Who do you think are the most underrated and overrated characters in all of the games?

Comments

• He was let down and/or proven wrong and now he's overcompensating by being throroughly Anti-Eleanor.

Fangirl101 posted: »

You were the one who was saying that Eleanor was "manipulative and sneaky" and I confronted you about it. You also said that she never cared about Javier and his family. What made you change your mind now?

• You didn't. Remember my "Personality Color" question on "The Thread of general TWD-related questions"? It was on May 16.

Melton23 posted: »

Maybe because I posted that comment before episode 4 was released?

• I think you need to go to the opticians because I am talking about the comment on this thread, which was posted before episode 4 came out and I made that other comment about Eleanor after episode 4

You didn't. Remember my "Personality Color" question on "The Thread of general TWD-related questions"? It was on May 16.

• Ok. Sorry. There's no need for insults. :unamused:

I think you need to go to the opticians because I am talking about the comment on this thread, which was posted before episode 4 came out and I made that other comment about Eleanor after episode 4

• Overrated: Carley, Molly, Kenny, Clementine, Jane, Luke

Underrated: Eleanor, Max, Javier, Pete, Alvin, Nick, Gabe, Sarah, Duck, Doug, Lilly, Ben, Kate, Sarita

• I agree with most of that. :smile:

Overrated: Carley, Molly, Kenny, Clementine, Jane, Luke Underrated: Eleanor, Max, Javier, Pete, Alvin, Nick, Gabe, Sarah, Duck, Doug, Lilly, Ben, Kate, Sarita

• Thank you. :)

DabigRG posted: »

I agree with most of that.

• Hardly an insult, just a way of saying read things before you post.

Ok. Sorry. There's no need for insults.

• edited May 2017

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, again. I feel like an idiot. :(

Hardly an insult, just a way of saying read things before you post.

• It's stupid to compare her to Clementine when we barely know her.

I know right!?

• On the contrary, I does make sense: we don't know much about her, so we fall back on a shorthand comparison to make it a little easier.

Bonbomb posted: »

It's stupid to compare her to Clementine when we barely know her.

• enter image description here
    Ava deserves more respect.

• Agreed.

Louche posted: »

• Ava is amazing! So amazing that I unfortunately tried to save her. :(

• How dare you even question this? Lonnie is the best character in this game. I demand a spin-off about him! :joy:

Lonnie?

• Best character in the game.

Also, what the hell is up with the ripping doing stuff to the characters' face? It's caused problems with Clementine and David as well.

• You like her, too? That doesn't seem surprising, but I'm not really sure why I like her. I guess I just like her design and attititude. We haven't seen too many genuinely tough looking girls in the walking dead games, Jane came off as too dainty (although then people said she was too ugly in season 3 pffft)

I don't see anything particularly wrong with her face, I do notice the ahem blurred cleavage. Maybe what you're seeing is just a lighting thing?

Best character in the game. Also, what the hell is up with the ripping doing stuff to the characters' face? It's caused problems with Clementine and David as well.

• You like her, too? That doesn't seem surprising, but I'm not really sure why I like her.

Well, I loved her since before the game came out when that screenshot went up on Telltale's twitter. She's what finally got me to start caring again when the novelty of potentially seeing a returning character(specifically Arvo) playing a big part wore off. Her design in general is just so eyecatching and good compared to the more normal but boring look of most of the other characters being shown off, especially with this HD hyperrealistic art(?)style.
    And while her characterization and role are fairly different from any of what I thought during the January wait, she's still probably the best new character and supporting character in general.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with her face, I do notice the ahem blurred cleavage. Maybe what you're seeing is just a lighting thing?

Great, now I'm looking at it. (Nothing new, some might be thinking)

I could just a lighting thing or texturing issue, but her face just looks wrong. The popping, derped eyes don't help.

You like her, too? That doesn't seem surprising, but I'm not really sure why I like her. I guess I just like her design and attititude. We h

• Didn't you know about continues? telltale kinda dropped the ball with that choice, if they wanted it to work they needed to make it so the continue option restarts the whole chapter

AgentZ46 posted: »

Ava is amazing! So amazing that I unfortunately tried to save her.

• Well I'm not gonna do a do over. That would completely ruin that scene for me.

Didn't you know about continues? telltale kinda dropped the ball with that choice, if they wanted it to work they needed to make it so the continue option restarts the whole chapter

• edited May 2017

Huh. I never saw that twitter screenshot. She caught me by surprise in the actual game. What's funny is I actually didn't care for her at all in the flashback, I didn't really like her design, and I figured she was a throwaway character to introduce Clem to the New Frontier. So the thing with her and David in Ep 3 caught me pleasantly by surprise, and her design grew on me. I thought she might turn out to be some sinister punk/druggie bitch but nope.

The eyes, huh? Then again, maybe the druggie thing isn't completely off.

Great, now I'm looking at it. (Nothing new, some might be thinking)

well, I think like me, you're very opinionated and speak your mind, but I don't recall you being particularly perverted. Where might one get that opinion?
    maybe perverted isn't the right word, but you get what I mean

You like her, too? That doesn't seem surprising, but I'm not really sure why I like her. Well, I loved her since before the game cam

• You literally can't do a do over unless they suddenly add a chapters option

Well I'm not gonna do a do over. That would completely ruin that scene for me.

• I wouldn't even if I could. I had a great reaction and the scene hit me really hard. "I'm gonna save Ava, I'm so sorry Tripp! Wait, no!"" What would that scene mean to me if I just went back and said "Alright I'll just pick Tripp." Nothing, it wouldn't mean anything!

You literally can't do a do over unless they suddenly add a chapters option

• Actually it's around 5

Bonbomb posted: »

How can Marianna be overrated or underrated? She has one conversation with Javier before getting killed.

• Huh. I never saw that twitter screenshot. She caught me by surprise in the actual game.

enter image description here

What's funny is I actually didn't care for her at all in the flashback, I didn't really like her design, and I figured she was a throwaway character to introduce Clem to the New Frontier. So the thing with her and David in Ep 3 caught me pleasantly by surprise, and her design grew on me.

...Interesting. But yes, I feared she'd another one hit wonder like Jolene or Michelle even though she tied in more on arrival. Luckily, those fears were unsubstantiated.

I thought she might turn out to be some sinister punk/druggie bitch but nope.

Funny you should mention that(the idea of her being bad news at least) considering my original expectations once Part 2 was out.

The eyes, huh? Then again, maybe the druggie thing isn't completely off.

I think it's cause here skin is so dark that her eyes(which seem to be yellow, interestingly enough) seem to really pop; that happened with Mike in a few scenes too. And then there's Gil.

well, I think like me, you're very opinionated and speak your mind, but I don't recall you being particularly perverted. Where might one get that opinion?
    maybe perverted isn't the right word, but you get what I mean

Well, I made it no secret that she's been my number one [ANF-wise] early on, even citing her name on expectation and review lists as if that'd get the point across.
    There's also this thread of mine.

Huh. I never saw that twitter screenshot. She caught me by surprise in the actual game. What's funny is I actually didn't care for her at al

• At first he seems willing to make a deal at the junkyard until he hears the coughing. So he does have a good heart, he can also sell you out to Joan for something David didn't do so he's a complicated character

How dare you even question this? Lonnie is the best character in this game. I demand a spin-off about him!

• edited May 2017

Yes, I liked him in Episode 1, but I didn't expect him to sell us out like that :(

I was like: "Don't betray me, Lonnie!!!"

At first he seems willing to make a deal at the junkyard until he hears the coughing. So he does have a good heart, he can also sell you out to Joan for something David didn't do so he's a complicated character

• I get that. It's just that he's not too prominent or noteworthy otherwise, so I struggle to understand him the few times I remember he's a thing.

His design probably doesn't help either.

At first he seems willing to make a deal at the junkyard until he hears the coughing. So he does have a good heart, he can also sell you out to Joan for something David didn't do so he's a complicated character

• Well I have to replay episodes 1-3 bc somehow my cloud save deleted itself so we'll see....

Actually it's around 5

• edited May 2017

I get that. But there was too much bullshit up till now for me not to try and re-do it. If I was more invested maybe that wouldn't have been the case. (in my first run of season 1, I thought you could save carley and larry, but didn't try to reload the save. I accepted it.)

Also the Javi dialogue is bullshit. They make you talk like you really prefer one over the other, instead of you being forced at gunpoint to choose. That's putting thoughts and words into our mouths. So much for choice.

I wouldn't even if I could. I had a great reaction and the scene hit me really hard. "I'm gonna save Ava, I'm so sorry Tripp! Wait, no!"" Wh

• edited May 2017

pic

well, I'm glad I didn't see it. I try to avoid this stuff nowadays, It's better going in blind. At least it's just a more dynamically lit version, not some really misleading or really spoiling thing.

...Interesting. But yes, I feared she'd another one hit wonder like Jolene or Michelle even though she tied in more on arrival. Luckily, those fears were unsubstantiated.

Yep, they were. Except that made me look back and retroactively want her to have more screentime.
    That's what happens, I suppose.

oh, and reminding me of Jolene. Another character who I wish had more of an impact (on Lee)

considering my original expectations once Part 2 was out.

Based off the preview pic?

I think it's cause here skin is so dark that her eyes(which seem to be yellow, interestingly enough) seem to really pop; that happened with Mike in a few scenes too. And then there's Gil.

Good luck figuring out her race, though. That reminds me, they changed Clem's eyes from yellow didn't they? Nick and Lee also had the popping eyes thing, though it made them look less creepy and more... just gave them a presence when in a room. It's another aspect of Nick that makes me upset about his fate, funny enough.
    Gil. Pfft. I never liked his design, but he is a throwaway character, despite being the crux of Jane/Clem's ending.
    And anyway, if we want to talk druggie, there's Paul. The guy is fascinatingly creepy to look at, and you can tell he would be handsome if he laid off the stuff.

Also, fuck me, I'm beat. Going out of my way to reply to all this. I gotta take a break for the night. Why can't the system take me directly to most comments? Sheesh.

Huh. I never saw that twitter screenshot. She caught me by surprise in the actual game. What's funny is I actually didn't car

• edited July 2017

oh, and reminding me of Jolene. Another character who I wish had more of an impact (on Lee)

Oh yeah, definitely. Especially since I think she's determinately the first time he actually had to kill someone.
    Btw, I felt really dumb for not realizing on my own that she was supposed to look like she could be Clementine's mom.

Based off the preview pic?

Oh no, I meant based on her appearance in Part 2's flashback. The pic just made me assume she was a member of Prescott who was roommates/partners with Clementine.

The "hypetrain" to Above the Law saw a fair bit of speculation--not necessarily positive, mind you--but we all had some ideas of where characters would go in our opinion. For Ava, my thoughts were that she'd basically be a weird mish-mash of comparable/contrasting traits from Jane, Nate, Michelle, and a little bit of Carver--all of which would be setting her up to be a unusual personal antagonist and/or arc villain for Clementine (and maybe Gabe and, to a far lesser extent, Conrad).
    This was all drawn for a combination of little details about her characterization in the flashback, potential links to how the other character's story arcs were being set up to proceed, her brief but significant appearance in the trailer for Above the Law, and a few random thoughts.
    The weird thing about this is the fact that when the episodes we have now came out, they seemed to simultaneous joss and support a lot of my theories and predictions.

Good luck figuring out her race, though.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. She's most likely mixed herself(further supporting my theories), maybe even being a very dark skinned Boer.

That reminds me, they changed Clem's eyes from yellow didn't they?

Yeah, @Spodes was particularly pissed about that. It's just so weird that they'd change that about such an iconic character after two Seasons of being near the center of attention.

Nick and Lee also had the popping eyes thing, though it made them look less creepy and more... just gave them a presence when in a room. It's another aspect of Nick that makes me upset about his fate, funny enough.

Yeah, I heard someone mention that. What an odd detail that the characters with the most detailed designs often got the short end of the stick.

Gil. Pfft. I never liked his design, but he is a throwaway character, despite being the crux of Jane/Clem's ending.

Oh yeah, he's clearly just Duck in blackface. Which lead to both some funny fridge logic on my part and a fair amount of disdain from the community.

And anyway, if we want to talk druggie, there's Paul. The guy is fascinatingly creepy to look at, and you can tell he would be handsome if he laid off the stuff.

Yeah, he really does stand out somewhat design wise, especially since he's actually one of the more decent people in ANF. A bit of a shame his trailer design wasn't used though. Made him look especially distinguished.

Also, fuck me, I'm beat. Going out of my way to reply to all this. I gotta take a break for the night. Why can't the system take me directly to most comments? Sheesh.

True dat. :lol: I spent 15 minutes surfing through the Meme thread yesterday trying to find some of your replies. One of the many things they need to fix.

Take it easy, man(?)!

pic well, I'm glad I didn't see it. I try to avoid this stuff nowadays, It's better going in blind. At least it's just a more dynami

• edited July 2017

Oh yeah, definitely. Especially since I think she's determinately the first time he actually had to kill someone.

Btw, I felt really dumb for not realizing on my own that she was supposed to look like she could be Clementine's mom.
    Good point.
    Her mom? Hell, maybe. I always did think her hair was mod. Maybe's even a reskin of her model.

Oh no, I meant based on her appearance in Part 2's flashback. The pic just made me assume she was a member of Prescott who was roommates/partners with Clementine.

intradesting. I wasn't even aware of Prescott at that point. I would like to have seen a Clem-Ava team-up though. To get a proper female companion that doesn't turn on her at some point. (Christa grows cold, molly leaves, bonnie leaves and is involved with her getting shot, jane kills herself etc)

For Ava, my thoughts were that she'd basically be a weird mish-mash of comparable/contrasting traits from Jane, Nate, Michelle, and a little bit of Carver--all of which would be setting her up to be a unusual personal antagonist and/or arc villain for Clementine (and maybe Gabe and, to a far lesser extent, Conrad).

The weird thing about this is the fact that when the episodes we have now came out, they seemed to simultaneous joss and support a lot of my theories and predictions.
    Nate?!
    Also what did they support?

Oh yeah, that's a good point. She's most likely mixed herself(further supporting my theories), maybe even being a very dark skinned Boer.

Theories. Go on.

Yeah, @Spodes was particularly pissed about that. It's just so weird that they'd change that about such an iconic character after two Seasons of being near the center of attention.

Heh, that's funny. What'd did he think? Me, I think again it was a consequence of striving for "Realism." Most people don't have yellow eyes and when they do, it's a problem. Meanwhile no one went up to Lee and said "dude why yer got the yellow eyes? shits creepy, get that checked out"

Yeah, I heard someone mention that. What an odd detail that the characters with the most detailed designs often got the short end of the stick.

Have we ever heard of any plans for Nick being scrapped? He got so much focus in episode 1 and 2 and then plop, dead.

Oh yeah, he's clearly just Duck in blackface. Which lead to both some funny fridge logic on my part and a fair amount of disdain from the community.

Kenny is a player?

Yeah, he really does stand out somewhat design wise, especially since he's actually one of the more decent people in ANF. A bit of a shame his trailer design wasn't used though. Made him look especially distinguished.

You can definitely tell he was a more important character by the design. And what's more important than main antagonist, really?

True dat. I spent 15 minutes surfing through the Meme thread yesterday trying to find some of your replies. One of the many things they need to fix.

Take it easy, man(?)!
    Only 15? Sheesh, you're quicker than me. And now I'm having other technical issues with my feeds. God.
    I'll settle that mystery for you. I'm a guy. 20 years old. And I'd probably have a Nick avatar if all the options didn't suck. (he reminds me too much of me. Put him and Becca in a blender and you have me as a teenager.)

oh, and reminding me of Jolene. Another character who I wish had more of an impact (on Lee) Oh yeah, definitely. Especially since I

• Underrated:
    - Randall
    - Gabe
    - Kate
    - Nick
    - Chuck

Overrated:
    - Carver
    - Conrad
    - Carley
    - David
    - Bonnie

• edited July 2017

Underrated
    I have respect for Lilly like a lot.

And Chuck

Overrated

Carver he was interesting in EP1 and 2 but EP3 released and ugh

• Heh, that's funny. What'd did he think? Me, I think again it was a consequence of striving for "Realism." Most people don't have yellow eyes and when they do, it's a problem. Meanwhile no one went up to Lee and said "dude why yer got the yellow eyes? shits creepy, get that checked out"

Huh? I never thought it was a "realism" thing, Clem never had any issues regarding her eyes, I just found them cute. Now he eyes in season 3 are brown all of a sudden after two seasons. I doubt Clementine just grew out of them in the awful two year time skip.

Oh yeah, definitely. Especially since I think she's determinately the first time he actually had to kill someone. Btw, I felt really

• Carver he was interesting in EP1 and 2 but EP4 released and ugh

He sound interestingly terrible that he showed up an episode after he got murdered. :lol:

joshua007 posted: »

Underrated I have respect for Lilly like a lot. And Chuck Overrated Carver he was interesting in EP1 and 2 but EP3 released and ugh

• Her mom? Hell, maybe. I always did think her hair was mod. Maybe's even a reskin of her model.

I assume you meant odd, but yes.
    Not sure about being reused, though it'd be really fucked up if she's what Linda looks like without the mask.

intradesting. I wasn't even aware of Prescott at that point. I would like to have seen a Clem-Ava team-up though. To get a proper female companion that doesn't turn on her at some point. (Christa grows cold, molly leaves, bonnie leaves and is involved with her getting shot, jane kills herself etc)

Intradesting indeed. Prescott was featured in a few other screenshots as this western looking town and possibly the airport concept art.
    I noticed you included Molly of all people and not Lilly, Rebecca, or Sarah, for better or worse. Not that I'm complaining, but it was a little odd to see her listed there.

Nate?!

Also what did they support?

The idea of her being David's Dragon and an "evil" counterpart to Clementine, as well as her having a thing for kids. Also, being from Prescott, but that was in Thicker than Water.

Theories. Go on.

Let's see, after being introduced as a chummy member of the New Frontier back when they were worthy of being deemed good people by Edgy!Clem, I figured she'd be an evil counterpart to her and a foil to Carver, Jane, and David, being a genuinely compassionate person behind her creepy(read:obviously evil) exterior, but she'd also be something of a fatalist obsessed with having a baby to call her own in the apocalypse. To this end, she'd take advantage of whatever Clementine did to piss off David to take AJ for herself, reasoning that while she really did like Clementine and feels bad about having to separate the two, everything happens for a reason.
    I also thought she'd turn out to be Conrad's estranged daughter, given I was under the impression she was at least in her late teens to early 20s(with that apparently fake stat sheet fueling the fire by claiming she's 19) and the story's themes about family, strained relationships, and justice/revenge could tie him in with her perfectly as a bonus backstory element.

Heh, that's funny. What'd did he think? Me, I think again it was a consequence of striving for "Realism." Most people don't have yellow eyes and when they do, it's a problem. Meanwhile no one went up to Lee and said "dude why yer got the yellow eyes? shits creepy, get that checked out"

Yeah, that is a bit odd. Anyway, you ended up summoning him so feel free to ask him yourself.

Have we ever heard of any plans for Nick being scrapped? He got so much focus in episode 1 and 2 and then plop, dead.

Not that I can think of, which is admittedly a little frustrating. I'm betting Nick Breckon can answer that better than anyone though, given he wrote both episodes.
    Plus, again, I heard that his voice actor was apparently unavailable when they were making Amid the Ruins, which played a factor in his death.
    I just followed up on the Walter stuff a little bit and gave him a key role in the 'Ralph' subplot, personally.

Kenny is a player?

Honestly, it's so long since I made this post that I don't remember the context of that, so maybe. Or maybe it's the idea that Randy is essentially another Kenny/Carver, with Patricia and Gil being his Sarita and AJ, respectively.

You can definitely tell he was a more important character by the design. And what's more important than main antagonist, really?

Pretty much, as it turns out.

Only 15? Sheesh, you're quicker than me. And now I'm having other technical issues with my feeds. God.

Yeah, we all are. PM's are pretty much a joke now, which is saying something coming from me.

I'll settle that mystery for you. I'm a guy. 20 years old. And I'd probably have a Nick avatar if all the options didn't suck. (he reminds me too much of me. Put him and Becca in a blender and you have me as a teenager.)

Damn. I guess that explains it.
    Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

Oh yeah, definitely. Especially since I think she's determinately the first time he actually had to kill someone. Btw, I felt really

• Ooh my mistake it was EP3 lol

Carver he was interesting in EP1 and 2 but EP4 released and ugh He sound interestingly terrible that he showed up an episode after he got murdered.

• bruh, yellow eyes are used almost exclusively in cartoons for creepy and/or evil characters

Spodes posted: »

Heh, that's funny. What'd did he think? Me, I think again it was a consequence of striving for "Realism." Most people don't have yellow eyes

Sign in to comment in this discussion.