Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Open the box]

[Go with Ryler] I want to see Mathea again! Arthur can't avoid her forever, especially if he ever hopes to patch things up. Btw, I see no good reason to trust Rodrik.

Funny how upon Vali's introduction that I really liked him and now I can feel myself disliking him more and more, everytime he speaks.

Jenna Even approaching the maester's quarters gave Jenna an uneasy feeling. She hadn't been here in a long time and the thought of having

• Btw, I see no good reason to trust Rodrik.

To be honest, Arthur isn't trusting Rodrik either. At the same time, keep in mind that he doesn't have any previous experiences with the man. He doesn't know what Lucas went through and all he sees is a shady, creepy guy who may or may not be evil. So, he doesn't see any reason to distrust him either. That is beyond the point though. Their alliance is not one born out of trust, but out of necessity. If Rodrik's intentions are genuine, then he and Arthur have a common and very dangerous enemy in Wolfius and working together against him could be the only way to stop him. They don't really have to trust each other to do this and Arthur has no reason to just trust him like that, even if he isn't a distrustful man by nature. It remains to be seen what develops out of this, but a big part of it will narrow down to wether or not Rodrik's intentions are genuine here. Arthur's problem is that he is haunted by his past failure to stop Wolfius, seeing the deaths of Lyria, Urid and others as his responsibility and since the city guard has stopped investigating, he is also desperate enough to accept this rather unconventional ally. At this very moment, while Rodrik is a bad guy, he opposes someone even worse and that means Arthur sees little alternatives if he wants to have a shot at actually stopping Wolfius. Don't worry though, trust is not just granted and with his generally shady behaviour, it would take quite a lot for Rodrik to earn it.

Funny how upon Vali's introduction that I really liked him and now I can feel myself disliking him more and more, everytime he speaks.

He got that Saltmouth nickname rightfully. Vali isn't a bad guy, but his habit of really not having much of a filter between what he thinks and what he says has given him quite some trouble at the Citadel and it was to be expected that this very trait is what some readers will dislike about him as well. And in this particular part, Jenna was definitely annoyed by him, because in her general situation, she doesn't really have the patience required when dealing with him. That being said, Vali is a very complex character, so he is not just some motor-mouthed jester without manners, but there's deeper stuff with him as well.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Open the box] [Go with Ryler] I want to see Mathea again! Arthur can't avoid her forever, especially if he ever hopes to patch things up

• edited August 2018

Part of my dislike of Vali is admittedly my need to defend Saerya. But I just don't like how determined he seems to be to turn everyone against her and then has the nerve to act like he's such a trustworthy person.

Btw, I see no good reason to trust Rodrik. To be honest, Arthur isn't trusting Rodrik either. At the same time, keep in mind that he

• [Open the box] Let's be curious
    [Go with Rodrik] I don't know how much can it be good to Arthur if his fellow guards see him spend time with the cat obsessed people but I suppose that have a part in the conversation between The Tom and The Sphynx can be helpful for this temporary alliance

RT:
    1) This Jenna part and decision can really lead to some unexpected development
    2) While I like this temporary alliance and see more of the Alley Cats I hope that Arthur won't forget that they are a group of psychopaths murders and that Ryder won't forget that the Alley Cats wanted him to be a Moggy
    3)It's a little funny that Arthur make Ryler escape from the hospital just to have some parts later Ryder decide to comeback at it to visit Rosalie

Jenna Even approaching the maester's quarters gave Jenna an uneasy feeling. She hadn't been here in a long time and the thought of having

• I don't know how much can it be good to Arthur if his fellow guards see him spend time with the cat obsessed people but I suppose that have a part in the conversation between The Tom and The Sphynx can be helpful for this temporary alliance

Well, technically at least the Alley Cats and the city guard stand on the same side. Keep in mind, they are not killers for hire here in Raylansfair, at least not by name, but rather Mullendore's special forces, partially taking over some aspects previously reserved to the city guard or the castle guard. As such, there is little in terms of legal consequences Arthur has to fear, though nonetheless, some guardsmen might find it distasteful. No matter how they are called, it doesn't change that the Alley Cats are a shady group with a dark history and some are well aware of that detail.

This Jenna part and decision can really lead to some unexpected development

Aye, it can! Jenna in general (Jenneral?) will have some unexpected development in Book 2 for certain. Book 1 laid the foundations, Book 2 will now turn her into a character who, as I am inclined to believe, will quite surprise a number of you with the direction she'll take in some ways. Things are going to get complicated, but utterly exciting.

2) While I like this temporary alliance and see more of the Alley Cats I hope that Arthur won't forget that they are a group of psychopaths murders and that Ryder won't forget that the Alley Cats wanted him to be a Moggy

Well, technically Arthur cannot forget that they are a group of psychopathic murderers, because he doesn't know this fact. It's rumours at most, not quite common knowledge in Raylansfair and he never had any bad interaction with the Alley Cats before. However, neither will he just go and trust them. He's not stupid and though far from an ideal guardsman, he has the proper instincts and knows better than not to distrust them. And Ryler, his loyalties lie with his freshly rediscovered family and certainly not with the Alley Cats as a whole. After what he suffered at their hands, he hates most of them as he rightfully should. However, Rodrik had effectively no role in his capture and torture, didn't even know he was there, so this is one of the few things he cannot be blamed for. Ryler's storyline in Book 2 will majorly revolve around the conflict he feels. Keep in mind, he is a young man, barely out of his teens, he never really got a chance to grow up normally and is haunted by the loss of his family. Like most people his age, he is, of course, overjoyed to learn that part of said family survived, namely his beloved sister and his favourite uncle. Supporting them is only natural for him. At the same time, he cannot deny that both have turned into far darker characters than they used to be. It can be excused in Lucia's case, as we're eventually going to learn about her own suffering. She is, essentially, not evil but traumatized, at least this is what Ryler wants to believe. Rodrik however doesn't have the same speaking in his favour. He has redeeming qualities, but did some things that are inexcusable and only time will tell how Ryler will react to those. At the moment, he is confused and happy enough to ignore the problems this family reunion might pose in the long run.

3)It's a little funny that Arthur make Ryler escape from the hospital just to have some parts later Ryder decide to comeback at it to visit Rosalie

And as an ally of the man he originally fled from nonetheless. Goes to show how quickly things can change at times. Ryler's general situation is completely different than it used to be a few parts back, thanks to the revelation that the Sphynx is not the enemy he thought him to be.

[Open the box] Let's be curious [Go with Rodrik] I don't know how much can it be good to Arthur if his fellow guards see him spend time wit

• [Open the box]
    [Go with Rodrik]

• The Voting is closed!

Jenna is going to open the box

Arthur is going to go with Rodrik

I gotta say, I am slightly surprised by the first choice here, quite pleasantly though. I was kinda sure you'd play it safe and stay as far away from the creepy box as possible. I was wrong and this'll mean something interesting for Jenna's next part. Meanwhile, Arthur's decision will mean that he will personally meet the Tom, which doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. I was fairly indifferent here, I would have liked to show more of the clinic people, just as I would have liked to show more of the Alley Cats, so it's a win-win for me here :)

And well, the next part will be out today! My schedule is still not back to normal, due to my mother staying at the hospital until the end of this week and me in return spending several hours a day with her, which means less time for just about everything else. As such, this part will be out today instead of yesterday as it should have been. However, I feel very confident with a release for today. Right now, I am writing a Raenna part, but chances are there's going to be a second PoV in it as well, likely Sadie's or maybe Willfred's, so I'm going to give you recaps for both of them. Last time we saw Raenna, she was at the Last Hearth, celebrating in the Great Hall. However, the absence of Kory Umber, the troublesome youngest brother of Lord Roffe has raised some concerns and after losing his already thin patience, Roffe decided to go and look for him. Raenna went as well, with this being the reason why she's at the Last Hearth to begin with and after pressing her for a bit, Briar was allowed to come as well. Meanwhile, Sadie and company arrived at Castamere, where Leo Hill wishes to negotiate with Mileena Reyne over accepting the refugees from Maybros within the walls of her castle. With only one of the sellswords being allowed to accompany him, he offered the spot to Sadie, who eventually chose to accept and accompany him to the meeting. Willfred at last, with him I might decide to push him back a little bit, because his next part might require stuff to happen in Jenna's next part first (which, in turn, will mean that Jenna's next part will happen very soon, because while the chapter is definitely more than halfway over at this point, Willfred still has most of his storyline to be written due to what I consider to be a gross lack of foresight on my end). But anyways, last time we saw Willfred, he witnessed the arrival of the Selwyn family in Raylansfair, with Petyr seeking to ally with Lord Donnel Selwyn, likely in the same way he allied with Devrin Oakheart and Maron Mullendore. These two actually sought Willfred out as he was about to follow Petyr and Donnel into the Great Hall, asking to speak to him and Willfred accepted and decided to follow them.

• My apologies, but once more the part has experienced an unexpected delay. This time, it was because Raenna's part needed more work and I ended up deciding that it would better work as a long one instead of being cut in half with an ultimately arbitrary choice. This means, no Sadie this time, she'll be back in the next part, probably with the next PoV for either Irae or Ysilla as well. Both are equally likely, though one might require a full-length part instead. For now, I hope you enjoy Raenna's long part!

Raenna

“He's not in his room”, Roffe growled, as they had gathered in the courtyard. His face was a mask of calmness, though his massive fists were clenched and there was dark fury in his eyes. Dag's expression hardened as well, perhaps with disappointment. “And he isn't in the godswood”, he stated in a toneless, stressed voice, repeating what Harrold and Eon had reported just minutes ago.

They stood in the centre of the courtyard, at the bottom of the stairs that led up to the Great Hall. The sun was already about to set in the distance and Raenna was surprised by how early it seemed to happen. It was, perhaps, the late afternoon and yet it would be pitch black outside in just a few hours from now.

One of her hands was resting on Briar's shoulder and she wondered if bringing the girl along had been for the best. The Umber triplets were still in the Great Hall, together with Malina and Jorn, they would have looked after her. And yet, she tried to get that thought out of her head again. Briar had seemed so happy and she wouldn't want to ruin her mood. Seven knew, it was hard enough to keep that girl from asking uncomfortable questions about Kersea, questions she just wasn't yet ready to answer.

Letting out something between a sigh and a low growl, Roffe stared down at his shaking hands. “The boy has some explaining to do”, he stated. “Sneaking out of the castle so close to nightfall, when we have guests around” Dag shook his head. “I am certain there is a good explanation for that”, he argued, though his voice was lacking the usual confidence.

Roffe's glare hit him and then each of the others save for Briar with an intensity that made Raenna shiver. “Yeah, like him being a gods fucking forsaken wildling traitor”, he spat, loud enough for Dag to glance around the almost empty courtyard in sudden worry. “Our brother is not a traitor”, he insisted, not without sharpness to his voice.

“If he's in cahoots with the wild ones he's no brother of mine”, Roffe replied viciously, red-faced with anger. “So better hope he has a bloody good explanation for his absence” He sighed and Raenna could see how stressed he truly was. Yet it was the sort of stress that got channelled through a giant's fury. She couldn't help but to pity his enemies.

Without listening to Dag's attempts at calming things down, the Lord of the Last Hearth marched towards the gate. A small crew of guardsmen stood there to this late hour and they stood firm as they saw their lord approaching. Raenna recognized their leader as Johannes Challender, the man who had welcomed them to the castle.

“My lord”, Johannes said, saluting as Roffe came closer. “How may I help you?” Roffe needed a moment to calm down and his anger was clearly visible in Giant's behaviour, as the wolf was nervously glancing around. Seeing the animal sharing his master's temper was worrying for Raenna, though the presence of the calmer Mutt seemed to help with keeping the large wolf under control.

Roffe mustered his men with a glare. “Any of you seen Kory?”, he asked and the men shared confused glances with each other. “He's not in the castle”, Dag explained. “We fear he might be in trouble” Nervously, he looked past the guards. “I suppose I don't have to remind you that these lands aren't exactly safe at night”

Once more, there were nervous looks and Raenna narrowed her eyes. Finally, Johannes cleared his throat. “We haven't seen him, your grace”, he said, but Raenna knew it was a lie. “Mylord”, she hissed and Roffe nodded. Still, the ferocity with which he grabbed the guardsman by the collar of his tabard surprised her. “If you lie to me again, you can find yourself a new lord to serve, Challender”, he snarled.

This caused Johannes to grow pale. “Forgive me, mylord”, he stuttered. “Kory ordered us to keep quiet, but... I suppose this isn't right” He sighed. “He left the castle an hour ago. Made us swear not to say a word to anyone”, he admitted and Roffe let go of him. “Mylord, do you allow me a question?”

Roffe hesitated for a moment, before he gave him a nod. “It's true, isn't it?”, Johannes then asked. “The rumours... Kory's involvement with the wildlings” Again, Roffe seemed to hesitate, but it was Dag who spoke up in his stead. “We do not know”, he admitted. “It is unlikely. However, he has surely picked up some odd habits and the sooner we learn where he's heading, the better, for him most of them all”

“We... we do not know where he went”, the guard claimed. “Mylord, forgive me” Roffe quickly raised a hand. “At ease, soldier”, he spoke, though a hint of anger remained in his voice. “You tried to honour your promise to my brother, I respect that” With that said, he narrowed his eyes. “But do not lie to me again. What you swear to Kory matters not when I am involved”

“Of course, mylord”, Johannes swore and Roffe allowed himself a slight smile, though it was quickly replaced by a mixture of worry and anger. “Did he leave on horseback?” To thi, the guard shook his head. “By foot”, he replied.

Roffe and Dag exchanged a look and the younger Umber tensed up. “Cannot be too far then”, he answered. “Still, finding him won't be easy after sunset... unless...” Instantly, Roffe cut him off. “No”, he growled and Dag tilted his head. “She could find him with ease”, he claimed.

“I can as well”, the lord replied. “We won't get Runa involved” Dag raised an eyebrow. “She's better than you in these regards”, he tried to convince his brother. “Don't you want to find Kory?” Roffe sighed at last. “Then go and get her. The rest of us will ride ahead. I'm sure she'll catch up”, he gave in. “Johannes, I require four horses... no, make it five. You'll come with us”

Johannes saluted. “At once, mylord!”, he promised, as he hurried to the stables. Dag turned back to the Great Hall, though Roffe held him back. “What if she disapproves of our suspicions?”, he asked. “What if she sides with Kory?” To this, Dag shook his head. “If you haven't noticed how loyal she is to you, then you are even thicker than you look”

He broke free of Roffe's grip as the lord frowned, continuing his way to the Great Hall. Roffe remained, looking at Harrold and Eon. “You two are with me?”, he asked and Eon saluted. “Mylord, if it helps your family, it'll help the North”, he spoke. “You have my word that we find your brother”

“I want to come as well!”, Briar exclaimed, causing Roffe and Raenna to exchange a slightly alarmed look. “She can ride with me”, Raenna offered, though Roffe did not seem convinced. “These lands are no place for a child”, he brought up and Briar quickly approached him. Pouting and wide-eyed, she looked up at him. “Can I please come, Ser?”, she asked. “I promise I will be good and I won't get in your way”

Roffe raised both eyebrows, as he looked at Raenna, who just shrugged. “By the gods, how do you keep up with that girl?”, he asked, only half serious. “And you, stop giving me that look!” Instantly, Briar's expression shifted, as she blew her cheeks out. “Better?”, she asked, trying to lower her voice to match Roffe's raspy growl. This actually caused a smile to appear on the lord's face. “Bloody hell, girl...”, he mumbled. “Fine, take her then”

With a triumphant smile, Briar turned to Raenna, who sighed, trying to suppress a smile. “I really shouldn't spoil you too much”, she brought up and Briar shrugged. “Eh, as long as I can come with you when you do stuff like this”, she replied and fluttered her eyelashes. “I mean, I know you can't do that without me”

“Can I now?”, Raenna exlcaimed, though in this moment, Johannes already returned, leading several horses with him. The animals seemed only slightly uncomfortable around the two wolves, the largest of them even showing nothing but indifference to the presence of Giant. Sure enough, this was the one Roffe was approaching. “Fine northern breed”, he explained. “You won't find a steed this loyal anywhere in the south”

He climbed up, as Raenna approached one of the smaller, more lighter horses. It'd be enough for her and Briar both, as she climbed up. Eon walked up behind Briar and the girl barely protested as he lifted her up and into Raenna's arms. “Hey, I can do that on my own”, she said and Raenny responded by hugging her more tightly. “I don't doubt it”, she whispered. “But if you want to go with me, you do it my way”

“But you hate it if people help you”, Briar brought up and Raenna rolled her eyes. “That is not the same”, she snapped and behind her, Harrold Hornwood chuckled softly, as he got up on the back of his horse. “Hey kid”, he called for Briar. “Just do what the lady says and if you're good, you can pet the horse”

This put a wide smile onto the girl's face, as she buried both hands in the horse's mane, satisfied for the moment. Ranne sighed in relief. “You are good with children”, she admitted towards Harrold and Eon chuckled next to her. “It takes a simple mind for that”, he said in a playful tone.

Harrold however shook his head. “Wouldn't say I'm good with them”, he claimed. “However, if you don't mind me saying, you're simply not that good with them” Raenna raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, how could I ever mind you saying that?”, she asked and Harrold flashed her a grin. “No shame in that”, he assured her. “Though I always had to wonder, how did you two end up to begin with? You're obviously not related to her, I mean”

Raenna looked at Briar, who was happily wrapping her hands around the horse and gently tickling its ears. An involuntary smile found a way onto her face, though it died down as quick as it came the moment she fully realized what Harrold had been asking. “I... don't really want to talk about it”, she mumbled. The Hornwood man nodded, his expression oozing understanding. “You don't have to”, he spoke. “I'll keep guessing then. You... haven't abducted her or anything, have you?”

“Not really”, Raenna spoke, but Briar looked up. “She saved me”, she proclaimed, giving her a warm, wide smile. “I didn't like it back where I've been. Only Uncle Maron was nice to me” With this, she tilted her head and Raenna sighed, as she knew what the next question would be. “Where is Uncle Maron?”, the girl asked. “Doesn't he want to visit me?”

“Uncle Maron, huh?”, Harrold asked and Raenna subtly shook her head. Eon understood first, placing a hand on his friends upper arm. “Maybe you can write him a letter”, she mentioned and Briar smiled widely. “Great!”, she spoke, before her smile died down. “But... I can't write”

Before Raenna was able to reply something calming, the booming voice of Roffe Umber cut her off. “Alright then!”, he roared. “With me now! We're heading for the forest. If Kory seeks to hide anywhere, that's the only spot in fifty miles” With this, he rode forth and through the open gate, Johannes and Raenna following, with Eon and Harrold guarding their backs. Giant was with them as well, effortlessly keeping up with the horse.

“The forest...”, Johannes mumbled, as they rode out into the open plains that surrounded the Last Hearth. In the distance to the north, Raenna spotted the forest and by now, she had to gasp as the setting sun doused the distant Wall red. “I know”, Roffe growled. “If he's there, he'll be heading to the Wall”

“He can't mean to cross it”, Eon spoke and his voice hinted at his surprise and nervousness. “It's not as if the Night's Watch just lets anyone through their castles” Roffe chuckled in a chilling tone. “The nearest castles from here are Long Barrow and the Torches”, he explained. “Both have a garrison of about a hundred and fifty men... combined. They focus on protecting their castles and occasionally, they send builders to keep the Wall from falling apart” He shook his head. “Up here, we are the shield that guards the realms of men. Their Ironborn Lord Commander does fairly little to protect my people from these wildling monsters”, he continued. “And they won't do anything to prevent my brother from returning to them”

“But why now?”, Johannes brought up. “Kory has been back for months. Why should he leave us now?” Roffe sighed and waited for a moment, as they rode their horses across the barren road that led towards the forest in the distance. “Perhaps he fears that we're up to something”, he stated. “Perhaps he knows that we suspect him” There was a sullen tone in the lord's voice and Johannes seemed to notice it as well. “It is not your fault, mylord”, he spoke, though Roffe shook his head. “Is it now?”, he asked quietly.

After that, they were silent. Roffe said not a word, instead fastening his horse and Johannes kept up effortlessly. Raenna had it a bit harder. Riding had never been quite an essential skill in the training the old man had given her. Terroma had taught her how to read and write and where to stab a man to kill him in an instant, but riding a horse? She sighed, noticing that there were many things he never taught her. Cooking or knitting or caring for a child for example. Things one would need in a normal life. And as thankful as he was for what he had given to her, she couldn't help but feel like the current situation was yet another aspect of his legacy. Her riding across a half-frozen landscape, chasing after a wayward nobleman.

As such, she focussed on remaining atop the horse and keeping Briar up there was well. To her surprise, the girl turned out to be a rather skilled rider though, sitting on the animal with ease and obviously having more fun than all of the five riders combined. Her bright laughter echoed across the plains, until Roffe silenced her with a glare. “Kory might hear us”, he growled.

“He might see us as well”, Johannes brought up and Roffe gulped. “No...”, he mumbled. “He is not...” He glanced over his shoulder, his eyes widening in alarm. “Unless he lied to us. But my sisters would have noticed...”, he continued, though Raenna saw how tensed up he was. “At the same time... the animals hate him”

“What?”, Harrold called. “Mylord, what are you talking about?” Roffe glanced over his shoulder, shaking his head. “It doesn't matter”, he spoke. “It won't affect our task. We have to find Kory and bring him back to the Last Hearth. There, he will answer all of our questions”

It was in this moment that Raenna noticed something approaching them from the forest. It was a bird and as it came closer, she recognized a white owl, flying unusually low. Roffe raised an arm, signalling them to slow down, as the owl did the same, flying a circle around them before landing on Roffe's shoulder.

“Wonder what took you so long”, the lord spoke and Raenna raised an eyebrow in confusion. Next to her, Harrold merely shrugged, while Eon calmly placed a hand on his chin. “Have you found him?” For a moment, Raenna honestly expected the owl to answer as Roffe obviously did. Instead, the bird's behaviour changed at once. From calm and collected, it grew visibly confused and, well, wild. Letting out a high-pitched screech, it slammed its wings into Roffe's face and the lord groaned as he shook the bird off. “What the fuck is your problem?”, he yelled, as the owl flew off.

Quickly however, Raenna mentioned that in the owl's stead, it was Giant who was behaving odd now. Walking a few steps ahead, he sat down on the ground, letting out a long howl. As strange as this scene was for her, Roffe seemed to understand at once. “Oh, come on now!”, he growled. “Giant? You know I hate it when you do that! What would you say when I do that to Roffy?”

Johannes chuckled and Eon's eyes widened, as he finally seemed to realize what was going on. “Now, this is indeed useful”, he spoke. “I believe your sister can help us, Lord Umber?” Roffe nodded, as he gave his wolf an unusually sharp look. “You found something”, he snarled. “Go ahead then. But once I'm back at the Last Hearth, we'll have a long talk about this”

Giant began to turn around and Raenna was certain that the wolf just shrugged, before it began to approach the forest. Roffe followed, then Johannes and Harrold, while she remained. “Mylady, don't you want to join us?”, Eon asked and Raenna gave him a confused look. “I thought we were waiting for Lady Runa”, she spoke, to which Eon chuckled. “If I am correct with my guess, then we won't have to wait”, he said cryptically, turning his horse to follow after the three riders and the wolf. With a still confused sigh, Raenna followed as well.

“That makes any sense to you, little one?”, she asked and Briar leant back, pressing against her belly. Biting down on her lower lip, she thought about it for a moment. “Are we there yet?”, she asked at last, her tone as unenthusiastic as possible and Raenna sighed, as she moved a hand through the girl's hair. “What did I expect?”, she mumbled, as Briar flashed her a grin.

Reaching the forest, Giant continued to walk down the forest road, though it quickly became darker, denser and less suited for proper travel. The horses had little difficulties, but Raenna was certain, by foot she would have tripped over something by now. But led by a wolf, they made their way through the forest and after a while, Roffe raised his hand. Though Giant was walking ahead, the wolf stopped at once.

“I think I know where he is headed”, the lord revealed. “Old Toren's lodge, am I right?” Giant turned around, growling affirmatively. It was only afterwards that Raenna noticed she had heard a wolf confirming a statement by its master. The almost surreal scenery was tarnished by Roffe's frown though. “Oh Kory...”, he mumbled. “Why there? Out of all the places, why there?” He pulled himself together, as he descended from his horse. “We leave the steeds”, he growled. “They'd only make noise. We gotta get as close to the farmstead as possible”

As Raenna followed his example and while helping Briar down the horse, her gaze met Johannes' and the guard finally delivered a bit of an explanation to her. “The lodge is where Lord Roffe's father was killed by the wild ones”, he revealed. “Alongside his master-at-arms, the captain of the guard and Old Toren himself. Kory was taken on that day and the lodge stood empty ever since”

“Not anymore”, Roffe replied. “Kory has some explaining to do” He put a hand onto the hilt of his axe, causing an alarmed expression to flash over Johannes' face. “Mylord, do you intend to use force?”, he asked and Roffe shrugged. “Perhaps”, he admitted.

“What are the chances he just wants to visit this place?”, Eon asked. “Sounds like it is a rather important place for him as well” Roffe shook his head. “Slim”, he spoke. “He never mentioned anything like this to us” Slowly, they made their way through the underbrush and in the distance, Raenna saw lights.

“Well, someone is at the lodge”, Johannes brought up. Even from afar, the wind carried several muffled voices closer. Roffe narrowed his eyes, firmly gripping his axe. “I say we go in there now”, he stated. “Find out what is going on there” He looked around those following him, his gaze resting on Raenna for a little longer. “Or do you have a better idea?”

[Storm the lodge] [Sneak closer and listen]

• ****[Sneak closer and listen]****

My apologies, but once more the part has experienced an unexpected delay. This time, it was because Raenna's part needed more work and I end

• [Storm the lodge] Shoot first ask questions later. No survivors, no mercy, ravage the place. Obviously terrorists have taken over, got to bomb the hell out of this place.

My apologies, but once more the part has experienced an unexpected delay. This time, it was because Raenna's part needed more work and I end

• [Sneak closer and listen] Storming the lodge could lead things to getting ugly, so we might as well check it out and listen.

Seems like Lord Commander Hoare has his hands full with manning the Wall, so I'm not surprised the Night's Watch don't try to help in the lands of House Umber.

• [Sneak closer and listen]

And the plot thickens... I wonder what Kory is doing in that lodge.

• [Sneek closer and listen]

• [Sneak closer and listen] Let's be smart now, we will likely learn more about the situation this way. At this point I'm starting to wonder if Kory isn't a traitor after all and this is all just misdirection to reveal... something, idk :D Him going to the place where he was first taken by the wildlings is certainly curious.

Also, as much as I still feel like taking Briar with Raenna was a mistake, I really enjoyed their interaction in this part :)

• [Sneak closer and listen]

RT:
    1) If I must be honest Liquid I don't really enjoy this storyline since it seems to me that things happening a little too,I don't know,fast? Maybe I would have liked more if you spend a little more time to introduce the Umbers and this storyline (but this is my opinion eh)
    2) Another complain that I have is that it seems weird to me that the Lord decide,instead to send his scouts, go around with only people of interest outside the castle to seek his brother;brother that could be in cahoots with an army of wildings for what we know! (I understand why you do that,make interactions between named characters,but maybe they were a little to many guests and not enough guards here)
    3) ANOTHER complain is that it seemand strange that Raenna decide to let Briar accompany her at a possible dangerous situation in the middle of nowhere when is even almost night! I understand that she is not good at parenting but this seems to me something really dumb to do!
    4) Since I whine enough about this part here something that I like:Raenna talk with Hornwood and Eon about her connection with Briar!
    5) I really hope that all this Kory in the House (Umber) storyline will lead in the next part to some interesting events and not the obvious outcome (Kory work with the wildings!OMG!)
    6) Maybe I'm going to be a little repetitive but to be honest I don't hate the storyline (expecially since House Umber seems really interesting) but I feel that I can't enjoy it probably because I don't have enough time (in the story obv) to feel invested with the events of Raenna PoV and the many characters inside it

• Seems like Lord Commander Hoare has his hands full with manning the Wall, so I'm not surprised the Night's Watch don't try to help in the lands of House Umber.

Yeah, I mean to show that the Night's Watch is already declining. The unification of Westeros and some of the events during Targaryen rule will slow this down, but to be honest, several castles, among them Long Barrow and the Torches, both relatively close to the Last Hearth, should have probably been given up decades ago. They are pretty much manned by a skeleton crew, so this has become the first of many points where wildlings can climb the wall with relative ease. Even if the Lord Commander would want to help House Umber (and Roffe's general hot-headed personality doesn't really help his case), he simply doesn't have enough men to fully protect every inch of the wall as some of his predecessors have been able to do. As such, the houses to the far north of Westeros already have to take over some of these duties, being the first line of defense against the ever increasing amount of marauding wildlings.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Sneak closer and listen] Storming the lodge could lead things to getting ugly, so we might as well check it out and listen. Seems like L

• Also, as much as I still feel like taking Briar with Raenna was a mistake, I really enjoyed their interaction in this part :)

Ah, it might have been a mistake from a logical standpoint, but Raenna just cannot deny Briar something like that. She'd make for a terrible parent, that much is for sure. I am really glad you enjoyed their interaction though! I like them as well, allows me to show some sides of Raenna she doesn't usually let out towards others :)

[Sneak closer and listen] Let's be smart now, we will likely learn more about the situation this way. At this point I'm starting to wonder i

• 1) If I must be honest Liquid I don't really enjoy this storyline since it seems to me that things happening a little too,I don't know,fast? Maybe I would have liked more if you spend a little more time to introduce the Umbers and this storyline (but this is my opinion eh)

Ah, a negative criticism! I do like that, especially as it is something I was already a bit concerned of. Trust me, I am not happy with the fast pace in Raenna's storyline either. I love slower storylines, time for character development, especially given that there is a new and large cast to interact with. However, this is a problem I have in Raenna's storyline: I don't have enough chapters for it. My original plan for her saw plenty room for such slow development. The scene here was planned for next chapter, for example. However, this would have come at the cost of some of her later parts and I ultimately decided that this would still be the easiest part of her storyline to condense a bit. In fact, Raenna is part of the reason why Book 2 will have 10 chapters instead of 9 and there still isn't enough room. This will eventually change and I think that ultimately, it is unfortunate but necessary, as you will no doubt see in the end. I can understand you here though, I personally don't consider this perfect either. The issue is, Raenna will eventually leave the Last Hearth and the main meat of her storyline will revolve around something to be revealed in this chapter. Some of the Umber family will shine only later on in Book 2, but they will shine regardless, this I can promise.

2) Another complain that I have is that it seems weird to me that the Lord decide,instead to send his scouts, go around with only people of interest outside the castle to seek his brother;brother that could be in cahoots with an army of wildings for what we know! (I understand why you do that,make interactions between named characters,but maybe they were a little to many guests and not enough guards here)

Here I have to say, this does seem weird, but it is partially Roffe's tendency to lead by example and always be the first to do something potentially dangerous, paired with Dag's cautiousness. Roffe goes because he wants to go, simple as that. With the exception of Johannes, one of their most trusted, only their guests come with him, because Dag wants to prevent the suspicion they have towards Kory from becoming common knowledge. Johannes can be trusted, but if a dozen guards learn about Roffe's suspicion towards Kory, soon everyone will know, including Kory himself. Dag wishes to prevent that on the chance that this is all a big misunderstanding. You might remember that even their entire reason to be there is covered up as a visit from Malina Karstark to the most powerful unmarried lord of the North. As such, only a small group goes with Roffe, mostly consisting of people who know exactly why they are here.

3) ANOTHER complain is that it seemand strange that Raenna decide to let Briar accompany her at a possible dangerous situation in the middle of nowhere when is even almost night! I understand that she is not good at parenting but this seems to me something really dumb to do!

That I must agree, it is not a smart thing. Raenna is really bad at this whole parenting thing, Briar is super stubborn and I didn't want the decision to take her from last part to result in her being left regardless, that would have made it feel a bit irrelevant to choose. Can understand why it might seem a bit odd as well though, but Raenna doesn't really consider this to be all that dangerous, unless they separate from the group. Keep in mind, technically these are the Umber lands and it is Roffe's duty to make sure they are safe for travellers even at night.

4) Since I whine enough about this part here something that I like:Raenna talk with Hornwood and Eon about her connection with Briar!

Hehe, I am glad there is something you like about the part as well :p I said it above already, I do like the connection with Briar, but I also really grow to enjoy Harrold and Eon and the northern cast in general. I also, in reply to your first point in this comment, can promise that more such talks will come, to flesh out the characters.

5) I really hope that all this Kory in the House (Umber) storyline will lead in the next part to some interesting events and not the obvious outcome (Kory work with the wildings!OMG!)

Interesting events, aye. I think I feel pretty confident with claiming that the twist coming soon in Raenna's storyline won't be something any of you will see coming. Can't say if it will be the outcome you consider obvious, but I can say that the situation in general will likely be vastly different from what you are expecting.

6) Maybe I'm going to be a little repetitive but to be honest I don't hate the storyline (expecially since House Umber seems really interesting) but I feel that I can't enjoy it probably because I don't have enough time (in the story obv) to feel invested with the events of Raenna PoV and the many characters inside it

Yeah, I really can understand it. I feel forced to write Raenna's storyline at this pace, because I absolutely must take time for some events later on. I'd imagine once you actually know what is to come, you will agree with me that this is still the best time to fasten the pace, so that later events of true magnitude can shine properly. Doesn't really make it better right now, but I hope that eventually there will be enough time for you to grow invested in the characters from Raenna's storyline.

[Sneak closer and listen] RT: 1) If I must be honest Liquid I don't really enjoy this storyline since it seems to me that things happeni

• [Storm the lodge]

• The Voting is closed!

Raenna is going to sneak closer and listen to the conversation

Not a particularly active voting, but one that has been open for long enough and with a choice that won't be inconsequential, that much I can say. The next part for Raenna's storyline should be one of revelations, about Kory, about the Umber family in general beyond what has just been hinted at so far. Prepare for twists next time I get to write a part for her, which I hope is going to be soon.

For now, I hope to release the next part today. I am currently writing an Irae PoV and I will also add a PoV for Sadie, who already got a recap last time, as I expected to include her in what ultimately ended up as Raenna's part. However, there should be room for a second PoV after finishing Irae's part, so Sadie it will be. The other character who needs a part, Ysilla, is less likely to fit into half a part worth of content, so to be on the safe side, I'll move her to the part after the next one. But yeah, you know about Sadie and her upcoming meeting with Lady Reyne in Castamere. Irae meanwhile met Naela Orlatis last time, daughter of Kareq Orlatis the fur trader, person of interest for the Blood Witch. On orders of her master, Moros Qo Malxis, Irae went to the Orlatis estate to deal with Kareq's mysterious illness and to win Naela's trust, in order to eventually deliver her to the Blood Witch to buy the warlocks time to deal with her. She doesn't like this one bit, but at this point, she doesn't really see an alternative. As I said, I do hope to release the part today. I have to make a trip to the hospital as well though, as my mother is expected to leave that rotten place on Wednesday and I'll help her with packing some stuff already, so that's coming up ahead and it might limit my time a bit. I don't expect it to be substantial though, so that I can be relatively confident in releasing the next part today. Hope you look forward for it :)

• I am deeply sorry for once again having to change my plans, though this shouldn't be much of a surprise by now. Irae's part just grew and grew yesterday, to the point where I decided it could easily stand on its own. Unfortunately, this means I have to push Sadie behind once more, to my deepest regret, as I am actually super excited to write her part. But as I said, Irae's part has gotten long enough to leave no room for a second PoV, to my utmost surprise. I'll write Sadie's part next and hopefully, there will be room for Ysilla's next part in it as well, but for now, here's an all Irae part, which you are hopefully going to enjoy :)

Irae

Though Irae had never been one to jovially sit together, she had to admit, Naela was serving a splendid tea. Mixed with exotic herbs from Westeros, it was unlike anything she had ever tasted before, certainly not even comparable to the bitter, at worst downright disgusting Shade of the Evening served among the warlocks.

Right now, she was finishing her third cup, mild warmth running down her throat and soothing her voice. The girl was sitting across her, watching her with a pleased, yet slightly sly smile. “You like it?”, she asked and Irae nodded. “Surprisingly, warlocks aren't known for their exquisite cuisine”, she spoke and Naela chuckled. “Surprisingly”, she spoke, imitating Irae's tone, almost mockingly. “I did hear about this” She took a sip from her own tea. “Glad you enjoy it though”, she admitted. “Father will be pleased to hear it. I mean, he always wants this, any guest to feel at home here. Leaves me to do it, while he... is bedridden”

As she said this, her smile faded and for a moment, she avoided Irae's glance. The warlock sighed. This had not been one of the things she was trained for. She could bewitch the girl's mind, make her see things of beauty to convince her or outright force her will, but this would lead only to greater problems later on. Actually having a proper conversation though... that was beyond what she had learned among the warlocks, most of which were treating even simple talks as a sparring match, to scout for the other's weaknesses. And even with that, Irae had never shown any particular talent for conversation. In fact, it made her all the more baffled that Moros had chosen her. She wasn't the best healer, nor the best liar among the order. The only thing that made her stand out is that the Blood Witch chose to speak to her.

Right now, all she knew was that Naela's father was her weakness. The look on her face... it made the young warlock sigh with pity. Not for the first time, she had to imagine herself sitting there, in another life, worried for a father, a braver man who hadn't thrown her to the warlocks like a sack of garbage for the way she looked. Would she be the same? A worried daughter, willing to go to such extreme lengths to ensure her father's survival? And would it have been better than the life she had in the end, the power?

“So, it is only you and your father?”, she asked, just to get her to talk, to snap her out of her momentary sorrow. Naela nodded, taking a deep breath in the process. “My mother died when I was young and I barely remember her”, she revealed. “It... did a number on my father. I think he still believes he has to make up for it” To this, she shook her head and a slight, warm smile appeared on her face. “He's the best. But yes, there's just me and him. Whom else should there be?” There was a slight shiver in her voice, showing that the confident, even somewhat sassy tone wasn't entirely how she felt.

Irae shrugged, as she emptied her cup. “Your father never remarried?”, she asked and Naela shook her head again. “There have been suitors. Women who sought to marry him, some probably even for him and not for his wealth, but he never looked twice at them. None could replace my mother. When the sun is gone, a mere candle cannot replace it, as he always says” She smiled freely as she spoke and Irae was glad to have lightened her mood, at least somewhat. Darker times would come inevitably.

“And what about you?”, she brought up, perhaps unwisely, as Naela instantly frowned. “Me?”, she asked, not without sharpness. “I hope you haven't spoken to the Spice King about this” A cold smile flashed over her lips as she noticed Irae's shocked confusion. “Nah, doubt you're the type. He's not fond of warlocks, for all I know”

“I am familiar with the Spice King”, Irae claimed and indeed, she knew him by reputation. Cunning, ruthless and twice as ambitious, he had brought the Ancient Guild of Spicers and their rivals, the pirates of the Tourmaline Brotherhood into an uneasy alliance against the Pureborn kings of Qarth, challenging their authority perhaps for the first time in known history. And he hated warlocks, ever since that tragedy with his firstborn.

“Trust me, you are not”, Naela replied. “You don't know what a dirty old crook he is. The way he looks at me. Not only with lust, but with greed at my father's wealth. He wanted me for years now, but he had never been this bothersome before. Ever since my father fell ill, I have to deal with this regularly. Every single day, I receive flowers, jewelry, sometimes he even sends slaves and greater luxury. The Spice King's token of affections” She shrugged. “I shared his trinkets with the poor. Figures there's little he'd hate more than seeing the lowest with his riches. Freed his slaves for I can't stand their presence. Made him waste all of the effort he did to impress me”

Irae raised an eyebrow. “Smart”, she complimented her. “Is the Spice King bothering you?” Naela shook her head. “Well, he is”, she admitted immediately afterwards. “But your help won't be necessary, warlock. I know that tone from your kind. I want him out of my life, but you think about cursing him, do you not?”

“No”, Irae lied instantly, though she allowed herself a mischievous smile. Naela chuckled, as she rose from her chair. “Well, whatever, I don't need help dealing with him, tempting as it might be to turn him into a frog or whatever it is you're doing. He's, like, twice as old as the city and quite probably fatter than his entire fleet combined. Wonder why he can still walk on his own. If he is bothering me, all I have to do is to walk at a moderately fast pace to escape him”, she explained. “But you asked if there's anyone else in my life, did you not?”

Irae nodded, adding a hopeful smile and Naela gave her a crooked smirk. “What a perfectly normal question to ask, warlock”, she said and Irae's smile faded as she realized she was being made fun of. At the same time, it did wonders with endearing this girl further to her. How many would dare to mock a warlord so openly, even if it was done in good spirits? Naela was perhaps a lucky one, for dealing with her instead of Moros, who would have lost his patience by now.

“The answer is no, and that is where the Spice King comes into play”, Naela explained. “No matter how often I spurn him, he has made his intentions clear. That does wonders with scaring away anyone else seeking to follow in my father's footsteps. The dirty old crook is useful for something after all, I give him that much at least”

“You do have to marry eventually, isn't that right?”, Irae asked. “You have a duty to your father's empire” The moment she said these words, she regretted them, for reminding Naela of anything binding her to Qarth would make her mission harder. The girl shrugged in return. “I suppose”, she spoke and Irae sighed in relief at Naela's indifference. “Though there are other ways. I mean, marriage sounds nice and all, but with my father's name, most see only his wealth and not, well... me”

Irae found that hard to believe, but to be fair, she wasn't quite accustomed to wealth. But Naela was undeniably beautiful with her fair complexion, her warm brown eyes and lovely features. Any man could consider himself lucky to be with her. The girl tilted her head sideways. “Is there a problem with this, warlock?”, she asked and Irae was quick to shake her head. “It surprises me”, she admitted. “I had yet to meet a Qartheen girl your age and standing without an army of suitors and lovers”

Naela's smile was a slightly forced one. “Well, I suppose I'm special then”, she said briefly and sharply. “Don't get it the wrong way, but I don't think that's much of your business, huh?” Just like the girl, Irae forced a smile. “Of course not”, she replied. “I was just curious” Deep down though, she felt satisfaction. No family beyond her loving father. No lover, that could have complicated things. Probably few friends. It was grim that she had to be thankful for that, but ties to Qarth, they made it only harder for Naela to leave.

The girl rolled her eyes. “The warlock is curious”, she mouthed silently, before speaking up again. “Yeah, I am so relieved by this” She chuckled softly, as she turned around. “I suppose it is time then. Come, I shall bring you to my father” She began to walk and Irae followed, placing a hand on her satchel, where she kept the vials of medicine Moros had brewed just hours ago. Potent magic was weaved into the liquid and even through the fabric, she felt it. One for every occasion and eventually, it would save Kareq Orlatis' life.

“So, you mentioned you're curious and I answered your questions, no matter how inappropriate”, Naela spoke, as she left the large dining room they had rested in, entering a long, dark hallway, the walls adorned by tapestries and intimidatingly huge statues, some of them old and nearly featureless, others perfect images of the ones they portrayed, cast in solid marble. “Does that mean I can be curious as well? You're kinda the first warlock I meet. First that isn't all that odd, if you know what I mean”

Irae glanced at her out of her light eyes. Not odd... that was a first. “Always considered myself the oddest among them”, she admitted calmly, though she found herself reluctant to part with more information. “There's not much to say though. Not much I am allowed to tell you at least. I've been born in Qarth, spent my entire life among the warlocks...”

“Ouch”, Naela cut her off. “Explains a lot. I mean, I get studying under them. But growing up? From what I can tell, you came out alright, but I'm still sorry to hear this” The way she said it sounded genuine, as far as Irae could tell, yet it nonetheless irritated her slightly. “Don't be”, she said sharply. “The warlocks have taught me in their arts. It has been a good life so far”

Naela looked over her shoulder, flashing her a smile, as she stopped in front of a large, wooden door. “Same here”, she replied. “I mean, not the warlock part. But it has been a good life” She sighed and all of a sudden, there was a crack in her confidence. “I will pay your price”, she assured her. “Ask what you have to ask of me, but save his life, please”

A foolish promise and some of her order would have used it against her eventually. Irae wasn't like them and yet, this might be useful one day. She decided to say nothing in reply, but she would surely remember it once the time would come. A warlock's aid always came at a price and Irae knew just what she'd demand. In a way, Naela made it too easy for her. “Then I swear I will save him”, she promised wholeheartedly.

After this, Naela opened the door, revealing a dark, hot room behind. A slight stench reached her nose, the smell of disease and Naela covered her nose with her hand, as she walked through the room. Irae however took a deep breath, as much as it disgusted her. Vator Thrice-Born, the greatest healer among her order could pin down a disease by smell alone and while Irae was nowhere nearly as skilled, she could tell that she was dealing with something serious and potent.

After Naela removed the curtains, light flooded the room and the man who was revealed to lie on the bed in its centre groaned, shielding his eyes from the sudden brightness. Naela sighed. “I am sorry, father”, she spoke, as Irae got her first good look at Kareq Orlatis, the Prince of Furs. Of course, disease clearly plagued him, to the point where a clear idea of how he would look on better days was hardly possible. His sun-kissed skin was covered in sweat, his dark hair in a disarray, though even then, he had something dashing about him, from the way the dark locks fell to his shoulders or the thin moustache. But he wasn't in good shape. In fact, she had seen corpses looking better than him.

“Naela...”, he mumbled weakly and she smiled, concern on her face, as she grabbed his outstretched hand. His eyes scanned around, finding her as he reciprocated her smile, but his expression hardening as he noticed Irae. “Warlock...”, he added and now, there was a coldness in his voice, a reaction Irae was used to just too well.

“The warlocks can help”, Naela promised and Irae nodded. “The order gave me medicine for you”, she replied. “Let me have a look at you” Kareq hesitated for a moment, his alarmed gaze hitting Naela. “You brought the warlocks into this”, he pressed through his teeth. “You know it will cost you”

The girl smiled. “A price I am willing to pay”, she said and Kareq's expression made it clear that he wasn't convinced, that Naela indeed had no real idea what she was talking about. Despair drove her actions, Irae could clearly see it. And in her mind, she silently prayed to whatever god was willing to listen that she would forgive her once the price was due to be collected. “It is your choice”, she spoke to Kareq. “I already made the way, the medicine is ready. Take it and once you have recovered, we will discuss the details of how we are to be repaid”

A pleading look appeared in Kareq's eyes. “I will pay your price”, he spoke. “Just leave her out of it” To this, Irae raised an eyebrow. “She was the one who contacted us”, she told him. “But as I said, this is to be discussed another time. Your health is the most urgent matter. Do you accept the help I offer?”

“Naela, what have you done?”, Kareq spoke, his voice mixing pride with disappointment. “I could have... I would have...” He paused to regain his breath and Naela shook her head, blinking and wiping away the tears that had gathered in the corners of her eyes. “If you could see yourself right now...”, she said. “I fear for your life, father. I see how you wither away and if there is a price to pay, then I will do it” She gave Irae a sharp glance. “And trust me, warlock, I know I won't like what you demand. Doesn't matter though. There's more important things to me than my life”

Genuinely impressed by her steely determination, Irae smiled thinly and it wasn't meant to unsettle her. Her life was indeed the price, yet perhaps she didn't need all of it. A few months, to please the Blood Witch, to buy the warlocks time to deal with their enemies. And if the girl would survive, Irae would personally lead her back to Qarth, to the waiting arms of her cured father. Finally, Irae looked at Kareq. “Your daughter loves you”, she spoke. “Don't throw away the chance she has given to you. Accept my help, Kareq Orlatis, and live for her”

With a sigh, Kareq nodded, weakly. “I do”, he mumbled and it was all Irae needed to hear. She smiled at Naela and to her surprise, the girl smiled back. Under her watchful gaze, the warlock approached the merchant, placing a hand on his forehead. No magic was required to deduce that he was running a fever. But the cause of it remained to be specified and for this, Irae had to use her powers...

With her hand still on his forehead, Irae closed her eyes and breathed out calmly, mumbling a word and suddenly, the world grew silent. Gone was the heavy, irregular breathing of Kareq, Naela's occasional worried sigh, the lively sounds of Qarth on the outside. There was just Irae, facing darkness all around her, and Kareq Orlatis, lying on the pitch black ground.

In the darkness, he was the only source of light, yet it was a weak one. Left untreated, she had no doubt the illness would claim his life and this felt her with some relief. At least Naela hadn't contacted them for nothing. At least she wouldn't pay the price in vain. This did ease the warlock's conscience a bit.

Kareq's veins were glowing in a sickly purple. She had seen this before and knew what it meant. Poison, it was, not an illness, not an infection. In the colour and the way it spread across his body, someone more skilled could have deduced the alchemist who brewed it and if she'd invest more time, risk herself to more exhaustion as she tapped into the warlock's arts, she could surely find out as well. But that was beyond the point. That was not her task to deal with. She had her answers, all but one. What was missing was just how strong the poison was.

And yet, Irae already felt her grip around Kareq fading. This procedure, it wasn't something she could hold up for long. Even the masters of her order couldn't keep it up for much longer, though they would have fully grasped the nature of his ailment in a single glance. But Irae wasn't sure how potent Kareq's poison was. Whomever created it had taken some measures to hide this piece of information from her view. It was in this moment, that she realized she was running out of time.

As she took her first breath since closing her eyes, she lost her connection to Kareq. The world returned in full force and it was something she'd never get used to. Gasping and stumbling for a moment, it was Naela who rushed around the bed to support her. “What happened?”, she asked sternly and Irae took a moment to regain her calm composure.

“Your father has been poisoned”, she stated and Naela exchanged a worried look with her barely conscious father. “The Tourmaline Brotherhood”, the merchant mumbled and his daughter's gaze hardened. “Or the Spice King”, she hissed.

Irae remained silent, not mentioning what else she had seen, or better yet, what she hadn't seen. The girl was close to freaking out, her father already weakened. She would spare them further concern, for it would amount to nothing. At least they should trust in her. With confidence in her gaze, she stared at Naela until the girl averted her eyes first.

“I know what to do”, she said, but it wasn't quite the truth. Moros had given her medicine to cure diseases and antidotes to cure poison. Yet not every antidote could be used for every situation. It all depended on that one crucial piece of information the alchemist had hidden from her so successfully.

A weak antidote would suffice in most cases. It'd push the poison out of his body, repairing the damage done, yet it'd work slowly, carefully and if the poison was not as weak as she hoped it to be, it would not suffice. He'd feel better for a few days, before withering away, succumbing to a poison he'd thought gone.

A stronger antidote would do the same but by force. For days, he'd be more sick than ever before, as the antidote would fight even the strongest poison the alchemists of Qarth were able to brew. If the poison would fight back, they'd eventually cancel each other out, leaving Kareq a cured man. If not, if the poison was weaker than she feared, then it would be the very antidote meant to cure him that would eventually claim his life.

With slight uncertainty, she was looking at the two vials. She had no doubt that one would cure him, but choosing the wrong one could just as easily claim the very life she was meant to save. A wave of nervousness finally reached her, though she didn't allow this to affect her outwardly calm composure. Deep down, her heart was beating furiously though, as she thought about which antidote she should give him.

[Give him the weak antidote] [Give him the strong antidote]

• [Give him the strong antidote]

I am deeply sorry for once again having to change my plans, though this shouldn't be much of a surprise by now. Irae's part just grew and gr

• Man, you just can't seem to give Sadie a break can you? Second time in a row her part has been pushed back and if I'm not mistaken I think this is supposed to be her first part in this chapter. Hope you won't be forced to delay it again next time.
    Anyway my vote is [Give him the weak antidote].

I am deeply sorry for once again having to change my plans, though this shouldn't be much of a surprise by now. Irae's part just grew and gr

• edited May 2018

Hmm, there are a few things to consider with this choice. Since we don't know if the poison is weak or strong, choosing the antidote based on that will be entirely based on luck, both options having an equal chance of ending badly for Kareq. However, if we instead look at this from the perspective of what is more beneficial for Irae's mission, I think the weak antidote is the way to go. It'll make Kareq feel better, even if only temporarily, gaining us the trust of Naela. Sure, the poison could turn out to be strong and Kareq will die after few days, but even that is better than the potential scenario of the strong antidote making him suffer first and then killing him... I'm pretty sure at that point we'd have to force Naela to leave with us, which is definitely not how I want this to go. So, my choice is [Give him the weak antidote].

Anyway, I'm really digging this storyline so far. I love how fast you've managed to make me care about these characters, and be immersed with this situation that is (for now) so far removed from the rest of the story =) Truly, I'd be willing to read a story just about these characters, which is definitely a good sign for the storyline :) Of course, I imagine I'll be even more excited when this thread eventually ties together with the main narrative.

• [Give him the strong antidote] We just lie if he dies and say that the poison had no cure. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Actually, I want him to die because we need Irae to be evil. More morally ambigious/villainous POVs!

• Man, you just can't seem to give Sadie a break can you? Second time in a row her part has been pushed back and if I'm not mistaken I think this is supposed to be her first part in this chapter. Hope you won't be forced to delay it again next time.

Aye, at this point it feels like she's the most suffering PoV character not only from an in-story perspective, but out of story as well and I feel actually quite guilty for this. As such, I will give her as much space as needed in the next part. She already had a part in this chapter though, a few weeks ago, where she arrived in Castamere together with Leo Hill, Rhogarn Snow, Aklen Pentas and Wylie and this next part will detail her meeting with the Reyne's, who reappear in the story for the first time in three years. But yeah, I am putting my hopes into the events that are happening for her later in Book 2, because some pretty memorable scenes should come out of her storyline to make up for it.

Man, you just can't seem to give Sadie a break can you? Second time in a row her part has been pushed back and if I'm not mistaken I think t

• Anyway, I'm really digging this storyline so far. I love how fast you've managed to make me care about these characters, and be immersed with this situation that is (for now) so far removed from the rest of the story =) Truly, I'd be willing to read a story just about these characters, which is definitely a good sign for the storyline :) Of course, I imagine I'll be even more excited when this thread eventually ties together with the main narrative.

Ah, I am so glad to hear this! It's literally the best I could have ever hoped for with a storyline as new as this one. I was a bit worried, because there is no storyline further removed from the main plot than Irae's (even Sadie is about to get some pretty strong ties relatively soon), given that she is half a continent apart from the nearest PoV. Her ties will be something that won't be apparent until the later chapters, but I hope I can keep up the excitement for her until then. One thing I am really pleased about is that you already care for the characters. It makes me quite hopeful for some future storylines.

Hmm, there are a few things to consider with this choice. Since we don't know if the poison is weak or strong, choosing the antidote based o

• We just lie if he dies and say that the poison had no cure. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Ah, keep in mind, the strong antidote might as well be the way to cure him, if he is suffering from a strong poison. So, if you want him to die, things won't be all that clear. The weak one could just as well kill him, albeit it will be a relatively gentle death where he doesn't have to suffer.

Actually, I want him to die because we need Irae to be evil. More morally ambigious/villainous POVs!

Morally ambiguous in Irae's case. I think this even fits. She is willing to do some pretty dark things to succeed at her mission, such as her manipulation of Naela, albeit it should be said that she does it simply because she sees no other solution (and there might literally not be another one at this very moment) and doesn't take any pleasure in it. I'd say she definitely isn't in danger of becoming a villain anytime soon, but she is definitely the most morally ambiguous PoV the story had since the deaths of Torvin and Marak.

[Give him the strong antidote] We just lie if he dies and say that the poison had no cure. Easy peazy lemon squeezy. Actually, I want him to die because we need Irae to be evil. More morally ambigious/villainous POVs!

• [Give him the weak antidote]

Fingers crossed. I don't want the dude to die, he seems relatively nice. On a side note, I know it's been said a lot, but I'm really digging Irae's storyline. It is so different from the rest, and in a very good way too. With Irae, I feel like we are exploring territory not yet fleshed out in the asioaf universe which is always refreshing.

• [Give him the strong antidote] It's a risk, but if he dies while they're away and Naela returns home somehow, things will look bad for her.

A lot of things could go wrong once they meet the Blood Witch, after all the Sarnori, Qaathi and Ibbenese have all suffered greatly at the might of the Dothraki now that the dragons are gone.

• Really, I am so happy to hear this storyline is so well received! Ironically, I was a bit worried about the very aspects that you enjoy, that this unfamiliar territory would feel a bit too unusual, too far removed from the rest of the story to properly connect to it. Didn't make it any easier for myself when I chose Irae as the PoV, as she is definitely the most alien of the PoV's in terms of motivations. But it is great to hear that it worked out so well. Could have gone either way with her, but this makes me really confident for some of the stuff to come, because these aspects that make her different will certainly be explored further :)

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Give him the weak antidote] Fingers crossed. I don't want the dude to die, he seems relatively nice. On a side note, I know it's been sa

• It's a risk, but if he dies while they're away and Naela returns home somehow, things will look bad for her.

This is certainly true. While Naela doesn't place as much importance to it, there's not only her father's life at stake, but her future as his heiress. She is young and utterly unprepared, with cunning and experienced rivals all around. The Spice King was mentioned here, part of ruling elite of the Ancient Guild of Spicers and his interest in Naela is definitely born from her wealth. Marrying her would be one way to gain control of Kareq's business, but if he dies and she leaves Qarth, then he'd surely have no problem just taking over the entire thing by force. Same goes for the other rivals Kareq has gathered and certainly for some of his seeming friends as well. Irae isn't aware of this danger and neither is Naela in full, but it puts the entire treatment of Kareq further at risk.

A lot of things could go wrong once they meet the Blood Witch, after all the Sarnori, Qaathi and Ibbenese have all suffered greatly at the might of the Dothraki now that the dragons are gone.

And those were just the Dothraki on their own. The Blood Witch and through her the Witch Khal are something entirely unheard of since the Doom of Valyria, the combination of brutal force and powerful magic. The Dothraki on their own were a threat to huge parts of Essos and in the recent decades they have single-handedly destroyed quite a number of cities and kingdoms. The Blood Witch meanwhile had to be brought down by an alliance of some of the most powerful sorcerers in Essos during a time where magic was notably stronger than how it is right now and Moros at least speculates that she hasn't suffered the same decrease in power as he and his companions. So, Dothraki and the Blood Witch combined are certainly a force to be reckoned with and I can reveal that absolutely nothing about Irae's planned journey with Naela is without risk.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Give him the strong antidote] It's a risk, but if he dies while they're away and Naela returns home somehow, things will look bad for her.

• [Give him the strong antidote]

I guess they were not trying to kill Prince of furs with simple poison, therefore my choice for strong antidote.

I am not a big fan of Naela either, she seem a bit too cocky towards someone who is here to help her father.

• I guess they were not trying to kill Prince of furs with simple poison, therefore my choice for strong antidote.

A very likely assumption actually. After all, whomever made this poison took the extra effort to conceal its true potency, means they at least expected the warlocks to get involved. It all narrows down to wether or not they correctly predicted which antidote Irae is going to give him here. A bit of a mind game between her and the alchemist, I'd say.

I am not a big fan of Naela either, she seem a bit too cocky towards someone who is here to help her father.

Hehe, fair enough. The thing with Naela is, while she is naturally cocky, she's mostly nervous in the current situation and this is her way of dealing with it. She might be a bit too bold in her approach towards Irae, but the alternative would be to show just how afraid she is for her father's life and in the presence of a rather unsettling stranger on top of that. When it comes to Irae, she is actually somewhat intrigued by Naela's behaviour here. With her looks and position as one of the warlocks, she isn't quite used to someone just casually talking and joking around with her, even if it is partially just Naela's effort to appear more confident. So, she's actually somewhat pleased with this behaviour, as opposed to just receiving more of the usual distrust.

Mathea posted: »

[Give him the strong antidote] I guess they were not trying to kill Prince of furs with simple poison, therefore my choice for strong ant

• The Voting is closed!

Irae is going to give Kareq the weak antidote

That was a risky choice, one where I was quite curious which you'd pick, especially as it really narrows down to a bit of a gamble. At least with the weak antidote, Kareq will not suffer if you chose wrong here, but this was nonetheless an important choice that will affect Irae's storyline going forward. It has also been a very close vote, which I am pleased with, as it hopefully meant that this was as hard a choice as I wanted it to be :)

The next part will be out today. At long last, Sadie's part is basically finished, but there is room for a second PoV and I am currently deciding on wether to give it to Ysilla or Keat. Actually though, I am leaning more towards Keat, because I noticed I tend to get carried away while writing Ysilla's storyline and I rather would like to reserve her the space for a full-length part just to be on the safe side. Then again, I might not be able to resist, so we'll see :D I already told you twice that Sadie will have the next part and finally, I can say she will and we'll see her meeting with Mileena Reyne. Meanwhile, Keat and Erik Inchfield will make a little trip to one of Samuel Puffer's hideouts, where Keat hopes to find him and his siblings. Should I decide to give Ysilla the next part, we will see how the family dinner between the Allyrion family goes, but as said, I have a feeling I should grant a full-length part to that one, so expect Keat more than her for the very next part. I will finish my writing today, late today, that I am certain of.

• Sadie

Looking over the courtyard, Sadie's gaze rested on the doors that led into the Great Hall of Castamere, then she glanced at Leo. “I'm with you”, she said and the sellsword smiled slightly beneath his thick beard. “Very well”, he spoke, before he turned towards Two-Face. “I suppose this won't be a problem?”

The disfigured man shook his head. “Frankly, I couldn't care less”, he admitted. “Though be prepared for tough negotiations. Your cousin is in there and he doesn't seem to be too happy to take your people in” Leo grinned and shrugged. “Fuck him then”, he replied. “If Tythan wants to make this personal, he can bloody well eat my ass”

Two-Face smirked at this, while Leo looked at Rhogarn. “I suppose this is not a problem?”, he asked and the other sellsword shook his head. “I gladly take the day off”, he replied firmly. “Besides, I don't think I can add much to a discussion. Let me lead a formation into battle, aye, but politics? Fuck those”

Meanwhile, Wylie gave Sadie a concerned look. “Are you sure you want to do this?”, he asked, but before Sadie could assure him that yes, she was absolutely certain, Aklen intervened. With a wide, audacious grin, he patted the healer onto the back, hard enough for Wylie to cough. “I don't think you have to hold her hand, old man”, he chuckled and both, Sadie and Wylie exchanged a stern, annoyed look.

“Though his choice of words might have been as expected, if Aklen is right, I would welcome this”, Wylie admitted after a moment and now, Sadie managed to give him a brief, thin smile. “Don't worry”, she told him. “What is the worst that could possibly happen?” She glanced at Leo. “There... is going to be dinner, right? Seven, I'm starving”

Leo smiled widely at her comment. “If Lady Reyne is any good, I bet there will”, he assured her, as he began to walk up the stairs that led towards the mountain and into the deeper castle of Castamere. Sadie glanced at Wylie, who seemed reassured, before leaving him with Rhogarn and Aklen.

Walking up the stairs, she was joined by Two-Face, both of them walking behind Leo, who seemed to know the way. Slightly narrowing her eyes, she noticed how the man was looking at her and she shot him a brief glare. “What?”, she hissed and he shrugged. “Surprised to see you here, cripple girl”, he admitted, to which she sighed coldly. “You think I'm that afraid of you and your ugly mug?”, she growled.

For a moment, Two-Face seemed surprised at her reply, the burned flesh above his eye shivering slightly. “I am surprised you're alive at all”, he admitted. “Back in Maybros, you seemed more dead than alive. You were withering away” Sadie frowned, as she pulled her cloak over her right arm. “I'm not the withering type”, she hissed. “Stallhart couldn't kill me, so don't assume you scare me”

Two-Face's scarred upper lip formed a sneer. “We'll see about that once you have settled in here”, he replied calmly, though she tried her best to ignore him. As they came closer, the massive doors that led into the deeper castle were opened from the inside and behind, Sadie saw one of the most impressive sights she had ever seen.

The Great Hall of Castamere was a long room, large enough for a thousand people with ease. Floor and walls consisted of white marble, yet between the joints, she spotted traces of silver, the very silver Castamere was known fore. Silver and red were the colours on the tapestries, with a long, blood red carpet leading all the way from the doors to the back of the Great Hall, where the lord's table was located.

Counting quickly, Sadie realized that two dozen guards were present in the room, a dozen located on each side of the hall, armed with halberds and clad in steel. With just her and Leo present, it did feel intimidating, admittedly. And on the far side of the hall, Sadie spotted several people sitting at the lord's table.

As she came closer, she recognized Tythan Lannister. Leo's cousin had left the camp a few days ago, following a particularly vicious argument with the sellsword and the cold look with which he greeted them told her it was anything but forgiven. He sat next to a woman in her late thirties, a bit on the heavy side, yet shapely and beautiful, with golden blonde hair, dressed in red and silver. She had a charming smile on her face, though Sadie knew the expression in her eyes, subtly scanning the two sellswords that were approaching her.

Next to the woman, who undoubtedly was Lady Mileena Reyne, sat two children. One was almost a young woman, a tall, lanky girl, looking a lot like her mother, though the look on her face was not the slightest bit confident and actually rather scared, as she couldn't take her eyes off the admittedly intimidating Leo. Finally, a boy, similarly tall and skinny, yet with dark hair and a calm, observant look in his eyes. While clearly sporting features similarly to Mileena and his sister, he interestingly wore red and golden, the colours of House Lannister.

“Mylady”, Two-Face roared as they approached. “As you have requested, the sellsword Leonard Hill” Leo did not reciprocate Lady Mileena's kind smile, instead he settled for a stern nod. “Lady Mileena”, he spoke. “Thank you for welcoming me in your hall” He glanced at Sadie, as if he just remembered her presence. “Ah, this is Sadie. She's part of my sellswords, my second for these negotiations”

Mileena gave her a kind smile as well, though Sadie couldn't help but notice the intelligence that was lying beneath this friendly demeanour. She wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating this woman and she hoped neither would Leo. “A pleasure”, she said. “And my warmest welcome to both of you. I hope your journey was without peril”

Now, Leo allowed himself a thin and utterly cold smile. “If you don't count the town that burned down because Lord Turnberry failed his duties” If Mileena was angered by his accusation, she did not show it. “Paxter Turnberry is one of my husbands most faithful vassals”, she replied firmly. “Admittedly, he is not known for his decisiveness, but I doubt he had bad intentions”

“Two hundred people died”, Leo replied calmly, as he reached the table. On Mileena's sign, he pulled back a chair for Sadie, which she gratefully accepted. The girl, Mileena's daughter, just stared at her all the time, while Leo sat down as well. “The same number decided to leave their homes, because obviously, Lord Turnberry failed them. They don't feel safe anymore”

Mileena's smile faded and Sadie spotted genuine compassion in her eyes. She knew, Leo had nothing good to say about those of high birth, but perhaps Mileena was different. The woman glanced at her daughter, then at her son. “And I want to grant them this safety”, she promised, to Leo's visible surprise and relief.

“What?”, he asked. “Just... like that?” For a moment, he lost his collected composure, his voice oozing distrust. Mileena smirked. “Just like that”, she told him. “I know how it feels to fear for the ones you love, Ser. My husband is out in the field. My firstborn is on a mission for King Loren himself. I know how it feels to pray for their safety. You won't need any long negotiations with me, there's lives at stake”

Leo narrowed his eyes and Sadie saw how hard it was for him to accept Mileena's kind gesture. “Then why all this?”, he asked. “Why calling for me and my men first? Why won't you just let the people of Maybros into your castle already?”

As he said this, the Lady of Castamere exchanged a glance with Tythan Lannister. The knight gave his cousin a sharp glance. “This is not about them”, he spoke. “I advised Lady Mileena in this matter and we both agreed to take them in as soon as possible”

“How awfully nice of you”, Leo growled. “What's your deal, cousin? You've never done anything out of the kindness of your heart before” Tythan raised an eyebrow. “You'd be surprised, Hill”, he hissed. “But as I said, this is not about them. It's about you and your pack” He said this last word with venom and Sadie frowned.

Mileena gulped, as she tried to defuse the situation with a smile, though Leo's expression did not soften. “What about them?”, he hissed, to which the lady cleared her throat. “Let me be clear, you are my guest for now. However, Tythan has brought up some... concerns, regarding your trustworthiness”

“Trustworthiness?”, Leo growled and Mileena nodded, a bit sheepishly. In her stead, Tythan spoke up. “You hate us, cousin. Me, Mileena, her children, for being born higher. You hate us, because you will never truly belong. Do you truly think I can advice Mileena to let a hundred armed sellswords, loyal only to you, through her gates?”, he explained. “How did you think this would end?”

Leo opened his mouth, then closed it again, notably baffled. “You would throw me out after what I did to safe these people?”, he asked. “Lady Mileena, Tythan speaks with the same hatred he and his always had for me. I implore you, do not listen to him”

“That I cannot deny”, Mileena admitted. “Tythan seems to be personally involved in this. However, word of your opinion on highborn has reached my ear before. I must admit, I am concerned about the presence of your sellswords, though I didn't think you would care for that. After all, why would you stay here to begin with?”

“Because I have a duty to the people of Maybros”, Leo said calmly. “I see for their save arrival here, but once the town of Maybros has been rebuilt, I want to escort them back to their homes” He seemed genuine in this and Mileena nodded. “A noble endeavour, if you tell me the truth here”, she spoke. “Is this all you can bring up in your favour?”

As soon as she had said this, Leo briefly, perhaps involuntarily, glanced at Sadie and she tensed up. Yes, there might be a thing or two she could say in his favour. Actually, there was a lot of it. Leo had been nothing but kind to her. She was without any worth to his company and the mere thought was tearing her apart and yet, Leo's support was perhaps one of the few things that kept her going. All things considered, there were a lot of things she could bring up in his favour. But was it her place to speak? Would it be better to leave it all to him?

[Speak up in Leo's favour] [Leave the talking to him]

Keat

“Pretty far out, your friend”, Erik mumbled and Keat shrugged. “Samuel is a careful man”, he replied. “Never liked to stay in the same place for too long. Oldtown's perfect for one like him then” They were walking through one of the more rundown parts of the town by now, the narrow streets home to rats, living in the waste. That being said, Keat felt almost safe as he walked down here, with his own personal sellsword by his side. It did feel good, admittedly. And then there was the fact that the Solver's had been all but disbanded by now. The worst part of Oldtown was gone and perhaps, in time even a place as shitty as this one could recover.

Erik frowned as he stepped into some of the most shitty things Oldtown had to offer, quite literally so. “Fuck me, those were new boots”, he mumbled and Keat raised an eyebrow. “Hishi's paying well?”, he asked and the sellsword, though frowning, gave him a nod. “Quite well”, he admitted. “Certainly better than the Burned Man. All that man had eyes for were those kids he spoiled with his gifts. Never saw the value of a good blade”

“And yet you remained loyal to him”, Keat said, remembering what little Lanford had told him earlier. “Killed a man for him for all I know” Erik shrugged. “Fucker wanted to defect to Butterfly”, he spoke. “There's many things I'd do for coin, but anyone needs standards. Turns out, those butchers just don't meet mine” He sighed. “Though the Burned Man's bitch and her bastard, they didn't thank me for it one damn bit. Cheated me out of a pretty nice sum of coin”, he complained. “I'd be a rich man by now if they would have kept their end of the bargain”

With a smile, Keat thought back at his last bargain. Apparently Ambassador Iresons was a more reliable contractor than Erik's last and he was honestly glad he had been able to help her in return. For a brief moment, he had to wonder what happened to her, but then, he looked back at Erik. “What would a man like you do with such riches either way?”, he asked.

Erik narrowed his eyes. “Excuse me?”, he asked in return, though Keat was quick to defuse the situation with a charming grin. “I mean, you don't seem to be a simple man. The kind to settle down and grow fat”, he explained, to which Erik's expression softened. “I would have bought myself one of those valyrian swords”, he spoke and for a moment, there was something yearning in his eyes. “The best damn steel in the known world. Forged in a dragon's fire and woven with spells, capable of cutting through ordinary swords like a hot knife through butter”

“That... doesn't sound cheap”, Keat admitted and Erik shook his head. “Not at all!”, he said. “I'd have to buy it from the Free Cities, or from some rundown noble house here in Westeros. But with the right sword, I could carve my own legacy. It all narrows down to the weaponry you have with you”

Keat raised an eyebrow. “I... doubt that”, he brought up, but Erik was obviously not finished and he cut him off. “Or one of the Summer Islander bows”, he continued. “They don't even sell them to outsiders, but you can find everything here in Oldtown if you bribe the right person” He shrugged. “Maybe both. The best sword in the known world and the best bow”

As aloof as he usually seemed, the moment he began talking about weaponry, there was some genuine excitement in his voice and Keat found it as odd as he found it amusing. Well, they all had their own little flaws. Erik was just the first man he ever met who was able to get that excited about something as simple as weaponry. But then again, Keat himself wasn't a fighter. A simple knife was all he needed, something to cut purses rather than throats.

That being said, he felt a bit of relief as he entered the narrow alleyway that would lead to Erik's hideout. It was the third they checked today, perhaps not the last, but one of Keat's strongest bets. Samuel was in the city and his siblings would be with him. As such, there was nothing he wouldn't do, no stone he'd leave unturned to find them. It was a blessing that he knew each and every single one of Samuel's hideouts. Some had even been his not too long ago.

Slowly, he walked through the dark street, feeling glad that he had taken the sellsword with him. With confidence, he approached a door and by now, Erik had stopped talking about weapons, thankfully. Instead, he had put a hand onto his sword, cautiously glancing around, as Keat simply knocked at the door.

There was no reply. The thief waited for a moment, then another one, before he sighed, placing a hand on the doorknob. Of course, it was locked, but the common door in Oldtown was no match for him. With a subtle smirk, he reached into his coat, revealing a set of picklocks. “Stand back and learn, Inchfield”, he spoke. “Those are my weapons”

The sellsword glanced at him doing his work. “Eh, I can see why Hishi hired you”, he admitted. “Or why you replaced our first choice at least. Looks complicated” Keat shook his head, as the door already sprung open, mere moments after he had started picking the lock. “Piece of cake”, he boasted. “Now, allow me to see if...”

He did not get any further. Just as he had finished this sentence, a fist came through the darkness beneath the door, hitting him straight in the face and causing him to stumble backwards. With temporarily numbed senses, he noticed Erik drawing his sword, muttering a curse, as he took a swing at the assailant. The man himself took a step back into the darkness, only to jump forwards the moment Erik's sword had passed him, now holding a long knife in his hand.

Parrying the first strike, Erik stepped back to avoid the second cut and their blades locked by the third, both men pressing against the other. “Who the hell are you?”, the attacker growled and a grin flashed over Keat's face. “Easy there, Sam!”, he assured him, noticing the surprise on Samuel's face. “Keat?”, he asked and the thief chuckled, though it reminded him of the pain in his ear and now, after Samuel's punch, his nose. “In the flesh”, he replied. “Good to see you, Puffer. It's been a while”

Samuel Puffer straightened his back removing a strand of dark brown hair from his pale face. “Never thought I'd see you again”, he said, as he lowered his sword. Nervously looking from one man to the other, Erik eventually followed his example. “That is your friend?”, he asked and Samuel glanced at the man. “And who is that?”, he asked sharply.

Keat sighed, still failing to suppress a smile. “That is a long story”, he spoke, as he spread his arms. Samuel finally gave him a thin smile, as the two friends hugged. Patting him onto the back, Keat separated first. “And Seven Hells, it is good to be back!”, he proclaimed. “Say, where are my siblings?”

To this, Samuel looked behind him. “I've had an eye on them, as you asked me to”, he assured him, before he turned to the side. In the darkness behind him, a door got opened and through it, the dim light of a candle illuminated the room and the street. And Keat quickly pushed past his friend as he noticed who held it.

“Nalia!”, he exclaimed and his little sister looked at him with wide eyes. She was small, even for her young age of just eight years, with long, brown hair and pale skin. And in this moment, she would have nearly dropped the candle she was holding. “Keat!”, she cried, as she rushed towards him. As the thief hugged his little sister, he just barely avoided setting his cloak ablaze as the light of the candle nearly touched it.

“Oh gods...”, the girl mumbled, still staring at him. “What... when did you return?” He smiled at her. “Recently”, he spoke. “But I can assure you, this time I mean to stay” He placed his hands on her shoulders and gave her a brief kiss onto the forehead. “You've grown, little sister” To this, she rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sure”, she mumbled, before she cracked a wide smile. “I thought you'd never come back”

“Not all of you did”, another voice sounded from behind her. Keat looked up, sawing his younger brother entering the room. Adian had grown into a man during the months where Keat had been away. Fifteen years old, he was tall for his age, lanky, but good-looking, with the beginnings of a stubble beard. He had his arms crossed and instead of Nalia's hug, he only had a firm nod for his brother, a gesture Keat reciprocated, if only because he knew, after their latest argument and him being gone for so long, some time might be needed to regain Adian's trust. It felt odd, being close to his brother again, but he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. “What happened to your ear?”, Adian asked.

To this, Keat smirked in a crooked, slightly embarrassed way, as Nalia seemed to notice it for the first time since their reunion. She gasped, jumping a step back and he bit down onto his lower lip. “I, uh, ran into trouble”, he stated and Adian raised an eyebrow. “So you come to say goodbye before you go hiding again for the next couple of months?”, he hissed.

Instantly, Keat shook his head. “No”, he assured him. “No, this time I'll face it. I've got help, after all” He looked around, to where Samuel and Erik entered the room, with the former closing the door the moment all were inside. “Yeah, I can see that”, he spoke. “Your own personal thug?”

“Hishi's”, Erik corrected him and Samuel narrowed his eyes. “Keat, what the hell have you gotten yourself into again?”, he hissed and Keat gulped, noticing the stern look in his friend's eyes. “Ah, well... where should I start...” He stuttered and for good reason. As he noticed the cold look in Samuel's face, he hesitated and doubt entered his mind. He had come to reunite with his siblings and his oldest and perhaps only true friend. And there was a lot to talk about, between him, his siblings and Samuel. But what he wasn't so sure about was if he should involve Samuel in the heist itself, by telling him all about it. That'd probably be a point of no return. And all of a sudden, he wasn't so certain anymore if he wanted to drag someone he actually cared about into this.

[Tell Samuel about the heist] [Keep him out of it]

• [Leave the talking to him]
    Fuck Leonard Hill, we don't need another Leonard in the story.

[Tell Samuel about the heist]
    Let's bring him into the fold, what are friends for, right?

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited May 2018

[Leave the talking to him] I was actually going to vote the other way, then I saw Gnu's comment. He's right. Fake Leonard must suffer.

[Keep him out of it] Yeah, let's not. We'll be fineeeeee.

For a moment, Two-Face seemed surprised at her reply, the burned flesh above his eye shivering slightly.

I keep thinking about Batman now, damnit.

Sadie Looking over the courtyard, Sadie's gaze rested on the doors that led into the Great Hall of Castamere, then she glanced at Leo. “I

Sign in to comment in this discussion.