The Community's Goodbye Letters -- Telltale's Closure [2018]

Comments

• edited May 2019

Maybe we can make our own subreddit? r/Telltaleforums? Jk there's only like 15 people here anyway. But let it be known that it was always the users that made this forum so great. It feels very different in its end times. I think there is still a chance of it surviving, at least past June. But in case I won't be able to log in after this, I just wanted to say farewell. It was nice to hear some of you talk about your lives, a lot of you are funny and smart, and a lot of you were passionate about what you spoke about. Even when the place had a lot of users active at once, this place still had that nice tight-knit feel. My Discord name is Ghetsis (2590)

Farewell.

• edited May 2019

Welp since it seems like it might actually soon be the death of the website so I'll do as the Romans do and say a few words.

The first season of Telltale's The Walking Dead had a huge impact on me as it literally changed my outlook of storytelling in video games. Before then I didn't really care about how a story was and was more like "Just let me shoot things! Bang bang!". But despite how dismissive I was of the game when it was first announced I watched a couple lets plays of it online and finally bought the game once episode two was released and the rest is history. I've bought every single Telltale game since and have enjoyed every single one of them, no matter the shortcomings some of them had.

I made an account in late 2013 when the Wolf Among Us was first released but only actually became an active member of the community in 2015 when things in my life weren't going too good. I was alone in a country I didn't recognise, with no friends to talk to and studying a subject I absolutely hated. But I managed to find companionship online with a bunch of you people on here and I'd like to just say thank you for being my friends during a time I had none.

Off the top of my head, thank you to @Blind Sniper, @dojo32161, @AChicken, @Acheive250, @MetallicaRules, @freelancepolicefan11, @Poogers555, @Pipas, @Melton23, @Deltino, @InGen_Nate_Kenny, @4k60fpsHDR, @AronDracula, @ClemyClooAndBabyboo, @Green613, @GreatWhiteWolf1, @captainivy1, @bruzdaa, @BetterToSleep, @DabigRG, @DaveTheArakin, @leatherwolf89 and many more who interacted with me through all these years. Through ups and down and whatever trails and tribulations that came before.

And of course, thank you Telltale. Thanks for making such entertaining games that were able to bring so many people together.

Also if any of ya'll want to stay in touch I'm on Discord and Steam with the username Lupinb0y. I have a lemon as my profile pic.

• edited May 2019

... Did no one else actually suggest making a subreddit?

Ghetsis posted: »

Maybe we can make our own subreddit? r/Telltaleforums? Jk there's only like 15 people here anyway. But let it be known that it was always th

• Some people will move on but not us ..... not us

• So, this might be the last time I can get all of this down where it belongs. Seems like the site will go down in some capacity tomorrow, so even though a big part of the people I mostly interacted with is no longer around here, I want to say a few words.

I first came into contact with Telltale back with Season 1 of The Walking Dead and it was a game that made me feel for the characters like few others. People can say what they want about the quality of later games, but this one is without any doubt a masterpiece and it will be rightly remembered as such. Now, many people can tell a good story, but what made The Walking Dead so different was that there was clear passion from the team behind it, which makes the game endearing no matter how often I replay it. Ever since, I became a huge Telltale fan and went on to buy a majority of their titles.

Though I made my account back in 2013, it was just for some small problem (which I still haven't found a solution for to this day XD). The time where I became mostly active on here and the reason why I stuck around were the interactive fanfictions which became super popular during Season 2 of The Walking Dead. So, June 2014 to May 2019, it's been almost five years. And those stories, while often varying in quality and while far more were abandoned instead of completed, they had the exact same thing I love about Telltale's games, there was passion behind them, enthusiasm from readers and writers. I don't think this could have happened in any other forum, with any other community. And though most of the writers from back then have left the forums, a few have still carried on with writing here all the way until the news of Telltale's studio closure. That is a part of the forums which I am certain the majority of users never really interacted with, but it's the one that caused me to stay for almost five years and I genuinely enjoyed being a part of it.

Most importantly for me, Telltale's work (especially Game of Thrones) and the interactive fanfictions on here inspired me to write my own fanfiction. Four and a half years later I am still writing, it's massive and the fact that there are still many people who enjoy reading it is humbling. Writing something of that scale has taught me a lot about storytelling in general and about myself and it helped me through a lot of hard times in the last two years. On top of that, reading the other stories on here and interacting with the other writers and readers, it was among the best things that have ever happened to me. There are people I met through this site whom I consider genuine friends.

This writing community was, in fact, so close that it even survived the end of the Telltale forums. We built up our own forum, dedicated to creative work in general and writing in particular. If anyone is genuinely interested in this part of the community, check out this link and feel welcome. Just don't expect a site similar to Telltale, the focus is not exactly on gaming and instead lies on creative work, with a lot of stories that originated here in the forums being continued and new work being built up. In general though, all matters of topics are appreciated. I don't think there can be a forum quite like this one ever again, but I know there's a Discord server with many of the users, so at least the community won't die.

What is left? Well, a ton of people I owe my sincerest gratitude, that's what. Be it people who supported my writing for years, or other writers or just genuinely great people I really enjoyed interacting with on here. A lot of fond memories, that's what. And just to be clear, it is so many that I might be forgetting a few people. But if we ever had any sort of meaningful interaction here on the forums, then feel included even if I don't mention you by name.

In no particular order, here's the people I really have to give a shout-out: @InGen_Nate_Kenny, @WildlingKing, @Bounden, @supersagig, @Domingez and @InKennyWeTrust, both of whom inspired me, @NoHopeLeft, @edinosaur23, @Mathea, @AgentZ46, @imighthavebrokenit, @Stigz_52, @captainivy1, @Pipas, @Chaosjester, @NightShroud18, @Xsensus and @Arrodor, @Lord_EAA, @Gustav_Kenny, @Javier Raviolli (whom I don't really seem to be able to tag), @Loki522, @CM3434, @DiverseGnu, @GMSforresthood, @drdestroyer18, @Disellis, @TheAPLegends, @Partition, @TheFurryOne, @The_not_chosen_one, @StarKing789, @TheRightfulKing, @Nolonius, @husmusen, @TheKingOfWalkers, @BitterSteel826218, @FluidStickyBen, @Tales-from-Telltale, @UntilDawna, @TeamKennyW00t, @finlander, @janitor, @Saltlick123, @MasterStone, @Crips, @DillonDex, @SuperChocoLatte, @SivD1, @TWD_25 (and I share Pipas' sadness for the cancellation :(), @mr.quality and @RenegadePoncho

Now, I am certain I forgot a lot of people, despite how many those already are. If you are not mentioned here, but you think you should be, well, I can assure you that I certainly meant to include you, but given that I want to get this post in before the forums go down, I am in a bit of a hurry. A lot of these people haven't been active in a long while, but the majority is still around, more or less, and I know that the biggest part of these people has followed to the new forum. With you, I am happy to remain in contact and for the rest, those whom I have not spoken to in a long time... may we meet again!

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited May 2019

I'll keep it short since I made a goodbye letter back in September and a thing in the Whatever Threat yesterday.

Moderating hasn't always been the most clean of work, but I really appreciate it. It's been cool, getting to know all of you (sometimes in ways I'd prefer not to know, lol). I miss Telltale, but I think I'll miss this place more. 4.5 years. Quite a ride. So many cool memories, so many great games. Love my mod buddies, they rock. I won't tag everyone else, since I've done that a lot before, but you know who you are.

But all good things must come to an end. It's a shame it ends like this, but at least we got these few months since Telltale shut down, and the rest of The Final Season. No Wolf 2 or Tales 2, or Poker Night 3, that sucks, but I'm glad with what we got.

So, if this my last post, here's a cool line to end on. With love!:

"I'll see you around...Wolf"

-InGen

• May 8th 2019
    11:59pm Pacific Time

• edited May 2019

Inb4 nothing happens ☀️✨?

AChicken posted: »

May 8th 2019 11:59pm Pacific Time

• Maybe we can make our own subreddit? r/Telltaleforums?

You know, that's not such a bad idea. Shame no one thought of it sooner, now there indeed aren't that many people left. :D

Ghetsis posted: »

Maybe we can make our own subreddit? r/Telltaleforums? Jk there's only like 15 people here anyway. But let it be known that it was always th

• edited May 2019

Thank you very much for mentioning me, Sebasian! I'm sorry for my recent inactivity in the Creator's Haven but I'll make sure I catch up with the story. Just wanted to let you know that I've started translating Chapter 2 of Act 2 in Forum of Thrones and I'm glad to continue this work, despite lacking time because of my final exams and general exhaustion. You're amazing. Creator's Haven took the best part of this forum and preserved it. See you there soon, hopefully :)

So, this might be the last time I can get all of this down where it belongs. Seems like the site will go down in some capacity tomorrow, so

• edited May 2019

Every time somebody calls me a good fic writer I start crying, because I wrote like one piece of shit at the age of 12 with a pretty bad knowledge of English, lol. But this brings me so much warmth. You're awesome, Pipas. Thank you so much.

I don't remember if I've already hit you up on Discord, but if not, I'll definitely do it.

Pipas posted: »

Oh right, I just realized I haven't written a goodbye letter, have I? I swear I was planning to, but I'm not really good at writing long com

• This writing community was, in fact, so close that it even survived the end of the Telltale forums. We built up our own forum, dedicated to creative work in general and writing in particular. If anyone is genuinely interested in this part of the community, check out this link and feel welcome.

... Would I be able to post my own original short stories on there to gather feedback?

So, this might be the last time I can get all of this down where it belongs. Seems like the site will go down in some capacity tomorrow, so

• Yes, absolutely! We got a section for short stories that don't exactly aim for length, you can post pretty much any work you wish to share there.

lupinb0y posted: »

This writing community was, in fact, so close that it even survived the end of the Telltale forums. We built up our own forum, dedicated to

• edited May 2019

Cool! I've made an account for if ever I decide to post some stuff one there! Just wondering though, I don't really see an option to create a new discussion in the 'Original Works' thread.

Yes, absolutely! We got a section for short stories that don't exactly aim for length, you can post pretty much any work you wish to share there.

• edited May 2019

Hey everyone, after seeing Lupinb0y's comment I made a subreddit. I'm going to need moderators and people to help me pimp it out with an icon and banner, and also an actual description for the subreddit. PM me on the Reddit if you want mod.

https://www.reddit.com/r/telltaleforums/

update: Poogers is on board

• edited May 2019

I just joined now and I'll be a mod if you want uwu

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Hey everyone, after seeing Lupinb0y's comment I made a subreddit. I'm going to need moderators and people to help me pimp it out with an ico

• edited May 2019

Nice! I've Subscribed :tongue:

Maybe make a main post about it so that more people are aware of it?

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Hey everyone, after seeing Lupinb0y's comment I made a subreddit. I'm going to need moderators and people to help me pimp it out with an ico

• edited May 2019

I’ve read that this website may not stay up for much longer, so, I wanted to make one last post here before it shuts down for good.

Telltale Games has been one of the greatest things to have been a part of my life over these past 7 years. Back to the Future the Game was my very first Telltale game, and I have been a fan of them ever since. As more games were made, while
    many disliked how they were made, I've always been invested in the stories they tell. When Telltale shut down, I was shocked and in disbelief. I held onto the hope that the Walking Dead Final season would be finished somehow. And thanks to Skybound, we were given the closure we wanted and all that hoping paid off. When it was all over, I had cried more than when Lee died, more than when I said goodbye to Kenny, more than when Reuben died and when Sasha almost died. Clementine defying fate for a happy ending had me cry tears of joy.

And it's not just games made by Telltale that brought us together. There was also God of War, Uncharted series, Detroit: Become Human, Life is Strange, and much more. Even though Telltale will be gone, it will never be forgotten. It's legacy shall live on through all of us and all the memories we've made. So, thank you Telltale Games, @MetallicaRules, @Poogers555, @AChicken, @Deltino, @AronDracula, @AnimalBoy, @InGen_Nate_Kenny, @MichaelBP, @dojo32161, and to everyone who has been a part of this awesome community.

• It looked like the forum had shut down earlier but now it's back, so just in case it tanks again I'm just going to once again say what an honor it was to be part of this community for so many years. There were lots of ups and downs but ultimately this was a great place to escape to. I love Telltale games and still can't believe they're gone. Thanks for the memories everyone, I hope to see everyone at the Walking Dead game Reddit as well as the Telltale forums Reddit. Hopefully this place stays up a while longer but just in case, peace everyone

• I will keep it short, just saying thanks for all the good time i had here. I thank everyone for being in this community no matter who you are. Thank you for posting interasting discussions and for making this all possible. I always visit this forum every day and now when it shuts down i dont know where else to escape now.
    Its just sad that it has to end.

• Guys wtf the site is back somehow

• I guess it's breathing it's last breaths.

Guys wtf the site is back somehow

• It's really eerie watching this place flicker in and out of existence. I've seen sites die before, but never quite as dragged out as this... Anywho.

I don't really have a letter to leave. Most of the people I chatted with here either drifted away after TFTBL was done, orrrr I have them on discord. Still - I'll miss this place. Y'all were cool, and it was always comforting to know you guys were around.

(And d'aw, thanks Pipas! Both for this letter, and for sticking with the Forum Games people right 'til the end. Meant a lot to me that you kept reading despite the unholy amount of hiatuses Embellishments has gone on, and I'm sure the others feel the same way.)

• Since it seems we have another chance, I suppose I shall muster something to say:
    I'll miss this community. It's been such a part of my routine for almost three years now that it'll leave a considerable vacancy in my days as well as in my heart.
    I'll miss this site format. Being able to create, post, edit, or later even draft various things to discuss, share, or simply say is such a smooth, convenience process that I don't think will be replicated anytime soon.
    I'll miss the threads. Such a minute, infinitesimal thing to consider, but these really are the bread with which we had spaces to talk and express ourselves among each other from what I assume was day one. This includes my creations as well as others, which I often tried to keep alive and relevant so that they may continue to be consistent places for fun and debate.
    I'll miss the moderators, staff, and/or other squids as @RavenSnowstorm used to call y'all. You dedicated much of time to keeping this place orderly, as well as occasionally descending to share your own thoughts and even insights with the rest of us. I must say that I really only recall interacting with, like,
    five or seven of you during my time here, but that extends to all of you mighty officials.
    And finally, I'll miss the little people, the community members, the fans, the commenters, the reactionaries, the artists, the shit shooters, and yes, even some of the trolls, jerks, spammers. It is you--nay--it is us who populate this very community, giving it life, characters, variation, and substance throughout it's decade long tenure. There's been ups, there's been downs, and there's been all arounds, but there's always been posts.

• You should join the subreddit. I probably won’t be joining it, at least not just yet, maybe one day, but you’re this forums’s mascot (no offence intended) so lord knows you’ll be an integral part of the place with your mostly weird and hard to understand comments

DabigRG posted: »

Since it seems we have another chance, I suppose I shall muster something to say: I'll miss this community. It's been such a part of my rou

• edited May 2019

What the FUCK is this Purgatory??!!
    The site lives and dies and lives... this is so weird...

You guys are great tho for keeping this thread alive. It's so nice.

• Are you Cereal how is this site come back from the dead

• Oh hi Mark

• accepts that the site is dead "LeTs move on"
    checks back for sake of checking "site is back"
    Am I a joke to you ?

• Yeah seriously.

accepts that the site is dead "LeTs move on" checks back for sake of checking "site is back" Am I a joke to you ?

• edited May 2019

Was in the middle of writing something when I thought to do this here:
    Before I get too downing, let's give a shoutout to the staff. From the the Telltale Dev Team Twitch Stream that was done in honor of the premiere to the AMAs that were held after some episodes, their hospitality was legit one of the few positive things to come out of that 2016-2017 semester onward. To have some writers, voice actors, and other developers take the time out of their lofty schedule to come down, answer our questions, and level with us was something special--at least for me personally. So I'd like to take to time to say--Ms. Finley, Mr. Douglas, Mr. Schroyer, Mr. Stauffer, Mr. Howe, Mr. Mudle, Ms. Liddick, Mr. Ortega, Mr. Lenart, Mr. Latino, Mr. McManus, Mr. Shorette, Ms. Shennoy, Ms. Rapp, Ms. Jones, Mr. Hammon, Ms. Yvette, Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Herman, Mr. Thomas, Ms. Hutchinson, Mr. Fennoy, and all your many other talented guys&gals I'm blankin on--thank you.

• edited August 2019

To all members of the TellTaleGames,

As we are all aware, TellTaleGames, came to an end last year Oct 2018. I must say its been a wonderful experience for the past 3 years on this forum. I been away much of the time due to having graduating from college with my Bachelors this year and now i'm moving on to my Masters so that's why I was not active this year.

However, I have really enjoyed my time here meeting many fellow users and having discussions in The Walking Dead section of the forum. I always enjoyed when we would argue over Kenny and if he had Clementines best interest at heart, along with expressing and mourning the fall of Lee, and the anger we all felt when Lily betrayed the group and tried to kill Clem. In addition, it was great to share our hobbies and interest in the General section of the forum and just have a fun time.

I was shocked and saddened when I found out that TellTaleGames was shutting its doors, I though maybe they were going to pull through but sadly this was not the case. In any case the time on this site has been well spent and I'n glad for the time being we have place where we can still interact with those who are still with us. Overall to the workers, voice actors, and staff of TellTale thank you for putting in your time and dedication in producing us with high quality games and entertainment. The TellTale community to me was not simply a forum of fellow gamers, rather we were and are a family and many of us grew close to one another during our time here and for that i'n grateful. To all of you I wish you well and nothing but the best, and perhaps I will run across some of you on other gaming forums if not I bid each of you Godspeed and best wishes to everyone.

Sincerely,

FanOfClementine.

• edited August 2019

Well this thread is just awkward now haha..

• Time for community "welcome back" thread haha. (I'm sorry for my name clogging all the latest posts but I can't help it. I missed this place and the fact that telltale is "back" just warms my biscuits).

iFoRias posted: »

• Yeah, I'd say this thread aged really well...

• NikolahNikolah ModeratorVerified

The passion of the players and the telltale community was inspirational to us each and every day.

iFoRias posted: »

• edited August 2019

There's quite a bit of negative buzz going on right now, partly due to some misinformation, but I just wanted to say that I really hope you guys manage to pull it off and do right by the original company and its staff.

I absolutely wish you all the best of luck!

Nikolah posted: »

The passion of the players and the telltale community was inspirational to us each and every day.

• this meme again

• Well even if Telltale seems to be reviving, at least we wrote them at a time when it didnt look promising. So at least it was on the safe side during that period.

Poogers555 posted: »

this meme again

Sign in to comment in this discussion.