Changing Opinions

edited January 2018 in The Walking Dead

aka What once was barbecue, is now some berries:

It's funny how fast time goes by and how much things are changed by it. One thing that changes with time is an opinion: movies like Return of the Jedi are appreciated now more than they were when they first premiered, while movies like Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are now view in an unfavorable light.

Given that the Walking Dead Series has been around for half of decade with more installments on the way, is there something you like now that you disliked originally? Is there a character you were a fan of when they first appeared but are welcomed with an upturned nose today? Tell us who, what, and why!

Comments

• edited November 2016

Improved
    Mike-Was relatively indifferent at first, but really like him now that I've had time to analyze him for what he was/could've been. It probably helps that I've used him to unofficially make my personal weakest episode as strong as it should be.

Diminished
    Kenny-Was positively neutral for the longest time, but I've grown to resent him a bit since June. My opinions of him(if any) in Season 1 have snuck outta the building, unfortunately. I've written/cobbled an entire post on my Thoughts of Season 2's Writing about him.

• During the first few episodes in which they appeared, I…

• Liked Kenny ("A New Day")

• Disliked Lilly ("A New Day," "Starved For Help," "Long Road Ahead")

• Disliked Jane ("Amid The Ruins")

• Disliked Arvo ("Amid The Ruins," "No Going Back")

I am not that person.

• Why are some of the names crossed out?

DabigRG posted: »

Improved Mike-Was relatively indifferent at first, but really like him now that I've had time to analyze him for what he was/could've been.

• edited October 2016

Back in Season 1 I used to dislike Lilly and Larry in their first appearances, but after some time I've come to understand them more as I looked in their characters from a different perspective. I've forgiven them both for their actions, and I've come to sympathies with Lilly's role in Season 1 and consider her one of my favorite characters of the Telltale series.

As for Season 2 while I still don't care for Jane and her inclusion in the cast overshadowing other characters, I don't really hate her as much as I did in the past as I had discovered some different sides of her that helped me understand her actions more.

Kenny, however, became insufferable and intolerable in Season 2. His actions and behavior had diminished whatever respect I had of him in Season 1. I wouldn't have found his so unlikable if it wasn't for my suspicion that the writers in Season 2 had really favored him over other characters to the point where he could be perceived as a wish-fulfillment archetype who garnered way more credit and attention than he really deserved.

Luke deserves a special mention as I have been rooting for him since his debut, but as time went on I realized that Luke was so lacking in character and depth, and was grossly underutilized for a major character, I had felt that the writers genuinely struggled to find a justification for his existence in Season 2. So much could have been done with him, and yet he was just there with little to no relevance to the story at all.

• Improved
    Jane - Was a bit angry she left at first, now I accept it was her choice to make.
    Kenny - was always a fan but now I think he is one of the best written characters in videogame history imo
    Nick - Still not a huge fan but dont hate him as much as I did at first.
    Carley - Didn't like her at first, didn't like how she was in Lee's business. After multiple playthroughs, I consider saving Doug over her quite easily the worst decision I have made.

Diminished
    Sarah - was one of my favourite season 2 characters at first for some reason. Still like her but suffers from the same problems most cabin group members do, such as an unsatisfying death and character arc.
    Luke - was never a Luke fan but now I realise just how lame his character is.

• Plan_RPlan_R Banned
    edited October 2016

Most improved
    Larry, I have grown to have deep appreciation for Larry over the years. He knew Lee was a convicted killer and was now raising a child that was not his. That is a scary thought, imagine you ran into a a semi-famous murderer who was supposed to be protecting a child. I get why Larry did what he did. He was a jerk no doubt about it, but I have come around on him.

Most Diminished
    Luke, I really liked Luke at first, but with each subsequent play through I find him much less tolerable. That guy shouldn't be in charge of guarding a warm glass of piss much less be in charge of an entire group.

• So I can talk about them all later when I find the time to elaborate.

Bon-Bon posted: »

Why are some of the names crossed out?

• Definitely agree on Larry, plus he played his role really well.

Plan_R posted: »

Most improved Larry, I have grown to have deep appreciation for Larry over the years. He knew Lee was a convicted killer and was now raisin

• I am not that person.

..Who...?

During the first few episodes in which they appeared, I… * Liked Kenny ("A New Day") * Disliked Lilly ("A New Day," "Starved For Hel

• Improved
    Jane- Some of the extra extra extra hate is now easy to chalk up to bad(read:Poorly thought out or implemented) writing decisions rather than any conscious traits of her character. Still do not like who she is, but not as much as back in June.

Diminished
    Andy St. John-Might be a product of my first experience with Season 1 being years ago(Goodness, I'm old) but any favor he might've had than is gone now. It really doesn't help that he seems more and more transparent every time I see that episode. Brenda is still awesome, though.

• Improved
    Kenny - I shot him and left with Jane simply for the selfish reason of surviving. I felt Clem's best chance was with Jane. But in all TTWD games the only real regret was killing Kenny.
    He had his issues but who wouldn't and he would Never harm Clem.

Diminshed
    Larry - To me it was a simple decision. He tried to kill Lee by knocking him out leaving him for the zombs. He had to go. I knew Lilly would be an issue and I understand that, but for me to live she would be better off gone.

• What once was barbecue, is now some berries

What does that mean?

• Basically, a terrible food metaphor to describe old feelings(Cannibalism is bad) and new feelings(Berries are worth killing over). I couldn't think of a better name.

Ekelund21 posted: »

What once was barbecue, is now some berries What does that mean?

• Gotcha.

Basically, a terrible food metaphor to describe old feelings(Cannibalism is bad) and new feelings(Berries are worth killing over). I couldn't think of a better name.

• Haha, what's with all your crazy thread names?

Basically, a terrible food metaphor to describe old feelings(Cannibalism is bad) and new feelings(Berries are worth killing over). I couldn't think of a better name.

• Trying to keep things memorable when I can't think of a name? Just whatever I feel like doing, honestly.

Acheive250 posted: »

Haha, what's with all your crazy thread names?

• Hmmm...let's see.

I remember liking Kenny as soon as he appeared...yep that hasn't changed.
    I remember hating Lilly and Larry as soon as they appeared.....yep that hasn't changed.
    I remember liking Luke as soon as he appeared....yep that hasn't changed.
    I didn't dislike Jane from the start. In fact I found it kinda cool that an angry loner cared for Clem. But I hated her after I learned about her plans and now I don't like her at all during any scene when I'm replaying.
    I remember hating Arvo......yep that hasn't changed.

Yep not much! :P

• Rashid and Vanessa.

I am not that person. ..Who...?

• Oh okay.

Who?

Rashid and Vanessa.

• Cannibalism is bad

I'll take this opportunity to invite anybody reading to tell me what is inherently wrong about cannibalism among humans. I refer solely about cannibalism, not murder or manslaughter.

• Rashid, and Vanessa.

Oh okay. .... Who?

• You think eating people is okay?

That's enough Walking Dead for you.

Cannibalism is bad I'll take this opportunity to invite anybody reading to tell me what is inherently wrong about cannibalism among humans. I refer solely about cannibalism, not murder or manslaughter.

• I am asking what is inherently wrong about cannibalism; why it would be immoral for a group of stranded people to eat the flesh of somebody who is already dead when the alternative is to starve. I'm not condoning eating people on a regular basis!

I'm looking forward to a bit of discussion on this!

You think eating people is okay? That's enough Walking Dead for you.

• Yeah! Now shut up and eat your Chinese!

You think eating people is okay? That's enough Walking Dead for you.

• edited October 2016

Because it's... Eating people is... It's wrong and disgusting.

Also... Just a question, do you think Mark's legs looked tasty...?

I am asking what is inherently wrong about cannibalism; why it would be immoral for a group of stranded people to eat the flesh of somebody

• I think I found the hidden message in that.

Yeah! Now shut up and eat your Chinese!

• Yep, you probably did. After all, who doesn't like to eat out?

I think I found the hidden message in that.

• Hahaha, you did it again.

Yep, you probably did. After all, who doesn't like to eat out?

• And now that we've gotten the sauce, we take our eggroll and go.

Hahaha, you did it again.

• edited October 2016

No, I usually get my inferences dead on the money.

• Cannibalism has gotten a bad rep, just dab some hot sauce and sprinkle a little salt and viola!

You've got a delicious meal!

I am asking what is inherently wrong about cannibalism; why it would be immoral for a group of stranded people to eat the flesh of somebody

• Bonnie before:
    I actually thought Bonnie was kinda a druggie that just wanted to be safe like anyother survivor. That is why I never really thought that she wasn't that terrible for talking d's husband in the 400 days. She was simply doing that for security because if d's husband wasn't entertained by Bonnie i'm sure that he wouldn't pick her up in the first place or parted way, atleast what I think Bonnie was thinking.

During Howes, this need of security was shown in Harm's Way when she said" it's better to fix something that is broken" . Also, Bonnie was willing to stay at Howes even when Luke escaped the first time, she knew that Carver's a psycho. Carver has the food and the walls. Why would she leave?

Finally, she left Clem because Kenny was out of control like Carver, but didn't have the resources and security that Carver had. Bonnie saw that Mike and Arvo who both opposed him. And she set her way on a situation that at the time was better: leaving Kenny and Clem.

Bonnie Now:

I think everyone is overlooking this one major detail: Bonnie has a preexisting relationship with all of the 400 days group members. She spent about a month out in the woods and spent many months with them at Howes. And she followed though with a plan with the herd KNOWING THAT IT WOULD KILL ALL OF THEM. Bonnie never even reflected on that choice she just did it.BONNIE IS THE BIGGEST MONSTER IN THE WALKING DEAD UNIVERSE.

• I'm surrounded by freaks...

(I know you're just joking... Right?)

Cannibalism has gotten a bad rep, just dab some hot sauce and sprinkle a little salt and viola! You've got a delicious meal!

• I'm partial to a nice liver with a chianti and some fava beans.

I'm surrounded by freaks... (I know you're just joking... Right?)

• “Get. Out.”

Cannibalism has gotten a bad rep, just dab some hot sauce and sprinkle a little salt and viola! You've got a delicious meal!

• Improved
    Arvo-Was negatively neutral for the longest time, but I've grown to see him as a welcome addition to the game since June. While he does still have a few problems with his role that I thought couldn't been better, his reminiscence to the more sympathetic/understandable Villains of Season 1(besides maybe Danny and Oberson) in conjunction with the [barely tapped] potential for his group in Season 2's more uncertain tone has made him a very welcome change of pace from the likes of Carver(and apparently to some, Kenny) in my eyes. The fact that he could be seen as a shadow archetype to Clementine, Sarah, and Ben doesn't hurt either.

Diminished
    Russell-When I first played 400 Days, I really wanted to say I liked him, but now that I've had time to realize that he was basically an after school special protagonist, I'm relatively indifferent. And honestly, Nate isn't even that much higher than Russell himself in that regard despite fitting much better in this setting,. It probably doesn't help that I've only played 400 Days once or twice and even back then, I didn't really get some of the extreme opinions I've seen that insist most of these characters should've been Clementine's group in Season 2, especially when the ending was pretty telegraphed in my opinion; though I'd probably welcome Becca, Tavia, and Bonnie returning before those two since I felt they were the characters that had the most to add to the main series, I would've rather had Season 2 stuck to creating its own characters and tell its own stories rather than living off too much nostalgia, "fanservice," and pandering to Season 1.(coughcough) Still better than Wyatt and Eddie, though.

• edited June 2017

Really now?

• Carley - Didn't like her at first, didn't like how she was in Lee's business. After multiple playthroughs, I consider saving Doug over her quite easily the worst decision I have made.

Mind explaining why?

wdfan posted: »

Improved Jane - Was a bit angry she left at first, now I accept it was her choice to make. Kenny - was always a fan but now I think he is

• Also, Mad Cow DIsease is a thing.

• Kenny -
    I was first presented to this game through the playthrough of a certain youtuber who sided with Kenny throughout Season 1 (funnly enough, she hated him in Season 2). She even got him to conditionally go with her at the end of episode 4 (and oh boi, the shit you have to do to get that!), therefore my first impression of Kenny was a good one, a very good one. I liked him at this point.
    Then, I moved on to the The Walking Dead wikia, and that was the first time I got involved with the Telltale community. Hardcore pizza vs ice cream shit was going on. Well, your first tendency in this sort of situation is to pick a side. And so I did. I defended the pizza throughout the whole Season, until the very end (and don't ask me how, I just did). At this point, I really liked Kenny, like, hardcore liking.
    The Season ended, I was with Kenny in the icy woods, and life moved on. I joined this wonderful thing called telltale.com, and started having discussions here and all and I lernt this beautiful thing called: FUCKING UNBIAS YOURSELF (ty so much forums <333). Still, this wasn't really when I started disliking Kenny, but with my focusing on Thrones and Tales the fanatic liking of him started to wear off (thankfully) and I finally decided to change my ending to the alone ending, because it just felt more right. At this point, I was pretty 'meh' toward him.
    Finally, end of 2015, Thrones and Tales was over, and it was time to focus on The Walking Dead. I replayed that shit with my brand new less bias and more critical thinking and finally realised how beautiful Luke is what an asshole Kenny is. Then I had many, many passionate discussions againt him here. It wasn't gradual, it just happened and I'm thankfull it did. Now, I dislike Kenny quite a lot. (and btw, changed my ending to Jane w/out the family).

Bonnie -
    At first, I liked Bonnie's story (and her character) in 400 days. it was my favourite story and protagonist, solely because it was a more original and interesting theme than the rest ('Hurrrr, dhurrrrr!! Begining of the apocalypse!!! Hurrr, dhurrrrr!! Negan 2.0!'). I was fond of her.
    Then, Season 2 episode 1. I wasn't like 'Ommmggggg, bonnie u bitxxx betrayed usss!', I was pretty 'meh' about it. I do remember disliking seeing Clementine smilling towards her in the preview, though. I had a slight dislike here.
    In In Harm's Way everything got went cool. The fact that everyone seemed so angsty about her character even after In Harm's Way probably motivated me to like her even more (now, I don't make my decisions in order to stay in the minority, but it feels good when you're there).** I liked her again.**
    Then Amid The Ruins happened and I don't know what hit me, but she made it to my top #1 character. That's right, my favourite character for Season 2 was Bonnie (maybe still is, I dunno). I liked her, even more hardcore than Kenny.
    My opinion stood like that even after No Going Back. She was the main reason I chose to ask to leave with Mike. Nowdays, I still like her character very much. She's complex and human. I like that.

Jane -
    I didn't pay much attention to her character at first. I guess I thought she was ok after Amid The Ruins.
    Then Jane vs Kenny happened, and here's the twist: my opinion toward her stood the same. I didn't care. I was too 'oml im alone with Kanny, yeyeyeyyeyeyeyeyye!!!' so I guess I just forgot her character existed?
    Then after Thrones and Tales, when I replayed, I paid more attention to every character (instead of being just like 'KENNYKENNYKENNYKENNYKENNY' the whole time, ya know?). I liked her, I finally understood her character her actions because I finally gave a shit. Now, I like her a lot.

AJ -

Carley -

Clementine -

Carver -

Omid -

Alvin -

Wyatt and Eddie -

Nate -

Vicki Vale - At first I was like 'ur ok c:', and now I'm like 'HOLY CRAP YOU'RE AWESOME!!'.

I'll finish this later...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.