Lucas Arts Should buy Telltale

what do you think?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    No thanks..... I do not want TTG to stop making Adventure games.
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    No thanks..... I do not want TTG to stop making Adventure games.

Lucas Arts could give them more money to make there games even better
  • edited June 2010
    eh Lucas Arts is going back to making Adventure games so they might as well get telltale to help them out
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale employees left LucasArts for a reason...it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of them branching out on their own to just be merged back with them. No, they should stay where they are and make it on their own. No mergers. No buy-outs. They really don't need it.
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale employees left LucasArts for a reason...

yeah but Lucas Arts is making Adventure games again so Telltale might as well get back with Lucas Arts. Lucas Arts has a lot more money and could fund Telltale
  • edited June 2010
    Read my edit regarding money. And no, LucasArts aren't making adventures again. They remade and re-released a few. But they haven't made any new titles yet. Just because they've done this doesn't mean they're going to suddenly support adventures all-out again. I certainly don't want them to buy Telltale. Maybe they could partner and work together, but I don't want LucasArts owning any part of Telltale. It's too dangerous what with LucasArts' unpredictable nature.
  • edited June 2010
    This might be the worst idea ever. Lucasarts couldn't give them "more money" because their sales have to be higher in order to be able to spend money on a project, money doesn't just fall from the sky. Their sales must be greater than or equal to their budget for a title, otherwise they're losing money. Spending more money on a game doesn't mean it will have more sales.
  • edited June 2010
    I laughed when I read the title
  • edited June 2010
    Why does everyone hate Lucas Arts now?
  • edited June 2010
    I respect TTG for keeping it real LA hasn't kept it real since the mid 90s...
  • edited June 2010
    I am surprised that anyone can say that about Lucas Arts. After 10 years they decided to take a risk and remake a 19 year old game. you gotta give them credit for that
  • edited June 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »
    I am surprised that anyone can say that about Lucas Arts. After 10 years they decided to take a risk and remake a 19 year old game. you gotta give them credit for that

I do and love what they did to MI 1 SE and what we seen of 2 but they haven't made any new adventure games in years and even if they do now they could one day stop and make star wars for seeminly ever again. If they owned TTG it would be a huge blow to adventure games one it might not recover from
  • edited June 2010
    Let Lucasarts make their own adventure games.... I still have doubts we will see more after the new special edition.. I hope they do...

Telltale makes good enough games as they are.... the graphics are good enough, the writing gets better each season.. and the Music is beyond phenomenal.

There is no reason for the two to become one... they do fine on their own... Good thread though it lends to some real debate.
  • edited June 2010
    File?id=dd8r2nx6_26cx5tpghg_b
  • edited June 2010

Do you know what the Golden Age of Lucas Arts refers to? It's long past expired.
  • edited June 2010
    After 10 years they decided to take a risk and remake a 19 year old game.

Although I realize what you actually meant to say, this sounds decidedly funny.
  • edited June 2010
    This thread makes me sad. I'm glad to see most of you feel it would be a bad thing.
  • edited June 2010
    people who vote yse shouldn't be on this forum. It is blasphemy,.
    People who vote yes are like a child who goes back to a person that has bullied it for ten years and asks if it wants to be friends and then gets kicked in the nuts.
    This shouls not happen to telltale
    and that logo wouldn't happen the ttg logo would be scraped altogether if lucas arts bought the company.
  • edited June 2010
    It's not that I have no faith in LucasArts....they really do need to do a lot more to prove themselves to me of course, but I don't doubt them that much. I just don't believe there's anything to be gained by LucasArts owning Telltale. And, as I said, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of Dave and co creating their own company to get away from being under somebody.

Partnering is cool. Merging/buying out is not.
  • edited June 2010
    If LucasArts really wants to make adventure games, they should just buy "Autumn Moon" and hire Ron Gilbert. But since they are not doing any of that, I guess they are sticking with the the Star Wars action games.

I think Telltale is doing fine on it's own. Maybe TTG should buy LA instead! :D
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure Bill Tiller wouldn't appreciate being bought out for the same reasons TTG wouldn't.
  • edited June 2010
    jermy52 wrote: »

March 3, 2004
  • edited June 2010
    I voted yes. They should have them as their adventure games studio. Perfect for we consumers.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure Bill Tiller wouldn't appreciate being bought out for the same reasons TTG wouldn't.

Yeah, but unlike Telltale, Tiller really needs a better writer and a publisher. :)
  • edited June 2010
    March 3, 2004

Allow me to expand upon this. LucasArts canceled all production on 'Sam & Max: Freelance Police', which was the intended 3D sequel to 'Sam & Max: Hit the Road'. The game was being designed by Michael Stemmle in collaboration with Steve Purcell (the creator of and great mind behind Sam & Max). It was in production for about 2 years and was looking very promising; the fans were eager to play it, and the makers were very excited about releasing it to the fans. The production was powering along and completion wasn't far off, but then the monkeys upstairs who were running LucasArts decided to cancel the project completely and the game was never released. After that, the fans and the team working on Freelance Police both felt a feeling of hatred toward LucasArts. Steve Purcell had this to say:

"LucasArts' sudden decision to stop production on Sam & Max is mystifying. Sam & Max was on schedule and coming together beautifully. I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the writing, gameplay, hilarious animation and the gorgeous 3D world that Mike Stemmle's team has created. The rug has been pulled out from under this brilliant team who've so expertly retooled Sam & Max for the 21st century. I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed especially for the team who have devoted so much effort and creativity to Sam & Max. It's a shame to think that their accomplishments, as well as the goodwill that has been growing in the gaming press toward this project, will all go to waste due to this shortsighted decision."

LucasArts decision was the final arsehole-ish move in a series of arsehol-ish moves from LucasArts, and it showed that the true LucasArts was dead and gone. What was once a great and unique company had morphed into just another corporate monster. LucasArts, from then on, just made games that would sell well, most of which were Star Wars games - a franchise that they have since milked for all it's worth. Hopefully now you see why we all dislike LucasArts so much.
  • edited June 2010
    thin029 wrote: »
    I voted yes. They should have them as their adventure games studio. Perfect for we consumers.

Erm, how is having less companies competing in the genre better for consumers again?
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Allow me to expand upon this. LucasArts canceled all production on 'Sam & Max: Freelance Police', which was the intended 3D sequel to 'Sam & Max: Hit the Road'. The game was being designed by Michael Stemmle in collaboration with Steve Purcell (the creator of and great mind behind Sam & Max). It was in production for about 2 years and was looking very promising; the fans were eager to play it, and the makers were very excited about releasing it to the fans. The production was powering along and completion wasn't far off, but then the monkeys upstairs who were running LucasArts decided to cancel the project completely and the game was never released. After that, the fans and the team working on Freelance Police both felt a feeling of hatred toward LucasArts. Steve Purcell had this to say:

"LucasArts' sudden decision to stop production on Sam & Max is mystifying. Sam & Max was on schedule and coming together beautifully. I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the writing, gameplay, hilarious animation and the gorgeous 3D world that Mike Stemmle's team has created. The rug has been pulled out from under this brilliant team who've so expertly retooled Sam & Max for the 21st century. I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed especially for the team who have devoted so much effort and creativity to Sam & Max. It's a shame to think that their accomplishments, as well as the goodwill that has been growing in the gaming press toward this project, will all go to waste due to this shortsighted decision."

LucasArts decision was the final arsehole-ish move in a series of arsehol-ish moves from LucasArts, and it showed that the true LucasArts was dead and gone. What was once a great and unique company had morphed into just another corporate monster. LucasArts, from then on, just made games that would sell well, most of which were Star Wars games - a franchise that they have since milked for all it's worth. Hopefully now you see why we all dislike LucasArts so much.

hey you cant blame Lucas Arts for not making adventure games anymore. Grim Fandango came out and it was a commercial failure(look it up if you don't believe me). So what were they supposed to do? If they kept making adventure games they would lose all there money because there are lots of people willing to buy low risk Star Wars games and only a few people wanting to buy high risk Adventure game.
  • edited June 2010
    File?id=dd8r2nx6_26cx5tpghg_b

I cannot wait for the Star Wars Action game episodes TTG would be doing if they were bought by LA. Who needs adventures. Seriously. Lucas Arts is not doing any adventure games. They are rereleasing and remaking some but I don't read anything about a completely new game.
  • edited June 2010
    hey you cant blame Lucas Arts for not making adventure games anymore. Grim Fandango came out and it was a commercial failure(look it up if you don't believe me). So what were they supposed to do? If they kept making adventure games they would lose all there money because there are lots of people willing to buy low risk Star Wars games and only a few people wanting to buy high risk Adventure game.

First of all, they made Escape From Monkey Island 2 years after Grim Fandango, and were working on Sam and Max and Full Throttle sequels after that for a couple years, so saying GF's sales caused it is ignorant. Second, rather than make lower budget adventure games, LEC decided it was better to just ignore the genre and their entire fan community altogether in favor of lazily cashing in on the SW milking. Basically, the decision was made because of greed, they decided their development time and resources could be better spent on titles with higher profit margins, rather than sticking to their roots and doing right by their long-time fans, and making moderate profits at best.
  • edited June 2010

Yes, but money had already gone into the game and development was well past the half-way point. If money had already been spent on the game, why not just finish the damned thing off? And I can assure you that the game would have been more successful than 'Grim Fandango', because 'Freelance Police' was a sequel of an already loved game while 'Grim Fandango' was a completely new game and concept.
  • edited June 2010
    Somehow I feel the reason they made Special Editions at all, is because they realized how successful TTG was becoming with their adventure games, and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

I think Telltale is doing just fine on their own. We need different companies like this. Maybe Telltale's success will continue to drive LA toward making more adventure games, but it won't if they just buy them out.

Also, I like TTG's distribution methods better. I'm still annoyed at LA for not letting me buy a hard copy of SMI:SE.
  • edited June 2010
    Jenny wrote: »
    Also, I like TTG's distribution methods better. I'm still annoyed at LA for not letting me buy a hard copy of SMI:SE.

Yes, I strongly agree with this. Half of the joy of owning a PC game is being able to have the box to look at and have on your shelf alongside the rest of your collection.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah I am a collector I like having boxes and discs with pretty pictures on them ..... so when the Zombies attack I will still be able to play then on a PC connected to a generator... Its almost like Lucasarts has not even thought about zombie invasions.... and what is up with them not selling it on their own site? Why even use steam... I mean come on their parent company figured out how to put a dinosaur on a movie screen in 1993 but digital distribution confuses and or scares them?
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    so when the Zombies attack I will still be able to play then on a PC connected to a generator... Its almost like Lucasarts has not even thought about zombie invasions....

Exactly! I am completely covered in case of attack, except for my ability to play SMI:SE when stuck in my floating bomb shelter.
  • edited June 2010
    Both special editions will probably be released on a DVD together at some point
  • edited June 2010
    I must admit, if ANY company were to buy TTG, it'd probably be best it was LucasArts.
    But, no. Why ruin a perfect thing? ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Both special editions will probably be released on a DVD together at some point

Do you mean 'in one package'? I think I'd prefer them to be sold individually/separately. It'd just be nicer. I fear that if they were to come as a single package, then there'd be some sort of 50/50 cover artwork similar to the split-screen when playing multiplayer on a console game.
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale should buy LucasArts. :D

Well... no. I like things the way they are. LucasArts decided to target their games at the Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans (and anything else they make) while Telltale brought back the adventure game genre for those of us who want more point and click games! Things are just fine the way they are.
  • edited June 2010
    I voted no. A clear and loud no. TellTale should remain an independent studio, so they can keep making the games they want.
    But I'd love more LucasArts-TellTale specific partnerships (TOMI season 2, the long awaited Star Wars adventure game that all fans have been dreaming for...), and TellTale becoming the external studio that makes LucasArts' adventure games, just like Bioware makes LucasArts' RPGs, and other studios makes LucasArts' other games.
  • edited June 2010

You can't if you're on the board of directors, which I imagine nobody here is.

The only thing we as consumers should care about is how good the company is doing at appeasing their customers. A lot of us long-time LA adventure fans essentially had our heart torn out and stomped on by the brass at Lucas for the sole reason of cashing in on easy to sell IP to make a bigger profit.

Lucas has only recently begun to listen to their customers again with the release of SoMI:SE and MI2:LR:SE. Those games may not make huge profit margins, but LA's image has vastly improved since the fall from their Golden Age to their Dark Age because of that fact.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.