips moving, while his eyes were squinted together and his finger moved along the lines. “This is the proof you spoke about earlier?”, he asked after a while and Hobert gave him a nod. “A detailed history of the lineage of House Lowther. I have allowed myself to underline the part that is of interest to you”

“Lady Lynesse Raylan, younger sister to Lord Bonifer Raylan”, Hobert proclaimed. “Married to Lord Gerris Lowther during the nineteenth year of the reign of King Garth of House Gardener, twelfth of his name” He gulped as he saw Hobert's impatient look. “That is... with all due respect, Lord Lowther, but this happened almost two hundred years ago”, he stuttered. “Do you have any additional proof?”

Hobert gave him a nod. “Down there, the seal of the Citadel, more precisely the seal of Archmaester Gorion”, he explained, though he quickly noticed that Tyrell did not look convinced. “Half a dozen Archmaester followed since Gorion died. Don't you have any newer evidence? Maybe something written by Archmaester Quent?”, the castellan said. “I... I don't know if this will suffice as proof”

Quickly, he glanced at Argella, who flashed him a smile that was equal parts breathtaking and unnerving. For a moment, the princess seemed genuinely amused. “The history and lineage of House Lowther fits on a scroll”, she said, before she glanced at Emphryus. The knight walked around her and towards Lord Tyrell, before heavily slamming the book onto the table. “The detailed history and lineage of House Durrandon of Storm's End since the days of Ormund the Second”, Argella explained. “Emphryus, please, show Harlen what he has to know”

With experience, the knight opened the book and started to skim through the pages, carefully, so that he wouldn't damage the almost ancient pages. Willfred had no idea whom Ormund the Second was, though he had no doubt that he must have lived a long time ago. And he had no doubt that Alanna would know more about the topic. The though of his sister caused him to smile for a short moment, though he immediately pulled himself together, when Emphryus pointed at a certain entry.

“In the fifteenth year of the reign of Damon the Fourth, Prince Malcolm Durrandon married Lady Kyra Raylan, against heavy objections from his father”, he explained and looked up again. “The same Prince Malcolm would go on to become Malcolm the First, after the death of his older brother in the Battle of the Crimson Falls”

“I admit it has been watered down through a dozen generations, but the blood of Raylan flows through my father's veins and through mine”, Argella explained and Hobert narrowed his eyes. “King Malcolm the First lived four hundred years ago”, he hissed. “Whereas my ancestor, Lady Lynesse, lived only two hundred years ago” Triumphantly, he smiled at Lord Tyrell. “Mylord, my claim is obviously stronger”

“Is it?”, Argella asked. “My father never settles for second best. Harlen, remember the last time our kingdoms disagreed over something” While she said this, she was dead serious and Willfred saw concern on her face. “But my father also never leaves debt unpaid. Imagine how grateful he would be if you'd grant him this token of your good will”, she urged him. “Imagine what such a connection could achieve” She glanced at Willfred and flashed him a smile. “A new age for our kingdoms. Trust and trade, prosperity and peace”, she offered. “I don't deny that my father had his differences with this beautiful kingdom in the past. But this should stay in the past. I believe it is about time that our kingdoms cast aside whatever difference remains, so that they can become what they were always meant to be”

“You offer an alliance”, Willfred remarked and gulped as everyone in the room looked at him. Argella gave him a nod. “Yes, indeed”, she answered. “Reach and Stormlands, maybe even the Rock. A strong alliance in the heart of Westeros. A golden age for all of us. I have no doubt your king would be interested and I'm sure I can convince my father to consider this idea as well, given I will find him in the right mood” She looked at Harlen Tyrell. “And I can assure you, little would please my father more than to receive this title he desires”, she told him. “This title he has a claim for”

Tyrell waited for a moment, before he gave her a cautious nod. “An intriguing idea”, he agreed, to which Hobert widely opened his eyes. “I admit, it sounds interesting. I have to think about it, perhaps I have to inform the king of your suggestion” The Lord of Mander's Mouth clenched his fists and looked at the princess. “You can't be serious, mylord!”, he said harshly, still glaring at Argella.

“And why not?”, Tyrell asked and his eyes got slightly narrowed. “Princess Argella made a very strong argument. Do you disagree that we should look at what is best for this kingdom?” For a moment, Harlen Tyrell's voice gained a tiny streak of sharpness and this rather pathetic display of anger was enough for Hobert to back down.

“My claim...”, he started weakly, though Argella cut him off. “Please, no one cares for your claim”, she said sharply. “My father's claim is almost as strong through blood ties, although, admittedly, they are both pretty weak. In such a situation, Harlen should consider what's best for the kingdom he serves” Her eyes narrowed. “And not at what the most insignificant of his lords wants”

“That's it, you impertinent...!”, Hobert exploded without warning, before he shook his head. “I don't even know why we're talking about this! I have five dozen men in this courtyard!” Tyrell gave him an alarmed look, while Argella simply narrowed her eyes. “Was that a threat, mylord?”, she asked calmly and he stared at her in defiance. “I stated a fact, Lady Durrandon”, he spat. “And you can interpret it any damn way you like”

“I see...”, Argella hissed. “Yes, I have seen the puny force you call your army. Those are all of them, right? Calling them a threat would be as ridiculous as calling you a man, you spineless weasel” She crossed her arms. “But, if you try to provoke me, oh Lord of Mander's Mouth, remember the words of my family. Consider the next question carefully. Do you want to be my enemy?”

Without hesitating, Hobert proved his lack of wit, when he immediately gave her a nod. “Yes”, he barked. “Yes, I think I'd bloody love to be your enemy, you harlot!” His words cut through the air and Lord Tyrell sharply inhaled as he heard them. Willfred tensed up and looked at the princess, who smiled triumphantly. “So be it”, she said sweetly.

For a moment, Hobert hesitated, before he realized that she wasn't saying anything else to this topic. “So...?”, he asked. “What happens now?” Argella's smile got wider. “What do you think is going to happen?”, she asked. “You just declared your intention of being an enemy to the most powerful house in Westeros”

It took Hobert a moment to realize what he had done, though Willfred could see that his pride forbade him to immediately change his mind. A shockwave of conflicting emotions clashed over his face. “I...”, he started to say, though Argella cut him off. “The question you should ask yourself, Lord Hobert, is if this is truly worth it? Becoming an enemy of House Durrandon, just because of your vanity, your arrogance?”

“Arrogance?”, Hobert bellowed. “You have the nerve to lecture me about arrogance? Remind me what they call your father?” Argella sighed mildly. “You're doing it again, mylord”, she warned him, before she looked at Lord Tyrell. “Harlen, can you truly consider giving this man such an honour? He clearly lacks tact”

“You dare?”, Hobert spat, but Tyrell cut him off. “This is quite enough, Lord Hobert!”, he growled loudly, before he sighed and sunk back into his chair, visibly uncomfortable at the situation. “I must agree with Princess Argella on this”, he admitted, much to the princess' obvious pleasure.

“There is more speaking in favour of my father's claim”, Argella answered, as she gave Willfred an encouraging look. Almost gently, she put her hand on top of his and Willfred felt his blood racing through his veins. “Ser Willfred, please”

“Ah, yes!”, Tyrell said. “The support of the Rock. I can assure you, we will take the opinion of our closest ally to mind. In fact, I'd even say your voice will have a lot of weight in this discussion” He smiled encouragingly, while Willfred felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked over it and into the face of his uncle. “Do it”, he told him warmly.

• edited September 2016

Willfred sighed. This was it. The point of no return. He had made his decision and only time would tell if it truly would be for the best. “Lord Tyrell, I feel honoured by this”, he said. “It is a hard decision, so I carefully considered the opinion of my advisers, my uncle Ser Roger Hill and General Tallian” He gulped as he saw Argella's anticipating look. “Ultimately, we have decided not to give our support to the Stormlands”

For a moment, it was silent. Then, Argella reacted. Slowly, the smile on her face grew weaker, as a streak of disbelief and concern claimed her entire expression. “What?”, she asked. “Ser Willfred, I thought we had reached an agreement”

“I am sorry, Princess Argella”, Willfred said wholeheartedly and felt increasingly uncomfortable under her genuinely shocked glare. “You made a generous offer, but in the end, I believe dragging another kingdom into this conflict will not be the right thing to do”

“I... I wanted to help your people”, Argella mumbled softly as she momentarily averted her eyes, before her expression hardened. “So be it. I am sorry for the lives that will be lost as a result of your... decision, but I'm afraid under these circumstances, my father will never agree to send troops to your assistance”

“I hope the future Lord Raylan will do it instead”, Willfred said, much to her displeasure, while Hobert's grin resurfaced. “Excellent!”, he exclaimed and spread his arms. “Truly excellent! Ser, you made the right decision! I accept your apology, welcome back! Welcome back!”

Immediately, Willfred shook his head, this time with a hint of disgust on his face. “Lord Hobert, you misinterpret my refusal of the princess' offer”, he said. “I have no intentions of supporting you, I think I made that one very clear during our last meeting”

It was almost satisfying to watch Hobert's grin fading once anew, while he saw curiosity on the faces of Hobert and Argella. Lady Helenys did not look particularly concerned by his revelation, though Sherryl leant forward, a look of intrigue on her face.

“You think you're clever, don't you, boy?”, Hobert spat. “Well, here's something you should consider: You're not!” He crossed his arms. “Besides, what kind of game do you think you're playing here? There are only two claimants here. Me and Argilac the Arrogant. Do you hope for another option to appear all of a sudden? Another claimant that comes out of nowhere?”

Willfred glared at him, but decided not to answer, in order not to provoke another argument. The gods knew he had been through enough of these for today. “As I said, I am sorry”, Argella swore and even though the look on her face was distant and cold, her voice sounded honest. “But you can't deny that even without the support of the Rock, my father has the strongest arguments here and a claim to support them”

“Do you?”, a voice asked that was equal parts soft and cold. As Willfred moved his head, he realized that Sherryl had spoken, much to the visible surprise of Argella and especially Tariel right next to her. “What do you mean, Sherryl?”, Tariel asked curiously. The princess meanwhile gave her a nod. “Indeed and to know small part thanks to you. Without your friendship with Tariel...”

“My friendship with Tariel is of no concern in this discussion”, Sherryl stated smugly, as she rose from her chair with a certain elegance. “Sherryl?”, Tariel hissed and Willfred realized that this was something else the Storm Princess and her entourage had not seen coming.

“Lord Tyrell, if you'd do me the favour and take a closer look at the proof you have been given”, Sherryl said, as she walked around the table. Tyrell narrowed his eyes, as he glanced down at the open book Ser Emphyrus had given him. “Yes?”, he asked. “I see a family connection between House Raylan and House Durrandon, what do you mean?”

“Sherryl?”, Tariel asked again and Willfred heard that her voice had gotten slightly more shrill, as if the woman was nervous. A quick glance at her confirmed this suspicion, as Willfred noticed her clenched, trembling fists and the hasty raising of her chest, as she took short, irregular breaths.

“Look very carefully”, Sherryl purred as she stepped behind him and next to Ser Elias. The castellan of Highgarden shrugged. “I'm still not seeing it, mylady”, he answered and Sherryl gave Elias a bright smile, which did not seem to move him one bit. “Ser Elias, may I borrow your dagger?”, she asked. The knight glanced at his uncle, who nodded slightly, before he moved his hand to his belt. “Of course”, he answered flatly.

Carefull, Sherryl took the dagger, before she pointed the tip of the blade at the page of the book. Willfred now saw a look of utter disbelief on Tariel's face, while Argella looked genuinely baffled. “Lady Sherryl, what are you...?”, she asked, though Sherryl cut her off as if she wasn't even aware of her presence.

“It's not immediately visible for an untrained eye, but look at the ink after the 'R' in Raylan”, she said and Lord Tyrell leant forward. “Still not seeing it? Well, I can't blame you. After all, it has been forged by a true master” She looked at Tariel, who stared back at her completely mortified, her green eyes opened wide with shock. The princess looked from one woman to the other, visibly confused and, for once, speechless.

“Forged?”, Tyrell asked. “Mylady, what is this...” She cut him off by scratching the tip of the dagger over the parchment. “Just watch”, she said sweetly. While Hobert leaned forwards with interest and a cocky grin, Argella rose from her chair, putting both of her hands onto the table and staring at what just happened. Even Lady Helenys glanced over with interest. The only one who was not trying to get closer to Lord Tyrell and Sherryl was Tariel. The young woman slowly shook her head and Willfred saw tears in her eyes. “Sherryl, what are you doing?”, she asked.

Finally, Sherryl looked up. There was no joy on her face, instead she looked almost sullen. “I'm sorry, Tari”, she answered. “But my conscience forbids me to go along with your plan” Now, Argella's attention instantly shifted towards Tariel. “Plan?”, she barked.

“Oh, dear princess”, Sherryl asked. “It must be a horrible feeling, to know that you've been used by her” She raised the dagger again, having finished to scratch it across the parchment and now, Lord Tyrell's eyes widened. “What is this?”, he asked loudly and pointed at the parchment. “Mylady, what is the meaning of this?”

Willfred finally rose from his chair to get a better look at the book. As he came closer, he saw the source of Tyrell's anger. Carefully, Sherryl had scratched away the ink of the word 'Raylan' in the book, revealing a deeper layer of ink below, older and almost faded. Instead of Raylan, Willfred spotted the word 'Rogers'.

“Malcolm the First never married Kyra Raylan”, Sherryl revealed. “It's true that a Kyra Raylan existed around the same time, but she never married. Instead, King Malcolm, back when he was Prince Malcolm, married Lady Kyra Rogers” Her smile returned, thin and unconvincing. “House Rogers of Amberly. One of the Storm King's minor vassals. Of course the old king disapproved of such a bond, but he allowed it. He would have never done the same if his son intended to marry an insignificant girl from the Reach” She looked at Argella. “You are, as far as I know, completely unrelated to House Raylan. Your father has no legitimate claim”

Tyrell looked at Argella with shock, while the princess shifted her attention to Tariel, who had tears welling up in her eyes. “Tariel, explain what this is about”, Argella hissed sharply and the other woman gulped. “I... I... Princess, this is not...”, she stuttered. Without warning, she jumped up, trying to rush out of the room, though Ser Emphryus was faster. Almost gently, he grabbed her by the shoulders, preventing her from moving. By now, Tariel was sobbing.

“What do you intend of doing with her, my princess?”, the knight asked and Argella sighed. She glanced at Lord Tyrell and then glared at Sherryl, before she looked back at her knight. “Bring Lady Tariel to her room. Make sure she won't leave it. I will deal with this matter in private”, she ordered and Willfred noticed that behind her unwavering confidence, she was highly concerned over what she just learned. “If this is okay for you, Harlen”

Tyrell nodded, though his eyes remained narrowed and he had a slight frown on this face. “You had no idea of this, Princess Argella?”, he asked, to which she immediately gave him a nod. “None”, she answered. “I came to Raylansfair fully convinced that my father has a righteous claim to it” In mild frustration, she shook her head. “I just wonder why Tariel did this”

“She hates this town”, Sherryl revealed quickly. “The way these people treated her is disgusting. Tari is a sweet woman, but everyone has their breaking point. She nurtured a terrible grudge for half a decade” She sighed. “I believe she hoped to rule over this city in your father's name, to rule over all of those who wronged her”

“You have been her friend”, Argella said calmly. “Why have you decided to turn against her?” Sherryl shrugged. “I am her friend”, she claimed. “Back when she approached me with the suggestion to fake your father's claim on Raylansfair, I originally agreed to help, exactly because I am her friend. But then... It appears my conscience proved to be too strong in the end”

Something about her smile caused Willfred to tense up. There was something she did not mention and Argella noticed it as well, judging by her cold glare. “I see”, she muttered. “Harlen, I apologize that I wasted your time. This is embarrassing, for me, my house and the entire kingdom of the Stormlands”

Tyrell gave her a mild nod. “It is alright, Princess Argella”, he assured her. “I hold nothing against you. The way I see it, you have been a victim of your advisor's schemes as well. What do you intend to do with her?” Argella sighed. “I don't know. She'll have to explain this to my... father”, she said and looked up, as if she just realized something.

“Princess Argella, please show mercy to Tariel”, Sherryl urged her softly. “She's not a bad person, simply wounded and... not particularly bright. She does not deserve to die” Irritated, Argella raised an eyebrow. “I can assure you, her death is out of question”, she answered. “There will be a punishment for her actions, but my father will decide on it and I will advice him to show mercy”

As she said this, she frowned. “Harlen, of course I will revoke my earlier words. House Durrandon will no longer claim this city. Thankfully, Lady Sherryl prevented us from doing a grievous mistake”, she said and glanced at Willfred. “And now, without the support of the Rock, I am afraid I won't be able to bring anything to the table that could convince you to change your mind”, she added.

To this comment, Hobert let out a snorting laugh. “Changing his mind?”, he barked. “Can you get any worse? Show some dignity in defeat, girl” He patted his own chest. “It appears, there is only one claimant left” He smiled widely at Sherryl. “Mylady, you have my gratitude”

“Actually, there is something else”, Sherryl revealed, as she reached into the small bag that dangled on her belt. She pulled a scroll out of it and handed it over to Lord Tyrell. The lord unfurled it and raised his eyebrows. “This looks like an exact copy of Hobert's evidence to me”, he said and Sherryl shook her head. “It is newer, written by Archmaester Quent”, she said. “And it has a key difference to Hobert's version. Look at his supposed relation to House Raylan”

“Lynesse Raylan”, Tyrell read loudly. “Married to Lord Gerris Lowther during the nineteenth year of the reign of King Garth the Twelfth” He frowned as he continued. “Died childless just a year later. Afterwards, Lord Gerris Lowther married Lady Rena Fossoway in the first year of the reign of King Garth the Thirteenth, and she gave birth to their son Loras during the same year”

He stared at Hobert, who had a deep frown on his face. “Lord Hobert, have you brought forth a fake claim as well?”, he asked and Hobert narrowed his eyes. “No...”, he growled, before he glared at Sherryl. “No!” He jumped up, though Elias Tyrell was there to hold him back. “You scheming whore!”, he screamed. “You told me you'd give me Raylansfair! You promised!”

Sherryl's smile grew colder as it grew wider. She leant forwards, close towards the angry lord, who was still struggling in Elias Tyrell's grip. “Liar”, she whispered, as Hobert let out a growl of anger. It was enough to even make the Storm Princess smirk with amusement. “You should show some dignity in defeat, Lord Hobert”, she answered.

Hobert glared at her viciously, just before Lord Tyrell heavily slammed his hand onto the table, causing everyone in the room to flinch back from him. This sudden, uncharacteristic outburst of anger was enough for him to suddenly appear almost terrifying. “This is enough, both of you!”, he barked, before he looked at his nephew. “Elias, please escort Lord Hobert out of this room”

Instead of backing down immediately, Hobert's anger was strong enough for one final act of defiance. Glaring at Tyrell, he clenched his fists. “You're throwing me out?”, he asked. “Me, Harlen? No! No, you fucking won't! I'll leave, that's it! And I'll take my men with me, right now!”

He broke free of Elias' grip, as he looked over his shoulder. “Malkolm, with me”, he barked. “May you all rot in the Seven Hells, liars, schemers and cowards you are!” With these words, he rushed out of the door, with Malkolm following quietly.

For a second, everyone was silent. Then, Argella delicately looked at Sherryl, even though Willfred could see the anger in her eyes. “So, now that you have presented evidence that neither of us actually has a rightful claim to this town, why don't you present us the candidate you're really supporting?”, she asked.

Sherryl grinned at her. “How sharp of mind you are”, she complimented her. “Yes, there is a real heir to Raylansfair” When she was sure that she had everyone's attention, she put on a winning smile. “I have information that Lord Raylan named a successor in his last will”

“Information?”, Argella asked coldly and Sherryl gave her a nod. “Harris has revealed many secrets to me”, she answered. “Including the fact that Robert Raylan named none other than Manfred Hightower as his heir”

“Hightower!”, Tyrell exclaimed. “But... they hated each other!” Sherryl gave him a nod. “Yet still, my contacts are currently trying to reclaim the last will of Lord Raylan, which should prove that I speak the truth”, she answered. “Right now, I am in the process of informing one of his agents of the current situation in Raylansfair, the most venerable Ser Maron Mullendore”

Something changed as she said this, especially in Argella's behaviour. The Storm Princess tensed up all of a sudden, as her calm mask fell, revealing genuine fury underneath. “You clever bitch”, she mumbled tonelessly. “Maron Mullendore... You have been planning this all along, haven't you? Using Tariel, using me and Hobert...”

“I just complimented your sharp mind, princess”, Sherryl revealed with a cold smile. “I'd hate to correct myself, so I'd advice you to keep your pretty mouth shut” She mockingly raised an eyebrow, while Argella glared at her in helpless anger. Tyrell seemed to notice it and he sighed regretfully, which caused him to sink even deeper into his chair. “Princess Argella, I am afraid I must ask of you to leave the room”, he said. “The same goes to you, Ser Willfred and to you, Lady Helenys, as well as to Ser Roger. I believe the following information should be kept between me and Lady Sherryl”

“I understand”, Argella said coldly, her voice so calm that Willfred was sure she was only barely able to hold back on her anger. “I'm going to leave you two alone then” She rose from her chair and turned around without another word. Willfred looked after her, as Sherryl regained his attention. “Ser Willfred, I will inform Ser Maron about about your mission. While I can't make any promises, I will try my best to get him to see your struggle. Ser Maron is a good man, with a lot of compassion. Be not afraid, help for your people is on the way”

Something about her made it hard to believe her, though Willfred gave her a nod and a polite smile anyway. Then, Sherryl turned to Helenys. “Mylady Helenys, I can assure you that your offer is of utmost interest for Ser Maron and Lord Hightower”, she told her. “Remain in Raylansfair and I am sure he will find good use for you and your talents” A pleases smile formed on Helenys' face. “Then tell Ser Maron that I look forward to speak to him”, she answered, as she left the room alongside Willfred and Roger, herself the only one who actually won something today. Aside from Sherryl maybe.

While Helenys left with only a small nod towards Willfred, Princess Argella was still standing in the hallway, trembling with anger. One Willfred had closed the door behind him, she glared at him and he sighed. “Look, princess, I am so...”

“You fool”, she cut himself off, speaking in a low growl. “You reckless fool, do you have any idea what you did today?” To this comment, Willfred raised an eyebrow in surprise. “What I did?”, he asked. “To me it seems as if I kept the option to help my kingdom, by remaining neutral today”

“That's exactly what I mean”, Argella answered. “You truly think you helped your people today? No, the only ones you helped today are Sherryl and Maron Mullendore” She spoke the last name like a curse, which gained Willfred's curiosity. “Is there anything I should know about this man?”, he asked and Argella gave him a nod. “Yes there is!”, she snarled. “Though I'm afraid I'd sound like a madwoman if I'd tell you. You have to speak to Ser Lucas, he's the one that suffered at his hands, he's the one that can tell you”

“Ser Lucas?”, Willfred asked, before he realized whom she meant. “The crippled knight!” Argella narrowed her eyes with silent anger. “Congratulations”, she said. “Today, you gave this city to Maron Mullendore” Willfred raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Me?”, he asked. “The way I see it, I simply did not support you. That's your problem, isn't it? That somebody else won this time. Besides, you were the one presenting false evidence to Lord Tyrell! My support wouldn't have changed a thing!”

“Oh and it would have!”, Argella answered loudly. “Don't you realize how much Harlen respects your opinion? With your support, I would have still been able to convince him, I know it. But no, you had to waste your only chance to make things better and for what? To see me fail? Do you have so little trust in me?”

“Frankly, after what happened today, I do not know how much I can still trust you”, Willfred claimed. “I had to do what is best for my people” Argella shook her head in frustration. “I gave you the most generous offer I was able to give”, she claimed. “I wanted to help your people. I still want to help them, because they don't deserve to suffer because of your unfathomable stupidity”

With these words, she took a step closer and grabbed his forearm, heavily glaring at him. “But thanks to you, you fool, I no longer have the chance to help”, she hissed, before she let go of him. By now, Willfred realized just how serious she was and he slowly felt fear. Had he ruined it? Had he truly fucked up so much? This Maron Mullendore couldn't possibly be that bad, could he?

The princess turned around and started to walk down the hallway. After a few steps, she stopped. “Whatever you do, please, don't trust Maron Mullendore. For your people”, she said and she sounded way softer than before. She looked over her shoulder with genuine sadness. “Farewell, Red Lion”, she whispered.

No Choices for this part

• Plot twist!

Ah damnit not Horbert.

If we supported Argella, would the same thing happen?

You know who is a real sucker? Lucas. That man hasn't even been on Argella's side for a day, and BAM! He's on the losing side. Guess it's what happens when you don't wait it out...Tsk tsk tsk, poor Lucas. Guess Leonard is the still the best, around. Sadly, now that good ol' Mullendore is coming, he might not need a death warrant to get screwed up.

Maybe if Harris were still around this wouldn't be like this, yikes.

We need the Donnel to come in and save the day.

You know, there's something more disconcerting about the events of this part. Much more disconcerting than the rest. It's not that there's lies, lies everything. It's not that Maron Mullendore is coming to town, going to get what he wants, no, no. More and more soldiers are leaving. That's not good...really not good...

Willfred sighed. This was it. The point of no return. He had made his decision and only time would tell if it truly would be for the best. “

• If we supported Argella, would the same thing happen?

Absolutely not, this was one of the most major choices in this chapter, perhaps even in the entirety of Book 1. With Willfred's continuing support, Argella would have managed to reach a temporary agreement with Lord Tyrell, who is a pragmatist at heart. This would have resulted in her actually winning this diplomatic battle, even though there would have been more twists later on that would have posed additional challenges for her. I can't tell you much about what is going to happen now and what would have happened if you would have supported Argella, but a while ago you asked me a question, if you ever made a truly bad choice that had no good consequences at all. I can now already reveal, Willfred's decision to remain neutral, to support neither Hobert nor Argella, was one of these decisions. In some situations, it is better to support the devil you know. I was actually a bit surprised by this strategy the votes seemed to follow. First a majority of you decided to ally with Harris, then you screwed him over, which strengthened Argella's position, only to deny her the most vital support in a crucial situation. This indecisiveness ultimately only helped the very decisive Maron Mullendore.

You know who is a real sucker? Lucas. That man hasn't even been on Argella's side for a day, and BAM! He's on the losing side. Guess it's what happens when you don't wait it out...Tsk tsk tsk, poor Lucas. Guess Leonard is the still the best, around. Sadly, now that good ol' Mullendore is coming, he might not need a death warrant to get screwed up.

Actually, Lucas still is directly sworn to the heiress of the most powerful kingdom in Westeros, who on top of that seems to have a bit of a soft spot for him. It can't possible be bad to have such a powerful friend. With Willfred's decision to remain neutral, Lucas' situation would have been way more dire if he wouldn't have supported Argella, since he would have continued to be without allies. This situation actually applies to Leonard right now, who has no powerful protector. It can only be hoped that he will find one when the time comes.

Maybe if Harris were still around this wouldn't be like this, yikes.

Indeed, with Harris there would have been one strong leader able to oppose anyone who would be a threat to Raylansfair. Hobert and Argella would have been questionable threats, since neither of them has any actual bad intentions, but Mullendore obviously is a very real threat. And Mullendore knows how dangerous Harris could have been. This is why he made all of these elaborate plans to bring him down and so far, even Lucas and Leonard have played their parts in his scheme. But anyways, if Harris would have still been around, this part would have been a major turning point for him. He would have finally realized how much Sherryl manipulated him and he would have taken every possible step to prepare his city against the danger she and Mullendore would undoubtedly pose, which could have started a bit of a redemption arc for him. Now, he's just as helpless as Argella to actually stop what is coming.

We need the Donnel to come in and save the day.

He's going to make Raylansfair great again. And as of this part, he has officially been name-dropped in the story, which means he eventually is going to appear. I don't know if he's going to save the day, but he's going to be damn enjoyable to write =)

You know, there's something more disconcerting about the events of this part. Much more disconcerting than the rest. It's not that there's lies, lies everything. It's not that Maron Mullendore is coming to town, going to get what he wants, no, no. More and more soldiers are leaving. That's not good...really not good...

That is an important thing you noticed there. Hobert is going to gather his men to leave at once, in the very hour, while Argella is going to remain for another few days, before planning to make her leave way more dignified than him. But after she left as well, this indeed means that a hundred fighting men, able to defend Raylansfair from any potential danger, would be all gone.

Plot twist! Ah damnit not Horbert. If we supported Argella, would the same thing happen? You know who is a real sucker? Lucas. That

• I have one thought on my mind. Leonard Constantine is FUCKED!
    If Mullendore really wants him dead, I don't see what's stopping him now.

"Today you gave this city to Maron Mullendore"

My reaction to this "Fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!!"

Saera and Jenna are looking to undermine Sherryl so hopefully there is hope.

Man, If I was Lucas or Leonard right now I'd be getting the hell out of here. They are NOT safe here if Mullendore takes the city.

So given my strong reaction, this was obviously a fantastic part.

Willfred sighed. This was it. The point of no return. He had made his decision and only time would tell if it truly would be for the best. “

Sign in to comment in this discussion.