Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [“No”] Aah, this is a surprisingly hard choice, because I'm sure it will affect on Jaron's way to approach this mission/journey/whatever you want to call it. That said, I think it is better for Jaron to go into this with the mindset that he could perhaps spare Ryder, if the man indeed deserves it. I'm not sure if I'll truly be able to choose to stand in Samuel's way when the time comes, but we should at least keep Jaron open to that option.

Anyway, I really liked this part. We are starting to get some exposition regarding the situation in Essos, and I feel like Jaron's fish out of water perspective will once again serve well in bringing the Free Cities into the story. Hearing more of Donna's thoughts was also nice, and her having this connection to both of the Harrington's is certainly interesting. I wonder if we are ever gonna see her again? Jaron's farewell moment with Ayden and Taria was also nice, though with them I'm pretty positive they'll find their way into some other storyline sooner or later =)

Jaron There was no choice he truly had here. It was either having Samuel's support, or losing it. He wouldn't take his chances, he needed

• edited December 2017

[“No”] While he's not entirely sure himself, he's not technically lying, and in the end it will be up to Samuel to decide if he lives or dies.

Arryn Blackwell, an odd name, considering he has the name of a noble house as first name, not unheard of, but unusual.

Donna is a pretty nice gal, wonder if we will see her again, maybe on Keath's POV

• Apologies for my long absence, those were busy times for me. I'm glad to see that the story is moving on in the most interesting way :) Don't worry about my project - it's still going on, although I had to take a short pause.

[“No”]

• ["Yes] It would be a real piece of shit move to make a deal, then back away from it just because you already got what you wanted. Besides, we don't really want a guy like Samuel to be our enemy, especially if we're going to Essos. I don't think Jaron has to be the one to kill Ryder, that Samuel's job, but he shouldn't interfere either if the confrontation ever happens. A knight in shining armor like him has to keep his word, amirite?

Oh and by the way Liquid, I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you a pm ;)

Jaron There was no choice he truly had here. It was either having Samuel's support, or losing it. He wouldn't take his chances, he needed

• You bring up a good point there and it is something I indeed tried to put some value on. Book 1 had morally ambiguous PoV's, though most of them were fundamentally good for the most part. The most ambiguous ones, Torvin and Marak, died, while Kersea left behind those elements of her storyline that made her a borderline villain at times. As a result, I kinda feel the need to present PoV's that have some moral ambiguity going on (not that characters such as Kersea are fully fledged heroes in any way). Jaron himself has done questionable things before, especially in the heat of the moment, though he actually remains one of the characters that at least want to keep their morals and honour as intact as possible. I can promise, there will be further tests for these down the line, though pick the right choices and it should at least be possible to keep his moral compass largely intact, probably at some other cost though.

DiverseGnu posted: »

[“No”] All the protagonists are starting to step into grayer areas, Jaron should keep to his goody two shoe ways for as long as possible.

• Aah, this is a surprisingly hard choice, because I'm sure it will affect on Jaron's way to approach this mission/journey/whatever you want to call it. That said, I think it is better for Jaron to go into this with the mindset that he could perhaps spare Ryder, if the man indeed deserves it. I'm not sure if I'll truly be able to choose to stand in Samuel's way when the time comes, but we should at least keep Jaron open to that option.

Hehe, I was hoping to make it a hard choice. Just to be clear, this is not the final decision on wether or not Jaron will go through with killing Ryder/assisting to kill him. However, it will help him making up his mind and at least for the time being, it will mean that he intends to fully support Samuel. Standing in his way, that is probably not the most healthy choice, but outright siding against Ryder could give him an equally dangerous opponent, so Jaron's loyalties and opinions in this conflict should be considered carefully.

Anyway, I really liked this part. We are starting to get some exposition regarding the situation in Essos, and I feel like Jaron's fish out of water perspective will once again serve well in bringing the Free Cities into the story. Hearing more of Donna's thoughts was also nice, and her having this connection to both of the Harrington's is certainly interesting. I wonder if we are ever gonna see her again? Jaron's farewell moment with Ayden and Taria was also nice, though with them I'm pretty positive they'll find their way into some other storyline sooner or later =)

Very glad you liked it :) I plan on giving both, him and John a storyline in the Free Cities, to probably further contrast how a newcomer such as Jaron sees them when compared to a Free City veteran such as John. Jaron is probably going to be the more prominent of the two in terms of PoV's though, as I have a feeling I will enjoy showing these locations through the eyes of someone completely inexperienced in that culture. As for Donna, I can confirm we will see her again, though definitely not in Jaron's storyline. Ayden and Taria meanwhile, it would probably be better if this was the last we've seen of them, for their sake at least, but it might just be that some other PoV will cross their path and there will be more than enough in Book 2 Oldtown (and Book 3 Oldtown, while we're at it).

[“No”] Aah, this is a surprisingly hard choice, because I'm sure it will affect on Jaron's way to approach this mission/journey/whatever you

• While he's not entirely sure himself, he's not technically lying, and in the end it will be up to Samuel to decide if he lives or dies.

You are right, the final choice is likely going to be with Samuel. However, Ryder won't just lie down and die and Jaron's support or lack of it could definitely be what determines Samuel's success or failure. Their fight in Chapter 9 showed that Ryder is Samuel's equal or even better than him, so if left without Jaron's support, Samuel's chances of winning will decrease dramatically.

Arryn Blackwell, an odd name, considering he has the name of a noble house as first name, not unheard of, but unusual.

Hehe, I knew someone would bring this up. It has not been explained in their submission, but my explanation for this is that the Blackwell father has been an Arryn soldier who, similar to the parents of Royce Coldwater from the books, wanted to express his loyalty to his liege. It did not help him when he was forced to flee the Vale after commiting a serious crime and the Blackwell family, with them the young Arryn and Ayden, grew up in the Free Cities. Over there, few wonder about his name, but this will definitely be brought up in the story by the Westerosi acquaintances he is going to make.

Donna is a pretty nice gal, wonder if we will see her again, maybe on Keath's POV

She is indeed nice, there's not many who would actually try to get through to both, Samuel and Ryder, who are equally stubborn and reclusive. She managed to even win Ryder's favour and the fact that she still became quick friends with Samuel is quite a feat. I can confirm, we will see her again and given that Keat has business with Hishi, he's definitely one good possibility.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[“No”] While he's not entirely sure himself, he's not technically lying, and in the end it will be up to Samuel to decide if he lives or die

• Ah, welcome back, glad you managed to catch up again. I hope you successfully got through these busy times. It's also nice to hear you are still working on that project. I am really excited about it and as I said before, if there is anything I can help you with, do not hesitate to ask me :)

Apologies for my long absence, those were busy times for me. I'm glad to see that the story is moving on in the most interesting way Don't worry about my project - it's still going on, although I had to take a short pause. [“No”]

• It would be a real piece of shit move to make a deal, then back away from it just because you already got what you wanted. Besides, we don't really want a guy like Samuel to be our enemy, especially if we're going to Essos. I don't think Jaron has to be the one to kill Ryder, that Samuel's job, but he shouldn't interfere either if the confrontation ever happens. A knight in shining armor like him has to keep his word, amirite?

Yeah, this is something that has to be considered. Jaron gave his word, to Joshawa and Samuel, so is breaking it truly more honourable than going through with it, even if the deed Samuel plans to do is more than just a bit ambiguous in terms of morals. Jaron is definitely not planning to be the one to kill Ryder though, he knows this is Samuel's duty. And yeah, previous choices have at least put some value on him keeping his word, so this would only further strengthen this aspect of his character.

Oh and by the way Liquid, I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you a pm ;)

Yes, yes I've seen it and I am very, very sorry for not answering so far. The last couple of days have been extremely busy for me, I barely managed to write the new part in time and have acquired a bit of a back log in terms of messages. I try to answer today or tomorrow, but I can assure you, I have definitely seen it and like what you bring up there :)

["Yes] It would be a real piece of shit move to make a deal, then back away from it just because you already got what you wanted. Besides,

• I think that I will like each outcomes of this choice so I will not vote (for now)

RT:
    1)Our heroes are really lucky that the Harrington brothers sidequest will be in the same direction of the main one
    2)Abbas and Bakr really need some supporters since they are outnumbered by the good guys
    3)It was a nice read the,very probably, last moments inside all the story that Jaron meet with Ayden and Taria
    4)Ayden has a brother that maybe can become part of the Jaron group?Jaron party is going to be even bigger!
    5)Samuel,my old friend we finally meet again!You really look...meh (until Jaron give you the good news)
    6)Donna is a really good judge of character! And one phrase that she said is maybe one of my favorite inside all the story!
    7)In the end..big news people!After 10 (9+1) chapters Jaron is going to leave Oldtown!

I'm happy to announce that after the critically acclaimed RT I'm going to introduce inside my posts the BQD aka the Best Quote of the Day where I will out my favorite phrase/conversation of the new part! But after all this boring explanation this is the first BQD:

Donna Flowers:
    “But can a bad man never change? Is it worth to destroy something good in order to punish something evil?”

• I think that I will like each outcomes of this choice so I will not vote (for now)

Ah, that is always a nice situation. I guess I can say in advance that the winning option will be one you like XD

1)Our heroes are really lucky that the Harrington brothers sidequest will be in the same direction of the main one

Well, kind of the same direction. From their current position, every place in Essos will be in the same direction, east. However, Volantis is pretty much the Oldtown of Essos, though even larger. They have one major problem, because it took Samuel years to find Ryder in Oldtown, so imagine how much worse it will be in Volantis if they don't find some sort of help (albeit, admittedly, part of Samuel needing so much time was the result of Mullendore playing him).

2)Abbas and Bakr really need some supporters since they are outnumbered by the good guys

Yeah, if Joshawa is right, they aim to do just that. Of course, they don't know that so many people will be after them, but they are outnumbered even by their own prisoners, so undoubtedly, Abbas will seek some additional help. They won't remain a bad guy duo, this much I promise ;)

3)It was a nice read the,very probably, last moments inside all the story that Jaron meet with Ayden and Taria

It possibly was indeed the last time Jaron saw either of them. Here's the thing, even the best outcome that is currently imaginable for his storyline, reuniting with Harpy and starting a new life with her, would bring up the question, why would either of them ever wish to return to Oldtown? Why would Ayden and Taria stay in Oldtown for the rest of their lives? And this does not take into account the less desirable outcomes, with any combination of Jaron/Harpy/Ayden/Taria not actually surviving until the end of the story. This was goodbye, unless a fateful circumstance brings them back together.

4)Ayden has a brother that maybe can become part of the Jaron group?Jaron party is going to be even bigger!

Aye, Arryn Blackwell, an upcoming new character and Ayden's estranged brother. If he can be convinced to join, he might be a valuable asset. And I can say that he won't be the only possible party member Jaron can gain. Further allies will come down the road, some of them joining for certain, some for their own reasons, others might be missable or mutually exclusive, but Jaron definitely doesn't have to do this alone. At the same time, the amount of adversaries to overcome will grow way beyond Abbas and Bakr as well, so additional help is very much mandatory.

5)Samuel,my old friend we finally meet again!You really look...meh (until Jaron give you the good news)

Yeah, Samuel is not in the best condition in this very moment. Having lost against Ryder has pushed him into a very dark place in his mind and even though Donna tries to help, she has not fully gotten through to him. His looks and spirit might improve now that Jaron gave him the lead he has been looking for.

6)Donna is a really good judge of character! And one phrase that she said is maybe one of my favorite inside all the story!

I guess she has to be a very good judge of character in her line of work and there's a reason why she is Hishi's favourite. Several reasons probably, but Donna is definitely one who can see through people, even those that are hard to read, such as Ryder and Samuel.

7)In the end..big news people!After 10 (9+1) chapters Jaron is going to leave Oldtown!

It's been long enough, hasn't it? Many characters will have a change of scenery, but few will have it as drastic as Jaron who leaves Westeros for the first time in his life. A new adventure awaits, great hardships to overcome and well, the outcome is completely open and that is what I am quite excited for.

I'm happy to announce that after the critically acclaimed RT I'm going to introduce inside my posts the BQD aka the Best Quote of the Day where I will out my favorite phrase/conversation of the new part! But after all this boring explanation this is the first BQD:

Now, that is a very nice idea, I like it! I don't know if I manage to give something quote-worthy in every single part to come, but I shall try my best to give you material here. This particular quote is actually one I rewrote a couple times because I liked the message behind it, so I wanted to make it a strong one. Hopefully I succeeded at that. And well, it is also important to think about in this storyline, Donna's words will stick with Jaron in some way. She is the first to bring this up, to sort of combine the conflicting accounts we have about Ryder so far and also to ask if Samuel's quite justified desire for vengeance is worth ending Ryder's life despite the actually decent man the latter seems to have become in recent years. A major theme in the Harrington storyline to come, so I am glad you enjoyed the quote :)

I think that I will like each outcomes of this choice so I will not vote (for now) RT: 1)Our heroes are really lucky that the Harrington

• [“Yes”]

Throwback to my latest return comment.

• [''No"]

• [“No”]

Eh, let the poor sap live. We're just doing this whole schtick to get Samuel's help anyhow.

Man, I'm going to miss Ayden. I hope we don't see him again, I don't want something terrible to happen. Sad, like when John and Daghan had to leave.

Who knows, maybe they will see each other again. Maybe not.

• Man, I'm going to miss Ayden. I hope we don't see him again, I don't want something terrible to happen. Sad, like when John and Daghan had to leave.

Who knows, maybe they will see each other again. Maybe not.

It is indeed relying on a lot of maybes. I can at least firmly say that there is no chance for another meeting with Jaron in a very long time, given that he will undergo a super dangerous journey to the other end of the known world. Ayden and Taria meanwhile, they are hopefully going to leave Oldtown, but who knows, the promise of loads of work for someone such as Ayden can be tempting. If he stays in Oldtown, well, I'd say that won't be a smart thing to do, given that this is not the place one would want their family to live. At the same time, if he stays, chances are we will see him and/or Taria again in some other storyline, as there will be several Oldtown PoV's in Book 2 beyond just Keat.

[“No”] Eh, let the poor sap live. We're just doing this whole schtick to get Samuel's help anyhow. Man, I'm going to miss Ayden. I hop

• The Voting is closed!

Jaron is going to say that he has no intention of killing Ryder Harrington

A very interesting outcome, as I must say. I was pretty sure you'd majorly vote in favour of the other option and it seems I have been proven wrong. Well, as with the last Jaron choice, this one alone won't decide if he truly goes through with it or not. Other circumstances and future decisions will matter a lot and the ultimate outcome of the Harrington situation is also going to have a major effect on Jaron himself and the continuation of his personal arc, so these choices are ultimately truly going to matter. For now, they shape his character a bit more, though you'll get further chances to do this with the choices in his next chapter. This was the final part of his Chapter 1 storyline, as well as his final part in Oldtown, after almost three years out-of-story in which his entire story happened in this one city. I for one am super excited to finally show him somewhere else but Oldtown. I am excited for Chapter 2 in general and this is why I shall try to close the votings a bit faster, so that we may get through with Chapter 1 before the end of this year. It seems likely, very likely.

The next part, as such, is going to be out today. It will be the final part of Ysilla's storyline in this chapter. Last time we saw her, she arrived at the brothel owned by Myriah Watermont, where she suspected her brother, Theodan, to be. She burst into a meeting between Myriah and House Martell's spymistress, Absidee of Lys. Myriah and Absidee proceeded to react to this interruption by simply involving her in their plans. As it turns out, they had expected a declaration of war from Aegon and as such, have sent out to find knowledge on how to defeat them. Crucial for this is a man named Laryl Callace, who has, however, left Dorne some time ago. To find him, Absidee works with the brother of Lord Manwoody, Dagar, who himself is living outside of Dorne and who has a questionable reputation in these lands. And now, Absidee hopes for Ysilla's help as well, pretty much convincing her by claiming that her family in Godsgrace will be in danger if Aegon successfuly wages war against Dorne. Then, the spymistress left, with the order that Ysilla should meet her back at the castle to discuss the final details of what she herself is supposed to do. Afterwards, Ysilla finally went to meet her brother, catching him right in the act with a prostitute. Shaken by anger and relief, she decided to slap him for the trouble he caused her, then hug him for, well, being her brother. We'll start with the next part right where her last one went off.

On another note, I have recently acquired the Game of Thrones Season 7 Blu Ray and what can I say, the War of Conquest animation that's on it is beyond amazing, they outdid themselves there. Actually seeing animations of the characters I have written about for so long and of some of the events I plan to write about has been quite a nice experience and provided some interesting inspiration (and one detail that hasn't been confirmed before has already been on my mind before being featured there). Perhaps the thing I like the most though is how some of the characters even look pretty much as I imagined and as Wildling drew them. No, really, check Loren and Meria (how the hell is she reading that letter though?) for example and compare them to the drawings, or others I have no screencaps of right now. Of course, some, such as Harren and Argilac do look quite differently in FoT, but the fact that some look very similar is definitely an amazing coincidence and I love it :D But yeah, if you haven't seen it already (and, importantly, already know what happens because I absolutely plan to show these events in Book 2 and 3 of FoT, so spoiler alert for some), go check it out, it's on Youtube.

• Hah, Meria especially is basically exactly as I drew her, the clothes and all! Then again, I guess an old and fat Dornish princess with thin white hair is going to look pretty similar drawn by any artist :p Anyway, I definitely need to check out the full animation at some point, perhaps I'll get some inspiration for future drawings as well :)

The Voting is closed! Jaron is going to say that he has no intention of killing Ryder Harrington A very interesting outcome, as I must

• edited December 2017

Ysilla

Following her first impulse, Ysilla smacked her hand into Theodan's face, catching him by surprise. He staggered back, but before he could sink onto the bed again, she grabbed him by the shoulders and pulled him into a hug, burying her head in his shoulder. “Wha... what is happening?”, Theodan mumbled and she sighed.

“You asshole”, she whispered. “You damn asshole, I told you not to go” She separated from him again, giving him a sharp glare, to which he raised his eyebrow, oblivious to the nature of her anger. “What is this about?”, he asked. “I'm kinda in the middle of something right now”

“Yeah, I can see that!”, she spat, while the woman in the bed was looking on in confusion. She noticed Myriah behind Ysilla and relaxed somewhat. “But we're leaving. Now! You can finish another time” For a moment, Theodan seemed to wait, as if he was hoping she'd just play a trick on him. But he knew her better than that. He saw the genuine anger on her face, her clenched fists, the wet eyes. She had been worried sick and seeing him here, it caused this feeling to surface.

“But... I kinda paid good coin for this”, he complained, even if he was already moving to the pile of his clothes on the chair next to the bed. Behind Ysilla, Myriah chuckled. “We do offer a discount for returning customers”, she brought up. “Feel free to return whenever you like”

With a sigh, Theodan reached for his pants and thankfully began to cover himself, while Ysilla crossed her arms. “Fine”, he mumbled. “But can someone please tell me what's going on?” Ysilla frowned. “The Sandstorm has reached Sunspear”, she revealed and noticed a near-instant shift in stance and expression on her brother's face. He could be a careless arse, but he was still her brother and a warrior of Godsgrace. “Several people have died. The city is not safe and Princess Meria has ordered you back to the castle”

“Fuck...”, Theodan mumbled, as he reached for his vest. Concern appeared on his face, as he approached her. “Are you alright?” Ysilla hesitated for a moment, before she gave him a wordless nod. “I was worried for you”, she stated. “This... has not been a good day” She kept silent about the boy she had to kill, or about the declaration of war she had witnessed earlier. He'd learn about both in due time, but for now, she just wanted to get out of this building and back to the castle.

Theodan gave her a long, serious look. “I understand”, he said, before he turned to the prostitute, who was still lying on her bed with a look of disappointment. “My velvet rose, forgive me, but I have to leave” He gave her a wink, to which the woman smirked slyly. “Be assured, I shall return one day”

With these words, he finished putting on his vest and went down to put on his boots. Afterwards, he smiled at Ysilla and Myriah. “Well then, shall we go?”, he asked. “It is not seemly to make a princess wait” Ysilla raised her eyebrow and despite all that had happened, she had to chuckle at his audacious claim. “You made her wait today!”, she reminded him.

To this, Theodan shrugged. “Ah, that council meeting?”, he asked. “What matter of value is discussed there?” He glanced at the prostitute, his smile widening. “I bet I found a more pleasant way to spend my afternoon”

Myriah chuckled, as the three walked out of the room and down the hallway. “You are undoubtedly right, yet also very, very wrong at the same time”, she assured him. “Pleasant it might have been, but you certainly missed something, if what Dee told me is true”

Theodan exchanged a look with Ysilla, noticing her serious expression. “Dee... Lady Absidee?”, he asked, before Ysilla sighed. “Yeah”, she told him. “I... might have gotten myself into something right there” She paused again for a moment, as they entered the brothel's entrance hall. “Lady Absidee wishes to speak to me once we return to the castle”

Her brother narrowed his eyes. “What does the Banshee want from you?”, he asked, his voice suddenly low and cautious. Ysilla smirked, as she playfully punched Theodan's arm. “Don't get mad now”, she spoke. “You know I can look after myself”

“Yeah, but Absidee...”, Theodan brought up. “I don't know. I don't like you spending time with that woman. She's unpredictable, never know what to expect from her” Behind him, Myriah bit onto her lower lip. “Ah, don't let her hear that”, she warned him, before giving him a wink. “Though Dee is not too bad, once you get to know her. Just try to stay on her good side and all should be good”

“That's not very reassuring”, Theodan replied and put a hand onto Ysilla's shoulder. “What have you gotten yourself into now?” Ysilla rolled her eyes. “Nothing I can't handle”, she assured him. “But why don't you hear it for yourself? Come with me to the meeting with Absidee” Briefly, she glanced at Myriah. “Would... that be a good idea? You know her better than us”

Myriah thought about this for a moment, before giving her a nod. “Absidee might not like it”, she admitted. “But she can work with it. Having your brother by your side could be important to you, so I say do it. Dee won't be mad at you, probably”

Theodan sighed, though he gave her a nod. “Then that's what we're going to do”, he spoke and walked out into the street. Ysilla remained a moment longer, clenching her fists. “I am not quite sure if I know what I have gotten myself into”, she admitted and Myriah shrugged. “Sweet girl, neither have I”, she admitted. “Though I know, you can trust Absidee. You want what is best for Dorne and so does she”

Ysilla pressed her lips together, before she nodded silently. “We'll see”, she spoke. “Farewell” With these words, she followed after Theodan, quickly catching up to him. Wordlessly, her brother put an arm around her and she pressed herself against him, as they hurried through the streets of Sunspear, to the castle looming above.

They reached it not long afterwards. Walking up the stairs that led to the gates, Ysilla noticed the men watching them from the walls and as such, it was no surprise that Razek um Daar himself awaited them once they passed through the high gates and into the large courtyard of the castle.

Formerly an Unsullied, Razek lacked muscles or facial hair, and, as Elia Aspys would never tire to ridicule, his manhood, yet his lean body betrayed an underlying strength. With a shorn head and smooth, dark skin, Ysilla found it hard to guess his age and he was one of the few people even she would cower before if he'd glare at her. Always tensed up, Razek was never seen without spear and shield, the former tucked below the arm holding the latter.

As soon as they entered the courtyard, his free hand formed a closed fist and briefly moved to his heart. “The princess awaits you”, he stated with his stern voice, the hint of his guttural Ghiscari accent still present in his otherwise flawless common tongue and Ysilla raised an eyebrow. “Both of us?”, she asked, apparently catching the captain off guard. “She did not specify this”, he admitted. “Neither of you is armed, nor would be a threat if, so I'll allow it”

He turned around and it was all the siblings needed to follow. Never one to indulge in small talk, Razek was silent during the way, though Ysilla noticed Theodan looking at her. “What?”, she asked and he smiled. “I just have to wonder”, he revealed. “Father always called me the irresponsible one and yet you're the one dragged into something quite terrible, whereas all I did was indulging with a lady of pleasure”

Ysilla smirked. “Yeah, but only one of us is the heir to Godsgrace”, she reminded him. “Besides, it was more than just one... lady of pleasure. Surely you haven't forgotten Loreza Vaith?” Theodan chuckled, his grin bordering on audaciousness. “Trust me, little sister, I think of Lady Loreza every single day, sometimes twice when I'm in the mood”, he revealed and she rolled her eyes and punched his arm again, a bit harder this time.

With this, they came to a familiar part of the castle. It was larger than Godsgrace and as such, Ysilla had found it hard to find her way through these wide, open hallways, but she remembered this part. Princess Meria's council room was located here and indeed, Razek led them right to it.

The doors stood open, two guards in front of them, Razek's elite. Behind it, Ysilla already saw several familiar people. Five in total, the most unmistakable was Meria Martell herself, though Ysilla was only marginally surprised she brought her son and granddaughter with her.

It always surprised her that these three were actually family, for neither looked anything like the other. There was Meria, wrinkled and bloated, bald, blind and yet unbroken. Her son and heir was sitting to her right. Nymor was a thin man, two heads taller than his mother and though thirty years younger, Ysilla considered it unlikely he would reach her remarkable age, for he was already pale and a bit on the sickly side. His hair heavily receding, age had caught up with him early, leaving him grey and often with a dour expression. He was weak in body and Ysilla was not convinced he could live up to his mother's example in any way. If there was anyone who could do it, it would be his own daughter.

Perhaps more baffling than the relation between the fat Meria and her gaunt son was the fact that there was actually such a close relation between the plain Nymor and the radiant Princess Deria. Or between her and her grandmother, for that. Her skin a shade darker than Nymor's or Meria's, her hair was of a warm brown and even in this relatively informal meeting, she looked like a princess at court day, clad in fine silk, the dress strategically leaving her belly uncovered, her neck adorned by a golden chain that once belonged to her mother. If her goal was to draw attention towards her, she succeeded with Theodan and Ysilla.

Then there was Absidee, of course. The spymistress had switched into something more familiar with her, only slightly less lavish than Deria's. Light blue, it had a low-cut collar and would have exposed a lot of her cleavage, if not for the white scarf, adorned by the Martell sigil, which she had wrapped around her neck, probably to Theodan's disappointment.

And finally, Sarina Manwoody. No less beautiful than Deria, she had pale skin and black hair, falling down onto her shoulders in soft, wavy locks. A demure dress of black and golden, the skull of Manwoody stitched prominently onto both shoulders, hid her slim figure and she looked at them out of big, attentive brown eyes.

“It's Lady Ysilla and her brother”, Nymor introduced them to his blind mother and a wide smile formed on Meria's face. Deria, almost lying in her chair, played with a lock of her hair as she looked at Theodan, while Absidee narrowed her eyes. Sarina meanwhile had a neutral expression on her face, though she was cautious, Ysilla could see this much.

“You weren't supposed to bring your brother, child”, Absidee hissed and Theodan chuckled. “I brought myself, mylady”, he stated. “And if you don't like this, then you can always order the good captain to throw me out”

Deria chuckled at his words. “Always so brazen”, she spoke and it was a compliment coming from her. Theodan took a step forwards, even past Ysilla and took a deep bow in front of the sitting attendees. “Princess Meria, you look radiant”, he chirped, to which the old princess cackled. “Not that I could tell”, she said. “Though I'll take your word for it”

“And Princess Deria...”, Theodan said, bowing even deeper, a move that caused the princess to raise an eyebrow. “Would you care for a dance later on, beneath moon and stars? I shall bring my lute and the finest of wines” He smirked, an expression Deria reciprocated, even if she was slightly baffled by his boldness. “Always too brazen”, she stated. “As long as it has been, another dance would be hardly appropriate, given the... circumstances. And yet, this should be interesting. Don't you agree, father?”

Nymor frowned. “Yes”, he admitted. “Interesting” The word resembled a curse coming from him. Finally, Meria clapped her hands. “As amused as I am by your antics, you have been called for a reason”, she roared with her raspy voice. “Absidee, please, inform us all why we are here today”

Absidee nodded firmly and rose from her chair. While she spoke, she moved up and forth through the room, restless, her fists clenched. “Of course, my princess”, she replied. “As most of you know, we are at war” This revelation was all that was necessary for Theodan to stop his glances at Princess Deria, or the occasional at Sarina, fully focussing onto the Lysene woman. “War?”, he growled.

A cold smirk formed on Absidee's face. “Aegon the Dragonlord has declared war on Westeros”, she spoke, something Ysilla had a few hours to cope with. Theodan however just now learned about it, his eyes widening. “All Westeros?”, he asked, to which Absidee nodded grimly. “Before you call him mad, keep in mind that he has three fully grown dragons under his command. If there is any power in the world that could unite the seven kingdoms, it's him and his beasts”

Theodan looked at Ysilla, grabbing her hand and holding it gently. “What have you gotten yourself into right there?”, he whispered and she shrugged. “An adventure, hopefully”, she replied with a grin, though even then, it could not fully hide her nervousness.

“Surely it will be an adventure”, Sarina replied. “Though if what Absidee told me is true, then it won't be the kind I'd like to have” She glanced at the spymistress, who shot her a brief glare for the interruption. “There are kingdoms in Westeros who have been hit without warning. Harren Hoare was too busy building his castle to look beyond his borders. Argilac the Arrogant, that stag-headed buffoon, was and is ignorant. But others have warned about Aegon's ambition for years”

“I believe the man's name is Callace, right?”, Ysilla brought up and Absidee raised an eyebrow. “So, Myriah spoke”, she hissed. “But yes, Laryl Callace. A scholar, a tactician and frankly, a man many here have always seen as a paranoid doomsayer” At least as she said this, Nymor had the decency to look to the ground, perhaps in shame, under his mother's blind glare.

“It was such talk that has driven him away a few years ago, or so he claimed”, Absidee continued. “But he never stopped his concerns. He continued to learn about dragons, their powers, but more importantly, their weaknesses, the ways they could be battled” Removing a strand of pale blonde hair from her face, she mustered the attendees carefully. “He did so out of the genuine love for Dorne that unites every person in this room”, she explained. “He wanted to make sure that we won't waste our time like the fool kings to the north, who will battle the dragons like any other army they ever faced”

“Let me guess, finding this Laryl won't be easy”, Ysilla stated and Absidee shook her head. “He is cautious, admirably so”, she admitted. “Even I found it hard to believe him, but considered it worth keeping an eye on him. But in time, my agents lost track of him. That is until I received a letter a couple weeks ago, one that turns out to be more and more a true godsend”

Quickly exchanging a glance with Sarina, the younger woman sighed. “One of Absidee's agents found Callace in Oldtown”, she revealed. “This agent is none other than my uncle, Dagar Manwoody” Though she herself seemed almost upset at this turn of events, Theodan's smile grew wide and genuine. “The Red Skull!”, he exclaimed. “I wasn't aware you're still in contact with him”

“Well, I am most certainly not”, Sarina assured him. “And should my father hear about this, he won't be happy” Her smirk was not the slightest bit warmer than Absidee's, though an ounce more threatening and it was actually the spymistress who looked away first.

“We're talking about a man I have not seen in seven years and whom even then I have known for less than a year in total”, Sarina continued. “Calling him family is barely appropriate, given that he almost tore my house apart when he seduced my father's original betrothed, my aunt nonetheless. My grandfather wanted to kill him for this, alas, my father is content with keeping him away from Kingsgrave” After revealing this, she sent glares around the room. “Though I have reason to believe that in this room, my family story is still the least awkward”

Absidee gulped. “You see what kind of man the Red Skull is”, she spoke. “I never met the man, only acquired his contact through a mutual friend. Lady Sarina however knows him better than either of us” Sarina nodded grimly. “He is the most irresponsible man I have ever met. Loud and obnoxious, he cares only for the next drink, the next fuck and the next fight instead of his family or his homeland”

Theodan chuckled. “No offence, but he sounds like my kind of guy, really”, he said, to Deria's amusement and Sarina's visible annoyance. “Of course you're birds of a feather, Allyrion”, she replied without missing a beat. “Alas, he is our burden. The worst Manwoody since Albin the Mad, as my grandfather used to say, and Dagar has given me no reason to doubt his words”

“Ouch”, Deria interjected. “Harsh words, dear” Absidee sighed. “You see, Dagar might be a difficult man to get along with, especially in this matter. And yet, he took the time to send me this letter, which means he must at least have some care for his homeland”, she continued. “This is why I want to send a trustworthy agent to meet with him, to locate Laryl Callace and bring him back to Sunspear before the dragon's fire reaches the Red Mountains”

“Time is of the essence”, Meria brought up, her hoarsy voice silencing Absidee at once. “A small group has to pass through the mountains and meet up with Dagar in a village near Uplands” Though blind, her head moved right towards Ysilla. “And after you burst into her meeting, Absidee seems to be assured that you are the right person for this mission”

“We already spoke about this”, Ysilla replied, her heart beating faster. “If Targaryen ever reaches Dorne, my home might be in danger as well. I won't risk this. If there is anything I can do to help in these days, I will do it” Theodan gave her a nod, before briefly kneeling in front of Meria. “If my sister goes, so will I”, he declared. “Princess Meria, you have my sword”

Meria raised an eyebrow, while Deria smiled gently. Nymor meanwhile coughed slightly, his hands clenched to fists. Meanwhile Absidee instantly shook her head. “I don't think this would be a good idea”, she said. “Lady Sarina just brought up a very viable point. You and Dagar Manwoody have a similar past. Exiles, reckless and without an ounce of responsibility”

Feigning to be upset, Theodan pouted playfully as he put a hand onto his chest. “Is that what they say about me?”, he asked and Deria gave him a nod. “Only if they are trying to be nice”, she assured him. Absidee narrowed her eyes. “Besides, I already intend to give you two companions of my own. I believe you already met them, my sellsword guards Allar and Jenelyne”, she revealed.

A smile formed on Ysilla's face. “The cute blonde and her broody gem of a brother?”, she asked. “Mylady, do you aim to sweeten my journey?” Absidee sighed. “Allyrion's”, she mumbled under her breath. “What I mean to say is, the smaller the group, the better your chances of slipping through the Reachmen army that guards the roads through the Red Mountains” She glanced at Sarina. “Besides, wouldn't you agree that Theodan is precisely the wrong person to trust with such a crucial mission?”

To Ysilla's surprise, Sarina seemed genuinely conflicted. “My personal opinion of him aside, I am not sure if I can agree”, she admitted. “He is reckless, perhaps even immature and he doesn't even take offence in it” Proudly, Theodan gave her a nod. “However, so is Dagar. He has never been an easy man to deal with and maybe it takes someone like him to win his trust. Theodan... might either be the worst or the best possible addition to Ysilla's journey”

“I am the best, mylady, always”, Theodan assured her, giving her a sly wink that caused Sarina to blush slightly. It was Prince Nymor who spoke up next. “Yes, we're all sure of this”, he said, his voice brittle, yet barbed. “Though there is one we have not heard yet” He looked past Theodan, towards Ysilla. “Surely, mylady would prefer her brother by her side. Yet, you know him best. Would you insist on taking him with you past Godsgrace?”

This actually caused Ysilla to pause. Godsgrace... her journey through Dorne would lead her home. She had left it with order to bring Theodan back and perhaps it was time to follow her father's wishes. At the same time, her brother had been gone from her life for four years. She wanted him by her side through all this, through Dorne, the Red Mountains and Oldtown. But could she trust him with being an asset? Could she insist on taking him along with a clear conscience? This was a question Ysilla was actually not certain of.

[Insist that Theodan should come along] [Leave the decision up to Meria and Absidee]

• edited December 2017

I was looking forward to this particular part for quite some time and man, I loved it! You see, Theodan was the very first character that I've submitted to FoT and I sure do have a soft spot for him. Gotta say, he was amazing throughout the whole part, I was hooked from the very beginning to the very end. You were so spot on with his character here, truly, I couldn't have written his lines better even if I tried. The classy way in which he presents himself is so damn perfect, he acts exactly like I thought he would. And what about his carefree and bold nature? totally on point. Truly, there so many quotable parts that I could write my thoughts on that this could go on for quite a while, I'm doing my absolute best not to go through them one by one xD His interactions with Ysilla were all that I was hoping them to be, I especially liked how he became dead serious the moment he noticed any kind of threat towards his sister, as well as their playful and caring interactions, you were totally spot on with them in every single way.

"Ysilla pressed her lips together, before she nodded silently. “We'll see”, she spoke. “Farewell” With these words, she followed after Theodan, quickly catching up to him. Wordlessly, her brother put an arm around her and she pressed herself against him, as they hurried through the streets of Sunspear, to the castle looming above."
    This particular one was so great for me to read, really perfect.

And what to say about Theodan's interactions with everybody else? This part has been a feast for my eyes, as every interaction here was a joy to read. Absidee seems to have a very low opinion on him, Sarina also seems to share this feeling. I imagine part of it is because of how similar Theodan and Dagar seem to be... however even she can't escape the audaciousness of Theo xD. Nymor seems to be quite annoyed with Theodan, to say the least (and with good reason, no doubt). One of the highlights for me were the interactions between Theodan and Deria. I think she's probably the only one in the room who doesn't underestimate him and who actually values him (aside from Ysilla of course, and maybe Meria, though we're yet to hear her opinion on the matter). Their glances at each other were very nice, as was Theodan trying to woo her in front everybody while keeping a straight face and making it seem like the people around them didn't even bother him... Theodan, you damned fox! :D Shame that they likely won't meet again for a good time, they were quite cute around each other.

"“I am the best, mylady, always”, Theodan assured her, giving her a sly wink that caused Sarina to blush slightly. It was Prince Nymor who spoke up next. “Yes, we're all sure of this”, he said, his voice brittle, yet barbed."
    I gotta say though, Theodan's last line was incredibly badass. I also love how he makes such a bold statement about himself and at the same time doesn't miss the opportunity to show off his charms. Theodan my friend, you are indeed a sly dog :D

Now, as for the choice itself, I'll be going with [Insist that Theodan should come along]. Sarina said something really interesting, that Theodan and Dagar are birds of a feather, and I gotta agree with her. Bringing Theodan along will definitely help with Dagar, who better to win his trust than a man who would remind him a lot of himself? Not only that, having another experienced fighter is never a bad thing. Say what you will about the man's nature, but he can be quite the asset as it definitely takes quite some skill to survive in Essos, let alone for four years as it was stated. Besides, bringing Theodan along will sure make things more interesting, I have no doubt about it. And again, he and Ysilla have been away from each other for four years... it would definitely be sad to separate them so soon again.

• [Insist that Theodan should come along]

Ysilla Following her first impulse, Ysilla smacked her hand into Theodan's face, catching him by surprise. He staggered back, but before

Ysilla Following her first impulse, Ysilla smacked her hand into Theodan's face, catching him by surprise. He staggered back, but before

• [Insist that Theodan should come along] My reasoning for this choice isn't really based on any rational thinking, I just like Theodan's character and think he'd make a great secondary character in Ysilla's storyline =) And speaking of that, it certainly seems like she has quite a journey ahead of her, through all of Dorne and the Red Mountains. As excited as I am to see this land through Ysilla's perspective, I also can't wait until she reaches this village near Uplands, because I'm extremely hyped to finally see Dagar in the story :D Just hearing other characters talk about him is already great :p Anyway, this was yet another great part in Dorne, Ysilla's storyline has certainly got me hooked!

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited December 2017

[Leave the decision up to Meria and Absidee]

Theodan might not get that returning customer discount he needs. Got get it.

Manwoodys. Man who would have guessed? Stay tuned.

• [Insist that Theodan should come along] While its risky taking the heir of their family to a kingdom that has had a long history of fighting Dorne, he can be an asset in getting to know the Red Skull.

They certainly need to pass by Godsgrace, its the settlement that separates center from eastern Dorne, then they will probably stop briefly at Vaith, Hellholt, Sandstone and then either Blackmont or Starfall before they enter the Reach.

• I was looking forward to this particular part for quite some time and man, I loved it! You see, Theodan was the very first character that I've submitted to FoT and I sure do have a soft spot for him. Gotta say, he was amazing throughout the whole part, I was hooked from the very begining to the very end. You were so spot on with his character here, truly, I couldn't have written his lines better even if I tried. The classy way in which he presents himself is so damn perfect, he acts exactly like I thought he would. And what about his carefree and bold nature? totally on point. Truly, there so many quotable parts that I could write my thoughts on that this could go on for quite a while, I'm doing my absolute best not to go through them one by one xD His interactions with Ysilla were all that I was hoping them to be, I especially liked how he became dead serious the moment he noticed any kind of threat towards his sister, as well as their playful and caring interactions, you were totally spot on with them in every single way.

Hehe, I am very glad I managed to portray Theodan so well :) This is always the highest praise for me, so definitely, I am happy. And given that this is the first part I have been able to actually show his personality, I must say I had a blast. Makes me look forward for future Ysilla parts, in which he certainly takes an important role by her side. It is particularly this relationship with Ysilla that I see as the most fun part of him (amazingly actually, as it involves the least amount of snark and cockiness in them), because it shows this different, caring side of his, showing that he is not quite as irresponsible and thoughtless as some of his other actions can lead to believe. Ah, definitely, I think the next chapter should be a treat for me when it comes for Ysilla's storyline, because we're going to see more of these interactions, a lot more.

And what to say about Theodan's interactions with everybody else? This part has been a feast for my eyes, as every interaction here was a joy to read. Absidee seems to have a very low opinion on him, Sarina also seems to share this feeling. I imagine part of it is because of how similar Theodan and Dagar seem to be... however even she can't escape the audaciousness of Theo xD. Nymor seems to be quite annoyed with Theodan to say the least (and with good reason, no doubt). One of the highlights for me were the interactions between Theodan and Deria. I think she's probably the only one in the room who doesn't underestimate him and who actually values him (aside from Ysilla of course, and maybe Meria, though we're yet to hear her opinion on the matter). Their glances at each other were very nice, as was Theodan trying to woo her in front everybody while keeping a straight face and making it seem like the people around them didn't even bother him... Theodan, you damned fox! :D Shame that they likely won't meet again for a good time, they were quite cute around each other.

Yeah, he definitely is a polarizing guy. Absidee does not like him at all, she has reason to be displeased with the sort of attitude Theodan so readily displays. Sarina meanwhile, I'd say she doesn't necessarily dislike Theodan from a personal standpoint, but she values those that have a sense of duty for their family and kingdom and given that Theodan has never shown much of either, he reminds her of her uncle Dagar, whom her parents and particularly her late grandfather all quite resented (even if her own opinion towards Dagar is more complex). A certain similarity between the two cannot be denied even, so her point might against Theodan might be the strongest. Deria is a sharp contrast there. I'd say she's a bit of a mixture between the capable and dutiful Sarina and the more relaxed and carefree Theodan, so she gets along with both. And of course, she's got a bit of a history with Theodan, so she was actually delighted to meet him again here. I am afraid they indeed won't meet again for the time being, because no matter what choice wins here, Theodan's way will lead him towards Godsgrace (and potentially further), whereas Deria rarely leaves Sunspear.

I was looking forward to this particular part for quite some time and man, I loved it! You see, Theodan was the very first character that I'

• My reasoning for this choice isn't really based on any rational thinking, I just like Theodan's character and think he'd make a great secondary character in Ysilla's storyline =) And speaking of that, it certainly seems like she has quite a journey ahead of her, through all of Dorne and the Red Mountains.

Ah, glad you already like Theodan. Given the choice actually wins, chances are there will be a lot more of him in the chapters to come. So much that I'd in fact say he'll almost be the deuteragonist to her storyline, similar to Leonard in Lucas' parts or Harpy in Jaron's, a guy with a lot of development and probably even a sub-storyline of his own to come. He'll get that regardless of the choice that wins though, but if he does not accompany Ysilla, his development will be portrayed in a different way. Ysilla herself though, quite a journey won't even begin to cover it. If you already like Ysilla's storyline now, just wait a bit, there are some pretty big twists coming up and she ultimately also serves to introduce and/or develop some of my favourite (of the yet unintroduced) submitted characters. A fascinating supporting cast is to come, some to be her allies, some to be her enemies and some who probably just can't decide :D

As excited as I am to see this land through Ysilla's perspective, I also can't wait until she reaches this village near Uplands, because I'm extremely hyped to finally see Dagar in the story :D Just hearing other characters talk about him is already great :p

Yeah, I share the same feeling =) Dagar is one of the characters I look forward for in Book 2 and one of those where I really hope I'll portray them right. Sarina gave a bit of a teaser about him here, but even then, her own opinion on him is way more complex than she lets slip through here, just like the man himself is going to be delightfully complex. It won't be all that soon, as Ysilla's journey will take some time, but Dagar is coming, eventually. I actually have a couple questions about him, which I'll probably ask next message (which I really hope to send this weekend), some stuff you might be able to help me out with.

[Insist that Theodan should come along] My reasoning for this choice isn't really based on any rational thinking, I just like Theodan's char

• Theodan might not get that returning customer discount he needs. Got get it.

Ah, Theodan might not even need that customer discount all that terribly. He gets around like Tyrion, but unlike him, he doesn't have to pay for it even nearly as often. Call it a permanent customer discount, the benefit of being handsome, charming and from a rich family.

Manwoodys. Man who would have guessed? Stay tuned.

Manwoodys indeed. Probably not the most illustrous dornish house (though big shots such as Dayne or Yronwood are bound to come as well and always having had a soft spot for the Blackmonts, I hope I can fit them in too XD), but that is the benefit of them actually having been the first dornish house to be submitted in full, as WildlingKing has submitted them almost three years ago, in the early February of 2015. Means, I had plenty of time to make plans for each of them and particularly Dagar and Sarina should become major characters in their own right.

[Leave the decision up to Meria and Absidee] Theodan might not get that returning customer discount he needs. Got get it. Manwoodys. Man who would have guessed? Stay tuned.

• While its risky taking the heir of their family to a kingdom that has had a long history of fighting Dorne, he can be an asset in getting to know the Red Skull.

And don't forget, technically they are still fighting. Dorne is in a state of constant skirmishes with the Reach and the Stormlands, due to the dornish border houses having the habit of raiding the border villages of these two kingdoms. It's not an open war, because the dornish under House Martell's leadership don't want to and the other kingdoms don't see how invading the most difficult terrain in Westeros is of any use to them, but there are nonetheless armed patrols to look out for in these regions, some of which capture even harmless travellers for interrogation. Avoiding these is certainly in everyone's best interests.

They certainly need to pass by Godsgrace, its the settlement that separates center from eastern Dorne, then they will probably stop briefly at Vaith, Hellholt, Sandstone and then either Blackmont or Starfall before they enter the Reach.

Exactly, Godsgrace perfectly is on their way. Even if not, they would have passed it, because Ysilla's whole reason for leaving her home has been to bring Theodan back from his exile in the Free Cities. Just avoiding it and taking him with her on top of that is something not even Ysilla would do, so she seeks to receive her father's blessing for this mission. However, I am afraid you should not expect too much of the rest of her journey. I will have time to show a lot more locations in Dorne, but at first, I will have to put a fairly large amount of storyline into a fairly limited amount of chapters. One reason why I low-key think about further enhancing Book 2 to have 11 instead of 10 chapters, but that won't change the fact that Ysilla's journey through Dorne itself won't be the main deal of her early storyline, so it is unlikely I'll show it in too much detail. More chances to show some of these locations will follow. That being said, the route for Ysilla won't lead her to Vaith, due to their lord not liking the Allyrions all that much anymore, so she'll likely take the Godsgrace-Yronwood-Skyreach-Blackmont route.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Insist that Theodan should come along] While its risky taking the heir of their family to a kingdom that has had a long history of fighting

• [Leave the decision up to Meria and Absidee]

Let's give the brother-sister duo some time to shine, Theodan will get his own spotlight, I'm sure.

I just want that character to stay in the story, he's so damn funny.

• The Voting is closed!

Ysilla is going to insist that Theodan should come along with her

Well, quite some regular voters are still missing, yet the outcome is nonetheless decided upon with an overwhelming majority in favour of this option, so it does not matter for determining the winning choice. But well, let's see what the next part brings. For now, this means Ysilla is going to have her brother by her side when travelling through Dorne and the Reach and if anything, this should give her moral support and one seriously skilled blade, because Theodan does not only talk a big game, he's actually a capable warrior. Of course, the final say in this lies with Princess Meria, but she has made it clear before that she actually likes Ysilla and probably appreciates her suggestions, so it is likely that Theodan will follow Ysilla from now on. Interestingly, this won't change anything about her next chapter, because part of the journey, up to their home at Godsgrace, will remain the same in either case.

And as said above, the next part will be out today. I contemplated leaving it open for a little longer, but I think it was open long enough and as you know, I got a chapter to finish before the end of this year, so I absolutely have to close the voting today. With five parts remaining, this will be hard enough as it is. The next part will feature the final parts for Edrick and Garthon in this chapter. Last time we saw Edrick, he was taken to a meeting with Viveka Codd. Unwilling to let him go alone, Dante accompanied him. During this meeting, Viveka revealed that all she is truly out for in this situation is some advantage for herself and House Codd. Dante and the other highborn are meant to be ransomed, but Viveka also offered a way out for Edrick, Darreth and Jorid. Realizing they might be more trouble to keep as thralls than they are worth it, she offered them a job, after which they are supposed to be freed. See, in recent months, a self-proclaimed rebel, the Riverborn, has caused problems for House Codd. Without killing a single soul, the Riverborn, through the clever use of intel and sabotage, has effectively crippled the Codd supply lines and trade routes, ruining or stealing valuable cargo and sharing it with the lowborn. Naturally, Viveka wants him gone. She has a strong suspicion that Normund Tavorch, one of the stableboys, is among the Riverborn's informants in the castle and knowing that he'd never trust one of her men, but might trust a known prisoner of House Codd, she ordered Edrick to get close to the boy to give her the location of this Riverborn. After a bit of hesitating, Edrick accepted. Meanwhile, Garthon was saved from the rope which the Sons of the Trident wanted to hang him with, due to the help of his former and brief travelling companion Dacey and the Sons' leader, Edric Rivers. Edric was even outright furious at his subordinate Deywn for deciding on Garthon's death all by himself. Turns out, he's actually reasonable and not above working with Garthon, which is what he offered. One of the Riverlords, Petyr Blackwood, has been particularly impressed by Torvin's actions and in return, he has stopped paying his taxes, something that comes close to open rebellion. Edric wants to ally with him, to maybe form a mutually beneficial agreement that would also see Blackwood's family protected. To protect the last bit of Torvin's legacy, Garthon accepted Edric's offer and as such, he will prepare for a journey to Raventree Hall soon.

• Hey everyone, I just wanted to quickly drop another set of drawings before the next part! This set is all about pirates, and more specifically the court of Aeron Blacksails. At the end there is also portrait of Edward Anturion. So, here ya go:

• Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free. You are a pirate!

Holy wow, that was fast! At this point, it's really just my speed in which I reply to the message that probably stood in the way of you drawing every single FoT character introduced so far :D And with this set, I get the inexplicable desire to listen to the Pirates of the Carribbean soundtrack, it's wonderful. As expected, pirates make for a colourful set of drawings and I absolutely love this. Starting off with Aeron, the King of Pirates, I think he already might be a strong contender for my favourite of the set. That pipe is a nice touch for sure, gives him something unique in what otherwise would be a relatively normal looking character. Then again, it is this lack of truly outstanding features that I believe makes Aeron so intriguing for me, because he could perfectly blend in in one moment, then raise hell in the next. Then there is Melvan, perhaps the one closest to how I'd imagine a classical pirate, including a fake eye and a nice hat. I'd also say he looks the most uncanny how I imagined him to look like, there's one of these in every set =) Onwards to Jadith, quite probably one of the most ugly characters in the story. Seriously, it is rare that a character is described as outright ugly in the submission (best I usually get is normal looking), so Jadith already sticks out by herself. And while I think that good looking characters are probably easier to draw, you did a great job with her. Definitely the one member of the pirate council I'd least like to provoke. Onwards to the most unassuming member of the council, due to being so much younger than the rest of them, Warmond Manderly. To be honest, he is the one guy I had no clear image of in my head, because I haven't featured him all that much so far. That'll likely change next chapter. He's looking good, though unfortunately, he pales before the next one, Sargasso Saan, who has by far the best outfit of this set. And the best expression on top of that, that smug bastard. Seriously, Sargasso might be my surprising favourite of this set. However, remember how in one of my latest messages, I mentioned that I fear for the Sons of the Dragon to screw me over in some detail? Yeah, it has already started. Not sure if it is a spelling error (of which the Sons of the Dragon apparently has some), but Sargasso, who has previously been under this name in the Ice and Fire wiki, is now renamed Sargoso. Screw it, he's Sargasso in FoT, you just gotta imagine the two being the same XD

And at last, standing for himself, the other pirate captain, Edward Anturion. As always with the portraits, I have not expected it and that always makes me particularly excited. And Edward, he surely is going to be one of the main characters in Book 2, so this is a very fitting portrait as well. Of course, they always are and you drew him perfectly here. I already greatly enjoyed his old drawing, but seeing him up close makes it only better. Thank you, thank you so much for this set :)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to quickly drop another set of drawings before the next part! This set is all about pirates, and more specifically the court of Aeron Blacksails. At the end there is also portrait of Edward Anturion. So, here ya go:

• edited December 2017

Edrick

With a frown, Edrick extended his hand. He saw the expression on Viveka's face slowly shifting into a wide, infuriating grin. “I accept your offer...”, he growled and she grabbed his hand squeezing it heavily with her own. “I knew you would”, she spoke. “It is the best you're going to get. Do your part and you and at least some of your companions will be out here in no time”

“Under one condition”, Edrick continued and Viveka's smile froze, as her eyes narrowed. “I'm listening”, she assured him, though she let go of his hand. Now, it was up to Edrick to smile, no less coldly. “I want you to stall Leo”, he demanded. “Find a reason, any reason, to keep him here, so that he won't get much of an advantage with your information”

Viveka raised an eyebrow. “You actually demand something”, she spoke tonelessly. “That is bold. I know men who would flay you for that” Edrick gave her a nod. “You're not a man though”, he spoke. “And I believe you're smarter than that. We are at your mercy, but you want something from us” He flashed her a smirk. “I also believe you won't be unhappy about stalling that traitor shit”

To this, Viveka sighed. “You are right about that one”, she admitted, even if he could see the reluctance on her face. Her fists clenched she leant onto the table between them, glaring him right in the eye. “If you think you could make a fool of me in my castle, I'll make you regret it”, she hissed. “I accept your demand, but it is the only further boon I am willing to grant. And in return, I demand quick results. Win Tavorch's trust, bring me the Riverborn. I'll keep Leo here until then, but don't test the limits of my patience”

There was something determined in her eyes that made Edrick tense up. “We are done here”, the woman said. “Gawayne! Lead them back, then bring me Frostborn” She leant back into her chair, while Edrick and Dante got up from theirs. “This time you will follow my order”, she added. Gawayne saluted, before putting a hand on the shoulders of his prisoners. He did not remove it when Edrick glared at him. “It will be done, mylady”, he promised, before pushing Edrick and Dante out of the room.

The moment Gawayne had closed the door, Edrick noticed the look on Dante's face and before he could say anything, the young man snapped at him. “What...”, he started, though cut himself off, before taking a deep breath. “What was that?”, he tried again, sounding marginally calmer this time. “The deal you struck with her. I don't mean working for her, I don't mind it. But Leo”

Edrick raised an eyebrow. “What?”, he asked in return. “I'll keep that bitch here. If we can't leave, neither can he. Make him pay for betraying us” Dante sighed. “Trust me, I'm the last person that wants to support that guy”, he confirmed, as they walked down the stairs. “If he'd be with us right now, I could not guarantee for his safety” With clenched fists, he avoided Edrick's stare. “But I keep thinking, what if he is the only chance Alys has at this point?”

To this, Edrick chuckled. “Yeah, the guy obsessed with her. Sounds like a perfect choice to keep her safe”, he spoke in a mocking tone and Dante rolled his eyes. “I'm serious for once”, he claimed. “That rat sold us out to chase after the girl he's been obsessed with. He's been a liar, a pathetic one. But does that make him any less capable of finding Alys? Think about it, Viveka still agreed to help him, to give him information, things we'll never get”

“At least not from the lady herself”, Edrick agreed, before glancing over his shoulder at Gawayne. The Ironborn wiggled his eyebrows, before putting a hand onto his mouth. Narrowing his eyes, Edrick turned back to Dante. “But if we do our part, she stalls him until we're done here. She lets him go, we hunt him down and beat the information out of him”

Behind him, Gawayne chuckled at this, while Dante frowned. “You mean torture?”, he asked and Edrick shrugged. “I mean leaving him alone with Alphyn for a few hours”, he replied. “Maybe not outright torture, but even then, I won't miss the opportunity to smash his teeth out”

Dante gulped. “I... don't like that”, he admitted. “But you are right. Letting him go, that does not sit right with me” He looked at Edrick, now notably calmer again. “And you have earned my trust”, he assured him. “I am sorry for snapping at you”

Gawayne suppressed his laughter. “Ain't that sweet?”, he said in a mocking tone. “You two lovebirds want a room of your own?” Edrick clenched his fists, though it was Dante who replied. “Fuck you”, he hissed and Gawayne patted him onto the back, roughly. “Oh, but what are you going to do about it?”, he asked and his voice gained a threatening tone to it. “You made a fool out of me in front of Viv. Be careful, Karstark, very, very careful. Viveka might be the one in charge, but whenever you need something, you have to get through me”

“Say what you have to say”, Dante mumbled, not even hiding his annoyance at this man and Gawayne lit up, smiling as he stopped in front of the door to their room. “All I'm saying is, next time you embarrass me like that, I'll kill one of your friends”, he warned him, not breaking his smile as he opened the room. “Would be a shame if there'd be a vial of poison in their water, right?”

The threat had been effective, as Edrick noticed how Dante got pale in an instant. He opened his mouth but closed it again at once, as Gawayne stepped into the room. “Greetings!”, he announced himself. “Frostborn is the next to go. Anyone suggest to go with him, anyone resist, it'll be ten lashes” Edrick heard movement in the room and after a moment, Alphyn appeared.

“What does the bitch want from me?”, he asked and Gawayne smirked. “Your tongue, if you speak like that to her”, he replied. “She's in a foul mood” Alphyn looked at Edrick, who subtly shook his head, as the heir to House Frostborn stepped into the hallway. “Lead the way then”, he growled and Gawayne glanced at Edrick and Dante. Both men wordlessly entered the room, for the Ironborn to close the door behind them. The lock was turned, then, Gawayne and Alphyn started moving.

To Edrick's surprise, Jorid was awake again. A hand on his head, he was still lying on the bed, glancing at them through tired eyes. Meanwhile, Darreth and Reymond were sitting in the chairs, with the Mormont woman being the first to rise from her seat. “What did she say?”, she asked.

Edrick frowned, as he leant against the door. “We might be in luck”, he admitted. “Viveka Codd has been... surprisingly reasonable. She doesn't want to torture us, she doesn't even want to bother with us more than she has to. All she cares for is getting an advantage out of this situation” He clenched his fists. “She plans to ransom the highborn away to their families. Some of our families can't pay the sum she requests, so she has offered a way out for those as well”

Reymond's face grew pale. “I will not be bartered away to my father”, she clarified. “I'll tell her that much when her dog comes to fetch me. Even if my father pays at all, I won't return to Bear Island” Though she seemed determined, Edrick spotted an expression that betrayed the fact that she was not quite as much a warrior as she wanted to be. There was something he had lost a long time ago, a hint of fear.

“I'm not sure if you'll have much of a say in this, but the one to decide is Viveka”, Edrick replied. “And she wants us to work for her. Apparently, there is some rebel in these lands, an upstart peasant who has crippled their trade, sinking their ships, burning cargo or stealing it and then giving it to the poor”

Darreth raised an eyebrow. “How oddly romantic”, he chuckled, though Edrick shook his head. “Oddly foolish, I'd say, and quite naive”, he answered. “But effective. This man is the Riverborn and Viveka, well, she is pissed. Wants him gone, but the smallfolk protects him. Her men are known in these lands, so she needs outsiders to investigate”

“She wants us to deal with her problems?”, Darreth asked and Edrick gave him a nod. “There's one guy she thinks is giving away intel right from the castle. Some stableboy named Normund”, he explained. “Wants us to win his trust. Lead her right to the Riverborn”

As soon as he had said this, Jorid glared up. “No way”, he growled, angrily sitting up, still holding his thumping head. “I won't work for her! For either of them” He narrowed his eyes. “My brother was killed by raiders, my whole unit was killed by them. And Viveka's hound, he even confessed” He clenched both of his fists, slamming them onto the bed. “If anything, I say we ally with that Riverborn. Kill the Codd bitch, free these lands and free ourselves”

Dante raised an eyebrow. “Killing her?”, he asked. “I don't think we should go that far. She has been reasonable, for an Ironborn” Jorid rolled his eyes. “That's because you haven't seen any Ironborn so far”, he growled. “Kill them all, that's what they deserve, their whole rotten cluster of rocks in the sea”

A look of guilt flashed over Darreth's face. “Sorry, brother”, he mumbled. “But I agree with Jorid here. Working for her? She's our jailer. If anything, this should mean we ally with her enemy” He looked at Edrick. “Ser, I say you go out there and you indeed get close to that stableboy. But when he introduces us to the Riverborn, we ally with him instead of Viveka”

Jorid grinned at these words. “Yes!”, he roared. “I can live with that. We get out of here and keep our hands clean. Help the true lords of these lands, not these upstart usurpers” Dante sighed. “We gave Viveka our word”, he reminded Edrick. “Besides, I have the feeling we can trust her. That Riverborn though, we don't know anything about him. Who knows, he might end up worse than she could ever be. I'd rather stay with the one I know. What Gawayne and his men did is not her fault”

Reymond looked up from her chair. “I agree with Dante”, she voiced her support. “She offered you a way out, then maybe she'll do the same for me. I... I can't go back to Bear Island” She clenched her fists. “I won't risk it. We know where we are with Viveka. If the Riverborn turns out worse than her, or if our attempt fails, we'll lose any goodwill we have”

“Fuck goodwill”, Jorid proclaimed. “Fuck your father and fuck that Codd. I won't be anyone's prisoner. The Riverborn is our best bet” Both, he and Dante looked at Edrick, each of them clearly expecting him to side with them. The hedge knight sighed, putting a hand onto his forehead, as he knew, he was once again the one to decide.

[Say you prefer to honour your agreement with Viveka] [Say you prefer to ally with the Riverborn]

Garthon

“For Torvin”, Garthon said, as he reached for Edric's hand. To his surprise, the knight pulled him into a brief, firm hug. “For Torvin”, he confirmed, nodding with approval. “Your brother would be proud of you, following in his footsteps”

Garthon frowned. “I'm not sure if he would have wanted that”, he admitted. “He always tried to keep me safe, always looked out for his family” He shook his head. “It matters not. I want this, I want to keep his legacy alive. If working with you means I'll achieve that, then so be it”

Instantly, Hjalgar put a hand onto his chest. “For Torvin!”, he exclaimed. “You can count on me. I owe him more than I could repay in a lifetime” To Garthon's surprise, even Christian nodded. “You lot got me into quite the trouble there”, he sighed. “But so be it. I'll be with you until we reach Raventree Hall” Edric raised an eyebrow. “Loyalty”, he commented. “Not something I expected in your kind. More and more do I regret that I never got to meet your brother”

The first thing that flashed through Garthon's mind was, to his own surprise, a negative memory. Torvin the raider. Torvin the butcher. Of course, Garthon had accompanied him, but where it had been duty for him, Torvin outright relished in it. There had been a part of his brother that was dark and a harsh contrast to the acts that truly brought him fame.

“They say you should never yearn to meet a legend”, he mumbled. “Take you for example. You should hear what the Ironborn in Harrenhal say about you. I expected a giant, ten feet tall, a force of nature” Slowly, he smirked at Edric. “And here you are and for all the stories they tell about you, you are still just a man”

“You should witness him in battle”, Dacey said and Garthon was not sure if it was a threat, an attempt to put her leader into the right light or simply an innocent contribution to the discussion. Edric chuckled at this. “You should listen to what Dacey has to say”, he agreed and she shot him a wide smile, which faded in the moment she noticed that Garthon had seen the expression.

“Though I suppose no man can truly live up to their legend”, Edric agreed. “I am but Addam's ghost, a pale shadow. The question we still have to decide upon is wether you are more than Torvin's shadow” Garthon gulped. “I tried to be more, once”, he admitted, before he sighed. “But tell me, what can I expect at Raventree Hall?”

Edric's light smile vanished, replaced by his usual, stern expression. “For one, there would be the Blackwood's”, he replied. “Old Lord Petyr has been busy in his day. Married to a foreigner, a Stormlander woman. That has been quite the scandal, for he was a mighty lord and her father was nothing but a landed knight, sworn to Harren Hoare's strongest enemy on top of that”

“I suppose neither king took it lightly”, Garthon mumbled and Edric shook his head. “Well, Harren did not really care, which was Petyr's luck, else the marriage might have ended in tragedy”, he explained. “But Argilac? They don't call him the Arrogant for nothing and one of his vassals allying with one of Hoare's? Once the union was made public, the new Lady Evelyne Blackwood was exiled from the Stormlands. Her father, sole living member of her family at that point, is a man named Torvin Hale”

As soon as he mentioned the name, Garthon clenched his fists. “Torvin?”, he asked and Edric pressed his lips together. “Now their master-at-arms”, he revealed. “He lost what little wealth he had over this and had to follow his daughter to their new home at Raventree Hall”

“They say Lady Evelyne hasn't aged a day in the last twenty years”, Dacey interjected and Edric rolled his eyes. “They also say that she keeps her beauty by bathing in the blood of young women, that pretty servant girls have a tendency to vanish in their halls, that the Blackwood children are skinchangers, who patrol the night sky in the bodies of ravens” He shook his head. “They say a lot of bad about a family they don't understand and I am inclined to believe none of it”

“I met with Lord Blackwood”, Garthon revealed and Edric nodded. “I am aware of that, yes”, he revealed. “Then you know he's not a bad man. Honestly, he showed more strength than I expected by defying his king” He shrugged. “As I said, he and his wife have been busy. There are four children. Walder, the eldest and his younger brothers Ethan and Raymon, as well as Marian, the youngest of the four”, he continued. “Though Walder is the one we show the most interest in. Unfortunately, he is not at Raventree Hall as far as we know. Lord Petyr had to banish him a few years ago”

Garthon narrowed his eyes, as he remembered something Torvin had mentioned. “He killed a couple of Ironborn, right?”, he asked and Edric smirked. “Killing would be too kind a word”, he confirmed. “He ambushed them in bright daylight, slaughtered them with his allies, in front of dozens of witnesses. No one saw it coming, least of them Lord Petyr. When Harren learned of it, he sent Harmund Hoare and as such, Petyr had no choice but to banish his son to save his life”

“Sounds like a man I would have liked to meet”, Garthon mumbled and Edric nodded. “You and me both”, he agreed. “With Walder out of the kingdom, Ethan is the heir to Raventree Hall. My scouts tell me he is a smart boy, but still young and overwhelmed with his new responsibilities. Yet his rule could be one for the history books, for his father has brokered a deal with Tytos Bracken just about a month ago. Ethan is to marry Lyra, Bracken's youngest daughter”

“A Bracken and Blackwood?”, Christian interjected. “A dangerous union, but one that could bring peace” Edric smiled. “Exactly. I fear for the safety of either of them, so keeping an eye on them will be a secondary goal once you arrive the castle. We must stand united against the common enemy, so the feud between Bracken and Blackwood must come to an end, at least for the time being”

“Brokering an alliance with Lord Blackwood, keeping an eye on Ethan and his bride, I see”, Garthon agreed. “Anything else I have to look out for?” To this, Edric gave him a nod. “We fear Harrick Hoare has sent his agents to Raventree Hall already. He knows something big is about to start. The Riverlords made your brother a martyr and now, Harren and his sons will try their utmost to contain the fire his death started”

“So, we don't reveal our identity?”, Garthon asked and Edric vehemently shook his head. “To no one but Lord Petyr”, he ordered. “If Harrick has an agent within Raventree Hall, then you, Lord Petyr and his entire family will be in severe danger. I want you to find the Hoare spy, for he can ruin our entire plans for House Blackwood”

“Understood”, Garthon confirmed. “We'll leave in the morning” Edric raised a hand, silencing the Ironborn. “But not alone”, he disagreed, to which Garthon raised an eyebrow. “You don't trust me?”, he asked and Edric shook his head. “I don't know you”, he confirmed. “Jon trusts you and as such, I give you this chance. But this mission is crucial for the Riverlands and as such, I want one of my inner circle by your side”

Garthon glanced at Dacey and the young woman clenched her fists, looking at the ground. “I don't want to go with him”, she mumbled and Edric sighed. “Not all of us get to choose their paths”, he told her softly. “You are the one I trust the most in this world”

This brought a brief smile to Dacey's frown, though Garthon saw how unhappy she was with this. “I already have an archer with me”, he revealed, looking at Hjalgar. “The best one I've ever seen. The man that killed Cleaver Clint Volmark” Hjalgar blushed at the praise, clenching his teeth as Edric raised his eyebrows, now looking thoroughly impressed. “You killed the Beast of Volmark?”, he asked. “That... is unexpected. Though my offer was not to give you Dacey as an archer, but as an extension of my will in Raventree Hall. I know and trust her”

He looked back at the woman and sighed. “Though... I suppose I could give you someone else”, he gave in. “This was supposed to be Deywn's mission, but I am afraid today showed he is not yet ready for such a duty. Nor will I insult you by offering him. But Gavin the Tall could be a loyal companion”

“The man who tried to hang me”, Hjalgar growled coldly, moving a hand to his neck and frowning as he gulped. Edric bit down onto his lower lip. “Could get awkward, I give you that, but I trust none more than him or Dacey”, he promised. “Gavin has a kind heart, you can believe me on that. He's a bit too quick to follow orders some times, but you won't find a more loyal supporter than him”

Garthon glanced at Dacey. He knew her, trusted her, at least more than this giant that nearly murdered him. However, given her own reluctance, he feared neither would be an ideal choice. “Do I have to take one of them?”, he asked, to which Edric smirked. “Absolutely”, he assured him. “I know neither is an ideal choice, but with Jon and Jared on a mission up north, they are the only ones available” He raised a finger. “That being said, I want to give you the choice. You know your men the best, so pick the one you consider more likely to work with them”

[Take Dacey with you] [Take Gavin with you]

• [Say you prefer to honour your agreement with Viveka]

[Take Gavin with you]

If Dacey doesn't want to go, we shouldn't force her. This will also give Gavin a chance to redeem himself.

• [Say you prefer to honour your agreement with Viveka] Our primary goal is Alys. I already mentioned that I want to approach this ironborn vs riverlanders fight from PoV perspectives, and I feel like Edrick and company shouldn't really care about it.

[Take Gavin with you] Exactly what DiverseGnu said plus the fact that two fighters and one archer is better combination then two archers and one fighter.

Edrick With a frown, Edrick extended his hand. He saw the expression on Viveka's face slowly shifting into a wide, infuriating grin. “I a

[Take Dacey with you]

Edrick With a frown, Edrick extended his hand. He saw the expression on Viveka's face slowly shifting into a wide, infuriating grin. “I a

[Take Gavin with you]

I’m all for a redemption arc, plus TheAPlegends is right, two fighters and an archer gives a better chance than one fighter and two archers.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.