Who do you think are the most underrated and overrated characters in all of the games?

15678911»

Comments

• edited October 2017

I don't want to get into a big argument here, I just think the whole thing is really forced. Never had the "tailored by how you play" thing felt more hollow than when they FORCE Clem to leave Carver's camp.
    They didn't do a good enough job setting it up for me. Luke did say the walker herd was coming anyway, but it's not clear if he knows that for sure or not. And I know Carver killed Reggie and beat the shit out Kenny, but looking at it from his perspective, the guy was supposed to be super stressed out trying to run a whole community and keep things structured and unchaotic. Then you've got an asshole that can't handle berries and keeps making excuses, and this other fucking asshole that killed one of your men and keeps belligerently defying you at every turn.
    Bonnie says as much, wondering what kind of toll this postition would take on a guy in a zombie apocalypse.
    This kind of thing would be more explicit if we saw more "civilians" in carver's camp like Becca and Shel. They didn't seem uncomfortable. I once read a fanfic that explored this idea a bit, how Carver had to keep things in line and keep stuff like rape within the walls from happening. Makes you respect him a bit, if you think about it.

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator
    edited October 2017

Underrated

Javi. He wasn't as good a protagonist as Lee but I still really enjoyed his dynamic with the other characters (his family and the Prescott survivors) and thought he was a very likable character. Was I annoyed he replaced Clem? Yeah, admittedly! But Telltale could've done way worse, especially if the protagonist wasn't likable. And besides, we're getting her back now in Season Four so he was only a temporary replacement anyway. I sure hope we see him again before the series concludes, even as an NPC (I'm pretty confident we will for that matter).

Conrad. Now this is someone I really didn't expect to like as much as I did, especially after he threatened Gabe and Clem the way he did. But sparing Conrad (which I didn't do in my first playthough but my second) was a genuine surprise. I didn't expect him to redeem himself the way he did and I honestly felt really bad for killing him in my first playthough. Not only that but letting him avenge Francine was just pure badassery.

Overrated

Nick from Season Two. I remember when All That Remains came out nobody would shut up about him. He was fine. But that was it, fine. He was not the best character introduced in the season and when I finished the first two episodes of the second season I was shocked to see how much of a fanbase he garnered. With many people saying he was the best character of the entire series. I did not see that appeal at all to be honest, and I don't mean to annoy people by saying that, and when he died in Amid the Ruins I also wasn't as pissed off as most.

Jane. Quite a few people have mentioned Jane on here already and I pretty much agree with all the points made, I understood her arc, she was a lone survivor that only wanted to look out for herself while give Clementine some training, but Jane was just too distant for me to care about her (well expect for the time she opened up about her sister, but that was it really). Also I don't want to be involved in a Kenny vs. Jane argument but hiding AJ in a car just so she could drive Kenny over the edge was a very shitty thing to do, of course he was going to because Clem and AJ were the only people that mattered to him.

• B-B-But I love Animal Planet. :sob: :sob: :sob:

DabigRG posted: »

With all the Clem getting close to him and him being so... gullible when it came to her. Should Clem agree with his ideology, whether she me

• edited October 2017

enter image description here...

• considering he's one of the few characters to help out and not fuck anything up...?

• edited November 2017

He did absolutely nothing another character couldn't have done and he's blatantly just there for cheap fanservice instead of having any real meaningful character focus/interaction/development, unlike Glenn.

Louche posted: »

considering he's one of the few characters to help out and not fuck anything up...?

• Meh, I never consider the fanservice, I just like reminders that it's supposed to take place in the comic universe.
    I have no idea when New Frontier takes place though, issue-wise.

He did absolutely nothing another character couldn't have done and he's blatantly just there for cheap fanservice instead of having any real meaningful character focus/interaction/development, unlike Glenn.

• Hm.

Meh, I never consider the fanservice, I just like reminders that it's supposed to take place in the comic universe. I have no idea when New Frontier takes place though, issue-wise.

• I mean, do comic fans and video game fans really overlap here?
    If anything, I got the impression tumblr was a huge chunk of the players what with the fanart, and all the multicuralism and diversity in the games. (playing as a black little girl? positively unheard of.)

Hm.

• Probably is. What's the relevance again?

Even though she doesn't look black, but HEY!

I mean, do comic fans and video game fans really overlap here? If anything, I got the impression tumblr was a huge chunk of the players wha

• It got a little silly in season 2. We just met indian Sarita and then next episode indian Reggie. Are there that many indians in the south? And I know Luke is just tumblrbait. Even though he's white.
    What am I talking about again?

Probably is. What's the relevance again? Even though she doesn't look black, but HEY!

• We just met indian Sarita and then next episode indian Reggie. Are there that many indians in the south?

Actually, Rajeev is apparently Pakistani. Another example of Season 2.5's stance on racial equality, I'm sure.

But yeah, I thought so too.

And I know Luke is just tumblrbait. Even though he's white.

Honestly, I was always of the impression that Luke got something of a dismissive reception in part because he was a white boy.

What am I talking about again?

Idk, you tell me.

It got a little silly in season 2. We just met indian Sarita and then next episode indian Reggie. Are there that many indians in the south? And I know Luke is just tumblrbait. Even though he's white. What am I talking about again?

• Actually, Rajeev is apparently Pakistani. Another example of Season 2.5's stance on racial equality, I'm sure. But yeah, I thought so too.

What? Argh, I thought for sure that was an indian accent. I could barely hear them talking in the background while I'm rushing through the pen HUB trying to talk to everyone before the timer runs out and Troy comes back.
    I really need to brush up on my walking dead lore, apparently. Which would mean a trip to the wiki... except wikis are all giving my computer shit these days.
    I'm not sure if that's harder to swallow or not.

Honestly, I was always of the impression that Luke got something of a dismissive reception in part because he was a white boy.

He got a dismissive reception? News to me. My impression was pretty different, although I never really liked him.

Idk, you tell me.

I need a hobby.

We just met indian Sarita and then next episode indian Reggie. Are there that many indians in the south? Actually, Rajeev is apparen

• I really need to brush up on my walking dead lore, apparently. Which would mean a trip to the wiki... except wikis are all giving my computer shit these days.
    I'm not sure if that's harder to swallow or not.

Eh, there was a time where going to the wiki was more of a hassle than it really needed to be, so I can believe that.

What? Argh, I thought for sure that was an indian accent. I could barely hear them talking in the background while I'm rushing through the pen HUB trying to talk to everyone before the timer runs out and Troy comes back.

I don't remember if they specifically mention it there, but yeah, you get a little bit of backstory about why he's called Reggie.

He got a dismissive reception? News to me. My impression was pretty different, although I never really liked him.

Well, there was the whole "He's a pedophile" and/or "He's a spy for Carver" things that were floating around for a while.

Actually, Rajeev is apparently Pakistani. Another example of Season 2.5's stance on racial equality, I'm sure. But yeah, I thought so too.

• Eh, there was a time where going to the wiki was more of a hassle than it really needed to be, so I can believe that.

Not like this, I'm sure. The pages load all fucked up and the images don't show up.

I don't remember if they specifically mention it there, but yeah, you get a little bit of backstory about why he's called Reggie.

Well, another silly thing from season 2. You can barely focus on Reggie telling his backstory because you have a literal timer in the pen where you have to check everything else. Good thinking. Not to mention its one of the few big hubs in season 2.
    Whoever decided to put an unseen timer on that scene deserves a "dumbass of the year" award in my opinion.

Well, there was the whole "He's a pedophile" and/or "He's a spy for Carver" things that were floating around for a while.

Pfft, people said Omid was a pedophile too.
    I have to admit one guy (on 4chan, I think I read this) had a pretty interesting proposal for "pedophile luke"
    The idea was that at a certain point Luke would gradually reveal his intentions to Clem and try to have his way with her. When she of course refuses, he forces himself on her. But at the last second Clem is saved by... Nick! So the fuck up, Nick, would redeem himself and end up being the real hero while the "fake hero" that is Luke is revealed to be what it always felt like he was: a scam, a fake persona to lure people in. Maybe Nick would even kill Luke with that hunting rifle. Nick would of course be absolutely in shock during all this.
    In a way, it would close off both their character arcs. What do you think? It's definitely edgy as hell. But honestly I was always waiting for something that dark to happen in season 2, and it never did.

I really need to brush up on my walking dead lore, apparently. Which would mean a trip to the wiki... except wikis are all giving my compute

• Not like this, I'm sure. The pages load all fucked up and the images don't show up.

Yeah, that's happened to me once. I've also had a period of time where the page would barely load anything for quite the wait.

Well, another silly thing from season 2. You can barely focus on Reggie telling his backstory because you have a literal timer in the pen where you have to check everything else. Good thinking. Not to mention its one of the few big hubs in season 2.
    Whoever decided to put an unseen timer on that scene deserves a "dumbass of the year" award in my opinion.

On some aspect, I can sorta see the use for a section like that. Unfortunately, this doesn't really pay it off.

Pfft, people said Omid was a pedophile too.

To be fair, that was mainly the delivery of his reaction--anyone would be inclined to get that vibe.

I have to admit one guy (on 4chan, I think I read this) had a pretty interesting proposal for "pedophile luke"
    The idea was that at a certain point Luke would gradually reveal his intentions to Clem and try to have his way with her. When she of course refuses, he forces himself on her. But at the last second Clem is saved by... Nick! So the fuck up, Nick, would redeem himself and end up being the real hero while the "fake hero" that is Luke is revealed to be what it always felt like he was: a scam, a fake persona to lure people in. >Maybe Nick would even kill Luke with that hunting rifle. Nick would of course be absolutely in shock during all this.
    In a way, it would close off both their character arcs. What do you think? It's definitely edgy as hell. But honestly I was always waiting for something that dark to happen in season 2, and it never did.

You see, it's fanficy shit like that I really don't like. And that's not to say fanfics are generally complete shit--I've been invested in a number of them over the past year--but overly edgy/wanky, character assassinating Ron the Death Eater shit like that is really pushing it.

Might be another reason why Jane and to an extent David ended up pissing me off.

Eh, there was a time where going to the wiki was more of a hassle than it really needed to be, so I can believe that. Not like this,

• edited November 2017

Yeah, that's happened to me once. I've also had a period of time where the page would barely load anything for quite the wait.

Except I'm pretty sure it's just my computer and not the wiki.

On some aspect, I can sorta see the use for a section like that. Unfortunately, this doesn't really pay it off.

Yeah I know what the deal is dude, but it doesn't work when you almost NEVER have HUBS in the first place. All it does is piss me the fuck off that I have to rush everything to fit it all in. And yeah, the first time I had to restart the chapter because I didn't know I couldn't take my time. Fuckin peachy.

To be fair, that was mainly the delivery of his reaction--anyone would be inclined to get that vibe.

He does sort of look creepy at first, too. But you lose that impression almost immediately.
    Still, did anyone actually think that leaving him with clem was a bad idea, for that reason?

You see, it's fanficy shit like that I really don't like. And that's not to say fanfics are generally complete shit--I've been invested in a number of them over the past year--but overly edgy/wanky, character assassinating Ron the Death Eater shit like that is really pushing it.

No dude, I'm not doing it justice with my text. The way he wrote it out, it was believable and I could picture it. I should look for that post in the archives. I still think we need a proper sex offender/pedophile character for this apocalyptic scenario. Why is graphic violence okay, but sexual themes are almost completely absent? Isn't the game rated M? Lee should have been all over Carley in the first season, pardon my bluntness.

Might be another reason why Jane and to an extent David ended up pissing me off.

Come off it, dude. I already know why they piss you off, they got more screentime over characters you like and in some cases shat all over them too. I get it. But we don't need to keep beating that dead horse.

Not like this, I'm sure. The pages load all fucked up and the images don't show up. Yeah, that's happened to me once. I've also had

• Yeah I know what the deal is dude, but it doesn't work when you almost NEVER have HUBS in the first place. All it does is piss me the fuck off that I have to rush everything to fit it all in. And yeah, the first time I had to restart the chapter because I didn't know I couldn't take my time. Fuckin peachy.

Exactly.

He does sort of look creepy at first, too. But you lose that impression almost immediately.
    Still, did anyone actually think that leaving him with clem was a bad idea, for that reason?

Eh, apparently so. I remember seeing at least two people saying something to that vague effect.

No dude, I'm not doing it justice with my text. The way he wrote it out, it was believable and I could picture it. I should look for that post in the archives.
    I still think we need a proper sex offender/pedophile character for this apocalyptic scenario. Why is graphic violence okay, but sexual themes are almost completely absent? Isn't the game rated M? Lee should have been all over Carley in the first season, pardon my bluntness.

Eh.

Depends on how it's implemented, I suppose.

Come off it, dude. I already know why they piss you off, they got more screentime over characters you like and in some cases shat all over them too. I get it. But we don't need to keep beating that dead horse.

Well, in David's case, the ultimate dislike comes more from how they attempt to make him this unearned tragic figure/villain at the last minute/hour, having him hijack the plot(one that had already been preemptively hijacked in a way, even though he was apparently never supposed to be the villain of to begin with) in a hamfisted manner and shamelessly rehashing the whole "Angry Dad" climax--again! In an episode/finale that's already a complete mess with an extremely watered down version of what we were promised, no less.

Cause I honestly don't think he got that much screentime or especially development despite how it might ultimately feel, unlike Kenny and Jane.

Yeah, that's happened to me once. I've also had a period of time where the page would barely load anything for quite the wait. Excep

• Humpity Bumpity!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.