"Mercy" Episode Discussion

InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
edited October 2017 in The Walking Dead

Season 8 of the Walking Dead is finally here, promising All-Out War. I've been waiting for this for years, although my hype has declined a bit due to the show.

Still, should be interesting, and hopefully good.

As always, comment before, while, and after you watch.

Tagged:

Comments

• Finally, crap might actually start to happen. After this weird artsy stuff.

• Rick fucking some shit up.

• Do we really need an origin story for the red machete?

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2017

You guys see that Red Machete thing? I bet that is going to relate to Alpha somehow.
    EDIT: Apparently it's just the one Rick used to kill Gareth, so I retract my claim.

• Chances for anyone to have just shot and ended Negan this episode are over 9000

• He's got plot armor unlike any I have ever seen. Seriously, they just can't kill the guy.

bigdogg0821 posted: »

Chances for anyone to have just shot and ended Negan this episode are over 9000

• edited October 2017

What was with the Weird Al song? Unless you lived in California in 1980, you didn't hear that on the radio.

...and all the random cars missing license plates. I expected one of the armoured cars to show up covered in licence plates at the end.

• This episode was a lot more eventful than I expected. I thought they were gonna spend six episodes driving to the Sanctuary and then cut to an episode long backstory of Negan's bat.

• Despite all the inspirational speeches that took up half the episode, it was pretty good. I felt kinda pissed off though because they had so many chances to kill Negan. God, why didn't anyone bring a sniper? A scoped gun? :neutral:

• The time jumping felt "unique" for the sake of being "unique". It didn't add anything to the episode, and it remains to be seen if they will ever be relevant. It almost feels like they are just spoiling the outcome of the whole war at this point. Overall though, the episode was pretty good, with a lot going on. It was exciting to see things come to ahead so soon. Hopefully they can carry through on this kind of pace and not have another 6 episodes of every character bitching to each other and doing nothing.

• edited October 2017

Awesome episode. Liked the comic circumstances a little better. More realistic, imo. But AMC did ok. How will Negan treat Father Gabriel? They can't do the Holly thing again, so he's probably in trouble. Worried for him. Liked that they just let the RV do what Rick and Holly were arguing over doing. Didn't really get the Old Man Rick sequences. Is he looking into the future, or what? How can he know his mercy outdoes his wrath? Very weird, but I did like seeing Judith.

• 4 words: Gregory is a douchebag

• edited October 2017

Glad to see the action is picking up quick this season. The episode 1 reference was pretty cool. Gregory proves to be more and more of a dick bag as I expected, seeing Simon finally get physical with him was pretty funny and deserved

• I liked the ep a lot but i feel like this is one of those episodes that will be better judged in retrospect based on how well the flashback/forward scenes are handed in the future. Overall i give it an 8/10 or 9/10, but leaning towards a 9. Hopefully this season will be great.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I watched this episode last night and thought it was a bit "meh" to be honest, i hadn't watched many trailers this time to get hyped as i didn't feel the end of the last series was very exciting either unlike the Negan cliffhanger (which pissed me off at the time but i still enjoyed the episode).

Unless i missed or forgot something it seemed like Rick's group had unlimited ammo in this episode despite being really low before and having to look for alternative means to get more with Eugene's bullet factory which broke my immersion little bit, hopefully it will pick up a little bit for the rest of the season as i felt this episode was rather disappointing for a 100th episode.

• I thought it was a pretty good start for the season, though it's still not as good as the show once was.? But I'm kind of worried about that one flash forward part when Rick was looking down at two graves. At first I thought he was looking at Glen and Abrahams graves but then I realized the dirt looked fresh. so that means two more people close to Rick are going to die. Oh, please don't let it be Morgan, Maggie, Daryl, or Carol! We know Michonne will be okay because we see her in the future.

• Kng0604 said:
    Oh, please don't let it be Morgan, Maggie, Daryl, or Carol! We know Michonne will be okay because we see her in the future

It definitely won't be Maggie or Michonne. Because Rick was crying at graves, I'm gonna assume that either Carol or Morgan gonna die. Because Daryl is still, I believe, fans favourite character. If they would decide to kill Daryl then they would probably lost a ton of viewers. I think I remember the situation when Glenn and Abraham were killed. The TWD series lost many viewers because of that.

Kng0604 posted: »

I thought it was a pretty good start for the season, though it's still not as good as the show once was.? But I'm kind of worried about that

• I really hope it's not Carlo though, she is like one of my favorite characters!

bruzdaa posted: »

Kng0604 said: Oh, please don't let it be Morgan, Maggie, Daryl, or Carol! We know Michonne will be okay because we see her in the future

• Omg they just need to kill him, why is nobody killing him yet? I trusted Trevor Simon to do it and even he couldn’t get it done

KaiMaestro posted: »

4 words: Gregory is a douchebag

• So I assume that the last minute (Rick's speech) takes place before the battle, since Father Gabriel attended that. The episode was all over the place. Why the fuck did they not kill Negan?

Definitely NOT worthy of being episode 100.

6/10

• edited October 2017

If they would decide to kill Daryl then they would probably lost a ton of viewers.

I'd say so be it because a show shouldn't run like that, but they are after high ratings for money. And still will keep him around until like season 11. Just like Telltale seems to cannot kill off Clem for same reacting consequences.. I felt keeping Abraham around for all out war would had been more fitting of a role for Abraham anyways to get to experience versus Daryl. Though Daryl was quite entertaining to see at that prison battle with the Governor.

bruzdaa posted: »

Kng0604 said: Oh, please don't let it be Morgan, Maggie, Daryl, or Carol! We know Michonne will be okay because we see her in the future

• edited October 2017

Why does episode 100 have to be significant? It's just a number. When they're storyboarding it out, they have to plan around that? Sitcoms can do that.
    #KILLCARL

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I had to remove a few comments due to possible spoilers, please refrain from discussion rumoured or even confirmed spoilers from sources like spoiling dead as they tend to be correct most of the time.

Discussing things from official previews and teasers are fine but we don't want major things being spoilt for people in threads like this.

• I can understand where Jesus is coming from in regards to not killing people who are surrendering, but the guy with him and Tara turned on them first chance he got. Right then he proved that he's untrustworthy and no one is safe around him. Tara should've executed him right there.

Overall I liked the episode and the anticipation that came with it. Suspense is always better than straight gore. The episode suffered from the usual writing errors, but overall it was a good episode.

• Wrong episode, pal

Aerie88 posted: »

I can understand where Jesus is coming from in regards to not killing people who are surrendering, but the guy with him and Tara turned on t

Sign in to comment in this discussion.