Hypothetical Character Interactions

edited January 2018 in The Walking Dead

Here's a topic that's been a long time coming.

In a series with many characters of different personalities, races, and ages, we see many different relationships be formed. This has lead to many friendships, families, romances, rivalries, and even enmities being developed and growing before our eyes and often by our hands.

With this said, there are also a number cases where some characters rarely speak to each other or don't even interact at all. This leads to not getting the chance to grasp the characters' perceptions of one another or anything more that could be brought out by their communication.

What are some character interactions you would've liked to see happen?
How do you think they would react to each other?
Would there be any kind of deep similarities or differences that exist among them?

Alternatively, what are some dynamics that you wish got showcased a little more?
What are some phases and situations you would've liked to have seen them in?
How do you think things would go/be if their relationship was strained/flipped?

Shoutout to @Bon-Bon for the original(?) thread.

Comments

• This is an extremely interesting topic. I always wondered what the group felt about Mark. He really only interacted with Lee (and Larry, I guess).

• I kinda wanted more of Clementine and Conrad after episode 2, to see some forgiveness going around if Conrad is still alive. And another one that is kinda weird, I really wanted to see Gabe and Tripp interact more, but idk y. Finally, it would have been nice to see Luke interact with A.J. in some way, considering by episode 5 he was the last cabin survivor so he should have been to one to take full responsibility of him, but instead it turned out to be Kenny and eventually Clementine

• I kinda wanted more of Clementine and Conrad after episode 2

Oh, definitely. The most interesting thing in the latter half of Part 2, easily one of the most anticipatory things at that point, and one of the main things that made the ANF!Clementine tolerable/justified.

I really wanted to see Gabe and Tripp interact more, but idk y.

Huh. I'd say interesting choice, but that'd imply Tripp was interesting. :tongue:

Finally, it would have been nice to see Luke interact with A.J. in some way, considering by episode 5 he was the last cabin survivor so he should have been to one to take full responsibility of him, but instead it turned out to be Kenny and eventually Clementine

Yeah, friggin Kenny man. Injured leg or not, Luke should've have at least one scene where he holds that baby for a bit.

You know, a month or so ago, I found an old image with programming text and it showed that instead of Kenny working on the truck and Jane [nominally] looking after the baby, it was apparently gonna be the other way around with Luke still in place. It may have been fake, but I got the impression that it may have been online before No Going Back actually came out.

Not really helping the issue, I realize, but it just came to mind.

Melton23 posted: »

I kinda wanted more of Clementine and Conrad after episode 2, to see some forgiveness going around if Conrad is still alive. And another one

• I wanted Javi to hit on Tripp just once.

• edited January 2018

. * Sigh * ...Considering that Paul guy was more or less doing, saying, and perhaps even acting the things/way Tripp should've been and Tripp himself was borderline undefined and useless for the importance they apparently intended for him to have, I suppose that's a reasonable conclusion/thing to reach/want.

I wanted Javi to hit on Tripp just once.

• But with the character they established for Clementine in ANF she wouldnt forgive conrad, not to mention she should hate Javiers guts, but nonconsequential writing strikes again

I kinda wanted more of Clementine and Conrad after episode 2, to see some forgiveness going around if Conrad is still alive. And another one

• I’m really not trolling her, but is it just me or would anybody else not care if their friend used them as trade in order to save somebody else’s life who is in your group XD besides, the new frontier wouldn’t want Clementine back so idk why she was so bothered in the first place, unless she wanted to avoid the awkwardness

But with the character they established for Clementine in ANF she wouldnt forgive conrad, not to mention she should hate Javiers guts, but nonconsequential writing strikes again

• Since there have finally been technically five posts, I'll copy some duos I had listed in past.

Clementine and Sarah(certain aspects, good or bad; some earlier predictions and theories...)

Sarah and Jane(the potential "rivalry" that was inferred/implied; actual interaction between two seeming opposites; some earlier predictions and theories...)

Carlos and Sarita(Seemed to get along well enough; Respected each other and their loved one)

Luke and Carver(Implied rivalry; Contrasting views; Hijacked by Kenny)

Clementine and Carlos(Contrasting views of Sarah; his character development is dreadfully underplayed; Limited interactions; Oddly enough, one of the only times a Cabin Group Member got to have a cool moment AND a redemption moment but it's unusually ignored)

Clementine and Reggie(Kenny gets to talk to him instead; no interactions outside of first meeting and final assignment)

Clementine and Arvo(Similar positions in their group; Similar dilemmas when it comes to morality and interdependence; This line; guilty conscious isn't developed; Hijacked by Kenny; antagonism is underplayed to the point of seeming sporadic)

Bonnie and Arvo(Was apparently disgusted when he first showed up; Is the one to tie him up; Does fuck all besides point fingers when Kenny pulverizes him; And they leave with each other because...?; This patched out content)

• Clementine and Mariana should've bonded before she died.

Doug and Carley never spoke but they appeared to like eachother.

I wanted Lilly and Clementine to speak to eachother, I liked when Lilly looked after her in Episode 2 at the end

Alternatively, what are some dynamics that you wish got showcased a little more? - The little feature that happened in season 2 when clem flicks the lighter, definitely more hubs for season 3, multiple choice quicktime events (s2 episode 1 mastered this for stuff like the walker shed fight where you can grab and use different things)

• I wanted Luke and Nick to have something suggestive going on lol

• edited January 2018

Clementine and Mariana should've bonded before she died.

Euh...hmm.

Doug and Carley never spoke but they appeared to like eachother.

They do talk during the final attack on the pharmacy, where one of them(I don't remember who) tries to confess their feelings.

I wanted Lilly and Clementine to speak to eachother, I liked when Lilly looked after her in Episode 2 at the end

They have a brief exchange on Jolene's video.

The little feature that happened in season 2 when clem flicks the lighter, definitely more hubs for season 3, multiple choice quicktime events (s2 episode 1 mastered this for stuff like the walker shed fight where you can grab and use different things)

That's not what I meant. This is about character dynamics--how characters play off each other.

I wanted Luke and Nick to have something suggestive going on lol

Eugh.... You and a handful of other people.

cutupuss- posted: »

Clementine and Mariana should've bonded before she died. Doug and Carley never spoke but they appeared to like eachother. I wanted Lil

• I hope what-ifs are okay, too.

Clementine and that girl from 400 Days; the little sister. I thought she was going to meet Clementine for sure. I would've liked to see her trying to gain Jane's respect and being jealous of Clementine, would've been a fun and frustrating subplot.

Christa and Rebecca; although I disliked both of them, I am really curious as to how Christa would have reacted to Rebecca treating Clementine the way she did in episode 1. Would Christa suddenly act like a mother, or let Clementine defend herself?

Duck & Sarah would have been too funny, especially around Clementine. Holy fuck would I love that.

Carley and Clementine. Would've been cute to see Carley treating Clementine like they're step-mother & step-daughter.

Last one is a big one: Kenny, Clementine, David, and Gabe. Not so much the, "my daughter likes your son." But rather a comparison between the two on how they interact with their kids. My Clem treated Kenny like a father, and prioritized family & loyalty. So it would have been interesting to me to see tempers flaring between Kenny (who had found peace in my playthrough before the accident...) and David. I could go on further about this, but it's pretty clear what I'm looking for.

I hope I can think of some more, this was fun.

• Clementine and that girl from 400 Days; the little sister.

Becca was her name.

I would've liked to see her trying to gain Jane's respect and being jealous of Clementine, would've been a fun and frustrating subplot.

Oh dear....

Christa and Rebecca; although I disliked both of them, I am really curious as to how Christa would have reacted to Rebecca treating Clementine the way she did in episode 1. Would Christa suddenly act like a mother, or let Clementine defend herself?

That would indeed have been an interesting setup, even if I'd be more interested in just Christa and Rebecca's dynamic.

Duck & Sarah would have been too funny, especially around Clementine. Holy fuck would I love that.

I suppose that could've been humorous. For some reason, I imagine Sarah getting occasional annoyed/out-weirded by Duck given how hyper and relatively mindless he was.

Last one is a big one: Kenny, Clementine, David, and Gabe.

Oh Lord Almighty, no!
    Granted, I did think about that for a quick bit once at someone else's suggestion

My Clem treated Kenny like a father, and prioritized family & loyalty.

Eh.

So it would have been interesting to me to see tempers flaring between Kenny, David, and/or occasionally Gabe.

Fixed.

Sweet_Bundy posted: »

I hope what-ifs are okay, too. Clementine and that girl from 400 Days; the little sister. I thought she was going to meet Clementine for

• Javier and Jesus should talk more, especially if Kate died ;)

• I would have liked Jane to have met Christa. My guess is that they would have got along fairly well.

• I would have liked to see Clementine and Ava's relationship in the present day. I think the only time they even acknowledge each other is after Javi gets his arm sewn up and Clem says to Ava "didn't expect to see you here" or something like that.

Showing their relationship could have been a perfect way for Clem's last flashback to have an in-game effect. How you resolve things with Ava would determine how Clem treats Ava in present day. In my playthrough, they remain friends, so it takes the realism out of the game when Clem has no reaction to either of Ava's death scenes. Just a missed opportunity to add some weight to some of your choices as Clem.

• Her relationship with Ava in general was a big speculating point for me.

Racer17 posted: »

I would have liked to see Clementine and Ava's relationship in the present day. I think the only time they even acknowledge each other is af

• Okay, since 10 people have commented, here's some more old points.

Clementine and Alvin(Partially due to dummied out content; Could've fleshed him out more)

Jane and Mike(No specific dynamic between two cellmates; Only two noteworthy scenes together)

Clementine and Sarita(With or without Kenny being the subject; Wasted potential in general)

Carver and Alvin(Implied former friendship;George;"I'm not nice")

Clementine and Mike(Partially due to dummied out content;He had an apparent concern for youths in dangerous situations that wasn't played up enough)

Clementine and Kenny(felt needlessly forced at times)

Kenny and Sarah(Apparently his only positive relationship with a Cabin Group Member; Inherent similarities; Don't share a conversation despite being near each other fairly often; Ignored chances to show his softer side)

Clementine and Rebecca(Ridiculously rushed character development; Same condition as Christa; Hijacked by Kenny)

• It doesnt matter what anybody else would, the character established for Clementine up until that point was most likely to not forgive that, not to mention that Conrad was literally threatening Gabe with a gun, because he overheard that Clementine was new frontier, he did not even know the whole story

I’m really not trolling her, but is it just me or would anybody else not care if their friend used them as trade in order to save somebody e

• edited January 2018

Okay, time to address this [thankfully serious] conversation:

@Melton23 I kinda wanted more of Clementine and Conrad after episode 2, to see some forgiveness going around if Conrad is still alive.

@The Great Fish But with the character they established for Clementine in ANF she wouldnt forgive conrad, not to mention she should hate Javiers guts, but nonconsequential writing strikes again

@The Great Fish It doesnt matter what anybody else would, the character established for Clementine up until that point was most likely to not forgive that, not to mention that Conrad was literally threatening Gabe with a gun, because he overheard that Clementine was new frontier, he did not even know the whole story

On the topic of whether, I honestly didn’t really put thought into that. In my mind, the worst case scenario would be that the group would have to escape from the New Frontier at some point, but Conrad would go berserk and stay behind to fight them as an impromptu distraction.
    With that said, I don’t see Clementine forgiving Conrad either, at least in that episode. I can see Conrad growing somewhat sympathetic as her time with the New Frontier gets revealed/detailed, but not really the other way around.

Maybe in From the Gallows, when she’s had her supposed character development and he’s found peace with himself if still alive, she’d make an effort to patch up her vitriol with him.

@Melton23 I’m really not trolling her, but is it just me or would anybody else not care if their friend used them as trade in order to save somebody else’s life who is in your group XD

Yeah, that intense determinant plot point was ultimately pretty much diverted/ignored by the halfway point of Above the Law:

• Clementine and Conrad barely even acknowledge each other
    • Gabe is in Kate’s hospital room for most of the episode, his focus completely shifts to the fact that David is alive/indicted, and the upset that leads to his determinant outburst is based around Conrad’s absence and the determinate reason behind it
    • Tripp barely has any [crucial] thought regarding his old friend’s behavior
    • Kate never really learns what Javier determinately agreed to in order to guarantee she’d get help

And it’s collectively the only major issue I had with the episode.

@Melton23 besides, the new frontier wouldn’t want Clementine back so idk why she was so bothered in the first place, unless she wanted to avoid the awkwardness

I think that’s partially because there was most likely a specific reason why she didn’t want to be seen by the New Frontier originally. The fact that there’s unused dialogue where Badger was specifically after her rather than Javier when he came to Prescott adds to that notion.

• edited January 2018

This is an extremely interesting topic.

Thank you. Shoutout to @Bon-Bon for making the original(?) thread the last time I drug my feet on making one.

I always wondered what the group felt about Mark. He really only interacted with Lee (and Larry, I guess).

And Lily. But that's a good point, I don't think we really got much in the way of emotion-driven interaction around him specifically.

No, this reply isn't late. Why do you ask?

Malachite posted: »

This is an extremely interesting topic. I always wondered what the group felt about Mark. He really only interacted with Lee (and Larry, I guess).

• I didn't ask (does a finger gun while laugh track plays).

DabigRG posted: »

This is an extremely interesting topic. Thank you. Shoutout to @Bon-Bon for making the original(?) thread the last time I drug my fe

• Now that I've got the main bundle of relationships copied, here's a few of the fun hypothetics I put out.

Clementine and Jolene
    Kenny and Nate
    Sarah and Arvo
    Sarita and Reggie

• Here's a few other hypothetical interactions:

Lee and Alvin
    Ben and Lilly
    Vernon and Roman
    Becca and Carver

• I really wanted to see Clementine and Duck growing up together. Duck might've toughen up due to the circumstances but keep his dorky side safe and use it to soften Clementine a bit. They could be a nice and funny duo. Also Clementine desperately needs someone her age to interact with... someone who isn't dead and isn't Gabe.

I'm still frustrated about the fact that we never saw Alvin and Carver talking about that George incident. What fuck was even that mention? What was it made for? I feel like there was a huge potential for Alvin's character if you look at him through this conflict, but it kinda went nowhere.

• edited January 2018

@InKennyWeTrust

I really wanted to see Clementine and Duck growing up together.

Yeah, that's almost entirely the reason why he was listed as one of the bigger wasted characters on TVTropes. I suppose having the son of Kenny and the daughter figure of Lee surviving together is kind of a no brainer in terms of a sequel premise and I'm a little curious as to what he would look/be like in a different installment/timeline. Then again, I seldom see any fanart of him, much less any showcasing an older version of him, oddly enough. Guess that notion was simply that.

Though, to be honest, I'm not too bothered about him not being around myself since he was a really basic character created to serve one(or two) basic purpose that almost every kid/youth that came afterward ended up having [needlessly?] associated with them in addition to other, more complicated material. And all of them are far more interesting characters in part because that despite inherently not having the Season 1 goodwill attached to them.

Well, except James and debatably Mariana.

I'm still frustrated about the fact that we never saw Alvin and Carver talking about that George incident. What fuck was even that mention? What was it made for? I feel like there was a huge potential for Alvin's character if you look at him through this conflict, but it kinda went nowhere.

It was there to hammer in the fact that the Cabin Group isn't completely innocent, as directly stated on the Telltale Stream from Fall 2016. Alvin was arguably the most withdraw and docile of the Group aside from his unusual hostility regarding Carver, so revealing he did something as intense as killing his friend was meant to further shake up how Clementine may have viewed the Cabin Group as a whole.

Which still leaves Sarah as the Odd Woman Out, but still.

I really wanted to see Clementine and Duck growing up together. Duck might've toughen up due to the circumstances but keep his dorky side sa

• edited January 2018

In terms of each Installment's respective group(s), which relationship was your favorite? And/or how did it rank compared to the other inclusive pairings?

• edited February 2018

Here's a few other hypothetical interactions:

Lilly and Sarita
    Larry and Troy
    Jane and Natasha
    Kenny and Nate

• Okay, here's all the other Season 2 era hypothetical interactions so I can get it all out of my fuckin drafts:

Danny and Jolene
    Christa and Rebecca
    Molly and Ben

Vince and Jane
    Russell and Michelle
    Nate and Jolene

Eddie and Bonnie
    Bonnie and Nick
    Shel and Carlos

Luke and Shel
    Nick and Sarah

• edited March 2018

I have such an idea. Do in 4 season scene where Clementine is returning home. Seeing the house from a distance she shed tears and she smiles. But running to him and remembers Lee and smile is replaced by sadness. I believe that you will be able to make this scene very emotional and generally top 1 scene from video games.

• Duck and Carver
    Larry and Carver
    Clementine and Becca (one scene where they meet in passing and don't even talk to each other directly is the best it gets)
    Becca and Kenny
    Nate and Kenny

• edited March 2018

Interesting topic!

Season 1:
    * Lilly and Clementine
    * Lee and Lilly
    * Doug and Lilly
    * Lilly and Christa
    * Ben and Clementine
    * Lee and Larry
    * Mark and Lilly
    * Mark and Katjaa
    * Doug and Omid
    * Omid and Ben
    * Larry and Ben
    * Ben and Lilly
    * Lee and Ben

400 Days:
    * Vince and Shel
    * Russell and Becca
    * Shel and Bonnie
    * Vince and Bonne
    * Russell and Vince

Season 2:
    * Clementine and Becca
    * Russell and Sarah
    * Mike and Shel
    * Alvin and Clementine
    * Carver and Rebecca
    * Sarah and Becca
    * Rebecca and Carlos
    * Nick and Rebecca
    * Nick and Bonnie
    * Nick and Shel
    * Nick and Arvo
    * Shel and Clementine
    * Sarita and Clementine
    * Sarita and Sarah

A New Frontier:
    * Javier and Eleanor
    * Javier and Conrad
    * Javier and Ava
    * David and Kate
    * David and Ava
    * David and Dr Lingard
    * David and Jesus
    * Jesus and Eleanor
    * Tripp and Conrad
    * Tripp and Badger
    * Max and Javier
    * Max and Eleanor
    * Eleanor and Kate
    * Conrad and Eleanor
    * Conrad and Ava
    * Dr Lingard and Eleanor
    * Max and Ava
    * Eleanor and Clementine
    * Eleanor and Gabe
    * Gabe and Mariana
    * Kate and Gabe
    * Eli and Tripp
    * Eleanor and Ava
    * Ava and Clementine

Crossovers:
    * Lee and Mike
    * Lee and Walter
    * Lee and Sarita
    * Omid and Javier
    * Eleanor and Sarah
    * Ben and Sarah
    * Carlos and Eleanor
    * Kate and Carley
    * Doug and Mariana
    * Nick and Eleanor
    * Shel and Eleanor
    * Lee and Javier
    * Christa and Kate
    * Luke and Eleanor
    * Eleanor and Katjaa

And probably more I can't think of right now, hehe.

• edited March 2018

Did somebody tell ya'll my birthday coming up in few weeks or somethin? Cause this is pleasant surprise.

Also, I'll get to you eventually, Fergie. Because holy shit...!

• Lee is apparently Asian now, eh? :lol:
    That would be a neat, if somber way to end it.

OOjeser posted: »

I have such an idea. Do in 4 season scene where Clementine is returning home. Seeing the house from a distance she shed tears and she smiles

• Duck and Carver

:confused: Wow, this is...peculiar?

Larry and Carver
    Nate and Kenny

:lol:

Clementine and Becca (one scene where they meet in passing and don't even talk to each other directly is the best it gets)

Yeah, that was some serious missed opportunity.

Becca and Kenny

I honestly never considered that one, for better or worse.

wdfan posted: »

Duck and Carver Larry and Carver Clementine and Becca (one scene where they meet in passing and don't even talk to each other directly is the best it gets) Becca and Kenny Nate and Kenny

• I have such an idea. Do in 4 season scene where Clementine is returning home. Seeing the house from a distance she shed tears and she smiles. But running to him and remembers Lee and smile is replaced by sadness. I believe that telltale will be able to make this scene very emotional and in General top 1 scene from video games.

• Kenny and Javi/David. I think they could easily butt heads with each other at first but eventually find some common ground and respect for each other.
    • Vince and Shel. They're the only two 400 Days characters that can be killers, and coincidentally they're the only two who stayed behind in my game. Would love to see them interact more.
    • Lee and the cabin group circa episode 1. I would want to see how Lee would handle a scared group who locked Clem in a shed to (essentially) die. Imagine one armed Lee showing up at night during that storm, knocking on the door in a rage and asking about Clem... chills
    • Kate and Wyatt/Eddie. Smoke sesh for days.
  • Kenny and Javi/David. I think they could easily butt heads with each other at first but eventually find some common ground and respect for each other.

I suppose Kenny and Javier would be a vaguely neat combo for some.
    Kenny and David tho?

Vince and Shel. They're the only two 400 Days characters that can be killers, and coincidentally they're the only two who stayed behind in my game. Would love to see them interact more.

I don't know about that first reason, but yeah, I recall seeing some speculate about those two.

Lee and the cabin group circa episode 1. I would want to see how Lee would handle a scared group who locked Clem in a shed to (essentially) die. Imagine one armed Lee showing up at night during that storm, knocking on the door in a rage and asking about Clem... chills

Damn. Better hope Nick ain't got his rifle nearby, cause I'll be damn if that wouldn't scare the shit outta me.

Kate and Wyatt/Eddie. Smoke sesh for days.

Dankdankdankdankdankdankdank?
    What the fuck does that mean?

* Kenny and Javi/David. I think they could easily butt heads with each other at first but eventually find some common ground and respect for

• Uh, deja vu?

OOjeser posted: »

I have such an idea. Do in 4 season scene where Clementine is returning home. Seeing the house from a distance she shed tears and she smiles

• Kenny and Sarah(Apparently his only positive relationship with a Cabin Group Member; Inherent similarities; Don't share a conversation despite being near each other fairly often; Ignored chances to show his softer side)

Interestingly if the writers had done an arc where say Clem was getting Jane to actually help Sarah...then having Kenny interact could have afforded chances for Jane and Kenny moments....I am still convinced that the turning Jane into a Sarah parental figure would have paid out major kudos to the game....but alas....no.

DabigRG posted: »

Okay, since 10 people have commented, here's some more old points. Clementine and Alvin(Partially due to dummied out content; Could've fl

Sign in to comment in this discussion.