PAX EAST Q&A with Creative Director Kent Mudle - hints at more games

Comments

• As much as many would love another telltale walking dead game it's time to end it for good.

The one thing the final season demonstrated to me is despite all of the improvements and successes it has that there is next to nothing left story wise.

• I think there is a story that can be told developing the Clem we are left with, but it's for the best if we just leave that to the imagination at this point.

I'd gladly welcome any continuation, but won't lose sleep if this is the absolute end.

• Would be happy enough to get more TWDG because I love the format, but Clem’s story had the perfect ending and getting people to buy into a new lead is a tough sell.

• I wouldn't mind if the next Walking Dead story, should there ever be one, focuses on an adult AJ (age 21 or older) and his further exploits. What he learned from Clementine would be a basis for his personality and moral compass. Clementine would be about 10 years older, (she was about 16 or so and AJ was 6 or 7 years old in Season 4) so not old enough to die of natural causes, so she either dies from being bitten from a different walker or by some other means (killed by a raider or something like that.) I don't think the next story should have too many details of what happened to her because it might backfire due to fans of Clementine being upset. Either that, or focus on an entirely different set of characters.

• Please no stop it,enough is enough.

• April fool's already happened, lol.

iFoRias posted: »

Please no stop it,enough is enough.

• Not with Clementine. If they're gonna do more games, they need to start over from the beginning, with a new cast, a new engine (Unity), and Resident Evil 2 inspired Gameplay with Choices on top of it.

• So what is this about now?

• ignores Kenny's hat

"Clem does Jane's knee trick in every episode!"

"Ah man, Kenny was great. PSYCH!"

blurggh

• Yes, inner Jane rules, okay?! ?

ignores Kenny's hat "Clem does Jane's knee trick in every episode!" "Ah man, Kenny was great. PSYCH!" blurggh

• hope they dont force a continuation where you play as AJ. Id be happy to see miniseries with different characters like Carver (showing more from the cabin crew and how Carver started going over the edge.) or Molly and Christa (to clear up wtf even happened to them.)

• A spin-off series would be fine by me.

But I'd also take Wolf Among Us Season 2, Game of Thrones Season 2, Tales From the Borderlands 2 or Stranger Things in a heartbeat.

• Out of all of those, I'll say give Stranger Things priority.

A spin-off series would be fine by me. But I'd also take Wolf Among Us Season 2, Game of Thrones Season 2, Tales From the Borderlands 2 or Stranger Things in a heartbeat.

• Maybe even add some story on what happened to Kenny if he left you at Wellington, since we got nothing on that from TFS. Not even his hat.

UrbanRodrik posted: »

hope they dont force a continuation where you play as AJ. Id be happy to see miniseries with different characters like Carver (showing more

• i think it could work pretty well in something like an episode with several short stories like 400 days.

Maybe even add some story on what happened to Kenny if he left you at Wellington, since we got nothing on that from TFS. Not even his hat.

• I seriously wouldn't mind having another short story-esque episode like 400 days to sum up what happened to them after they went missing, or from before we met them. If there is a chance we could see Omid's cat if they pick the latter I'd be 100% on board!

UrbanRodrik posted: »

i think it could work pretty well in something like an episode with several short stories like 400 days.

• Did this nibba say if they had determinant endings where Clem died and one where she lives it would just be the same?

Its multiple endings. It isnt the same. It would be the same if they did only one ending and it was Clem dying.

He says because he thinks no one would "stick" with that ending, but thats why you do an accumulation of choices the entire season to lead up to your ending. Make the whole game have replay value, make it more complicated to actually get the good ending than just restart that one scene. Just have endings where Clem dying feels like she saved everyone, have one where she lives but doesnt manage to save everyone, and then the ending we got. Make there 2 endings most people get, then the hard to get "true" ending that is more than just restarting a single episode to change one choice.

Also please just give up on the Telltale formula for Walking Dead games. They were only selling in the first place because of Clem and even that was shown to not be enough. Doing another series with new characters is just asking for their studio to close.

• TFBL S2 was most likely never happening and with BL3 releasing later this year it is even less likely of ever being made. Not to mention that months prior to Telltale's closure that nearly the entire TFBL left which means it would be nothing like the original.

TWAU S2 is all but mythical dream for fans nowadays.

A spin-off series would be fine by me. But I'd also take Wolf Among Us Season 2, Game of Thrones Season 2, Tales From the Borderlands 2 or Stranger Things in a heartbeat.

• One of the main problem's with Telltale's walking dead is Clementine is the only character that is actually profitable and favorable as a lead and the only character who the overwhelming majority of the fanbase is actually attached to.

Telltale has done such an abysmally poor job of long term character development of characters who they kill off just cause that Clementine is the sole character that can really carry the franchise and has any actual emotional investment in. Javier? The majority of people dismissed him as quickly as he came with many not even missing a beat of him being completely absent from the season finale. AJ? personally i honestly could care less about a furthered story with AJ and Telltale did such a poor job of building him into a potential lead that he's all but become a polarized character where he has his fans, but nowhere near the monolithic love and admiration the fanbase has for Clementine.

Poogers555 posted: »

Did this nibba say if they had determinant endings where Clem died and one where she lives it would just be the same? Its multiple ending

• edited April 2019

Theres a small chance Wolf 2 will be made by Adhoc studio by former Telltale devs (The good ones.) They apparently have already partnered with some kind of bigger ip/studio and have expressed interest in making Wolf 2, so really if whatever game they release comes out and puts them on the map in someway, theres a chance itll happen. Basically just riding on the hopes their first game does well.

Chibikid posted: »

TFBL S2 was most likely never happening and with BL3 releasing later this year it is even less likely of ever being made. Not to mention tha

• Okay, actually went ahead and read this.
    Well, I've got a bit more material to post and maybe write about.
    Also, anyone else have points where they tried to stop from laughing?

• edited April 2019

Also, anyone else have points where they tried to stop from laughing?

Yes, quite a few actually. Because alot of it felt hypocritical to what they showed in the game. Like that part where he said they couldn't bring in other characters, or talk about them, because they were already gone and it was better off leaving it obscure as how they left. That's a pathetic excuse, considering how many other characters came back from that exact point.

DabigRG posted: »

Okay, actually went ahead and read this. Well, I've got a bit more material to post and maybe write about. Also, anyone else have points where they tried to stop from laughing?

• To be fair on that one, he was at least honest in noting his lack of involvement and thus knowledge on some of them.

Also, anyone else have points where they tried to stop from laughing? Yes, quite a few actually. Because alot of it felt hypocritica

• https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/the-walking-dead-the-final-season-telltale-skybound-clementine-1203178827/
    Another interview, also with Ian from Skybound, that hints at future games even more heavily

• It sounds more like unfocused ideas with no solid attachment. It seems like it'll be a few years if ever that we get another telltale walking dead game depending on Skybound among many other factors.

Cheddarhead posted: »

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/the-walking-dead-the-final-season-telltale-skybound-clementine-1203178827/ Another interview, also with Ian from Skybound, that hints at future games even more heavily

• Yeah I don't think we'll be getting more Telltale-style games, just stuff like Overkill and mobile games set in the TWD universe

Chibikid posted: »

It sounds more like unfocused ideas with no solid attachment. It seems like it'll be a few years if ever that we get another telltale walking dead game depending on Skybound among many other factors.

• Multiple endings do ruin the emotional impact though. For example, sure Louis died in my playthrough, but who cares because I can just go back and save him, so I'm not shedding any tears over here.
    Also, this isn't Until Dawn. Giving us an ending were everyone just dies is stupid and make the whole journey we've been on feel completely pointless.

Did this nibba say if they had determinant endings where Clem died and one where she lives it would just be the same? Its multiple ending

• Or AJ lives/Clem dies and AJ dies/Clem lives. There can be a LOT of good discussion from endings like these.

• It could work if done properly as it was brilliantly in S2. Even though you had the option to replay for the ending you wanted didn't retract from the emotional impact each ending respectively had.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Multiple endings do ruin the emotional impact though. For example, sure Louis died in my playthrough, but who cares because I can just go ba

• It wouldnt be like "everyone dies." Personally if we were doing endings that focused more on Clem dying instead of like an ending where AJ can die, I would make it so there is the ending we got, an ending where Clem dies and everyone else lives, then an ending where Clem lives but Louis/Violet die.

And yeah, no one sheds tears about Louis/Violet because you can just go back 30 mins to change the out come, which is why they should have whole game replay value for endings you get. Games like Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, ect all have multiple endings and you dont see anyone saying it would be better if it all lead to the same thing (and also notice how those games sell, instead of Telltale's use to sell really good games, to cant even sell 1k copies on launch day.)

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Multiple endings do ruin the emotional impact though. For example, sure Louis died in my playthrough, but who cares because I can just go ba

• This.

It wouldnt be like "everyone dies." Personally if we were doing endings that focused more on Clem dying instead of like an ending where AJ c

• Both those games also had much bigger budgets than TFS though and Until Dawn really only had one ending, just with a determinent number of characters running out the door in the final scene

It wouldnt be like "everyone dies." Personally if we were doing endings that focused more on Clem dying instead of like an ending where AJ c

• Plus Until Dawn's story doesn't change based on your choices. Just who dies and who lives. Thus Its unfair to compare Until Dawn to Telltale

Both those games also had much bigger budgets than TFS though and Until Dawn really only had one ending, just with a determinent number of characters running out the door in the final scene

• Until Dawn's story doesn't change based on your choices. Just who dies and who lives.

Well of course. That's the goal of Until Dawn is to keep people alive...or kill them off if you want the trophy.

Plus Until Dawn's story doesn't change based on your choices. Just who dies and who lives. Thus Its unfair to compare Until Dawn to Telltale

• I also meant games along the lines of Detroit Become Human or Beyond Two souls.

Also its a fine comparison. Telltale can keep their shit linear all the way through the first 3 eps, even half way through episode 4, but make it so choices made in the past will change relationships with characters now, and lead to some actual branching that would lead to a whole whopping huge large amount of 3 endings.

Telltale's budget has become a sad excuse. Theres being unable to do something because of budget, and then there is being lazy. Like hell they can make the whole damn game the same, but make it so your relationship with AJ is what actually decides if he cuts off your leg or you die or not. Then the endings would be, Clem AJ Louis/Violet live. Clem dies, AJ lives Louis/Violet die, and then Clem lives, AJ lives, Louis/Violet die. This is some bare ass bone branching Im asking for.

Both those games also had much bigger budgets than TFS though and Until Dawn really only had one ending, just with a determinent number of characters running out the door in the final scene

• Yea that was kinda the point of my comment, to bring that up. Poogs was comparing Until Dawn to this game and I thought thats unfair because Until Dawn's story doesn't change based on your choices. And the ending is also always the same. Just some die and some live.

patrickrc95 posted: »

Until Dawn's story doesn't change based on your choices. Just who dies and who lives. Well of course. That's the goal of Until Dawn is to keep people alive...or kill them off if you want the trophy.

• Exactly. If it was possible with S1 and Bman then it should be possible now

I also meant games along the lines of Detroit Become Human or Beyond Two souls. Also its a fine comparison. Telltale can keep their shit

• A twd game that follows the tv series would be cool. With the characters being voiced by their respective actors and actresses from the show. I always wanted to play as Rick Grimes. The way Rick says Carl's name makes me laugh.

• If we're going that way i'd rather have a game that follows the comics series and the characters are voiced by the actors from the tv shows.
    Obviously that ain't gonna happen but that'd be a much better idea imo.

Scythenger posted: »

A twd game that follows the tv series would be cool. With the characters being voiced by their respective actors and actresses from the show. I always wanted to play as Rick Grimes. The way Rick says Carl's name makes me laugh.

• That would be a good idea. I was thinking of the gameplay being like Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, or Dying Light.

iFoRias posted: »

If we're going that way i'd rather have a game that follows the comics series and the characters are voiced by the actors from the tv shows. Obviously that ain't gonna happen but that'd be a much better idea imo.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.