Lets talk about QTE... FAN FEEDBACK

Cause they are not relevant anymore. Sometimes in Batman you can miss all the qte and the whole scene still plays out. That completely destroys the purpose of having a qte there. Not to mention most qte are super easy to get right. The director of Batman the Enemy Within said he makes the qte easy on purpose but I really don't think thats the best approach of handling them in a game. Yesterday I was playing Detroit: Become Human. I was in a chase scene with Connor and the qts were sometimes really difficult to get right.
Thats what I want in Telltale games aswell. Make qte not boring but exciting. Nobody wants to press a button that pops on a screen just for the sake of pressing that button. (I'm talking about exciting scenes like fight scenes) And yea, you can fail then but they are so easy you will almost never fail them.

Whats also a pain in the ass sometimes is how I have to restart a whole dialogue heavy scene when I fail one qte. Its super frustrating. Its also different then Game Overs in other game genres. For example, in Mario Bros when you die you have to restart a level. Thats still frustrating but the gameplay is fun so that makes it less bad. If I get a game over scene in a Telltale game I feel so bored while waiting for the scene to play out. Its like rewatching a scene from a movie. And I'm mostly talking about qte after dialogue scenes. Not qte in whole fight scenes. Those are less frustrating to faill.

Now, these problems only occur in modern Telltale games. From the old games I think qte are the best in the TWAU. They were fun and weren't boring.

So to summarize my complaints, qte have to be harder in future Telltale Games.
Telltale should put a timer on the qte. To make us more invested and afraid to lose a character in a fight scene. If you make the qte harder, then the Game Over problem is going to get bigger. I have a few questions below about things that mostly replace and fixes those Game Over problems:

1. Should you lose a character if you fail a qte?
  2. Should a different scene play out if you fail a qte?
  3. Should Telltale get rid of the Game Over scenes?
  4. Should Telltale add a timer to the Qte?

I really hope this feedback is going to be taken seriously. Mostlypoptarts, please bring this feedback to the Walking Dead team. I think its important.

From what I've seen, The final season is going to be innovative gameplay wise so that does give me a little hope. I think Telltale shouldn't make qte irrelevant to focus more on story telling cause they still are an important part of a Telltale game. And its something games like Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn and even Uncharted are doing really well and far better. Telltale can learn from them.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2018

Before I start making suggestions I wanted to say that I actually enjoy some of the QTE’s in S1 and S2, and some of my suggestions have actually already been used (but rarely and mostly in S1). Personally I think that the best way to fix the “QTE Problem” is to make these segments actually feel important. Because when the stakes of failing a QTE segment is simply a “You Died” screen, it definitely breaks the immersion of being in a fight for your life moment. So these are a few of my suggestions to possibly fix QTE segments in a realistic way.

1. Completely remove the “You Died” screen and replace them with mechanics I’m about to list below.
    2. Failing certain QTEs can result in noticeable physical changes/damage to the playable character and other characters depending on the situation. Example: you failed to block someone punching you and now you have a bruise on your face.
    3. Failing at some point in some QTEs will change the scenario. Example: you failed to stab the walker approaching you in time so now you must struggle to get him off of you.
    4. Failing some QTEs may result in lost equipment/items. Example: you weren’t able to pull the axe out of the walkers head in time resulting in you loosing your axe.
    5. QTEs will constantly throw in new gameplay actions that blend well with the situations to constantly throw of the player and make these segments hectic and entertaining.
    6. Make some QTEs tie into your relationships with other characters, like how in season one episode 2 Kenny of Lily will save you from Danny depending on your relationships with the characters. Or have QTEs that make you choose who to help and will not resolve in determinant death, but instead their relationship towards you.
    7. In VERY few QTEs, like probably only one, have a character die determinantly if you fail.

The thing about QTEs is if you make a few of them actually change the situation/story then the player will constantly be worried if the next QTE will actually affect the game even if most of the QTE segments don’t.

• edited June 2018

Failing certain QTEs can result in noticeable physical changes/damage to the playable character and other characters depending on the situation. Example: you failed to block someone punching you and now you have a bruise on your face.
    Failing at some point in some QTEs will change the scenario. Example: you failed to stab the walker approaching you in time so now you must struggle to get him off of you.
    Failing some QTEs may result in lost equipment/items. Example: you weren’t able to pull the axe out of the walkers head in time resulting in you loosing your axe.
    QTEs will constantly throw in new gameplay actions that blend well with the situations to constantly through of the player and make these segments hectic and entertaining.
    Make some QTEs tie into your relationships with other characters, like how in season one episode 2 Kenny of Lily will save you from Danny depending on your relationships with the characters. Or have QTEs that make you choose who to help and will not resolve in determinant death, but instead their relationship towards you.

I agree with all of the points you have mentioned.
    An idea I had is item/ammo management. For example lets say Clementine has 12 bullets for her pistol. She finds herself surrounded by 3 or 4 walkers that are slowly approaching her and she must kill them before they reach her. If you used up all of your bullets while trying to fend off the walkers then Clementine will then have to use a knife/axe/hatchet to fight off the rest of them. You will be unable to use your pistol unless you have Clementine explore the area(s) and find more ammunition. I think this would be interesting to see as it would apply pressure to players and make them use their ammunition wisely and not go all trigger-happy.

I know the idea I mentioned above is very unlikely to happen but I think it would be quite cool to have in The Final Season

Before I start making suggestions I wanted to say that I actually enjoy some of the QTE’s in S1 and S2, and some of my suggestions have actu

• I agree with Wizard on every suggestion except 6. To answer the questions asked:

1. Should you lose a character if you fail a qte? Maybe. The thing is, Telltale games being primarily choice based makes it more accessible to players with disabilities. QTEs, though, require button mashing in most cases, which is something that's not necessarily doable, even if you are physically not impaired.
    2. Should a different scene play out if you fail a qte? Yes.
    3. Should Telltale get rid of the Game Over scenes? Nooo.
    4. Should Telltale add a timer to the Qte? Don't they already?

Personally, if any company keeps QTEs, it should be innovative, not repetitive. I'd prefer it be swapped out for a better mechanic, though.

• There is indeed a limited time to press the button for the qte, but in games like Until Dawn you have only 1 second to press the button. You have to press the button faster then in a Telltale game.

I agree with Wizard on every suggestion except 6. To answer the questions asked: * Should you lose a character if you fail a qte? Maybe

• One thing to consider regarding QTEs is that Telltale's central audience is for everyone. so making QTEs that can end up getting someone killed might be frustrating for someone unfamiliar with a control scheme or doesn't have fast reflexes. They could remedy this somehow I'm sure but, its all about the choices you make and not how well you are able to play the game. It would be cool if they went back to a trend of different paths being taken if you did screw up or chose where to attack someone, which I think was a nice return with Batman Season 2.

• edited June 2018

Then simply have two modes like “experienced” and “casual”.

One thing to consider regarding QTEs is that Telltale's central audience is for everyone. so making QTEs that can end up getting someone kil

Sign in to comment in this discussion.