The Better Survivor: Molly vs Jane

Who do you think is the better survivor and why?

Comments

• edited June 2018

I feel like they are both good in different ways. In terms of combat and athleticism it certainly goes to Molly. Jane knows about the walker guts trick which Molly seemingly doesn't know about. Molly seems to rely on scavenging for supplies and sticking to buildings while Jane seems to be able to survive in the wilderness just fine. Overall, I would say they are roughly even. I would say Jane has a slight edge in terms of survival skills and Molly has an edge when it comes to combat and athleticism.

Development wise I prefer Jane. Molly is a great and interesting character but she doesn't have much development because she has already been through most of her character evolution. Right from the start Molly is already the ideal lone wolf character and the way she is when you meet her is basically the same she is as she leaves.

Jane is a much more flawed character but that is why I prefer her development. After living in the apocalypse and being exposed to many groups who have fallen apart she has adopted a lone wolf and “survival of the fittest” mindset. She is willing to do whatever it takes to survive and avoids getting too attached to others. She initially comes across as a one-dimensional hard ass but there is a lot more depth and complexity to her than initially meets the eye. Jane doesn’t start out as that great of a person but over the course of episodes 4 and 5 you see that she is attempting to change because she has grown to care about Clementine. Jane’s arc showed a lot more growth and development than Molly’s arc.

• Eh, I'd say Molly takes the spot on a glance.

• Well she does have a chance of actually still being alive...but hang in there Jane!

DabigRG posted: »

Eh, I'd say Molly takes the spot on a glance.

• edited June 2018

That is the literal meaning of that type of statement, yes. :lol:
    EDIT: I just caught that last part...

Well she does have a chance of actually still being alive...but hang in there Jane!

• MOLLY

She’s original character at least

• Jane. She was not nearly as annoying as Molly.

• Considering Molly didn't kill herself, I think she wins by default.

• I'd rate Molly as a better survivor.

• She has a solid skill set, and was able to survive in a populated city-scape for quite some time which is in itself a feat.
    • Mentally, she was capable of persevering through trauma and loss without ending her own life. ( Which I will agree with any Jane promoters as that didn't fit her personality either, alas it's in game. )
    • She functions in a group of survivors and on her own whereas Jane's mental health has dependency issues.
    • Her backstory is more detailed and fleshed out.

All that said, she's not among my favorite set of survivors, and I'm not sure what else they could explore in her story in the current setting. Christa, if she survived S2, would have more to offer as to adding to where she's been, as well as some questions the fans have held since S2. Jane, for me at least, was a less successful attempt to create the rivalry of Kenny vs Lily. Of all of the unknown female survivors, Lily remains my personal favorite as far as complexity, development, and survival skills.

• Her backstory is more detailed and fleshed out.

Eeeh...is it?
    Like, not really challenging or even doubting your statement there, but I kinda get the sense that it's roughly the same in a way.

Jane, for me at least, was a less successful attempt to create the rivalry of Kenny vs Lily.

Eh, very late in the game/retroactively, anyway.
    It's actually become even more obvious over time that she's essentially a somewhat more realized and yet segmented replacement for Luke.

Of all of the unknown female survivors, Lily remains my personal favorite as far as complexity, development, and survival skills.

I'd say same, at least from the immediate top of my head.

Poptarts posted: »

I'd rate Molly as a better survivor. * She has a solid skill set, and was able to survive in a populated city-scape for quite some time

• The story with Crawford is awesome, when Jane’s one is so so.
    And of course Jane is a straight copy of Molly, what are you talking about, guys?)

• The story with Crawford is awesome, when Jane’s one is so so.

Tangible context, basically.

The story with Crawford is awesome, when Jane’s one is so so. And of course Jane is a straight copy of Molly, what are you talking about, guys?)

• So Jane is an underdeveloped version of Molly who's weak-willed, but has a few special tricks up her sleeve??

• So basically Jane's Bizarro and Molly's Superman :D

• I don't know which one to choose. Both are skilled in their own ways (the good).
    And both have their own codes of honor.

Still miss Jane
    And I hope Molly will at least get a reference in TFS. Who knows, maybe a surprise appearance.

Side note, now that I know what happens with Jane, maybe it would be better if I refuse her company. I won't do it because I'm angry at what she will do, but I take to heart Rick Deckard from Blade Runner 2049:

And love as a friend.

• Molly and Jane actually have very similar backstories, but the method that it's revealed was handled a bit better with Molly. For Jane, it was little more than just telling Clementine. For Molly, our crew explores the area she was with her sister, discovers information, ect. It's not necessarily that Jane received less, but in how it was revealed. I think it could have been done better in Jane's case.

If I'm honest, Jane simply feels like a character that got smashed together with Lily's feud with Kenny, Molly's deceased sibling that's unable to be saved reveal, and was written out of S3 like pregnant Christa in S2. While there were a few alterations like leaving her sister that made Jane her own, she never felt original. I think the writers should've stuck to their guns and had a Luke vs Kenny or Luke vs someone ( who didn't get lucky, they could've had Lily return then. ) The late game changes ( as I don't believe it was the plan originally to have that set up ) still have people debating things in the forums.

DabigRG posted: »

Her backstory is more detailed and fleshed out. Eeeh...is it? Like, not really challenging or even doubting your statement there,

• Considering what a great white(?) Jane is, that's actually not a bad comparison.

Cosmic_Boy posted: »

So basically Jane's Bizarro and Molly's Superman

• Molly and Jane actually have very similar backstories, but the method that it's revealed was handled a bit better with Molly.
    For Jane, it was little more than just telling Clementine.

Fairly true.
    It's been a while, but she does indeed just bring Jaime up when walking to the trailer park. Don't recall if there was any real prompting.

For Molly, our crew explores the area she was with her sister, discovers information, ect. It's not necessarily that Jane received less, but in how it was revealed. I think it could have been done better in Jane's case.

To be a tad fair on this, Molly's place of origin was a location that the group actually had to visit at the time. That combined and her still being in the neighborhood meant you got full disclosure from two sources.
    Jane's problem(well, one of them) is that she really just came out of nowhere and tried hard to come off as as an superficially appealing yet complex character by active comparison to everything that was established before.

If I'm honest, Jane simply feels like a character that got smashed together with Lily's feud with Kenny, Molly's deceased sibling that's unable to be saved reveal, and was written out of S3 like pregnant Christa in S2.

She can be considered a mishmash of a number of things, to be honest. It just depends on what you wanna count/acknowledge and how "important" it all is.

While there were a few alterations like leaving her sister that made Jane her own, she never felt original. I think the writers should've stuck to their guns and had a Luke vs Kenny or Luke vs someone ( who didn't get lucky, they could've had Lily return then. ) The late game changes ( as I don't believe it was the plan originally to have that set up ) still have people debating things in the forums.

There's a pretty strong theory that much of what was ultimately done with Season2!Kenny was originally intended/considered for Carlos throughout earlier stages of development and the original outline. Given Gavin Hammond's reveal about Kenny Carver's original role in the Season, that has even less room for doubt.

Poptarts posted: »

Molly and Jane actually have very similar backstories, but the method that it's revealed was handled a bit better with Molly. For Jane, it w

• Molly tried to save her sister, Jane abandoned hers to die.

• That’s one thing about Jane. She hives up without trying. Molly went to great lengths to keep her sister alive

Cheddarhead posted: »

Molly tried to save her sister, Jane abandoned hers to die.

• To me Molly hands down. If for nothing else because Molly was an original idea. Jane was just a rehash of previous characters from the previous game.

• Jane was just a rehash of previous characters

Who else would you say she was a copy of?

sony12 posted: »

To me Molly hands down. If for nothing else because Molly was an original idea. Jane was just a rehash of previous characters from the previous game.

• Jane didn't just give up in trying to save her sister and that situation was a lot more dire than Molly's sister.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.