Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2017

Wrong thread.

• Just saw Spiderman Homecoming not too long ago, finally! I really liked this interpretation of Spiderman overall, with him focusing on being a teenager just as much as he focused on being Spiderman. I also really liked the Hannibal Buress cameos too. :p

• Since this is a Marvel-related thread, let's talk about the upcoming Venom movie. Do you think it's a good idea for this movie to be made? I have a hard time thinking this movie will success because:

• Spider-Man won't have any roles at all.
    • It will not be canon to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy or even The Amazing Spider-Man movies.
    • Catwoman, the very first supervillain solo movie, was a terrible idea to begin with.

Tom Hardy is the cast choice for Eddie Brock/Venom. I heard good things about Tom Hardy so we shouldn't be worried about the cast for Venom, I think he is going to do it better than Topher Grace in Spider-Man 3. This movie will be directed by Ruben Fleischer, the director of Zombieland movie.

• I think it's quite a bad idea to be honest, it's just Sony wanting to take advantage of the Spider-Man property by making non-MCU-but-still-MCU movies that will probably fall flat. But on the positive side I think Tom Hardy is an excellent casting for Eddie Brock. Only time will tell but as a HUGE Spidey fan I'm not excited for these films whatsoever.

AronDracula posted: »

Since this is a Marvel-related thread, let's talk about the upcoming Venom movie. Do you think it's a good idea for this movie to be made? I

• It would already fail if they don't make Venom right. Everyone wants him to match the comic version. Be taller than any humans, have huge muscles and have a dark voice when he puts the symbiote mask on.

CathalOHara posted: »

I think it's quite a bad idea to be honest, it's just Sony wanting to take advantage of the Spider-Man property by making non-MCU-but-still-

• I totally agree with your assesment

CathalOHara posted: »

I think it's quite a bad idea to be honest, it's just Sony wanting to take advantage of the Spider-Man property by making non-MCU-but-still-

• I don't trust Sony or their producers. They have meddled before and that has damaged the quality of Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Spider-Man series.

AronDracula posted: »

Since this is a Marvel-related thread, let's talk about the upcoming Venom movie. Do you think it's a good idea for this movie to be made? I

• Reminder that it's August 18th, which means it's The Defenders' release date! Has anyone here seen some episodes? (or the whole season, if it's even possible at the moment, I'm not sure when exactly it came out) How did you like it?

• edited August 2017

I have seen the show. All of it. Since 9 AM. Yeah...I'm pretty tired right now.

Alright so, it is definitely an entertaining story. I love the interaction between all of the Defenders. There is a natural chemistry between all four actors. I find Danny Rand a lot more likable here than in his show, he is still the same character, but written a lot better.

There are flaws. Not gonna say what exactly. But it kinda falters by the end with certain characters and story beats.

So keep your excitement to a manageable level and you will find yourself greatly entertained.

Pipas posted: »

Reminder that it's August 18th, which means it's The Defenders' release date! Has anyone here seen some episodes? (or the whole season, if it's even possible at the moment, I'm not sure when exactly it came out) How did you like it?

• edited August 2017

So I just finished The Defenders damn I am tired!
    It was good I love to see Jessica Jones again because she is my favorite of the Marvel Netflix series and my favorite Defender to so everyone who wants a Jessica Jones Season 2 right now well here you have it it's the Defenders it basicly serves as a Season 2 for Iron Fist, Season 3 for Daredevil, Season 2 for Luke Cage and well a season 2 for Jones.
    Iron Fist my least favorite Marvel Netflix series has actually become a bit interesting to me: the actor has finally some real people that can make action scenes, he has good material to work with and his interactions are interesting to me but he is still my least favorite Defender. Everytime when Danny (iron fist) starts fighting in the beginning I get this strange feeling like that Harry Potter says screw magic and puts on an Assassin's Creed outfit and beats Voldemorth up in Mortal Kombat style XD.

I am happy they didn't meet each other in the first Episode to because the way the show does it is really natural but there are a few problems though I am going to mention two... It's the Hand. I don't like the actors or the characters at all and basicly their goal is to life forever and nothing more they basicly come agrose to me as your favorite organization from a game/comic/book/movie/show but without any of the interesting things.
    There is this ''weapon'' named the Black Sky and she is a strong weapon but just give her a gun ooh wait the Defenders would be dead XD.
    But yeah I had fun watching it and hope they do it again:)

• I hope they stop with the Hand business after The Defenders. I am quite tired of them by now. I am fairly certain that other antagonists force can be a more interesting challenge against the Defenders.

I really hope there is a Season 2.

joshua007 posted: »

So I just finished The Defenders damn I am tired! It was good I love to see Jessica Jones again because she is my favorite of the Marvel Ne

• Finished Defenders today and here are my thoughts.

I liked it a lot. However, I don't think it's as good as either seasons of Daredevil or Jessica Jones. The character interactions are by far the best part, especially Jessica's. The action is a big improvement over Iron Fist. Danny Rand gets lots of time to shine in this, far more than in his own series and is utilised well (at least in my opinion). Danny uses the Iron Fist more in these 8 episodes than in his 13 episode season. The action is pretty great as well especially in the final episode of the season. There are also a few big things that will effect each characters own series. It's also cool to see all the side characters from their respective series interact.

Now for the bad. The villains are easily the weakest part of this series. Sigourney Weaver's character starts off strong but gets weaker towards the end, the action while still good has yet to surpass that of both seasons of Daredevil, there are too many cuts during fight scenes, the opening intro isn't particularly memorable and the series still contains the pacing issues the previous series's have had which is unfortunate.

Overall it's good, but not the best of the Netflix series but it was really fun. If you don't overhype yourself you'll probably find a good amount of enjoyment in it.

• Totally agree, apart from the bit about the intro. Visually it may not be as memorable as Jessica Jones or Daredevil, but I thought the theme itself was pretty great (not sure if you meant that though).

I probably shouldn't be by this point, but I'm surprised there has been a bit of a mixed reaction. It doesn't get everything right, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be compared to Iron Fist, which was much weaker. The bottom line was that I found it to be enjoyable, still has it's flaws but being enjoyable is pretty redeemable.

When it comes to ranking the series, this is how I see it: Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, Daredevil S2, Defenders, Luke Cage and then Iron Fist.

lupinb0y posted: »

Finished Defenders today and here are my thoughts. I liked it a lot. However, I don't think it's as good as either seasons of Daredevil o

• I didn't find either the theme or intro memorable. Just was kinda there. I pretty much skipped it every single time after seeing it the first time.

VenomHD posted: »

Totally agree, apart from the bit about the intro. Visually it may not be as memorable as Jessica Jones or Daredevil, but I thought the them

• edited August 2017

Parts of it remind me of the main theme from Batman's Telltale series (season 1). The rest of it seems influenced by Daredevil's theme, just slightly remixed. I didn't really care for Iron Fist's intro or theme, so I'm glad the Defenders was also an improvement on that front, at least for me anyway.

I didn't find either the theme or intro memorable. Just was kinda there. I pretty much skipped it every single time after seeing it the first time.

• Most of you have probably already seen this, but still...

Trailer for Punisher

• I finally got around to watching The Defenders, and it was pretty good. I really liked the character chemistry, although I did feel it relied a bit too much on pre-established character relationships so I can see why it had lower views.

Also, a new Punisher trailer is out:

• New trailer for Punisher is out

We finally have a date - November 17th

• Thor Ragnorak reviews seem to be coming in, and most look really good. As much as I want Marvel movies in general to be more than Comedy, I heard the director of Ragnorak seems to have a good taste in eccentric comedy that is expressed well in Ragnorak.

• I am looking forward to see Thor Ragnarok this month (it comes out here on the 26th in my country). It looks pretty interesting.

I am avoiding the Punisher trailer. I would rather watch it without knowing anything.

• edited October 2017

So hyped for Thor: Ragnarok!!!

• Ragnarok is out!

• edited November 2017

Also am I the only person who liked thor the dark world

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2017

No, you're not the only one. I actually liked Thor: The Dark World better than the original Thor.

I also liked Iron Fist, although I watched it at a point when I could watch Defenders immediately afterward, which helped make me like Iron Fist a lot more since the A plot of Defenders is basically Iron Fist Season One Part II. It managed to explain the immortal Iron Fist a lot better, revealed more of what happened to the mystical city of K'un-L'un after Danny left, and revealed why the Hand was able to bring people back to life.

Jessica Jones was my favorite character in The Defenders. How can you not like her sarcastic comments aimed at Matt Murdock, and especially Danny Rand? Plus, the elevator scene was awesome. It shows she's even more powerful than she lets on, and really makes me excited for Jessica Jones Season Two.

But, thinking about it, the B plot of The Defenders was basically Daredevil Season Two Part II. Out of the four of them, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage really needed the least explanations out of all of the shows, so it makes sense that the plot would focus mostly on Danny and Matt. Luke Cage's origins were well laid out in the first season of his show. Basically all that was left on a cliffhanger in that season was how Luke would get out of prison, which isn't really even a big deal, wasn't at all unexpected when it happened in Luke Cage's show, and was resolved in less than five minutes in The Defenders. We don't know a lot about Jessica before Kilgrave, and know nothing about how she got her powers, but that's more suited to be shown in Jessica Jones Season Two because it likely has nothing, or at least very little, to do with The Hand.

I also watched the first episode of Inhumans finally, after avoiding it due to all the bad press it got. The special effects of Lockjaw and Medusa are amazing, and the storyline isn't even almost as bad as people said it was. If I actually did watch that when it was in IMAX theatres, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all.

Sbs1280 posted: »

Also am I the only person who liked thor the dark world

• Yeah I gotta get around to watching inhumans it's probably the only marvel TV show that is not 100% raunchy which I try to not watch to dirty stuff but I got out of Ragnarok a couple hours ago it was really good it's definitely my favroite marvel movie it was really funny too

Jennifer posted: »

No, you're not the only one. I actually liked Thor: The Dark World better than the original Thor. I also liked Iron Fist, although I wat

• I would like to watch marvel TV but it's soooooooooooooooo dirty sometimes which I don't like

Yeah I gotta get around to watching inhumans it's probably the only marvel TV show that is not 100% raunchy which I try to not watch to dir

• The Netflix Marvel shows definitely don't play down the sexual scenes, that's for sure. Agents of Shield had it's moments in season one, but after that I can't think of anything too raunchy. You should really watch Agents of Shield from the middle of season one, on. As soon as The Winter Soldier hit theaters, Agents of Shield got really good, and hasn't dropped in quality since.

Agent Carter is also an excellent show to watch too, if you haven't already.

• Oh crap I never knew Agents of shild was dirty at the beginning glad I didn't watch it they pushed for it to be a kid show kind of which that turned me away cause I didn't want them to get very mild to where it's boring but I wether that then dirty.

The Netflix Marvel shows definitely don't play down the sexual scenes, that's for sure. Agents of Shield had it's moments in season one, bu

• edited November 2017

But marvel needs to get a grip I mean it's mostly kids and teens who watch thier stuff I mean it waa so mild when it first started with hulk, spider man, thor, and captain and stuff but then they started making R rated movies and MA TV shows I mean what happened

• At least Ragnarok was good (again my favroite)

But marvel needs to get a grip I mean it's mostly kids and teens who watch thier stuff I mean it waa so mild when it first started with hulk

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2017

It's all for different audiences, just like the Marvel comics are for different audiences. The ABC TV shows and MCU films are for general audiences and families.

You're missing out by not watching Agents of Shield. It's as close to the films as any of the shows get in terms of tone. And don't worry about the sexuality, because if you didn't mind the flirting and innuendo in the films, you won't mind it in Agents of Shield. It never goes beyond that. When you originally said the shows, I wasn't aware you were only talking about the Netflix shows. The ABC shows NEVER reach the level of sexuality that the Netflix shows do.

The Netflix shows are for adult audiences, and contain more sexual scenes than the films. They also include a lot of violence. It's pretty much a contained reality though. The Netflix shows sometimes reference events that happened in the movies but the movies never reference the Netflix shows. Agents of Shield did make a few references to the Netflix shows, although they were so minor that you wouldn't have to watch the Netflix shows to know what was going on. There were only two references, and they only referred to "gang wars in Hell's Kitchen" on a newscast (referencing Daredevil) and had a bullet that exploded upon contact (from Luke Cage).

If you don't like extreme sexual content, just stay away from the Netflix Marvel shows. If you watch the shows on ABC or the films, or the upcoming Runaways on Hulu, they won't have anything like that. Only the Netflix shows are released solely for adult audiences.

The violent, sexual, R rated movies that have been released based on Marvel comics have been made by 20th Century Fox, who owns the rights to make films based on the X-Men and characters who are associated with the X-Men, such as Deadpool. Those are not made by Marvel Studios, and are completely different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There has never been an R rated movie released by Marvel Studios.

• edited November 2017

I just saw Thor Ragnarok. It was really good. Not my favourite of the Marvel movies, but it was the best Thor movie yet. The break from the Asgard/Earth(Midgard) relationship was nice, and with all the Marvel threads being woven together here, it really made it feel connected and important. This was basically Thor meets the world of GOTG.. spaceships, retro music (I do like the synth tunes throughout the movie), and alien planets. Cool stuff.
    Great to have Hulk back on screen. I don't think he gets enough credit for being an important character for the team, so this was a good move to bring him back.
    The humour in this movie was top-notch, with references, running gags and such. It was really well done.. props to Taika Watiti for getting the perfect group of people together for this.
    I'd like to add, though that I found the plot involving Hela was kind of underwhelming. I expected more from her character, or more from the battles they could have had (what awesome weapons could they have fought with in Odin's vault? Probably plenty of cool stuff!)
    The part where Thor [REDACTED] was surprising. Guess I'll have to [REDACTED].
    Unfortunately, the one thing I was hoping for did not happen. I expected

The Guardians of the Galaxy to be passing by in the end, and they pick Thor up or something. Unfortunately, no. No meet up just yet. But we do see Thanos' ship there... right? The lighting technician did not do a good job today. Throughout all the trailers the screen was fairly dark, and while I think it did improve in the movie, there were parts where I just couldn't really see what was happening under shadow. (The Hulk hot tub scene and final credits scene. Was that Thanos' ship?)

• Saw Thor Ragnarok a couple of weeks ago and there's not a doubt in my mind that it's the best Thor movie to date. It is very distinctively different in style though in comparison to the other MCU movies though.

Best part of the film though for me was the Thor vs. Hulk fight, I was in stitches during it.

• edited November 2017

The Hulk hot tub scene

To be fair, do you really want to see Hulk hang dong?

Was that Thanos' ship?

I'm pretty sure. It's very likely that Loki took the Cosmic Cube when he went into the vault and Thanos managed to track them because of it.

AChicken posted: »

I just saw Thor Ragnarok. It was really good. Not my favourite of the Marvel movies, but it was the best Thor movie yet. The break from the

• Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... That does make more since. Thx for telling me what not to watch and stuff.

It's all for different audiences, just like the Marvel comics are for different audiences. The ABC TV shows and MCU films are for general a

• WHAT! Not your favroite marvel movie it was the best marvel movie and movie of the year to me. I thought it was really funny too. I kind of wish Bruce was hulk longer I thought Hulk was very funny.

I just saw Thor Ragnarok. It was really good. Not my favourite of the Marvel movies, but it was the best Thor movie yet. The break from the

• Personally, Guardians 2 was my favourite Marvel Studios movie this year.
    And I thought there wasn't enough Bruce Banner in this movie.
    Opinions are cool.

WHAT! Not your favroite marvel movie it was the best marvel movie and movie of the year to me. I thought it was really funny too. I kind of wish Bruce was hulk longer I thought Hulk was very funny.

• [About Hulk]
    No.. I dont want to see that.. But some points just looked too dark. The opening was as well. Just a weird set up for the movie theater that's all.

[About the spaceship]
    That's a really good theory on how he would have found them! Makes sense too!

(Spoiler)

• I am not a GOTG movie fan but I like the comics and the TT game although I think they should of kept Yondu for IW

Personally, Guardians 2 was my favourite Marvel Studios movie this year. And I thought there wasn't enough Bruce Banner in this movie. Opinions are cool.

• I was laughing so hard the entire time in theaters during Ragnarok. Funniest Marvel movie this year IMO.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.