Number of The Walking Dead Players (all Seasons) PLAYSTATION PLATTFORMS ONLY

imageimage" alt="" title="" />

I already posted this on the TWDG subreddit, thought I might as well post this here.
Source: gamstat.com

*Note that Season 2 was on PS Plus for free in November 2015

Comments

• Does this list include downloads or money purchases? I'm assuming the former because of what you said about ps plus. That means that the collection's sales are quite low. TFS' total sales accumulate to just above 3.5 million, but if you consider that you get the collection for free by pre-ordering (but that several people bought it after episode 1 came out) and that you could estimate the Collection's normal sales at 10,000, sales would probably be between 2-3 million. I can see why Telltale went down.

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited March 2019

I can’t believe ANF did better than Michonne even when everyone knew they wouldn’t be playing as Clem. Maybe it’s because her face was on the cover. At least it did better than TFS

• ANF only sold because Clem. Lets not forget ANF bait and switched making you think it would be Clem's story.

Dex-Starr posted: »

I can’t believe ANF did better than Michonne even when everyone knew they wouldn’t be playing as Clem. Maybe it’s because her face was on the cover. At least it did better than TFS

• Does Xbox count?

• lol Survival Instinct

Yeah not really surprised,Telltale originally used to make fun point and click games with puzzles and shit it worked for TWD S1 but then they got more and more lazy on that,the writing went downhill,the choices didn't matter,
    like you want to keep Nick or Sarah alive ? Fuck you they die !
    You went with Kenny or Jane ? Fuck you they die !

so in the end people could just watch these games on Youtube and pretty much get the same experience and that's what they did.

• edited March 2019

@Ghetsis
    This list only counts the accounts that started these games once, no downloads or money purchases (with that being said, don't forget that many people share their games)

@Wheres_Dinner
    As it stands in the title, PlayStation 3, 4 and Vita only.

• Wow, according to the same site Tales from the Borderlands has nearly three million players.
    I know that Tales has been free on Plus before and has been on super sale forever but...the fact that a AA game can sell millions of copies on a single platform and still be considered a total failure by the company is honestly mind boggling.

What kind of money vacuum was Telltale running?

• Telltale was weird. They kept calling their games commercial fails but most weren't. Tales is the most baffling seeing as it was the last super well selling Telltale game and def made back more than its budget but they hardcore said it "failed."

I think the main issue is their horrible practice of "JUST BUY MORE IPS" so even though they were doing fine, the "lets just buy another fucking IP" kept throwing a fucking wrench in there as it was sucking up the most money and each game kept selling less and less because it wasnt a sequel to a game being asked for.

So Telltale was doing financially fine, but they considered their games "finical failures" because it wasnt enough to expand into a more AAA like studio. Just your average corporate greed. Telltales real finical failures were after ANF seeing as those games couldnt sell anything, thus leading to Telltale dying because they actually weren't making any money back.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Wow, according to the same site Tales from the Borderlands has nearly three million players. I know that Tales has been free on Plus before

• Am I the only living being that loved the fuck out of survival instinct? The zombie chase in the end of any mission had me on edge and terrified like nothing else from twd....guess that's just Me.

• Walkers actually chased you? They all for stuck on a fence in my playthrough

Am I the only living being that loved the fuck out of survival instinct? The zombie chase in the end of any mission had me on edge and terrified like nothing else from twd....guess that's just Me.

• I enjoyed that game. It was way better than A New Frontier.

Am I the only living being that loved the fuck out of survival instinct? The zombie chase in the end of any mission had me on edge and terrified like nothing else from twd....guess that's just Me.

• edited March 2019

Tfw ANF has more players than TFS

• I think the most peculiar thing I'm seeing here is that Season 1 and Season 2 sold the best on 3 consoles, while Survival Instinct(?) and ANF sold the next best on just one.
    That's...huh.

@Melton23 Tfw ANF has more players than TFS

Eh, it actually makes a fair degree of sense, when you think about it.

• This basically has proven my point about the final season all along. Thank you, guys! :angry:

• edited March 2019

Do you know that overlooked and underrated games exist?

This basically has proven my point about the final season all along. Thank you, guys!

• Yes, but let us keep that on the D.L, shall we? ?

AronDracula posted: »

Do you know that overlooked and underrated games exist?

• ANF's been around longer than TFS, how exactly is the weird?

I

Melton23 posted: »

Tfw ANF has more players than TFS

• edited March 2019

Because games that don’t do well tend to make the least amount of sales as opposed to a game that is viewed as on-par, if not just below, the standards of its best title. For example gta 5 is the 3rd most sold game of all time, yet it only came out in 2013, so that’s like saying the millions of games that came before it should have more players due to the logic that is they were released before that specific game was

ANF's been around longer than TFS, how exactly is the weird? I

• One must also consider that 'overlooked and underrated games exist'. Amiright, @AronDracula? :wink:

Because games that don’t do well tend to make the least amount of sales as opposed to a game that is viewed as on-par, if not just below, th

• Tbf a new frontier was heavily underrated

One must also consider that 'overlooked and underrated games exist'. Amiright, @AronDracula?

• Doesn't deserve to be called "underrated". It's the "Resident Evil 6" of Walking Dead.

Tbf a new frontier was heavily underrated

• I think you all know how I feel about that game. Teehee.

• No,no it really wasn't.

• Yeah I actually played through that game multiple times, it was a dumb fun zombie game that actually was kinda spooky from time to time

• Technically this isn't an objective overall data of sales. This is just what people with PS4s "own". It's telling that that the amount of "ownership" roughly corresponds to how long the games have been out.

I mean, the sales of TFS aren't even final, considering the last episode has not come out.

Because games that don’t do well tend to make the least amount of sales as opposed to a game that is viewed as on-par, if not just below, th

• Eh, more like average and eventually sub-par.

• But aren’t the majority of ownerships regarded as sales? I mean how many of those people went over to their friends and we’re like “oi, bruv, I got u some walking dead”

Technically this isn't an objective overall data of sales. This is just what people with PS4s "own". It's telling that that the amount of "o

• Well that’s your opinion, but I’m one of the rare breeds who still plays video games for fun

iFoRias posted: »

No,no it really wasn't.

• Well I’d say these numbers make sense for the most part and really aren’t that surprising.

Obviously S1 is at the top, it was a huge success and got a lot of publicity because of it.

S2 right after riding off the success of S1. If anything was a surprise to me on this list, it would be the fact that this game didn’t sell more copies. S2 wasn’t as good as S1, but it was still a blast to play and I believe a lot of people think the same, maybe this shows the beginning of the merge towards people just watching let’s plays.

Survival Instinct’s placement may seem surprisingly but it’s really not. This came out during the TV shows prime, slap Daryl on the cover, it’s gonna sell copies regardless of how bad the game actually is.

ANF is where we really started seeing a drop in sales. I think this was when people started realizing Telltale isn’t nearly as good as they used to be and their games are really starting to show that. Also, the three year gap between this and S2 probably didn’t help either.

Michonne, didn’t have Clementine in it so people didn’t really care. Didn’t help that the game turned out pretty bad as well.

And now TFS. It sucks to see it so low, However; I think it still has time. We still have the “waiting for the whole game to come out” crowd so I think it will eventually, at the very least, surpass michonne. After the lackluster ANF most people were kinda sick of Telltale’s BS, so this doesn’t surprise me.

If anything brings me joy in this list, it’s seeing the collection at the very bottom, where it belongs.

• I'll stand here and defend ANF till the day I die, but even I have to admit that if there was a single moment that caused Telltale's downfall, it was killing Jane/Kenny in the first damn episode

• edited March 2019

One of the gamstat fellas posted this graph here on the subreddit:

http://gamstat.com/export/walking-dead-season-2.gif

This graph shows the number of Season 2 players by date. As you can see, there's a huge increase after November 2015. That's the month where the second season was for free in PS Plus for the PS4, which leads to the conclusion, that the sales already started dropping drastically after the first season.
    According to the graph, before the game became available on PS Plus, the number of players didn't even reach 1 Million (it looks like it was around ~800k). This is pretty low if you ask me, since November 2015 is more than a year later after the release of episode 5.

But there's also something good you get to know from this graph: Until episode 5 released, the number was pretty low, just like TFS is now. That underlines the suggestion, that there's gonna be a huge boost on The Final Season's number of players when the last episode will be released.

• Unless individuals watch walkthroughs like me before they make hasty decisions. I certainly will not be buying the final season.

One of the gamstat fellas posted this graph here on the subreddit: http://gamstat.com/export/walking-dead-season-2.gif This graph show

• edited March 2019

If Episode 4 of TFS gets critical acclaim, the sales are absolutely going to spike.

The success of S1 came after the final episode. Then's when you started seeing the GOTY accolades and everyone passing the word around about the emotional ending.

If TT pulls on the heartstrings and hit on the right notes very effectively on Take Us Back we're going to see a repeat of 2012.

I bet half of the crazy sales for S1 came after Episode 5.

One of the gamstat fellas posted this graph here on the subreddit: http://gamstat.com/export/walking-dead-season-2.gif This graph show

• If TT pulls on the heartstrings and hit on the right notes very effectively on Take Us Back we're going to see a repeat of 2012.

Lol no,TWD franchise as a whole is nowhere near as popular as it was back in 2012,so even if TFS gets an ending as good as S1 (and i really doubt it) no one will care about it.

I'll just be happy if they can give us a decent ending at this point,i'm expecting/predicting a generic A,B,C choice for the endings.

If Episode 4 of TFS gets critical acclaim, the sales are absolutely going to spike. The success of S1 came after the final episode. The

• If TT gives us one ending you'll just complain it's a generic repeat of S1.

If TT pulls on the heartstrings and hit on the right notes very effectively on Take Us Back we're going to see a repeat of 2012. Lol

• Well there probably will be multiple endings i don't think it's possible to satisfy everyone with one ending imo.

If TT gives us one ending you'll just complain it's a generic repeat of S1.

• I honestly don’t care what you think

Well then why are you replying ?

Yeah you enjoyed the game who pretty much killed the entire series good for you man.

• Tbh, I doubt TFS will pass ANF in terms of sales. At least on PlayStation. But, who knows.

• To be fair, TFS still happened.

I honestly don’t care what you think Well then why are you replying ? Yeah you enjoyed the game who pretty much killed the entire series good for you man.

• I bet it matches around that number.

Tbh, I doubt TFS will pass ANF in terms of sales. At least on PlayStation. But, who knows.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.