Unofficial Story Generator Questions Thread

edited December 2016 in The Walking Dead

Good day, person reading this thread!

All of us were curious as to what questions the Story Generator would present us with—and they have arrived! Here is a list of all the questions that have been found thus far. Notice that they do not aim at knowing what your choices were, but, rather, they try to get an accurate grip on who your Clementine is and what she stands for.

I improvised titles for them to keep this clearer!

The first questions, Lesson, Fate, Companionship and Direction, are asked to everybody. Kenny, Luke and Jane are asked to you depending on who you chose in Companionship. Others, that is Howe's and Wellington, can be asked depending on what you chose in Direction. There are rarer questions that are asked only to a handful of conflicted players; Resources vs People, Rebecca, Conflict, Water, Theft and Groups.

Take a look at them, and afterwards you may be inclined to sharing what you answers were, in the comments! This little thread has potential to ignite lots of discussions.

Lesson

Lesson

In The Walking Dead Season 1, Clementine met Lee after she lost her family and home. He protected Clem and taught her the importance of…

Community
The only hope people have for the future is to help each other.

Justice
Without a code, how can you trust anyone?

Survival
Even a child should be able to defend herself from danger.

Self-Reliance
In the end, the only one you can count on is yourself.

Fate I
Fate II

Fate

Clem and Lee travelled to Savannah, where Lee sacrificed himself to save her. As he lay dying, Lee begged Clem to…

Leave Him to Turn
A bullet might have been the most merciful, but Clem couldn't bring herself to shoot her friend.

Shoot Him
Although Lee was all Clem had left in the world, she summoned her resolve and ended his suffering.

Companionship

Companionship

After Lee's death, Clem found more survivors. People who helped her, such as…

Kenny
Kenny never gave up. His endless determination helped keep Clementine alive.

Luke
Luke always had a smile for Clementine. No matter what, his kindness persevered.

Jane
Jane showed Clementine that she had to make hard choices to put her own safety first.

Kenny

Kenny

Clementine remembered the joy she felt when she was reunited with Kenny. He showed her that survival depended on…

Honesty
Even when it didn't help him, Kenny was honest. He always let you know where he stood.

Determination
Never surrender. No matter what the odds.

Family
Family isn't always blood. But it's the reason you keep going.

Luke

Luke

In Luke, she found a friend, who taught her the value of…

Compassion
Luke's kindness saved Clem's life more than once.

Cooperation
There is strength in numbers. Strength… and survival.

Trust
Trust is paramount in friendships, relationships and survival.

Jane

Jane

In Jane, Clementine found a mentor. Jane's jaded perspective and sometimes ruthless behavior emphasized the importance of…

Survival
If you're not breathing, nothing else matters. Do what's necessary. Stay alive.

Cunning
In a world of constant danger, don't take anyone at their word. Nothing is as it seems.

Independence
Don't rely on others. You need to get by on your own, because that's probably how you'll end up.

Direction

Direction

Thanks to her companions, Clem's journey ultimately led her to…

Howe's Hardware
Jane and Clem returned to the former location of Carver's group.

Wellington
Kenny and Clem went north. Somewhere cold enough to slow down the walkers.

Travel Alone
The best way to keep AJ safe was to do it on her own.

Howe's

Howe's

As they settled into Howe's, Clem and Jane were approached by a starving family. Clem decided to…

Turn Them Away
Trust isn't something you can afford to give to strangers.

Let Them In
Walkers don't have mercy, but people still should.

Wellington

Wellington

At Wellington, the community would not allow Kenny in. Clem decided to…

Enter Wellington
Clem made the tough choice to stay in Wellington without Kenny. It was best for AJ, she told herself.

Leave with Kenny
Clem refused to enter without Kenny. They had been through far too much together.

Resources vs People

Resources vs People

Clem learned the hard way that survival depended on…

Resources
Food, water, ammo: without them, survival is impossible.

People
Things can be replaced. People can't.

Rebecca

Rebecca

It never got any easier. Clem remembers how she stopped AJ's dead mother from biting him during an ambush, but drawing her gun risked angering their attackers. Clem chose to…

Shoot
There's no time to do anything else when a baby's life is at stake.

Call for Help
Snap decisions are often a bad idea, especially during a tense standoff.

Conflict I
Conflict II
Conflict III

Conflict

Clem tried her best to manage conflicts with other armed survivors. Whenever possible, she would…

Negotiate
People tend to listen when they may have something to gain.

Plead for Restraint
Injured or dead group members means more danger and less protection.

Appeal to Humanity
Clem hoped that the presence of the baby would calm things down.

Water

Water

A man who had once threatened Clem's life was dying of thirst. He begged Clem for a drink of water. Clem…

Refused
Water is a precious resource, and a murderous bandit doesn't deserve it.

Shared
There is always room for small mercies. Besides, a living man has a lot more information than a dead one.

Theft

Theft

More than once Clem was faced with the choice to take supplies from others to help a friend. She would…

Take From Others
When it's “us or them,” Clem chose her friend.

Refuse to Steal
Clem wasn't raised to take things that didn't belong to her.

groups

Groups

Jane once asked why Clem bothered staying with a group at all. Clem told her…

Friends Can Be Helpful
When others can rely on you, it usually means you can count on them, too.

Being Alone is Dangerous
Surviving on your own comes with its own risks.

Be sure to check out the thread Season 3 Story Recreation - Telltale's 42 Starting Points and All Differences by @Davissons! It shows that the forty-two starting points were legitimate, and tells you how to fall into each of the bundles!

[As Good As A Makeshift Button Gets]

Comments

• edited December 2016

I love how emo Kenny and Jane look in the Direction panels. Also, how "fitting" of them to say that Clem learned the hard way that survival depended on people with a picture of her pulling up Jane ...after leaving Sarah.

• edited December 2016

I know that it can also ask you if you stole from other people or not (the image on that one depicts Jane pointing a gun at Arvo with Clem in the middle of the two). Here (3:16).

My story generator choices:

1. Lesson: Either Self-Reliance or Justice.
    2. Fate: Shot Him.
    3. Companionship: Jane.
    4. Jane: Cunning.
    5. Direction: Howe's Hardware.
    6. Howe's: Turn Them Away.
    7. Resources vs People: People.
    8. Rebecca: Shot.
    9. Conflict: Negotiate (I actually don't think my Clem fits either since I did not choose the "We have a baby option" nor the other one.)
    10. Water: Show Compassion (although compassion was not really what motivated me, but the knowledge the man could've given me.)
    11. Theft: Refuse to Steal.
    12. Groups: Being alone is dangerous.

My cluster is: Independent Spirit! Ayyyyy.

In Season 2, a determined Clementine did what she felt necessary, regardless of others' opinions. When Kenny and Jane's infighting put everyone at risk, Clem reluctantly (lol no) shot Kenny to save Jane's life. Clem, AJ, and Jane then returned to Howe's, where they refused to let in a family of strangers.

• nice! thanks for posting these! :)

• edited December 2016

I made a thread here detailing a lot of specifics about the story generator: blarg.

Also, there's a really rare question that you can only get once depending on which route you take. It's a question from Jane to Clementine on why she stays with a group. You can say it's safe with a group or it's dangerous to be alone. There's also a question on whether you think it's right to steal from others, but I forgot to screenshot that.

enter image description here

• I rolled my eyes when I saw that picture with the description.

Sure, survival depended on people who didn't bother to lift a finger and just watched as one of their own were killed by walkers literally ten feet below their feet.

DabigRG posted: »

I love how emo Kenny and Jane look in the Direction panels. Also, how "fitting" of them to say that Clem learned the hard way that survival depended on people with a picture of her pulling up Jane ...after leaving Sarah.

• For context, you only get that exact scenario if you left Sarah in the trailer, as the walkers completely ignore Jane otherwise...for some reason.

RichWalk23 posted: »

I rolled my eyes when I saw that picture with the description. Sure, survival depended on people who didn't bother to lift a finger and just watched as one of their own were killed by walkers literally ten feet below their feet.

• Clementine looks like a giant there. Seriously, she's thicker than Jane!

Davissons posted: »

I made a thread here detailing a lot of specifics about the story generator: blarg. Also, there's a really rare question that you can onl

• Ah, I see what you mean now.

And it doesn't make that statement any better at all, knowing this.

For context, you only get that exact scenario if you left Sarah in the trailer, as the walkers completely ignore Jane otherwise...for some reason.

• I was about to say that the juxtaposition of those two situations, that involve Jane in one way or the other, is the reason why that was my favorite question.

I rolled my eyes when I saw that picture with the description. Sure, survival depended on people who didn't bother to lift a finger and just watched as one of their own were killed by walkers literally ten feet below their feet.

• Because they're as hypocritical and/or self-defeating as Jane herself? :joy:

I was about to say that the juxtaposition of those two situations, that involve Jane in one way or the other, is the reason why that was my favorite question.

• Go the hell, Conrad!

Because they're as hypocritical and/or self-defeating as Jane herself?

• Holy shit, I didn't even notice that!:joy:

But in the context of the reference, he's aiming at Vitali.

• edited December 2016

Thank you for bringing the Arvo choice to my attention, Iron!

By the way, more choices have been found.

I know that it can also ask you if you stole from other people or not (the image on that one depicts Jane pointing a gun at Arvo with Clem i

• For sure!

ash2ashes posted: »

nice! thanks for posting these!

• I've just looked into your thread, and I have to say that's amazing work!

Would you mind telling me what the description for "Being Alone is Dangerous" is? I'd like to list the question above as well!

Davissons posted: »

I made a thread here detailing a lot of specifics about the story generator: blarg. Also, there's a really rare question that you can onl

• Rashid and Vanessa in the bushes?

• He's prepared to gutshoot Arvo if he tries to rob them?

How is Luke even aiming?

• Jane didn't advocate for leaving Sarah out of selfishness, though.

From what I've gathered, and from what would realistically be the case, Jane truly did not believe there was a way of getting Sarah to react to anything they did, and they could not get her out without her cooperation.

Ah, I see what you mean now. And it doesn't make that statement any better at all, knowing this.

• enter image description here

I've just looked into your thread, and I have to say that's amazing work! Would you mind telling me what the description for "Being Alone is Dangerous" is? I'd like to list the question above as well!

• True, and I do acknowledge that Jane does try to rescue her when no one else would during the conservatory deck event, so it wasn't necessarily out of selfishness.

But my problem with Jane is how she barely knew Sarah, let alone even speak to her even once, and she had already deemed her a loss cause the moment she had laid eyes on her. She doesn't seem to understand that a traumatized person is not the same as giving up on life as Jamie supposedly had, and her stance on this is what helps get Sarah indirectly killed. As far as I'm concerned, Sarah wasn't Jamie, and she did indeed want to live, but her friends and Jane had given up on too quickly.

It doesn't help that Jane is a stranger to the group, and I felt that she hasn't really earned any right to make suggestions on what to do with Sarah or Rebecca's unborn child. I appreciate her advice to walk through the walker hoard unscathed and help teach Clementine on survival techniques, but her pragmatic ideals were unwarranted in a time when the group was trying to recover from the loss of their friends after being scattered.

Besides, the circumstances and writing of Sarah's deaths and how her friends uncharacteristically ignores or forgets about just irks me more than Jane's character in general.

Jane didn't advocate for leaving Sarah out of selfishness, though. From what I've gathered, and from what would realistically be the case

• Are you referring to the way he's holding the rifle?

How is Luke even aiming?

• edited December 2016

I haven't bought the series yet, but these are my answers!

Lesson: Community

Fate: Shoot Him
    Although Lee was all Clem had left in the world, she summoned her resolve and ended his suffering.

Companionship: Jane
    Jane showed Clementine that she had to make hard choices to put her own safety first.

Jane: Cunning
    In a world of constant danger, don't take anyone at their word. Nothing is as it seems.

Direction: Howe's Hardware
    Jane and Clem returned to the former location of Carver's group.

Howe's: Let Them In
    Walkers don't have mercy, but people still should.

Resources or People: People

Rebecca: Call for Help

Conflict: Negotiate
    People tend to listen when they may have something to gain.

Water: Shared
    There is always room for small mercies. Besides, a living man has a lot more information than a dead one.

Theft: Refuse to Steal
    Clem wasn't raised to take things that didn't belong to her.

Groups: Friends Can Be Helpful
    When others can rely on you, it usually means you can count on them, too.

I do wonder what bundle I'd be part of!

• edited December 2016

Yeah, while that scene and plot point wasn't inherent that despicable on its own, the fact is that it ultimately served as a perfect example(and how fitting, considering it's essentially a Character Establishing Moment) of a lot of issues with Jane's character. She shows up, does/says some pretty horrible things to show that she's this "stoic, hardcore, and edgy badass", does/says something contradicting that, and the story/characters just conveniently forget about it because "she's tragic!" You can only play those cards so many times in some many ways before it starts to add up in the worst way.

I recall saying a while back that you shouldn't create a character with many of the same negative qualities as your main antagonist if you want them to be likable. I should've specified that you should only do that if it's an extension of their character development in that you should make sure to portray it as a genuine flaw that they should either overcome or at least adjust to have a clear set of standards that defines them as a "good" person in the end.

Jane's problem here is that she is established as having a negative flaw (Fantasic Racism and/or Aggressive Categorism) towards one of the nicer main characters due to her experiences with her own sister that causes her to behave in a distinctly cold manner, to the point of pressuring Clementine into leaving her to die and insisting that she's dangerous after the fact... before simply dropping the issue altogether and so the matter of her prejudice against "liabilities" and her assessment of Sarah's status is never directly addressed again. This is particularly notable because the junior dies as a result of Jane's input regardless of choice, Jane claims that is the reason for her leaving the group without that fact coming up again when she returns in the following episode, Arvo (a character who is sometimes given that exact labeling due to his visible handicap and similarities to both Sarah and Ben Paul) is introduced in the same episode as a future antagonist in part because Jane decides to rob him, and I swear I recall her using that term in reference to Kenny as part of the conflict in the final episode. So there's no real resolution to these issues despite some setup to do so being there, this flaw isn't specifically overcome or at least tamed, and yet the story insists that "Jane is a good girl" without having her really face any direct consequences for her behavior even though she has some serious problems she needs to deal with.

True, and I do acknowledge that Jane does try to rescue her when no one else would during the conservatory deck event, so it wasn't necessar

• Yup. He's barely holding it. They fixed this in s3 though.

Are you referring to the way he's holding the rifle?

• that's actually pretty close to how i'd have my clem too.
    high five!

I haven't bought the series yet, but these are my answers! Lesson: Community The only hope people have for the future is to help each ot

• High five!

In which ones do you differ?

that's actually pretty close to how i'd have my clem too. high five!

• edited December 2016

Thank you so much for compiling this list! It's really nice to see all of the options laid out together. Eh...I feel like I may get some flak for various of my decisions. These were the options I chose, based off of my original playthrough:

Community

Leave Him to Turn
    A bullet might have been the most merciful, but Clem couldn't bring herself to shoot her friend.

Kenny
    Kenny never gave up. His endless determination helped keep Clementine alive.

Family
    Family isn't always blood. But it's the reason you keep going.

Wellington
    Kenny and Clem went north. Somewhere cold enough to slow down the walkers.

Leave with Kenny
    Clem refused to enter without Kenny. They had been through far too much together.

People

Call for Help

Shared

Appeal to Humanity
    Clem hoped that the presence of the baby would calm things down.

Take From Others
    When it's “us or them,” Clem chose her friend.

Friends Can Be Helpful
    When others can rely on you, it usually means you can count on them, too. (I don't quite recall if this option appeared for me)

• This one. With the combo of answers you picked, Water and Groups questions are not used.

I haven't bought the series yet, but these are my answers! Lesson: Community The only hope people have for the future is to help each ot

• edited December 2016

I believe you'd be apart of the "Lost Child" cluster. :)

Edit: I got ninja'd.

• the one regarding rebecca and maybe lee's lesson. i'm still kinda unsure which to choose for that one, though. :x

High five! In which ones do you differ?

• Thank you for taking the time to fill in my choices; that's insane!

Patricia and Jane just hugging in the background.

• Thank you as well!

My faith in humanity has been restored.

Bigby-Wolf posted: »

I believe you'd be apart of the "Lost Child" cluster. Edit: I got ninja'd.

• ...Actually, I have screenshots of all 42 points as I sat down bored one night and posted all of their summaries and titles on my thread.

Don't judge me.

Thank you for taking the time to fill in my choices; that's insane! Patricia and Jane just hugging in the background.

• Justice is a far second for me in Lee's Lesson.

the one regarding rebecca and maybe lee's lesson. i'm still kinda unsure which to choose for that one, though. :x

• You're very welcome! :)

I think the story generator is very cool, and I am very intrigued by all of these different clusters.

Thank you as well! My faith in humanity has been restored.

• An interesting discrepancy that I find within your answers is that you would alert other group members instead of instinctively saving the baby's life, and yet you hoped that the presence of the baby would calm things down! Why do you believe this happens?

Kenny726 posted: »

Thank you so much for compiling this list! It's really nice to see all of the options laid out together. Eh...I feel like I may get some fla

• enter image description here

Kenny726 posted: »

Thank you so much for compiling this list! It's really nice to see all of the options laid out together. Eh...I feel like I may get some fla

• community and justice are actually the ones i'm trying to decide between. lol
    i'm leaning more toward community though since my other choices are more focused on that.

Justice is a far second for me in Lee's Lesson.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.