TFS Strength of Character Ranking

edited January 2019 in The Walking Dead

formerly known as Season 4's Initial Weak Link

Thus far, I think it's fair to say we've had some positive takeaways from TFS with Done Running. Taking the inquiry of @RainbowKitten in the different direction, however, I think it's somewhat fair to also consider some of the lesser impressions.
If you had to pick from any of them, which of the characters would you say isn't really good with you and/or needs some work?
And as a bonus, where and how do you think they can be improved?

EDIT: Trying to repurpose this a little bit to be about the characters in general.

Comments

• If I had to pick anyone to call a least favorite, it would likely be Mitch.

• Convinced some of these side characters only exist to be this seasons Mariana.
    Mitch, Willy, Ruby and Omar are all dull characters with little screentime and character development.
    When shit hits the fan in episode 2 (which it will), one of these characters will die and nobody will care.

• One would hope they'd be an Alvin instead, but then you realize that Marianna herself is nominally a struggle.
    So, Francine.

Jayroen posted: »

Convinced some of these side characters only exist to be this seasons Mariana. Mitch, Willy, Ruby and Omar are all dull characters with lit

• Mitch, Willy, and Omar are the 3 weakest for sure, followed by Ruby, and then Aasim who is the most developed out of the lesser characters, although I feel he will probably replace Marlon.

Just in general these characters needs to be fleshed out more. Like said above, I hope they dont just red shirt them where we dont really care about them, then they die.

• Omar/Mitch. If they die, I'll be like "...oh."

• edited September 2018

Personally, I'd say in terms of characterization and/or depth, the order is probably:
    Healthily Realized
    Marlon
    Alvin Junior
    Has a definitive voice
    Louis
    Assim
    Tenn
    Has Moments and/or Potential
    Violet
    Ruby
    Brody
    Willy
    Has their moniker/role
    Omar
    Clementeen
    Just There
    Mitch

• I think Aasim is a pompous asshole. Like they way he said "not to be rude, but y'know... bye" obviously was rude, like if you HAVE TO SAY THAT then it's CLEARLY rude lol

• I think it's because he knows he can sound blunt and a little testy at times.

-XYAB- posted: »

I think Aasim is a pompous asshole. Like they way he said "not to be rude, but y'know... bye" obviously was rude, like if you HAVE TO SAY THAT then it's CLEARLY rude lol

• Well, they haven't really had much time to develop his character so far anyway. I don't really know enough to judge him either way at this point.

DabigRG posted: »

If I had to pick anyone to call a least favorite, it would likely be Mitch.

• If I had to pick a character, it would be Louis. He's pretty much a one-note fun-loving guy at this point. He has tons of potential, but I feel like in just the first episode he's pretty one dimensional. (I like that dimension, but he needs two more.)

I'm excluding characters like Mitch and Omar cause they're basically just named extras at this point.

• Yeah, but that's kinda the point of this thread. Point out the characters that come up short for whatever and maybe suggest where they can be improved.
    Still, he's definitely rather generic.

patrickrc95 posted: »

Well, they haven't really had much time to develop his character so far anyway. I don't really know enough to judge him either way at this point.

• There is definitely some depth there hidden in certain scenes, so I definitely wouldn't say one-dimensional. Whatever that means.

If I had to pick a character, it would be Louis. He's pretty much a one-note fun-loving guy at this point. He has tons of potential, but I f

• There is, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Since Marlon's gone I'm assuming Louis will be getting lots of character development in coming episodes. That was just my initial reaction.

There is definitely some depth there hidden in certain scenes, so I definitely wouldn't say one-dimensional. Whatever that means.

• I'll say that Louis is at least 70% presentation over direct fleshing out in episode 1, with some elaboration if you go hunting.
    However, it's also very likely that he'll be getting actual backstory and emotional flexing next episode.

There is, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Since Marlon's gone I'm assuming Louis will be getting lots of character development in coming episodes. That was just my initial reaction.

• If I'm to be honest, we haven't got enough character development with the other kids. Episode2 will provide us with that hopefully. So for now I can't comment on who I dislike.

• edited September 2018

If you appeal to him, Louis does try to be the voice of reason when Marlon goes nuts. Plus, I'm expecting Louis to make a slight arc going into the next one. He just lost his best friend. That has got to leave him emotionally impacted in some way. At the very least he won't be as cheerful as he was in the first episode.

I'll say that Louis is at least 70% presentation over direct fleshing out in episode 1, with some elaboration if you go hunting. However, it's also very likely that he'll be getting actual backstory and emotional flexing next episode.

• I know, that's part of why I went down an extra 10%.

If you appeal to him, Louis does try to be the voice of reason when Marlon goes nuts. Plus, I'm expecting Louis to make a slight arc going i

• edited September 2018

Definetly Mitch, Willy and Omar.

Mitch reminds me of Jonathan Byers from Stranger Things. Willy looks like one of those terribly animated characters from early Playstation 1 CGI cutscenes and Omar is not Omar Little from The Wire and i'm upset because of it.

• Mitch really needs some fucking depth besides from being observant.

• Is he observant?

Findagon posted: »

Mitch really needs some fucking depth besides from being observant.

• i think mitch will be one of the few that make it into the final episode, i really do hope for that he seems cool and chill.. he even sided with me so i hope for that to happen after that i dont care if he dies even off screen just let him have a role through the season

Mitch really needs some fucking depth besides from being observant.

• "I'm carving a weapon." - said Mitch while carving a weapon.

"Haha that little dude said fuck." - said Mitch when AJ said fuck.

"That's a lot of food." - said Mitch when the group brings huge bags filled with food.

"You dick!" - said Mitch when Marlon reveals that he gave Tenn's sisters away.

"She kicked his ass." - said Mitch when Clem disarms Marlon off his gun.

So yes, I think he is and Louis said it too.

Is he observant?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2018

I kinda feel like that's an unfortunate side effect of having a decent sized cast of secondary/supporting characters. It doesn't matter what kind of story it is or who is writing it, at least one of them will always end up being cannon fodder.

On another note, I think there's a good chance the minor characters will get more screentime in episode 2. Generally speaking, it's far more important to focus on and establish your primary/main cast before expanding on the secondary characters. And I'd say the first episode did a good job with the former. And now that one of the main cast is already dead, there's ample time to promote one or two of the secondary characters, and develop the rest.

That being said though, one of them will end up being cannon fodder no matter what. Like, that's just the way it works. Tell me one apocalyptic story where they don't kill off at least one of the Mitch/Omar type characters.

Jayroen posted: »

Convinced some of these side characters only exist to be this seasons Mariana. Mitch, Willy, Ruby and Omar are all dull characters with lit

• Well I've learned something today. :lol:

"I'm carving a weapon." - said Mitch while carving a weapon. "Haha that little dude said fuck." - said Mitch when AJ said fuck. "That'

• I don't like Mitch's face. We need more girls

• Well thanks to Marlon...the school is short 3 girls

Dex-Starr posted: »

I don't like Mitch's face. We need more girls

• True, besides it wouldn't be the walking dead if everyone just survived, with the amount of characters we got and with only 3 episodes left I'd say we can expect about 1-2 characters per episode to die in some horrible fashion.

Maybe chef Omar will try to cook a life grenade and blow himself up... (Pun intended) :p

Deltino posted: »

I kinda feel like that's an unfortunate side effect of having a decent sized cast of secondary/supporting characters. It doesn't matter what

• It took me a minute to realize you mean in the past tense.

Well thanks to Marlon...the school is short 3 girls

• You are so wrong...I feel bad for you. Of course what can we expect...you are sort of a parasite just watching Lets Plays instead of being a paying customer. I kid....you have some good placements here...I just have a few issues.

Healthily Realized
    Marlon...well you got that right
    Alvin Junior....sure
    Clementine...I know you love to hate...but of all the characters she knows exactly what she wants and is willing to fight. Always with a comeback born of her years on the road. Willing to grant mercy and willing to make hard choices, Clem is coming into her own as a leader. Also willing to open up to people and be a protective mom.
    Has a definitive voice
    Louis...dude just wont shut his trap and lays himself bare for all to see
    Assim...I dunno...I think I would have put him in moments
    Violet...you mistake being quiet and standoffish as not having a voice...her conversations with Clem are more informative of her character than Louis manages with his clowning around. And if you go fishing you learn that she blames herself for the twins being lost...how much more will she feel that now that she knows Marlon sold them off for safety.
    Tenn I really want to see what his deal is...I still see him as weirdly dangerous to everyone in that picture

Personally, I'd say in terms of characterization and/or depth, the order is probably: Healthily Realized Marlon Alvin Junior Has a defin

• I'd be waiting for the physical release as I always have, Mz ConDesc.
    Also, why should anyone care, really?

Clementine...I know you love to hate...but of all the characters she knows exactly what she wants and is willing to fight. Always with a comeback born of her years on the road. Willing to grant mercy and willing to make hard choices, Clem is coming into her own as a leader. Also willing to open up to people and be a protective mom.

I thought we've been over this?
    She's pretty much the standard [vanilla?] protagonist right now, with little in the way of personal focus outside of the War scene(which is mainly callbacks until Louis asks the last question on Marlon's behalf) and her bond with AJ.

Louis...dude just wont shut his trap and lays himself bare for all to see

Except, ironically, in terms of his backstory and to an extent relationships, which have only been briefly mentioned and/or lightly alluded to.

Assim...I dunno...I think I would have put him in moments

He is clearly the pragmatic guy looking out for the group's survival in the long run and actively takes steps in pursuit of that continual goal, even if you kinda have to go hunting to get the main idea.
    Notice that also similar to Louis, he has had more uses and interactions with other characters compared to his counterpart[ unfortunately].

Violet...you mistake being quiet and standoffish as not having a voice...

So instead of the different stuff I was gonna say, I'll take the middle road by asking this: Can you explain much of Violet's character without [over]relying on Tenn's family?
    And then I might answer you've said here.Read:If I remember.

You are so wrong...I feel bad for you. Of course what can we expect...you are sort of a parasite just watching Lets Plays instead of being

• Has their moniker/role, Omar, Clementeen

I’m curious...

Personally, I'd say in terms of characterization and/or depth, the order is probably: Healthily Realized Marlon Alvin Junior Has a defin

• As to how it took so long to come up with that?
    Yeah, was really slow on that one..

Has their moniker/role, Omar, Clementeen I’m curious...

• edited September 2018

So instead of the different stuff I was gonna say, I'll take the middle road by asking this: Can you explain much of Violet's character without [over]relying on Tenn's family? And then I might answer you've said here.

Well...she has a darkly sarcastic sense of humor. She was also nice enough to let AJ finish his drawing regardless of whether or not you let her take the art supplies back. Basically, she's like Chloe Price but nicer and more chill.

I'd be waiting for the physical release as I always have, Mz ConDesc. Also, why should anyone care, really? Clementine...I know you l

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited September 2018

I'm fucking retarded and deserved to be stoned to death

So instead of the different stuff I was gonna say, I'll take the middle road by asking this: Can you explain much of Violet's character with

• edited September 2018

I can't breathe... :joy:

@patrickrc95 Well...she has a darkly sarcastic sense of humor.

Psst--ey man, you're ruining a teachable moment!

She was also nice enough to let AJ finish his drawing regardless of whether or not you let her take the art supplies back.
    Basically, she's like Chloe Price but nicer and more chill.

I was gonna say that I wish that reference meant a little more to me, but honestly, I think @RavenSnowstorm and a very brief snippet from an unrelated video told me just enough.
    So I'm gonna have to agree a bit with Good Kitty here.

• I wasn't comparing Clem. I was comparing Violet.

• Wow. Um.......yeah so, alright then. Just gonna go ahead and....fix that a bit......

I wasn't comparing Clem. I was comparing Violet.

• Sure She is a realist who has learned through harsh examples that happiness can be ripped from you at a moment's notice. She keeps her distance...we know that she was a firm believer in the greenhouse and it was the reason she traded with Brody her turn to hunt outside the secure zone with Marlon and the twins...ever since the greenhouse has been neglected. Sophi and Mini and Violet formed a trio that represented civil society...Sophie built things and was an artist...Mini was a singer and Violet was a bringer of life...growing food...hunting and fishing...in as much as you say Assim is pragmatic...Vi is a realist ...but in ep 1 we see her at her lowest point...only when Clem shows up...who may be the only other girl that Vi can even get along with...Brody and Violet have the twins as a wedge in their friendship...and I do not see Vi and Ruby as having anything in common.

So argue away...I am sure we can fight all year over this lol.

I'd be waiting for the physical release as I always have, Mz ConDesc. Also, why should anyone care, really? Clementine...I know you l

• Um...not really necessary.

• You don't understand, man. I CANNOT make mistakes. I must punish myself.

Um...not really necessary.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.